Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I've ruled out all but RAV4 & CR5. The fact that the Toyota has Traction/Stability Control makes it choice #1 for me. I don't believe the CR5 even offers T/S Control.
    Seems like it'd be safer for a young girl or anyone else to have T/S Control than not. The Toy offers that, if I understand it correctly.
    I currently drive a '01 Mazda Protege ES and as much as I like that car (I plan on keeping it!)I decided on a mini ute for the sole reason of ease of entrance and egress as I slide towards geezerdom at age 56. :o)

I have an unused factory strut tower brace complete kit to install.

Like, Zoom zoom man.

Yooper 53
    I'm waiting to see what Honda and Toyota have to offer for '05.

Yooper 53
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    So all readers are aware that the Insurance Institute conducted two tests of 2004 RAV-4s, first without side/curtain airbags? That one received a POOR rating. Toyota then provided a 2d model with side/curtain airbags and that model received a BEST PICK. Why not one RAV-4 in all the inventories of the dealers in the entire Gulf States region is equipped with this option is shameful in my opinion and is one reason why I have not purchased a Toyota SUV. The same problem exists with 4Runners and Highlanders. They are happy to load these vehicles up with $1700 Extra Mile Packages that are useless compared to side airbags. So if you live in a region where side air bag equipped RAV-4s exist, lucky you. Hold firm and let the ones not so equipped rot on dealer lots; maybe then Toyota will get the message.
    Roger that!

Yooper 53
    Any of you who are serious about trying to remedy Toyota's failure to equip its models with side air bags/curtains, PLEASE do the world a favor and register your complaint with their corporate section by calling 800 331 4331, extension 3. Please do some homework in your area first. As I mentioned earlier, I did a web search for inventory equipped 4-Runner SR-5 and Sport models (Toyota is happy to equip Limiteds with side air bags at a total cost of $6,300+ more) and RAV-4s of any model in the greater New Orleans area. Out of over 150 4-Runners there was only 1 in the entire area (and it was in the only color I did not want) and out of over 200 RAV-4 models, there were none. If you need help on how to conduct such a search in your area, let me know. If you had seen the Dateline NBC program on this, you would not even consider buying a Toyota without this feature, so please take a few minutes to voice your opinion to Toyota.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    if you want airbags on a any vehicle order one from the factory. why do you think you have to pick something the dealer has on the lot?
    it takes a long time to special order, some dealers won't do it and they always charge A LOT MORE for special orders. who does NOT want side air bags? just curious.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Some people want to save the money.
    Some people are frightened that if someone is sleeping and leaning against the door when the car gets broadsided, the airbag might injure them whereas if they were leaning against the door sleeping while the car was broadsided and there was no airbag, they would be safe.
    Was answer 1518 a joke? OK, assuming it was not, People, can we have a vote?

(A) If you are more frightened that if someone is sleeping and leaning against the door when the car gets broadsided and they are injured by THE AIR BAG, please vote A.
     (B) If you are more frightned that a drunk or stupid person broadsides your vehicle while you are driving along minding your own business and paying attention to all traffic laws and in the process smashes to you smithereens because your vehicle was not equipped with side air bags by a manufacturer who knew they could save your life but for whatever reasons neglected to install them, please vote B.
      I thank you for your time.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the real concern is kids:

"children who are seated near a front or rear side air bag can be at risk for serious injury." link

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How about

(C) We ask for clarification rather than baiting with provocative polls?

:-)

tidester, host
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Yes, some people are more concerned about themselves or small children being injured by a side airbag than they are concerned about injuries sustained from the vehicle not having side airbags in a collision.
    Plus they save some money by skipping the side airbags that they can apply towards other options, and dealer-installed accessories etc..
    I must apologize. I did not think that there were knowledgeable people in the world who did not want a vehicle equipped with life saving side air bags and air curtains. But then again, I cannot imagine who likes sitcoms with piped in laughter, mobile homes, cheea pets and those hanging light fixtures with Venus in the middle surrounded by wires that drip some kind of oil, yet those products sell. I guess I got my answer as to why Toyota manufactures so many of its vehicles without side air bags. Thank you for your clarification.
    so you are saying its wiser to delete the airbags and buy splash guards or side step bars than it is to save a life? get real!
    I take it you are voting Choice B, rhouser2? Something tells me you own no cheea pets. You probably don't smoke cigarettes either.
    you got that right. life is was to precious to throw away.
    Thanks rhouser2

So far we have: Choice A (afraid of being killed by air bag) 1

Choice B (afraid of being killed by another driver) 2

Even at this early stage, I would think a 2 to 1 margin would warrant Toyota equipping at least some portion (how about 1/3?) of its RAV-4s all across the country with the side air bag option.
  • postal40postal40 Member Posts: 9
    jcliffro

your proposal makes sense , but i thought toyota made side air bags an option,especially for buyers who picked [A] or [C} . thats what nice about toyota , you have about at least 15 options to select from . So if you want save $650 and not have side air bag option , you have that choice . I just bought 04 RAV4 with side air bags ,guess that gives you a vote for [B ] .

To those who decline side air bags ,i have a question : they can always replace your vehicle , but can they replace you ?

Ride Safe and Smile
    Scottdude

when you mentioned that you noticed that every RAV4 was driven by a woman , i myself have noticed that also . but when i shopped for new SUV , the RAV4 was hottest looking [in my eyes] small size SUV out there . So when i bought my 04 RAV4 , it was white L . i forgot all about 'gender' and focused on what I WANTED . let me know when you get your RAV4 .

cheers
    I am glad you contributed to the demand for side air bag equipped Toyotas. Note that my gripe with Toyota has never been that side air bags are an option, it is that Toyota equips NONE of their RAV-4s, base Highlanders or SR-5 or Sport 4-Runners with those options in the entire Gulf States region, Southern California and, I'm sure, other sections of the country as well. What that means for people in these regions who cannot wait to order a vehicle is that they have NO CHOICE as to side air bags and I believe it is that policy which is shameful and reprehensible. If it is Toyota's distributor that orders the vehicles that way, I still believe Toyota itself should step in and right that terrible wrong. You are so lucky you live in an area of the country where you have a choice. Just for the record, may we all have that general area where you live?
    certainly , i reside in baltimore area, i test drove 3 '04 RAVs at 3 different Toyota dealerships . and every one of them had side/curtain air bags in them . So imagine my surprise to hear the good folks in Gulfs,West Coast,other locations, not having a CHOICE . i couldnt even imagine a Highlander or 4Runner without side/curtain air bag option. Yes , i agree whomever made that policy is 'shameful and reprehensible'.
    If my Toyota dealer told me i had to 'wait' for airbag option for my 04' RAV , i would had 04' CRV EX [side airbags standard] parked in my driveway now .
    your suggestion about Toyota Corp. stepping in and correct this wrongful practice is good one .
    yes you have a choice. refuse to take one of the lot and order one with what you want on it. it's that simple.
    It isn't that simple to order a vehicle for someone who suddenly finds they want a new car and cannot wait 3 to 5 months. Toyota needs to fix this wrong or more people will do as Postal40 says....buy Hondas or other makes. And when Toyota is offering rebates on RAV4s, Highlanders and 4Runners ON DEALER LOTS of up to $1500, do you think it is fair to have to pay over $2,000 plus tax (loss of rebate and cost of side air bags) just to get that life saving option? I might consider looking in the Baltimore area rather than give my business to dealers or distributors who are contributing to this injustice.
    No ,i do not think its fair that some of you have to pay over 2 grand and the rest of us dont ,for the right to own side/curtain airbags . those Toyotas are expensive investments,you buyers deserve better . I bought my RAV4 L from Carmax/Toyota dealer . while i was in showroom , i read that Carmax has locations in '20 cities'? Maybe you wont need to come all the way out to Baltimore to get your RAV . I also read that Toyota $750 rebate expires 8/31 ,any word on whether Toyota would extend it ?
    Now helpful information like you have provided is what makes chat postings like this so invaluable. Great idea on contacting Carmax directly and thank you so much for your response.

PS Maryland and WVA are the only 2 states to which I have not been, so picking up a new Toyota and seeing Annapolis, Baltimore, Cumberland and whatever there is to see in WVA and then winding my way back to New Orleans doesn't sound too bad to me. Kind of like those who take delivery of a new BMW in Germany, tool around and then ship it home.
    who told you it would take 3-5 months to take delivery of a vehicle you order? that's a bunch of crap! the salesman i talked to said it would take 6-8 weeks. not much longer than a domestic company. you have got to stop getting pushed around by these sales people.
    were you present? was I pushed around? you have to stop making statements about situations you know nothing about. perhaps the sales people you talked to were taking you for a ride. you do seem like the gullible type to me.
    Can we rave about the RAV and not about each other please?

thanks,

Steve, Host
    JCliffro,
    you are welcome,i am glad to help you and other Toyota owners in this chat format. I myself , certainly learned a few things in here . Based on my experience , you would be satified with Carmax with their 'no haggle' prices [ my homework shows their prices match Edmunds' TMV prices]. That would give you more time to visit all the Maryland cities you mentioned . West Virginia is only 2 hour commute from here . Your idea is not bad at all , better than paying the local Toyota dealer a king's ransom and make you wait as they want you to endure [honestly ,who really knows how the delivery would take? ]

Ride Safe and Happy
    I urge anyone thinking of purchasing a Toyota RAV-4 to read the brief Associated Press report dated July 2004 on the test of a RAV-4 with and without side air bags/air curtains. The results were subsequently reported on DATELINE NBC. Just copy and paste the following link to your web browser. Note also that the Insurance Institute's full testing results can be found by clicking on the Insurance Institute's link found at the very bottom of the article.
      http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040725/crash_tests_1.html
    jcliffro

the link you provided about RAV airbags tests was informative . i even printed a copy to save with my RAV 'files' . my father had advised me to save brochures, factory stickers,EPA gas milegages ,etc, everytime i purchased a vehicle . his point was : if you ever decide sell to private party, those documents might come in handy .
  • ravalraval Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 RAV4 AWD with Buffalo,NY worst winter driving conditions in mind (need to visit/transport my daughter and her stuff to University of Buffalo at anytime). Last winter there were enough snow storms, blizzard like snowfall,ice,sleet,black ice,and slush in Staten Island,NY(downstate)and northern New Jersey to drive RAV4 in HEAVY snow. With enough power,AWD,anti-lock brakes, Stability/Traction control,& safe driving habit I rated the RAV4 A1,'10',5star,EXCELLENT for winter conditions. ABSOLUTELY NO SKIDDING!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the RAV4 AWD FOR ANY DRIVER AGE WORRIED ABOUT DRIVING ON SNOWFLAKES. Just don't forget to bring the scraper, and extra dry clothes (from boots to hats),blankets,food and water....just in case the road is blocked by disabled cars or trucks.
  • egretegret Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone had good/bad experiences w/the AC in v. hot weather (we're in southern Arizona), especially in the back seat (wanting to know how cool it will be for infant in car seat)? We've been looking into the 2004 with automatic transmission, front-wheel drive, and side air bags.
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    My wife and I ran into the same problem as jcliffro and we certainly didn't feel pushed around.

We tried--and failed--to requisition (Toyota's term for "ordering") a 2004 Rav4 w/ side airbags among some other options. We live in OK and went through our local small city dealer, who in turn had to go through Gulf States Toyota. We waited 5 months (mid-March to mid-August), before it became painfully evident that Gulf States Toyota couldn't or wouldn't get a vehicle for us. The salesman felt that it was the side airbags that made the requisition fail ultimately.

We think that a lack of side airbag equipped vehicles being ordered/sent by/to Gulf States for their dealer network played some part as did are small local dealership's lack of clout. Other areas where folks can work directly through US Toyota probably have better luck with options and shorter turn around.

In the end we bought a 2002 RAV4 AWD (AWD also hard to get in Gulf States) with 21,000 miles from a Lexus dealership. It doesn't have side airbags, but does have every other option except moonroof and spoiler. Plus we saved almost $6500 over a comparably equipped 04. My only complaint is that I wish the 02s had the 160 hp 2.4 engine for a little extra zip.
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    A/C works very well. Here in NJ, we don't experience weather much over 90 normally, but the humidity is high at times. I would guess that it would work fine in your clinate.
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    I have also been searching for a RAV4 with the curtain airbags, and have been running into walls. There are definitely some around, but when you consider how many dealers are in the Washington DC metropolitan area and how many Ravs are on the lots, it is amazing to me that there aren't more with the airbags. This will be a third family car, driven primarily by a teen who has a 25 minute commute to school each day. My husband likes the Santa Fe, but I just can't make myself purchase something without those airbags. Unfortunately, that also pretty much limits us to a new car, unless we want to go to the expense of a volvo or something.
  • catherine9catherine9 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone know the rollover rating for the RAV4? I saw that an older version received 3 stars which seems pretty bad considering the Forester received 4 stars and still has a 16% chance of rolling over.

Also, can anyone recommend a good Toyota dealer in the New Orleans area? A few years ago I purchased a car from Lakeside and their service dept. treated me badly.
    To view rollover ratings for individual vehicles, visit the rating section at www.safercar.gov.

The '04 & '05 RAV-4 hasn't been rated; the '03 4x2 got 3 stars.

Steve, Host
  • chipchipowskichipchipowski Member Posts: 13
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20040907b

$100 or 0.5 percent on the base price.... I won't complain. Would anyone please post what their experience was in the past as far as what incentives were available at the very beginning of the model year? (I'm trying to make a decision if i should have a dealer locate an '04 with side air bags (potentially with options i don't want) OR order an '05 to specs AND still get a "hot deal/price".)

Does anyone think side airbags will become standard on '05's? Toyota customer service tells me that headquarters continually pushes back the date for release of information.
  • spchanspchan Member Posts: 8
    That same press release says:
    "The RAV4 remains unchanged for 2005 after appearance enhancements in 2004."

I guess that answers your questions about side airbags becoming standard.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Can anyone tell me what the issue is concerning the lack of a back bumper? It looks to me that it has as much of a bumper as other small SUV's like the CRV. Does anyone have the unfortunate experience of owning a RAV4 and being hit in the back? Please let me know because I'm considering buying a used '98/'99 RAV4. Thanks to all!
    I've been hit hard in the rear at least three times in my life (Nissan and VW cars). In all cases, because of the rear bumpers, I experienced no damage at all. Without a rear bumper I would expect costly repairs. I wish our two RAV4 had bumpers as we plan to keep each about ten years.
    wsommariva, do you have any idea what is the difference between the RAV4's rear compared to the CRV's and other suv's who wear the spare tire on the back? Wouldn't they all be costly to repair with this same set up? It looks as though the RAV4 has about the same set up as many other cars on the road as far as what looks like a bumper. What do you think?
    spchan wrote:
    That same press release says:
    "The RAV4 remains unchanged for 2005 after appearance enhancements in 2004."

I guess that answers your questions about side airbags becoming standard.

-

I don't think that speaks about saftey features, only styling and the look of the vehicle. Then again wouldn't they want to boast such a great option which would be standard? I guess time will tell.
    Another press release...

(http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?i- d=2005Rav4_r)

...dated today states:

"Front seat-mounted side airbags and first and second row side curtain airbags are available for RAV4, much like the level of passive safety features available in the brand's larger SUV models."

Obviously the words "...are available..." mean that side air bags will be an option. So, no standard side air bags on the RAV4 for '05.

There were several other press releases dated today for the RAV4 including feateures, specs and options. See this page:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display.html?kw=2004+RA- V4
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    I see they are still over stating the payload capacity on the RAV4. They had those numbers listed for the 04 models too. In side the drivers door are the specs and my 04 AWD auto says max load 760 lbs. It's made me feel a little ripped off.
    If the CRV has a 5 mph bumper, which I believe it does I would think it would do much better in some hits. Since I've experienced at least three hits in the rear I'm concerned about the no rear bumper. When shopping for small SUVs in 2002, the CRVs were in high demand and therefore the dealers were getting sticker, when they had them. My plan was to drive them both and buy the one we liked best. We bought the RAV4 and are happy with it and now have a 2004 also.
    I went to the local quarry to buy sand for my Fall lawn work. Without looking at the manual, I figured that a "5" seater's capacity would be around 1,000 pounds. So I shoveled in 1,000 pounds of sand. The car drove fine. I wouldn't recommend this for everyday driving, buy once a year I'm ok with it.
    Thanks for your input. I'm still confused about the supposedly no bumper on the RAV since it appears to have what looks like what other small suv's and cars have. Oh well...
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It has no visible, exterior bumper. Yes, it will cost more to repair than a car with a regular bumper, but that is why you have insurance. The most you pay is the deductible, if your fault. The cost to insure a Rav is CHEAPER than my car, so the high cost to the insurance company to repair a hit to the rear is not an issue. Even a tap to a car bumper is over $500. Don't worry about the bumper - it really is not an issue.