Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    what did they work on and what's the outcome?
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    They changed the ahhhl (for bob) and begged off till next week on the freakiness. The s.w. thought they had worked on a van w/stalling probs, so that's sorta comforting. That's cool since I won't be needing the van next week, they can have it all week. They 'promised' to have a fix by the end of next week.

/j* did I mention... 3d19h10m22s?
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    buying Mazdas? I don't understand it. There must be fifty new owners showing up on this forum in the last two months. So you gotta figure the van is a lot more popular this year than it was last year. So exactly how many new MPV's have I seen around town? Zilch, zip, nada. Not a one. To get my daily MPv fix, I still have to drive half a mile out of my way to work to see one that's parked [it never moves] in a driveway. I'm beginning to think that the good people in the 'Burgh are still buying their fathers' Oldsmobiles. Stick-in-the-muds. I'M SO LONELY!

:[

RJ
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Maybe there was another reason....
    I had a couple of "Die for Babes" last year wanting to sit in the van and see it up close. Now, all I get is just grandma's (my age) and soccer kids wanting to eat dripping popsicles inside.
    Maybe if I put George Clooney decals on the side....
    My wife wants to go to Johnstown someday - we'll swing by your house and blow the horn on the way by :))
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    I have yet to see a 02 MPV on the road. Tons of Odys and DCs in Ohio.

Pjd58
    It's the extra hp in them... they go warp factor 6. I've seen 5 so far. I really like the new grill, fwiw.

/j
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Hey Bill, can you hear me shouting across the Boarder from greater Youngstown. We will be making a trip to the burgh on June 9 in our 02 LX to see the pirates play the brewers. BTW, thought we would be the first one to have a MPV (00, 01, or 02) in the ~~~~~~~~ aera, but alas, one week before we got ours, someone just a few blocks away had a white MPV in their garage. Then the day before, I saw a shim sand on the way to my son's baseball game. BTW, will make a few trips to zoo this summer.

Regards,

OldStyle
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    RJ,
    If you can hold out to July 4th weekend, we'll be driving out your way (Butler, to be precise). We'll be taking the PA turnpike from one end to the other--boy that's an expensive road!

If we see your MPV, we'll be sure to honk and wave!

-Dave
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    All,

I just wanted to point out another review at www.nctd.com. (New car test drive). Great review, and they hit the nail on the head. I quote: "MPV offers a higher level of quality over the Kia Sedona. You need only yank on the door handles of the MPV and the Sedona to see an example of this. The MPV sports high-quality body-color door handles that are easy to grab and feel good and substantial in your hand; they are among the best door handles on any vehicle. That does not describe the Sedona's door handles, however."

Pretty accurate I would say. Anyway, happy motoring.

Bean
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I go away for a week and this topic explodes.

Fun and Sun in Kalamazoo, MI. Spent Thursday evening at Gingerman Raceway running my SVT Contour. Friday, I imbibed ;) (had to show those 20 somethings that a 37 year old could party until 3AM, then get up at 9AM the next day)

Saturday, free AutoX practice. (After 32oz of Gatorade and two Excedrin.)

Saturday night, met one of the lead project engineers on the Ford Contour. He tested the very first Porsche prototype engines that became the 2.5L Duratec found in 00 and 01 MPV's. (That's right, the Duratec was designed by Porsche and Cosworth)

Sunday, won my class in the AutoX.

Drove back home Monday.

What a blast.

TB
    Only two Excedrin? Man, you are my hero! I'd need at least six! Wtg on the Solo victory. I still say you should do some dollar runs w/that blue MPV of yours.

/j*2d21h17m52s
  • liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone seen the new Entertainment System? When will they start hitting the dealers? I know they are due out soon.
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Oldstyle-- I'll be circling [stunningly beautiful]PNC Park that day, blowing The Prez's horn. Look for me.

Evadave-- I'll be circling [stunningly beautiful] Butler that day, blowing The Prez's horn. Look for me.

Bob-- I'll be circling [stunningly beautiful] Johnstown someday . . . . Look for me.

When it comes to seeing other MPV's, I have no pride.

:)

RJ
    It's very similar to this one...

http://www.audioinmotion.com/item.html?PRID=1209720

A couple months away from dealers as far as I know.

• beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    I see that ody01 is trying to stir things up again with the Sedated group, but he actually did bring up an interesting tidbit re:increased MPV sales for last month, a trend I'm sure will continue!

Bob: those were babIES, right?
    lol!
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    Interesting. I hope to be driving a new MPV when I go to Butler, Pa over Labor Day.

Maybe all the MPV fans have moved away from Western Pennsylvania and only come back for visits.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I believe this is the unit. It's made by Mitsubishi Electric and the image on this site shows it on MPV, so it's most likely the one:

http://www.meaa-mea.com/products/e_rear.asp

• prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    If you install your own DVD system, how does it hook up with the current audio system, or does it?
    Alex - I am certain the Mazda system is made by Audiovox. 100% certain.

prlamz - Most of these systems, similar to CD changers, transmit radio frequency (at 87.9Mhz or something) to the vehicle's radio. That way, the rear passengers can use the RSES with head phones or on the vehicle's radio. As far as wiring goes, some of these systems have a wire that goes around the antenna connection, but it's simple to connect. That and 12V power should be all it takes to get it going.
  • budmelonbudmelon Member Posts: 27
    Hmmm, he's, uh, enlightened isn't he? Actually, I'm not so sure minivans are the hot dish anymore that they used to be. The author of that article must be an expert, owning not one, but two DC vans. That'd make me hate minivans too! ;-)

Thx for the link!

/j
  • budmelonbudmelon Member Posts: 27
    I know what you mean. I feel like emailing him and telling him about those DC van. No wonder he's negative about minivan.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I was under the impression that the DVD player in the MPV would be a dash mounted unit with the display screen as a flip down in the ceiling. The unit shown in post #3322 shows the disk loading as part of the ceiling unit itself. I would much rather see a dash mounted unit so the parents in the front seat can change the DVD's without having to crawl into the back to do it.
    I hear what you are saying but the cost would have gone way up.

The nice thing about this system is there are now 2 CD players in the car. The rear passengers can listen via wireless head phones to the roof mounted unit and the driver can use the standard radio/CD up front.
    like saying compact cars are aweful if you've only driven Yugos and old Fiats. :)

Fwiw, I think I like the idea of the new RSES w/it all built-in. Which way does the door to the player face?

/J
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    Hi to everyone out there in Mazda land. I was at a local Delaware Mazda dealership yesterday test driving an MPV. This is an LX with the roof rack,floor mats, and a rubber protector piece on top of the rear bumper. This MPV listed for about $ 23,200(I do not remember the exact price). The dealership is advertising this vehicle for $ 20,880. Is this price too good to be true?? This is much less than invoice. The sales man said Mazda is offering a $ 1000.00 dealer cash on this vehicle. Is this true? I like this vehicle very much but is concerned with the FORD motor being used in it. Can someone give me some input on the reliability of this vehicle. Thanks ahead for any input.
    I wouldn't worry about the engine. If you scroll up on this particular post you will find some discussion about the Ford engine - it's all good.
    I've own Fords - believe me, this isn't your typical Ford product under the hood!
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I just noticed that Edmunds has the payload for the '02 MPV listed at 367 lbs?! Surely this is a misprint! That is not even enough payload capacity for two average men! They must have left a 1 off the front. I'm sure the payload has to be more like 1367 lbs. I haven't been able to find any information anywhere else on the web to determine what the actual payload is. If someone knows, please post the information (and let Edmunds know that they have the information incorrect).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've sent a note for delivery to the data people. Looks a thousand pounds off to me too.

(that MS site says it's 1420 lbs, btw).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Try this link

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Specifications/Mazda/MPV/2002.asp

It lists the payload at 1420lbs. Not saying this is gospel. It would appear that Edmund's was trying to say 1367lbs.

For the folks who are replacing tires, keep in mind that the recommended load rating for the MPV is 94, which is 1477lbs. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this when I bought X-Ones for my van a few months ago. They were the correct recommended size (205/65R-15 in my case) but the load rating on that tire is 92, which is 1389lbs., less than what it should be. What you don't know *could* hurt you :( FWIW

Looks like Steve beat me to the punch! Darn 56K connection!

SC

• oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    I was the same way. Saw a pic of The MPV in CR in Feb. and said that's a good looking mv. Then found out it had a ford under da hood and said no way (the only cars we have ever owned have been honda, nissan, and toyota). Then we test drove all three import minis and liked the MPV the best. Did a lot of research on the duratec engine using google.com and seeing what peope here at edmonds and other sites have said about the ford tarus (used same engine) and was convinced this was a non-issue. The conclusion of my research is a 02 MPV LX in the garage as I type these letters.

BTW, that's a great price, better than S-Plan I believe :(

Regards,

OldStyle
    That makes a lot of sense. Thank you once more.
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    Thanks guys for the input, now I have to convince the wife on this vehicle. We have owned mostly Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. My wife wants an overpriced Honda Odyssey or the up coming Honda Pilot(also overpriced if you consider paying MSRP plus dealer add ons and getting on a waiting list for several months). This will be a tough sell to get her to agree to. The price on this vehicle seems great, and the ride is more car like than all the minivans I have tried.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    The June issue of Car and Driver has a very positive "Short Take" review of the 2002 ES. This should help convince those still perched on the fence.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    CR puts the payload at 1195. That would be more in line with other vans, for the record...
  • ryedogryedog Member Posts: 2
    Vu2000,

My wife and I were in the exact same situation six weeks ago. Dealer advertised 2002 LX for $20,988 ("one at this price" deal). Called the salesman we test drove with 3 days before (at the time he said, "I'll lay it out for you up front, $500 over invoice"). I asked him about the "loss leader" advertisement and he checked it out. He said it included Roof Rack, Floor Mats, and Rear Bumper Step Plate just like the one you're looking at. The 0% financing was about to expire (Mazda extended it the next day) and it was $399 below invoice, so we went for it. Dealer made good on the advertised price and didn't try to sell any overpriced add-ons. Almost 3000 miles later, I'm still in love with this machine! No problems and nearly 25 mpg every tankful so far (75% highway, hardly any speed racing.)

$20,880 is a great price ($507 below invoice), but you might be able to do a little better. It's true about the $1000.00 dealer cash, but it's their incentive, it's not automatically rebated to you. And apparently the $1000 applies only if you're not taking the 0%/24 months financing. FWIW, most people around the country have been getting the best deals between $250 over and $250 under invoice. My advice is if you don't want/need the 0%, then you should negotiate as close to $1000 under invoice as you can. I think a fair compromise would be $20,637 at $750 below invoice. Assuming that this is the van you want, of course. We chose to take the deal we got because it had everything we "needed" at the best price we could get without a hassle, and we didn't have to worry about choosing how much more to spend on the optional things we "wanted". For us, power windows/doors and keyless entry are luxury items anyways.

This is a great time to buy, but I don't think you need to act now to get the best deal. Eventually, consumers will realize what a great deal the MPV is, but there's still a little more time before demand catches up with supply.

Good Luck and Enjoy,
    Ryedog
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    The MPV is a very nice van,we have an 01 LX with 15k,no problems. The pricing on the van is also very good now. The larger engine should also help come resale time and was needed if for no other reason, because all the competition had bigger engines. However, when deciding between the mpv and the Honda keep in mind the Resale value, because it will come up eventually. This should be factored into your financial equation. Even loyal MPV owners would agree that the Ody or almost any other Honda will definitely hold more of its value. This is reality,check with any auto source to confirm this such as used values on Edmunds. But you pay a 'price' for that value, long waits, arrogant dealers, little or no stock to choose,and little if any discount off msrp. Purely from a financial standpoint the Honda is a better value,but consider everything when making your decision, ride,handling,appearance and yes even dependability. Good luck.
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    One question.. What would you rather drive, a Yugo with great resale value or BMW with poor resale value?

MB
  • ghomazghomaz Member Posts: 68
    Mazda_guy,

Rutger3 raised a good point with which you may or may not agree, but your comment does not make sense! You will agree that the Odyssey is rated higher than the MPV (and thus also has a better resale value) in every minivan comparo. However, the MPV is NOT a disaster like the Yugo and the Yugo just cannot be compared to a BMW...period!!

So your question should have been " Do you buy a BMW with a great resale value or a Mercedes with a poorer resale value (as compared to the BMW)?"
    Rutger3 has been making his resale value argument for quite some time on this board. Generally, I agree with him, though he's a little more focused on it than most - quote: "Even loyal MPV owners would agree that the Ody or almost any other Honda will definitely hold more of its value." Well, I don't consider myself loyal to any vehicle based upon a singular viewpoint such as resale value. There are MANY different ingredients in the car-buying equation like resale, comfort, options, versatility, and on and on and on....

I get the feeling that Rutger's next minivan will be an Ody, but that's OK because that's what's important to him. I don't hold it against him and neither should you mazda_guy. You will drive what you like, for whatever reason.

SC
  • mslmnmslmn Member Posts: 13
    Hi! I am very serious about getting a used either 2000/01 or brand new 2002 MPV. I have done so much research (that's a first for me, as a woman I usually buy cars because they look nice... on the outside:), that I don't know what to do anymore. Two year old used with low mileage (between 18K and 25K) or new? The used ones I saw in the internet go for about $5,000 less then the new ones and money, besides performance and looks of course, is something that I have to consider! Help!
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    No offence to the older MPV owners, but I would rather have a 2002 MPV LX with nothing on it than a 2001 ES. If money is a problem, you can definitely get a base 2002 LX for about $20,000. You have a brand new van with 200 hp, 5-speed transmission, and even alloy wheels. You have tinted windows, power windows/door locks, cd player, etc. Of course, I always buy new, because I plan to keep my car for at least 5 years. I would rather be the one putting that first 25 or 30 thousand miles on the car thank you! In my humble opinion, the 2002 also looks better, and except for wheel size and labels, from the outside of the van the LX and ES look identical. (You could always upgrade your wheel size later with aftermarket.) My advice would be to buy new, and go easy on the options to fit your budget. Another thing to look at is you also get your full 50K warranty. Anyway, my advice with a buck will buy you a cup of coffee. At the very least, I would drive both a used and a new model and see which one you like the best!
    LOL! I know what you mean ... sometimes too much info can drive a person insane! Wow, you ask a tough question. I guess it depends upon your personal financial situation, and only you can really answer that question. I bought my '01 LX last Sept. for $18K. It was used and had 13K miles. It was certified by the local Mazda dealer and came with a full warranty, as if I had bought new. For me, it was the perfect move. Not only did I get into an almost new van for under $20K, but it also met my target monthly payment, which was somewhere under $350/month. I have been very pleased with the MPV! As you can tell, the monthly payment amount was my most important deciding factor, not resale value, not a new and improved V6, not leather seats, or a myriad of other factors. Perhaps this is your situtation too. IMO, I don't think you can go too awfully wrong by letting someone else take the depreciation hit. FWIW

SC
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    You got me wrong. I tried to make it as simple as possible. The point I was trying to make is that the resale value does not matter to many of us especially when it comes to buying goods for enjoyment not as an investment. I don't care what resale value Pontiac Aztec has, because for me this is the ugliest car and I rather buy and drive Yugo than Aztec. Besides, to be honest Mazda MPV 2002 is a totally new car and you can only speculate what it's resale value is going to be.

MB
  • ghomazghomaz Member Posts: 68
    I totally agree with you, all the more since I keep my cars a long time. All I really want is a competitively priced reliable car that will give me good service.
    In fact I just replaced my '88 Accord with a '01 Accord last year and I am now in the market to buy a minivan. I have decided to go in for the MPV ES as even though it may not be top-rated, its reliability rating is high and it has most of the Odyssey's nifty features and is good value for the money. The fact is that even though I am a "Honda Guy," I draw the line on paying a premium over MSRP for the Odyssey!
    Here, here! From one Honda guy, to another, I completely agree! Can we all "just say NO" to the Ody? I would've bought one if the price had been right, even would've stretched my pocketbook beyond what I really wanted for a monthly payment. I like the van just fine, but Honda has really missed the mark on value vs. price ....
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Let's give it a rest! I've heard your resale story for almost a year.....it's getting old. Resale is a very small concern if your keeping your MPV for many years. I'd rather save 4 grand now and invest it. Rutgers, your point about taking everything into account is correct. I just put little value in resale.

Enjoying your RELIABLE MPV is more important than worrying about the resale many years from now.

JMO,
    Pjd58
    Because we're planning a trip across the country with the little ones (4, 3 1/2 & 3/12), we are giving serious thoughts to a DVD player. How would I attach the screen to the ceiling? How do I connect to the radio antenna? We're thinking of a portable DVD, hopefully for less than $500.
  • mslmnmslmn Member Posts: 13
    Thank you so much for your input! The 2002 MPV is looking better and better because of the 3.0L motor v. the previous 2.5L. So, I have decided that I will do a quick (but not that quick!) search for a used 2002 MPV and see what I can come up with. Most of all if it is worth v. a brand new LX (the standart one!).
    (: Thanks again, and probably within the next month or so I will let you know what happen and how happy, or not, I am!:)