Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• whitetwhitet Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased the ES within the last couple of weeks....What kind of pricing did you get?
  • pawniepawnie Member Posts: 11
    I purchased an ES this past June 2000 in Marlow Heights, MD. I paid $25, 832. It came equipped with 4 seasons package, moonroof, LEV emissions, 6 Disc changer, roof rack, fog lamps, and factory installed entertainment system. I hope this helps you out.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I think you got the best price ever on a fully loaded ES!
  • mpvermpver Member Posts: 2
    I live in DC and am in the market for a loded MPV ES like yours. What dealer did you go to?
  • humuhumu1humuhumu1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there is a bike rack accessory for the MPV? If it's to be mounted on the roof, I presume the roof rack will be necessary, right?
  • steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    This morning at 6:30am, the alarm went off in the MPV, for no apparent reason. We live out in the country, no person or creature was apparently near the van. Anybody else have this happen? I've never had a vehicle with an alarm before.
  • tim104tim104 Member Posts: 3
    My review of the MPV was an attempt to be as objective as possible. I also seriously considered the Subaru Legacy wagon but decided it was too small for the types of trips we (and you) take from time to time.

I seriously researched buying a new car for 6 months and the fact that I purchased an MPV indicates how impressed I am with the van. However, it was very helpful reading the postings on this forum because the engine shortcoming was discussed in a fairly objective manner. I imagine offering an optional larger engine would probably raise the price by $1000 or so, still very competitive with Honda and Toyota, particularly if one decides not to purchase other options in order to keep the price down.

You are correct the current engine is acceptable, but a 3L would be more appropriate for a vehicle of this size for those who drive lots of miles over hilly terrain.

It costs about $50 to service the transmission. I would recommend having that done more often than scheduled.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    That's interesting you had that happen with your alarm. The neighborhood kids were playing basketball the other day, and the ball hit the rear window of our van, and it set the horn a-honking. I didn't think the van had an alarm, let alone a shock-sensing one. I guess it must arm when you lock the doors, either with or without the keyless entry fob. I thought it was a passive starter immobilizer only. Anyone else know more about the factory system?

--java
  • pawniepawnie Member Posts: 11
    MPVer, I purchased my MPV at Koons Mazda in Marlow Heights, MD. My salesman name was Rodney Hubbard. During my first visit I was greeted by a salesman that wanted to put me in a DX with the power package for about $23,000. Needless to say I looked at him crazy and departed. I returned a few days later to show the wife how the van looked and to test drive one since the was the closest dealership. If she liked it, I definitely was planning to purchase with another dealership. We were approached by Mr. Hubbard and it was obvious he wanted a sell. I told him about my previous experience and he admitted that some salesmen there were strictly after money, money, money. Once he knew I had done my homework, the deal was done quickly. Believe it or not my initial deal was $800.00 better than the one I ended up with. Mr. Hubbard tried to inflate my trade-in but the manager wouldn't go for it (darn) Anyway, it was still a very good deal in my opinion. Good luck!
  • vanmeistervanmeister Member Posts: 5
    I have an LX with the Touring Package, which includes the factory alarm. The dealer advised me that it goes off if someone tries to "force entry". Here's a test/"feature"-

1. Open your windows, then lock the doors using the key fob (or the "all doors lock" button).
    2. Then reach in through the window and unlock any door by pulling up on the manual lock stem. The alarm will go off!

3.To shut it off you must have the key fob, or put the key in the ignition.

I don't know if it goes off because of a vibration sensor or a contact sensor. If its a vibration sensor it would also detect other types of "forced entry" .

PS- If you run into the Wawa leaving your spouse in the car, you be better off remembering NOT to lock the doors with the key fob, just in case they decide to get out!

Vanmeister
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    I recently purchased an LX with Touring, Rear Air, 4-Seasons, Fogs, Roof Rack and 3-in-1, for $1,000 below invoice plus the special Mazda financing during the first week in August. A co-worker of mine is purchasing a similarly equipped van (Security Pkg in lieu of Touring) witout the special financing for nearly $1,750 below invoice. It appears that the dealers or Mazda are offering additional incentives as the 2001 models come closer to shipping.

You should be able to do better than $1,000 off the invoice, but under no circumstance should you accept less. From my and my co-worker's experiences, be prepared to walk away if the dealer appears unwilling to deal initially. You will get a return call within a day or two with a much better deal.

BTW, we are just a couple of states over from you in Michigan. Hope this helps.

Regards,

JB
  • kgvankgvan Member Posts: 6
    Anybody know or have a guess what Mazda might do after their Sept. 5th date?? Do they extend those incentives and/or rebates? If not do I miss my chance for the $1000 incentive? Or might the deal get better the longer you wait? Or will it be more difficult to find the one you want without all the extras (LX w/4 seasons & security,maybe dual AC). If I can't buy by Sept 5th, then I'd have to wait probably till the end of the month. I don't really want to rush this decision & negociation this weekend. I think I've found the one that's acceptable (featurewise). But want to try to test drive overnight as some of you have mentioned. I want to be able to check for all the problems posted on the MPV Problems town meeting.( What are all those problems again??) That's alot to do on an already busy Labor day weekend. But then that puts me off for a month.
    Sorry for the rambling here..but as you can see I'm in a quandry here.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Based on recent experience, it appears that the incentives are getting better. IMO, I think that the incentives would continue so that the existing inventory could be further reduced prior to the 2001 models arriving. Also, as inventory is reduced, I would think that it would become increasingly difficult to find the van equipped as you would prefer.

Regarding the problems noted to date, here's what to look for:

1. Pulling to left
    2. Vibration in front end at highway speeds
    3. Frayed seat belt in 3rd row seat
    4. Lean to one side
    5. PCM reprogramming
    6. Low city gas mileage
    7. Front bumper recall

Those are all that I can remember thus far. If anyone can add to the list please do so. Most of the problems seem to have been fixed on later manufacture dates.

I have only experienced a very slight vibration in front end at speeds between 70-80 mph which appears to only be present on a bituminous coated (as opposed to concrete) expressway. I'm going to see if the vibration persists during a road trip this weekend. If it does, I'll have the alignment checked as other posters have indicated.

Regards,

JB
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Which side is the lean being reported on? I just noticed a slight lean to the left when you look at our van in the garage. I'm going to put a level on the garage floor to make sure it's not just my old eyes playing tricks on me.

--java
  • david153david153 Member Posts: 5
    I noticed that driving at high speeds (65-70) wind noise that I don't experience on my Nissan Maxima. I have never owned a van before so I don't know if this is a van related situation. However, other than that, love the ES so far...600 miles.
    With regard to pricing I paid $23,750 in New Jersey. Included was lev,4 seasons,roof rack,mud guards, 3 in 1 audio and pin striping.
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    Mazda has not addressed the reasons they have the inventory problem and will find themselves in the same position with their 2001 model.

I think invoice pricing is here to stay for those who are prepared, and big incentives will return to the same extent as 2001 unfolds.

On point, fairly or not, the cause of the existing incentives are the underpowered 2.5 L engine and size of the van (bigger is better?) The vans that are in short supply (HonToy) seem not to be viewed this way.

imho.
  • meerameera Member Posts: 50
    The lean is to the left. Mine leans 1/2 inch. Someone posted that their service guy said Mazda was going to fix this with some kind of kit. I think a majority of the vans lean, it's just whether the owner notices or is bothered by it. When I brought mine to the dealer after I noticed, they measured all the MPV's on the lot and they all leaned.
  • kgvankgvan Member Posts: 6
    Regarding your list in post #339; what's PCM reprogramming?

Also isn't there something wrong w/certain tires?

Thanks.
  • vicjorvicjor Member Posts: 11
    Today my wife drove through a paving project and she must have ran over something with that the rear passenger tire had a 3" sliced on the side of the tire.

Had to do a quick replacement because the stock tires from yok..... are a special brand and take two week for deliverly. Changing the tire was very simple and after about 5 min looking for the donut I final found it under the van. On the passenger side rear door there is a little cut out under the floor mat and there is a special tool in the bag where the floor jack is to lower the tire. I kind of like this idea, much better than where the honda had there tire just in case the van was full.

Also I ordered the new tire and I will look for a replacement rim and see if I can keep the full size spare under the car instead of the donut.
  • billygee1billygee1 Member Posts: 5
    My brother in law has a durango with the factory option. When he locks the doors with the keyless, his horn beeps. My ES doesn't so I was a little concerned that it was a "lock only" and not an alarm. However, if you hit the "panic" button, obviously you'll see that there is an alarm. Also, if you hit the "lock" button twice, you'll see, like I did just 2 days ago (I purchased on 8/22) that the horn beeps when it's triggered. Hope this helps...
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    In a past MPV topic, Tailgate Tails, I believe, the leaning of some (or all) of these vans was discussed at length. I seem to remember one of us owners came up with the possible explanation for this. This owner had decided the van leaned a bit because of mechanical equipment on that side which was heavier than the other side. Simple, and it very well could explain the situation.

tboner: Any thoughts on this?
  • billygee1billygee1 Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my ES last week and I live it. I drive around the block to the dairy for a gallon of milk, when I used to walk. Of course I also open the moonfoof and lower the rear windows and wait for a good song to play. My neighbor says I'm enjoying my multi purpose vehicle just a little too much...
    Anyway, to share my pricing information with you all, I got the 4 seasons, fogs, roof rack, 6 cd changer, and power moon. I got the $1,000 rebate and an additional $700 for the dealer meeting his quota's. He had a nice inventory & i didn't know about the $700. MSRP was $28,500, invoice was $25,800 and my cost was $24,100. I have the sand mica w/beige leather...it's a beautiful machine, as many of you already know!
    BG
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I've used too many brain cells actually doing my job today.

Geeze, what a waste of good goofing off time work is!

TB
    PCM is the program control module which controls the operation of the engine. I believe posts from Tailgate Tales indicated a recall to reprogram the module. I believe this only affected earlier mfr. date models. I think the only item outstanding that may affect my van (mfr date 4-1-00) is the bumper recall.

Regards,

JB
  • meimameima Member Posts: 5
    HI! Thanks everyone for all this great info! We need a van ASAP as I am due with my third child in a few weeks! We now have 2 old Toyotas and have loved them, and have been looking into getting a Sienna. However money is so tight for us and the 2000's are gone--2001's are almost $24,000. We were hoping to stick more around $20,000---
    I have liked what I have heard on this site about the MPV's..except for the problems :)...so I think this is the way we will go..have also considered Plymouth or Dodge but from what I can see here most people feel that the MPV will prove to be more reliable in the long run. (Is this the first year for the MPV??)
    We live in northern NJ--anyone have any dealer they reccomend? I am thrilled to see people are getting invoice minus $1,000 minus another $750 or so customer rebate and am hoping to do as well.
    Thanks for any help---by the way we would love an LX but for affordability may have to settle for a DX ..with 4-seasons--I did learn alot here :)...thanks!!!!
  • topspinstevetopspinsteve Member Posts: 6
    I'm in a bind here. I'm not sure if I'd be better off making a deal today since it's the last day of the month, or waiting until the 6th and hoping for incentives. It's like rolling the dice at this point. I'll probably just hold off and wait for the 6th.
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    We bought our MPV from East Coast Toyota/Mazda on Route 17 in Wood-Ridge. Our salesperson was Rich Sobka - very nice guy. Its a very busy dealership.
    We went on a Monday night and the place was crawling with people. They have a large inventory of MPV's (at least 30 when we went). We found what we wanted, negotiated a good price (about $1000 below invoice, using the dealer incentive)and took it home the same night, all prepped and with a full tank of gas.
    Good Luck!
  • meimameima Member Posts: 5
    Thanks auerbach for your help!! I didn't realize the DX is not available with the 4-seasons package..is it enought to get the Dx with the Power Pack option (since money is an issue)...or do we really need to go for the LX to get the 4-seasons??? Thanks everyone!
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    We had considered a DX with the Power package, but moved up to the LX because of the ABS and a few other standard items. If you can find an LX with few options, the price difference between a DX with the power package and a near "base" LX is not that much.
    Our LX doesn't have the 4 seasons package. The only options we have are rear air, floor mats, rear cargo net and 3-1 stereo.
    I don't think too many were made like this. When we were looking, another couple had their eye on the one we were test driving. We just got to the dealership a few minutes earlier and lucked out I guess.
    Obviously it all boils down to what you want and can afford.
    Good luck.
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    A few months back, a local dealership had a couple of LXs with the only options being fog lamps and floor mats. I've never seen any before, nor have I seen any since. I think they *are* very rare. Personally, since I like manual windows, I would like to have a DX with just the dark tint windows and cruise control, but they don't build them that way.

The price of a 2000 LX with no options and current rebates/incentives could be around $18.8k, versus the $17k I've seen strippo DXs advertised for. If you can find an LX with little or no options, it's the way to go.
    I don't know if this is helpful but...while I was shopping for my ES I went to Flemington Mazda. They had a lot of MPVs, roughly 3 weeks ago. They would have sold an ES for $1000 below invoice, using the the dealer incentive. See my entry above...somewhere. I didn't buy there only because it was over a hour from my house and I got a comparable arrangement closer.
    They seem to have a good inventory to choose from.

It would seem to me you would be better off waitng until after the 5th. The incentives may even be better since the '01s will be out soon.

Good Luck..it is a nice vehicle, so far. No problems.
  • topspinstevetopspinsteve Member Posts: 6
    I understand that the new incentives will be announced tomorrow (hopefully). If I call Mazda Customer Service, they will tell me what they are. The question that I have is how do you find out if there is a factory to dealer incentive if Customer Service won't tell you. I asked and they said that they wouldn't tell me and that it's up to the dealer to tell.

Steve
  • tamazanetztamazanetz Member Posts: 1
    Help! We are in the market to buy a convertable car seat. Do any of you have suggestions on which convertable car seats fit best in the second row.
  • wdbasswdbass Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed many people recommend the 4 seasons package. We just had a salesman tell us that it is mainly sold up North where it is colder than here in Alabama/Georgia. Is this true? Would the rear a/c be sufficient for cooling without 4 seasons?
    The 4 seasons package is not meant for cooling. It is for HEATING PRIMARILY AS I UNDERSTAND IT.
    The Mazda brochure describes exactly what it includes and the features refer to under the hood items, such as heavy duty battery.
  • canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    We didn't get the 4-seasons pkg. and regret it!
    Here's why: The pkg. includes larger radiator, rear heat, larger windshield washer capacity, heavy duty rear defrost, and auxillary transmission cooler. If you have rear a/c, you can't adjust the temperature (only the fan speed) without the rear heat. Our rear a/c is freezing cold and we regret not being able to adjust it's temperature. The 4/s pkg. is the only way to fix that problem. Also, consider this: The engine is probably underpowered and the tranny works pretty hard sometimes. The auxillary cooler that comes with the 4/s pkg. should help the tranny last longer. For only $344.00 extra (invoice pricing), I believe it's worth every penny -IMHO! Cheers.
  • topspinsteventopspinsteven Member Posts: 10
    I can't believe it. Just talked to Mazda Customer Service. The said that the current incentives are now good through October 31. She said that she thinks the 2001's will be out early November. I thought it was late September. Almost every manufacturer has killer incentives right now to sell their vans. I just don't get it. The MPV's just sit on the lot and don't move. With no incentives, why would I buy a 2000 model now? It's silly. I test drove a Grand Voyager SE on Saturday and they were willing to offer it to me for $22,000. It had over a $28,000 sticker price. I'm gonna heavily consider it.

Steve
  • firstminifirstmini Member Posts: 3
    After following the MPV discussions for a long time and hoping for for the 3.0 engine in the 2001 model, we conceded defeat and bought an ES a few days ago. It's our first minivan, and the comments in the MPV topics have been very helpful and reassuring.
    Our van is a green ES with the following options: 4 seasons; roof rack, fog lights, 3 in 1 stereo, rear bumper protector and luggage tray (whatever you call the liner in the luggage area - we have a dog who sheds). Price was $23,900 including delivery fee, not including tax and registration. I think I could have gotten it for a little less but I was under spousal pressure to close the deal pronto! Delivery is in the next few days. Dealer was Mazda Gallery in Norwood, Mass.
    We have 2 young kids who are very excited. Our current car is a 1992 basic Taurus wagon and this is a big step luxury-wise. My only real gripe is that the driver's seat has no power adjustment, which seems lame for the high end model. My wife is about 5' and I am 5'8" on a good day so there will be a lot of readjusting whenever we switch. My wife is also disappointed that the passenger doors are not power operated, but they feel pretty light to me, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to joining the Cruisers' Club. Thanks again to all the detailed posters in these forums.
    Just for the sake of it, I called Mazda Customer Service back and asked about the incentives again. This time they told me that there was a $1,000 customer rebate. I hope they are right this time. Still not sure if they are continuing with the $1,000 dealer incentive.

Steve
    Congrats on your new purchase. An ES with the options you indicated for $23,900? Sounds like you got a good deal for a little more than $1,000 below invoice. For the sake of other posters in the process of buying, were the dealers in your area willing to give both the $1,000 dealer incentive and Mazda financing?

Thanks for any additional info you can share and welcome to the club.

Regards,
    JB
    I would think that they would continue the dealer incentive along with the new customer rebate. They've got to move the excess inventory somehow. If I had waited just one more month, I could've gotten an additional $1,000 off...but I can't complain, I was able to get a great deal on a good van.

I wish the the best in your decision making whatever the choice.

Regards,
    JB
    My deal on the ES was without financing. The salesman asked me if it was a cash transaction several times before he gave his final offer. I assume it would not have been as attractive if I wanted financing. All this is now probably moot with the new incentives.
    Well, I just got back from the dealer, and they insisted that there was no $1,000 rebate, just the $1,000 factory to dealer. I'm gonna call Mazda again and see what the story is. They offered me an LX that with the $1,000 came out to about $600 under invoice.

Steve
  • pounce8pounce8 Member Posts: 3
    I think that people are using the $1,000 "dealer incentive" and $1,000 "customer rebate" to mean the same thing.

Last I heard from dealer this morning was that the incentive/rebate had not changed on the MPV.
  • steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    I also bought from Mazda Gallery. They said I could pick up the van at 11am. When I arrived, it was not ready. They hadn't touched it. Made me wait 'till 6pm!
    My two cents...CALL FIRST! :)
    Enjoy.
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Hi - we have the Fisher Price Safe Embrace and it works great in our van. I use a part of a pool noodle and shelf liner (because of leather seats to keep from sliding at all). The noodle helps to keep it at the correct angle when rear-facing. I took it to a child safety seat check to be installed and they had no problems. However, when rear-facing I have to have the front passenger seat pushed forward and staight up to have enough room for the child seat. (That is pretty common with the convertibles when rear-facing as they take up a lot of room). However, she is safest rear-facing so will be this way for a while longer (she turns 1 on Friday!)

Also, I wanted to address some posts that I just read from a couple weeks back about the tether anchor points. PLEASE be sure that you are using the correct tether anchor spots (they are not automatically installed in the U.S.) although they have the pre-cut areas. If you use a hook that is not meant for a tether anchor (such as a cargo hook) it is probably not strong enough and could allow the tether to fly around the van during a crash and injure someone! One of the tether bolt anchor points is right next to a cargo hook (that gray plastic thing). DON'T USE THAT! The force of a collison is immense and a tether strap could break off of the hook.

My dealer installed my tether bolts for free (the parts were $7.40) and it was well worth it. Yes, I got a universal kit with my Safe Embrace but this thing looks great in the van (they match them to the interior and have a cover for when not in use).
    Just came back from the dealer a little while ago. Here's the deal I got on an Emerald Mica LX with Security Pkg, Rear Air, 4 seasons, roof rack, NLEV (PA), fog lights and 3 in 1 audio. Sticker price of $25,575. I'd be getting the van with the $1,000 cash back for $22,565. They said that invoice price was 23,565, I calculated it to be 23,261, but not a big difference. They also gave me more than a couple other dealer offered me for my trade, and about $400 more than I expected. I was hoping for better incentives to be released today, but under the circumstances, I think I got a pretty good deal. Any oppinions?

Steve
  • shineboshinebo Member Posts: 1
    Your deal seems reasonable to me (at least I'm hoping so because mine was very similar).

I used the www.mazdausa.com website e-mailing my quote to several dealers. E-mail negotiations is so much easier and efficient than dealing with in-person strong-arm tactics. Highly recommended. Although only 3 dealers were hooked-up to receive e-mail and only 1 actually responded in a timely manner (1 said they'd call and didn't and the other never contacted us).

The deal I received was $23,759 plus DMV & Dealer Admin Fees of $78 on a Highlight Silver LX with Touring Pkg, 4 Seasons, Power Moonroof, 6 CD Changer, Rear Air, and Roof Rack.

The Fleet Dealer originally quoted me invoice plus $250 dealer markup less any applicable rebates. So $24,909 (which included destination charge) minus $1,000 dealer incentive netting out to a total of $23,909. Since the vehicle just arrived on the lot and hadn't been unwrapped and inspected yet, I counter-offered at 23,750 since the 2% of base msrp ($445) would be pure profit since they wouldn't have to pay for inventory/showing costs. They came back saying $23,759 would be $100 over invoice.

I too was hoping for better incentives today, but hadn't been able to definitely confirm anything. Can anyone confirm the rebate and/or incentive situation with the MPVs?

shinebo
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Mazda will NOT offer BOTH $1000 rebate and special financing. You must pick one or the other. Since these offers both come directly from Mazda, there are no variations. If a dealer is offering both special financing (thru Mazda Credit Corp) and a rebate, the rebate is coming from the dealer (not Mazda).

The $1000 customer incentive may be a special offering in some specific areas/regions but is NOT a nationwide offer (like Mazda financing or the manufacturer's $1000 rebate). Perhaps some areas have rephrased the orig $1000 rebate.
    Hey there steeplejack! We must have passed each other in the showroom. Mazda Gallery appears to have a communications problem. Our whole family (self, wife and two kids) went there yesterday after calling earlier in the day and getting the O.K to pick up our MPV. Guess what? No car. They forgot to get the plates and didn't tell us till we got there late in the evening. The salesman was appropriately apologetic and said he'd make it up to us with some free oil changes. At least we got to see it and get a run-through of the features. While showing us all the gizmos he discovered that the slide to side bar was missing from the second row seat! He's delivering the car to us personally today.
    On another subject, their service department has a free scheduled oil change at 1,000 miles. I recall reading elsewhere that it wasn't necessary, but since it's free, what the heck.
    I was feeling a little stupid about buying the car just a few days before the extra incentives were reported in the recent postings, but it seems that they don't apply here. Glad to see that many other readers are taking the plunge now that dealers are eager to sell. I swear I've seen more MPV's on the road since we bought ours and I haven't even got it yet.