Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• nmchopnmchop Member Posts: 27
    Darn, i was gaining strength from the fact you traded in a 2000 Honda lol. Oh well, I still want to do it. I think this makes you smarter then me now!

Carsdirect.com seemed pretty solid. About $1000 off of MSRP and it said i could lease one for $300-$330 a month...but traditionally buy one for close to $400 a month. My stratus payment is $280/month with a warranty to 100,000 miles (don't think I'll be using that baby).

I prefer to buy, but i'm about the payment too...If it's tomato or to-motto. I leased once, kept the payments down but never had any equity in the vehicle at all. So I'll lean heavily towards buying it.

I'm starting to think more frugal though and wait 6-7 months and pick up one used maybe?

Happy motoring
  • corsicacorsica Member Posts: 8
    Hello
    if you bought a Rav4 recently in
    FLorida, can you let me know :

1. what price you paid?
    2. how much over invoice you paid?
    3. was it cheaper than buying online?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I noticed that the 2001 RAV4 is a LOT roomier inside than the previous generation. I am 6'3, and couldn't even get into the 2000 model without my knees hitting the dashboard, even with the driver's seat all the way back. Any truth in this with anyone else? Thanks.

Also, have prices come down on the RAVs? I live in Md. and wonder if anyone has bought a RAV4 4WD here. If so, what price did you pay and what equipment did you get?

Two more things: Power and economy. How is the power with automatic and AC on? And how is the economy? Thanks for any help that can be provided.
  • dsds88dsds88 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone driven their 2001 Automatic RAV4 from LA to Las Vegas (or any other highway with long uphill grades)? Was there enough acceleration? Were you able to pass on the incline?

Thanks
  • dsds88dsds88 Member Posts: 5
    I'm 6'2" and just test drove the 2001 RAV 4 - it has plenty of headroom even with a sunroof!

I love it because several other vehicles I've tested do not adequate headroom (the Maxima, the Pathfinder, the Acura CL, the Accord, among oters).

The seats in the RAV are comfortable except they could use a little more thigh support.
  • nyppicks1nyppicks1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Rav4 L package with the rear wheel Hard cover. The other day while I was driving on the highway I hit a couple of small bumps in the road and the hard cover broke off from the silver metal latch and shattered onto the highway, luckily it didn't cause an accident, or damage any other car behind me, that I know of yet. I had a lock for it, and I had not touched it since the dealer showed me how to remove it and replace it. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone besides me, if so please e-mail me, if not for all those who have this option, note this might happen to you.
  • woodlandtrailswoodlandtrails Member Posts: 2
    It is down to these 3 vehicles.

I am having a horrible time deciding. Does anyway know anything about reliabiity of Subaru?
    Thanks
  • mcpaganomcpagano Member Posts: 6
    I have a Rav4 with the hard wheel cover and this has not happen to me yet. Do you mean that the lock was on the cover and it still came off? Have you contacted the dealer to see if they will replace it? Let us know if you find out the cause of this.
  • sabuyersabuyer Member Posts: 1
    Any references on a great dealer in my region? I would like to purchase a RAV4, and would like to contact a dealer who is willing to provide the price and purchasing experience.

Thanks
  • whidbeywhidbey Member Posts: 6
    I need help. I'm trying to get a 4x2 RAV4, but am getting conflicting information about what can be obtained. I had wanted to get a green Quick Order with ABS and a few other options. Was told at one dealership that to get ABS I had to upgrade to the L Package, which I don't want. I was willing to do this to get the ABS, but didn't think I could get the green with the L Package. Guy told me no problem, I can get any color I want, and would take about 5 weeks to get it in. Talked to another guy at a different dealership, he said Toyota will not build green with L package, but that I could possibly get the Quick Order with the ABS but that it would be a 2002. Does anyone know which would actually be true. I'm trying to get this vehicle, but am getting very frustrated playing the options game. Help!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Subarus have done well reliability-wise. Consumer Reports recommends all of Subaru's vehicles and scores them with above average reliability. You may want to check out the Subaru Community here at Town Hall by going to http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall.subaru

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Whidbey: I believe the green is available only in the non-L RAV (red, too); that's according to the brochure. And yes, you could probably get the ABS on a non-L; you may have to special-order, or just get lucky that one can be found for you somewhere in the region, if you have a salesperson who really tries.

Drew/Host: Why are you telling us about Subies?

ejp
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Because someone asked and I'm redirecting him to the right areas.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Copy that.
    ejp
  • benksterbenkster Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the RX300 will be redesigned for 2003? Will it be a 7 passenger?
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Best trade I ever made. I like this vehicle so much more. The CRV did have great resale or trade in value fortunately.

Mine was 24500 sticker got 1300.00 off or paid 23,200.00.
    Thanks for the response. I talked to Toyota today and they did confirm I could get the ABS with the Quick Order package. Of course, I will probably have to factory order, but I'm willing to get what I want. This is great as I didn't want the L Package in the first place. I don't really want to spend the extra grand on what is basically cosmetic items, although I do have mixed feelings about the privacy glass and wonder if that might be worth the extra money. I am having difficulty in getting a price quote. Tried the blast faxing, got one response, and he basically said I have to come in for a quote. Tried requesting through e-mail, no response. Over the phone they tell they can't quote me a price unless I come in, truly annoying. This has been one hard vehicle to purchase.
    You're welcome.

Good luck if you have to special-order a RAV; I've heard 3 months or more. And some dealers may not want to be bothered for that reason. If you can be a little flexible as to the options, you may get one thru a dealer-to-dealer search much sooner. ABS and Limited Slip Diff were not readily available in NJ when I shopped in Jan, so I went ahead and bought a RAV without them.

I agree, the L-package has gingerbread I can live without and definitely would not want to pay $1,000 for. But do include in your order the tonneau cover for the hatch area; it hides your storage (especially if you have no window tint). If the cover comes with the vehicle, it is US$90, but if you go to the parts dept to get one later - $600 plus! And the roof rack is almost impossible to get after purchase, from Toyota or anyone else.

And I forgot one color - red, green and blue are non-L only.

Again, good luck. Great vehicle.

ejp
  • ltd2ltd2 Member Posts: 14
    yes, Steve, it is the out-the-door price.
    according to Edmunds:
    MSRP: $22188
    Invoice: $20450
    i think i got it at close to $700 below invoice.
    was thinking to wait after this month, hoping there will be some kind of cash rebate for RAV4
    next month which can bring the price even lower,
    couldnot wait though...
    after all the research i have done, i think i got
    a very good deal, what do you guys think? :)
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I'm trying to help my brother find a rack for his new rav. Are there any places that sell oem rav4 racks? He said he went back to his dealer but they don't have any yet.
  • nwclimbernwclimber Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what the changes will be, and when these will be available? Should I wait and buy a 2002 or buy a 2001, that's my dilemna.

Dianne
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    nwclimber,
    I doubt if there will be any "MAJOR" changes in the 2002....due to the fact they just had a "MAJOR" overhaul in 2001.You can get some really good deals on the 2001 right now...Read the previous posts...lots of reports that they are selling at invoice price.
  • paull2paull2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new to this forum but I just bought a '96 RAV4 with AWD, automatic with a limited slip differential. Since I am new to this type of vehicle and have no manuals, maybe someone out there can answer a couple questions.

1. Is the LSD in the center, front or rear?

2. Can you easily tell if the LSD is working or not?

3. On the highway at 75 MPH the automatic seems to labor on even small inclines and drops out of overdrive when the accelerator is pressed to maintain speed. Is this a problem with the adjustment of the downshift cable?

It is a great vehicle and we love it. I appreciate any answers that you can provide. Thanks.

Paul
  • propredicrpropredicr Member Posts: 6
    Just had the opportunity to test drive a 2001 Rav4... fully loaded except for leather. White with gray int. 5spd. Looks rugged enough, just like Lexus Smooth as silk and enough power and lot's of room with the many different variations of seat positions. I've got a bad back and the seats felt incredible and good side bolsters. Now I'm considering it instead of Camry LE V6, Accord LX V6 or Passat GLS V6.
  • bob346bob346 Member Posts: 12
    HAVING PROBLEM WITH AS I CALL IT TWILIGHT ZONE, ON ACCELERATION, START OUT COLD IN THE AFTERNOON, TURN AIR ON GO A LITTLE DISTANCE THEN TURN UP A FAIRLY STEEP HILL & THEN IT HAPPEN NO POWER TO GET UP THE HILL, HAVE TO GO SO SLOW I CAN WALK FASTER THAN IT GOES. AFTER I GET TO THE TOP AL ok AGAIN? I HAVE TRIED STOPPING PERIOD NO HELP, TRIED TAKING IT OUT OF OVER DRIVE NO HELP, GETTIG ABOUT 18 MILES PER GALLON WITH AIR ON & CITY DRIVING ONLY, ANYONE HAVING SAME PROBLEM? ALSO TRIED SHIFTING GEARS NO HELP.THIS ALSO HAS HAPPENED ON JUST REGULAR FLAT DRIVING
  • elronelron Member Posts: 13
    Hello, everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows exactly when the 02 Ravs are coming out. I'm stuck between waiting for the 02 or just trying to pick up the 01. On another matter, I know this can't be true. My wife spoke to a dealer about a 01 Rav w/L package and he claimed they only come with leather seats(probably more like that's all they have left). My guess is, he just doesn't want to be bothered looking for one without leather.
  • afireafire Member Posts: 30
    2002 Ravs come out in September... late September. And, the Limited cars come with both cloth and leather. Possibly, your regional dealers request that their cars be built in Limiteds with leather only? Keep looking!
  • bumper4bumper4 Member Posts: 4
    Close to buying a new Rav. Can't decide between leather or cloths seats. Is leather more comfortable than cloth? Are they worth the money? Thanks in advance, Bumper4
    Does your acceleration problem only happen with a cold engine and the air conditioning on?
    ejp
    Leather, when cold, is COLD brrrr! Cloth isn't as subject to the elements as leather is with heat or cold but there is NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING like sliding into a leather seat for a long cruise.

:>
  • bob346bob346 Member Posts: 12
    TO SUVSHOPPER4 no it happens under any condition it seem as though the transmission stays in 4 gear or the computer stops the car from changing gears or any change to let the vehicle operate normally. thanks for the reply.
    Occasionally (maybe 4 times in 8,000+ miles), my auto tranny has not shifted down when I thought it should have, and my '01 RAV moved very slowly. I agree, it seems like a computer problem, but it could be some vacuum-related part, too. Since it has happened so seldom to me, and not lately, I thought it might just be a break-in situation, and I am not concerned.
    Having the a/c on would probably contribute to that sluggishness, because the 2.0L engine would have trouble with the extra labor of accelerating and/or going uphill. Several people on rav4world.com have had your problem more often than I have. I'm not sure if or how it has been resolved for them.
    Good luck.
    ejp
    What kind of wheels do I have to get with the L-package and how much do they run? Also, if I decide not to get the L, can I still get foglights? Thanks.
    Foglights on the "L" are part of the package, yet for 2001 they are not an option for a non-L. The wheel that a 2wd L package car will have are the 5-split-spoke alloys.

Fiery
  • deb1223deb1223 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings!

My mother-in-law, who lives several hundred miles away from us, wants to purchase a used Toyota RAV4. She is hoping that my elderly father-in-law, who has difficulty getting into their Buick Regal will have more success with a small SUV (sits high), and she likes what she has read about the Toyota. I sent her printouts of every mini SUV made a couple of months ago (thanks to Edmund’s) and her mind seems to made up without even driving one.

My question is this, what year would be the best to look for as she can not afford a new one, and are there any secrets about the RAV4 we need to know before she buys one? She will need an automatic with AWD. Nothing fancy, air-conditioning and a radio will be just fine. My husband and I are hoping to help her purchase the vehicle when the time comes. She is one that typically just pays what the sticker says *sigh*. If any of you know of a year that would be better than another, please let me know. We do not have a whole lot of time to research this purchase, as we typically do for autos. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Deb
    Could I get the hard spare tire cover without the L-package? Thanks.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Yes, but I think the hard tire cover costs around $400 - $500! You should be able to order it from a Toyota service department.
    Does anyone know about U.S. buyers purchasing a Rav4 from Canada. They have a "C" package that would have all the options I would want, plus I really prefer the look of the color keyed body side moulding and bumpers. I don't much care for the silver accent, especially as the color I am hoping to get is green. Would there be a special tax to pay for purchasing out of the country and would the warranty still apply? If that doesn't work out, has anyone heard when they will be coming out with the 2002? I have heard either September or November. Thanks for the input.
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    Just a warning for all those concerned. I just had absolutely the worst experience ever at Neil Toyota in Lynbrook, Long Island, New York. I ordered a 2001 non "L" edition 4X4, w/ABS, QO, roof rack, etc. The order was placed 6 weeks ago and a very reasonable price was agreed upon as per the sales order. The deal was made because the sales manager quoted us a monthly figure based upon a specific down payment. When we went to pick up the vehicle last Friday the 13th (hmmmm), the fun began. First, we informed the dealer we did not want their alarm or ext. warranty. Then we went to see the finance manager who informed us that they had to change the sales tax figures because we were insuring the car in a different county, which I felt was OK. The 1st thing that smelled funny was that when he brought our deal up on his PC, I noticed that the sales tax figure was already 8.5% (the figure for Nassau county, NY) - word to the wise: always sit where you can see the salesman's PC screen). I noticed him fumbling around with the windows on his PC, obviously nervous that I could see his screen. He then told me he could not finance us at the quoted monthly payment for the following reasons, in sequential order:
    1 - sales tax in Nassau is 9.5% (actually 8.5%), then
    2 - interest rates are different for Nassau than NYC (since when, I said!), then
    3 - interest rates have gone up in the past 6 weeks, then
    4 - when I told him anybody who watches the news would probably know that interest rates have been falling for 6 mos., he told me auto rates are not based upon the rates that the FED oversees, then
    5 - it's only $23 more a month (actually $1380 over the life of a 60 mos. loan, and the principle alone is what bothered me), and finally
    6 - If we didn't like it, we could take our deposit and leave.
    Very nice customer service don't u think? There's more, but I'll stop here. We did walk out, but after checking our options at a few other dealerships and finding none that could get us a RAV with our options/color, give us anything less than an 8 week wait, or match the price, we had to very grudgingly bite the bullet and go back the next day to take the vehicle for the $23 more a month. I blame myself for not having them write the monthly payment amount on the sales order, but I guarantee I would have been treated better had the RAV4 not been such a hot item right now.
    Please excuse my lengthy tirade, but, as you can see, I am highly upset by this situation. I do not appreciate it when people try to cheat me, but belittling my intelligence on top of everything else really sets me off. Just another case of high demand coupled with low supply making things ugly for the consumer. Just want everyone possible to know what I went thru at Neil Toyota in NY.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Your first mistake was to go back and accept their terms. Your second mistake was the same as the first.
    cevans2: I sympathize. I don't like those jerk-around situations either. Insulting. But if you want the vehicle...
    Your experience is a good reason to walk into the dealership with your own financing lined up, and just negotiate the total vehicle price, not payments. Then, if the dealer offers better financing, you take it. You have an option.
    At least you were able to get a RAV with the ABS. I hope you enjoy it for a lot of trouble-free miles.
    ejp
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    tron - you are very right that I should not have taken the car from this dealer. But it was a situation where the car that the RAV is replacing was already sold, we had already waited six weeks, and my dad's wife REALLY wanted the RAV as we had ordered. Under normal circumstances, this dealer would never have seen us again, but.....
    suvshopper4 - Normally, I always line up my own financing, but as of late, dealers have been giving rates (under incentives or otherwise) that banks simply cannot match. I just bought a 98 4runner a month ago and I got 6.4% for 60 mos. - from another dealer, of course. That kind of rate for a used car is next to impossible from the bank. I made a big mistake in this case by negotiating the monthly payment in addition to the final price of the car AND not having them put BOTH in writing. I actually have another RAV on order for my mom with this same dealer that is being paid cash, scheduled for delivery next week - I am actively checking other dealers so I can take this sale away from Neil Toyota, but they have my $1K deposit. We'll see how much they mess with me on that deal. I'm hoping the sales manager will try to avoid me going ballistic on him again. Quite simply, I expected better from Toyota - now I know what Acura MDX shoppers are complaining about.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Pretty ugly in my opinion.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The guy selling that product you linked to spammed Town Hall 25 times three weeks ago before we got his user name banned. So I deleted your post and the link :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Good, because that thing was very unattractive. The soft cover for the spare, combined with a small cable lock, is better.
    Does anyone have an idea how much over invoice people are paying right now for their RAVs? Thanks. I plan to buy real soon.
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    That was me who posted the URL to that product.

I'll be more careful in the future.

My appologies.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No need to apologize hotcoffee. If the guy owing that url hadn't been a spammer who got on our wrong side your post would have been ok.

The SUV spare tire covers discussion may be of interest.

Carry on!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Bless you.
  • propredicrpropredicr Member Posts: 6
    Got the Titanium with gray cloth interior... wide mud guards, 5 spoke 16" wheels, upgrade I pack, rear spoiler, key less, engine immobilize, lad slip, roof rack, VP3+ alarm, rust proof (I live in a very humid/ocean climate. Had dealer throw in low cost items, wheel locks, cargo net, cargo mat. Cost before tax, doc, license= $23,087.03...Edmunds TV $23,349. Paid cash final out the door= $25,059.37. Going to get windows tinted tomorrow and Wet Okoles (waterproof specialty seat covers) on the front seats. So far, it's a fun little ride.