Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• jc77jc77 Member Posts: 14
    I am likely to purchase a rav4 very soon. however, it seems that the salespeople at the 2 toyota dealerships I visited seem to know close to nothing about this vehicle. for example, when I asked what "rear privacy glass" was, the salesman said it had something to do with how the rear view mirror reduces glare from headlights behind you. was he right, or am I crazy to not believe him? anyhow, that reply greatly reduced my confidence in him, so I'm here hoping that someone might know the answers to some of my picky questions.

1. the quick order package says it comes with carpeted floor mats. does this include the mat for the rear cargo space or do I have to order that separately?
    2. do non-L ravs come with at least some type of spare tire cover? i saw one rav on the lot that had a soft gray/black cover - is this standard?
    3. please confirm that rear privacy glass is actually a deeper tint on the glass, and not a rear view mirror feature.

thanks in advance for your help. or, if someone could direct me to another place where these types of questions should be asked, i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks.

also, can anyone recommend a good toyota dealer in the greater houston area? i'm willing to drive some distance to get better service and a good deal.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    jc77: To answer your questions -
    1. Cargo mat is extra cost, not part of the floor mats' cost.
    2. Non-L spare comes with a plastic hubcap-type cover only (which says "Toyota" on it - only place on the exterior where the name appears). No more factory soft covers in '01.
    3. Privacy glass is factory tinting on the rear windows.
    One caution - for some reason, Gulf States RAVs have a different import arrangement than the rest of the country, and seem to be a little different.

There's also a "2001 RAV4 Deals" thread under Smart Shopper here in Town Hall, where you might get additional info.

Good luck.
    ejp
  • propredicrpropredicr Member Posts: 6
    to jc77... have them throw in the cargo mat. Privacy glass is only tint. I had my windows tinted professional to block out the UV and heat reduction. Since you are in Houston, I'd recommend professional tint all the way around @ 35% minimum. It's still light enough to let you see out the back and sides, but enhances the look of the car without looking like a hoodlum.
  • rosawrosaw Member Posts: 1
    I have year 2001 Toyota RAV4. Last week, one Honda Civic hit me on the left side and it got roll over 3-4 times. The speed was only around 25-30 miles/hour. If any one have the similar problem and want to collect more evidence, please contact with me.
  • afireafire Member Posts: 30
    Whose speed was 25-30? If yours was, what was their's? Physics is a funny thing. The right angle, the right velocity, and a combination of angle and torque and even uphill-downhill or lower car to higher car issues can make anything roll. Anything!

Sorry for your accident though. It's a bummer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    bummer rosaw, how 'bout all the gory details?

Meanwhile, here's a news blurb:

"Sport-utility vehicles, as a rule, have higher centers of gravity than passenger cars. That means, under the laws of physics, sport-utes have a greater tendency to roll over than passenger cars."

Detroit News article

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• elronelron Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone out there have the beige cloth interior? What are your thoughts? Are you satisfied with that color interior? My wife likes the Rav in the gold exterior but isn't sure she wants the beige interior. That leaves us with the black,silver, or white exterior choices. We keep going back and forth with our color choices. Has anyone seen a silver Rav with the black door handles and mirrors. I have yet to see one. How does it look?
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I looked at both the Rav-4 and the Santa Fe today, and before today I would not have considered a Hyundai. After driving the two, I think the Santa Fe is the best value in the category today. It rides and handles very well, feels solid, and I can get a loaded Santa Fe for the price of a stripped down 4 cylinder Rav 4.I can remember when people used to bash the Japanese cars for quality, and they ultimately had the last laugh. It appears that the Korean cars have improved considerably and you can still get them at a great price, with the best warranty out there. I say buy before everyone catches on and drives the price up to match the rest of the world. I'd rather invest the $10K or $20K I'll save. By the way, I noticed the Santa be was getting a lot of admiring looks.
    A salesman told me that I couldn't order a tonneau cover cover with my Rav(QO package). This doesn't sound right. Also, if you put a down payment and want to cancel how long do you have? Is the deposit good as gone? Thanks
    elron: A guy I know got the tonneau cover with his QO pkg '01 RAV, and he did not special-order, just bought it off the lot (December). I bought the cover from him, and he bought my roof rack, both at sticker price. Win/win.
    As to deposits lost or returned, I don't know. Depends on the dealer and/or how the deal is legally worded, I guess.
    Good luck.

bjbird2: Did you buy the Santa Fe?
    I agree, they are well-priced. Time will tell if Hyundai's quality matches their warranty.

ejp
    Thanks suv shopper4. This tonneau cover thing is freaking me out. I asked for the QO package and according to these pricing sites, I should be able to order it if I have the QO pkg. I'm not paying no ballooned price for it after market. These dealers are a piece of work.
    I did not buy the Santa Fe yet, but I,m leaning that way, still looking.

I just checked J. D Powers and the ratings on the 2001 Santa Fe and Rav 4 are about equal. The Rav got downgraded in mechanical quality and body and interior quality "based on information taken from IQS study, the score is based on problems reported with":
    .engine and transmission
    .steering
    .suspension
    .braking
    .exterior paint problems
    .wind noise
    .water leaks
    .poor interior fit and finish
    .squeaks and rattles

The Santa Fe also had some problems.
    They gave their highest rating in this category to the Honda CRV.
    I quess Toyota even has problems in their first model year.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Both of my parents work for Toyota (which saves me around $2000 on a new car :-) )and very soon I shall be driving and I have several decisions to make on what car I want. I have several 2002 models in mind. These are the ECHO, Corolla, Celica, Camry (redesign), Solara, RAV4 and Matrix (2003). The ECHO, Matrix and Corolla would be loaded. Celica, RAV4 would be moderately loaded while the Solara and Camry would have few options on them. I want a vehicle that can get me from point A to point B in an efficient and safe manner although it needs to be stylish, practical and easy to drive. I don't want a vehicle that wouldn't be utilized. (example-I have no use for a Land Cruiser nor an MR Spyder) I also want a vehicle that gives me a good view of the road. Someone I know has a 91 Civic...and I love how I can see the front end of the car from the passenger seat. My vehicle would definitely be automatic, have ABS and side impact airbags (if available) and a CD player. I want to know which vehicle would best suit my needs. I deeply appreciate everyone's advice. BTW--I love the silver L package RAV4 and the blue RAV4!
    The Matrix looks cool.
    bjbird2: Can you provide a link or a URL to the RAV4 JD Power info you posted in #263? I'd appreciate it.
    I found a JD Power site, but was not able to get specific info.
    Thanks.
    ejp
    My dealer had his invoice showing around $350 more than Edmunds. Is that too high or is Edmunds too low?
  • cb354cb354 Member Posts: 3
    bj...I would also like to see that JD Power info. I own a 2001 Rav and have experienced brake problems and many interior rattles, very uncharacteristic of toyota and dissapointing on an otherwise great vehicle. Thanks in advance... Chris
    New Jersey Rav buyers. The Protection plus security window etching charge is that charge Mandatory or what? The dealer says no.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The dealer is correct.
    raybear, Check it out I worded it wrong in the previous post. This is what actually happened. I ordered a rav. Did most of the paperwork(signed it). Realized after, at home, that the window etching charge was there on the paperwork. I called him( the manager) and said hey I don't want the security window etching. He said you have to have it. I said you don't even have the vehicle and it isn't even ordered yet. I don't want it. Again, he said that it's non negotiable.
  • rowerowe Member Posts: 2
    Just went to the dealership to have my dashboard fixed. I use a radar detector (specifically referring to the cord) that rubbed off the paint from the dash. Sounds kind of odd. Dealership told me it was not under warranty but said they would take care of it anyway. Anyone else have this problem. This is the 1st Toyota that I have had that has a painted dash.
    I bought my RAV in NJ in January.
    Window-etching was an extra that the salesman pushed heavily. Mandatory? No. Extra profit? Yes. (And the price of it is very negotiable.)
    Footnote: There may be a small insurance savings if you have the etching.
    ejp
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    On my 4runner before, they charge me $50 to put in on all the glass/window parts.
    Cancel the order then.
    Can I still cancel? What about my down payment(it's on the credit card)? I went to the dealer on Saturday((7/28). They told me the car will take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks. Since I didn't even start to talk about financining, can I still try to get money off(doc fees, anything?)
    If it's on a credit card you can definitely cancel They're trying to pull a sleaze with the vin-etch. Tell them you're cancelling and they'll likely back down.
    I appreciate all the help! Thanks guys.
    I'm through debating the merits and faults of the Santa Fe, Liberty, RAV 4, and Escape. I drove a Pathfinder LE last night, and after getting the dealer down to $500 below invoice with 0.9% financing, I'm sold. The 2001 has a 240 HP Maxima engine and tranny, and there is no equal in the SUV category. Drive one and find out for yourself!

suvshopper4. I tried for over an hour to find the J.D.Powers site that I copied that info from, and could not find it again. That site is one of the worst to navigate. If I find it again, I'll post it on here.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I didn't have any luck either - this is the best that I can come up with.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

On a silver 2001 RAV4 with L package, spoiler, and silver step tubes...what would look best?
    a)Silver fade to black on all glass (except windshield)
    b)Mirror on all windows (except W/S)
    c)Smoked metal on all windows (except W/S)

Same question for a 2001 blue RAV4 with silver tubes and quick order package? What is involved in removing the tint that comes in the L package and applying the new tint? THANKS!
  • propredicrpropredicr Member Posts: 6
    First check with local authorities on %. 20% in front is pretty typical. I put Formula One Ultimate 35% all the way around and a 20% 4" strip at the top of the windshield=$245.

For whatever reason, Toyota cut corners and didn't tint out that strip. Aftermarket tinting film is UV resistant up to about 99% vs. tinted glass=0%. Mirrored tint looks disco. I have the Titanium,too. Did the smoke and it looks great.
  • carguy000carguy000 Member Posts: 55
    My aunt bought a new RAV4 and is loving it. However, she's got around 10,000 miles on it now and is experiencing a sound that is only heard during braking. Her dealer changed the brake pads, and she seems to think that it helped a little, but she's still having a problem. What do you guys think it could be? It's coming from the front of the car, and it is not a constant sound when she is braking, but rather one that sounds as if it makes a sound every time the tire goes around or something. Thanks for your help.
    carguy000: some people on another RAV site's message board have had some '01 RAV brake noise, and have had luck by lubricating the back (NOT the braking side) of the disc pad where it meets metal (a retainer clip or some such). I believe one owner said a Permatex product, made for this purpose, worked well for him.

It is possible that the sound, as you described it, could be related to bearings, but not very likely with only 10k miles and the dealer's tech having already worked on it.
    Good luck.
    ejp
  • rav4ownerrav4owner Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2001 RAV4 in October 2000. I've had problems with the engine light coming on 2 times. The first time, the dealer changed a pipe by the catalytic converter, and recently when the problem reoccurred they changed 2 fuel sensors and approx $1800 worth of other stuff that were part of the emissions. Did anyone else have this problem. I have approximately 34,000 miles on my RAV. I also have a rattle in the dash board that occurs when it is cool outside. they put a noise suppression kit in and it still makes the noise. Also the driver's seat was loose and had to be tightened and the frame replaced. Does this sound familiar to anyone!
  • guinvereguinvere Member Posts: 8
    I have a 9 year old Corolla wagon I love dearly but need to replace. Does the RAV4 have more or less interior room than the current Corolla wagon? I have 2 kids and a dog and would like more rear-seat legroom.

Thanks!
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    285: "Does this sound familiar to anyone?" No, I don't own a RAV4.. As a potential buyer of one, it doesn't "sound good!"... Are others having this many problems with the new model?

286: Being of large frame myself, I find it amazing that I fit quite comfortably in some very small cars and can't even get into some very large cars. Interior room in vehicles is totally dependent upon your size and proportions and I suggest you take the kids and the dog to your nearest Toyota dealer and try on the various vehicles for size..
    Info gained from another RAV4 site:
    - The dash rattle has been reported by more than a few people. The dealer has a fix (kit from the factory), but it seems to work for some and not for others. The condition does seem to be temperature related for some, as you say. One guy devised his own fix, and others say it worked for them.
    - I've heard of only one case of the 'check engine' light coming on where it was not gas-cap related (cap needs to be tightened a couple clicks). I don't know if that guy has had it serviced yet.
    - I've not heard of anyone else having a problem with a loose seat or seat frame.

Also, some owners have complained of noisy brakes. They say the vehicle stops just fine, but the noise concerns them. rav4owner, have you had this problem? With 34,000 miles, you probably have much more experience with the new RAV than 99% of the buyers.

Like many others, I've not had any problems with my '01 RAV, and now have about 9,800 miles on it.
    ejp
  • anthony921anthony921 Member Posts: 40
    ....but my wife's although I do drive it a lot when I'm not in my Highlander. The dash rattle was fixed prior to the TSB coming out but seems to be coming back. There is a slight noise from the front brakes as the vehicle is about to come to a stop. Also a small air leak around the drivers side door at highway speeds.

It will be going into the dealership soon to correct those minor problems. Have purchased nothing but Toyota's since 1981 and couldn't be happier. Any problems that have come up were always quickly resolved. Prior to buying the Rav and the Highlander I did road test others and they just didn't compare for me. You may more for a Toyota product but it's worth it in the long run.

I was very lucky to find a wonderful Toyota dealership (Sunrise Toyota, Oakdale, Long Island.) All and all very happy with the Rav, our second one. The first, a 1998 Rav4 L was given to our oldest daughter for college. Never a problem with it.

The above minor problems are nothing compared to what some folks are going through in the Jeep GC and Ford Escape problems. One Escape owner is selling it with 2,000 miles on it because the engine dies for no reason while the vehicle is being operated, even at highway speeds. They no longer trust it because it's so unsafe. I really feel for them as life is just too short for that type of continued aggravation.

A great site specfic to the Rav 4 is located at www.rav4world.com, an excellent amount of information is provided there. You are able to view and print most of the TSB's that are issued by Toyota as well as participate in a very friendly message board.

Good luck and happy Rav'ing !!!!!
    More info re the "Check Engine Light" coming on, per my previous post #288.
    Here is the resolution of the situation from the owner, Antoine:

"Update...
    Sat Jul 28 11:42:26 2001

Just got back from the dealer. Problem resolved. There's a TSB (that applies to all 2wd and 4wd, manual and auto) that involves reprogramming the ECU. The whole thing takes about 30 minutes. The fault codes were 0420 and 0430, which indicate below normal efficiency for catalytic converter, banks 1 and 2, respectively. Of course, the cat is fine, and the codes were erroneous. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the service I just received. Happy RAVin'"
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Does anyone have some insight into what is changing on the 2002 RAV4 and when they hit the showrooms?
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    i'm looking to buy a rav 2001.are the rav4 selling for invoice or a few hundred over.i live in staten island n.y.. could somebody give me a contact name or dealer in n.y or new jersey area.what would be a good deal over invoice for this suv. thanks to all that respond. does anybody know if the 2002 rav4 have a bigger engine the horspower on the 2001 looks a little sluggish. any thoughts on the motor

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• anthony921anthony921 Member Posts: 40
    ....at all with the engine. 148 HP doesn't make it a rocket ship, but the power in the low end torque is plenty. Not sluggish at all. Very happy with it, great quality, and my wife loves it.

For a site specfic to the Rav 4, check out www.rav4world.com

Good luck !!!
    Very little change for the 2002 RAV, not surprisingly. The only thing I've read is that some color choices may be different. No need to change the engine, in my opinion. Maybe down the road this will happen, especially if the new CR-V, probably out this fall, ups the ante enough to really hurt sales of the RAV.

Regarding price, $500 over invoice is still the best I've read so far, and even that is rare. There is now a second production facility (also in Japan); if demand slacks off and supply builds up, things may change.
    According to a worker at the Port of Portland (OR), the first shipment of '02 RAV4s hit the port yesterday (Sat 8/18). I don't know how long it takes for them to start showing up on the dealers' lots, but it shouldn't be long now.

And besides different color choices for '02, there is supposedly some change to body-colored 'bumpers' for the US; I think these were available in '01 in other parts of the world.

ejp
  • rav4ownerrav4owner Member Posts: 2
    Initially when I purchased my 2001 RAV4 I noticed a grinding noise when I applied the brakes to stop. I took the RAV to the dealer where they cleaned the pads and the noise would stop for awhile. It finally stopped after a month and a half of driving. Remember I drive a lot 35-37,000 miles per year.
    I just got back from some dealer service. While waiting, I walked around and checked the new vehicles on the lot. There were 6 '01 RAV4s, and I found that only 2 had both roof rack crossbars installed correctly (arrows pointing forward). Three had one crossbar pointing rearward, and 1 had both pointing wrong.

The crossbars are slightly non-symetrical, and if they are installed incorrectly, there are wind-noise problems. You'd think the dealership would know this after all this time, but evidently the word has not been passed, or someone is not closely watching the guys who install the racks (I'm told this is done at the dealership, not the factory or the port).
    Hi, I might be getting a used 2001 RAV4. Are there any features I should definitely get or are worth looking for? What would you expect to pay for a 2001 with about 20,000 miles on it and is automatic? I know there are different versions...but what would be a good range? Also...has anyone had any fender benders or wrecks in their RAV4? How did it hold up considering I've only heard bad about its rear crash test?
    Who knows what an '01 RAV would go for used?
    Is it an 'L'? And why is it being sold? Bought back in an arbitration settlement? Check out if it has major brake noise or dash rattle.
    You might try the edmunds thread about real-world trade-in values (or some such title). There are a couple pretty sharp-sounding dealer-type guys there.

As far as taking a hit, I read of one guy who T-boned a Toyota Tacoma at an intersection, hard enough to flip the Taco onto its side. The RAV sustained about $5,000 damage (I think) to the front end, but no damage to the driver (of either vehicle).
    It was used for a while as a Toyota traveling vehicle. Toyota uses certain models to allow employees to travel between facilities in KY, WV, and Indiana. RAV4 is one of them. One with 6K miles went for $16,000 the other day. I hope I can get a good deal like that on one. I'm pretty sure it will be automatic. I hope it has a sunroof and a spoiler :-) and the L package of course. ABS are a must also
    I was thinking that $16,000 used with only 6K miles sounds pretty good, but then I thought it may be a real stripper (2WD, no QO pkg, no auto trans), and then $16k is not much below original MSRP.
    Still, it sounds like that *may* be a good way to get a used '01 RAV, buying one after the manufacturer has used it for a while. [Possibly the company only uses strippers for this purpose?] I think I'd compute (using edmunds new car pricing) the MSRP and the 'fair price' (TMV?) for the way that particular vehicle is equipped, then figure how much off they are allowing for each mile of use on the vehicle. It is a starting point, at least.
    Good luck.
    ejp