Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Yeah that is possible....but we've used one of the XLE Siennas once and it had leather and a sunroof.
    My mom borrowed a 2000 4 wheel drive RAV4 for the weekend. It has 2000 miles and is sale at $15,300. It's automatic, has the value package...power doors, locks, dark glass...no cd player though...and has antilock brakes. pretty good deal.....how does the spartan 2000 compare to the nice 2001? The 2000 felt underpowered and loud.
  • ajay010170ajay010170 Member Posts: 2
    i brought a new rav 4 since then it has this funny noise in it the rattle as i called it took it to the dealer told me that its from crow panel worked on it 3 times but no change,its kind of temperature related, more in cold weather and it is enough to drive me nuts, anyone knows what should i do next,or whats the solution.thanx.ajay.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    ajay: I don't know what you mean by 'crow panel' (cowl?). If you mean the dash/windshield area, there are others with this problem, and Toyota issued a Tech Service Bulletin on it. Seems that cure works for some, not for others. At least one guy I know of fixed it himself. He posted photos and instructions over on rav4world.com. You might try a search there; use 'dash rattle' as your search phrase.
    Good luck.
  • sox123sox123 Member Posts: 1
    Never having owned a RAV4, or any Toyota for that matter, I need advice. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1998 RAV4, with 210,000 miles on it, for approx. $5,000(from a friend who wholesales cars and I trust him.) Body is in great shape. Newish name brand tires. You'd never know it had all of those miles on it by just looking. It's a 5 speed and with that many miles, they have to be highway miles, I'm assuming the transmission would be fine. What should I watch out for? Opinions?
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    i would not waste my time and money on a suv with all those miles on it.DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE HOW THIS CAR was driven.plus with all those miles how many oil changes do you think were done on this rav 4 with less than 3000 miles. I WOULD BET NOT MANY.my only concern would be the motor and the trany.I would say for 5000 dollars or a little more money you could buy a vehicle with less wear and tear on the motor and trans. good luck with your decision.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

just wanted to add onto my last message.listen if your going to buy this rav4 with 210,000 miles, and i see its from your friends place do yourself a favor spend an extra 100 bucks and have a reputable mechanic check it soup to nuts.. GO YANKEE'S SORRY I HAD TO THROW THAT IN THERE. I FEEL FOR YOU REDSOX

I like Toyotas and believe they are built to last, but $5,000 for a vehicle with 210,000 miles, one which probably cost around $20,000 new, sounds like a lot to me. Still...
    Question: How many miles would you need to get out of this vehicle for you to feel you got your money's worth? I suppose if it has no problems (check it out), and it has already gone 210k, why not 250k? I would pay $5,000 for a vehicle I liked if I thought that it would give me 2 good years of service.
    Good luck.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    too many miles even for a Toyota. Car may indeed worth 5000 but that's only because there are middleman who roll back the odometers. They can roll it back to 80,000 miles and sell it for 7000.
    roll back is very common in the used car buiness.SURE THEY WILL GIVE YOU 3 6 OR 1 YEAR warr. BUT guess what then your stuck with problems after the warranty,problems always seem to happen after the fact.my buddy sold used cars and i know first hand about roll back.I ALWAYS buy new. i'm not saying you cant find good cars out there. MY MOTTO TRUST NO ONE.

• ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    210k miles is quite a bit of mileage, even for a Toyota, as the previous poster noted. Also the fact that it's a 1998 model, it has about 4 years to rack up those miles. That's 52,500 miles per year. That many miles in such little time is hard on an engine, yes even on "indestructable" Toyota powerplants. Geez, my Camry has almost 203K miles on it, but it's almost 14 years old(1988)!
    Pass on it and look for a better deal.

-RAVvie4me
    I would still go for the 2001 model. It's more refined, powerful (VVT-i), and better looking (even though I like the original RAV4), IMHO, than the 1st gen RAV4. The 2000 model used a revised (or should I say "modernized?") version of the 3SFE 2.0-liter 4-cyl engine (the same one used in my 1988 Camry, no joke) which is none two powerful in any form.

And what's this fascination with the word "Hmmmm" being used as a title? Hmmm? :-)

-RAVvie4me
    I just read on another site that MotorWeek (TV show) tested a RAV4 (L, AWD, manual trans) on their latest show, and that it went 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds, considerably faster than the 10-plus seconds usually reported. Maybe the engine on this one was broken in? Break-in seems to have made a big difference on mine with auto trans (now at 11k miles).
    Here is the link to the text of MotorWeek TV show's RAV4 review, showing 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds (manual trans, AWD, L).

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2014a.shtml

They also list ground clearance at 7.5 inches, different from what edmunds shows (6.7 inches).

All in all, another very positive review.

I also read that Motor Trend's July issue shows a 0-60 mph time of 9.3. The MT article supposedly contains info on the Hyundai Santa Fe as well, but that's all I heard about it.

ejp

• camdad2000camdad2000 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 RAV4 without the L package, but am interested in purchasing the color-keyed spare tire cover that comes with the L Package. The dealer is asking $400 for it. I am wondering if anyone knows a place to buy a generic color-keyed cover to match the paint ("rainforest green") or possible somewhere that gives a good price on the Toyota cover?
    camdad: You may have a hard time getting a factory-colored green hard spare cover. In the US at least, there were no green 'L' RAVs in '01 (nor red or blue). Maybe it was different in Canada and elsewhere.
    One good place to try is toyotaguys.com. But go to rav4world.com and access the toyotaguys site from there. You'll save 15% (if they stock the item) doing it that way.
    Good luck.
    The Santa Fe in that comparison ran a 11.1sec 0-60mph time (V6 4WD automatic). The manual 4WD RAV4 did it in 9.3sec like you mentioned.

-RAVvie4me
  • adkimadkim Member Posts: 9
    I've located a new RAV4 with most of what I want other than the sunroof. Given the difficulty of finding a perfectly-configured vehicle, I'm inclined to make an offer. I understand a sunroof can be installed aftermarket.

Am seeking thoughts on whether the absence of a sunroof will hurt resale value, and also on the quality/advisability of an aftermarket sunroof. I've had factory-installed ones for the past 20 years and so take them for granted, but could probably learn to live without.

PS this is an "L" package; seems odd that the sunroof wouldn't have been spec'd by Toyota.

Thanks.
    adkim: You might do better with an aftermarket sunroof. I may be wrong (ahem), but I think the RAV's factory sunroof is plastic, not glass. Also, a few '01 RAV (and Highlander) owners have complained about sunroof wind and cool-down popping noises.

Resale value? I'm guessing it is not that big a deal. But then I'm not a big sunroof person - I've had 2 of them (VWs), and they both leaked sooner or later.

Good luck.
  • wsmittywsmitty Member Posts: 2
    my daughter has had a 2001 rav4 that is pulling hard to the right. it has 2000 miles and has had 2 alignments. the tires were also checked out but to no avail. toyota is now avoiding this problem like the plauge. has anyone else had a similar problem or do we have a lemon. we would appreciate any help or suggestions.
    This is the first I've heard of an alignment problem, and I go back-and-forth with a lot of RAVers on another site.

You say the tires were checked out; I guess you mean for tire pressure as well as tire build problems, also rotated to see if there is any difference.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. Did it have these problems when new? Did the alignments help, even temporarily?
  • kevinjh1kevinjh1 Member Posts: 5
    You name it, I've got it on my new (1 month old) RAV4. As of 4/01, the RAVs have a new emmisions computer. This has caused my RAV to have some significant acceleration problems that are going to get me killed. Does anyone else have this problem? Please ask around. Toyota is telling me that this is operating "as designed." I hope they are kidding. It's going into the dealer for the second time next week to get checked, but they don't expect to find 'anything.' I called the 1-800 number, but they tell me the same thing. As far as the rattle noise...had that. Try the tire jack under the passenger seat. I've had to fix this twice already. Make sure it's snug (give it a twist). As far as the windshield noise in colder weather...I can't figure that one out. It happens to me in the AM hours.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    My understanding is that the new RAV is plagued with problems like the rattle, that Toyota will not readily acknowledge.

Check out rav4world.com, you have plenty of company. Some people have gone to arbitration with Toyota for brake and rattle problems and Toyota has repurchased their vehicles. Good luck.
  • wsmittywsmitty Member Posts: 2
    kevinjh1: if the windshield noise is what some people call "dash rattle", the sound roughly coming from where the two pieces come together, there is a TSB on that one. But you probably knew that from the other site. Just wanted to be sure.
    suvshopper4: thanks - I have checked the other site and found it to be very helpful. I posted a message about the sluggish acceleration and the response is alarming. It seems there are many that have this problem, and several good suggestions to try and fix it and/or live with it. I will give a few of them a go, but still think there's a problem here. I'll continue to look for others with the problem and a fix......
    has anybody come across the 02 prices yet for the rav4. thanks

Go to www.cars.com and choose Toyota on the homepage for new car prices...choose 2002, then RAV4 and its all there for you.

On one of these boards (I don't know which one, and don't want to go back a couple weeks and a couple thousand posts to find out), the host posted a couple links to websites of companies selling the "Autobahn Mirror" (D+D Super-Spiegel). I ordered it, and posted to that effect. The host asked that I'd let him know what I thought of the mirror when I got it. I thought I'd post my findings here on my 'home' board. So here goes:

The mirror itself is okay, size-wise, but it has a jointed leg, about 3", that gives it such a size that it will look weird wherever I place it, especially where it 'wants' to go in my rig, stuck onto the windshield. And at US$22.95 + $5.95 s&h, it was not inexpensive.

I shoulda done before what I did today - went to my local parts place and bought 2 little stick-on fisheye mirrors, one for each outside mirror. Total cost was $2.28 plus tax. They work very well.
  • squidd99squidd99 Member Posts: 288
    Those little convex stick on mirrors are great, and the best thing I have found for driver's side blind spot, in the area to the left side of my left rear wheel.

I have used them for years, and now have one on my RAV4 and my Lexus SC430. They are great protection and always let me know if anybody is to my left before I pull over, whether that is at 20 mph or 120.

I think such a mirror should be standard.
  • MULAWYERMULAWYER Member Posts: 24
    After having my new 2001 Rav 4 (Black L package) for 6 months (10K miles) I thought I'd give my impressions for those looking to buy one:

Unlike many other owners, I have not had any problems with rattles or the brakes. My check engine light just went on and my dealer will be looking at it tomorrow (aparantly there is a TSB on this). Other than the check engine light, I have had no problems with it at all. (More on this tomorrow)

As for the performance, I would agree with the consensus that while it may not blow you away, the acelleration is acceptable. One thing I have not seen anyone comment on here is the handling. The Rav 4 handles surprisingly well! The ride is what I expected (a bit bumpy at times), and there is a small amount of road noise at highway speeds (75-80mph). The area where I feel the Rav really shines is in cornering. While its higher center of gravity means it will not out perform an Audi A4, it was no where near as bad as I expected! And just wait until you go to park one in a tight spot! As for gas usage, I have ranged from about 22-24 on average (mainly city-streets and rush-hour).

On the interior, I have no problems fitting in the drivers seat (I'm 6'2" and 250lbs) and my wife also really loves driving it because of the increased visibility for her (5'2"). The seats are best described as typical Toyota. They are comfortable (no problems on a three hour drive), but there are better seats on the market. The rear seats move easy and provide lots of room when you need it. I also agree with the one post that the center arm rest is poor (small and plastic coated), and the radio is only average.

For those debating the two big options, my thoughts:

ABS is not a big deal. I have had to make two extremely quick stops (Gotta love Wisconsin deer!) and had no problem. Lock-up was easy to control, and it was straight (no pull to one side or the other).

4X4 is a great option. I missed the last of the snow last winter so I'm dying to try it this winter. However, for those that live in areas that see heavy rain I highly suggest it. On a recent trip, a major downpour started that had almost every vehicle on the road pulling to the side. My Rav with its Rain-X coated windows (A must!) and its AWD cruised along at 50mph (and probably would have went higher except that visibility didn't allow it)!

Over all, this is a great vehicle. If you are thinking about it, do it. You won't regret it!
  • MULAWYERMULAWYER Member Posts: 24
    re: check engine light, I took my Rav to the dealer who informed me that the light was due to a bad program in the ECU (Emissions Control Unit?) and that there was a TSB for this problem. A quick reprogramming of the ECU, and I was on my way. That was on 9/18. On 9/19 I took it on a 120 mile trip, and was back to my 40 mile commute today (9/20). Thus far (knock on wood) the light has stayed off, and I have not noticed any difference in performance as suggested in post #323.
    That's good news about the ecu fix. No problems, that's great! Come to find out, my RAV problems may actually be the result of a relay that is not working properly, at least, that what others are being told. My dealer, however, will not try anything so I don't know for sure. All I do know is that I still have the problem. Unfortunatly, I may be heading for arbitration on this. I'm holding out to see if another dealer can help me out. Otherwise, I'm not driving the car. Life goes on, I guess. Good luck with the RAV!
    I just got back from my dealer for service (cassette player). While I was there, they unloaded an '02 RAV off the truck. The '01 charges $590 for Anti-lock Brake System; the '02 sticker shows only $300.

I've heard, though, that you must now buy the sunroof to get ABS.
  • slavarslavar Member Posts: 7
    I’ve bought 2002 Rav4 and this one doesn’t have alarm/keyless entry. Dealer is asking around $550 to install it. It sounds a little bit expensive considering that this alarm/keyless entry is very simple comparing with those after market products for the same money. Dealer suggests not going after other alarms but Toyota one by saying that their service department has so many complains and there is possibility of conflicting with manufacture warranty. Any comments please?
  • mcpowhnmcpowhn Member Posts: 1
    2001 RAV with TERRIBLE clunking in rear suspension. 3 trips to dealer can't find problem. Any ideas?
  • xena63xena63 Member Posts: 1
    My roof racks have been installed with the arrows pointing towards the rear of the car. This causes a lot of wind noise as previously reported by others. Does anyone know how to remove the cross members and turn them around or does this need to be done by the dealer?
    xena63: A RAVer named Antoine has a page about the roof rack removal on his website, with photos; this should give you what you are looking for. I know he knows what he is talking about - he bought my roof rack, took it off my RAV, and installed it on his.

Here is the link to that page:

http://home.adelphia.net/~apharamond/id97.thm

If the above link does not work for you, you can access his site thru www.rav4world.com. I believe Antoine's page in question is under 'technical' and/or 'what's new'.

Good luck.

• mga58mga58 Member Posts: 17
    I am eagerly awaiting Edmunds' TMV on the 02' RAVs. Meantime, what kind of deal has anyone been able to negotiate off MSRP to date?
    You might try another board here in Town Hall, the Toyota RAV4 board under Smart Shopper, although that board is pretty quiet too.

It appears RAVers don't post a lot on edmunds, not as much as CR-Vers, Foresterers, Escapers.

Best I heard on '01 RAVs was around $500 over invoice, and that was before the '02s came out. Who knows, though, in a month the dealer lots may be clogged with new RAVs. The world situation, economic and otherwise, makes this all very uncertain.

If you are a serious buyer, you might find out the invoice price on this site, and offer the dealer $200 over invoice right up front. Worst they can say is no, and you won't have wasted anybody's time, yours or theirs. And if there are other dealers in your area, one might say yes just to move the metal (especially at month end).

Good luck.
    GO TO WWW.CARS.COM click on toyota and all your 2002 prices are there. 02 invoice is $ 17265. dest. charge is $510. I'm in the north east and going to buy a 02 rav in the next 4 weeks.due to the current markets and whats been going on buyers will do good.I KNOW THAT FOR $350. OVER INVOICE I COULD BUY A 02 RAV. I'M SHOOTING FOR $200 OVER INVOICE WHEN I'M READY.I WOULD THINK DEALERS WILL HAVE ALOT OF CARS ON THERE LOTS SOON.RRECESSIONNNNNN TIME IS COMMING.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Offers the most car-like ride of all the mini-utes in the test."

Check out the link in the Additional Resources box in the left sidebar.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

until further improvements/ enhansments i would steer clear of the 01/02 ford escape. i know 2 friends who have the 01 escape. one friend has motor cut off and the other friend had problems with electrical and minor problems. both are disappointed.i think ford will work out these problems and have a winner on there hands.the motor cut off is enought for me to keep my family clear of this suv. time will tell.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I just post the links, I don't write the reviews (my skin isn't thick enough for that job). New models are risky sometimes until the bugs get reported and fixed.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm seeing deals in Southern California, the rest of the country should follow.
    http://disc.server.com/Indices/171018.html

Check out the pix shown in the forum in a posting by Kelly Smith (the guy who runs the site) 10/19/01 with the topic Tokyo Auto Show.

Very interesting stuff.

Especially check out the Voltz (6th pic); it looks like the RAV.

RAV on.

• chas215chas215 Member Posts: 22
    I have 2001 RAV4. Very happy with it after 3000 miles except for moonroof rattle/squeak when driving over bumps. Has anyone had similar problem with 2001 moonroof? Dealer has not been able to locate source of rattle yet. Thanks.
    chas215: Yes, I've read that others have this problem too. Not sure if they've come up with a fix yet.
  • macadam1macadam1 Member Posts: 22
    Considering one for the wife and would like to know what others paid and any problems with the vehicle. Interested in 4WD auto, Quick order, ABS, Anti-theft, Keyless entry, Muds, Tonneau and the no choice Roof Rack. I drive a '99 CR-V 5spd so I am familiar with this type of SUV and assume Toyota is as reliable. Red & blue seem to be nearly impossible to locate, was anyone interested in those colors and were you able to find them? I am near the Trenton N.J. area.