Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• kc83kc83 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 RAV-4 with 97k miles and a new 2002 CRV with 3K miles. The RAV has been totally abused and looks like h*** but runs great. I replaced the brakes at 70k miles, but no other repairs.

The CRV has already been to the dealers, having the transmission fixed, squeaks & rattles checked out, horn fixed, seatbelt fixed, etc, etc.

I kept the RAV when I bought the CRV because the Honda dealer didn't want it as a trade-in, but I'm glad I did since I've been driving it while the CRV's being repaired. IMHO, there's no comparison in terms of toughness and quality. The CRV does have more power, more room, and a better suspension system though.
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    Here is the response from Toyota "National Customer Relations" to my plea for help in finding a RAV4 with ABS. Interestingly, this response contradicts the fact that Toyota has taken special orders for RAVs in the past. With this kind of "assistance," no wonder CRVs are outselling RAVs two to one.

"We are sorry that you are having difficulty locating the vehicle of your choice. Our vehicles are equipped with options that we have found to be popular in the geographic area in which they are marketed. Because of this, some options may not be available in your area, while other options may be, but as part of a package. We conduct extensive market surveys and studies to assist in forecasting product features and equipment that will be desirable to the consumer.

Our factory takes this market information into consideration when scheduling vehicle production. However, we are not equipped to take special orders from dealerships or customers for individual vehicles. Our network of dealerships and distributors is designed to take your request and make every attempt to locate the desired vehicle.

Please visit the Build Your Own section of our website so that we can provide you with the most accurate information on what vehicles are available in your area."
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    The GM of my local dealership, who's a friend of mine has told me that special orders are not a problem at all, other than the long lead time for vehicles imported from Japan.

In general, Toyota wants to discourage special orders for several reasons, that's why the official line is that they don't take special orders.

IMHO, Toyota's extensive market surveys and studies (as they claim) to determine options is a solution looking for a problem to solve. This solution creates problems, instead of making it simple to buy a Toyota. Toyota needs adopt the Honda pricing model, or offer a true build to order system.
  • sriley6544sriley6544 Member Posts: 12
    I could not get my dealer to locate a RAV4 with
    ABS (they checked over 350 dealerships). Instead of pursuing the special order (which I don't think I could have gotten), I went ahead and got a CRV (EX w/ 5 speed manual transmission).

I know Toyota has a good product, but they sure would be easier to do business with if they could become a little more flexible in their marketing.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Apparently Toyota sees ABS as an item mostly desired in areas that get winter weather, and are distributing ABS-equipped vehicles accordingly. That's a shame.
  • rudy2000rudy2000 Member Posts: 32
    Yes, "suvshopper4" you're right. I "ordered" my Rav from CarOrder.com (now out of business) and positively could not get ABS. Also, the Rav being light weight, really won't benefit from ABS. I've had to stop quite fast, and the brakes still didn't lock on me. So, even though one can't find Rav's with ABS, it's no big deal. Rudy
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    and as it turns out, I do have something to say. My wife and I cross-shopped Forester, CRV, and RAV. One of the "faults" of RAV was the optioning system Toyota uses. It is just too arcane and inclusive -- we would have to take too many things we did not want to get a few things we wanted. Honda was the opposite -- Get the LX and get this, get the EX and get this - period, end of story. Again, though, we'd have to take things we did not want to get things we did. But Honda was closer to what we wanted. But Subaru was perfect -- perhaps only for us about our unique take on the situation. We wanted ABS -- had to have it, AWD, and air conditioning. All standard on the entry-level Forester. No brainer. Plus, Forester was about as favorably received by CR as the RAV -- and later, Forester had the highest reliabilty rating of the three (CRV, RAV, FORESTER).

IF Toyota had had a different optioning scheme -- it might have been a different story.
    No doubt about it, the Forester offers a lot for the money.
    For me, not choosing one was a matter of family-car stigma (from my youth), and styling/proportions (eye of the beholder, and all that).

I agree, Toyota's optioning scheme is far from ideal for the buyer, but it greatly benefits the company. And their sales are strong across all their model lines, so I don't expect them to change things any time soon.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2002 Toyota RAV4

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • ckirk3ckirk3 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know of the changes Toyota is considering for the RAV in 2003? For example, side-airbags or an RIB (Rear Intrusion Bar)?
  • caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    Need anyone's thoughts/opinion/help regarding the Limited Slip Differential offered as an option in the 2002 RAV4. I want to get that on the car, but the dealer says it isn't necessary and can't find one anyway, anywhere.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of it?

I live 8,000 feet up and work 9,000 feet up in mountains and believe the limited slip would be beneficial to the ~385 avg. inches of snow we get.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
    I've heard that the Limited Slip Differential is a real nice item. Sounds like it could be useful with all the snowfall you get. (The ~385 inches is not a typo, right?)

But you may have to special order from the factory, or get in touch with a dealer in a city in snow country, to get LSD.

It is not surprising to me that you can't find one in CA (I'm assuming, based on your profile). Lots of people in warm climate areas report that they can't find ABS-equipped RAVs.
    Nope, 385 inches of snow is not a typo.

I have seen some of the messages on special ordering and will continue to consider that.

The dealer I am working with, Perry Motors in Bishop, is 45 miles away and very small. The dealer guy couldn't find any LSDs anywhere and doesn't think will be able to find any. He is familiar with the area and doesn't believe I need one. I still want it though!

I will say I have had no trouble finding ABS here in CA. While I am not in socal, I have done research down there and had no trouble finding them with ABS. Good luck to those who are looking.

Still looking for as much input as I can get regarding the RAV4s Limited Slip Differential option.
    Have you tried Diane at Carson (CA) Toyota?
    She has helped a lot of RAV shoppers. She had (has?) listed all the available units with options, etc., on a website (probably the dealer's).

Latest thing I recently heard on special ordering, "ordered in March, arrived in May."

Good luck.

-ss4
  • yausayausa Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know where to buy an original parts and accessories for RAV4.
  • fray2fray2 Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas as to why the mini-SUV manufacturers do not offer quad seating as an option? We already own one SUV, the Infiniti QX4, and are in the market for a 2nd SUV, but not as large as the QX4. We have no children, so we don't have a need for third row seating. But, in test driving the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Hyundai Santa Fe, the rear seat is quite cramped with three average sized people. So, why not go with captain's chairs and make the ride more comfortable for those in the rear. I have test driven the Buick Rendezvous, and it offers quad-seating, but is larger than I want? Any ideas??
  • nancy13nancy13 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 RAV I purchased a couple months ago and the sunroof is leaking along the back edge. The water isn't pouring in but if I run my hand along the back edge I'll have drops on my fingers. I checked the tilt and slide button several times. I don't like the way the open/close (tilt/slide) button works...there seems to such a fine line between the two functions (atleast to me) it's hard to tell if the roof is fully closed. If I look at the exterior, the front edge of the sunroof is up above the edge of the roof just a bit, but the back edge of the roof is just even with or slightly below the roof line.

Anyone have a similar experience...any suggestions would be welcome. I haven't taken it into the dealership yet.
    Thanks!!
    I've heard good things about buying parts on-line from Romania Toyota. Never done it myself, though.
    I think they may have formerly gone by the name of toyotaguys.com.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    is great. I ordered some maintenance items (oil/air filter, etc.) through them for my 2000 RAV4. Plus shipping is free with, I think, minimum $25 in purchases. You can also track whatever you purchase via UPS. It's worth it, better than spending big bucks at the local Toyota dealer!

BTW, they can still be accessed through "toyotaguys.com".
  • wantadiscoiiwantadiscoii Member Posts: 7
    I'm writing here on behalf of a friend of mine who has a 1998 Rav4L. Her right rear passenger door stopped working. The door is closed and cannot be opened at all, from the inside or outside. Both handles feel like they are not connected to anything.

It's probably something really small that has either broken or has become disconnected with a hard door slam (she lent the car to another friend when this happened). I'm confident that we can find the problem if I can get the door open and get the inside door panels off. The real question is, how do I get the door open when both handles are non-functional?

Does anyone here have any experience like this, or any suggestions for getting the door open? I'd really appreciate some help/advice. Thanks.
  • rudy2000rudy2000 Member Posts: 32
    Does the 2.0 Liter have a rev limiter? Rudy
    Some time ago, I posted a message about my difficulty in locating a RAV4 in Southern California with ABS. The trick, I discovered, is to go to the toyota.com web site and click the "Build Your Own" link. By entering a zip code and selecting 4wd or 2wd and auto or stick, you will be presented with a list of the option packages availble in that zip code for those selections. For example, I wanted a 2wd stick with ABS. When I tried various zip codes throughout California, I came up empty. However, when I switched to 4wd stick, there were several option packages listed with ABS in Southern California (both QO and L). Then, by going to the "get a dealer quote" part of the site, I was able to find a few of these vehicles on dealers' lots. (A quicker, but less satisfying, way to find a certain option package is to go to CarsDirect.com, specify the desired package, and let them use their computer to locate the car.)

By the way, the price in So Cal for a RAV4 is really low. There is currently a $500 "instant rebate" if you take delivery by June 30 and, including this rebate, some dealers are selling RAVs as much as $600 under invoice.
  • pinoyneybipinoyneybi Member Posts: 1
    I accidentally put diesel on it. What should I do?
    Do I have to get a new engine?
    There is a great rebate available right now for the RAV4 through July 8 (date according to Longo Toyota).

I ordered one through CarsDirect.com and got $900 below invoice = the $500 rebate and $400 recent college grad rebate/financing.

I didn't get my Limited Slip Differential like I want(doesn't seem to be at all available in CA), but couldn't pass up this deal.

Look forward to owning my RAV4 and joining the 'club'.

Casey

Any word on 2003 differences/changes? Are there any?
    You might get some good answers if you post over on the "Maintenance and Repairs" board here in Town Hall.

I don't see that topic listed there, so you might have to start your own. Try giving it a catchy title like, "Diesel Instead of Gas by Mistake -Help!"

Good luck.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I do see a Diesel in Gas engine discussion in the archives that may give you some help too.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Yeah, thats me. I guess I should add some stuff. Took it to ford. The guy at the front desk said they'd have to do a whole bunch of things and would probably cost $500 or more dollars. So we left it there. About a week later we picked it up, bill was in the 100s, around 150 I think. The mechanic that worked on it said they ran a diagonistic, nothing was wrong, then topped the tank off with gas, had about 1-2 gal diesel in a 20gal tank. That was it. I was kind of suprised they did so little, but trusted them, they're professionals right? Fuel filter was not replaced.

The truck was never the same after that. It would smoke after every start. We took it to the dealer we bought it from. They tried to fix it. First time I went there they did something and said it was fixed. But it wasn't. Went back again. same thing, said it was fixed, but no. Third time same thing. Fourth time Ford decided to give us a new engine. Smoking after starting stopped for a couple days but then started again. We decided to change the fuel filter. That solved the smoking after starting problem for a couple days and then started again. Been doing it ever since.

If I were you I would definitely replace the filter and fuel lines. I would also have them clean the tank, check the pump-replace if necessary, and check the engine-replace parts if necessary. I sure wish I would have done it this way. Good Luck.

wantadiscoii, is the lock working? Maybe its broken, stuck on lock.
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. My wife and I are thinking about buying a RAV4 2wd with the L package automatic. We took one for a test drive and liked it very much. Our question is has anyone used this vehicle for a drive of about 2/3 hours on the interstate, was it comfortable enough?. Does it have enough power to keep up with the traffic, or would it be wiser to check out the Highlander with a V6. For doing errands around town, the RAV4 seems like a very good choice after reading some of the postings. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanking in advance

Sincerely,
    Paul
    I've taken a number of 4-hour trips in my '01 RAV (and soon I'll be taking a 10-hour drive in it).
    I have a problem back; still, I've not had a problem with the RAV's comfort, or anything else. It cruises well and handles very well. It gets off the line fine (especially after the engine is broken in), but does not have the quicker middle-speed acceleration of a 6-cylinder, which you might want. It's no dog on the highway, though. I have learned what to expect and how to drive it, and can get a lot out of that 2.0L engine. I probably value efficiency over power more than most drivers, though.
    Good luck.
  • frankomafrankoma Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to buy my roommates '98 RAV AWD and it needs new tires. It has the stock 16" steel wheels and P215/70R16 tires. I need advice on whether I should stick with that size or move up to a bigger 16" or even 17" tire and alloy wheel combo. Any advantage (or disadvantage) in the larger tires?
    I'd appreciate any tire recommendations as well (must be good for all-weather conditions, including snow)...
    Thanks.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    This car has enough room to be in for long interstate drives, but is noisy above 60 mph, enough so that it can get tiring after a few hours. Also, the ride is a little bouncy, if the road is jointed. Apart from that, the power is fine, if not overwhelming.

I have not driven the highlander, but seeing as it has the V-6 and is a heavier vehicle, I bet it has the ride and power issues licked. I wonder if it is quieter...the main noise issue in the RAV is wind, and some tire noise.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Comfortable seats for long (11 hours in one day for us) trips. I agree with suvshopper4. The noise above 60 is fine. I have heard many complaints about the Escape being very loud (louder than the Rav) at highway speed, but people still like them. Just try a test drive. I find the ride quality as good as you can expect from an SUV. For us, based on price, size, and quality/reliability, we love it.
    Of course, how much noise a RAV4 produces at highway speeds depends on who's doing the listening -- one man's ceiling is another man's floor. However, there are a few non-subjective aspects to it. According to the specs, the 4wd uses a higher rear axle ratio, and consequently turns more revs at 60 mph (about 10% more) than the 2wd version. Also, top gears in the auto and manual trans might be different, adding to the difference. Moreover, there are at least two different types of tires available, and the additon of fender flares, roof rack, and/or spoiler might make a difference (especailly the roof rack, although I've never seen a RAV without one).

As for ride, again 2wd vs. 4wd and tires could (I don't know if they do) make a big difference. In particular, if you've purchased 17" wheels, the ride should be rougher because there's less flexing in the tire sidewall.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Seriously looking at the RAV4 now that Toyota's offering 1.9APR to qualified buyers.
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    2002 Toyota RAV4 - automatic, 4 cyl, power steering/brakes/windows/locks, cruise, AM/FM/CD, rear def, int wipers

MSRP $21,544
    Paid $16,595 before reg and taxes
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You wouldn't just be trolling these boards and having fun at our expense, would you?
    Don't think he is.

Just bought a 2002 RAV4 AWD, automatic, ABS, Cassette/CD, power package. Had it up to here haggling for the CR-V with Honda dealer.

MSRP was $24K and change.
    Paid an even 21K before taxes and registration.
    3.9 APR for 5 years.

Obviously I didn't do as well as Peter.
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    Hey, Yo Mama, you did pretty well yourself. I am puzzled why so many Toyota ( and not only) buyers are so gullible as to think that Toyota prices don't allow for much more of a discount. Maybe there is an opportunity in teaching price negotiations, doubtful I could make much doing that though. Average person simply doesn't have the patience or self-discipline
    I think they have valid reasons. I never would've considered the RAV4 because all the reports I've read said that it gets expensive when you add in the really desirable options (and I mean things like ABS and keyless entry), and that was what kept me at bay all this time.
    It didn't even have a cargo cover as standard equipment in a car with an MSRP of roughly 24K.

But anyway, thanks to the competition, this is the first time that Toyota has offered such low financing, and that's what attracted me.

I have 2 questions: there's a thin, pull down tray near the reading lamps. I thought it was a sunglass holder, but it's way too thin for that. Any idea?

Also, the alloy rim on my spare doesn't match the alloy on the other 4 tires. They look similar, but upon close inspection, they're not. The dealer said that's how they come...that smells kinda funny to me.
    diploid: Glad to hear you've seen the light. Good luck with your new RAV. Enjoy.
    I think one of the answers you seek is: garage door remote holder. Then again, you might check the manual.

raybear: I agree. $5k off a $21.5k sticker???

other: Just took my vacation trip, 10-hour drive each way. Only noise I notice, with the audio off and the windows up, is my worn (28k miles) Bridgestone Duelers tires. Virtually no engine noise when cruising (69mph / 3k rpm). Also, I found the RAV comfortable over that time period (with a couple short breaks for fuel, both vehicle and human).

Over 4 tankfuls, I got a range of 27.2 to 30.9 mpUSg ('01, auto trans, AWD, 2 people onboard, air cond on about 20% of the time).

RAV on.
  • wallywyowallywyo Member Posts: 3
    Recently I have been getting a cloud of smoke from the exhaust when I start up my 96 RAV4. Oil seems to be OK so as I am not a mechanic by nature looking for some suggestions. Has anyone else had this problem?

Paul
    suvshopper- Yup, was suffering from the new car experience. Didn't even bother reading the manual. Perhaps that's why I was having so much trouble turning on/off the windshield wipers.
    Sounds like it might be worn valve guide seals. I seem to remember some owners having this issue with that vintage ('96) RAV4. You might want to double-check my memory by going to rav4world.com and seeing if you can find references to the problem using the search feature there. Look under the Generation 1 message board.
    Good luck.
  • pdown77pdown77 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone out there had any trouble going up and down mountains in their Rav4's. I am a traveler, and I travel alot in the Rockey's. Need help in my decision.
  • lanz1lanz1 Member Posts: 1
    WE HAVE A 2001 RAV4. IT ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN AND RESULTED IN US CRASHING INTO A BUILDING WITHOUT THE AIRBAGS EVEN OPENING UP. TWO DAYS PRIOR TO THIS IT ACCELERATED AGAIN BUT WE WERE LUCKY NOTHING THAT TIME WAS HIT. WE HAVE STARTED TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. WE WONDER WHO ELSE IS OUT THERE AND WHAT ABOUT A RECALL.
    pdown- I just bought a 4wd RAV4. Moderately inclined roads are ok, but steep ones really tax the car. I don't know if that's a result of the car being brand new and thus the engine isn't broken in yet.

Other than that, it's a really fun little car. And you can get incredible deals on them right now. I really suggest just hacking off $4,000 from whatever price they're asking for the RAV4 you want. It sounds insane, but it worked for me. After negotiations, you'll probably pay $3,000 less than what they want for the car.

Also print out any online rebates/customer rewards programs from Toyota. I brought in the $350 customer cash reward that I printed from Edmunds (every little bit helps), along with the ones from cars.com and autobytel.com. The dealer coyly tried to say that he had never heard of these rebates. Neither one of us would back down (I had already secured a roughly $3,400 discount on my RAV4), so instead of giving me the $350, he threw in an alarm system. Although I really should've opted for a hard spare cover instead...
    Hmmm. So, if you didn't get the hard spare cover with your new RAV4, I guess you got a non-L model, probably the QO package.

The AWD should come in real handy down there in Antarctica...

Sounds like you got a great price. $3,400 discount?! Zounds. I'm surprised there is that much pricing room to move on a model that is not due for an update soon.

I think you'll find that the engine is pretty tight when new, but will loosen up noticeably. However, being a flatlander, I don't know how it will do on serious hills even after break-in. I am curious about that.

RAV on.
    suvshopper- basically. The car pretty much has everything that I wanted. I can live without the sunroof, the leather, and the hard spare cover.
  • mcpaganomcpagano Member Posts: 6
    My daughter has a 2001 Rav4 L with the hard spare cover. However, she had a minor accident and the spare cover broke. It is $400 to replace it and we don't want to spend that much.

We looked at Toyotaguys.com and they show $100 tire covers (with a hard plastic cover but soft sides) but they say it is not for the Rav4 L. I don't understand why it wouldn't fit on the L model. Maybe because the tire is larger? Does anyone know of any other alternatives to a $400 replacement.
    Did they say it wouldn't ~fit~ the RAV4?
    Is it possible that they mean it is not the identical replacement for the L model?

I got no spare cover on mine when I bought it.
    I like the bare look okay, but I may get a plain soft vinyl one at my local parts store.