Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I got into the first of that conversation about Sienna & MPV. Although I have both vans I felt the MPV needed a little boost there since that "Ford" question arose from the ashes again. I never realized (even tho I agree) how shy people are about the Furd :)) engines. I wasn't going to get into a massive discussion about that particular engine but others did and defended it.
    Did the same thing with my laptop on a 3 hour trip with the kids watching "Return of the Mummy".
    The only problem was me constantly asking "Ok, what's happening now, huh"? and my daughter out of frustration asking "Do you want this on the dash or what, dad"?
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Bob...'Return of the Mummy,' or 'Mummy Returns?' Wow, 'Mummy Returns' would have my kids sleepless for a couple of months, let alone the d.w! ;-)

Yeah, we MPV owners are wild and crazy, no doubt about it. Marcb... you making fun of my orange (blond really) spikes and 'Tee? And... what's a 'nubby van' or do I really not want to know?

Tboner, good to see your shining e-face here. Glad you had fun w/the kids, oh and on the trip to the park. If you're like me, you don't mind 'the look' when you're "testing manuverability" in the van. I still say, 'race the van, we love the van' Tboner.

Rich has an absolutely great point about Beevus and No-Chin Cleetus at Best Buy. Be mindful of your warranty folks.

/j
  • m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    javadoc, My wife walked out the first the very first time the family (us and 2 munchkins) went anywhere in the van and remarked, "You know, this is a nubby little van!" I was crushed, but chuckle now.

My $0.02... and that's all!
    Tommy
    Nubby - adjective of Nub - knob, small protuberance.
    I don't know, Tommy, I would question her again on that :))

You don't have that new sparkling MPV in all that refinery area in Pasadena do you? (I just watch it from a seven story balcony at work)
  • m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    Well, growing up and attending British boarding schools overseas, her English isn't always the greatest. I'm not too concerned... just amused.

And, nope, we live just a couple miles South of Pasadena. I don't think white "sparkles", but sort of glows. Me, I drive a nice '89 Toyota pickup... black with a bit of fresh white "overspray mist" from my refinery in Texas City.
    Tommy
  • mls64mls64 Member Posts: 9
    Was wondering if any of the suspension upgrades from the 2002 model can be fitted to the 2000 model? Changes are: changed angle of front struts, stiffer rear shocks, stiffer bushings throughout, and maybe stiffer rear anti-roll bar. Sure would be nice to incorporate some of these on my 2000 ES. And those 17" wheels sure would help (but would the speedo need to be recalibrated?).

Mike
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    You guys only got 'the look'? What about your full name (first, middle, and last with no nicknames) delivered with 'the tone' in addition to 'the look'? Yeah, telling d.w. that she just got treated to something that people pay good money for at Great America gets me nowhere either--nowhere besides the doghouse that is! ;) danandkat
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    But then I put together what Great America was and the lights went on.

I just can't get wifey to AutoX.

Funny, because they have a go kart track at our local "Suck 6 million dollars out of your wallet" Flags park, and she said. Ohhh, I love driving, let's do that. I looked up, and it was $6/person for whatever time they give.

I asked her why she doesn't come AutoX with me?

I got another "look"

TB
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    TB,

I take it that wasn't the "Look" you desired was it!

Al Bundy and Peg come to mind with the theme song "Love and Marriage" playing in the background.

OOoppss MPV Content required: 53k miles still rolling strong. Thinking its time to do the brake pads soon, any suggestions?
  • julieintennjulieintenn Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 LX has 1500 miles and we'll be taking an 8 hr. trip soon. I love the van except for the wind noise. Yes, I have the factory installed roof rack but don't know if that's why I hear the noise. Went to Sears to check into cartop carriers for the trip and I was informed that none of theirs fit a Mazda van! Where can I get one that will? Any opinions on those softside carriers seen at Wal-Mart for around $60?
    After debating VHS/DVD we just bought a 9"
    TV/VHS for $170 for the trip. We plan to remove one of the 2nd row seats and anchor it to the seat floor anchors - hopefully it will work.
    Scary thought of it becoming airborne.
    Has anyone had problems with blown fuse using the cig. lighter/power converter to TV setup? I saw a post regarding this (not on Edmunds) some time ago. They could not even shift the van out of park due to this. I'm a little hesitant to use this TV if this is a common problem.
    Any advice on the cartop carriers, anchoring the TV, and the blown fuse would be appreciated. I enjoy this friendly MPV forum.
    I'll share my bad news now:
    Unfortunately the windshield has to be replaced on my 2 mo. NEW van due to a small crack (source unknown - probably flying pebble) which has become a huge crack now.
    Guess it's better than an dent in the side! Happy driving!
    tboner--Yah, Great America is part of the Six Flags 'empire'. I like your description--suck $6 million out of your wallet. Reminds me of my f.i.l's description of a common surgical procedure, the 'wallet biopsy'. But I won't stray too far OT here.

Julieintenn--Factory installed racks have been debated as cause of windnoise. You might try removing the crossbars, or moving them all the way to the back when not in use as a way to reduce or eliminate the noise. Sears one size fits all carriers won't go on an MPV??? I find that hard to believe. I'd get a second opinion (watch it Dan--no Groucho-esque jokes here!) from someone else at Sears. Regarding the softside carriers. I have never used one but have seen them on top of many vehicles. Consumer Reports in their July 2001 issue (page 52-54) checked a couple of them (along with a number of hard top carriers. I'll summarize--"...provide about 15 cubic feet of space and can be folded and stored in trunk. But unless you carry roof cargo infrequently or have little storage space, you'll find a cargo box easier to use. Bags provide less weather protection, and drag down MPG more. Installation is a hassle with lots of mounting strap adjustment." Regarding the cig lighter and blown fuses. I believe someone on the 'other' forum described rewiring things so that blowing the cig lighter fuse wouldn't shut down the car. Or even easier, there should also be a power source in the back of the van that is (IIRC) on a separate circuit. Could you use that power source (and blow fuses till your heart's content!!) to power your TV? Hey--enjoy your trip!! danandkat
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    julieintenn: I just used a softside roof carrier for camping. Got it at walmart for $40. Overall grade is fair. The straps take a while to get right there are eight of them,then if you don't secure them right,they will be flapping all the way. It is not waterproof,keep this in mind,kind of like a heavy windbreaker material. I used it for 3 folding chairs and 3 sleeping bags wrapped in plastic. I didn't check mileage,but most likely due to its square shape,will give you less than the more aerodynamic ones. If you will use it more than a few time,may be worthwhile to get a hardtop carrier.
  • mympvmympv Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    I'm a mom of 3 with a 2001 mpv. I love it, but I've been adding a few extras that didn't come with it. The dealer I purchased it from is frustrating me to no end. I called 4 dealers getting quotes on having a roof rack installed. I had 4 prices ranging from 265-665! It's the same roof rack, and all prices include the rack and labor! Why in the world would there be such a difference? I'm a little untrustworthy, based on an experience I had with a '91 protege. My dealer claimed I needed new brakes or it would be unsafe for me to leave. He said I had 5% left on the pads (25,000 miles). I had 2 babies with me, and I think they thought they had me stuck. I drove down the road (with huge protests from the mazda dealer) and had it looked at by a midas. They said they were fine! When I called the mazda dealer to complain, they told me I must have misunderstood! Right........Any opinions on the roof rack?
    Btw-this is my 3rd mazda, and I think this is the car company few people know about. Oh, and my husband gets the company car, the mpv is mine! lol
    I'm just curious--what is the name of the dealership that gave you the 'brakes are shot' story? danandkat
    This was in 1992, and the dealer has since gone out of business. It was in Milwaukee, WI, on hwy 100, but it's been long enough that I don't remember the name of the dealer. I have really enjoyed all my mazda's, but I feel it pays to be educated about service details.
    really help a car knowledge challenged person like me! lol I know a lot more now then I did 10 years ago, thanks to all the people that post on these sites.
    My experience w/Midas has always been that they will tell you anything that's wrong w/your car... to the infinite detail. So if they didn't say the brakes were gone, they weren't even close to gone, imho.

For the roofrack, and if you want the factory one, I'd go to the dealership that quoted you $265. The parts list at about that anyway. You could check aftermarket racks (Thule and Yakima come to mind, in the $200-300 price-range) that would have higher load ratings than the factory rack, and aren't permanent. You guys to install those yourselves and forego the labor prices too.

/java
    Yes, midas told me the brakes were 50%.
    I scheduled the $265 roof rack. I'm not comfortable doing it myself, and my husband knows all about home building, little about vehicles.
    Thanks!
    I misinterpreted your post. I thought the alleged brake problem was on the MPV. We bought our MPV from Hall on Blue Mound in Brookfield. Maybe there is justice in the world after all--the dealer who tried to stick it to you ultimately went out of business :<) Anyhow, I am glad to see that Hall did not try pulling a fast one like that. Or were they the $665 roof rack quote?

I suspect that the big price discrepancy with dealer installed roof racks comes either from 1) someone not knowing what he/she is doing working up a quote or 2) quoting an exhorbitant price is polite way of telling you that they really don't prefer to install roof racks--but they will if you are willing to pay an arm and leg or 3) some dealers are more profit hungry than others. Though if it is just plain old price gouging and P.T. Barnum is correct they will probably get their share of business from folks who don't get competitive quotes. And perhaps end up going the way of the Hwy 100 dealer after they have enough dis-satisfied customers. ;<)

I have a Yakima rack that I put on our MPV when we need it. It is not hard to put on or take off, though Yakima is very specific about where to place the components--i.e. part A needs to be exactly 13 inches from part B...that sort of thing. You cannot adjust the crossbar distance like you will be able to with a permanently installed rack. I agree with Java--go with the dealer who offers the best quote. danandkat
    I hate to say this, but I bought my mpv in December, 2001, from Hall also. They were the ones with the $665 quote. When we bought the van, the sales manager told us they had problems with their service and parts department, but he was new and was trying to change things. They actually initially gave me a price for the roof rack of $20 more than anywhere, until I mentioned that I'd seen it lower. Then they said, oh sorry, we looked at the wrong thing, and brought the price to the same as the rest of the dealers. I also called Amato, and Russ Darrow. I'm getting it from Don Miller in Madison. I live between Madison and Milwaukee, it's a haul either way, but we love our Mazdas! Hall quoted me high prices for the mud flaps and rear step guard also. I've been there twice for work, once to install the flaps, and guard, and last week for an oil change and lube the side door. The appointment last week took 7 (!) hours! The only good thing, was they didn't charge me. I've had it, I'm off to Madison.......I complained to the manager at Hall today, he said 'sorry' and said he would discuss my concerns with staff......
    When I asked the service people at Hall why their price was so high, they said they had to take the headliner (?) off, and it was time consuming. What is a headliner? There were other more minor things, so it's all added up to me not trusting them. It's enough to make me feel I have to buy a Venture next time! lol Ok, maybe I can send a child or two off to college and get a miata!
    Our purchase experience with Hall was favorable--almost painless if you know what I mean. The salesperson was the sort of guy who did not rub us the wrong way as most do. Fortunately we have had no major issues with the van, but the couple times I did contact the service dept. about something I have been less than impressed. I have also heard one or two things second hand about Hall's service that just give me pause about going there. But they are the most convenient to me (I'm in Sussex). I did take the van to Amato for headlight aiming. A couple of weeks after we picked up the van we were going on vacation involving some night driving on country roads and the headlights were way off in their aim IMO (Hall's story was that was how they were supposed to be aimed) which we fortunately found out about before leaving. Since I did not care to be driving in the dark with the ditches illuminated but no light on the road, I wanted it taken care of. Hall couldn't fit me in for a week and a half because the only qualified tech (a Mazda dealer with just one person qualified to work on Mazdas?) was going on vacation and he was booked solid prior to his leaving. Amato took me the next morning with no problem. BTW, there is a Mazda dealer on Hwy 26 on the north side of Janesville. Depending on where you are between Milw & Mad, they might be an option for you. I don't know anything about how good they are (or aren't), I just know that they are there. danandkat
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    There has been a slight engineering hold on the DVD/Entertainment unit...But good news is the hold is off and MPV's with the DVD should start shipping by the end of the week.

The unit is made by audiovox.

Rich
    Thanks for the info on the Janesville dealer. I'll look into it, they might be closer to me. The dealer in Madtown is on the west side, so it's a stretch for me. Good luck with Hall, I hope all works well for you there.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    This may have been asked before, but is the new DVD system retro-able into an '00-'01 MPV? Thanks for the update!
    We have been told the DVD unit will be available as a dealer installed option....so I think it's safe to assume it can be installed in the 00-01 MPV....I expect the retail price as a dealer installed feature will be quite a bit higher than "port installed" on a new MPV.

I will have further details to pass along once they start arriving.

BTW:....for all you MPV believers out there. The MPV is doing very well!!! Our sales are strong and we are taking more sales away from the Oddy than we are losing. Our local Honda dealer is becoming very frustrated with the MPV..hahahaha.

Rich
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Someone asked about the roof carriers from Sears - we have one and it fits just fine on our MPV! Now we bought ours probably 6 years ago but they don't look much different to me. We also have the factory roofrack on our 2000 MPV and to tell you the truth I don't really notice wind noise. Could be just a difference of opinion or how noisy the kids are! Anyway, we originally bought the carrier for a Mercury Mountaineer and it works with the same basic bolts on our MPV.
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    I purchased in Green Bay, no one else had what we wanted and we needed it that day practically. I have had all subsequent service done at Don Miller in Madison and have been happy. They have always done everything without question and prices seem reasonable enough, we get lots of service coupons also.

Jane
  • gakweegakwee Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    Our 1st mini van. Says alot, because we have been pretty much anti mini-van all these years. Picked up a Silver 2002 LX, security, rear a/c and roof rack and we are loving it.

I would like to haul our mtn. bikes on the roof for some trips. I already have Yakima bike holders (the LockJaw) and would like to attached them directly to the factory rack. I couldn't find the corrct adapter on Yakima.com. Does any one know if there is any Yakima adapter that will go on the MPV rack ?

Thanks.
    Well, since everything I've seen points says that the racks aren't changed between 2001 and 2002, Yakima says (for a 2001) you're going to need a LowRider kit to attach your LockJaws to it... due to the incompatible shape of the MPV rack's cross-members. The LowRider costs $115, and then you're going to need 48" cross-bars that cost $42. I'd check ebay for these items to get them on the cheap, such as THIS auction that ends on June 9th.

Now, if you already have bars, then you're that far ahead of the game. If you have Q-Towers, then I don't see why you can't just buy the Q-Clips for the 2000/2001 MPV and use those. Don't quote me on that, I just don't see how the clips wouldn't work on the new van... how much of the door opening could they have changed?

Hope this helps,

/javadoc

Almost got to experience the air bags, seat belt and crumple areas on the '01 last night. An 18 wheeler (most vehicles on freeways in Houston) decided to cut me off at 60mph. I was cushioned between him and a mini-pickup. Slamming on the brakes trying to avoid everything on each side of me I watched his left trailer rear pass OVER my right front fender.
    Now that's exciting to watch - while you total body puckers up.
    BTW - I have no ABS but the MPV stopped very straight. It & I drank a martini in the garage last night to settle things down....
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    on your close call[aren't those two of the sweetest words you can think of? Especially when you think of the alternative!] Glad to hear the van performed up to expectations-- you never doubted it would, did you?
    I'll tell you, I'm so shaken up by your close call that I think I better go and mix me an extra large perfect Manhatten to calm myself down--thanks for the excuse.

;]

RJ
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Seriously, glad you are Ok Bob57.
  • mtnbkrmtnbkr Member Posts: 5
    Gakwee, thanks for raising this question. I'm following these boards closely, as we'll be in the mkt for a mini in the next year or so, and this is one of my hot buttons. We used to haul up to 3 mtn bikes (and 3 sweaty riders) in our '93 Merc Villager in 5-pass. configuration; I had fitted canvas and indoor/outdoor carpet panels to protect the interior. I would like to do this again, and wonder if anybody has tried hauling 2-3 bikes inside the MPV. We sell car rack paraphenalia at the bike shop where I work, and I hope I don't have to deal with it in my own life!
  • nambernamber Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 MPV. so far I love it in all respects except the Air conditioner only gets cool not cold. It has yet to go to the dealer, but I plan to have this explored. Has anyone else had trouble with the A/C on an MPV?
    You should be able to easily carry a couple of mtn. bikes in the rear of the MPV, with the 3rd row folded into the floor. I've put two of mine in there, front wheels removed, and a kiddy trailer too.

/java
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    Make sure you look at the controls for the rear A/C (we have the rear AC & heater, so that is what I am writing about...) The controls are independent of the settings on the dash. So, make sure the temperature is on full cold and the top vents are selected. We had the wrong vents selected and did not realize it until my wife crawled back to check the kids. It gets plenty cold back there now.

I wish they would have put more override controls up front. I am going to test the modes this weekend.

RBB
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Make sure you have the recycle set, not hot air coming from the outside. My Wife forgets to hit recycle when the AC is on and notices it's alot cooler when I change the setting. Also, I lower the sliding door windows for 5 minutes and this seems to help cool down the van quicker. The refrigerant in newer cars doesn't do the job of Freon. My 91 Protege blew ice chunks out the vents.

Pjd58
  • gakweegakwee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the LowRider suggestion. I was really hoping to be able to attached the LockJaw directly onto the MPV factory crossbars. I will call Yakima tomorrow to find out if they plan to have a MightyMount adapter for the MPV crossbars.

I have the MightyMount on my Subaru factory crossbars. It works pretty well and it is a much less expensive option ($30).

I have put 500 miles on the LX and I like very much. However, my dream MPV shall have :

1. Sport Package - Stiffer suspension. Thicker roll bars to reduce body roll and understeer.
    2. AWD.
    3. 6-speed manual or 5-speed Tiptronic shift

I can dream, Can't I ?

Cheers.
  • buscandoautobuscandoauto Member Posts: 3
    We are moving to Anchorage, Alaska and are thinking of getting an MPV, and would like to know how the it performs in snow and ice.
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You wanna take this one, Javadoc?

;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Well... What's bringing you to beautiful Alaska, besides the world-class fishing (lol)?

To answer your question, the MPV handles just fine here, imho. We've had ours for almost three years. Like any snow-belt area, you are smart to buy dedicated snow tires for the winter months, I prefer studded tires, but to each their own. The MPV's abs works really well in the snow, which is due to the EBFD system that basically uses brake bias to modulate the braking when you're trying to woah the van down in the slick stuff.

I always wish for awd, but (don't listen to this part Mazda...) it's not necessary, just a luxury that would be nice to have. Also, with the 2002 van's having available traction control, the van should do even better. I tested out an MPV w/TCS, at the end of winter, and it was a great improvement over our 2000 model's non-TCS drivetrain.

I have a friend with a 2001 Ody, and he curses it in the snow for some reason, something about it being too low-slung and getting stuck in the snow (his other car is a 4x4 F150 tho). My wife loves driving the MPV around in the snow and never has issues w/being stuck, even in the heavy snow days.

The heater and defrost systems work wonderfully, as you'd expect for anything these days, and you always have goodly amounts of heat. Don't buy an MPV w/o the 4Seasons package if you'll live up here, that's my advice.

Email me if you need any help too, and I can always recommend a great grease monkey if you need one. What else is important? Don't eat yellow snow.

/java
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Another Eskimo:)? They are going to need to add another stop light to your one horse town!

Pjd58
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Java, how many people do you have there, you were telling? 20 or so including that teacher and police officer? Now you'll have 22 (or how many of you are moving there, buscandoauto?). That's 10% population increase! Definitely the right time to open another Mazda dealership. :-)
    Oh, come on and admit it - you are recruiting people up there so when your computer is down you have someone to talk to.. :))

Bill & Pierac;
    Thanks! I felt I was driving like a 90 year old lady this morning screaming "Stay away from me...".
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Is there a more ingenious car company in the world than Honda? They just keep hitting home runs with every model they come out with. First the damn Ody which I believe is still,still selling for more than msrp in most locals and requires a wait to get,regardless of what the Wall street Journal says. I thought honda finally started producing more,or are they once again playing games by holding back production? It blows me away to hear stories about Ody owners who purchased new,then sold them 1-2 years later for their original purchase price; much better than the stock market.
    Then came the CRV and everyone wants one; again long waits and selling for sticker. Now the Pilot SUV which you know is going to be in incredible demand,will sell well above sticker and have people lined up to buy. This is incredible marketing; too many times for it to be luck. And with the new Accord at the ready,I have got to buy some stock in this company. Yes, they can be arrogant to deal with,and I still hate to pay more than sticker,or wait for any vehicle; but this is just too much.
  • buscandoautobuscandoauto Member Posts: 3
    We are moving due to my husband job transfer.That makes our decision easier, we were also looking at the Odyssey but they are all backordered down here in Houston, and the dealers are marking them up. Well got tired of the whole thing and Mazda dealer is much more professional, we are thinking of getting an LX with 4 seasons, security package and roof rack, any other suggestions?
    heheh, you guys are relentless . Actually, unofficial numbers are about 30 (300k really) souls here in Anchor-town. Bob, with (counts w/fingers...) seven computers in the house, I don't think I'll ever be 'down,' lol... not including the wireless connection on my pda. Of course, one power outage and I have to resort to human interaction, lol.

buscandauto, You folks planning on driving up from Houston, or shipping your stuff? Driving, although a long trip, is really beautiful thru Canada and Alaska. Am I right Steve?

Rutger, you are right about them seeming to always churn out good vehicles. My opinion of the entire fleet over there at H-co. is that they have no soul, no character... even the S2000. They're instruments. Precision instruments, but no pizzazz. Mazda's lineup has some spirit! Not the most powerful, but imho, definitely much more fun to drive than any car w/an 'H' on the grill.

/j
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd suggest 3 extra rims so you can swap out tires easily twice a year (4 studs, 4 summer tires). I'm assuming the spare is full sized and would take one of the studded tires.

Does the 4 Season package have a heavy duty battery/charging system and block heater Java? Heated seats? (aftermarket conversion sounds easy enough to do).

Are you driving it up, Buscandoauto? If so, a hood deflector might be a good idea, or some of that clear stuff for rock chips. Mud flaps too.

Yeah, great drive up the Alcan - highly recommended.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    its too bad the perfect car company you call Honda cant make a tranny or power doors that work perfectly in the Oddy!!!

Read the real world returns here on Edmunds...you will see some very consistant problems...ones you do not see on the MPV.