Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    So after work today, I stopped off to get my car washed by some teenagers who were raising money for a school. I figured for $5, what the hay. So They finish washing the car in front of me and one of the kids (he was maybe 15) says to me..."Damn, Preludes are my favorite cars! I love these cars! Yo, make sure to take your time washing this one." Yet another stupid smirk was on my face for the entire ride home. Well that and it was a good driving day:)

As far as bangle goes, I'm kinda diggin' his current work. The 745 with those 19" wheels is a car that definitely has some presence. I think it is aggressive looking. I hated it at first. The more I see them on the road (and I see plenty on a daily basis), the more I like it.

The Z4 I've liked from the get go. I was never a fan of the Z3 and the styling of the Z4 appeals to me more. Although I don't think I'd ever own one because for the price of a loaded up 3.0i I could get a nice 330i or Ci via ED (for a little less cash) or save up another couple months for an M3:)

I'm going to reserve judgement on the 5 until I see it in person. The same with the 1 series. From what I've read, the "eyebrow" blinkers are here to stay.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    The tires? They're sitting at the tire shop until I have some time to get them put on. This week is Ford's 100th anniversary celebration here in Detroit and my company is providing some of the logistical and resource support, resulting in long hours, trips between work and Dearborn and (sadly) a delay on the tires until I can get an hour during business hours to swing by and have them switched. Hopefully Wednesday!

I'm with NYC. I always thought the 745 was a pretty nice looking car, inside and out. As he said, with the 19" wheels the car is an expression of stature, wealth and performance--exactly what the 745 is supposed to be. I think that the 7-series will age more gracefully than the current generation equivalent Benz, Audi and Lexus, for what it's worth. Ditto the Z4. The first time I sat in one (out at a show last year in SF) I was horrified by the terrible interior ergonomics (I'm still horrified) but I thought the exterior wasn't too bad. Then I finally saw a silver Z4 on a sunny day on the freeway, with the top down, and that thing made traffic stop. Wow. It's definitely a car that looks better in motion (when you are fixating not on those lines but the overall shape) than it does sitting still or in a photograph.

I'd be all over a M1. Depending on how BMW goes with the 1-series, the non-M models may leave me wondering where the power is. At least, based on the 3-series coupes which I thought were subpar versus the Prelude's puny-by-the-numbers engine, short of the fully decked out 330Ci. My next car will be more expensive than the Prelude, I suspect, and I expect it to offer substantially more. I sort of expect the 1-series to match what I'm already enjoying while coming with a higher price. Hence, the M1.

Now the real BMW action is in that Z5/S2000-fighter concept drawing that was floating around a year ago. C'mon BMW, give us more!

Hot day today and I realized exactly how much of a slug Prelude becomes once the AC is on at full blast.
    The current 325i/Ci w/ a 5-speed manual transmission puts up similar acceleration numbers (low 7s to 60 mph) to the Prelude. BMWs are also known for getting faster with age. Couple that with the perfect weight distribution and Sport Package and you've got a great successor to the Prelude (despite the almost 200 lb increase in curb weight).

BMW does seem committed to keeping weight down though as the E60 (upcoming) 5 series actually weighs 165lbs less than the (current) E39 model. The 1 series should weigh in significantly less than our Prelude. The next 3 series should weigh in about the same (or less) than the (current) E46 or about as much as our Preludes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Very strange, last night I saw 4 5th Gen Preludes (1 Black, 1 Green, & 2 White). I rarely ever see that many in a month.

Today I saw 2 911 Turbos (The new ones...996 I think)

People are taking out the garage queens. I saw a gunmetal NSX a few days ago, and shortly thereafter a bright yellow Viper. Those are two cars I rarely see.

I also saw a red 5th gen, two separate black S2000s on the same trip to work, and perhaps most amazingly, THREE yellow Hummer H2s following each other. (Must have been some sort of event... let me tell you, three yellow Hummers on the highway makes for an interesting sight.)
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Yeah, I just went for a afternoon drive in the nice sunny weather we're getting in Boston (for a change!), and I saw two Audi TT roadsters, two Porsche Boxsters, and a very nice red NSX...
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    I am not sure if it is just me or what. But, each year during the summer time (when the weather get really hot - I live in TX), the Prelude will always consume some oil (1 qt during the oil change in the time period). It never consume any oil at other times. It did not use any oil when I was living in the north 2 years ago.

I kind of notice it last year. I changed the oil first in Apr. and towards the end of June, I checked the oil, it is 3/4 qt low, filled it up. At the time of oil change (around 4k miles), it is about 1/4 - 1/2 qt low again. After that, had 3 oil change with 4k mile interval and had not a drop of oil loss until now, I notice the oil is low by 1/2 (between the 2 dots) again and it happens right at the same time of the year. End of June is not the hottest month, but it is definitely hot here (low 90s). I don't know what is the cause of this and no, I have not change my driving style yet.

Any insight on this?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    As long as the oil level is between the two dots on the dipstick, it's nothing to be concerned about.

It's good to hear you're so aware of your car's oil status: most folks couldn't be bothered. (Yet another difference between those who drive Preludes and those who don't.)
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    That is true. I perform most maint. myself (on both of my prelude and my wifes). So, I check all fluid every other week and change/flush more frequently than the schedule.

If you want to have fun with a car, you got to know how to make it performs the best - at least that is my take.
    My S-03's are shot. There's some tread left and the dry and wet grip has really improved, but they act like waterskis in a downpour.

I've ordered a set of Bridgestone RE750 tires to see what they're like. Apparently, they're a bit more civilized than the S-03, and will wear beter (although I was able to eke 23K out of the S-03, but they became VERY noisy in the last 5K). At $105 a pop, they're certainly cheaper. With a 30-day test drive, I figure I can't go too wrong. After I get 'em installed on Tuesday, I'll let you know what they're like, in case anybody's interested.

If these don't work out, I'll probably snag a set of Dunlop's SP9000.
    What's everybody's take on the JDM Fog Lights? I think they look cool, but do they provide a significant difference as far as lighting goes?

No idea. I don't think they look all that good, personally.

S-03s are in. Oh my goodness. It's a different car! More later...

On an unrelated note, now that we are having the first truly hot days of summer, I'm noticing that if my car is left out in the sun and gets hot, when I start it the defroster light is on. If I turn up the AC for 15 minutes or so, suddenly it clicks itself off. Hmm.

Oh, and lastly - don't know where else to put it so -

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/news_030618_hon/

Honda's "Variable Cylinder Management" - we've seen this from other manufacturers before. The 3L V6 idles half its cylinders during cruising. I'm aware of 12-to-6 and 8-to-4 but never 6-to-3... sounds interesting.
    I'm don't really care for them, either. Then again, they do look a bit better then the NA fogs. Like Sphinx, I haven't a clue about differences in intensity or beam width.
    Well, I think I'm officially voting a CAI out. I do live on an island and many of the roadways are subject to flooding and large puddles.

I've been seeing a bunch of Cooper S' on the road and parked on the street. The most common color seems to be that Sterling Grey w/ a black roof which is nice. I saw a Red w/ Black roof that looks relly sharp and of course a Yellow w/ Black roof which is also cool.

The JDM fogs seem to be a bit on the expensive side. I'm seeing them sell for around the $350 range then I'd have to pay for installation. I think I'll keep my close to $500 thank-you very much:)

Today was gorgeous! I had both windows and sunroof open on the way home which was relatively traffic free. I love this car!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news23/

Good thing there never was a Honda Prelude Terminator Edition.
    Good - the S-03s are a revelation. I've had a chance to experiment a bit and am amazed by the change in character of the car. Generally they sound similar (sharper and yet muffled... hard to describe) but they feel stiffer. The car feels more planted and there is more feedback through the suspension. On cornering, there is one on-camber bank that I've taken often enough to have an idea of when the stock tires start to protest, and the S03s exceeded that mark by a few mph without even the slightest change in sound! And lastly I launched pretty hard at about 3500-4000rpm and there was absolutely no tire screech! OH - and finally - I haven't felt ABS click on once when I apply brakes on bumpy roads! These should be the stock tires! Highly recommended.

Bad - I saw a red S2000 on the road today and just felt my heart sink. sigh. Well, fiscal responsibility first, right? I really miss the HIDs...

Ugly - I went to the grocery store to get some supplies for a weekend picnic. When I came out of the grocery store and back to my car (one of many in a field of parked cars) I saw that someone had dumped a soda all over it. It didn't look too bad because it was nighttime and my car isn't white... but still. Talk about deflating. Fortunately my favorite touchless car was was literally two blocks away so just a few minutes later a high pressure water spray blew off the soda (dr. pepper I think) without the clearcoat incurring so much as a single swirl mark. Whew. I could rant about this for hours. Needless to say, I wish I knew what would drive people to do such [bleep].
    sphinx -- I'm glad you like the S-03's today, but just wait until they're more than half-worn and start making sounds like all four wheel bearings are shot. Ugh.

I probably had another 3,000 miles left on mine, but couldn't take the noise and hydroplaning anymore. I've only put 200 miles on the RE750's, but (so far) they are much more civilized and just as grippy as the S-03, and give up only a bit of steering response on the really tight stuff.

The S-03 is a great tire, no question about it, but it's overkill for most folks, myself included. For dodging orange cones, they might be ideal, but they aren't much good for long-haul commuting/driving.

I consider it a lesson learned.
    How are the RE750s in the rain? Do they hydroplane as much as the stockies or S0-3s? I try to avoid puddles when I can, but sometimes you can't move over, can't brake, you just have to grasp the wheel with both hands and hold on.

Wet grip and resistance to hydroplaning is as good as the S-03's when they were new. I'm hoping that the RE750 will hold on to that ability longer than the S-03's did, since they have a 340 treadwear rating (compared to 220 for the S-03).

If you're thinking of ditching your RE92's and want to take advantage of the Prelude's handling/ride balance, the RE750 might be your best bet.
    I'm going to keep the stockies for a while. They've only got 8100 miles on 'em. My first tire upgrade is going to be a good set of winter wheels/tires for the Prelude sometime next fall. I'm thinking of going minus 1 with a set of Michelin Arctic Alpins (like you). As much as I'd love to upgrade the RE92s right now, that's not going to happen. I'm going to pick up my engagement ring on Friday. We're going to Aruba at the end of July, so every penny counts now.

• blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I've been very pleased with my SO-3s. Like Sphinx said, it's like driving a completely different car. If I have to replace them in another 20K miles, I'll still consider the money well spent.

On the other hand, himiler, I'll be interested to know how your RE750s work out. I've heard the RE730s made a lot of noise when worn, but I know Bridgestone tried to address this with the RE750s, so I'll be curious whether they succeeded...
    I too will be interested.

I figure that I had about 50k miles on RE92s between my first leased 5th gen and my current '01, so I was willing to sacrifice some rubber for something new. I'm glad, so far-- easily the most effective "performance upgrade" I ever could have imagined.
    It is amazing what a good set of tires will do for a car, even one as well-tuned as the Prelude.

Will you be going to a set of steelies with winter treads, too?
    I will have to. I have not seen any highly rated winter tires in 205/50/16, which is unfortunate because I do have three extra Type SH rims (from a friend who trashed his car) sitting in a closet.
    A sidewall height of 50 is a death sentence for those rims, anyway, when you factor deep winter potholes into the equation. Ouch!

I use 15" wheels with 195/60-15 winter tires, and they clear the brake calipers without drama. Plenty of rubber available in that size. I've used Artic Alpins the last 4 years, but think I'll get something with better loose snow traction this time around. Those Alpins are tough to beat on ice and bare pavement, though -- they're as good as the RE92 in the dry.
    "Those Alpins are tough to beat on ice and bare pavement, though -- they're as good as the RE92 in the dry."

That's like saying that a particular actor is as enjoyable to watch as Pauly Shore.
    As far as snow tires go, I hear that the Arctic Alpins (that you use) are great everyday winter tires and do very well in the snow. I can personally attest to the amazing performance of Bridgestone Blizzaks in the white stuff. From what I remember on my '92 Beretta which was not a performance car by any means (I'd have a hard time calling it a car with its 60's era 3 speed slushbox, wonderful GM quality, and pushrod motor) that the Blizzaks were noisy on the highway and didn't corner very well. However, when the white stuff dropped on the hills of Ithaca, NY (where I went to college), my Beretta wearing its Blizzaks was unstoppable (no I don't mean the brakes failed either smart guys). I went everywhere the townies and their 4WD pickups went and many a times rode alongside a spoiled, Long Island SUV driver.

I've used Blizzaks and have a set for my Subaru, but don't like their iffy handling and lousy braking performance on the highway. They absolutely rock in heavy snow and ice, though.

sphinx -- for a winter tire to do as well in the dry as a HPAS tire is pretty good. And, for reasons I cannot explain, I enjoyed both "Encino Man" and "Son in Law."
    Okay, okay, back to Preludes :)
    My girlfriend's 2000 Protege ES came with the same crummy RE92s as the Prelude does. They've got about 46K miles on them and I'd like to get them replaced before next winter. Can either of you guys advise on a good All Season Tire?

Himiler: You're right about the awful braking and lousy handling. I always felt as if I was driving on metal grates. The noise above 65mph was just abominable.

Those Dunlops do look sweet. Just what she's going to need.

The Prelude is scheduled for a road trip from NY to Hilton Head, SC. We'll be leaving this Wednesday night and returning sometime Sunday evening. I'm glad my friend who's coming with me has a V1!

Gas mileage: Do you guys notice a significant drop off in gas mileage when you use the A/C? I got about 20mpg off my last tank, but the light went on at around the 245 mile mark.

Which Dunnies -- the Sport A2 or the SP5000?

I seem to average between 27.4 and 28.8 mpg, regardless of whether or not I'm using the A/C.

Then again, I'm 95% highway and rarely doing less than 75mph.

I can usually get 360 miles on a tank before my low fuel light starts to show. The most I ever got from a tankful was 423 miles. I probably could've got another 20-30 miles out of it, but I lost my nerve. After that stretch, I put in 14.7 gallons.

I love my V1!
    I think the Sport A2s look nice for her purposes.

My low fuel light usually goes on around the 280 mark (I think). I can usually squeeze about 320 out of a tank (mostly stop & go traffic).

• tprjimtprjim Member Posts: 16
    Could someone advise as to the widest tires possible to fit to a 1991 Prelude? I'd like to up-size to 16 or 17 inch wheels and fit the widest tires available.The suspension arm intrudes very closely on the inner side of the tire but I wonder if deeper wheels (to the outside) can be fitted. Thanks for any forthcoming advice.
  • elbee1elbee1 Member Posts: 6
    If you like to hit the corners, don't get the SP9000s. Feel like banana skins after semi-bald A520s. Wanted to get ES100s but were not available in my size due to a "manufacturing problem" according to the Tire Rack.
    I was driving home from work this afternoon, about fifteen minutes of highway driving with the AC lightly on, 75mph, cruise control, when I turned on the stereo. The MOMENT I pushed the stereo button, the ATTS and Check Engine lights came on. Now they're not going off! sigh

I have regular service scheduled for next week so I guess I'll take it in then. Given that it started the moment I turned on the stereo, I'm assuming it's a fuse issue of some kind.
    I got back early this AM from my 1700 mile round trip (NYC to South Carolina). My friend who came with me knew the Prelude was capable (he owned a '92 Si at when we were in High School), but didn't think it would be as up to the task as his '02 A4 3.0 w/ Quattro & 6 speed. He said that the only difference was that the Audi felt more natural at higher speeds (he's talking in excess of 100mph). The Prelude's seats were supportive and very comfortable. We drove most of the way between 70 & 90mph with some occassional speed bursts following some complete wacko. The V1 was right on the money. Now I'm faced with the daunting task of cleaning the damn thing. It is filthy inside and out!

OK, so I haven't driven it (nor do I plan to waste mine or a salesperson's time), the G35 Coupe looks great in person. I don't see too many of them around here (I understand they're more prevelant in other parts of the USA), but so far I've seen the car in Silver (does nothing for me like it does on the Prelude), Red (very pretty, but I'm sorta biased), Black (Sharp, as it is on any sports car but be prepared to face the consequences), and this Graphite color (Oh my, that's it!).

The black one I saw in the showroom was perfect. I loved the black interior. The interior panels are finished nicely, but there's a strip of very hard (read: cheap feeling) plastic running across the middle of the dash (where the air vents are). If Infiniti fixes this, they've got a perennial winner (in my mind which they don't care about). I know it is heavier and has a smaller redline compared to the Prelude, but you've got to give it some credit:)

The bang for the buck is awesome on the G35 coupe (not that it is exacty cheap). However, I'd have to drive it back to back with a 325i & 330Ci to see how it stacks up. Between ED, a better resale value, and the BMW styling is timeless while the G35 is kinda "flavor of the month," you'd definitely have a hard time prying me away from the BMW dealership. Let's see if Bangle butchers the next 3 (although I'm a fan of the 7 & Z4 when properly equipped).

I like the G35C, too, but it's too far over on the luxo-boat end of the spectrum for me to actually want one. I'd pull the trigger on a RX-8 or maybe even a stripper 330Ci before signing on a G coupe.

New tire update, for those interested: the 750's are great in the wet, with very progressive breakaway and no hydroplaning. They do "sing" a bit on wet roads, but it's not as bad as the S-03's constant growling.
    Let us know at the 6000 mile mark if the 750s have the deafening tire noise of the old 730s.
    I'm not gonna fall for this twice.
    I'll be there soon enough. Already have close to 5K on 'em. If they start sucking in a big way, I'll return them under the 30-day test drive program.
    How are you putting 6000 miles on the tires inside of 30 days?

Also, I saw that the treadwear rating on the 750 is a whopping 340. Does you feel it has less grip than the 730s?
    I drive approximately 1500 miles weekly for work.

I haven't driven the 730, but I can tell you that the 750 doesn't give up much grip to the S-03, just sidewall stiffness.
    Forgot to note your username there! Actually, I should be himiler2 but I've slowed my pace recently. I've got 214,000 miles on my 98 Lude. My best year was 52K--"only" 4-plus thou a month.

I've got SP9000s on the car now but I miss the stiffness of the A520s, which I felt complimented the car perfectly.
    elbee: 214K on your '98 Prelude? I know you himiler's done more miles per year, but that is still a lot! How's the car holding up? Any problems? what have you replaced? I've got just over 10,500 miles on my '01.

Himiler: The G35C is one of those nice cars that's nice for somebody else, but I'd personally never get one.

The BMW 1 series keeps getting nicer and nicer as it comes closer. The specs are pretty impressive. Weighing in at just under 2500 pounds with engine choices ranging from a 1.8L 125hp I4, a 2.0L 150hp I4, to 2 different 2.0L Turbo I4s with 200 & 240hp. There's talk of an M2 (they wouldn't dare call another car an M1). The styling is going to be the big X factor. But we'll just have to wait and see.

You (I would hope) don't have in the dreaded timing tensioner issue. I had it twice but now have the updated part. One of the rear wheel bearings went south at 101,000 and I had the ignition switch replaced ( as per recall) at 140,000. That's it. I've burned a QT. every 1,000 miles since about 70,000. It feels like new. The key is the 3,000 mile oil changes and the KONI shocks.

Also, watch out for the oil pan threads--they are fragile! Either do the oil yourself or go to a Honda dealer.
    Well, not in a Prelude but I read in one of the mags this month that Honda is considering putting a 2.2L I4 in the S2000 (S2200?) as part of a refreshening for either '04 or '05. It would still pump out the same 240bhp, but at a lower RPM with more torque than the current motor. The new car would also have some cosmetic enhancements like new front and rear fascias.

I would look forward to that. I think the 2.2L is a fabulous engine... although that being said, Honda's 2.4L is getting all the raves lately.