Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Funny thing is that the Trooper was just out there double parked the whole time while I was working on it! Didn't even plan for it to be int he pics. I can snap some rear end pics next time I see him. Not sure what the tiger is for...

-mike
  • justdrivinjustdrivin Member Posts: 17
    I have been knocking around the idea of mounting an antenna on my 2000S also. My idea was on the passenger side rear, in the door sill next to the smaller door. This mount would work; this way the doors can open and the wires won't be in the way.

It would need to be mounted toward the top of the door, so the door can swing open all the way.

http://www.alfenterprises.com/adjustable_door_mounts.htm

It's the model SS 204 Door-jamb mount.
    I'm thinking of putting one on the rear spoiler on the leading edge of it, with a trunk-lip-style base which would mean the wire would be completely hidden and the antenna itself pretty hidden.

-mike
  • justdrivinjustdrivin Member Posts: 17
    Mike,
    I had looked at the spoiler mount, but I want to be able to pull the truck into the garage without a problem. I plan on mounting the antenna low enough to clear the opening...probably around one foot over the roof line. Firestik makes 2', 3' and 4' antennas.I know this may not be optimal, but it is a comprimise between convenience and o.k. reception.
    David
    Yep if I had a garage I guess that would be an issue. I'm not convinced that the spoiler is the best place myself, hence my delay in doing it. I'd really like to put it behind the spare tire mount, as I did on my Rodeo, I still may try to work that out.

-mike
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Guys: I know they get a bad rap, but I've run a glass mount "cell style" antenna for years. Its not the most powerful antenna, but it receives great. Also, I've never heard anyone complain that it was weak on the trail. Just an idea, Mark

EDIT:

Also, I tried the spoiler on my old troop. I figured the aluminum would not rust. Unfortunately, however, it did not offer a very good ground either,
    I had one on mine, it was mediocre at best, especially with the tint. Then i lost the antenna on the trail cause it rattled loose, so I ditched it. Didn't realize it was Aluminum on the rear spoiler :( Looks like it's behind the spare tire somehow.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have been looking into the small rear door also. Firestik has a molded side mount that looks good. I have also trying to figure out where it would go on the inside. The leg area in the dash is fairly tight.
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    how 'bout this one ..front driver side hood lip

EDIT:This type also has easy removal of coil and whip;quarter-turn quick release makes for simple storage in trunk to prevent theft or vandalism
    I was going to try to finagle onto the rear spoiler. I don't like it to be exposed where Utes in NYC can play with it.

:)

-mike
    I went with a mobile for starters. I want to be able to use it in multiple vehicles. If it turns out I want to, and use it enough, I will put a permanent mount in, I will do so at a later date.

I am ramping up this summer's add-ons. I think it is going to be new tires, and possible OME springs. I don't want to raise the vehicle, so I am debating the springs. I am thinking about 265/70's maybe 275/70's, to give me a little wider footprint, but not increase the height too much. Did those of you who have changed tire size also replace the spare?
    I cheaped out on the spare. I figure it's only for an emergency anyway so the stock spare is fine with me. The 275-70s aren't as high as the 265-75s, I found the 275-70s to work out nicely.

-mike
  • rlhallumrlhallum Member Posts: 2
    I've been trying to find a vendor for the ECB "nudge bar" that would fit a 1999 Isuzu Trooper. I've gone to the ECB-USA website, requested a catalog, I've emailed and even called the phone number and left messages, but I've had no luck getting any form of a reply. Does anyone know of a source for such a product? Or any other product by another manufacturer that would do the same thing?

I'm just trying to provide some front end protection without having to replace the front bumper. And if at all possible, I'd like to avoid the full brush guard product by Manik or WAAG.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
    If I don't have to work this weekend...yes.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have been waiting for these to come in for quite a while. I had a credit from a set of Polk 5.25 speakers that would not fit in the rear speaker openings. The store let me try and physically place all the different 5.25 speakers that they carry into the rear speaker mounting holes on my 1995 Trooper. None worked. I found an old post on ITOG long ago and saved it. Since the same store was about to become an Alpine dealer I have been waiting for these to come in. They have arrived. They fit the mounting hole just fine. They will require four new screw holes because the stock speakers are 4 or 4.5 inches not 5.25.

Here is a link to the Alpine SPS-1329S speakers that fit the rear of my 1995 Trooper.

http://www.alpine1.com/html/stage.asp

• gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I put in the top of the line triax Sony X-plode 5.25 on my '99, and they fit fine. They sound great.
    Got my handheld CB yesterday. It works great outside...inside the truck not so well. I think it should be good for close in communications on the trail. Anything over 1/2 mile might be a stretch. Though for $30 it was quite the bargain.

Paisan, I saw a blazer that had a rear mount like you are talking about above the spoiler. They used something similar to a hood channel mount from under their rear window/door, as opposed to attaching it to the spoiler.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Check and see if you can get an adapter to hook up the handheld to an external antenna, like a magnetic mount or something. I have one for my Cobra handheld, really helps for in-vehicle communication.
    I can get one. I got a cobra 38 wxst. I got a refurbished because I am not sure how much I will use and or want a CB and it was 1/3 as much as new. This weekend off-road will be a good test. If I am going to put an antenna up, I think I will go with a permanent mount. If I decide to invest further in CB radios, I will just keep the HH for fishing, beach communication in the summer and emergencies. I like it so far, and if it works for a 1/2 mile on the trail, it may be all I need.
    Well I used it this weekend in the pine barrens. It was OK. Good enough for a few times a year. For close in communication it worked pretty well. I could hear transmissions from farther out, but wasn't sure if I was getting through. I have to run it on batteries however, the AC adapter works, but has an engine buzz. It lasted all day on batteries, and the battery meter still reads "full".

For general listening to radio traffic on the highway, etc, it is no good, too much noise. For caravans it is OK, general use, I would buy a hardwired or add an external antenna.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Alright guys I decided to get a trailer hitch for my trooper since JCwhitney has them on sale for $99.99 for a class three hitch. They have a bunch of wiring harnesses available. Is there one in particular that plugs into the existing wiring or do they all and it just depends on which type of connector I want.

Also I was in Florida for a couple weeks and was surprised to see the number of posts I missed while hanging out with Mickey Mouse. We drove down (Pittsburgh to Florida). Averaged just over 15 miles per gallon for the trip. I am sure mileage would have been a little better had I not had the Yakima Rocket box on the roof, but it was a neccessity and the fact that I kept the cruise control set at 84(just under Paisan warp speed). Oil consumption was almost a quart for the round trip. Mounted a set of hellas 500s on my series 2 nudge bar and could not believe how incredible these lights are for night time driving. I recommend everyone get a pair.
    Yeah the plugs if they are plug and play for the trooper are a 10 second install. I think they vary depending ont he trailer you are pulling.

-mike
    I have a pair of handheld CBs. They are a good model Midland 75-830. They work great for a CB. They even have weather channel.

In actual use, the CBs are far less fun than FRS (family radio service) radios. With FRS you get everything a CB has to offer for caravaning or splitting up in the park, without having to listen to all the static. There is a new longer range FRS radio out there.

Anybody want to buy a pair of 2 year old handheld CBs with car power / external antenna adapters and battery packs and magnet mount antennas? $50 plus $10 for packing material + $10 for shipping.

http://www.midlandradio.com/products.asp?pid=29

CBs are required for all trail rides and we constantly have people who don't have em yet. Also I like to listen to channel 19, since they forwarn me of speed traps etc. Also when travelling it's cool to chat it up with the truckers :)

I'll pick em up @ Paragon if you are going.

Also I'm probably selling my nudge bar to anyone interested.

-mike
    What about using FRS on the trail? Why is CB required over anything else? It seems like it might be time for a new requirement? Pros: no static, no automobile interference, handheld units work well inside vehicle, cheap, no antenna to get hit by trees. Cons: Limited range (but if you bring your CB antenna down or move it to a non-tuned location on the trail, your distance is compromised too), rangers don't monitor them.

Maybe we should start having everyone use FRS on the trail rides instead of CB?
    Well CBs are better on the trail for:

Range, last time in uwharrie when I was in a truck that almost rolled over, and we were calling on the radio, the guys back at camp heard us on the radio. Had we actually rolled the guys we were with would have needed their help and they could have come to help. Also in places where 4-wheeling is legal, it's nice to be able to call the rangers.

FRS is also way more expensive for good units than CBs. You can get a CB setup for about $50 which is way better than a $50 FRS setup.

What is this stuff about static? I've had CBs for years and never had any static on them unless I had the squelch too far up, or my antenna was crappolio.

-mike
    Yeah, I am wondering about the static thing, too. A decent CB won't have any static if you have a decent squelch control. Whereas, the FRS radios my dad has for group fishing trips barely can communicate in line-of-site on the open water, and are static-y as hell! Nowhere near the range of a CB. Maybe they are just too cheap.

GMRS radio might be a different story, but they are more $ than CBs anyway.

Nothing says you can't use FRS on a trail ride, as long as everyone agrees. I just don't see any reason not to use CBs.
    Why are you selling your nudge bar?
    I want to get the full bumper :)

-mike
    Do you want me to e-mail them to you? I have low res and high res pics. The high res pics are quite large.
    If you don't mind. :)

-mike
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Can you hook a winch up to that bumper Paisan?
    Yeah the ECB Big-Tube Bar bumper can be setup with a winch slot and mounting bracket. I don't plan on a winch anytime soon, but figure I'll buy the winch version so that when I do get it I will be all set for it. I'm debating now though Silver Ripple or Black Ripple, not sure which would look better. The Black will contrast, but I'd like the silver if it matches with my paint.

-mike
    I've never understood the craze for these things. The other day I saw a Rodeo with a bull bar on it. The poor Rodeo had nailed something. The top of the bull bar had bent back into the front grille/hood/passenger fender. The damage was pretty bad (while only cosmetic). I could only think that if they hadn't had the bull bar on there that there would be no damage from whatever they nailed.
    Die, what you saw was not a bull bar, most likely. Most likely it was a cheesy US built wannabe bar. You know the ones that are on 90% of the SUVs out there. A true bull bar from ARB, ECB, TJM and a few US makers (Darlington Off-road, Indpenedent4x) will take out things like 6-8" trees w/o even wincing. Also usually a Bull bar is mounted 3-6" from the front end of the vehicle to allow for some shock and re-bound w/o damaging the vehicle. The ARB one that my buddy has on his montero took down a tree when he skidded down a hill in Uwharrie last year no damage to his truck or the bar, probably saved the truck.

-mike
    paison,

How do you want to do this transaction? What Where When is Paragon? If I go will I have to keep one of the CBs to participate?

I kind of agree that CBs still can be useful. I used mounted mobile CB to get rescued years ago on the Olympic penisula in WA when I accidentally parked in waste deep snow with my 1984 Trooper on a back country two track that is barely even a road in summer. The guy in a Jeep CJ and winch that came to help was far enough away that it was a 20 minute drive on the main roads to get to the head of the trail I was on. I was intending to park so I could go fishing in a nice hole on the river (Snohomish River or something like that). The spot I parked on/in was about level with the snow on the trail at the top of the snow, but actually it was a drop off. The 1984 Trooper weighed in around 3000# so it floated on top of the snow so I could still open the door to step out. That's when I discovered it was waste deep. I was eye level to the door handle. Meanwhile I had left the Trooper in gear idling with all four wheels turning so I had to get right back in. That's when the CB came in handy.

We have not used the CBs in a while. I still have to run this deal past my wife. We have been in a clean out the stuff we don't use mode lately. Rarely does she complain about this kind of thing, but she wanted the CBs for when we travel in two cars. Now we have also the FRS radios which are easier ( no cables and no squelch to set so I can hand them to the small kids) to use.

boxtrooper.
    I thought you lived in Pitt and were coming to Paragon on April 6th? If not then drop me an e-mail mike@iace.com and we'll figure out how to complete the transaction.

-mike
    Paisan i am the person from Pittsburgh who is thinking about going to Paragon. I am still a big question mark right now. Hopefully I will have my mind made up by the weekend.
    I have an observation on ride quality. I just finally got the front end ride height to where I wanted it, and I was suprised how much the ride improved after the last, relatively minor adjustment via the torsion bars.

With too much rake (front lower than back), my Troop was riding kind of like an unloaded pickup - nose heavy and more of a hobby horse ride. Now, with the front/rear nearly level (just a slight rake), the truck feels happier, more balanced, and the ride has smoothed out noticeably.
    Do you remember the model# for your rancho 9000s (rear)? I'm about to place an order for my 01 w/ OME. Also, is hotrodoffroad.com still the cheapest? Thanks, Mark P
    IIRC on my webpage in the FAQ section there are the part #s I used for ordering my Rancho 9000s.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

Mike: Thanks, FAQ specs 9215 for rear. Do you know if this is correct for a 2" lift? Mark
    I do not think the OME springs change the amount of travel. They may lift the rear end up, but the overall travel of the rear suspension should not be affected, so the regularly specified shocks, 9215, should still be the right ones.
    With a lift and improper shocks your downward travel will be limited, but in the case of the OME 2" lift, the 9215 work fine. I've off-roaded mine plenty of times since my lift and shocks and it works out nicely.

-mike
    just lifting up a vehicle with a different spring does not change the amount of wheel travel though. Shocks don't care what direction they are traveling in, only the speed at which they are traveling and their limits, and since the limits haven't changed, you'll be alright.
    On the rear of the trooper the downward travel WILL be limited by the shocks. The top of the shock mounts to the frame, the bottom to the axle, there is a max amount of distance that the shock can expand, so if you put more than a 2" lift you would need longer shocks because when the axle is in the down-most position it will be further away from the frame than it would be with the stock springs.

-mike
    Thanks for info. If the 9215s work for Mike, I'm sure they'll be fine for my setup. Its not too often that I have tire hanging in the air due to shocks, but I want to get best fit possible. Mark P
    I must respectively disagree with Mike on this one. I would use the same shocks as with standard springs, because the TOTAL wheel travel (up+down) does not change, just the resting (equilibrium) point within the travel due to taller springs. You essentially are just trading downtravel for uptravel, without changing the total travel. And since the shocks are the limiting feature for downtravel, putting longer shocks on puts you in risk of rupturing a brake line if the axle droops too far.

Now if you have a body lift put on, that is a different story. Then, you would definitely need longer shocks to compensate because the upper shock mount will move with the body lift.
    You change the equilibrium point with new springs, but you are trading upward travel for downward travel, or vise versa. If you move your mounting locations, like a body lift, or new A-arms (not on the rear of a Trooper, just suspension in general), then you will probably have to get new shocks with different amounts of travel.
This discussion has been closed.