Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

1tone1tone Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Isuzu
WILL BE AVAILABLE 1/15/01! The unit simply plugs incline with the stock wiring harness going to the transmission and has adjustments for line pressure and delay of torque converter lockup. I have been testing a unit for the past 6 months that only adjusted line pressure and it has been great on the street and on the track. Quicken shifts actually allow a transmission to last longer as the slipping that occurs in a long, smooth shifts is really slip page which wears out the clutches and bands inside.

MSRP should be less than $200 and no disassemble of the transmission required. Can be removed easily if necessary. For more info, their site is:
http://www.autotransinc.com/intercept.htm

Please mail me if you are interested in this product.

Comments

• deimosdeimos Member Posts: 57
    Can you reccomend a SWAYBAR for an Isuzu Rodeo '99 4WD V6?

To improve flat cornering on-road? No major deterioration to the ride(e.g. side tossing)?

We don't do much off-roading :)

I'm also buying aftermarket shocks again to improve handling and control at highwya speeds...Are Monroe Sensatrac good in that area?
    Would they make my ride much harsher?
    Would Bilsteins be better?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm going to do the following on my trooper:

OME Springs in the Rear
    Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks all around
    Calmini f/r sway bars.

THere are links to Calmini on my page below:

http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have ordered an ARB Bumper for my 1999 Trooper. I got it from 4x4connection.com for $595 and about $130 shipping. It should be in by the end of the year. I did a lot of research, not only talking to a lot of vendors, but calling the ARB US HQ who were very helpful. They even faxed me a letter about airbag compatibility. The letter was vague, it didn't specifically say the Trooper, but said that all bumpers comply with current airbag standards. It was enough re-assurance after all of the other information I have gathered.

I plan on adding a winch next year, $800 a year is all I can handle. The ARB guys don't think I will need to adjust or upgrade the suspension unless I add a winch (current bumper 20 lbs. and ARB 100 lbs.), so I may add OME shocks down the road, but don't think I need to for the initial install. I may need to have the ride height adjusted, I will see.

BTW, the new spellchecker is difficult to use, I really liked the old format, so if I mispell, too bad until they improve the new "improved" version.

Three is the magic number, took me three times to post this message too...
  • rdsterlrdsterl Member Posts: 21
    Paisan--any word from your New Zealand connection? Not to rush you, but I was considering calling an Aussie dealer's parts department, since they at least speak Anglais. NO FEAR! Email me at rdsterl@hotmail.com when ya hear anything.
    You can try e-mailing http://www.schofield.co.nz/index.html They seem to be a pretty big Holden dealer out there. Make sure to include your VIN # cause that is what they asked me when I e-mailed them.

-mike
    http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/Forum68/HTML/001909.html

Check out the above link for information on new Calmini winch bumpers. These are totally cool and expected to be in the 600 dollar price range.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    Well I just ordered the Hella 4000 Eurobeam lights for on my Nudge Bar w/city lights. Also upgraded to the 130watt bulbs for it. They should be sweet for the mountains. Ordered from susquehana motorsports, great guy over there who I always deal with. I'm planning on wiring the 5w city lights into my parking lights (at least the relay trigger for them) and the relay for the 130w main beam will get wiring into the highbeams. I figure that if I do that I won't have to mess with wiring in any switches through the firewall, etc. etc. Also the only time I'd use the 4000s would be when I have my high beams on already so that seemed good. Side benefit is that my flash to pass will be 100w high beams, 80w low beams, and 130w Hella 4000s :) Links to susquehana are on my home page. I also ordered a K&N air filter from prefromance parts so we'll see if it boosts performance at all.

-mike
    Mike, Scofield looks like just an Isuzu Commerical dealer, so I nav'd to Gerald Slaven's Holden website and posted a message to their parts guy. Hopefully he'll respond by Friday. I also need to pull up the cargo area carpet, as I'm fairly sure the center mounts for the seats are not there. This may be more hassle than I thought, cause the gas tank is right below there, and I sure ain't welding/cutting anything...
    Check out this link for Japan-market Isuzu Bighorn accessories:

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/lineup/suv/big_acc/index/htm

No idea how to buy, prices must be in yen, and I didn't download the Japanese text support, but still saw all the pics just fine...
    Schofields sells the Holden Jackaroo. I submitted an inquiry to thier parts department and we'll see what we can come up with. I've been told that the floor under the carpet has a perforated section where the lockdown unit goes for the seats. I can neither confirm nor deny it, so once you rip up the carpet let us know. I did get a repsonse from St Charles Isuzu here in the states. They said they can't sell the seats because of liability problems and directed me to third parties for seats. Here is one place I know has trooper seats... http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/

-mike
    Well, I did revisit Schofield's after reading your post, and must have missed it, duh. Anyway, bad news is there are not cutouts for the anchors under the carpet, at least not on my '99 S, and the guy from Gerald Slaven (Canberra) Holden-Isuzu says you cannot purchase that critical part, but the rest is available for around 1800 AUSTRALIAN dollars, sounds real cost-prohibitive. Bummer. I did find Cerullo Seats on the web, but look VERY WalMart to me, so no dice. The real bad news is Eileen just saw the new Sequoia yesterday, and she thinks she likes it better than our Trooper. Looks like I'll be taking that second job. :(

Bobby Sterling
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    isn't as bad as you think, the exchange rate is very favorable, probably less than $1,400 American. There are websites that can tell you the exact conversion.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Hey, I'm sure the Sequoia is a nice vehicle, but I just saw a 2000 Trooper LS advertized for $23,999! A Sequoia will cost you half again as much...that better be a good second job!
    The Littletonesseats or something has some really nice 3rd row seats for the trooper and only about $800 for the most expensive ones (head rests and 3 point seat belts w/factory fabric) are pretty reasonable. If I was gonna get 3rd row seating, since the Isuzu one isn't a viable option, I'd definitely go with these.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I've heard several good things, and no bad ones, about their products. I don't need a 3rd row seat yet, but if/when I do this is the option I plan to investigate.
  • sthrnfatsthrnfat Member Posts: 1
    These tires are great! They look good, they handle very well on road (in wet or dry conditions - no hydroplaning), they're quiet, and yet they still hook up off road and in the snow.

I don't see any reason to get a highway tire for a truck or SUV. You can get the Pirellis and have tire that is great on pavement/highway, and will keep you out of trouble if you do venture off the beaten path.

I bought a set of LT265/75/16s for $96ea on sale at Sears. The BFG AT KO's in the same size are $144 ea (they now have a fixed price so there are no discounts)!!! That is a savings of nearly $200 for 4 tires - that'll buy a new set of adjustable Rancho 9000s, or whatever else you need! To top it off - most AT tires don't even come with a milage warranty!

Check out this link from a recent magazine article where the Scorpion AT's out performed all competition including tires cost 50% more!

http://homepages.go.com/~dmmcg/Jeep/tiresfor.htm
    Holy Honking Lights!

I haven't hooked up these lights yet, but they are friggin HUGE!

More to come gotta go install them!

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    My 2000 Trooper S came with -

6-disc CD changer
    bug deflector
    cargo mat
    black tube side steps

As soon as I took delivery I added -

WeatherTech front and rear floor mats
    Front and rear Cordura slip-on seat covers
    Black anodized license plate frame
    DesignTech 55w halogen back-up bulbs
    Hella Optilux hi/lo headlight bulbs
    K&N air filter

I just ordered for Xmas -

Hella 500 driving lights
    WAAG center guard

I got the lights but am waiting on the WAAG guard to arrive to install them both. I'm looking forward to the additional front end protection as well as better lighting and enhanced appearance!

I plan on adding next -

Wheelskins steering wheel cover
    Rosewood interior trim kit
    Hidden Hitch
    MasterBuilt Hitch Haul carrier

One of the many great things about a Trooper is that since they're so inexpensive for what you get, there's money left over to add stuff like this.

I'm still trying to decide on whether to upgrade the shocks, sway bars, springs, bushings (any or all of these).

I am pretty satisfied with things as they are but wonder what improvements these additions might make.

I guess I will drive the truck for awhile, do some light off-roading and then decide.

Sure wish I could drive one with the some of the suspension mods already done but that's not possible.

Happy Trooping!

-Dave
    I'm in the process of organizing a group buy on the ECB nudge bars. So far the pricing is looking like about $290 for the chrome bar and $275 for the Black one. Which includes shipping direct from ECB to you. The more we buy the lower the price will be. I'm also trying to sell my black bar if anyone is interested for $240 cause I want to get the chromed one.

Here are some relative links:
    http://www.ecb.com.au/holden.htm (ECB's Holden Jackaroo page)
    http://www.ecb.com.au/Page6.htm (Different finishes available)
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper (my page with pics of the black one on my trooper)

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
  • chrismiller1chrismiller1 Member Posts: 7
    Mike,

I was looking to get more info from you on the nudge bar. Tried to e-mail you but not sure if it went through. Please e-mail me at chrismiller007@aol.com when possible.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Well, I'm thinking that's gonna be the way we'll go. You're right about the price, it'll be around $36,000 for one with 4WD, side airbags, captain's chairs, and roof. That's a full 13 grand more than our '99 S, but the seats are our big motivation. More room, comparable mileage, etc., and I just sold my 'Runner last week, so one cheap car and one expensive SUV is better than two semi-expensive SUV's. For Sale signs go in the window tomorrow, and then wait until we sell her before anything else proceeds. Could be a month, could be three, who knows? Not everybody would do what we're doing in this situation, but we're pretty happy with the route we've chosen.

So, I guess this is farewell, guys! Thanks for all your help and info. Good luck with the club, there are great people in here whose hearts are in the right place. Ciao!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    and, if at all possible, try to find a buyer for your Trooper who really appreciates what the vehicle is all about. You might try posting a free ad on www.itog.com. It's frequented by Trooper lovers. The only downside is that your ad may not show up on the site for a couple weeks after you send in the info.

I'm curious to know where you're located, the details on your truck (mileage, any options, etc.), and what you plan to ask for it. My 98 is an S with Performance Package (similar to the current LS), which means it has TOD, in-dash CD changer, the 'extra' manual driver seat adjustments, other small junk, but no fog lamps. I've added the black Isuzu side steps which is the only mod to the vehicle. It has 39,000 miles and I figure it's worth 17.5-18k if I were to sell it myself.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    ... engine oil in my Trooper and change the oil
    at approximately 4000-4500 miles. There is no
    noticeable oil level drop at these change intervals. I know how fustrating it is to have
    a vehicle that does use a quart every 3000 miles
    or so -- my previous 1989 Trooper was that way.
    Yeah post up the stats maybe in the dealer section, some prospective buyer may be interested in it.

-mike
    So far we are up to about 4 semi-confirmed people ordering, the ECB Nudge Bar. I'm going to place the order sometime after Jan 31 (soon after, like Feb 1) so anyone else interested just drop me a line.

-mike
    mike@iace.com
    Well I finally straightened out my problems with wiring, which were totally un-related to the lights.

In a word the Hella 4000s w/ Eurobeam and city lights are awsome. I have them wired into my high beams (the trigger 12v+ is wired to the High beams, not the actual current for them) and they basically make the high beams look like they are barely on. The Euro Beam pattern coupled with the multi-reflector are great. I am also happy to report that they don't have any significant drain on the power available to the car (at least as far as I can tell w/o a voltmeter are you listening Isuzu!) On saturday, I had the full compliment of power items running, 2 130w H1 bulbs in the Hella 4000s, 2 heated seats, 2 heated mirrors, Rear defroster, Stereo/CD, Cell phone charger, Fan Blower on High, High beams. No ill effects.

The City lights are a nice touch, they are a 5 w H3 bulb that I have wired into the parking lights, this allows the globes of the Hella 4000s to be slightly illuminated whenever you have your parking lights on, but are by no means providing much light for driving or anything. With the City lights on you can leave the Hella plastic covers which are ventilated and semi-translucent, on and they glow with the Hella Logo illuminated.

The other nifty feature of the lights is that they have manual adjustment knobs on them to aim them, so that you don't have to get out with a socket and shims to adjust them. Basically you loosen 2 screws a little and can slide the whole light around to adjust it. Very helpful. The Hella wiring harness was well built and easy to follow. Quality stuff all around.

Hopefully I'll have pics up soon so you can see for yourself how they look!

-mike
  • greentmgreentm Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase roof racks for my new 2000 Trooper. Need them to haul my boys surfboards to and from the beach. Any idea where I can purchase them?
    Thanks
    greentm
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I've been toying with the idea of replacing my AM/FM cassette unit (I really don't use cassettes much) with a AM/FM CD unit. This is a lot cheaper (and probably better) than buying an Isuzu CD unit. While on my travels over the holidays, I saw a Pioneer that was installed for the stock AM/FM cassette into a Chevy ext cab 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. It looked and sounded great and plugged straight into the stock 4 speaker system. Anybody have any experience with this in the trooper. I have a '99 trooper S.
  • pogofxpogofx Member Posts: 6
    I too am desperately looking for a permanent roof rack that works with the Trooper. I have a '99 with moon roof and have been told by more than one shop that they can't find one that will work with the sunroof. I find it hard to believe that you can't put a rack on an SUV. I am sure I've seen some on the road that have both a moon roof and roof rack, just haven't been able to catch the brand.

Otherwise, I can't find one bad thing to say about the Trooper. I was completely anti-SUV before I took a drive in the Trooper. When my dad drove mine, he went out and bought one for himself - still trying to unload his Blazer :( Can't understand why not many people have discovered it. That's fine with me! Wouldn't want it to turn into Soccer Mom mobile like the Explorer.
    I know the guys in MD sold theirs stock with roof racks and at cerami dealership in new jersey. Worst case you might give them a call and ask what make model they put on them. Also they are definitely available, since, outside the US, they come as stock items! Also Overlander.com has some racks for the trooper as well (Yakima comes to mind) Also check out the links on my web page for more racks possibly.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    Well here is a response from Shoefield's Holden in NZ.

>Dear Mike
    >
    >Thank you for your enquiry. We have one available, Part No: 92074227, Grey Patterned. The >cost is $2,848.10 Incl. GST.
    >There is no stock available ex-Japan. Should you require any further information, please do >not hesitate to contact me.
    >
    >Kind regards
    >
    >Carl James
    >Assistant Parts Manager

-mike
  • basketballkidbasketballkid Member Posts: 25
    I'm not a roof rack expert, but I've thought about it quite a bit and visited a few sites, so here are some thoughts:

- first you need to decide what it is you want to carry. For instance if you only want to carry skis or other light stuff, you can get a Yakima or Thule that sits nicely in the back half of the vehicle, attaches to the top of the roof without any permanent hardware and can be taken off when not in use to eliminate wind noise.

- if you want to carry heavier stuff, e.g. bikes, canoes, luggage carrier, etc., Yakima and Thule offer a rack that has towers that sit in the door jams. NOTE: this MUST go on the front part of the vehicle. It covers your moonroof. You have no choice with these two manufacturers. But you can take it off when not in use and you can also buy a fairing that deflects the wind and looks good too.

- if you want a permanent option, overlander.com offers a rack that takes advantage to the screw holes that Isuzu still puts under those plastic strips on the roof. But once its on, its meant to stay on. You can puts lights, etc., if you desire. I've heard good and bad things about overlander.com.

Hope that helps.
    Phil
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have a Thule Rack. I love it, it looks great and is very solid. The bars are heavy duty and you can get a 30" bar spread which is ideal for carrying loads. I am able to take 2 bikes and a cargo box on vacation. I have very little wind noise if any from it.

I don't have a moonroof, but the rack fits high enough over the roof as to not interfere with visibility and operation. The feet sit on the roof just above the rain gutters.
    I will be accepting V/MC/Amex/Discover for it.

-mike
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I jsut replaced the front & rear speakers in the 2000 Trooper S w/CD changer. It made a big difference in sound. I used 6 1/2 inch Pioneers in front and 4" inch Infinity in the back. Total cost less than $200 for both sets of 2-way speakers.
    I've only done a bit of city driving, but the truck seem to have more control!

By city driving I mean: some snow on the small streets, while the main streets are mainly wet...Some of the main streets have a limit of 80km/h and people drive up to 90km/h in straight lines...

My trips were short(about 10km), but I had the feeling that the truck was in much more control when cornering(not too fast) and such...Also the nose diving when braking seemed almost inexistent(OK I don't brake hard, never on slippery roads, but still)...It felt like someone was holding the truck tighter, no more wobbling :) On the other hand I didn't feel that the ride was harsher yet (no big potholes yet, only minor bumps), it is just firmer...

I'm curious about how will it behave on a twisty highway in the week-end? That's where I'll hope to see an improvement: at highway speeds...:)

Please excuse me, if I seem a little bit too enthusiastic, but anything that makes us feel safer in the truck is a bless :)

The stock shocks had only 23.000 km when replaced...I've kept them, even if I very much doubt that I'll ever put them back :)

Now, I'm also looking for a firmer front sway bar, then the stock one, but I'll open another thread for that question...
    Glad to hear good things about Isuzu owners. I've been pretty excited about my Hella 4000s Lights also!

-mike
    Happy New Year!

a)What are your thoughts on a firmer sway bar for a '99 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD V6 five speed? Would it help improve cornering at highway speeds? E.g to reduce body roll/lean?

Some people, including Chris Perosi from "Planet Isuzu " and even my dealer indicated that it should help...
    Unfortunately my dealer(Saturn-Saab-Isuzu, in Ottawa, Canada), doesn't deal with after market parts...:)

I've just installed after market shocks(Sensatracs) and we'll have to see how much will they help, but I'm also consider a sway bar, if it helps even more...

Problem is, it's hard to locate one:

b) Could you help locate a supplier for a firmer front sway bar for the '99 Rodeo?

I've mailed a bunch of dealers from the sway away page with no much luck so far :)

1. swayaway@hotmail.com haven't answered yet(from Dec 20) or the reply got lost...
    2. Mike V from "Automotive Customizers" <4x4parts@shadow.net> first thought that I wanted torsion bars(but that's mainly for nose diving not for body roll when cornering, right?) and indicated that I already have a swaybar on my truck...I've just asked again for a firmer front sway bar
    3.Sandra from "RockAuto Customer Service" was kind enough to "ask around about the sway bar, but without much success" . She "thinks the new shocks are about all the improvement I'll feel"
    4. "brp" from "only sells and stocks " Racing" Sway-A- Bars."
    5. Mark Obeid" from kartek "sells sway a way torsion bars..." I've asked again for a firmer sway bar...
    At Chris Perosi suggestion I've also e-mailed Bob Lance (sp) at LANDRACE@PACBELL.NET, but apparentely I didn't get any answer...
    Again, unless my e-mail was blocked :)
    I've asked/e-mailed other dealers as well, such as:kregracer@worldnet.att.net, lee@raceshock.com, Camburg@hotmail.com, sales@mckenzies.com, info@fabtechmotorsports.com, info@4x4parts.com...But without any success :)
    I'm e-mailing them again, from a regular account, in case there was a problem with my Internet mail...

Thanks in advance,
    Marian
    If you look on my page there is a link to calmini they are Isuzu experts. I'm probably getting sway bars for my trooper from them.

-mike
    http:/www.iace.com/ia/trooper
    Happy New Year!

a)What are your thoughts on a firmer sway bar for a '99 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD V6 five speed? Would it help improve cornering at highway speeds? E.g to reduce body roll/lean?

Some people, including Chris Perosi from "Planet Isuzu " and even my dealer indicated that it should help...
    Unfortunately my dealer(Saturn-Saab-Isuzu, in Ottawa, Canada), doesn't deal with after market parts...:)

I've just installed after market shocks(Sensatracs) and we'll have to see how much will they help, but I'm also consider a sway bar, if it helps even more...

Problem is, it's hard to locate one:

b) Could you help locate a supplier for a firmer front sway bar for the '99 Rodeo?

I've mailed a bunch of dealers from the sway away page with no much luck so far :)

1. swayaway@hotmail.com haven't answered yet(from Dec 20) or the reply got lost...
    2. Mike V from "Automotive Customizers" <4x4parts@shadow.net> first thought that I wanted torsion bars(but that's mainly for nose diving not for body roll when cornering, right?) and indicated that I already have a swaybar on my truck...I've just asked again for a firmer front sway bar
    3.Sandra from "RockAuto Customer Service" was kind enough to "ask around about the sway bar, but without much success" . She "thinks the new shocks are about all the improvement I'll feel"
    4. "brp" from "only sells and stocks " Racing" Sway-A- Bars."
    5. Mark Obeid" from kartek "sells sway a way torsion bars..." I've asked again for a firmer sway bar...
    At Chris Perosi suggestion I've also e-mailed Bob Lance (sp) at LANDRACE@PACBELL.NET, but apparentely I didn't get any answer...
    Again, unless my e-mail was blocked :)
    I've asked/e-mailed other dealers as well, such as:kregracer@worldnet.att.net, lee@raceshock.com, Camburg@hotmail.com, sales@mckenzies.com, info@fabtechmotorsports.com, info@4x4parts.com...But without any success :)
    I'm e-mailing them again, from a regular account, in case there was a problem with my Internet mail...

Thanks in advance,
    Marian
    Thanks, I've just e-mailed them as well..
    Let's see if they answer: they seem to prefer phone calls?
    Yeah a lot of these car places are brick and mortor type places, just trying to get a web presence.

-mike
    Thanks!

BTW, Calamini just e-mailed:

"there is no upgraded bar available at
    this time for your model. We will be offering an aftermarket bar soon. Stay tuned to our website for new releases for your model."

Question is will a firmer sway bar do more damge then good(see e-mail about possible dangers when cornering in snow from Donahoe Racing ent.)?

"I would love to be able to help you but I'm not
    too sure what you are asking... To do a race style
    swaybar set up for the front end might not be the fix for
    the body roll. I would look at a good gas shock like a
    bilstien. Something that will control your rebound better
    and bring the truck back to center quicker. i would
    suggest a sway-a-way racerunner shock but you would need
    to make custom mounts. With a bilstien it would bolt into
    stock location. add more sway bar will make the truck
    push in the corners and if you get snow that might be
    troublesome. Just a thought..
    Kreg Donahoe
    Donahoe Racing ent."

I've thanked him kindly since we've just installed Monroe Sensatrac shocks but we are not so sure about fimer sway bars(being newbies to SUVs, etc)...
    From what I've been told, mostly from the subaru people who put better sway bars on their cars, they say that in the snow, a stiffer (thicker) sway bar will cause the back end to kick out sooner if you aren't careful about it. But on dry, your handling will be vastly improved. Also the sway bars will kill some off-road capabilities. For me, I do 90%-95% on-road driving, so a stiffer sway bar is what I'm looking for, for on-road handling. You could upgrade the rear coil springs as well and that will help too w/o compromising snow handling. There isn't a real good way to have your cake and eat it too.... I'd have gotten the Rancho 9000s which are adjustable shocks, so you could firm it up in normal conditions, and loosen it up for snowy/off-road situations.

-mike
    Thanks again...

a)When you say that I "could upgrade the rear coil springs as well and that will help too w/o compromising snow handling", which ones are better leaf or coil?
    One dealer touched the same subject, implying that I have coil springs(to be honest I'm checking that right now)...

I agree with you, since we also do 90%-95% on-road driving and when it snows, I'll be slowing down anyways when cornering...

b) About "from the subaru people who put better sway bars on their cars, they say that in the snow, a stiffer (thicker) sway bar will cause the back end to kick out sooner if you aren't careful about it".
    Sorry to ask for additional explanations(not only I'm new to cars, but English is not my mother tongue either):
    Apparently my Rodeo has both front and rear sway bars...I was investigating replacing the front swaybar with firmer one...How would that "cause the back end to kick out sooner if I'm not careful about it"?
    And how exactly would the "back kick out sooner"? Different wording please :)
    Have coils.

I'm not sure how the front sway bar would effect snow handling, I was talking about the rear sway bar causing the rear tires to slip out easier than with a smaller bar on turns. Basically the stiffer the bar, the more likely on wet/snow that the rear will come around on a hard corner. I'm not sure of the effect of the front one though.

-mike
    Like gpm5:

"I've been toying with the idea of replacing my AM/FM cassette unit (I really don't use cassettes much) with a AM/FM CD unit.
    This is a lot cheaper (and probably better) than buying an Isuzu CD unit."

I've just bought a Sony AM/FM CD player from Future Shop and we are planning to do a ...swap:

That is to take out the Clarion AM/FM cassette unit from the Rodeo and install it our small Suzuki sedan, while putting the new Sony AM/FM CD player in the Rodeo...:)

I also plan to plug the Sony CD player straight into the stock 4 speaker system.

a) Anybody have any experience with this in the '99 Rodeo? How does it sound?
    b) Which car audio shop would be a better idea to use:
    1. The one "certified" by Future shop(so that I get warranty on my new Sony player)...
    But I wasn't too happy with their service in the past, with another AM/FM cassette unit into our other car...
    2. The one(Durand I guess) that my Isuzu dealer uses for audio work...Maybe they'll know better how to handle the task? And by some sort of miracle keep my warranty on the Isuzu Clarion AM/FM cassette unit, even if I move it into the other car? :)

BTW those guys installed an alarm for me, at the dealer request and I was happy with their service(not bug free, but quick fixes)...
    If the price is right, I tend to go for the second...

Thanks again,
    Marian
    "Have coils"?

I seem to have coils in the back of my '99 Rodeo, is that what you recommended?

My part dealer said that I could put even stiffer ones, in order to have more control, but in the detriment of the ride quality...I won't go too much down that road...BTW: it seems that I'm the first one to even put after market shocks at this Isuzu Rodeo dealer(low volume in Canada)...

Thanks for the clarification that it was mainly the back sway bar that could affect snow handling in the way you've described it: rear end...

I was only investigating upgrading the front one(at the Chris Perosi recommendation from Planet Isuzu) in order to improve cornering on highway...
    BTW I do not plan to corner fast in snow, or to do much off road...:)

But highway driving is a different story: we have long distances here(200-500 km for my main out of town trips to either Montreal or Toronto), people drive fast(speed limit at 100km/h, but most everyone goes 120km/h)...Even in summer time, on twisty and windy highways (around the Grand Lakes) I don't feel too comfortable in my '99 Rodeo...

That's why I've just upgraded the shocks(to Sensatracs) and started to look into front swaybar, better tires and tire pressure...

I know that ideally one should really slow down(bellow 100 km/h even in the summer), but that's easier said then done, on long trips... Still I'm afraid of roll-overs and I'm investigating all ways to make the car handle with more control...

My dealer implied that the'99 Rodeo has a pretty good balance between control and ride quality(not to harsh), but we'd rather emphasize on control/safety rather then comfort :)

Within decent limits...:)
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I plan to do it myself, when I go for that. It should be straightforward if the wiring harness is designed to accept the stock speaker system. One could also opt to get a system in which you could add an additional set of surface speakers to the rear for example to increase bass output.
This discussion has been closed.