Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Sounds like two of the wires do nothing from the other posts? That seems like an odd wiring set-up. I suppose you can not tell what is going to the terminals of the speaker from the speaker side of the white connector that you're talking about. I have not looked at the speaker connections.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Islander21 - I hope I don't confuse the issue any more, but here goes. I had the front speakers installed by Best Buys, but I watched what they did and then installed the rear speakers myself.

The two pairs of wires for the front speakers I think have something to do with having both the woofers in the doors and the tweeters by the mirrors. If you unplug the wire harness from the speaker you will notice that the speaker connector is shaped like a "T". The vertical connector is the ground. To make sure which wire to connect to which connector I suggest that you look at the wiring for the rear speakers since they only have one pair of wires and are very easy to remove. If I remember correctly you leave the grey wires alone and figure out which color wire is connected to the top of the "T" which would be the positive and which is connected to the vertical connector which would be the ground or negative. Since it is pitch dark outside and the Trooper is outside in the snow I can't go out and check this info for sure right now. This subject has also been discussed back in the early Fall , but hopefully somebody else will verify this info that I gave you.
  • mtrionfomtrionfo Member Posts: 20
    Islander21 - You will likely need to clip those two little plastic strips at the rear of the speaker cutouts in your front doors. I installed Polk 602's on my 95 and found that until I cut away the strips the speakers would not mount flush against the door panel. After determining that there would be no interference between the speaker and the up/down movement of the window glass I clipped the strips.

Rgds, Marty
    95 Trooper LS
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Anyone want to writeup the speaker upgrades (hopefully with some diags) for me to post up on isuzu-suvs.com which is my new site? E-mail any FAQ type stuff and or modifications you guys do to me mike@iace.com

-mike
  • islander21islander21 Member Posts: 43
    Mike, I'm working on it. Let me develop the picures I took so I can scan them and post the process. Yes, I know - I should get a digital camera...

Islander
    Believe it or not, I don't even have a Digital Camera yet. I've been avoiding it but I think it's enevitable that I will have to get one. Maybe with my Bonus I'll get it.

-mike
  • arcolinoarcolino Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Trooper S and want to add tinting.

Does anyone know what percentacge tint comes standard on LS and Limited Editions and which windows (front too?)
    On the LS and Limited the 2nd set of doors have 20%, rear sides 20% and rear doors have 20% Front sides have 0, and the top 3 or so inches on the windshield have like 35% or less. I did the driver and pass. door to 35%, but now I wish I had done 20%

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I used the harness/adapter provided by Crutchfield to install the Polk EX602s in the front door location of my 98 Trooper. I don't think it's necessary to clip the plastic strips that are behind the speaker and protect the area in the door cavity into which the window rolls down. IIRC, the EX602 speakers fit behind the factory grilles easily as long as they are pressed back a little bit against the plastic strips. When I tried to install the Polk dx6, a more expensive and deeper speaker, I cut the plastic strips that are behind the speaker and protect the area in the door cavity into which the window rolls down. Unfortunately I still couldn't make them fit and decided to return them rather than attempt to perform additional minor mods to squeeze 'em in there. I've been very pleased with the EX602.

A harness much like the Crutchfield one should be available at most automotive sound shops. I installed the same Polk speakers in my previous Trooper, a 1996, and used the wiring harness for the speaker wire from Circuit City.

Replacing the front and/or rear speakers in the Trooper is so easy that nobody should pay someone else to do the job.
    I don't know if you folks consider this relevant in the mods/aftermarket forum, but I just wanted to repeat that St. Charles sells all Isuzu brand parts, from oil filters to running boards, for 15% off manufacturer list. This seems to be their standard price, but you may need to mention you are an ITOG member or that you saw St. Charles' web site, www.stcharlesauto.com. The phone # is 800.727.8066.

Also, the parts guy I talked with yesterday mentioned that they frequently sell items on eBay and that they also sometimes auction off a coupon for 30% off manufacturer list for any single order (can be multiple items). This would be a great way for somebody to save a lot of money when ordering things such as running boards, side steps, spare tire covers, bug guards, etc.
    I'm gonna add them to my link page, i have to add a few more pages, St. Charles being one of them.

-mike

BTW: New address for the webpage is

http://isuzu-suvs.com

• luvmytrooperluvmytrooper Member Posts: 3
    If someone has a in-dash 6 disc changer or a single in-dash disc player for the 1998-2000 Trooper for a good price please let my know. I just bought a 2000 Trooper S 4WD and it does not have a DC player or changer, but the head unit has the changer controls and I would like to keep the factory look.

Thanks for all the help in advanced.
    I wish you luck in finding one, but your chances are probably fairly slim. If you decide you MUST have the factory changer or single disc player, give St. Charles Isuzu a call (800.727.8066) to see what their price is. You probably won't do better from any other dealer in the U.S.
    I checked it out at St Charles and just could not justify the price vs buying a new head unit with likely much better sound, so I've decide to go the later route. I too was thinking about the factory look. I still want the black face but that's about all I'm worried about now.
    I'm not sure I like the idea of a CD changer. I mean I have that at home but one time through all 5 of them and you're just changing them one at a time anyways. I don't think I could decide in advance what I would want to listen to for the next 6 hours and thus change all six CDs!
    gpm5, what was their price for the in-dash factory changer? I'm sure you can get equal or better quality and reliability with an aftermarket deck. There are still some plain-looking, classy decks out there amongst the sea of units with cheesy flashing multi-colored lights.

I've had my eye on a Blaupunkt at Costco for a while. Don't need it for my Trooper but thinking about it for my Contour. It's only $130.

For $200-300, you can get a pretty damn nice unit. I'm guessing the factory changer is $500-800. We'll see how much my service records list when I go back to the dealer for them to install a new one under warranty (it's on order). My current unit refuses to play a disc 90% of the time.
  • john303john303 Member Posts: 14
    I likeike: I have a thule "spare me" on my 94 trooper. it required replacing the OEM bolts that hold the spare and spare cover with studs. It's a nice rack, except for having to do some tweeking for proper bike fit.

dbreaux: So are you using OEM or aftermarket springs with the rancho's? Im thinking of purchasing some KYB's for mine. I guess im look ing to see how much better the ride is.
  • radman6radman6 Member Posts: 81
    Hey, I'm curious if anyone is running larger LT's on their Troopers versus the P rated tires they come with. Any significant change in ride, handling, power, speedometer reading, noise?

I plan to take my Trooper off road from time to time so I'm thinking of upgrading to 245-75-16's or maybe even 265-75-16's. I'm partial to the Michelin AT's and M&S tires. Great ride, great traction, and they last forever.

I'm thinking of picking up a set of custom wheels this Spring and saving the stock wheels for winter tires. I'm running Cooper Weathermasters (studded)on my pickup. Will probably get a set for the Trooper next Fall. Probably sounds like overkill to owners in more moderate climates. Even with over 20 years of winter driving experience (and a pretty cautious nature)I managed to slide through two stop signs already this winter ~: 0 - and almost rear-ended a Durango that spun out and buried itself in a snow bank on a steep icy hill.

Winter driving in NE Washington and N. ID can be pretty treacherous - snow and black ice everyday. With TOD my Trooper has all kinds of go but doesn't stop so good on ice.
    It wasn't a changer, just a CD player, and I can't remember the exact price. I asked and they emailed me. Seems to me ther price was in the $300-400 dollar range, about 150-200 over what I would spend.
    I wonder how the TOD on the trooper will react to studded tires. May be no effect but could do something.
    I'm not sure specifically about studed, but from some experiences and research, so long as ALL the tires on the truck are the same diameter, you won't have a problem running them. If they are the same diameter, then the axles will be spinning at the same rate and it won't interfere with the TOD. Basically any time the speed sensors detect a varying speed of an axle or driveshaft it attempts to equalize them.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    If you go to 265/75R16s your speedometer will read about 7% low.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I use it quite often.

-mike

• ricksrlricksrl Member Posts: 17
    Anyone install tubular side steps on their Trooper?
    I've been checking sources on the web and I am having trouble locating a set for my 2000.
    I'd be interested in hearing the pros and cons, good experiences and bad.
    My wife is only 5 feet tall and she could use a little help getting in and out!
    Thanks!
    St. Charles Isuzu.

Also any 98-01 Trooper application *should* work on a 2000. They are essentially the same vehicles. (heck a 92-01 should also work, except for the front nose cone, everything from the A-pillar back is the same on 92-01)

-mike
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    To all Edelbrock IAS Performer shock users and/or OME rear spring users: WARNING:

My '99 Trooper, currently equiped with OME rear (progressive) springs and IAS Performer shocks all around, just had a rear IAS shock break - literally come apart - while I was driving to work last week. I noticed a terrible noise after I left the freeway and while driving slowly thru parking lots and secondary streets, and on to work.

This is my 2nd mishap - failure - with Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks. I'm done with 'em.

Went over to the dealer, and inspection revealed that the IAS rear shock for the Trooper is threaded only about 1/3" (at most!!!) at the bottom of the piston rod which screws into the top of the bottom mounting point. The piston is NOT safety welded!!! Apparently, the IAS for the Trooper is NOT designed for ANY type of lifted situation - even the measley 1-1/2" that the OME results in. Looking closely, the threads didn't appear to be stripped; instead, we think the top of the mounting bracket, over time, began to dis-form enough such that the threaded end of the piston was able to pull out. We unbolted the bottom bracket, screwed the thing back together and remounted the shock. For now it is holding - with very slow driving - my wife is driving to and from the daughters school only. When I remove it for good (in 7-10 days) I will report again with more details of this malfunction.

This vehicle has NEVER been taken off-road, never driven over drop-offs, never abused, never had the brakes hard locked, or anything - just normal city/freeway/go to work/get groceries type driving.

RECOMMENDATION: DO NOT USE THE IAS PERFORMER SHOCK ON ANY LIFTED TROOPER (E.G., THE OME REAR SPRING); IT APPARENTLY CANNOT HANDLE ANY EXTENDED TRAVEL SITUATION BEYOND STOCK HEIGHT.

I am replacing these "shocks" with OME Nitrochargers (firm variety based on several recommendations) - which is what I should have done in the beginning. Unfortunately, I was taken in by Edelbrocks "slick" marketing campaign. Never again. Please keep in mind that I earlier (last year) had both of the right side (front and rear) IAS shocks develop leaks after going over a moderate bump on the pavement 3 miles from my house. Those were replaced under warranty; bottom line is I don't recommend use of the IAS shock - it doesn't appear to be a truly robust piece of equipment - certainly not one I would trust knowing what I know now.
    About 2 months ago I installed the Isuzu brand black side steps on my 1998 Trooper. They install quite easily, in factory-drilled holes in the frame, although it took me a couple hours because I'm terrible with a wrench. Anybody with some common mechanical sense should be able to do the job in 30-45 minutes.

I ordered from St. Charles Isuzu, which sells all Isuzu parts at 15% off manufacturer's list price. I believe the price was $279.40. Shipping is free. I think the aluminum side steps were about $330, and the running boards were about $310, IIRC.

I didn't really look at other brands of side steps or running boards. At $280, I didn't think an aftermarket version would be that much cheaper anyway, and I prefer being able to say/know that it's an Isuzu brand item.

I decided on the black ones instead of the brushed aluminum because my 98 Trooper doesn't have a ton of chrome/aluminum showing. It's a Performance Package, which means it has monotone paint and body-colored side mirrors (not the chrome mirrors on the '98-99 Luxury Package / 2000-01 Limited trim Troopers).

So far I've been pretty pleased with the side steps. They look good and feel quite solid-- I bounced my full 185 lbs. up and down on them and there was no flex or sag, although the truck really does rock back and forth!

I had the running boards on my previous Trooper, a 1996. These were factory-installed. I like the cleaner look of the side steps better, although the running boards may provide more secure footing because of the larger surface area.
  • troopintroopin Member Posts: 19
    The shop that lifts the Troopers here in Iceland also modifies the shocks. They weld an extention on to the top. I do not know that much about the process, but it looks fairly easy with the right type of welder. 10k miles and no prblems. Good luck. Troopin.
    Someone on eBay is selling the factory 6-disc in-dash CD changer from a 1999 Rodeo. Just thought I'd mention it. Auction # is 1217355072.
    Don't think anybody has mentioned this yet on the Isuzu Owner's Club...

A while ago, some discussion on www.itog.com pointed out that a company called Wet Okole makes some pretty cool neoprene seat covers that are customized for many makes and models. A couple Trooper owners had excellent things to say about the quality of the seat covers. They aren't cheap, but if you're looking for a seat cover for whatever reason, you might want to check out www.wetokole.com. In particular, these seat covers seem like a good choice if you do a lot of off-roading or other activities which get your vehicle's interior dirty or wet.

Paisan, this might be a good link to add to your web site.
    Thanks for re-posting that link.
    Hotrod-offroad.com has the rancho 9000s for $55 currently which is an outstanding price IMHO.

-mike
    My buddy who's my Isuzu salesman who also used to be a mechanic, helped me to convert over my XT6 from the stock air-ride suspension to struts and springs. The car handles like a dream now! :) Just in time for Auto-Cross season.

-mike
  • duktrooperduktrooper Member Posts: 78
    I understand that Manik makes a pretty nice set of tubes, that fit nicely with the Trooper. One of their tech support guys told me they are somewhat adjustable in how close you can put them up to the body(range of 2 3/4"-3 1/4"). The catalog pic I saw was pretty sharp. My local 4 wheel parts store quoted me $250 installed. Not a bad deal.
    Hey Sahara-
    You sure got my attention with your story...I have the exact same setup on my 99 Trooper. Springs were added just last week. I'm going to get it up on a lift tomorrow and have it checked out by my local 4 wheel shop. Pls keep us posted on what you find out. I've been looking for an excuse to get Rancho 9000's or OME's.

Hey, can anyone tell me what's involved in installing fog lights(Hella) in the cut out locations...they appear to be pre-wired already.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had Hella fog lights installed by my local 4x4 shop. They ran a new set of wires from the dash to the lights. They install nicely in the cut-outs, but not as flush as the factory ones. The black trim on the sides and back make them stick out just a hair beyond the bumper. They are very secure and do a tremendous job of lighting back country roads and of course in foggy conditions. I'm very happy with them. I paid $50 for the installation.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I have the manik tube steps on 2k trooper. I do not like the fact that they only attach in 2 places. Having said that, they hold me up (250+) and look pretty good. They did shift ever so slightly once, but seem to have seated themselves. Other stock steps (other than Isuzu) seem to attach in 4 places. OT...Has anyone tried to install a Nokia cark-91H hands free set? It is the wired one with antennae that uses your cell phone as the "unit". I hope there is enough room. Also, What weight oil is everyone using. So far i am using Mobile One 10w30 and burning a qt about every 3-4k. Next!
    Yep, that's about my results. Mobil 1 10w-30 and maybe a quart every 3-4k miles. I change just the filter at about 3700-4000 miles, top it off with more oil, and go another 3700-4000 miles before I change everything. Also doing this in my '92 LC that has 135,000+ miles.
    How do you guys change the filter w/o the oil? Doesn't it pour out of where the filter goes when you do that? Just curious.

-mike
    I have had the Old Man Emu shocks on since last June, no problems. In early January I put the OME springs on also. The shocks were very beefy compared to the stock shocks. So far so good, even though a couple of ice storms have turned the side streets around here into virtual "off-road" situations...
    I'm thinking of getting the OMEs instead of the rancho 9000s. I've heard great things about both but maybe since I'm getting the OME springs I should stick with their shocks... Where did you order from?

-mike
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    We need more folks to make $250 deposit for the Project to begin. Please visit http://www.ok4wd.com or http://www.outdoorwire.com/ebb/Forum68/HTML/001960.html for detail info. TIA
    Did you get the speaker wire scenario straightened out? Circuit City has both the SONY CDX-4000X (150) and the JVC KDS550 (130) on sale this week + a free set of JBL (low end) speakers.

Should I replace either front or back with these JBLs (dual cone)? The back definitely sound worse then the fronts. I really don't need anymore highs since those come from the tweeters in the doors and that is mostly what you get from the better 2-way speakers. Do you or anyone know the base response on the stock front and rear speakers (i.e. do the front go below 70 Hz)?

How does the CDX4000X look in the dash of the trooper. Does the red around the volume knob blend in okay? The JVC has similar features (separate bass, treble, loudness) but less power (40 watts*4) and no readout on the CD titles. The base output on the JVC as compared to the SONY was not as good on the dual cone JBL speakers, but the JVC is a more toned-down looking unit. Also the JVC loads CDs straight-in without opening the front. The SONY could be useful in keeping offroad dust out of the CD player though.

Any other thoughts?
    Hey Chris Miller, my e-mail has been down today. Check out the page http://isuzu-suvs.com/nudge.html and you can check the prices for the bars. As soon as I get your order I'm gonna process the group buy.

-mike

• ricksrlricksrl Member Posts: 17
    I found a site, performanceproducts.com, that lists an application for the Trooper for $205 plus shipping. $250 installed sounds like a good deal. I think I'll keep shopping.

Rick
    No - how could the oil come out; with the engine off it's all (except a little in the filter) down in the oil pan area. Just unscrew the filter (a little bit comes out like a normal change), put on a new one, clean up the small mess on top of the splash guard (my '99 has), top off with oil to Full and you're ready to go. On my '99 Troop the filter lies sideways. On my '92 LC the filter is actually located higher up the side of the engine, with the threaded part pointed down - makes a nice mess every single time. Oh well, 9 years down and 9 more to go on the LC, then no more messy oil changes!!

I have ordered the OME shocks from 4 Wheel Parts & Wholesaler guys - the national chain. They are "special" order meaning they don't stock them but instead get them direct from ARB USA. I hope to have them in town in several days.

Good luck on your decision. If you want to wait several days I'll report on how the OME rides vs. the Edelbrock.
    Well, I wasted no time after reading enough stuff about Edelbrock....ordered the OME shocks through 4 Wheel Parts. I chose OME over 9000's for two very minor reasons...first, I already have the OME springs and I bought into their "matched for each other story" after talking to Buddy at ARB. Second, I really don't want to have to fool with adjustments(even though it's simple) in the weather during hunting season. It's hard enough just getting my waders and gloves off. I was very impressed with ARB's interest and helpfulness and figure that's a good sign if there's ever a problem.

By the way, per Buddy's Rx for my vehicle use, I went with softs on front(N26F) and firm(N15) on rear. I'll be putting them on Saturday and posting my "for sale" ad for the IAS's thereafter.

Hey, I put Hella 450 fogs in my cut outs...a little large, but man are they intense. Now if I can only do something about that flying meteor(bright green) toggle switch that nearly blinds me at night.
    Try using some nail polish on the switch, I've done that on several that were too bright. Thanks for the input on the shocks. I'll likely go with the 9000s or the OME haven't decided yet.

-mike
    Sahara, thanks for the explanation. I am thinking of switching to full synthetic on my 98 Trooper, replacing the filter every 3,000 miles and the oil every 6,000. Currently I'm using synthetic blend - Castrol or Valvoline - and changing oil and filter every 3,000.
    I got my OME stuf at a couple of different places, since I didn't get the springs and shocks at the same time, and at least one of them is out of business. Since then the lowest prices I have heard of are from Tennessee Off-Road.
This discussion has been closed.