Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cjtrcjtr Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2000 Trooper, which I will use to tow a 4500 b.(approx.) travel trailer! Has anyone used their Trooper for this, and if so, how does it perform. Would you recommend it? Sharon
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I was towing about 2800 lbs this weekend and the bounce of the trailer was transmitted into the trooper somewhat, but this may be due to the somewhat marginal leaf springs on the utility trailer that I was using. Also, I have stock shocks on the '99 trooper that are somewhat soft. Also, I did notice sometimes starting from a stop, that there was a slight effect like slack being drawn out, but this could have been the hitch to trailer slack that I felt. Once rolling at 55 mph it was very smooth and stable with no sway on smooth hgy.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    GPM, check your pin, and make sure that it is the proper diamter. I had a similar problem on my rodeo where the tounge would jiggle on starts and stops. Also I noticed a pull like that on my rodeo witha trailer that was not properly balanced.

With my 2000 Trooper, I towed a 3500lb boat trailer from the Jersey Shore up to the Adirondacks using stock shocks and springs, a hidden hitch, and the boat was very well balanced on the trailer. It was a dream to tow it. Took the NYS thruway and GSP @ 75mph with the cruise control on, forgot the trailer was even there. The hills upstate NY weren't a problem either.

A suggestion sharon, though would be to upgrade to the OME springs ($225) and the Rancho 9000 shocks ($225) plus installation ($100-$150) (I paid $150 for installation in NYC) and that would make your travel trailer be an easy tow.

-mike
    Could well have been the balancing.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone know if the 0.0% financing offer has been extended past April 30th? I have a friend interested in buying a Rodeo. I bought one last month and have enjoyed it very much. 1100 miles so far and no problems.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Can anyone help me determine current cost on a Trooper LS 4WD? Edmunds shows invoice @ $26,608. KBB shows $27,838.60 Edmunds TMV is $25,460 (then add dest. of $545): $26,005. If Edmunds has netted down 3% holdback ($922) this is most of the difference. My understanding is that current dealer cashis $4,000 or you can get 0%. Where is the right price with cash back, with 0%? Local ads are featuring "S" Troopers 4WD with 0% at $22.995, delivered. Thanks for insight
    Are we talking about a 2000 or a 2001? 2001 Troopers don't have nearly as many incentives as the 2000s, but there are almost no incentives around.

-mike
  • flinflin Member Posts: 29
    I am planning on picking up up a new 2001 Trooper Limited 2WD tonight for approximately $7700 off of MSRP. Could have gotten the same discount on a 4WD. Faxed bid requests to numerous dealerships in the area, and the best quote had the driveout price including taxes coming under what most dealers quoted before taxes. As long as things go smoothly and I come home with it tonight, I will give a follow-up report on the exact figures.

Only thing that scares me are reports of gas going up to $3 a gallon. Yikes!
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Paisan, $4,000 on 2001 4wd, 3500 on 2WD. One dealer just called with drive off quote on 2001 LS w/roof at $27,995 with o% OR 4,000 off and I finance. He said $27,995 was invoice.
    Hey bob, that rocks. I got mine for near (true)invoice +$1000 last year less $2500 off and paid $27,500 for it + Tax and Tags. Just about the same time of the year. That's a great deal. Take it and run!

-mike
  • flinflin Member Posts: 29
    Picked up my new 01 2WD Limited tonight at an Atlanta area dealer. Price was $25,640 + 300 doc fee + ttl. If anyone wants to know the dealer/salesman, shoot me some e-mail.

[email protected]
    Chat tonight @ 10pm here on Edmunds! Link in the Owner's Club Area.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

• toddswagnertoddswagner Member Posts: 33
    I bought my 2001 Trooper S in Atlanta as well. Paid 20,800 for it and 22,500 all in. It listed for 27,500, so I felt like I got a real deal. I needed something to pull my boat and still be Japanese. 4runners didn't have the horsepower and I didn't want to spend 40k on a sequoya. I really enjoy it so far.
    Welcome and enjoy your new trooper. Let us know more about it. check out the chat at 10 pm EST.
    welcome to the trooper ownership group. enjoy.
  • conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    Hi all,
    Just wondering what everyone is paying for a 2001 Trooper LS with MoonRoof? It appears either a $2k Rebate or 0% is still available.
    I have got a quotes around $29.5 or so without the rebate. Thanks.

Regards,
    Con
    Come to the Isuzu Owner's Chat tonight, if you are an owner, or interested in buying one! 10pm-11pm this evening.

-mike
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Hi,
    I need help from the "real" experts that are here on the board. I"m trying to make a deal on a 2001 Rodeo...a little wary about this "deal" I was offered. It's a 2001 LS Rodeo DEMO (already with 5400 miles). Nothing added. They're quoting me MSRP of $26,164 and will sell it for $24,350. The second "deal" they offered was a 2000 LS wiht moon roof, 6 disc changer, and woodgrain for MSRP $26,949, selling price of $26,227. Finally, the Trooper deal they offered was a 2001 S (nothing added)MSRP $27,772 and sell for $26,745. I did my research and these seems like BAD deals. Anyone have advice, please?
    Is that with 0% financing? If so the trooper S is not a bad deal. If it finance at ~7.5% then I would offer them $25,000 for the trooper S.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I paid $24k even for my 1999 S. I got 7.47% financing.
    I don't know what the interest rate was because we got it through the credit union and write the interest off on our taxes as a tax saver loan. We do that with our boat and other car. I don't know about the rebate program because another dealership had an ad for a S model at 21,000. We took it to another dealership, and they came off that price, then we went to another dealership and they beat that with lifetime oil changes. This dealership was an Isuzu only dealership.
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    yes, it's with 0% financing. But I still wonder why toddswagner posted getting a 01 Trooper S at $22,500 in all, and this is $26,745 not including tax, tag, etc? Sounds bad to me.
    The dealerships will get you one way or another. If you get the 0% financing, they will not come off the price at all, but if you get some kind of interest rate, they will come off the price. Since I financed with the credit union I didn't care about 0% interest because I wanted my car payments at a certain level. I guess 0% is good because car dealerships front end load the loans, so when you come back in 3 years to trade it in, you still owe a lot because you are paying mainly interest for the first couple of years. The credit union loan is simple interest. Dealers always have ways to get you, but since I couldn't find a decent used Trooper, I had to get a new one.
  • 88trooperguy88trooperguy Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me here? I went to two dealers to price a new Trooper limited. Dealer one quoted me for a MSRP of $35358 a Trooper at "dealer cost" of 31851. This does not sound right. Edmunds quotes a Invoice of 30286 for the same MSRP. The Dealer says ( of course ) that the "internet prices are not correct". His breakdown:
    "Base dealer cost" 30286
    advertising fee 300
    "holdback" 1046
    "floor plan" 349
    total cost to me 31851
    Needless to say I asked what is the justification for these added fees is. They said that is to cover costs of financing the vehicle, interest expense , dealer prep, etc. I replied the rest of the world defines holdback as a payment from the manufacturer at the end of the year , for these costs. I never paid these before and I have bought Hondas when they were in high demand and never paid these fees. They were adamant that the customer pays these. I booked out of there.
    The second dealer quoted a price of $250 above "dealer cost" . For the same MSRP he quoted a price 32276 as $250 above "dealer cost", meaning his stated cost was 32026, which is about $2000 higher than edmunds invoice cost. kelley blue book says the invoice is 31678 and carpoint says 31725. What gives? Have these Troopers become such a hot item that they can get these prices, or do they both think that people are idiots and will pay anything all of a sudden. Both dealers had lots of Axioms and some Troopers on the lot, so I dont think they are flying out the door. Or are the dealers trying to subsidize the zero percent financing offer. Reading posts I dont see anyone paying this much. Help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is no justification for that--look up the invoice cost at the edmunds site with all options, which you did--they are usually fairly accurate--ask him to show you the invoice for comparison. Look at the dealer holdback at the Edmunds site if applicable. If you are getting 0% financing take that into consideration by doing a calculation with 7.5-8%. Then decide how much over cost you want to give this dealer--be it $1000 or $500 or $1500 or whatever. If you think 1000 over is fair make him the offer, be ready to walk, and tell him if he doesn't take it someone else will, before you tell him you will walk. If the trooper is still sitting there in 2 weeks ask him if he'll take the offer then. Remember, the dealer doesn't make any money by having the trooper sitting in his lot and in fact after a certain interest-free grace period the dealer begins losing money if its sitting there.
    Call Horton Isuzu and Lou Sobh Isuzu in Atlanta, Georgia and ask what the same vehicle costs. Believe me, you will get a good deal.
  • eddie1337eddie1337 Member Posts: 8
    Hello people. Here's the deal that they gave me is $22,121 out the door that tags, title and everything. Here are the options... Power Locks, Power Windows, Tilt, Key less Entry, Alarm, V6, Tape Deck with 8 speakers, Tint Windows, AS and Alloy Wheels. So tell me is that a good deal. Now thats an out the door price so it includes taxes and everything else. Thanks for the help.
    That sounds like a great deal to me.
    10-11pm EST. Come chat with other Isuzu Owners. If you are an owner, or prospective owner, you don't want to miss this opportunity to get in touch live with other's who have real world experience.

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/isuzuchat.html

-mike

• scootdalescootdale Member Posts: 8
    Hello all. I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my 1991 S10 Blazer 2dr. 2WD for an SUV with 4WD. Have done alot of looking on the internet and am not impressed with the GM or Ford fair...Am really interested in the Isuzu line of TRUCKS (not cars with a lift and big tires)... Can only afford about 25k all told. Wish could afford a Trooper, but seems to get one with some options it will get "pricey". Any owners have info on the Rodeo Sport?
    You should be able to get a 2001 Trooper for that $25K sometime in Aug-sept time frame. It's well worth the money IMHO. Where are you located? If it's within driving distance of NYC, I have a great dealer there.

Staten Island Isuzu/Subaru ask for Mark 718-979-9595

-mike
  • conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    I just got a 01 Trooper LS w/moonroof for $29,710 + $20 "document fee" and tax and tag in NY. With 0% for 60 months, this makes the truck atleast $6,000 cheaper cause of the interest saving alone. So it was as if I paid $23,710 because of the Int. saving. You can't get a Pathfiner, 4runner, Montero Sport with sunroof or heated seats at that price. You would have to spend closer to 30k plus interest to get that(makes it almost $36k to get them) Make the Isuzu's a much better deal than anything out there. If you pay cash, then a different story.

Cheers,
    Con
    10-11pm EST. Come chat with other Isuzu Owners. If you are an owner, or prospective owner, you don't want to miss this opportunity to get in touch live with other's who have real world experience.

-mike

10pm tonight Chat! Come tell us about your trucks, or if you are a potential owner, we'll be chatting up our trucks. I'll give an overview of Uwharrie!

-mike

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    While it's true that the huge discounts make buying a *new* Trooper a very attractive choice, buying one of these "Isuzu rep" or "corporate" vehicles is a great way to get an almost-new Trooper for thousands of dollars less than a brand-new one.

The trick seems to be finding an Isuzu dealer that regularly stocks its lot with these barely used creampuffs, which they buy at Isuzu-dealer-only auctions periodically held by Isuzu of America.

I bought a 98 with Performance Package, 7000 miles, this way. Cost $21,000 (no trade-in involved). A new one would have been about $3,000 more. Like basketballkid's, my Troop was considered new and I am the original owner in Isuzu's mind for warranty purposes. I received the new-car questionnaire etc. I was supposed to get one with Luxury Package for $21,950 but dealer claimed an honest mistake at the last minute and said real price was $24,950. They offered it to me for $23,900, which I refused. I had them dead to rights for $21,950 but didn't want to fight them for it. In hindsight, I should have bought the Luxury Package; I wish I had the huge moonroof, heated leather, etc.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I went by dealer today looking for a new Rodeo advertised at 0.0% financing. Yep, can get it all right, if I pay MSRP. Oh, the $3000 rebate, yep off of MSRP which is still over invoice.

They deserve to have their SUVs rot on the lot with this crap!
    Could you tell us the dealer, so that we avoid them. Most Isuzu dealers don't charge anything near MSRP on anything. If you pay that, you are sucka.

-mike
    I would call this "stupid pricing" but not "sleazy advertising." The facts are that most manufacturer-backed financing or rebate programs are an either/or deal. I.e., you can't get both. So if you choose the 0% financing, your price should be about $3k more than the guy who chooses the rebate.

I doubt that 0% financing and MSRP pricing is their final offer; they may require buyers to negotiate to do better. If it is their best price, then their trucks will rot on the lot because MSRP is much higher than most Isuzu dealers charge for their vehicles.
    Buy a saturn!

-mike
    Dealerships in the PA area are closing. 3 dealers within 10 miles of me have shutdown in the last month? I asked my dealer what happened, and they said Isuzu came in, took all the cars, and took the franchise back. The closest dealer, if it is still open is 20 miles away.

I asked them what happens to someone who just bought one 2 weeks ago...tough luck, no warranty repair. They told me that I could probably weasel one last service and check, they might give me free diagnosis in the future, but that is it.

I guess I don't need to purchase an extended warranty, there might not be a place to cash it in.

Help! Anyone have/know of a good dealer in the Philadelphia area?
    Flemington Isuzu/Subaru is the best dealer in the Area. Well worth the drive. I drive down from NYC to get work done there. Also there used to be a big dealer out near the blue route forgot the name, but they did my hitch for me, part of a big auto-mall.

-mike
    Yikes...There is a dealer in Cinnaminson NJ, who is closer, I may check there first. If I have to drive 40 miles for service, do you think they will throw in a loaner hotel room for me?
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Greenfield Dodge/Isuzu in Lawreceville, NJ and Lester Glenn in Toms River, NJ may be able to help you.
    Currently, you can get 0% APR up to 60 months or 2.9% up to 72 months. Amazing!

The other day I saw that Isuzu was offering 0% APR for up to 60 months, but the offer was valid for only 5 days or so (Feb. 14-19, IIRC). I just checked www.isuzu.com and I see that the offer is in effect for Feb. 20-28. It's hard to tell if this offer will actually end, or if will be extended for a while or even throughout the entire calendar year.

My hunch is that Isuzu will offer low-APR financing most of the year, but it probably won't be this good all year. Maybe on Trooper, since it's the last year for Trooper, but probably not on Rodeo or Axiom because those vehicles seem to sell much better than Trooper.

My next task is to convince my parents that they finally should buy a Trooper.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    If anyone is looking, I saw several '02 Troopers in Delaware yesterday. Not far from the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Email for details. Cheers
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I posted it in Isuzu Rodeo discussion area and Mike suggested I post it here as well... Hope you like it :-)
    -----------------
    Just wanted to share my recent experience with one of the Denver Isuzu dealer (actually that's one of the only 3 Isuzu dealers we have around here).

I dropped off my Rodeo at around noon two days ago for an oil change and my outside mirror control unit wasn't working right: instead of being 8-way it become 7-way with upper right not working. I called them 20 min before they close to find out if they even got a chance to work on it and was told that the car is ready and they just forgot to call me back. The oil change was done, but the control unit was not fixed because "They were able to adjust it any way they wanted to." When I asked the service manager to get out of his office and try moving it in "south-east" direction he said that all the techs are gone and I can leave it if I wanted to for another day, but "they were able to adjust it any way they wanted to." I just gave up and asked them to lock the key inside so that I can pick it up later on. Next morning, I found a huge oil stain on the garage floor... Since the oil level was fine, I thought that they just forgot to take the rubber pan off before draining oil and there was some extra oil in it. However, when I was leaving work that day, I found another stain on the parking lot and took it back and left it overnight asking them to finish it up by noon. They, of course, never called me back and when I called them at around 1 p.m. the service manager said that the technician was gone for lunch and there is no way to find out the status. The technicians, apparently, have pretty long lunches over there, since he left me a message that the car is ready at almost 4 p.m. I called to find out what the problem was but couldn't get any straight answer. They way I understood it from his mumbling is that they either forgot to replace the gasket on the drain plug or used incorrect one. Since this is not the first problem I have with that dealer, I really starting to get a feeling that they just use my car to train their technicians for oil changes and this time, they had whole bunch of high school drop-outs to train :-)

If anybody is in Denver area and want to find out which Isuzu dealer I strongly recommend to avoid, let me know :-)))
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I bet the Isuzu dealer in question is handling Isuzu like a small sideline since it sounds like they both don't know what they are doing and they don't care.

My kid could not say Colorado when she was very young, so she called it Cadaroda (Cod-ah-road-ah).
    seem to take the approach that boxtrooper mentioned. Most Isuzu franchises seem to be bundled at dealers who have other brands, and Isuzu is just a 'bit player' in their operations.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I guess you're right... the four dealers we got around here are sharing their property with Nissans, WVs, Saabs, Acuras etc.
This discussion has been closed.