Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

12346»

Comments

• philomelaphilomela Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for a good Isuzu mechanic or Isuzu dealer in the Lehigh Valley area in Pennsylvania. Any suggestions?
  • satysaty Member Posts: 23
    help. I found a 2000 trooper s with 50,000 miles for 12,995. It's still in clean condition. My main problem is whether to purchase an extended warranty that would cover the car up to 5 years and 100,000 miles bumper to bumper for $ 1286. Any idea of what the remaining factory warranties are and how does they carry on to the second owner? I want to make a decision to buy this car by the end of today.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I just checked out the 1999 warranty on a related Isuzu site. "is Extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle during the warranty period" is mentioned for all the warranties - 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 year (10 years for 2000s) limited powertrain, corrosion and emissions. I would call Isuzu to double check for 2000. I think I remember seeing the 10 year was only extended to the first owner and second got the 5 year on the powertrain?

http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/images/99trooperwarranty.PDF

However my opinion is that you should put that $1200 in a separate bank account and use it if you need repairs. If not, then you have that money to yourself. I doubt you will need a warranty repair for $1200? Let's say the tranny goes? $500? I guess engine failure would be a big one, but that might be caused by lack of oil or something dumb, and then not a warranty item. (I mention the oil thing because some of these trucks burn up to 1 qt./1000 miles - normal, but people who don't know, don't check and then voila - engine problem)
  • satysaty Member Posts: 23
    thanks sbcooke for your input on extended warranty. Any potential problems that are common with the trooper which I should be aware of?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Wow where is that? IIRC the tranny runs close to $2K. TOD unit, electronics, A/C, ECU etc. All of which will cost a significant chunk of that $1200. I just extended my BtoB from 3/50K to 10/100K to mate up with the 10/120 powertrain.
    -mike
    There was a fuel line recall. You can read about it at iihs.org, it came out during crash testing. You should verify that your vehicle has had it done, and if not, get it taken care of.

I don't think there were any major problems with the 2000 year. Be advised that these trucks burn some oil, just normal behavior, there is a clunk that is audible when coming to a stop light and the transmission shifts from 3/2 to L, and that these are trucks not cars and the drive as such.

In regards to the transmission, yes a complete end to end replacement is probably more than I said, however, I cannot forsee such a major failure, so in my mind worst case is one of the components failing, so less than $2K, maybe more than $500?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Most of the time I see AT trannies either listed as "fine" or "rebuild" haven't really seen much as far as varying in price depending on the parts themselves that break. Even on a RWD american car an AT rebuild runs around $1000-1200 IIRC. So I'm thinking ours would be somewhere above that.

-mike
    While getting my IMG replaced this week, I spent some time talking to my service manager. He was complaining about how bad Isuzu's support is...not for the customer but the dealer. He said that he is put in tough positions because of a slow parts distribution network, poor warranty pay-offs, etc. He has heard many stories from his rep regarding end of life...to re-vitalization.

Makes you wonder.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Someone just got an AT and TOD unit for $255 for both- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=33727&item=2423339101

A TOD unit went unsold at $50 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=46104&item=2422695552

Just some food for thought should the time come for a major overhaul.
  • bcktoffishbcktoffish Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking a purchasing a loaded 1997 Trooper (Leather, Towing Package etc.) from a local individual. The body and interior are in great shape the only problem is that it has 170,000 miles. He's asking $4500 for it (That''s well bellow KBB). Do these go "forever"? To have that many miles I'd expect it to be A LOT of highway miles. What do you guys think? Thanks!
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Find a mechanic that specializes in Isuzu Troopers and take the 97 Trooper to be inspected. Pay particular attention to the engine / transmission since these are items that are most expensive to repair. Also, ask to talk with the mechanic that has been doing the maintenance to get any clues to possible upcoming expensive maintenances.
    That said, I think Troopers are fully able to go a half million miles. The chassis is very solid. The suspension is easy and inexpensive to upgrade (I suggest OME suspension upgrade kits) so it rides like new.
    There isn't a towing package for the Troopers that I am aware of, just a hitch. Some people add an axtra transmission cooler from a third party. Ask how heavy the trailer and how often the towing, heavy ( >3500Lb.) towing miles count double for wear on the tow vehicle.
  • mmorgalmmorgal Member Posts: 1
    I would not buy another product from this company. My daughter had a 2000 rodeo, and for no reason the engine siezed up. Oil was changed every 3000 miles, and the oil just left the block. No leaks, no oil on the tail pipe. I have read many stories about this happening, and no hel fron them.
  • bizeebbizeeb Member Posts: 1
    We have been offered to purchase a 1998 Trooper that is in good physical condition, one owner but it has a lot of miles on it. It has 160+ thousand miles. It has started using a little oil. It has the 3.5 engine. The asking price is $3,000.00. Is this a reliable car for a teenage boy?
    BTW many of the miles are miles driven on Hwy from Arkansas to Alabama and then Alabama to Florida and also day to day work.
    Thanks,
    Debbie
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I can relate. I had a 2001 Rodeo and the engine head gasket failed destroying the engine. Luckily I was covered under the powertrain warranty, though it took 4 weeks to get my vehicle back. Other than that, I really liked the vehicle. Ya never know.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I had a 98 Trooper myself. The problem I had with it was the computer failed and it cost $800 to replace. I would have the truck checked out and if the mechanic ok's it, I would go for it. It is a tough truck for sure, but be aware, it cannot be driven like a car as they have a high center of gravity and will roll over if he tries to drive it like a sports car.
  • packedfunkpackedfunk Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like daughter abused vehicle as any teen would do.
This discussion has been closed.