Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Events

13»

Comments

• sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Plan ahead for ZuZoo VI! May 14-17 in Moab, Utah. If you haven't been there, it is 4WD heaven. Well worth the trip. And, you can combine it with Arches National Park (just a few miles down the road), Canyonlands National Park, whitewater rafting, mountainbiking, you name it. All in some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere!

http://zuzoo.org

Last year I think we had about 95 vehicles.

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I am about 70/30...I got clearance last week, but will have to confirm with the tower if there is something going on this weekend.
    Also, I think that next time we go out, we should just pack lunch and find a cool place to eat. We lose a good 2 hours each time breaking for lunch and re-grouping.
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    fyi, there looks to be a monty/isuzu Tellico run brewing. IF anyone is interested in going to tellico, there will be a run either the 7 or the 14th. Speakup if you interested!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well now that race season is over, I can get back to doing some PB runs. Looks like the next one will be sometime in Mid-January. Any interest in here?

-mike
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    I was in Charlotte NC this week at a trade seminar and decided to visit Uwharrie. I stopped at the Amoco station to pick up a map and the manager noticed my Trooper. He asked if I was part of the group that meets each year. He was very complimentary of the Isuzu owners and said that they enjoyed seeing the group each year.

The main roads were open so I checked out the campgrounds and hiked a few of the closed ORV trails. Road crews were grading and adding gravel to the main drives. There was a small group camping with horses. Remembering my 4X4 etiquette, I turned off my motor to let them pass. They were waiting for another rider and waived me forward. Other than this group, the forest was empty. It looks like an excellent place to off-road.

A question for Mike and others familiar with this area. In Georgia most trails are ATV, mountain bike, or truck specific. I noticed that these trails are multi-use. Does this cause a problem on crowded weekends? How do you handle the sections of the trail that intersect horse paths?

Hopefully I will make it this April. Do you guys usually stay at arrowhead campground? It looks like it would fill up quickly. When would I need to reserve a spot? Has anyone considered requesting one of the group sites for that weekend?

Hope to see you there.

Lee
    Cool! Yep we are booking 3 BIG sites now. If you are coming I'll put you down in my site.

On the weekends the ATVs and Motorbikes compete with us, but it's usually not too bad. They usually like us cause we aren't typical red-necks like the Big-3 4x4ers are.

We'll be staying down at Arrowhead, and already I'm making friday-night dinner, and I know of at least 2 or 3people making Sat night dinner. We usually do a huge cooking thing with tents and more food than you can imagine!

:)

Hope to see you down there.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Please tell me about what my kids (3,6,8yr girls) can expect to get out of the Uwharrie trip? Are there kids activities nearby? It will be easiest to attend if I make it a family event.
    Is there a breakdown of each day's events like time of day on a certain trail?
    If we arrived middle of saturday afternoon and stayed till lunch on Sunday would that fit in?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Doubtful that I could make it, but boxtrooper's idea of bringing small kids got me wondering if we, too, could make it a family trip. Our little girl will be 2 in May. She loves climbing and jumping around, so my guess is she'd enjoy off-roading!
    Will small children be safe to join on the off roading? I guess the answer is it is up to the parents. How will I get my kids interested to watch a bunch of Isuzus climbing hills? Do the offroad events stay in one place long enough for the kids to get out and climb around?
    I just updated the http://isuzu-suvs.com site with the pertinent uwharrie info in the events section.

As for kids: You'd probably want them to stay inside the vehicle while offroading, being out and about could be potentially dangerous if a vehicle slides or goes out of control. Near the campsite however there is a lake and picnic grounds, playground etc. No real "attractions" other than the Uwharrie National Forest.

Scheduel: Usually we wake up, make breakfast and then hit a "morning" trail and return around 1pm for lunch either at the outpost of the sites (we usually break up some going to the outpost some to the site) then they have an afternoon run that lasts til 5pmish. Then we have dinner and there is sometimes a "night" run as well. I usually skip the afternoon run and help prepare the food for dinner :)

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    registration is now open for ZuZoo VI in Moab, Utah!

zuzoo.org
    To uwharrie this evening! Hopefully I'll catch up with some of you there! I'll have plenty of pics to post of Isuzus doing what they do best... Yippie.

-mike
    What will be going on at Uwharrie Saturday Night or Sunday morning? I want to go out and see some of the activities, Sat is my Trooper has soccer duty. I might be able to get out there as early as 5pm Saturday with a couple hours daylight left. How will I find the Troopers?
    Today in NC it is sunshine and 82degF.
    Well 5pm we'll probably be preparing for dinner which you are welcome to attend, it's usually a culinary delight. Just go to the arrowhead campground and look for the big mass of troopers/isuzus. Sat night there will likely be a night-run as well, which is always fun. Sunday AM the Yankees will be heading out around 10am.

-mike
    What will be going on at Uwharrie Saturday Night or Sunday morning? I want to go out and see some of the activities, Sat is my Trooper has soccer duty. I might be able to get out there as early as 5pm Saturday with a couple hours daylight left. How will I find the Troopers?
    Today in NC it is sunshine and 82degF.
    May 17-18

A group of trucks from NY/NJ will be caravanning down on Friday night. We plan to wheel saturday and maybe sunday morning. Post up for more details.

-mike
    how long is the drive from NY/NJ?
    It's about 550 miles from Staten Island. You can mapquest it to Eldorado, NC or Troy, NC.

-mike
    I'm out...if I could do it Friday-Sunday I might be able to swing it, but I am down to only 4 days left this year outside of scheduled vacations. Any 3 day weekends won't be for me :(
    Well plan on a 3 day weekend next April and/or Oct Generally we do a big east coast event at uwharrie for a 3 day weekend in Oct and April every year.

-mike
    I will be up for a paragon trip if there is ever another one?
    Is there going to be a get together? Where to meet? I will be driving out Saturday and returning home very late Saturday night due to other Sunday stuff already scheduled. How early will people start arriving Saturday? Is there a particular place to meet?
    Everyone is arriving Thurs night/Friday AM running trails on Friday and Saturday. Usually the first run of the day is between 9-10am departure from Arrowhead campground. They'll be staying there. Sat night they are doing a pig roast.

-mike
    The weather has been rain for two days, but they say it will just be cloudy on Friday, small chance of rain Saturday. It has been a cool wet year, lots of fast green growth, lots of soft soil, and it's peak season for an expected bumpercrop of CopperHead snakes.
    I finally went there. We arrived with the whole family, 5 seats filled in the Trooper at around 5:30 pm Saturday night. We had a lot of other stuff to do that day at home.
    Upon arrival, I asked for directions to a fun not too dangerous trail that we could do before dark. In a half hour I had 6 other rigs and me headed toward "SlagPile" I think that it the name. The track was muddy, but the rain had stopped early that morning. I was very impressed with the number and height of the burms to go over. There were several places where the group stopped a while: A big rock photo op, a foot deep mud wallow with a 45 degree rise coming out, a deep pit in the center with steep sloped sides and trees very close, and a few steep spots with boulders in the middle.
    My bone stock 5-spd 2001 Trooper-S with Bridgestone AT-REVOs 255/16 size did pretty well. I never spun the tires since I never lost traction too badly, I did slide sideways in a few places thankfully the slides were predictable so I was ready for them.
    I wished for my OME springs and extra 1.5 inches of clearance under the middle. I also could have made good use of a larger size tire.
    There was a Jeep CJ with MS stree tires that the group was very concerned about getting stuck so they put him between two of the bigger better equipped trucks to be able to pull him through. There was noone concerned about my Trooper making it through, except my wife and kids that is.
    Uwharie was a lot of fun and only 2 hrs away. For the kids to get to bed we headed home at 8:30 right when we emerged from the trail. Including a stop at Golden Corral in Asheboro we made it home by 11:30pm.
    Was anyone else on this discussion there this weekend?
    Bummer. I always make uwharrie but couldn't make it this year! :(

Slag Pile is cool! :)

Too bad you guys couldn't stay for dinner. I heard the pig roast was oustanding!

-mike
    I might also go since I know a guy who has an Exterra that is going. His has a 3 inch body lift and lots of other mods. My Trooper is still stock.
  • russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    two years ago was the last post???
    My kids are keeping me busy, I went back to street tires and have been on child taxi duty these two years. I did take them to Uwharrie, but the trails made the wife and kids afraid and tired and they had to make a pee break in the woods etc.. They don't like what they have been calling "Car Hiking". They crawl under my Trooper occationally to report on how much Uwarrie is still being caried around. They love to ride in the Trooper, I'm just busy being a dad right now. At least I still have my Trooper, the boat was sold though, too hard to find time to use it, and rather let someone else pay to maintain it, I'll buy another boat later.
    Bought an Armada to tow the racecar and soon i'll have a 25 foot boat. Hopefully will be down at uwharrie soon towing one of the other isuzus down with me.

-mike
    Did someone sell the Trooper discussion with its 11000+ messages away from this forum?
    I usually check the Trooper discussion daily, now its gone.
    My daughter's tribe and I will be building a boat this spring. We will make a kit ahead of time then asemble it on a Friday night and race it with 9 dads and 10 daughters aboard under paddle power Saturday morning. The boat is modelled after this boat plan:
    http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/clarenceriverdory/index.htm
    Just jammed up at work. Barely getting time to read the forums anymore, even at night with work/kids/etc.

Still have my '99 Trooper, but TOD is shot, I get 4wd hi and low though...and about 9 mpg even when 4wd is off.

I am trying to decide if it is worth the $$ to fix it. It is just a station car and I use it in the snow. I don't have confidence to take it more than an hour away right now. I figure if I am going to get 9 MPG I might as well get a Titan or F250. Right now I am not doing much with it.
    Hello Isuzu 4X4 people, I would like to make a sand trip on the beach in NC this year. I have not done a significant amount of deep sand driving since 1986 when I got stuck for 12 hours in the dessert of Western WA. So, I would like to have the safety in numbers of a group trip.
    Should I get 275/70R16 tires for staying on top of the sand better?
    Should I first pick a date and place before asking if anyone is interested?
    At Uwharrie, all that is needed is to drive through the camps once and you can arrange a group trip to one of the 4X4 trails there and the other drivers will go to great effort to help you. I wonder if that same friendly hospitality exists at the beach?
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper
    Hmm interesting. I haven't been to Uwharrie in a while. We need to plan another trip down there!

I'd be up for some beach driving in NC, as a passenger since I don't have a suitable off-road SUV anymore.

-mike
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    The best tip I know is keep only 10 lbs of air pressure in your tires and you will be good to go on the sand. You should either plan on taking a compressor and a good tire guage or know where to get aired back up nearby before hitting the road as you don't want to drive any distance with the low air pressure. It is amazing how well this works.
This discussion has been closed.