Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    kranjec1kranjec1 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the comment. I lived in Livonia (five mile and farmington area) during high school days and can only imagine how traffic is now. Tampa driving does involve a lot of stop and go, with mucho breaking. However, if you are around 20 mpg, I can't imagine Tampa traffic resulting in almost 6mpg less per gallon. I've heard about the PCM recall and will follow up. I'm hoping, probably unrealistically, that it's a simple computer type problem with a quick fix. Tires inflated ok 35/36 psi on 16 inch Dunlops, everthing else on van ok. Anyways, thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    pounce8pounce8 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a DX (that's all they had left- wanted an ES) and the ride to me felt a little more truck like than I wanted, so I got the 2000 MPV ES instead. I also wasn't willing to pay the price they wanted. I think in several months the deals will be better. I couldn't wait to dump my 626 though. I thought the leather seats in the ES Tribute I got to sit in were more comfortable than the MPV. I like the cargo space in the van over the Tribute, as well as the ability to haul 6 people over 4. For me the choice came down to a smoother ride in the MPV, and the fact that I got more car for the price at the time. It was an agonizing decision however, as I had waited all summer to see the Tributes before making a decision.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    here is a link to the Tribute topic in SUVs.

Mazda Tribute

KarenS
    Vans host
  • Options
    tmbnormtmbnorm Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of the proper tire pressure for the 16" Dunlop tires on the MPV LX? The side of the tire says 52 PSI maximum. Thanks for any help.

Also, has anyone tried the lubricant X-1R? Does it actually do anything or is it snake oil?

Thanks
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Watch out, I just had a quad shot, so you've been warned...

Here's my take on fuel mileage. I'll probably ramble, so forgive me.

Tboner and I both have (I had) the 2.5 duratec in Contours. I drove the bejesus out of my Contour with a 5 speed, and always (no, really) got 20 mpg in the city. I figured there were two throttle positions on the car: on and off. (Tb, if you want gobs of power in the duratec, find a Roots blower or Turbonetics T4 turbo, and hang on. It'd probably be cheaper than a 3.0 transplant)

Since I've owned two cars with the 2.5 engine, I'll try and make a comparison. Gearing, cd (coefficient of drag) figures and weight are the big differences here between the MPV and Contour.

I think the Contour tips the scales at around 2900lbs, vs the MPV at 3640lbs, so it'll have to work approx. 24% harder. You could say that you should expect 24% lower gas mileage from the engine, all things being equal. That would give you an expected 16mpg (the Contour's rated at 20mpg city).

I don't think gearing or drag numbers are going to change mpg's for city driving. You spend too much time ac/decelerating, so I guess the differing factor between the two vehicles with the same motor is weight.

So, last weekend, I observed how Mrs. Javadoc drives the MochaVan. I have to say that she drives it with a heavy right foot. She says the van feels sporty (she's used to driving a long line of sports cars...spoil't) and so she drives it that way. We are seeing 17.5 to 19.5 in town with her leaden foot. She wants another MPV, with awd and the 3.0, btw.

In contrast, our Volvo 850 Turbo with its 275 hp (Tb...it weighs 3100lbs...grinning) inline-5 is rated at 19mpg city, and I have to nurse the thing to get 17 mpg, 14 if I drive it like I drove my Contour. So, that car is definitely sensitive to a heavy foot. Of course, a turbo cramming air/fuel into the combustion chambers does nothing for mileage. It has quite a different torque curve than the MPV, as it has tons of it down low, and you don't have to rev past 2500 rpm, unless you want to get a ticket/go to jail. I consider the added fuel bill a fair trade to the added fun-factor.

So, what does this all come down to? I doubt the MPV's engine is very sensitive to the manner in which you drive it in-town, except for hills. The motor is pretty small, and can't suck *that* much fuel into it's small combustion chambers. The Volvo's cylinders are larger (each), and suck in more fuel, hence lower observed mileage and the greater variation between my light/heavy foot driving on the Volvo.

I agree that 15mpg is fairly low for the new MPV. That's worse than we saw last winter with 10% MTBE and warming the van up after work everyday for 15 minutes. Our mileage has increased at certain increments: at 5,000miles and again at 10,000miles. If you've got a van that's well run-in (10k+ miles) and still swilling fuel like an Aussie with two pitchers of Fosters, then something's up. Either it's a fuel additive, or something else. I'd wonder if the CA emission cars have worse mileage, but I don't think so (Julyar?). But, mileage will vary, as they are fond of saying.

--Javadoc
  • Options
    kranjec1kranjec1 Member Posts: 20
    dunlop 16" : 35psi, according to last MAZDA recall on tire pressure stickers for door jam and owners manual

JAVADOC: pretty soon I'll quit rambling on fuel mileage, however, reading your last post, it appears that you agree that 14 to 15 mpg is not up to factory specs. My question to you: As I stated earlier, my es was manufactured in sept or oct of 99. Does this make it an early production MPV? If so, I think I'll ask dealer service to check PCM. Thanks
  • Options
    kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    To cinka1 on 2001 Engine query. I suspect that it's just wishful thinking on the part of the dealer, but there is some logic behind the 30 more HP engine claim. The Contour SVT has a version of the Duratec 2.5 that gets 200 HP vs. 170 for the standard Contour engine - and also gets slightly better mileage!

I hope there is some truth to this, as the main thing that has kept me from getting the MPV to date has been the lack of power (without a corresponding increase in gas mileage).

It looks to me like Mazda - or Ford - decided that they could cut corners and put in an engine that was not well suited for the MPV, and was in good supply, and no one would notice. If you look at most of the reviews, both car buff magazines and consumer oriented magazines and newspapers, they noticed.

Any car requires compromise to keep cost down, but I feel think the MPV made a few bad decisions. After the 1994 debacle where the MPV was cited by the IIHS for worst performance ever in the bumper test, you'd think they'd have spent a few extra dollars on a functional bumper. While several posters here seem to be more than satisfied with the engine performance, it's taken it's knocks in the automotive press - as painfully slow (for a Minivan, not a hot rod) and mileage isn't so hot either.

A little more spent on these and a few other things (e.g. driver footwell protection in crash test, 4 wheel discs) and MPV would be selling for healthy premium and not a discount.
  • Options
    kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone bought the rear spoiler? Did you have it installed after purchase, did you paint it to match, and how much did it cost? The brochure says it keeps the rear window dust free. Is this true? I wash the van, then drive someplace only a few miles away and the rear window is covered with dust.

Plus.......it looks pretty cool!
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    ... in your childs college fund, that is my opinion. If you are not careful you will end up with this

Of course, this is just my opinion :)

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    That you can turn an MPV into a Toyota Sienna with the addition of a spoiler!
  • Options
    will move the other side of the car as well :)

TB
  • Options
    canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 and had the transmission fluid switched to Mobil 1. Any updates on the K & N filter possibilities? Other fairly simple/reasonably priced modifications that add horsepower/torque? Thanks for any advice based on your experience. Cheers.
  • Options
    marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    ..can you give us feedback on the effect of switching to synthetic tranny fluid? altho i said i was planning to do so several posts ago i wasnt thinking of doing it so soon while the original fluid didnt need replacement. but if you think it improves on the shifts i might do it sooner.
  • Options
    dispatch1dispatch1 Member Posts: 30
    We opted for an ES a few months ago because it had leather. I have 4 kids, so for me it was a no brainer - it's alot easier to keep clean (IMHO).
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I have a 6 year old and an 8 month old and my wife drives the van. We have a White LX with the tan cloth that we picked up in February 2000. We first put the plastic runners on the carpeting and later, because my wife couldn't deal with plastic, we went to a second set of rugs. As light as the coloring is, the wife has been successful in not really dirtying the carpeting or the seats. Yes, there are rules about no eating in the car and we try to get the kids to clean their feet but so far, dirt hasn't been an issue.
  • Options
    evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Keep in mind that the MPV has leather *trimmed* seats. Only the center panel is leather. The outer panels are vinyl.

We have the leather trimmed seats and an 8-year old. So far, we haven't really had to test how well they repelled spills and the like. My car (not the van, but also leather seats) passed the gum test already. I think the leather would be quite nice for your average messes: ketchup, soda, gum, Mocha, crayons, etc... :)
  • Options
    canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    I decided to go with the Mobil 1 tranny lubricant because I'm concerned about the longevity of the transmission - it seems a bit strained saddled to the somewhat underpowered 2.5 duratec. Also, we made a big mistake IMHO in not opting for the 4 Seasons package - which with the transmission cooler would provide some additional protection. I honestly believe that the transmission shifts more smoothly since the Mobil 1. I'm also glad to know that, since the Mobil 1 won't get so thick in winter weather (coming soon to central Pennsylvania) the tranny should fare better. Since it cost about $150 to have it done, it's possible that my observations of improvement are simply wishful fantasty. I can tell you this - When I travel on hills (and there are a lot of them around here) the tranny does not shift around as much as it did before. This is a big relief. It could be, however, that as things are really "breaking in" and I'm getting more accustomed to learning the "style" of driving the van, I'm sensing a change that isn't really objectively there or would be there even if I hadn't switched to the Mobil 1. fyi - we currently have 6000 miles on the van. I switched to Mobil 1 in the motor and tranny at about 5700. Hope this helps.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    ..i went to mobil1 on my engine about 2 months ago when i needed my 1st oil change but stopped short on the tranny. i thought it rather a waste to change when it wasnt on sched. but the engine oil change did seem to make the engine smoother so i was left wondering if i should have gone on with the tranny oil. hmmm.... i might go on with it someday if i can convince myself to shell that much dough.
  • Options
    cinka1cinka1 Member Posts: 30
    Can't believe I'm gonna do this... I got the financing approved, got an okay offer but lousy trade in. So I am gonna wait for the 2002 MPV with the larger motor. I decided to get an extended warranty on our '95 Windstar - I know - I hear you all laughing out loud now! Haven't had any trouble with it until this summer, blown head gasket, covered in full under Ford's extended warranty but am worried about transmission. I wanted to keep my new MPV for the long haul and knew I should wait for the 3.0 to make it my perfect dream machine, but it was a very hard decision to make. Since we couldn't get a trade in offer that was, IMHO, reasonable, we decided to drive the heck out of the ford. We bought the Windstar during it's debut year in '95 and have regretted it, just can't bring myself to doing that again. See you folks next year. Thanks for all of your comments.
  • Options
    leosalvleosalv Member Posts: 2
    Just got my MPV LX. Driving it from stop to 40 mph i feel the transmision revving and not shifting seamlesly. Is this normal for the MPV? Also the engine is a little noisier then I expected. Need advice before running back to dealer.
  • Options
    dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    I concluded the same regarding holding off for now for the larger engine MPV for a number of reasons. IMHO, we will be glad we did. Mazda puts that engine in or I will not own one.
  • Options
    blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    There are two things that may be adding to the rougher acceleration you are reporting.

1. This van definitely prefers a lighter touch on the pedal. We call it "babying" the pedal. Helps alot.

2. The van has a very distinct break-in period which is more noticeable than on other vehicles I have bought. You should see a big improvement after the first 1000 (more or less) miles. Babying the pedal during this time will further help.
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I believe it's also known as "feathering" the throttle pedal :-)

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    leosalvleosalv Member Posts: 2
    I'll try it. Again thanks.
  • Options
    almasyalmasy Member Posts: 5
    It's also known as "nursing" the pedal.
  • Options
    jtljammersjtljammers Member Posts: 1
    Please...enough with the small engine already. This is a SMALL van. We've had our Y2K MVP LX for several months and a few thousand miles and the engine is certainly adequate (if I wanted a street rod I'd buy one). Personally, I do not like leather seats so we went with a "loaded"
    up LX model and added the video entertainment system after-market (flip down/ i.e. Rosen).
    We really love the van, and our daughter loves the video system on long trips to see family. We had a MAJOR accident involving ketchup and assorted fast foods, but the light tan interior cleaned up flawlessly. So, don't panic and pay premiums for leather if you really don't want it.
    I do have one complaint - gas mileage. My '98 Explorer gets better gas mileage. I know our MPV isn't yet broken in, but WOW...it's never seen a pump it does'nt like.
  • Options
    pbourgpbourg Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading this topic for months now, preparing to buy a new MPV. I held out for a larger engine until now, but decided to go ahead with the 2.5L. It is beautiful and fits my needs perfectly--not too big, not too small, just right! I got a good deal in the Maryland suburbs of DC from Darcars in Silver Spring. They took my first offer of several hundred under invoice plus tax and tags without batting an eye--maybe I should have tried harder, but I got the runaround at other local dealers, and walked out on one a few days prior that had the nerve to ask MORE than the price on a sale tag on the vehicle--said it was an old sale, and it was still over invoice. Couldn't have done it everyone's advice in this topic. Thanks!
  • Options
    cotton6cotton6 Member Posts: 4
    What is a good price for the MPV LX -4 seasons,
    security package, rear a/c, and roof rack?
    Invoice price of 22,500. is about the best any local dealer in the DC,MD,VA area is willing to do. Is this a good deal? Or should we wait until the 2001's. Will there be that much of a price differentiation and will there be a problem with supply/demand? We would like to make a purchase in the next month if we can get a 2000 MPV LX below or around 20,000. Is that a reasonable price?
  • Options
    dmchyladmchyla Member Posts: 8
    I don't know if you'll get down to 20K, you might get to $21K with incentives. We just bought ours for $100 over invoice (see cruisers club for details, but it's an LX/Touring/rear air), and the choice of $1000 cash back or financing, we took the financing. Invoice on ours was around $23K. This is in WI, I don't know about the east coast. Good luck.

I'm guessing the 2001 would be about $250 higher invoice, no incentives for a while.
  • Options
    tgat29tgat29 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone say if i got a good deal....I got the 2000 MPV LX with LX TOURING, GFX PACKAGE, 6 CD PLAYER, ROOF RACK...for the price of 21,800...

Some feedback if that wwas a good price please....

Just ordered it from POPLAR in Brooklyn NY...
  • Options
    rgarskergarske Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2000 Forest Green MPV so far happy with van, but too early to tell. I noticed in manual that the oil filter needs a special tool to tighten the filter. Has anyone done the oil change themselves or has Mazda created a monopoly on this? Thanks
  • Options
    I'm just guessing, as I have yet to put our van up on ramps, but I think that's a load of crap. If I can reach it, I can tighten it by hand. I can't imagine what special tool would be required to tighted an oil filter. My guess is that this is a liability thing.
  • Options
    modiecastmodiecast Member Posts: 8
    I just got off the phone with a "friend" I have at Mazda (real reliable) and he told me the following about the 01 MPV's.

1. They should hit the dealer showrooms in November. The NLEV engine (160 h.p.) will be standard in all states, so that means a 10 h.p. reduction for everyone living in a non NLEV state. I reduction that will hurt the already underpowered motor.

2. Recognizing the need for a bigger engine, starting in the second quarter of 01' (sometime between April and June) the 2.5 will be replaced with the 3.0 200hp Duratec engine. It will be a mid-year run change along with some other minor changes to equipment. He said that they are getting tons of complaints about the lack of power in the 2.5 and they are "scrambling" to get the 3.0 going. As a side note, he believes, and I agree, that current owners with the 2.5 will take a bath on resale value when the 3.0 is introduced.

That's what I know. As bad as we want an MPV, we will wait until the new engine appears. The van should be a real pocket rocket with the 200 h.p. motor.
  • Options
    One more thing, he did mention that the supply of 2.5's is really low. The fact that Ford has discontinued the Contour/Mystique line in the US for 01' might explain that since it is the only US car Ford uses the engine in. Maybe they are stopping production of this motor in the U.S.
  • Options
    byteboxbytebox Member Posts: 1
    I have been prompted to re-post this to this forum. I have a 2000 MPV which had factory installed Yokohama tires. We have just had the tires replaced due to chunks of rubber coming out of the tread -- at 15,000 odometer miles these tires looked as if they had been eaten. I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel while driving on the freeway and checked the front treadwear. Considering what is happening with Firestone, et al., is anyone else experiencing this problem with their tires?

I have reported this to the DOT.
  • Options
    I think there will always be people that don't want the larger engine. I doubt that from a fuel economy standpoint it will be better and the van with the larger engine will undoubtedly cost more to purchase. The fact of the matter is, notwithstanding all the disbelievers, the car is not underpowered. It's not a pocket rocket but if that's what you want, you shouldn't be looking at minivans.
  • Options
    Simply put, the van is underpowered in today's marketplace. On flat roads with light loads, you might find the power to be adequate, and I respect that, but my insider tells me that they have received literally thousands of complaints from current owners, besides those calls inquiring about a bigger engine from potential buyers, about engine performance. The 0-60 mph numbers I have read here and in various national publications make it one of, if not the slowest mini vans available today. And, it is very likely that the larger engine will in fact deliver better fuel economy to the average non-hot rodding driver because it does not need to work nearly as hard. Both engine and transmission life should be extended as well. That said, this is a great van and if they were never going to come out with a more powerful engine, I'd probably buy one today. But, since a more powerful alternative will be available in the next 9 months, I for one will wait.
  • Options
    brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    PLEASE stop already w/complaints on this motor!!

Those folks unhappy w/performance need to remember this is a minivan (NOT a Porsche Boxster). I've driven BOTH ODY (has 3.0 L)and MPV (recently purchased a '00 ES) and I found overall performance between the two very minimal. Frankly, I thought ODY felt more truck-like. I find acceleration & handling of the MPV to be quite adequate.

I totally disagree w/"modiecast" thinking those of us w/2.5L motor will "take a bath" at resale time. I can't imagine a dealer telling me at trade-in time, "...we could give you a lot more had you waited for that 3.0L motor".

I seriously doubt that Mazda will opt for a mid-year motor swap. I bet they will wait until 2002 to address that. Don't forget that Ford has a major stake in Mazda & with all their probs related to F'stone/B'stone tire recall, they've got much higher priorities than addressing a motor swap.
  • Options
    While the Contour is dead, the Mondeo in Europe is still alive and well and the Cougar which also uses the 2.5L is still alive, but on life support. I don't know if Mondeos Use Cleveland built Duratecs or not, but if they are shipped to Japan, why wouldn't they also be shipped to England or Germany for the Mondeos there?

TB
  • Options
    derekyeuderekyeu Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

Can someone recommand a Mazada dealer in Los Angeles area? Someone who got a good deal without spending too much time and energy to haggle.
  • Options
    cotton6cotton6 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all of the information on the new MPV's. None of the dealers we have spoken with will give us a straight answer when confronted with the question of the engine. unfortunately it is only confusing us even more. We like everything about the MPV but now that we are aware that the dealers are receiving numerous complaints, this poses another element of concern for us. We are in the process of negotiating and when I mentioned to the dealer what I had read, he was not even concerned about it, and he didn't even come down in his price. If the MPV has such a bad reputation for it's engine, why aren't the dealers ready to negotiate a quick markdown? I certainly don't want to be overpaying for something that will be worthless in a few months.
  • Options
    tmbnormtmbnorm Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I bought a 2000 Sand Mica LX with the touring package. The van did not have the fog lights installed.

I am interested in adding the fog lights. Is this something that I could do myself and save money over the dealer? I am pretty mechanically inclined.

Or should I take the van back to the dealer?

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    You should wait. This way you'll be able to pay a lot more and have a van that isn't worthless. I don't think anyone here would want you to have a worthless van.
  • Options
    tmbnorm, I received a quote for the fog light package from Roebuck Mazda, $229.82 plus shipping. I think I am going to install aftermarket fog lights, Hella Micro FF fog lights are $113.90/pr including installation kit from Performance Products (www.performanceproducts.com). The Hellas appear to have the same "look" as the headlamps, and should fit perfectly in the factory openings. Depending on what comes with the Hella kit, I may order a factory fog lamp switch and try to use that, I assume that it will take some modification. I wasn't sure that I wanted to use the Hellas until I saw the price - the quality of light should be as good or better than factory, for half the price. I should be installing them in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to get under the van this weekend for the first oil change and will check out availability of mounting points, etc. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  • Options
    gbush1gbush1 Member Posts: 13
    Remember, the Mondeo came out first in Germany and spread from there. Ford of Europe uses its own line of engines. The 4 banger zetec was developed in Germany. So to answer your question, no, Ford of Europe does not use the engines from the states.
  • Options
    Gotta a guy working at Ford right now that tells me the 2.5L Duratec is built in Cleveland and sent to Europe.

Now, they may build 'em there too, but there is no reason for this guy to lie about this, so I tend to believe him.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    I looked at http://www.blueovalnews.com/plantguide.htm and that appears to also back up the notion that the Duratec (all flavors) is built in Cleveland, OH. I did not see any other locations for this engine's manufacture.

It is also old information as I believe it was published when there was talk of the 2.5L engine going into the Escape. (Or that part was just plain wrong.)

Still doesn't tell us if the 3.0L will find it's way into the MPV

:)

TB
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Here's a tidbit which I heard, that might interest you, being a Contour/Mondeo fan. Volvo is penning their next generation 70-Series cars on the Mondeo chassis, due out in the 2003 M.Y. FoMoCo was dictating that Volvo use the focus chassis, but Volvo wanted a larger pan to work from. Anyway, we're all one happy (disfunctional) family at Forvolzda.

Cheers!

--java
  • Options
    I just said FoMoCo, Volvo and Forvolzda in the same sentance and my wife smacked me, told me to wash my mouth out!

Cheers,
    TB
  • Options
    gbush1gbush1 Member Posts: 13
    I will call my friend who worked on the developement of the Mondeo and ask him in regards to the engines again. I lived in Germany when the car came out and he was an engineer at Ford of Germany. However, must admit the Duratec may be a US engine. 4 bangers are the norm for cars in that class over here. 6's are not common. I will let you know if I find out anything different.