Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Understand your reasoning. The Subey dealer here is offering leftover 04 Forester X automatics for $16,900 and wants close to $20k for an 05. Also offered me a nothing down, $249 a month plus tax lease on an 05 X automatic listing at $22,700 for four years and 48,000 miles with $470 down. The residual is 48%. Good deal?
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    You have to start the car with the parking brake already up for the lights to stay off.

Once the car is running pulling up the parking brake will have no effect on the headlights. At least this is my observation with my 2003.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    On my '99 Prizm, I can keep the headlights (including DRL) off if I have the handbrake up a notch when I start the car.

But on the 04 Vibe, NOTHING will keep them off. Thanks A LOT for ruining my night vision as I back out of my driveway. I really really really hate not being able to switch off the DRL's for short periods of time.

-Mathias
  • cmortoncmorton Member Posts: 15
    Montanafan, you are correct sir! I tried the flashlight idea and it worked perfectly. I going to see if I can construct a small covering that I can shine the flashlight into so that it won't be too much of a distraction (especially at the drive-in).

My Vibe is a 2004 base model, which was equipped with the Moon and Tunes and Power packages, automatic, and the same color body cladding. It listed at 19,000+ and I was able to get it around 16,000+. The driving position takes a bit of getting used to, but I really like the car. I also puchased a mat for the storage area and it does a good job of keeping things from sliding around.

What do any of you think about the floor mat quality?
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Focus offers a traction control option with certain prerequisites but not stability control. Ford discontinued what many regarded as a superb vehicle stability control system in 03, I believe.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    When I bought Vibe, because of minor "faux pax" in getting my paperwork right (wrong vin#...which caused me grief while transfering my tags) and the detail shop taking 3 hours to get the car ready, my dealer gave me a set of the rubberized ones made for my vehicle from Pontiac for my troubles. Very nice, very heavy. I think I'll like them even better when winter weather hits.

The standard floor mats are....well....pretty standard. They are no better nor worse than those you'd find in any Pontiac or Toyota.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    That's nice of them. I've had mine a month and I seem to be wearing a "hole" where my right ankle rests when it's on the accelerator. I wish it had extra padding there so that it wouldn't wear so fast. Any ideas on keeping the floormats looking good for a s long as possible?
  • focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    Is the GM Conquest still available for the Vibe?
    If so, how much is it now?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    IF you have any sort of rainy/snowy weather where you are, I highly recommend the rubberized mats from Pontiac.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ctdetctdet Member Posts: 8
    Yes it is. I bought a 2005 Base Vibe (5 Speed)this past Thursday in Wisconsin and got the $1000 conquest rebate on top of the $1500 rebate. To top it off I have $2800 on my GM Card Earnings and they have a $500 earnings bonus now if you redeem before end of Sept. I also had the GM Supplier Discount but was unable to use this with my GM Card Earnings. All in all I paid $12,900 (including tax) for the vibe. The only options I added were the Power Package Deal (Windows, Locks, Keyless Entry, Cruise). The price the dealer gave me prior to the discounts was $17,850.

So far after a few days I really like the car. I test drove the Corolla and Civic and being 6' 2" they were not big enough for me. I have so much head room and decent leg room with the vibe. The driver seat could have more (longer) support for the thighs, but after the first day I got used to it.

At this point I highly recommend the Vibe. It was a great deal for me and the 5 speed has decent acceleration.
  • jimmcknightjimmcknight Member Posts: 28
    - Sounds like you got a great deal on a great car! Congratulations, and keep us informed as to how things are going!
    I just bought a 2005 vibe. Are there any good web sites to get accessories either through GM or through 3rd parties? Things i would be interested in are:

1. Bike Rack for roof
    2. Cargo Net (is it worth it? does it work?)
    3. Carpet for back area to stop items from swaying around (does it work?)
    4. Rubber/all weather mats for the upcoming wisconsin winter
    5. Seat cover for rear seat (my 7 year old is pretty messy :-)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I use mine more than I thought I would. It works quite well at keeping stuff from sliding all over the place back there.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Be careful if you are going for the rear carpet mat. The 2005 Vibes with the Moon&Tunes package feature a subwoofer in the back which changes the shape of the floor. The current mats fits all the 2003s & 2004s and 2005s without the subwoofer. A new mat should be available this fall.

The rubber mats are great, fit right, look good.

Another thing to be careful of, is the factory mudflaps. From what I have read the parts books are confusing on the proper flaps. The 2004 Gray lower use a different flap the Monontones, such as you 2005. The 2003 flaps fit your 2005.
  • dannydanny Member Posts: 4
    What is the Conquest rebates?

Thanks,
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Conquest rebate is for current owners/lessees of a non-GM vehicle... the "conquest" being GM has taken you from the manufacturer you might have been otherwise been loyal to.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
    Do you use the cargo net with the carpet or just by itself. I do not have the rear carpet.
    Do you know if the rear carpet covers up teh tie down tracks and make them unusable?

Thanks,
    I used the Conquest rebate last week to purchase my '05 vibe. All you need is your title for your non GM vehicle. I had a 1992 Ford Taurus. It was a nice deal on top of all the other rebates/discounts.
    Thel, how much did they charge you for the cargo nets? I bought at cargo mat and the price was different at each dealership I called. The best price I got was $69.00.
    - Definitely covered under warranty. My 03 Vibe AWD was pulling, and the dealer ended up putting 2 new tires on it. It certainly could be an alignment problem, but it could also be uneven tire pressures or a bad tire, among other things, so take it in and let them figure it out. Let us know what the problem is and what is done about it - good luck!
  • oleterrywallacoleterrywallac Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2003 Vibe for a little over a year now. It is used mostly for taking my daughter to school (40 mile round trip) every school day; this summer included a 1000 mile trip, and a 300 mile trip. I got this car to do just the things listed above (especially the school round trip). My daughter was involved in the selection of the car; she liked the back seat better than that in the CRV. Getting almost 40 mpg on trips (over mountains). Would like a little more low end power, but really like the car (comfortable, good driving position, holds highway speeds easily) with the exception of the increasingly irritating matter of the dash display. Even with it lighted up, cannot see the gages AT ALL or with great difficulty when the sun is overhead.
    What does anyone feel is the best tire pressure for ride quality and performance in a Vibe?
    I just started hearing a loud rattling in my passenger side window when I go over bumps. I am taking my car into service tomorrow for an alignment issue and will have this looked at. Anyone have any experience with this type of issue before?

How good is Pontiac Service at solving these types of issues. This is my first time dealing with service on a warranty issue (alignment and rattle). Any advice / warnings for me?

Thanks,

Mike
    2005 Salsa 5 Speed
  • nichul37nichul37 Member Posts: 10
    I have noticed my front windows, when part way down, really move around a lot in the frame. I have also heard a rattling sound on the drivers side, but it wasn't until your post that I realize it could be from the window. I was going to have the dealer look at the window anyway. How did your service turn out?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yeah, the rattle when the windows are partly down has been pretty well documented on other websites. I have not heard of a case with the window in the full up position however.
  • grandmagrandma Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if this problem has been resolved. I just purchased a 2003 Vibe 2 weeks ago which is now in the shop for an extremely annoying rattle that is especially loud when I'm in gear and have my foot on the brake (stoplight, etc.). It sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger area, but I've rolled the window up and down with no changes to the rattle sound. The dealer is telling me they aren't hearing much of a rattle and that some rattling is normal. I can live with some noise, but this will drive me insane! Anyway, just wondering if you've been given any answers. Thanks!
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    sorry about that grandma. As the CEO of the NUMMI plant stated: "the Vibe is the worst car that has ever been assembled there." As a Corolla fan, I must agree. While my Vibe was one of the first AWDs off the assembly line back in 03, the car has performed well. I feel the interior quality is pathetic and will likely look awful as my 10 years of ownership roll on. I still have hope for all the Denso parts under the hood, and the '98 vintage Corolla engine and tranny are tried and true, so the Vibe should hold up mechanically. Rattles?, yep; I'll bet there will be plenty with the Vibe over time. Oh, and did I mention the worst paint job in the history of auto making???
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Someone told me today they are. This raises a question. If these vehicles are built on the same assembly line, which build quality standard would they be built to? One would almost think Toyota would almost have to lower the standard of the Matrix because Pontiac isn't able (or willing) to build up to Toyota's standard.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    JD Powers rated the NUMMI plant (the one they're built at, in Fremont CA where I live) pretty high. I wouldn't worry about either vehicle's quality.
    I don't think that's going to be enough info for me to base an opinion on about whether the Matrix's build quality is the same as what's come to be expected from any vehicle wearing the Toyota name badge. Frankly, a joint effort by Toyota and Pontiac is a little disturbing to me. In Toyota, you have a company that builds top notch vehicles in terms of build quality. Pontiac isn't known for the same, in fact, there's quite a build quality gap between the two companies. One of these companies had to make some consessions in order to go ahead with this joint effort. Was it Toyota or Pontiac making the consessions?
    The Pontiac Vibe is built by New United Motor Manufacturing Inc (NUMMI) in Fremont California. Nummi is a ten year old joint venture between General Motors and Toyota. It built the Vibe and Toyota Corolla on its car line. (There is also a Toyota Tacoma truck line at the plant). The plant also assembled the Toyota Voltz (based on the Vibe) for export to Japan. The plant uses Toyota production philosophy.

The Toyota Matrix is built by Toyota in their large Ontario Canada plant. The plant also builds other Toyota and Lexus products.

The Nummi plant has been a JD Power product quality award palnt several times over the last 10 years. Awards usually dominated by GM plants.

So they're not built on the same line. This answers my question.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    but Vibes are built at the same plant as Toyota Corollas, another model generally known for good build quality.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    My '04 Vibe bought in December of '03 already has 27,000+ miles on it. It is a base 5 speed model with only the options being ABS. I put a Matrix radio in it (About $25.00 on ebay) so I could have a cassette for library BOT's, and bought Celica rims (about $300.00 + frt WITH Tires)on Ebay to upgrade the look. It's great that Toyota parts fit so you can cross shop. It is really trouble free and seems to be holding up well with absolutely NO wear problems found.
    I get around 32-35 mpg.
    I wouldn't worry about the quality. Everybody gets a lemon now and then, but you can't knock a whole brand from the rants of a few. Remember that people who post here are the vocal minority.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I recently received a GMS supplier discount certificate (electronic #)and tried to used my GM points in conjunction with same ($2000.00 worth)and the dealer told me I could not use the points in conjuction with the GMS price. Yet,when I asked this question to CarMan, he stated I can use the points with aforementioned GMS price.Several other members in another car club have also used their points with same. I then called the GM card # and they stated i cannot use the points with the GMS price???? I am beginning to think I should try another Pontiac dealer???? Any suggestions.
      See post 2096 at Rebates and incentives under the Smart car buyer forum.
  • northernvibenorthernvibe Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 2004 AWD satellite silver Vibe way up here in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada in May of this year...let's just say it was no where near the $15,000 USD mark that I've been reading here...up here it does cost more than the Matrix but we found the Vibe looks better and sounds a lot better than the Toyota model.

I am relatively happy with its performance - the pep in the passing lane could be more powerful but with the rear seats folded, it holds lots of cargo. We bought a grey rubber-backed mat from Wal-mart to keep things in the back from sliding around...

To get to my point, we traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee in on it only because of the price of gas being so high and the Jeep's efficiency so low - right now, gas here is 98 cents a litre CDN (nearly $4/gallon CDN!!). Anyway, the AWD Vibe is supposed to get 31/41 mpg city/highway...I'm only getting about 16-18 mpg...anyone else finding this?? I've reached the 10,000 km break-in period that my dealer says it takes before the efficiency level is reached and have had two oil changes done at the dealership. Actually, it's getting worse mpg now than when I first bought it....

I plan to talk to the mechanics again really soon...I could've kept my Jeep if I wanted that mpg number!!!
    NV,
         I have read every vibe post under several different forums and belong to a Pontiac Vibe club and evryone seems to be getting in the high 20's, low 30's with their Vibes.Something just doesn't sound right. I would get back to the dealer lickety split..(that means darn fast)....If you email me I will give you the name of a very active PontiacVibe car club where you can get a lot of very useful info.
       nortsr@comcast.net
    You are confusing everyone that is why you are getting incorrect answers.

GMS if special pricing for GM Employees and their family.

Supplier pricing is available to employees of GM's suppliers. It is higher then GMS.

If you qualify for employee or supplier pricing, you need a specific GM Extanded Family card. If you do not have this card, you can not use your earnings with the employee or supplier program.

Now here is where I think you are at. GM employees can give a certificate/authorization to people under the GM In The Driveway program. This authorization allows to holder to purchase a car from a participating dealer at the supplier price, but not using the supplier program. Under this program you would be able to use the appropriate amount of regular GM card earnings because you are not using the supplier program , you are using the In The Driveway program.

Use all the correct terms and you will get all the correct answers from all the right people.
    - My '03 Vibe AWD was rated at 25 / 31 mpg. and that's about what it gets, although city driving and winter temps take it down toward 20-21 mpg. Was yours rated in km/gal by chance?
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    A year ago -- bought on Halloween -- I used "in the driveway" together with GM Card rebate to buy a Vibe.
    -Mathias
    If you work at a dealership, you must not work in sales. You are as confused as the first post.

1) There is no such animal as "GMS Supplier". There is "GMS" for GM Employees and there is a seperate plan for "Suppliers".
    2) I stated (and you confirm) that the GM Extended family card is the only GM Card that can be used with the Employee (GMS) program and the Supplier program.
    3) Any GM Card earnings can be used with the "GM In The Driveway" program.

I have spent alot (too much) time reading posts and links on the internet to keep these things straight. Check out the facts, if you do work at a dealership, then come back. No wonder us buyers have confusion if the "dealers" can't keep it straight.
    I am sure I will be able to negotiate at "invoice' so that way I know I will be able to use my GM points. Thanks for the info, although now I will try the dealer with GM in the Driveway info instead of the GMS info. Thanks again.
    Then it seems to me that we're all getting ripped off with the "excellent fuel economy" that's advertised...I mean, every post I've seen as well seems to be high 20s and low 30s when according the the GM site, we should be getting low 30s to low 40s:

(taken from http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/2005/pontiac/vibe/vibe_o- pti.html )
    "MPG (city/hwy/combined): 1.8L I-4 with VVT-I engine (base) - automatic: 34/45/39 manual: 36/48/40 AWD: 31/41/35 & 1.8L I-4 with VVTL-I engine (GT) - 31/42/35"

I got 21 MPG highway today and I'm having a fuel efficiency test done in the morning...they better fix it or explain something to me...
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Part of your problem, northernvibe, is that you are comparing your mileage to a rating based on Imperial Gallons that are 20% more than standard US gallons. Your mileage is still low though.

31 MPIG = 26 MPG
    41 MPIG = 34 MPG
    I realize the difference now, but as you said, it's still low.

So, after the fuel efficiency test today, it seems my Vibe is apparently doing 4.38 L/100km or 53.7 mpg (American)combined highway/city!!!! Excellent, hey??

How much it drops off with speed is amazing...we normally drive 110 km/hr (70 miles/hr)highway and only get 21 mpg but at 80 km/hr, it does 53 mpg?!?!? Since it was SO GOOD, the mechanic didn't check anything mechanical and seemed to blame it on the temperature, hills, environment, and so on - not the car...funny thing, we drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee the same way and got 15-17 mpg highway at 110 km????

Probably won't sacrifice the power of a Jeep for the measly mpg we save with the Vibe in a future purchase....unless we see significant savings in the next few years...most of my driving is city, lots of start/stop and hills so I guess that's it - definately not impressed...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if that fuel efficiency test was on a rolling dynamometer, perhaps you have a dragging brake that is eating into your mileage? If the only wheels turning were the fronts and the dragging brake is in the rear they wouldn't have been able to detect that if the back wheels were stationary...

...and BTW, I noticed back when I had my Matrix that the A/C would eat into the mileage more than other cars I have had in the past. So if you are one of those people that goes everywhere with the A/C running (remember it runs on defrost too), expect to lose about 3 mpg (U.S.) for that.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• trucker_18atrucker_18a Member Posts: 2
    I have just discovered that my 1984 Dodge Ram Mini Van, with the 2.2L Chrysler 4 cylinder is the same thing, in all engineerings, as the New 2003, 2004, and 2005 Chrysler Vibe. All owners take note, mine is a Classic, Yours is updated, and mine was Registered Originally as an RV, of which Chrysler only made 75, and the Vibe is obviously built with endurance in mind, as mine was. Congratulations!
  • trucker_18atrucker_18a Member Posts: 2
    I also meant to advise mine originally got 19 mpg. With 240,000 miles, I am getting nearly 16, on a new carb.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    "1984 Dodge Ram Mini Van" ??????????
    "Chrysler Vibe" ???????????

HUUUUUUUUUUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe current Vibe owners could improve their MPG by getting a new carb. Hmm?