Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    apatia : Vibe looks nothing like the Aztek. Maybe you were looking at an Aztek.

cayennered1 : I see what you are saying, but there are lots of bad cars that have come from Japan also so country of origin is irrelevant. My co-workers Mazda came from Japan and it's been a nightmare for them. You really have to look at each car model on an individual basis.
  • Have had several Pontiacs with the cladding and there are others in the family as well. Three family members work for GM (Delphi & Buick) so you KNOW what they are gonna drive. LOL.

My experience has been that sooner or later the paint begins to peel off the cladding & it then REALLY looks crappy. My 1993 Grand Am did this after about two years, my nieces 1995 Grand Am did too and my bro-in-law's Grand Prix literally "shed" all the paint off the side cladding & tops of front & rear facias. Of course all "were out of warranty" and GM would NOT do anything about it. I've noticed a lot of GM stuff in the lots at the mall parking & they all seem to do this sooner or later. I have a 2000 GMC Somoma & I'm watching that plastic painted trim VERY closely too.

hud :)
  • One of the reasons I am into the Vibe is the Toyota reliability. Does this new engine sludge issue effect the Vibe/Corolla too?
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    I think the sludge problems were only with the bigger Camry and SUV 4 and 6 cylinder engines, not the little 1.8L 4-banger found in the Celica and Corolla (though I could be wrong).
  • Not sure if it may make a difference to some but The Vibe is a 2003 and most of the cars being compared to it (ie Protege5) are 2002 models. Also on the Vibe Trim, I think it looks most like the Volvo XC Wagon.
    hpulley is right. The sludge problem was in the Toyota V6 engines, not the 4 bangers. The Vibe and Matrix should be fine.
  • Anybody know why the Vibe GT is listed at 21/29 for milage, and the Matrix XRS with 6 speed is 24/29? I cannot figure out why the Vibe GT city rating is so low.
  • The info is incorrect. Per Toyota's web site XRS w/Manual 22/29. Per Pontiac's web site Vibe GT 21/28.
  • This cladding thing is starting to make me nuts.

Isn't cladding simply plastic and if it's painted isn't it the same as painting the bumbers of your car which are also plastic. The concept that painted cladding will inevitably peel would seem to suggest that everyone's painted plastic bumbers would therefore, peel also.

Now if GM has defective paint work that causes it to peel that would be another story. It would also be a basis for a warranty claim whether the car is in or out of warranty. I know of many class action law suits involving chronic paint problems that effect certain vehicles.

But to make a long story short why put the cladding on the car. The majority of people prefer the monochrome look and you avoid possible issues of paint problems.
  • Sorry you're dissappointed in the Vibe's style. Strangely enough I actually find the Vibe's front end appealing even though it has that exaggerated Potiac look.

As to looking at the Matrix as an alternative, frankly I don't know how anyone can find the Matrix even remotely attractive. Looked at one the other day and even without the ground effects it looks downright awful. Actually looks like an elephant sat on the back of the roof. If you find the Vibe ugly than the Matrix would be hideous.
    Got my full 8-10 page VIBE brochure in the mail last night finally. Pretty slick piece of marketing and very different than the Matrix brochure which is large and almost newspaper like. I thought all 3 wheel choices looked fine and there are pictures of all the accessories. Only one I would be interested in is the ski rack. Looked at all the colors and the Salsa red with gray cladding looks best to me and my wife. Our other car is gray so I don't want another the same color.

Still don't have one to test at the local dealer. Will call again tomorrow. Apparently some Ontario dealers have them now.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    I agree with you that the Vibe looks better, trouble is, it doesn't look $2000 better than the Matrix....

Plus, I'm being told by a Pontiac Rep that the Monotone Pkg CAN'T be ordered on a GT....

geez....Pontiac is sure forcing people to the Matrix with it's pricing and that @#$%#$@% cladding.
    Spoke with a sales lady at the local Pontiac dealer about ordering a Vibe. She told me there was indeed negotiating room though I won't order until I test. I suspect if you can't get the same price you bring in the Matrix price and tell them to match it. I'm sure they will.

Monotone can be ordered with the GT. There is a picture of one in the brochure. Can't be ordered yet though as it's interim available.
    Even after I got the bottom line pricing on the Matrix and the Vibe from my buying service, there was almost a $2000 price difference.
    Same equipment? The list prices up here are about $2000 different, but Toyota will not negotiate and Pontiac has it's usual 8-10% markup over invoice built in. Hence I can probably get the Vibe I want for about the same as the Matrix with similar equipment. The Vibe will have power windows as a bonus since you can't get them on base Matrix.
  • I've yet to talk to anyone that thinks the Vibe is very exciting or "rad" (read butt ugly) at all. This includes a bunch of guys in the age group these things are supposed to be aimed at. Is it possible they have another Aztek on their hands? I think they do. Dealers are already discounting them. I really looked forward to the thing but once I saw it in the "metal" I was really disappointed to say the least. I think I'll go Proto !

hud :)
    Local dealer has 8 confirmed orders on the books. They won't get any in for at least a week. I doubt the Aztek had that many orders when it came out.

Vibe looks nothing like the Aztek. Maybe you were looking at an Aztek in error? The Vibe and Matrix were both big draws at the Canadian In't Auto Show.
  • There was a lot of activity around the Vibe when I went to the Auto show in T.O. too. Most of us that were exploring Vibe were in agreement that the Vibe looks way better than the Matrix. My dealer has also said that they can't wait to get them in, because of the considerable interest that has been shown in them. I can't see how any sane dealer would be discounting the Vibe.

hudrahead: What was it about seeing it in person that you didn't like? And you can't say the cladding because that isn't metal....
    Best prices I got on the Matrix XRS 6 speed is $20,639.00

Best price on a similarly equiped Vibe GT was $22,513.30

and the Matrix comes with Wheel Locks and an Auto Dimming mirror that aren't available on the Vibe (at least not as acutal factory accessories)
  • TupTup Posts: 200
    Well, The local Pontiac dealer hasn't sold their first Vibe yet, while the Toyota dealer has sold several Matrixes....but then he's had them a few weeks longer. I wonder if the Toyota dealer has more people looking at Matrixes since people are going to the dealer to see the new Corolla and then see some of the functional advantages of the Matrix. Also, with fewer models on the go, the Matrix may get more attention at the Toyota dealer than the Vibe will when there are soooooo many models on the lot at the Pontiac dealership.

Driving by the dealership with my father, who owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, I pointed out the Vibe and he said he didn't like the front end....he said it looked like the Aztek.

We own a Matrix (in black) but I don't really see the Vibe looking too much like the Aztek...it has a Pontiac look but it's not too bad. I also think the cladding will offer an extra degree of protection.

I think both cars are very solidly built. In Canada I don't think the price differences are as severe (except the AWD or GT) ...and the Vibe Matches the Toyota warranty....in the US....with the Vibe costing so much more and having only a 3 yr warranty will hurt sales.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    Yes, the base Vibe with Power Package is cheaper than the Matrix XR up here, plus I have a GM card. The Matrix base plus B Package is a bit less money but has fewer features as well.
  • clyde2000:Well, the cladding is a personal opinion. Some like it, some don't. My bggest objection was the gray plastic cheap looking (body color would help here) nature of it. As to the car as a whole I thought it looked "bulky" kinda "hunched-up". It also was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The Proto5 just seems to come off as a cleaner design tho I guess they are about the same size. I'd like to see them parked side by side to see how they actually stack up. This particular dealer had four of them as of a week ago and they were selling for MSRP then and since have ads in the paper for about $1000 off sticker. I called this morning to see if they had gotten any new colors in, NO and they still had the four in stock, no sale yet! Go figure !

hpulley4: I too ahve a GM card but daler said NO allowance
    is permissable on the VIBE yet, BUMMER !!!

tup: I thought both the Matrix & Vibe were both built on the same assy line @ NUMMI plant in California. Are they bolting them together in Canada too ? If they are can I buy one for 62 cents on the dollar ? LOL. Just kidding, we love you guys up there even if you did kick our butts on the ice in Utah LOL. Good on ya, eh.

hud :) :)
    Well, The local Pontiac dealer hasn't sold their first Vibe yet, while the Toyota dealer has sold several Matrixes....but then he's had them a few weeks longer. I wonder if the Toyota dealer has more people looking at Matrixes since people are going to the dealer to see the new Corolla and then see some of the functional advantages of the Matrix. Also, with fewer models on the go, the Matrix may get more attention at the Toyota dealer than the Vibe will when there are soooooo many models on the lot at the Pontiac dealership.

Driving by the dealership with my father, who owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, I pointed out the Vibe and he said he didn't like the front end....he said it looked like the Aztek.

We own a Matrix (in black) but I don't really see the Vibe looking too much like the Aztek...it has a Pontiac look but it's not too bad. I also think the cladding will offer an extra degree of protection.

I think both cars are very solidly built. In Canada I don't think the price differences are as severe (except the AWD or GT) ...and the Vibe Matches the Toyota warranty....in the US....with the Vibe costing so much more and having only a 3 yr warranty will hurt sales.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The Vibe is built ONLY at the Fremont, California plant, which also built the Prizm (discontinued) and builds Corollas, Voltz (the Vibe rebadged as a Toyota Voltz for sale in Japan) and the compact Toyota pickup truck.

All Matrices, meanwhile, are built in Canada. No Matrices built in the USA and no Vibes in Canada. Corolla is built both places.

Got that straight?
  • john: Yes, I think I got it, but it's kinda confusing, like the seven different ways you can order chili @ Steak & Shake !!

hud :) :)
    hud : I'm not sure how much I could get off the price, but I am waiting to test one before deciding to start the negotiations. My wife is also unsure as she is not keen on wagons.

Tup : Only vague similarity between Vibe and Aztek is the Pontiac look to the front. It's not really very similar though. 02 Aztek is much better than the 01, but it's still out there.
    Just read a review of the 2002 Aztek...not a glowing account:

http://pc99.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.hbs?myrec=121

Ya, I've seen that review. I think the Aztek is good for what it is, a mini van with SUV clothes on and some cool features. If Bob Lutz and the boys at GM can keep improving on the looks it would probably sell much better. The Rendezvous is selling very well. The lady I was talking to about the Vibe said they sell about 15-20 Rendezvous' a month right now. She said they sold 1 Aztek this month and zero last month. They had 6 Rendezvous' on the lot and 1 Aztek.
  • I agree with people saying that the Vibe looks absolutely nothing like the Aztek. It's the whole pontiac branding thing with signature styling cues. Would you say that BMW Z3 looks exactly like the M5? Of course not, but there are many similarities in the way they look. It's BMWs way of saying "Hey, I'm a BMW look at me!!" Pontiac is doing the same thing with their styling.

As for the cladding, I think it looks good unpainted and after feeling it at the Auto Show really don't think it's all that cheap. It gives it an SUV quality a la Ford Escape. I don't hear a lot of people knocking the Escape and apparantly its a sales hit. I did notice though that some of the concept photos had the cladding painted in a two-tone grayish color sort of like Subaru's Outback line. Maybe Pontiac intends on doing this in the future once they phase out the monotone availability.

The Aztek and the Rendezvous are both ugly in my opinion. They are poorly disguised minivans and frankly the Montana (especially now with the Versatrak AWD option) is a much better choice.