Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I just saw that my dealer got their 1st (and only) Vibe. It was a base. No driving on Sundays in New Jersey, of course. So I had a long time to walk around and stare...

I love the looks, but I think that only the silver and grey will look good with the cladding. I must go AWD, so I'm still concerned about the engine lacking power. The back seat is not the huge roomy area that people on here are describing. What cars are people comparing it to. A Metro?

The wheels don't look as bad as they did in pictures, although I'm horribly disapointed (as usual) that they don't have the cool ones from the concept. I know I'll never spring for new wheels unless it would be done before delivery, especially once car payments resume.

I did notice that the steering wheel is really, really close to the dash. I hope it isn't uncomfortable like it was for some others.

The roof rack is cool looking. They should put a larger version of that on the Aztek.

If the AWD doesn't feel too weak, I think I'm in. The only competition now is the Vue (no GM card rebate really hurts it) and maybe the '03 Aztek (I like the '02 better than '01, I just want a little lower roofline, and a back end like the Vibe), provided it comes out this summer.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Zircon : I thought the 130HP / auto combo was ok on the Matrix. I don't need a lot of power as I have my 220hp Intrigue for fun driving.

RE : Gray cladding - Personally I love it! I don't like the ribbing on the Grand Am, but the gray accents look great IMO. Everyone I have discussed the car with also think the Vibe looks great. I don't know which car will sell the most, but I think the Vibe looks better over all. The Matrix XRS moldings/skirt looks way too boy racer for me. The base Matrix looks best.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    clyde2000 : The cladding is a Pontiac trademark and seems to be OK with the public as it's rampant on the Grand Am & Grand Prix (to a lesser degree)the Grand Am being their best seller. Too much of a good thing in most cases tho to my eye.

The dark gray cladding on the Vibe just screams "low-buck model" !! It would look a little better if it were a nice black. The gray almost looks like the plastic bumpers used on the base Cavaliers, Saturns and Neons of a few years ago tho I think they have eliminated that even on the cheapest 2002 base cars. I think that it would not cost that much to just paint ALL the cladding body color from the get-go and not penalize the buyer of a base car $500 (or whatever) to make the car look decent. I would not be surprised if they don't make a mid-year change and do just that or at least drop the price to get a painted bumper/cladding trim pkg.

hud :)
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Checked a local dealer today to make a more serious assessment of the car. They had two on display a base manual in dark gray and an automatic in red metallic.

Initially I thought that I would like this car in the dark gray but I found the car unappealing. Frankly the gray in stead of hiding the cladding seems to make it even more cheap looking by matching the dull gray color.

The red metallic looked much better even with the gray cladding. While I too prefer the wheels on the original show cars, I found the 16in. wheel option on these cars to be more attractive than I had expected. I could live with them even though a nice 5 or 6 spoke would be preferable. The car was definitiely taller than I expected and this makes the vehicle look larger than say a P5 which is virtually the same length.

As for the sticker price well that wasn't it's best point. Vibe base with auto., Sun and Sound, Power Package, 16in alloys priced out at $19,200. A P5 I looked at with all of the same equipment(minus 200 watt stereo) and the addition of ABS, side air bags and of course, monochrome paint also priced out at $19,200. Since I want monochrome that's another $500 so basically you get a P5 for $500 less than a Vibe with ABS and side air bags included less the better stereo that comes in the Vibe.

Also think the P5 interior is more attractive (leather wheel standard-only available on the Vibe GT).

Overall its hard to not see the P5 as a better value and probably a more reliable choice. The price difference isn't huge though so if you really prefer the Vibe it's certainly a reasonable alternative.

As an aside, I looked at the Matrix as well and frankly think the car is butt ugly even in base model format. A lower price on Matrix would mean nothing to me as If I want to save a few bucks it's no contest choosing the P5.

As another possible choice in this catagory I looked at a Vue. V6 AWD topped out at almost $25000 and for that price you don't even get a leather steering wheel. Interior is very cheap though it appeared a little less horrible than I previously thought. Base 4 cyl. is priced decently (under 20k) but the interior is well below the level of similarly priced cars such as the Vibe or P5.

I guess the final decision between a Vibe and a P5 will come down to driving them and assessing the comfort, ride quality and features. If a thousand dollars makes or breaks your decision than I guess you opt for a P5. If the money is not crucial than I guess the test drive should be.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Well I live near a Mazda dealer, and I have noticed that slowly over the past 3 months, almost 40% of their Protege stock is now Protege 5's. Isn't that awesome?
    "Overall its hard to not see the P5 as a better value and probably a more reliable choice"

How is the P5 more reliable than the Vibe/Matrix? I'm not saying the P5 is unreliable, just wondering where you get that idea from?
  • nymerianymeria Member Posts: 11
    There is an advantage to cladding that no one seems to mention: it can really protect the car from dings and dents. We have an Aztek and the body is in PRISTINE condition. Not a mark on it despite crowded parking lots and tooling around campsites.

Also, bear in mind that painted cladding has a tendency to scratch easily. Sometimes it doesn't end up looking nice for very long.

If cladding is just hideous to you (and as an Aztek owner, I know a LOT of people find it horrible), then naturally you should keep away from it. If you're on the fence, though, bear in mind that it does have certain advantages.

Oh - just because this post will probably prompt some Aztek comments - I will add this: Mock it all you like, it is a GREAT car if the options fit your lifestyle. We've used the tent, the backpacks, the cooler again and again and just love the versatility. Plus it's amazingly fun to drive for a car its size and has an excellent stereo system (which might be the same one in the Vibe/Matrix).
    Reliablity comment relates to the fact that the P5 is made in Japan. However, in light of the fact that the Vibe is made at Nummi and has a Toyota drivetrain I may have been a bit off base in presuming a difference in reliability.

I still think the Vibe is an attractive car and if the dynamics (ride, comfort, performance) measure up it is well worth consideration.

As for cladding having advantages, I would say if you like the cladding and think it protects your car's body, fine.
    As to painted cladding scratching, well my thought is that 99% of cars don't have cladding and if GM made the car without cladding that would not be an issue.

I really don't even care about the cladding being on the car as long as a painted body is available. However, $500
    for the priviledge of having a car with the same level of paintwork that virtually every other car on the road gives you for free seems ridiculous.
  • apatiaapatia Member Posts: 36
    I went to the local pontiac dealer for a looky-loo and was extemely disappointed. The Vibe is UGLY. Kind of an Aztek-lite. I could live w/ the rest of the vehicle if only they fixed the front end. It's stunted-looking and pontiac's trademark grill just kills it for me.

Hmph. I really had high hopes.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    If those are your only problems, get thee to a Toyota dealer and look at a Matrix. Same car underneath and usually priced less this time around (strange, eh?)

Also a LONGER warranty if you are in the US (powertrain is 5/60 instead of 3/36 as on the Pontiac). Resale should also be much better.
    apatia : Vibe looks nothing like the Aztek. Maybe you were looking at an Aztek.

cayennered1 : I see what you are saying, but there are lots of bad cars that have come from Japan also so country of origin is irrelevant. My co-workers Mazda came from Japan and it's been a nightmare for them. You really have to look at each car model on an individual basis.
    Have had several Pontiacs with the cladding and there are others in the family as well. Three family members work for GM (Delphi & Buick) so you KNOW what they are gonna drive. LOL.

My experience has been that sooner or later the paint begins to peel off the cladding & it then REALLY looks crappy. My 1993 Grand Am did this after about two years, my nieces 1995 Grand Am did too and my bro-in-law's Grand Prix literally "shed" all the paint off the side cladding & tops of front & rear facias. Of course all "were out of warranty" and GM would NOT do anything about it. I've noticed a lot of GM stuff in the lots at the mall parking & they all seem to do this sooner or later. I have a 2000 GMC Somoma & I'm watching that plastic painted trim VERY closely too.

• squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    One of the reasons I am into the Vibe is the Toyota reliability. Does this new engine sludge issue effect the Vibe/Corolla too?
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I think the sludge problems were only with the bigger Camry and SUV 4 and 6 cylinder engines, not the little 1.8L 4-banger found in the Celica and Corolla (though I could be wrong).
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Not sure if it may make a difference to some but The Vibe is a 2003 and most of the cars being compared to it (ie Protege5) are 2002 models. Also on the Vibe Trim, I think it looks most like the Volvo XC Wagon.
    hpulley is right. The sludge problem was in the Toyota V6 engines, not the 4 bangers. The Vibe and Matrix should be fine.
  • fformula88fformula88 Member Posts: 30
    Anybody know why the Vibe GT is listed at 21/29 for milage, and the Matrix XRS with 6 speed is 24/29? I cannot figure out why the Vibe GT city rating is so low.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The info is incorrect. Per Toyota's web site XRS w/Manual 22/29. Per Pontiac's web site Vibe GT 21/28.
    This cladding thing is starting to make me nuts.

Isn't cladding simply plastic and if it's painted isn't it the same as painting the bumbers of your car which are also plastic. The concept that painted cladding will inevitably peel would seem to suggest that everyone's painted plastic bumbers would therefore, peel also.

Now if GM has defective paint work that causes it to peel that would be another story. It would also be a basis for a warranty claim whether the car is in or out of warranty. I know of many class action law suits involving chronic paint problems that effect certain vehicles.

But to make a long story short why put the cladding on the car. The majority of people prefer the monochrome look and you avoid possible issues of paint problems.
    Sorry you're dissappointed in the Vibe's style. Strangely enough I actually find the Vibe's front end appealing even though it has that exaggerated Potiac look.

As to looking at the Matrix as an alternative, frankly I don't know how anyone can find the Matrix even remotely attractive. Looked at one the other day and even without the ground effects it looks downright awful. Actually looks like an elephant sat on the back of the roof. If you find the Vibe ugly than the Matrix would be hideous.
    Got my full 8-10 page VIBE brochure in the mail last night finally. Pretty slick piece of marketing and very different than the Matrix brochure which is large and almost newspaper like. I thought all 3 wheel choices looked fine and there are pictures of all the accessories. Only one I would be interested in is the ski rack. Looked at all the colors and the Salsa red with gray cladding looks best to me and my wife. Our other car is gray so I don't want another the same color.

Still don't have one to test at the local dealer. Will call again tomorrow. Apparently some Ontario dealers have them now.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I agree with you that the Vibe looks better, trouble is, it doesn't look $2000 better than the Matrix....

Plus, I'm being told by a Pontiac Rep that the Monotone Pkg CAN'T be ordered on a GT....

geez....Pontiac is sure forcing people to the Matrix with it's pricing and that @#$%#$@% cladding.
    Spoke with a sales lady at the local Pontiac dealer about ordering a Vibe. She told me there was indeed negotiating room though I won't order until I test. I suspect if you can't get the same price you bring in the Matrix price and tell them to match it. I'm sure they will.

Monotone can be ordered with the GT. There is a picture of one in the brochure. Can't be ordered yet though as it's interim available.
    Even after I got the bottom line pricing on the Matrix and the Vibe from my buying service, there was almost a $2000 price difference.
    Same equipment? The list prices up here are about $2000 different, but Toyota will not negotiate and Pontiac has it's usual 8-10% markup over invoice built in. Hence I can probably get the Vibe I want for about the same as the Matrix with similar equipment. The Vibe will have power windows as a bonus since you can't get them on base Matrix.
    I've yet to talk to anyone that thinks the Vibe is very exciting or "rad" (read butt ugly) at all. This includes a bunch of guys in the age group these things are supposed to be aimed at. Is it possible they have another Aztek on their hands? I think they do. Dealers are already discounting them. I really looked forward to the thing but once I saw it in the "metal" I was really disappointed to say the least. I think I'll go Proto !

Local dealer has 8 confirmed orders on the books. They won't get any in for at least a week. I doubt the Aztek had that many orders when it came out.

Vibe looks nothing like the Aztek. Maybe you were looking at an Aztek in error? The Vibe and Matrix were both big draws at the Canadian In't Auto Show.
  • clyde2000clyde2000 Member Posts: 38
    There was a lot of activity around the Vibe when I went to the Auto show in T.O. too. Most of us that were exploring Vibe were in agreement that the Vibe looks way better than the Matrix. My dealer has also said that they can't wait to get them in, because of the considerable interest that has been shown in them. I can't see how any sane dealer would be discounting the Vibe.

hudrahead: What was it about seeing it in person that you didn't like? And you can't say the cladding because that isn't metal....
    Best prices I got on the Matrix XRS 6 speed is $20,639.00

Best price on a similarly equiped Vibe GT was $22,513.30

and the Matrix comes with Wheel Locks and an Auto Dimming mirror that aren't available on the Vibe (at least not as acutal factory accessories)
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Well, The local Pontiac dealer hasn't sold their first Vibe yet, while the Toyota dealer has sold several Matrixes....but then he's had them a few weeks longer. I wonder if the Toyota dealer has more people looking at Matrixes since people are going to the dealer to see the new Corolla and then see some of the functional advantages of the Matrix. Also, with fewer models on the go, the Matrix may get more attention at the Toyota dealer than the Vibe will when there are soooooo many models on the lot at the Pontiac dealership.

Driving by the dealership with my father, who owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, I pointed out the Vibe and he said he didn't like the front end....he said it looked like the Aztek.

We own a Matrix (in black) but I don't really see the Vibe looking too much like the Aztek...it has a Pontiac look but it's not too bad. I also think the cladding will offer an extra degree of protection.

I think both cars are very solidly built. In Canada I don't think the price differences are as severe (except the AWD or GT) ...and the Vibe Matches the Toyota warranty....in the US....with the Vibe costing so much more and having only a 3 yr warranty will hurt sales.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Yes, the base Vibe with Power Package is cheaper than the Matrix XR up here, plus I have a GM card. The Matrix base plus B Package is a bit less money but has fewer features as well.
    clyde2000:Well, the cladding is a personal opinion. Some like it, some don't. My bggest objection was the gray plastic cheap looking (body color would help here) nature of it. As to the car as a whole I thought it looked "bulky" kinda "hunched-up". It also was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The Proto5 just seems to come off as a cleaner design tho I guess they are about the same size. I'd like to see them parked side by side to see how they actually stack up. This particular dealer had four of them as of a week ago and they were selling for MSRP then and since have ads in the paper for about $1000 off sticker. I called this morning to see if they had gotten any new colors in, NO and they still had the four in stock, no sale yet! Go figure !

hpulley4: I too ahve a GM card but daler said NO allowance
    is permissable on the VIBE yet, BUMMER !!!

tup: I thought both the Matrix & Vibe were both built on the same assy line @ NUMMI plant in California. Are they bolting them together in Canada too ? If they are can I buy one for 62 cents on the dollar ? LOL. Just kidding, we love you guys up there even if you did kick our butts on the ice in Utah LOL. Good on ya, eh.

hud :):)
    Well, The local Pontiac dealer hasn't sold their first Vibe yet, while the Toyota dealer has sold several Matrixes....but then he's had them a few weeks longer. I wonder if the Toyota dealer has more people looking at Matrixes since people are going to the dealer to see the new Corolla and then see some of the functional advantages of the Matrix. Also, with fewer models on the go, the Matrix may get more attention at the Toyota dealer than the Vibe will when there are soooooo many models on the lot at the Pontiac dealership.

Driving by the dealership with my father, who owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, I pointed out the Vibe and he said he didn't like the front end....he said it looked like the Aztek.

We own a Matrix (in black) but I don't really see the Vibe looking too much like the Aztek...it has a Pontiac look but it's not too bad. I also think the cladding will offer an extra degree of protection.

I think both cars are very solidly built. In Canada I don't think the price differences are as severe (except the AWD or GT) ...and the Vibe Matches the Toyota warranty....in the US....with the Vibe costing so much more and having only a 3 yr warranty will hurt sales.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The Vibe is built ONLY at the Fremont, California plant, which also built the Prizm (discontinued) and builds Corollas, Voltz (the Vibe rebadged as a Toyota Voltz for sale in Japan) and the compact Toyota pickup truck.

All Matrices, meanwhile, are built in Canada. No Matrices built in the USA and no Vibes in Canada. Corolla is built both places.

Got that straight?
    john: Yes, I think I got it, but it's kinda confusing, like the seven different ways you can order chili @ Steak & Shake !!

hud : I'm not sure how much I could get off the price, but I am waiting to test one before deciding to start the negotiations. My wife is also unsure as she is not keen on wagons.

Tup : Only vague similarity between Vibe and Aztek is the Pontiac look to the front. It's not really very similar though. 02 Aztek is much better than the 01, but it's still out there.
    Just read a review of the 2002 Aztek...not a glowing account:

http://pc99.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.hbs?myrec=121

Ya, I've seen that review. I think the Aztek is good for what it is, a mini van with SUV clothes on and some cool features. If Bob Lutz and the boys at GM can keep improving on the looks it would probably sell much better. The Rendezvous is selling very well. The lady I was talking to about the Vibe said they sell about 15-20 Rendezvous' a month right now. She said they sold 1 Aztek this month and zero last month. They had 6 Rendezvous' on the lot and 1 Aztek.
  • golfboygolfboy Member Posts: 35
    I agree with people saying that the Vibe looks absolutely nothing like the Aztek. It's the whole pontiac branding thing with signature styling cues. Would you say that BMW Z3 looks exactly like the M5? Of course not, but there are many similarities in the way they look. It's BMWs way of saying "Hey, I'm a BMW look at me!!" Pontiac is doing the same thing with their styling.

As for the cladding, I think it looks good unpainted and after feeling it at the Auto Show really don't think it's all that cheap. It gives it an SUV quality a la Ford Escape. I don't hear a lot of people knocking the Escape and apparantly its a sales hit. I did notice though that some of the concept photos had the cladding painted in a two-tone grayish color sort of like Subaru's Outback line. Maybe Pontiac intends on doing this in the future once they phase out the monotone availability.

The Aztek and the Rendezvous are both ugly in my opinion. They are poorly disguised minivans and frankly the Montana (especially now with the Versatrak AWD option) is a much better choice.
    Saw a white Matrix this morning, just off-loaded from the carrier. Man, that is one UGLY piece of work. Not a decent angle on the thing, especially from the rear. For some reason it reminded me of the old Divco (circa 1950)milk delivery trucks that Borden used to deliver milk door-to-door when I was a kid. The kind that the driver stood to drive with only a little fold away seat. if i had any interest in a Vibe or a Matrix it's gone !! Plus Toyota has the gall to charge from the distributor $695 for some crap called Toyoguard ? Heck, the thing already had a bottom line MSRP of a little over 20K and not even a automatic. By the time the dealer gets done packing the price another $2000 you are talking serious money for a little, ugly, under powered station wagon. I just don't get it !

hud : I think the base Matrix is ok, but the decked out ones with the skirts are not my taste at all. Vibe is a much better looking package over all IMO.

golfboy : I like the Rendezvous quite a bit. The interior is beautiful.
  • ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    You can now find the Vibe on GMBuyPower.
  • zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Hud: I see it as more of a love it/hate it type of thing. I think that the Matrix/Vibe is one of the freshest affordable designs in years. In terms of general utility and space, I find it hard to beat. Under powered? Perhaps, but when gas gets to prices like it is in Europe, the 30 - 40 miles per gallon is OK with me.
    What sort of car offering similar utility and price would you recommend??
    zukhov: Well, it's probably not in the same league with Vibe/Matrix but if I were in the market for a little four door "grocery getter" I think it'd be a Mazda Proto5. My son just bought one. I had the opportinity to drive his for two weeks while he & wife were on a cruise. I must say I was VERY impressed with the car. The thing that struck me was the outstanding fit, finish & overall quality down to the smallest detail. For the money it seems to be a very good buy, plus it is a real "looker" compared to the "ugly twins" LOL. Just my slant tho, I'm sure some folks will just love the things much as they did the PT Cruiser but over the long haul I think the "rad" styling will not age well. We'll see how it goes. No one seems to be knocking down the doors @ Pontiac to buy one tho like they did with the PT. Local dealer selling @ MSRP and said to come in & they'd talk about coming off that too ! Go figure.

• golfboygolfboy Member Posts: 35
    Dindak: Whatever tickles your fancy I guess...and alot of people share your sentiment as it's selling very well. I just don't think they hid its minivan heritage well enough especially towards the rear. If GM wanted to make a luxo SUV along the same lines as the Navigator they should have used an SUV model and not a minivan. I sat in one and the interior is nice if you like Buick interiors (which I don't). I'm much more fond of "sporty" interior touches.

The Vibe and Proto5 are both on my shopping list. Both have advantages and disadvantages and a test drive of both will seal the deal but in terms of appearance alone, I don't think I would be able to choose one way or the other.
    golfboy : I think you are missing the point, the RDV is not suppose to be sporty. It competes on a value end with MDX and such. Navigator is a completely different animal. GM has the Escalade to compete there.

hud : Lady at the local Pontiac dealer says they have 8 orders on the books. No deliveries as of yet, not even a tester. Supposedly there will be one or two next week. It's not going to be a block buster like the PT Cruiser, but it will sell out this year for sure as will the Matrix. P5 is also a decent car, but I have not driven one.
  • zircon2zircon2 Member Posts: 94
    when you see the owners drive them away. They will sell low end ones, because they are fairly priced, but the AWD and GTs are way too high. Pay a $2000 premium to buy a Plastiac over a Toyota? NEVER. The Plastiac will depreciate much, much faster. Come autumn, they will have to get realistic on price.
    I have no interest in a high end Vibe GT so I don't know the pricing but you are probably rite. There is always more profit built into the high end models.

Don't kid your self though, lots of plastic on those Matrix skirts also.
  • clyde2000clyde2000 Member Posts: 38
    Since cars depreciate most in the first 2-3 years, you should only really care about it if you plan to get rid of the car in that time frame. Of course, if you want a new car every two years you should be leasing anyway so I don't buy your argument at all. Admit it though, the Matrix is one ugly car, it's almost as bad as the PT Cruiser.

BTW, most of the Vibes built will be the base variety anyway, so of course more of those would sell than the GT or AWD. My local dealer has 3 Vibes on the lot (2 base, 1 GT), all 3 are spoken for and I can't even get a test drive at the present time.