Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    I wonder if Honda and the Oddysey owners will find that they have created a bubble. Will new and resale prices come crashing (or at least drop significantly) down once Honda's supply has done a better job meeting demand? I agree that the herd mentality also plays a part in this, and that could work against Honda (if perceived quality becomes an issue) as well as for them.

But as near as I can tell, most Oddysey owners love their vehicles. Good for them

reqcon: I'm glad I have an MPV in my garage. I tend to choke when trying to say "Baaaaaaa. Baaaaaa." dan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Java, I was standing around a groundbreaking ceremony in Nampa around 11 am today and it was pushing 93 -- almost, but not quite double you guys up there :-)

I'm really rather relieved I didn't get that Odyssey LX in '99. My Quest has a 6 foot stripe down the side now from hitting a barrel flower pot at the end of the garage. I did the major damage, then my wife tagged it a little last week, and I hit it again yesterday. I used to have the same problem when I had a VW van in '69. No telling what damage I'd cause in a full size MV like the Honda.

Mazda really needs to make a 5 passenger MiniMPV like the old Access for guys like me who want something tallish but shorter. I really need to move the flower pot soon too :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • wantampvwantampv Member Posts: 3
    Steve, I am sorry to say that you are a Dufus!! Move the pot man!!! :)

Nathan
    lol, my wife doesn't even know about the cast iron lantern that used to live next to the pot - I smashed it too ;-)

Luckily I have some epoxy left over from fixing my driver's side mirror that I dropped the canoe on....

Steve
    Host
  • turtle68turtle68 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, we are thinking of buying a 2002 ES-but one of us wants a DVD and the other feels that the DVD can be installed later on.
    Does anyone have a MPV with a factory DVD player? Have you had any problems with it?

Thank You
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Honda's doing a good job of managing the "bubble." They have two vehicles already that are based on the Ody platform, and now they introduce the Pilot, which also shares the platform. So it looks like they're fooling with the supply-and-demand curve by adjusting the supply.

Steve, I think Mazda already has the MiniMPV, although they named it something different: (oooh, yellow...)

and in case that image isn't enough, here's a link to more of them: MiniMPV.

:)

That black one will look especially nice with one of my trademark scrapes down the passenger side ;-)

Steve
    Host
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    It's true, I can't believe it. My MPV salesman called me the other day and told me to come in for a free tank of gas. Seems he was proud of his perfect score on his survey. I guess it pays to read this site.

P.S. I think everyone can agree. Not many people have researched a van longer than me. Yet, I picked a MPV. Sorry, Honda owners. To many documented problems. Oh, and money was not a issue. Truly hope everyone is happy with their van. MPV or otherwise. Paul
  • jimmydelrayjimmydelray Member Posts: 38
    Drove the 2003 MPV ES with most of the toys. I was impressed. I also have the "S" plan so the only variable was the trade in. Unfortunately the dealer here in Delray really tried to low ball me on the trade. Fortunately I knew what my vehicle was worth. I walked with the salesman and manager trailing behind me. I will own the MPV ES but from a more honest dealership.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I need to clarify a few points condidering my Ody comments. I have a 2001 MPV and have been happy with it overall, just a few minor design flaws, plus the small engine, but dependable, versatile and a good package. Design wise and mechanically I believe it is better than the Ody, plus the price was good and the salespeople a pleasure compared to the Honda employees.I would never just join the herd unless it made practical and financial sense to do so. However, I believe it is okay to give credit when it is due and from a marketing/sales standpoint it is amazing. Also,who wouldn't want to get the most when it comes time to trade in their vehicle,and here I do believe that Mazda will fall short,even when factoring in the initial price paid. Would I rather drive an MPV,yes. Is it a better looking van,definitely. Was it less stressful to purchase, sure. Overall,am I happy with my purchase,yes. Should I have waited for the 2002 model,yes. Do I enjoy causing trouble?
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    LOL...
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I've owned Hondas for the last 15 years and have been quite pleased. When we looked for a van I naturally checked out the Ody - but as mentioned above, the dealers (most) are all jerks (including the last 15 years) and Honda is too proud of their overpriced Ody ("Let's wait two months and see if it comes in....") I went for the Toyota (Sienna), got a much better deal and the dealer is great. In all truthfulness, I never even thought of the MPV.
    With the acquisition of my '01 MPV I've found that it's been trouble free, fun to drive and gets a heck of a lot more looks than the Sienna.

No, I would not give up the Sienna but the MPV is the star attraction to me - and the 11 kids who pile into it before the soccer games start.
    (Ever see what it looks like when six soccer balls are flying back and forth inside a van.....?)
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Actually, I was wondering what 11 kids in a minivan looks like. :-) Okay, I know that's not what you meant. :-)
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    for my 2000 ES before the snow flies. Any suggestions from the gurus?

Jane
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    A zoo!

Now that tires came up again....
    I have two Michelin Symmetry's on the front (after 30K miles), rears in good shape yet. I noticed that the load rating is 92 as compared with the OEM Yoko's 94. That's about a hundred pound load difference. The speed rating is higher on the Michelin's (like I'm doing 112 every day going to work...) but the load rating had me thinking - or is that difference fairly minimal?
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Check out the MPVClub.com. There is currently a good thread going on snow tires, plus I believe there is an older thread on tires in general. What do you currently have, and how have they done for you? dan
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    ... let's go gang up on the Sedated crowd, hehe just kidding :-0

Badgermomma, Michelin makes a great tire, but as Bob said in his post after yours, just make sure you get a tire that's load rated at 94 or higher. If you have 15" wheels, you'll have to go up one size from the OEM size, but that's no problem on the MPV. The X-One or Pilot are good choices, though a little pricey.

After years of shying away from Dunlops, I must admit that I like them quite a bit. The new SP4000's A/S on my MPV are very sporty and have a nice ride.

I know several folks here have tried the Yokohama Avid Touring's and are very pleased. Pete could give you better info on these than I can.

HIH
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Had Discount Tire install Yokohama Avid Tourings, on our 01 LX (15"), last month. The Avid's are quiet and our van handles better than ever. The Midwest is currently experiencing a severe drought, so I can't comment on wet weather traction. Although, the Avid Tourings were rated extremely high for snow and rain on Tirerack.com . The set of 4 cost $324.00 with mounting , balance, stems, free lifetime rotation, hazard and prorated warranty.

Pjd58
  • calden3calden3 Member Posts: 11
    Hey all:

I've asked a few questions on this town hall board last summer about the MPV and winter driving. Well, after looking at more car models than I car to list (oh, okay - here's is what we've considered: MPV, Odyssey, Pilot, CRV, Highlander, Accura MDX, Outback) I think we have come full circle back to the MPV. I can't figure out why so many makers are creating coccoon-like cockpits with no wiggle or squirm room for my 6' 205 lb. frame. I'm just spoiled by our '91 VW Vanagon.

So I came back to the MPV which is actually fairly comfortable for my frame and sprawl tendencies. In looking at the options, though, I am wondering about the wheel size options. It would seem that getting bigger wheels would make for a quieter and smoother ride, no? Or would having smaller wheels and, I thus assume, narrower tires, make for better traction in winter driving?

Any ideas or suggestions along these lines? Or any comments on other options that are good to have? We are looking at TCS and the four-season package. Ideally we'd like to forego the roof rack and get a Thule or Yakima, but I don't know if one can realistically get an MPV without a roof rack around here.

Carlos
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    I currently am running on the dunlops that came with the vehicle, new, I have just under 30K so am a bit dissappointed in their lifespan. I am not sure if I have 15 or 16 wheels where do I find out, I have the ES model, yr 2000, also I am not sure what OEM means, or how to apply it..... I am just a woman for petes sake, LOL. I am going to check out the avid tourings if I can find them, it sound like they are pretty good, anything special I need to ask for with these? Special guy codes or ratings or just slug the dude in the shoulder and say "know what I mean", will that be enough? :-)

Jane
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    The go for the smallest rim and greatest aspect ratio. For instance, my Buick came with 205/75-14 (where the 75 is the aspect ratio and the 14 is the wheel size)

So it has nice tall sidewalls to soak up any road imperfections. The 225/55-16's I replaced them with (new wheels included) are about the same diameter, but with a smaller sideway.

I wanted that because I'm more interested in tire responsiveness, than a smooth, quiet ride.

So if you want smooth and quiet, go for the smallest wheel such as a 15" and get the higher profile tires.

OBTW, quiet is typically a function of the tread pattern, not the sidewall. So read the reviews, check with your tire vendor and ask which is the most quiet that fits your application.

FWIW,

TB
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Some of you have heard me mention this before...but after 20 years in the car business I can't think of a vehicle that has been or is easier to sell than the current MPV. The features and benefits exceed most consumers expectations. The ride and drive well exceeds peoples expectations plus the price is reasonable. All the things that make the sale very easy!!
    Some of the competition is very good but not better and the arrogance of many Honda/Toyota dealers has made this even easier.

We sell alot of different brand mini-vans and none are in the same league as the MPV.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I agree that the MPV is a nice mv and along with the Sienna the most dependable,but if it is so easy to sell and in a separate league then why are so few sold when compared to the others,and why aren't the reviews better? I can understand prior to 2002 with the underpowered engine(Bad decision by Mazda),but not now.
    LOL! Sorry, we make too many assumptions sometimes, eh?! OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer". How that applies to your tires is the size that originally came on your MPV and what Mazda recommends as a replacement. If you have an '00 ES, then you should have 16" alloys wheels (not steel wheels w/ hubcaps). The OEM tire size for that wheel is 215/60/16, basically the 215 is the width, 60 is the height, and 16 being the rim (wheel) diameter. You can find the OEM specifications on a sticker (aka the tire placard) mounted inside the door jamb of the driver's door. Once you've decided on the tire brand you want, then you have to decide upon the size. You can stick with 215/60/16, and most folks do. If you want a slightly wider tire for better handling characteristics, you could go with a 225/55/60 like Tboner did, but those are really the only two sizes that will work on your wheels. Just remember what I said about the "load rating". It needs to be 94 or higher. This is also listed on the tire placard. Fortunately, I've yet to see a tire in either of these two sizes that didn't meet or exceed the 94 rating, so you should be safe there. Good luck!
    This was posted over on the MPVClub.com by Alex. I'm sure that these numbers reflect the increase in horsepower from the new 3.0 liter engine, but also the value and good looks of our beloved van:

Passenger Van sales in US (August 2002):
    =====================
    1. Dodge Caravan - 16,585 (17.4%)
    2. Honda Odyssey - 14,810 (15.5%)
    3. Ford Windstar - 12,048 (12.6%)
    4. Chrysler Town & Country - 11,011 (11.6%)
    5. Toyota Sienna - 7,935 (8.3%)
    6. Chevrolet Venture - 7,899 (8.3%)
    7. Mazda MPV - 5,071 (5.3%)
    8. Kia Sedona - 4,826 (5.1%)
    9. Pontiac Montana - 4,825 (5.1%)
    10. Chrysler Voyager - 2,922 (3.1%)
    11. Nissan Quest - 1,960 (2.1%)
    12. Mercury Villager - 1,674 (1.8%)
    13. Oldsmobile Silhouette - 1,621 (1.7%)
    14. GMC Safari - 1,368 (1.4%)
    15. Volkswagen Eurovan - 535 (0.6%)
    16. GMC Savana - 222 (0.2%)
    =======================
    Total - 95,312 (100%)

Passenger Van sales in US (August 2001):
    =====================
    1. Dodge Caravan - 14,582 (16.9%)
    2. Ford Windstar - 11,846 (13.7%)
    3. Honda Odyssey - 11,792 (13.7%)
    4. Chrysler Town & Country - 9,341 (10.8%)
    5. Toyota Sienna - 7,684 (8.9%)
    6. Chevrolet Venture - 7,438 (8.6%)
    7. Pontiac Montana - 4,278 (5.0%)
    8. Kia Sedona - 3,725 (4.3%)
    9. Chrysler Voyager - 3,383 (3.9%)
    10. Nissan Quest - 3,038 (3.5%)
    11. Oldsmobile Silhouette - 2,843 (3.3%)
    12. Mazda MPV - 2,532 (2.9%)
    13. Mercury Villager - 1,469 (1.7%)
    14. Volkswagen Eurovan - 1,193 (1.4%)
    15. GMC Safari - 970 (1.1%)
    16. GMC Savana - 189 (0.2%)
    =======================
    Total - 86,303 (100%)
  • mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    I posted this topic before, but got no response.
    I noticed my new 2002 MPV lx has Dunlop SP40 a/s(15'), a lot cheaper than SP4000.
    I found on the dealer's parking lot that some other new MPV has Continental tires.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think Rich's perspective is from once the customer is in the dealer. Mazda's biggest problem is getting people to the showroom. If they can get people on test drives, the products sell themselves, at least most of them. Mazda has some class leading cars in terms of feel and driveability with the MPV, Protege & P5, Tribute, Miata, and the upcoming Mazda6.
  • rlorrlor Member Posts: 12
    I have a three-day old MPV ES 2002 with an overdrive light that flashes on occasion, a steering wheel that vibrates more than my 1987 Volvo 740 at 70 mph and a mild case of misalignment to the left. I am particularly concerned about the light. Anybody out there have this problem? Is it normal? Manual says it could be a bad thing.
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    go back a few hundred posts to find a long discussion on this topic. In short, it's most likely they way you shift.

--kcz
    I could not find that discussion, but I am a little confused. What do you mean by the way I shift? It's an automatic. What am I missing here?
    It could be the way you manipulate the throttle. If you are changing the throttle just as the computer is changing gears, you could catch the tranny at the wrong time.

Say you let off, the computer is getting ready to shift, and you get right back on the gas. You could experience a very rough shift.

That's just one example.

HTH,

TB
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    OD OFF light flashing could indicate a transmission or TCM (transmission control module) problem. On 2002 vans built before March 11, 2002, TCM has a programming error that could cause Check Engine Light go off or cause OD OFF to flash. It may need to be replaced.

Here is more info:

http://www.mpvclub.com/index.php?action=showprb;PrbID=57

http://www.mpvclub.com/index.php?action=showprb;PrbID=58

• hpark21hpark21 Member Posts: 7
    Hi!

I was at a Mazda dealer today and they quoted me on an LX with Rear AC, Roof Rack, and floor mats with MSRP $23700 for $22532 where the Invoice price is $21899.

First, he told me that $22532 includes the local tax and tag but not $2000 cash incentive.

Local tax is 3.2% so this offer sounded like $21833 + tax which is lower than invoice by $66.

So far, it sounded good, and I did not take $2000 cash incentive into factor since I was going to finance it for 0% x48 mo. (48 mo. @5.49 -2000 cash was about wash I will be paying $2383 in interest and payment per mo. would have been higher than 48 @0%)

However, here was a kicker.. He then turned around and told me that to finance it(which he knew was my intention), it would cost me $486 / Mo. Then I left the dealership thanking him for taking time. He was telling me that I should get back to him ASAP since they are selling them out fast. Hmm..

When I got home and did calculation, $486 per mo. didn't jibe (this is correct spelling, look up your trusty webster) with quick calculation, since $22532 / 48 = 469.81 not $486, then when I calculated out $486 / mo, it totaled to $22532 * 1.032 which was added tax. Hmm.. Did he make mistake when he quoted me $22532 contained tax and tag fee? Or was he trying to put a wool over my eyes by quoting me $22532 but actually trying to have tax hidden into higher monthly payment?

Do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask to get the van for $500 below invoice since 2003 are here already and I am willing to take old stock from him? I remember the days when invoice price was FAR below the MSRP, I wonder how the MSRP now a days seem much closer to invoice price. Are they hiding something here?
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    Even with automatics you still have to shift from park to drive. We've noticed that the shifter has to be pushed outward (towards windshield) once moved from P to D; otherwise, the OD light would start flashing after a while. Also, when OD light is flashing, do you still have the square around the gear designation letter?

BTW, we still had this problem AFTER the module had been replaced. The module was replaced because of transmission's hesitations. It was fixed once we "learned" how to shift. It's so ironic that we had to learn how to shift an automatic. We hate automatics and will buy the first (new) minivan with manual sold in US.

--kcz
    I really appreciate your responses. I am taking the van in tomorrow to be looked at. I hope it is nothing serious because I really like the van but it is a lot of money to spend just to have to go back to the dealer within a week.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    When one is looking at a "New" 02 MPV on a lot and notices that it has 101 miles on it, is it still a "New" 02 MPV?

At what point do "Test Drive" miles affect the price of the vehicle?

Regards,
    Mark
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    Does the fuel filter in an MPV EVER have to be replaced? If so, when? It says absolutely nothing about the fuel filter in the maintenance section of our 2000 manual or in the maintenance schedule in edmunds.com.
  • hpark21hpark21 Member Posts: 7
    Hi!

It seem like the dealer DEFINITELY was trying to pull wool over my eyes. When I called him back, he told me that he said "22532" is the sale price and Monthly CONTAINS tax and tag fee.

I even said "Geez 22532 including tax is below the invoice price" before leaving his desk.

22532 is actually $800 over the invoice price, good price? I don't think so. Especially for 02 model.

I called another dealer, and this one tells me that he CAN get me the deal $22500 for LX with tax and rear air, floor mat, fog lights and roof rack. This comes out to $21811 selling price which is actually $260 below the invoice. Now we are talking!! Now, of course, can he deliver on the promises?? It was just too late for me to run down to the dealer so I will deal tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

By the way, Mazda just announced 36 month zero % financing on all new 2003 MPV's. The dealer told me about it today. So, it may be that 2003 may have cash back announced very soon. Not on their website (MazdaUSA.com) though.
    Glideslopes: I don't think 101 miles will be a factor in negotiating a mileage discount. Fwiw, some banks regard a vehicle w/fewer than 6,000 miles as 'new.' Mine had 300 miles on it, but it was transported from another state to the dealership I purchased at.

Mainsail2: I too noticed that Mazda does not recommend a service interval for the fuel filter, and I don't know the official Mazda word on this. Personally, I generally replace them every few (3-4) years on my cars. They're cheap, and usually simple to replace. If you live in a region that uses MTBE in the fuel, filters may clog sooner than other regions, due to the trait that this type of fuel mixture has to pull all the crud out of your fuel tank and send it down stream.
    There isn't one.

There is a strainer in the tank that does not require regular maintenance.
    Wow, I've never heard of a strainer before. That explains why there isn't a service interval.

Thanks Maltb!
    to check underneath MPV for fuel filter. I cannot believe there is no filter.

TB
    It's pissing them off that several manufacturers (honda included) have taken away that upsell.
    Well, anything that makes IffyLube upset... I'm all for it. ;)
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    A poster at another board was looking at the MPV and was wondering about tether locations for the 3rd row seats. She is in Canada and tethers there are mandatory and she brought up a good point about what to do if you have 3 in car seats. She was told by the salesman there that there are only locations for them with the 2nd row chairs. Anyone aware of any others?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    is located near the hatch opening, by the hatch striker (?) but more on the drivers side of the back. Confusing, eh?

Basically, look in the floor cargo area in the back and look on the vertical surface near the hatch latch. There should be a carpet tab (hidden, perhaps) that pulls up revealing the tether anchor location. This should be on the driver side of the vehicle, maybe within a foot of the rear hatch latch. At least that's where it is for ours.

Hope that helps,
    -Brian
  • docablasdocablas Member Posts: 9
    i the '02 model, a piece of round plastic with a tether sign is right beneath the tab in the carpet which has to be peeled off in order to reveal the tether anchor.
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Just noticed that the 2002 MPV 3.0 liter has a timing chain... that saves about $400 in 60,000 miles...
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    This will make the mazda mpv buyers happy....Honda has just announced an extended warranty for the Oddy. minivan, and other honda/acura products because the trannys are comming apart. This is problem that big bad honda company can't seem to make go away. A 2% failure rate is huge....

Gee whiz....everyone tells me they are perfect. hahaha. Ok, I'll stop gloating, our Acura store is in this mess..

Guess this makes the MPV shine even more!!!
    Rich, I'm laughing on the inside. Okay, okay, I'm laughing on the OUTside. :)