Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Seems like mine has a belt driven alternator.
  • red13red26red13red26 Member Posts: 2
    Loubct,

I have a 7/03 build 330Ci (purchased 10/03) that just sat for 4 days and now has a dead battery. Do you have the TSB # for the software changes to the climate control? Thanks.
  • loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    red13red26

I am at work now and do not have access to this info. I will send message later in the day from home with the TSB info. Sure sounds like the same problem.
  • red13red26red13red26 Member Posts: 2
    Loubct,

Thank you very much. At least I can go to the dealer with the TSB number and tell them to get this fixed. Thanks again.
  • loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    Sorry for the delay. The link is below. I heard that BMW is supposed to start notifying owners.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1818- 6
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    The computer module that controls these two just went out on our 2003 325i at 3500 miles. After checking the car,the dealer said the standard braking system will work until the replacement part comes in. Has anyone else run into this problem? And, are we safe in continuing to drive this car while waiting for the part?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    I haven't had this problem, but what the dealer says is consistent with what I have always heard. Failure of the ABS system will not affect the ability of your brakes to function normally.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• marcb1marcb1 Member Posts: 3
    In August, my 2003 325XI AUTO Tranny dashboard light went on. Open Road BMW and BMW NA said it needed to be replaced even though it only had 3000 miles on it. I was informed that the dealer would replace it with a used rebuilt tranny. I thought this was unacceptable for such a new car, especially a BMW.

I complained to the dealer manager and up the ladder at BMW NA. The dealer said that their hands are tied because they must follow BMW NA's directives. BMW NA said the problem was not out of the ordinary for a new BMW with 3000 miles and therefore follow standard procedure of installing used parts at Open Road BMW in Edison NJ.

I found it hard to believe this problem is common amoung BMWs with 3000 miles. But after reading some the messages it seems to be a trend.

I wonder if owners are aware that BMW only replaces transmissions with USED parts and no compensation for lower residual value.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    Like others in this forum, my 2003 BMW 330 xi has a transmission that will not engage when I put it in drive each morning. I was beginning to learn to live with it since the delay in engagement was about 2-3 seconds. My car was recalled to have the climate control module recoded since it could drain the battery by not turning off. I took this opportunity to leave the vehicle overnight at the dealership for them to see whether they could confirm the transmission slip. They confirmed the problem and have ordered a new transmission for me. I am concerned about having a major job of this type performed on a new vehicle. Should I learn to live with the transmission slip instead of having the transmission replaced? If I do have the transmission replaced how will this likely affect the general performance and value of the car in the future? The BMW dealership is relatively small and has performed about 3-4 transmission replacements on these vehicles. One assumes that the car is manufactured in Germany by much more experienced technicians. I'd appreciate opinions about this matter. Thanks, Jason
    This has come up in other forums. There really are no "new" transmissions to put in an '03. All tranmission replacements are with "rebuilt" transmissions.

But, the parts aren't "used". Only the housing is used. All the parts inside are new parts.

The dealer could completely rebuild your transmission at the dealer using all new parts. But, your car would be out of service for weeks while they did it. Also, they have no experience doing that. Not to mention, they don't know specifically what part is bad in your transmission. They just know it doesn't work right.

The rebuilt transmission comes from a factory that does nothing but rebuild transmissions. They take a "used" housing (like what is coming out of your car), and tear out all the parts. New parts are used to entirely rebuild the transmission. When they finish, it is the same as a brand new one, except for the used housing. And, it has been rebuilt by someone that does specifically that job, and has done it hundreds of times.

None of this info is specific to BMW, it is how all transmission replacements are done. The problems isn't specific to BMW either. Just check around on the Honda Accord, Acura TL boards. Honda had a lot of transmission problems between '99 and '02, including my wife's Accord. Replaced at 18K miles, with no problems after that..turned it back in at 52K miles.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was under the impression that there was a recall for the slipping transmission on '03s as well... I think they just download new software.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• brdgplyrbrdgplyr Member Posts: 5
    We bought 04 325i automatic about 3 months ago. now 1200 miles. every morning, I take out the car from garage in reverse. then when i put in D and give gas, nothing happnes for about 3 sec. Then with a jerk, car will move forward. Talked to dealer and they do not seem to take it seriously. Kept car for 2 days and said nothing was wrong. I think it has serious design flow. We all owners should do something about this. What can we do? Please voice your opinion. I am frustrated.
    Dont even want to think about replacing transmission. They will mess it up, once they open it up
    Also, i get only 14/15 mpg in city and not happy at all. have not gone on long trips. so dont know hwy milaege. is that normal? i use 93 octane premium.
    we bought 325i because we wanted luxury car without leather seats. cosidered lexus es330, Infinity G35, acura. but all have leather seats. only bmw 3 series comes with fake leather. so we bought it. but so far not thrilled with the car. any suggestion to calm us down. thanks.
    Can you reproduce the problem at the dealer? Does it happen first thing in the morning, when the car is cold? The dealer may have to keep it overnight.

All cars can be fixed, that's what the warranty is for. Ensure your dealer can actually see, hear and feel the problem.

I have the 3L engine and I get between 20 and 32mpg. I average 24-26 with a mixture of city/highway driving. I get 20, when I sit in traffic. I get 32 going 70 on the open road.

Good luck getting your problems fixed. to put it in perspective, even Lexus has had their share of problems, no manufacturer is immune.
    Thanks kyfdx, this is useful information. Not knowing much about tranny replacements, like brdgplyr I'm afraid that the dealership might mess up the car during the installation. Is the rebuilt tranny a kind of modular unit that is easy to install without interfering with other other components? I would hate to replace a short morning delay in transmission engagement with a host of more annoying problems. Your point about rebuilt transmissions is very interesting. If it is indeed true that most 2003 and 2004 3-series vehicles have this problem, where will BMW get all the needed rebuilt transmissions for these owners? They are apparently not doing a recall for this problem but will replace the tranny for customers who complain about it. Thanks again for your informative reply. This board is a great help to those of us who face BMW problems. Thanks, Jason
  • brdgplyrbrdgplyr Member Posts: 5
    i talked to dealer about transmission slip in the morning. He says they are aware of it. BMW engineers knew about the problem. They are keeping HUSH-HUSH. No recall. Service manager says they will replace transmission with improved version, if I want to?
    what does it mean If I want to?
    car has only 1200 miles and I have to replace trans.??? Feel horrible about this.
    What is the advise from fello 04 BMW 325i owners?
    just afraid that they might mess up something else.
    my poor mileage has anything to do with trans. slippage.
    i appreciate any help I can get on this issue.
    Please respond. Thanks all.
    I too would appreciate the input of others with more expertise on this topic. I have, however, more or less decided to go ahead with the replacement. I don't know whether the problem will get worse with time. Currently, it is a moderate nuisance. I agree that it is very disappointing that a company that claims to offer such a remarkable vehicle has a fairly casual attitude to what should be considered a serious problem in any vehicle. This experience alone will make me go back to a Japanese car next time. I have owned several without any problems. Jason
  • ted49ted49 Member Posts: 6
    I had a problem engaging forward gear in my 2003 330xi when it was cold. It was repaired last week by Park Ave BMW by replacing the forward gear drum and so far the fix worked and the car runs great. A complete transmission replacement was not required.
    First.. let me say that I am very glad I don't have this problem on my '03. I can imagine the frustration on a new car.

I think before I would swap the transmission out, I would run my car by a different dealer's service department. As ted49 has related, his was fixed by doing a repair to the existing transmission. brdgplyr: I can understand your frustration with your dealer. Your car doesn't work properly, and they say "We can swap it, if you want to". As if it is an option to just keep driving it the way it is...shewwwww.

jasond: I have owned many Japanese cars (including what I'm driving now), and they didn't get their good reputations by accident. I expect my BMW to be more of a problem and require more unscheduled repairs, greater maintenance costs, etc... But, I also expect the dealer to take serious problems seriously. I decided to make the trade-off for the driving experience of the BMW. I'd want a second opinion, before they transplanted by transmission.

All that said, my wife's previous car ('01 Accord) had the transmission replaced at 18K and never had another problem. We turned it in at 52K.

Good luck to both of you,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

To all future BMW owners I would think twice before you purchase a BMW. The free service is a nightmare. My oil level light went on at 10K and I drove into a local BMW dealer, KING BMW in Freehold, NJ. They inspected the vehicle to find that the oil level was low. They asked me to purchase it at the parts department in the same dealer. They did not have the decency to do it for the customer since it is a warranty item. I told them that I was disappointed and I would not purchase the oil myself. I even spoke to the general manager of the dealership and he sent me away for a $5 can of oil!!!! I asked if he could call BMW North America to settle the non issue he was making a issue of. He refused so I went on my way and I called BMW North America myself. They said this should not have taken place and they will try to resolve this issue. Meanwhile, my oil level is still low and if the engine blows it will be BMW's problem not mine! This is the second time I have had major issues with this vehicle. I would never purchase another BMW especially from KING BMW.
    Marcb1
    marcb1 - I don't get it. You have issues with both Open road and King. You went to two dealers in 8 days, according to your posts. While I appreciate the warning, I know of both dealers first hand and they both give exemplary service. Is oil between services actually a covered item in the B-B warranty? I don't know as I have bought two quarts of BMW oil and add it on occasion when I need it, to avoid the trip to the dealer.

I hope you get your problems ironed out, but it seems there is something else going on.
    kdshapiro-

The Open Road BMW issue occurred @3K and that is where I purchased the vehicle. This other oil issue happened yesterday @10K. In the warranty service manual page 2, it specifically mentions that oil is considered a warranty item since it is a normal wear and tear item. The customer should not have to go to the parts department and purchase it himself when it is covered under warranty. Open Road offered to refill the oil but I was passing by KING at the time.
    I am also an owner of a LEXUS and the service does not even compare. They never treat a customer like this! LEXUS charges for service but its well worth it to be treated right!! BMW's free service is not worth the time or the energy in dealing with the unpleasant dealerships and unkept loaner cars!
    "BMW's free service is not worth the time or the energy in dealing with the unpleasant dealerships and unkept loaner cars!"

Sorry it has been your experience, it has not been my experience. I agree with you in that Lexus has the customer service thing down pat, while BMW is beginning to get it. but I believe the my service experience at this dealer is the same as family's service experience with their local Lexus dealer.

The service dept in that dealership has treated me very well. Even going out of their way to make right on one issue that wasn't necessarily a warranty issue. The loaner cars I received were clean, and low mileage 325is.

It's tough having a lousy service experience. So while I can understand your frustration, I can't say I have experienced what you experienced. But for yucks, the next time I'm low on oil I will head over to the dealership and see what they say.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I read your discourse with this poster with some interest since his dealer experience was quite different from that of mine also. However, I must differ with you in that you said you would try to drive over to the dealer when your car is low on oil to see how your dealer handles it. I would always bring the oil up to the proper level, even if it was only half a quart low. Why do you want to risk any potential engine damage to check out your dealer? I never have had to put in any oil between changes after the first 5000 miles. This holds true for all the cars I have owned.
    The only gripe I can make about my dealer is that they have very few BMW loaners, so they either provide me the ride to my home/office or give me an Enterprise rental car (at their expense).
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    I guess each BMW service departments run their shops differently. My '03 325i's yellow oil light came on around 5K miles. I took it to the dealer that I purchased the car from and the service manager just added a quart on the spot (without any griefs about it being a warranty or a non-warrantly) and gave me some to take home to add in the future.

I have always heard that the dealership where you purchased your BMW treats you better than another dealership. I don't know if my experience was because I purchased it there. In the 10 months of ownership, I had to take it back for service 5 times, ranging from xenons not working to failed temp. gauges, so I have had my share of frustration with this car but the only saving grace for BMW as a brand was that the service department has been great.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I've never had issue with low levels of oil and BMW not handling it.

BMW of Bakersfield (CA) has been exemplary. The one time I had the low oil light come on, I called them about it and they said to come in and they topped it off with no questions asked.

I have found that your attitude going in has a lot to do with how they treat you. I have been very cordial even when I had a computer controller fail. I was upset, yes, but I wasn't rude about it. As a result, they arranged for me to drop off the car on a non-service day, and managed to get me a car off the lot for me (since all loaners were out and service was closed). They had it fixed the next business day after I got off work.

My other incident happened 1,000 miles after my warranty went out (window actuators). I called about 1, they said bring it in. They fixed and replaced them with no problem - this AFTER the warranty was expired. I called, realizing they would be doing me a HUGE favor, and I went to them basically with hat in hand, asking very nicely if they could handle it since it was just 1,000 over warranty (2002 model).

I have noticed the same dealer being a bit hesitant with people who storm in there expecting to be given the moon for a small issue, so I've learned that attitude is everything. This is not to say that you were being that way here, but it is something to consider. If BMW had denied the top-off of the oil, I would have asked what oil they recommend, bought it at 4.00/quart, filled my car myself, and know where I stand with that kind of service. I'd also know, though, that my car had the proper oil level and I wouldn't have to worry about my engine dying due to lack of lubrication.

To rule out BMW on the basis of a couple of dealer experiences, IMO is a bit harsh. If that was the case, I'd never buy another Honda, as my experiences there were MUCH worse when I had my Civic Si.

-Paul
    Thanks for the advice. My car doesn't seem to need oil very frequently. I'm now 9K past the 15K service. Based on the dipstick another 1-2K and I'll need to add a quart of oil. As I said I do have oil at home, for the $10 the oil costs, it's the piece of mind knowing I can add it any time.

As a side thought, when I have brought the car in for service in the past, there is a note on the customer write-up that states, topped all fluids. Now that we talk about it, I remember the dealer saying to me when I picked up the car, if it needs anything "even oil", bring it in.

The last thing these dealers need is bad press, so it has me scratching my head as to why they would be obstinate about a quart of oil.
  • mark_mmark_m Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone experienced intermittent, short term failures for a Xenon headlight? My driver side lamp sometimes will fail to fire up on cold/lukewarm starts (so it seems.)

I have cured by giving a little time running with one light and cycling the headlamps off and back on with some success. Trying to assess whether this is an indication of upcoming maintenance 'opportunity'. I have a 3/03 build date 330i.

Thanks.
  • etgetg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 325Ci, The owners manual recommends using "BMW High Performance Synthetic oil", Is that the only oil you can use, how about an aftermarket such as Castrol?
    Thanks
    ETG
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As a rule, the after market Castrol available here in the U.S. is NOT a fully synthetic oil (although I have heard that there is some German Castrol making its way into our market) and I don't believe that it meets the standards set forth by BMW (I understand that the German stuff does). I use Mobil-1 0w-40 which not only meets BMWs standards, but those of Mercedes-Benz and Porsche (among others) as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've never had a problem either, erickpl. You are dead on about one's attitude affecting the quality of the service. Back in 1998 my Club Sport required an Insp. II soon after my return from the CCA Ofest in Orlando. Without my asking the dealer replaced the LF wheel center cap under warranty. The cap's "defect" was a 0.5" hole that I had drilled in it so that I could mount the speed sensor of our electronic rally computer.
  • jenno2jenno2 Member Posts: 13
    Interesting discussion on the dealer's response to this issue. First off, I was somewhat surprised to even have the add oil light go on around 10,000 miles. I guess I figured, given other cars I have owned, I never had to add oil. Given this, I did take it to my local dealer (not who I bought it from) on a Sunday. Big mistake. They looked at me like I was from Mars. Even if I was interested in buying a car, these people would not even get out of their seats. This is brand new location for this dealer in the Southern California. I imagine they are still workig out the kinks. Most likely this is where I will take my car for service when it reaches the 15,000 mile mark.
    Regarding the type of oil, the oil cap said use Castrol Synthentic, so I did it myself. No big deal. I guess I will need to stock up on the oil. I will say other than the oil, the car is a dream to drive. I love it. We will see about the "no cost" service later.
    "First off, I was somewhat surprised to even have the add oil light go on around 10,000 miles."

Ummm, actually, I would be concerned if the car didn't use some oil. If an engine does not use any oil at all, then that means that the valve guides are not being properly lubricated, and that can lead to premature failure.

As for your comment about the other cars you owned and not needing to add oil to them. How many of them had a 15,000 mile oil change? If you had run those same cars for 10,000 miles without changing the oil, would they have gone the entire distance without consuming a quart of oil? I've owned eleven cars that I bought new. Said eleven cars were built in Japan, America and Germany, and not one of them has been able to go over 10,000 miles without adding at least a quart (I'm extrapolating here as the first nine required oil changes at 7,500 miles or less).

I wrote you all of this to suggest that your BMW is not faulty and that it is in fact operating as it should and as it was designed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Good point. Well taken. Nothing meant to say that BMW is defective. Just a new experience. By the way looking at the previous discussion about what brand of oil to use, do you see a difference between the Mobil-1 and the Castrol recommended on the oil cap?
    Hmmm, before I offer you my own personal views on what oil I use and why, let me state that I am not a petroleum engineer, and have never sent my oil out for analysis, so everything I have to offer is totally anecdotal.

First, when one is asked to decide between Mobil-1 and Castrol Synthetic, then one needs to choose between three different and distinct oils. I'll start with the least desirable (from my perspective):

3) Castrol Syntec. My understanding is that this oil is not a true synthetic oil (it is instead a tweaked conventional petroleum based oil), and as such, I won't use it.
    2) BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil, made by Castrol, probably the same stuff as the “German Castrol” making its way into the U.S. market. This is the oil that came in your crankcase and the oil that your dealership uses for your 15,000 mile oil changes. On my previous BMW, a 1999 328i, I elected to adhere to the recommended 15,000 mile oil change interval, and after 30,000 miles, I happened to check inside the cam cover and what I saw and smelled did not please me. I saw varnish all over every surface that did not come into regular contact with another surface, and I smelled a smell that reminded me of how engines that were run on Quaker State or Pennzoil (Pennsylvania Grade Crude) used to smell during an overhaul. Yuk!
    1) Mobil-1. I have used this oil in every car I've had since the late 1970s, and I've experienced things such as virtually spotless internal engine components at high mileage, less frequent valve lash adjustments (I started using Mobil-1 in a VW Scirocco that required valve adjustments every 15,000 miles, however, after continually checking, my dealership finally did the first actual adjustment at 75,000 miles) and no turbo charger replacements (I drove two different MOPAR turbos a total of 160,000 miles from the mid 1980s to the early 1990s as did many of my family and friends, neither of my cars required a turbo replacement, all of theirs did, some of them twice).

So, do I see a difference? Well, I think there is a difference, and that's enough for me.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for your input. It seems to be the consensus. Does BMW only offer the BMW High Performance, or do they offer Mobil? (Sounds naive, I know, but this is all new to me.)
    The BMW dealerships that I have visited, three in all, have used BMW oil exclusively.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    do you get your filters from the dealer or do you have some place that orders them for you?

My dealership is a 2 hour drive from work (1 from home) and would like to switch to the Mobil-1 0W40 (is that the right grade) in my 2.5L engine. If I could avoid having to go to the dealer, that would be great. :)

-Paul
    When I lived in New Jersey, I bought oil filters and brake parts from Steve at the Ultimate Garage (a very cool guy), the BMW portion of his site can be found at the following link:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/bmwparts.html

You might also give the BMW shop that I currently buy my goodies from up here in New Hampshire, they're called 3D Auto Works, Inc., and can be reached at 603-882-3400.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    Mark,

My 2003 325i (03/03 build) had the same problem as you are describing -- the driver side Xenon intermittently won't fire. I took it back to the dealer and he did some sort of a "reprogramming" (I was never sure as I picked it up without speaking to the service adviser who was responsible -- he was not there when I picked it up). I never got a call from him even after I left a voicemail. But it was fixed and since then, I have not had any troubles. I noticed that now both lamps fire up faster than it did before.
    If you are going to follow the SI schedule I would run the M1 0W-40; FWIW, German Castrol, BMW Castrol and M1 0W-40 are the only readily available oils that meet the BMW LL-01 "Longlife" specs. I've run M1 15W-50, BMW 5W-30 Synthetic, and Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic in my wife's 528iA, but note that my SI indicator usually calls for at @9000 mile intervals. I suspect that the M1 0W-40 is the best choice-and I plan to switch the 5er over to it at the next Inspection.
  • islander71islander71 Member Posts: 25
    Yesterday I noticed on my 2002 330I that my passenger front signal bulb was out. Then a few hours later it was fine and it worked. Last night the red notice in the dash display came back on again and it is not working. Has anyone else had this happen? It seems to me that there might be a short vs. the bulb being bad. Thanks.
    My current 530i is the only German car that I have ever had (going back to the late 1970s) that has not had a taillight or turn signal lamp failure. In every case, the ones that have failed have started as an intermittent failure. I might be mistaken in this, however, if memory serves, the maker of every bulb I have replaced has been Philips. I suspect that if you simply replace the bulb yourself, or have your dealer do it under warranty, the problem will prove to be a $.50 bulb.

Best Regards
    Shipo
  • foggydewfoggydew Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 330xi, 6 speed manual, which has stalled/bucked several times in low gears, particularly 1st. The car also rough started a couple of times.

Took it back to the dealer a few months ago, they said they couldn’t replicate it, told me no-one else was having a similar problem (I wonder!!!), so it wasn’t fixed. Brought it back today and they acknowledged what I was saying, apparently BMW have come out with a fix - problem with ignition coils (similar to the Audi A4 problem, except the coils don’t burn out). They replaced all the ignition coils. Hopefully it will solve my problem and perhaps help others on this board too.

Regards,
    Brian
    Shipo,

Thanks. I am going to go buy a 21 watt bulb tomorrow and swap it out.
    Buy a quality bulb such as a Sylvania Osram. Pick up a tube of bulb grease while you are at it. The bulb failure rate on my wife's 528i was significantly reduced when I started using quality bulbs. OTOH, my 1995 Club Sport has only required one bulb replacement over 85K miles. Hmmmmm...
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Also just had my ignition coils replaced this week in my 02 330i due to rough starts and uneven acceleration. How common is this problem? My service advisor diagnosed this over the phone and implied this is becoming a frequent problem.
    Stopped by the nearby dealership yesterday to buy a replacement bulb since AutoZone, Advance Auto and Napa did not have a 21 watt bulb that my 330I needed. Go figure. When I spoke to the parts guy he recommended that I also buy a bulb socket replacer. He said in his experience the contacts of the socket many times will go before the bulb. I swaped them out today and it appears everything works fine. Knock-on-wood. Thanks again for your assistance.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Hey folks. Been here on and off before buying a pre-owned 2000 323ci.

This winter, the front windows would lock (that last half-inch upward travel right after closing the door) intermittently. Now that it's warmer, the "window lock" operates 100%.

Does anyone know if this is a design feature for freezing temps or if it's an electrical glitch ?

Appreciate any thoughts...
  • mark_mmark_m Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the information. I scheduled service for today on Sunday afternoon after reading your post. Today I went in to Kelly BMW a little late for my appointment (about 1/2 hour) and was promptly given a loaner and assurance that the problem would be taken care of.

I received a call a few hours later and my SA reported they replaced the igniter and control unit. I had been in for service before and had the LSZ (light control module) reprogrammed.

While it is somewhat disheartening that I have been in for two unscheduled maintenance visits to the dealer (1800 miles - LSZ, and 8500 miles Xenon.) I have been most impressed with the quality of service offered by Kelly BMW.

Sleepy, thanks again for the info, it was helpful to know that you had a happy ending to your story.

Thanks,
    Mark