Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I'm no expert, but it kinda sounds like a transmission issue.... Do you hear any light grinding sounds when you're "lugging"? Check the transmission fluid to see if you have any burned fluid as a result...
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I believe that gordonwd drives a stick. Then again, maybe I just dreamed that somehow. :confuse:

Gordon: I'd be inclined to have your engine codes looked at, hopefully it's thrown a code that will help better diagnose the problem.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tjutju Member Posts: 20
    Both my xenon headlights (low beams) flash off and back on in a fraction of a second, more or less at random. At first I thought that it happened when I hit bumps, but now I see it happening when the car is stopped, too. I took it to the BMW dealership, but the lights wouldn't flash for them! Has anyone else seen this headlight behavior?
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi there, as a current owner of a 2005 Audi A4, I want to get you guys input and your experiences in your BMW 3 series.

When my lease experies, I sworn that I will never ever go back and lease/buy another Audi. As happy as I am with the way the car handles and its beautiful interior, I will never want to experience its unreliability again. The car has been in the shop four times since Jan 11, 2005. Plus the service department (in my opinion) its the worst I have encountered.

I am considering the 330i for my next car, but I want to hear from existing owners that have had issues with their cars. Are you happy with the overall reliability of the car? What about the service dept, are you satisfied with the way they have treated you?

I know that some might have better experiences than others, but I want to hear from both sides, those who are extremely happy and those who have been totally unsatisfied with the car.

Thanks for your input.

R

p.s. Any recommended BMW dealership in Middle/South Jersey?
  • shinbone001shinbone001 Member Posts: 12
    Shipo,
    always appreciate your input on the discussions. i have been having trouble posting a new question regarding battery on my BMW and i thought i will try to ask you a question using this method. i hope you don't mind this. sincere thanks in advance...
    i have 04 325Ci with about 43K on it. had the original battery replaced last fall;i had left the car for 4 weeks or so without using itt and the dealer deemed the original battery was drained. anyways, after they replaced the battery and told me that the car was alright and ready to be picked up, i had to wait 3 or 4 days to finally pick up the car due to my schedule. and when i finally showed up to start the car, it wouldn't start at all. they recharged the battery and off i went. when i inquired about whether it was "usual" to have a brand new battery being drained in just few days, they told me that it is not unusual for BMWs. anyways, the car was doing fine until this week. again, i did not use the car for 3 weeks due to my traveling and now it wouldn't start. do you have any suggestions? i tried to use a battery recharger(trickle charger) to no avail. would greatly appreciate your sugggestions.

Sean
    We're getting a little outside of my areas of, ummm, interest. No that's not quite correct, how about areas where I am most studied? Yeah, that's better.

Before I attempt to offer any advice regarding your situation, I think a small history lesson is in order. I am somewhat active in a number of aviation related forums as well as Edmunds, and over there the bird that I am most interested in is the old Cessna 170 (built between 1948 and 1956). Given the vintage of that plane, it isn't at all surprising that it was built not with an alternator but with a generator.

Similar to the constantly recurring "Can I use Regular gasoline in my BMW?" threads that pop up here from time to time, a fairly common thread over there is, "Can I upgrade my 1956 170B to an alternator based electrical system?"

"Yes," the old sages will always say, "however, keep in mind that unless you fly on a fairly regular basis, you will most likely experience a fully dead battery at some point. When you do, the generator based system can "remember" the proper polarity, generate its own field, and recharge a battery that is deader than a door knob. An alternator based system cannot do that because the alternator needs at least a little current from the battery to figure out the polarity situation and then to generate a field before electricity can start flowing."

Could it be that your trickle charger needs at least a little charge to remain in the battery before it can then start charging? I really don't know, as I said before, we're well beyond my normal areas of study.

As for BMWs draining batteries, yes, I've heard of that before, however, it seems to me that I've heard most of the complaints come from the E60 5-Series folks. Apparently there was a software bug that took BMW a fair amount of head scratching to figure out. Once the reprogramming was complete, the problem was solved. Could a similar problem be plaguing your car? I suppose. FWIW, I've left my BMWs (one E46 and one E39) parked at the airport for two and three weeks at a time and never experienced a dead battery.

Were I in your situation, I'd get your current battery charged or replaced, and then I would invest in a good high quality intermittent (i.e. it runs for a while, shuts off waits for a while and then starts charging again) trickle charger, which I would then connect up before every extended trip.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I wonder if anyone has measured the key off amp draw and compared it to BMW's specs?
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2003 BMW 325i manual and I have to say I love the driving experience. With that said, I have to say that in my personal experience, I have to have this car to the dealer more than I would have liked. Most of the stuff were minor but still an annoyance to make the appointment, take it there and leave it overnight.

In my 3 years, I had to replace the heat sensor, one xenon light, one back light, the ignition coil (twice), get the sunroof fixed as there was something wrong with the track and now the radio's on/off button is stuck on on. So I have been to the dealer many times in the 3 years. Yeah, it did not cost me any out of pocket money and each time I was able to get a loaner so I was not without a car. And my dealer's service department is great but from what I have read here, some service departments are good and some are not.

But I love driving this car and would purchase another one without hesitation.
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I have a 2006 330i. 7 months and 12k miles so far. Within the first month I had a problem with the headlights - the adaptive feature was not working. Had to bring the car to the dealer twice. Out of commission for about one week total. Had a 2006 330i loaner the whole time. Turned out to be just a loose wire. No problems whatsoever since then. I'll admit that I was worried about reliability, firstly before deciding to get this car, and then again after experiencing a problem in the first month of ownership. Not only is this my first BMW, but I got the first year of a new model run (so-called e90). 7 months later, I have to say so far so good. I would highly recommend this car.

Hope this helps.
  • sandyzsandyz Member Posts: 1
    my BMW :sick: looks great from the outside (still red and shiny) but under the hood I am told that the HEAD GASKET is terminal. I am suprised and disappointed that this happened to a car that I drive 4 miles a day from home to office.My questions are:
    1. Is it worth fixing a 15 year old car?
    2. Do I have any issues with BMW about a major mechanical problem in a 62,00 mile car?
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Thanks asleepy and davidd3 for your input. I really appreciated. At least your guys had positive experience with the dealers. My mistake that I made was that I did not do what I am doing now before I leased my Audi (research, research, research!!). I never minded if I had to bring a car for some minor things (albeit anyoing), as long as I am getting good service. Coming from a Lexus, where they spoil you with the service dept, you might think that everyone will be offering the same type of service.

I was somewhat comtemplating going Japanese again (Acura TL or Lexus IS). I have driven both, but they just don't drive like my Audi. I am positive that the BMW will give me the same chills from what I've read on these forums. I have a test drive schedule for this Friday on a 330i.

Well, lets see what happends,

R
    "I am surprised and disappointed that this happened to a car that I drive 4 miles a day from home to office."

I'm not. That kind of driving is very very hard on a car due to the fact that the cars' engine and various fluids rarely if ever get up to full operating temperature. This is especially hard on engine oil which needs to be brought up to at least 180 degrees in the pan (i.e. greater than 212 degrees as it circulates through the engine) in order to boil out the water that condenses inside your engine every time it's shut down and every time the ambient temperature drops (as in most evenings).

That your engine lasted 62,000 miles before its first major repair should be considered very good, regardless of make.

FWIW, with your short cycle driving pattern, I'd recommend servicing your car under the "Severe Service" schedule meaning that all fluids (except maybe brake and coolant) be changed twice as often as is otherwise called for. That and I'd go to synthetic oil as it is far more capable of holding water in suspension without forming acids that can damage your engine from the inside out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    In my case, the service I am getting from my BMW dealer on my 330i is so far better than the service I got from my Infiniti dealer on my G35. With Infiniti, I'd have to call well in advance, both to schedule an appointment and to secure a loaner car. With BMW, I have made appointments with just 1 or 2 days notice, and I have been given the same model as a loaner. In fact, I am told (though I am nervous about putting it to the test) that I could just show up with no appointment and they would accommodate me, loaner car and all. Service varies from dealer to dealer, and I will refrain from making generalizations based on my own personal experiences with one Infiniti dealer and one BMW dealer. But I thought that you might be encouraged by my observations since you said that you are contemplating going Japanese again.

Enjoy your test drive. Best of luck whatever you decide.

By the way, I'm in NY. I use a dealer in Greewich, CT. I don't know if I can say the name in this forum, so I won't. Although there sales facility is located in Greenwich, CT, their service facility (brand new, state of the art, looks like an airplane hanger) is located in Purchase, NY.
  • pmetsgerpmetsger Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 318i conv. with an electric driver window with a mind of its own. Sometimes it will not come down, sometimes it will not go up all the way. It almost seems that the window loses track of the stops/limits. I have a book that says something about initializing the window but doesn't say how. The tracks all seem to be fine. No binding, noise etc. I assume the problem is in the electrical part of the door mechinism. When it works it works fine.
    Any suggestions? Thanks, Paul
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    I think the dealer experience can be a crap shoot so even within a small geographic al area, one person can have a great experience while another might have a crappy one. At least the dealer that I went to, they "reserved" certain spots daily for emergencies so when I had my temperature sensor flip out (went to "H" immediately after the car turned on), they were able to take the car in on that day after BMW sent the flat-bed tow truck. For non-emergenices, if I wanted a loaner, I had to make an appointment and it was usually a week's wait. Once I got there, I was given a choice of loaner cars -- either a 3 series coupe, 3 series sedan or an x3.

Best of luck.
  • blackiblacki Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1993 318i that had the same problem. I replaced the switch and voila!, problem solved. Fairly easy to do yourself, if you're so inclined. I am not an electrical or mechical geewhiz kid, so if I can do it, most anyone can. :shades:
  • svvrssvvrs Member Posts: 2
    Bought an used 1999 323i year ago, since then I been facing problems with frequent misfires. First misfire happended in cylinder#6 2 months after I bought it, and got it fixed from a dealer, after 2 more months misfire in cylinder#2. After 2 more months cam shaft sensor gone bad. Now after few more months its again started running sluggish and I feel this is a symptom of one more misfire. It has 78K miles now and no warrenty, I'm really wondering how in the world this kind of quality issues happen to a car like BMW, I guess their quality and reliability is going DOWN the hill.... :lemon:
  • paulq101paulq101 Member Posts: 1
    Some very recent research indicates the BMW 330i has the best pricing in its class. On a comparably equipped car, the 330i (list $43,895) was over $100 less per month then the IS 350 (list $43069) and about $60 less than the Audi 4 3.2L. Plus, it's almost impossible to get a sports package on either the Lexus or Audi. The lease was for 36 months/36K miles with $3K out of pocket. The Acura TL with a list of about $35K was $469 per month with $4400 out of pocket. Pretty much the same numbers with the G35. It appears BMW's residual is about 64%!
    It has 78K miles now and no warrenty(sic)

How time flies; it seems like only last September when you eloquently opined:

I always had very good impression on BMWs, but everything changed since I actually bought one. On an unfortunate day I bought a used 99 BMW 323i with 70K miles, got it inspected by a BMW dealer who said "This car is really good, buy it". At that time I didn’t realize why he said that, until I stared paying almost $1000/- every month to him on some trashy problems keep on occurring. Worst part is it has no warranty on it. It started running sluggish, CHECK ENGINE light keep coming and dealer has been fixing some thing or other every time it comes on and still it comes almost every 2 weeks with a new problem. Now I'm going to Trade-In that for a much reliable Japanese Luxury car which I once had. Long term quality and reliability must be improved. Anyway I am not going buy another BMW in my life. And I will tell the same thing to anyone who asks about a BMW.

If you have a legitimate question there are several of us who would be more than willing to help you. If you simply want to rant and vent, I suggest that you take your own advice and buy a FWD Japanese appliance.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    unfortunately a head gasket deteriorates not only with use but with age. Did you remember to flush out the coolant every 2 or 3 years? Also watch out for a cracked cylinder head on the year and model and be prepared for that possibility. By all means have the cylinder head tested when you replace the gasket.

If the car is otherwise nice, you might as well fix it, because it's not worth much with a bad head gasket.
  • salmazsalmaz Member Posts: 3
    I can't yet speak about reliability as my new 330i is currently being built, but in response to your "p.s.", I would strongly urge you to visit Princeton BMW and see Bob Sherlock. I had been to 3 different dealerships and Princeton is by far the best run, gave me the best price, and my client advisor (as they are called), was the most responsive, courteous and professional individual I've dealt with. :)
  • thomas17thomas17 Member Posts: 2
    :( I have a 2003 3301 BMW. It seems that every time I put gas in the tank, the service engine light comes on. I have made sure that the cap is pushed in and on tight. I hear the clicking. I took it to the dealer and they said they found nothing. What do you think could be wrong? Any advice would be helpful for my return trip to the dealer. Thanks in advance.
  • wellyswellys Member Posts: 1
    hey there just discovered the exact same problem as u have described today on my 2001 330i aswell let mi know if u find out what the problem is and vice versa at fist i thought it was a loose wire but no, then i thought it was the switch now i think it may be the light module. if u open the glove box and open the fuse box in there at the top u can hear a relay or somethin clickin in and out in there so maybe its that will have a closer look tomorrow in the day light and keep u posted thanx
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    I purchased a 2002 330I new (now my son has it now with approx 65K miles). It had this intermittent service light problem after filling the gas tank. The first time it happened, I called the service manager and he was aware of the problem and told me what to do. He informed me it was a design glitch and replacing parts does not fix it according to two dealers. There is a pressure sensing system in the cars gas filler/tank that sets off the service light at times. You need to remove the cap for about 15 seconds and re-install it. This will relieve the pressure and the light will go off when the gas and tank cools, when it feels like. My light extinguished immediately or after setting in the garage overnight. This happened intermittently for the 1st year I owned the car. Than it went away for 3 years and than it happened once to my son. Go Figure. I insisted on having the sensor replaced, watched them do it, was told it would not help and it did not. That is my experience.
  • thomas17thomas17 Member Posts: 2
    Replying to owner6. Thank you for the information. My next question is will this damage the engine? :confuse:
  • drivethegreendrivethegreen Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2006 330xi with less than 1000 miles on it. Today, while making a deposit at an ATM, a young girl rammed me from behind.

The damage is limited to two gouges in the plastic panel beneath the rear license plate. The gouges are about the size of a quarter and are cut into the plastic. They are actually very deep scratches with some scuffing around the edges. They are noticeable but not real deep.

Does anyone know if they can be sanded out and repainted or does a plastic panel need to be replaced? Any experience on price for replacing this panel?

Thanks,

DTG
    Based on my experience, a good body shop can refinish a scratched or gouged bumper cover so that the repair is undetectable.
  • koimankoiman Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a 325xi with a salvage title it doesn't need much work pass.door , front shock, rim, and bumper cover. Will bmw honor the warranty ? My daughter has a scion tc with salvage title and has had no problems with warranty work in fact they even performed free maintenance (oil changes).
  • bmwguy2bmwguy2 Member Posts: 13
    i work for a bmw dealership here in new jersey ,thats a tough one,why dont you simply avoid problems and put the battery on a trickle charger ,you can get at any bmw dealership,connects into cigeratte lighter,secoundly,sir your a fool,you are comparing a real car with hi tech electronics to a dodge,give me a break,the only thing that dodge has thats hi tech is the glove box amp.bmws ,any bmw will use current even with car shut off and sits for exteneded time,as a matter of fact,according to bmw warranty policy and procedure,a vehicle needing a jump start due to sitting for xtended period of time is not a warranty issue,if the battery is bad ,thats another story,but if its not driven another story,bmws sir are hi tech please dont insult your intelligence by comparing it to a dodge ,dodge could not build anything close to a bmw,they try with a mercedes .and they are struggling ,the radio,alarm all use a low amperage even when off,sit in the bmw with the car off ,and there is a red led that blinks ,well where does the power come from ,the master generator in the sky????????????get real sir,
  • bmwguy2bmwguy2 Member Posts: 13
    fyi,bmw will not honor any warranty needed work,as a matter of fact ,when a bmw vehicle goes to a dealerrship,they run whats called a dcs,it gives the info on the car ,engine trans date of production,options ,warranty info ,customer name and any warraty info ,restrictions if any ,go to a bmw dealer ship and have him run the vin and see what comes up,i work for a bmw dealership here in new jersey and from what i have seen,bmw will not cover the vehicle when its salvaged,the vechicle could have a seriuos problem which why it was salvaged to begin with ,then it becomes a legal issue if something was to happen to the caris it a fault of bmw or the reason why it was salvaged
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    DTG,
    The insurance companies will replace a 2006 auto bumper. Thats why this Girl has insurance. Get it replaced at the BMW body shop. Its a new car and deserves a new bumper, not some second rate fix. The girls insurance co is obligated to give you a rental car.. keep us posted.

Owner-6
    no...salvage title means no warranty, period. If Scion is doing it, she just lucked out or the repair was emissions related. I guess you can give it a try....Also your insurance company may not pay for repairs if it is unaware that the car is under salvage title, and if it finds this out.

here's what CARFAX says:

"Vehicles with titles that have been branded as salvaged, scrapped, or dismantled are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty, with the exception of applicable emissions warranties. For further information regarding the branding of vehicle titles, please contact your state's department of motor vehicles."
  • jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    I feel your pain. A minivan backed into my '04 after I owned it for 5 days. Any decent body repair shop will remove the bumper, sand it out, mix their own paint to match, repaint and then paint the clear coat. After putting it back on, you will not know the difference, The only drawback is if it happens again, you will need a new bumper, as they can only be sanded so much.
    Repairing the BMW bumper is around $300-350. A new one for a Mazda Protege (my daughter was rear-ended twice, one minor repair, one bumper replacement) is $500. I'm guessing a new BMW bumper will be slightly more.
    "a legal issue if something was to happen to the caris it a fault of bmw or the reason why it was salvaged " My car will undergo an inspection by the state I think this would absolve any legal issues. I also see many cars with no damage at all that sell as salvage simply because they are stolen and insurance has paid off before recovery. I currently own a mini and have had a positive experience with them so I'll call my dealer when the car is road ready and hope for the best.
    Why do you think you were able to buy that E46 for such a low price?
    Hmmm...
    Could it possibly be because it has a (drum roll) SALVAGE TITLE?
    Which means a savvy buyer would realize that the sled:
    Likely has NO warranty coverage,
    Will probably have a trade-in value somewhere south of a 1998 Kia with 250,000 miles,
    AND
    Possibly be uninsurable.
    You see, as Robert Heinlein always said, TANSTAAFL(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch); the money you "saved" by buying the heap will be spent paying for work that would normally be covered by the OEM warranty-not to mention the hit you will take when you try to sell it. If it wasn't an xi, I'd think that maybe you could find a CCA Club Racer who might want it. But it is and you won't. Just out of curiosity, how many pieces was the car in when you bought it?
    insurance companies don't like to pay for the same car twice, so you'd best check if they will cover you in an accident...I kinda doubt it but sometimes they will if they know all the circumstances of the total.
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    Okay, for two seasons I have been switching back and forth between a set of summer wheels/tires and a winter set. In the fall I had trouble getting one of the wheels off the hub and needed help from a local repair shop. Now I have another wheel I can't get off after the winter. First thing I'm gonna do is get a floor jack so I can really bang on the wheel to get it off. But I'm wondering if there is a compound I can put on the hub to keep the wheels from "freezing" to the hub. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks...
    Why the attitude? I bought this car for myself not to sell and make a buck. I've had a offer of 21000 for it by a customer of the body shop but selling was never my intention. I've owned 4 salvage title car in my life all restored by the same bodyshop and I've had no troubles with any of them. When looking for this type of car I've notice that why the insurance co. salvage one car and not another is almost impossible to understand. The car I bought is low mileage and very lightly damaged I've known other people who owned your basic domestic car that were heavily damaged and even required clips that the insurance co. gave clear title. I realize the salvage title hurts the trade in value but if you research it you will see its in the 20 to 30% range and having photos of your car before the restore are helpful. Keep an open mind you may learn something.
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    sorry for the delay to your question but i have been extremely happy with the michelin pilot sports. incredible tire!

my wife did not a curb pretty hard and a bubble did show up but we went over to discount and the tire was replaced free of charge since we bought the "no questions asked" tire replacement policy for ~$25 a tire. best insurance ever! no, it's not prorated, a completely new tire

when i get some time, i'm going to take my other new sports cars over there and get the insurance on my existing tires - they'll do this after inspecting them to make sure that they are relatively new and free of issues
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    I have a 2004 330i and after over 40 yrs of driving many different cars this is the most enjoyable and reliable car so far. My son has 2005 320i and he also loves it.
    My dealer is great...I am in Canada.
    I would be very surprised if you test drive one and do not like it ?!
    Regards,
    Webby
  • yahooguy77yahooguy77 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Guys,

I am an owner of 2006 BMW 325i with Navigation option. I bought it in late November and loving it. However last evening, out of nowhere my Navigation system started acting weirdly. It shows me wrong current location of my car. Also when I feed in new destination it starts with voice command " your route is in the display direction" but then never guides me further. Also on the map my car is shown at some other location (I don't live there nor have been there) and the current location never changes. I am taking my car to a dealership this weekend to get this checked.

Any input on this will be appreciated.

Thanks
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I have the same problem. I saw a product called Wheelmates by Kleen Wheels at Bavarian Auto for $19.95. These are thin non-metallic discs that install between the wheel and rotor to prevent sticking. I'm thinking of buying these, does anyone have any experience with the product?

The part number is 4505 at www.bavauto.com.
    It's a two-way street with salvage cars, to wit:

"whatever got you into a car cheap when you buy it, will in turn penalize you when you sell it".

If you understand that, then there's no problem with owning a salvage car....presuming somebody put it back together again correctly of course.

You will find a trend developing these days in the insurance industry to salvage more and more cars rather than fix them.
  • sheepdgsheepdg Member Posts: 12
    Use a liberal dose of anti-sieze on the hubs and save youself a workout with a dead blow hammer next time.

Be careful on the Kleen Wheels. In some cases they can restrict airflow to the rotors/calipers & pads which is not a good thing when your brakes start heating up. Also, most dealers won't provide warranty/maintenace on your brake system if you tool into the dealership wanting maintenance or warranty repair work with these installed!
  • jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    i use a rubber mallet and a few good hits around the tire. works every time for me.
  • iakona1107iakona1107 Member Posts: 1
    For the past couple of months my exhaust has been making a roaring noise that is almost unbearable in the backseat. Can someone tell me what the problem is? and what is the easiest way to fix it? thanks
    that's something you need to look at right away, since you don't want exhaust gases leaking into the car. Any competent muffler shop should be able to locate the leak, but don't replace with a cheap muffler. Maybe just a connection came loose.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    I have a kinda basic question. My 330xi has picked up some asphalt behind the front and rear tires from road repairs in my area. I neglected it for a time and it now has hardened and I cannot remove it by simply washing the area. Is there any way I can remove this material without causing damage to the paint work? Incidentally I have the metallic silver color. Thanks, Jason
  • wjc12345wjc12345 Member Posts: 10
    Greetings All,

Owner of a 2004 325i. Brought in my car for yearly "check-up" and finally got 1 problem "solved". Since the very begining, my radio display (LCD) was fragmented/extremely hard to read in cold weather. You'd have to wait 20 minutes before the car was warmed up, and then were finally able to read the radio station display. The dealership finally replaced the radio unit. When I picked up the car, I checked to see if the display was easily readable - and it was. However, once I got home, and was re-programming station pre-sets, I realized that the "ST" (denoting stereo was not appearing on any FM band stations, and the AM band now diplayed numbers in MHZ's & LHZ's - I am now totally unable to receive AM band stations. It almost seems like the radio has not been "Americanized" for U.S. radio reception. I live in Long Island & purchased car in Manhattan, so I couldn't just turn around & go back. They are closed today (Good Friday), and I can try my luck with a dealer near me - but I was wondering if there is a "quick Fix" to this problem. I read the "radio manual" cover to cover and found no help there.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas.
    There are special tar removers you can buy at auto parts stores. I have heard that WD-40 softens it up, too but I would test that on a very inconspicuous part of the paint first, like the front air dam, way down underneath.