Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Castrol is the factory fill. In all but the M cars it is labeled as BMW Synthetic 5W-30, and it is NOT the same as Castrol Syntec 5W-30. The only OTC Castrol oil that has LL-01 approval is Syntec 0W-30, AKA "GC" or "German Castrol".

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    2006 330xi

Dropped off car at BMW dealership for oil/filter change. After that, drive door cannot be unlocked (actuator seems broken). Dealer says they couldn't have possibility caused it because door panel wasn't touched. Prior to that no problem with the locking mechanism. :mad:

Is it possible for someone to open the door via latch that would have caused this?

If on purpose, depress down the lock button while trying to unlock would break it?
    For now I can manually unlock the door from outside with the metal key inside the remote.
  • uncletouncleto Member Posts: 45
    Just want to know if anybody knows what a P1028 code means. i used an actron obd2 reader. many thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    year make model please.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    edited July 2010
    No US spec BMW has had a timing belt since late 1991.

I wasn't sure about the specifics, but I also thought that no current model BMW's used timing belts.
  • ginritaginrita Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input, I drove her home yesterday. What a ride!
    So sorry for missing that info. its a 2001 325ix wagon. so far ive been driving the car and the check engine light just went off. i plugged in the code reader and it said pending code. i havent erase it yet just in case i have to bring it to my mechanic. Thanks.!!!
    Oh well if it went off, don't worry about it. I have lots of stored codes in my MINI that don't mean anything, and the components they relate to are working perfectly. If a fault is set, the car's computer gives it a chance to clear itself up before it throws, or re-throws, a check engine light. I certainly wouldn't pay a mechanic to dig into an old code.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    Oil change at the dealership is expensive, I have info how to do it but I do not know how to reset the light. Please, help.
    Best regards
    Thanks! will keep in touch.
    Step 1
    Insert key into slot
    Step 2
    Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
    Step 3
    Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
    Step 4
    You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
    Step 5
    When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
    Step 6
    You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Door lock systems are usually a series of cams and metal levers held together with metal or plastic clips. I'm guessing that, for whatever reason, one of those clips broke or a connecting rod fell out. If you can pull the inside door panel off, there's usually an inspection/access port inside of the door lock that will let you see the workings.

When you use the remote, do you hear the actuator working?

Will the driver's side lock release of you manually try to open the passenger side door or the trunk?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    According to my manual, I should be able to set audio sound for locking and unlocking my doors on my 08 328i. I have visual confirmation, but unable to set audio.
  • beachbumkgbeachbumkg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 328i with about 25K miles on it and just curious as to what maintenance work I should think about in the upcoming months.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    Dear roadburner,
    thank you very much!
    Best regards, Lehrer1
    edited July 2010
    I have a 2007 328i with about 25K miles on it and just curious as to what maintenance work I should think about in the upcoming months.

I'm assuming that you intend to keep the car for a while, so I'd follow this schedule:

Oil and Filter- Every 8,000-9,000 miles, using a BMW filter and either BMW 5W-30 Synthetic, Castrol Syntec 0W-30, or Mobil 1 0W-40

MT oil or ATF- every 50,000 miles using BMW proprietary fluids

Brake Fluid Change- Every two years using a DOT 4 fluid; ATE Super Blue, BMW DOT 4, and Castrol LMA are good choices

Coolant- Every 3-4 years; BMW coolant only

You shouldn't need brakes for 90,000-100,000 miles at least

Tires should last 40,000-50,000 miles

Glad to help, Lehrer1!

• michele16michele16 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I had written earlier in regards to a ?llower, front control arm bushings repair on my 2005 BMW 325ci and you had suggested taking it to an indie shop for the repair. I wondered if you could tell me what an indie shop is and how I would be able to locate one?
    Thanks!
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    edited July 2010
    Indie shops are places where the owner wears a worn leather jacket, a tattered fedora and usually carries a whip. He speaks in cliches and generally earns far more than his work is worth.

Actually, Michele, Indie means "independent" and it is a mechanic repair shop that is not affiliated with BMW directly but specializes in BMWs and possibly other imported brands. At a good indie shop, the work is just as good as at a BMW dealership, and is usually about 30-60% of the price, depending on what needs to be done. An example is Autobahn Automotive (BMW) in Natick, MA, if you happen to be in the area. Try the yellow pages under "Automotive BMW", or the modern version, the internet, under "'your town' BMW service".

Hope this helps.
    Hi! Just want to know if anybody had received a notice last year re. issue with regards to defective rear subframe and its status. went to the site and i believe BMW agreed to the out of court settlement. if anybody has info. on this will be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Yeah... what he said... or,

bimrs.org

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    I have a 2011 328I convertible with comfort access remote key. It is my preference to leave my "keys" in the car when it's in my garage so I don't forget them. I have been warned that by doing so I will discharge the battery overnight (don't know if that's the car battery or the key battery). My questions- is this a fact? Does it refer to the key battery or the car battery...and if it is the key battery will just putting in the slot to start to start the car (rather than depending on the remote featuire) charge it sufficiently to get it back up to speed.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    :P :P :P

Yeah, wish we had an indie shop around here, the closest one is 4 hours away. :(
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    You are still under the free warranty period. Are you driving frequent low mile trips or not driving much but more highway miles? You should have already done the coolant and brake fluid change (every 2 years per computer).
    Was able to search and points to faulty thermostat, low engine coolant, faulty coolant sensor and intake air sensor. im just worried that it might cause to over heat my engine. does anybody knows if it easy to replace thermostat on my 325ix wagon, 2001 w/ 70,000 miles, any imputs will be much appreciated. For now im gonna check the coolant make sure im with the max. Thanks, in advance!
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Is this your 1st manual? You DO know there are THREE pedals, right? ;)
  • kingkhalaskingkhalas Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 2009 BMW M3 sedan.

i'd like to disable the smart key while I go surfing, leave the key fob in the car, and just take the small metal key to keep in my shorts while I'm in the ocean.

My old 2008 prius had a button under the steering wheel which would proximity sensor for unlocking the doors.

Is this possible with the BMW key?
    I'm guessing he has an automatic... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    You went from an '08 Prius to an '09 M3 sedan? How's that work? Congratulations!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It couldn't be more different.

M3 makes me smile just hearing the sound of the engine.
  • k_yk_y Member Posts: 6
    I am planning to get a 2007 328xi as a Certified Pre-owned vehicle with 31k miles.
    As I am new to BMW, can anyone please tell me what all should I check for before purchasing this vehicle?
    Also, any thoughts on how much I can pay for this vehicle? The dealer is asking for $25k.

I have been an Acura driver for the past few years, and decided to move to BMW right after I drove my friend's vehicle. I could not wait, and sold my Acura to purchase a BMW. I guess I enjoyed the drive of a BMW too much.

Thanks.
    Price seems okay for a fairly low miles CPO car with AWD. I'd say the biggest concern would be if it has run-flat tires on it. You should drive the car for a distance and see if you can tolerate the inherent noise and harshness of these tires--also check them for wear, as they don't usually last very long, and they are $$$ to replace.
  • suardocsuardoc Member Posts: 1
    I wanted my first car to be special and saved for > 2 yrs for a BMW. I have my eyes set on a CPO 2008 BMW 328i with 35000 miles for $24,000. Unfortunately, my dealer has backed off the 0.9% APR, is not giving me the 2 yr maintenance for free as advertised and is asking me for an extra $2000 for a 2 yr maintenance (in addition to the $24,000).
    My questions are (1) is it beneficial to get the maintenance cost paid upfront even if the car is not being used much? (2) is the $2000 charge worth it? (3) is my dealer fleeing me now? :cry:
    If I remember correctly.... extended maintenance plan on an E90 has a list price of $2095 and a dealer cost of $1595. (At least, those were the prices in June)..

1) Not being used much? How many miles do you drive per year?

2) Somewhere around $1800 would be the price I would shoot for, if buying the plan.

3) Not sure.... why won't he honor the quoted price? There is always another used BMW coming down the road... Hundreds come off lease every week. Don't worry about this one getting away... Tell him you want the original deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'd find another dealer. The guy is being jerked around. The .09% interest and the maintenance plans are national promotions subsidized by BMW Financial.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    We have a '09 335i with 10K miles. The brakes work perfectly underway, but if the car sits for more than a day or so the pedal is as hard as a rock when I get in. It goes back to normal as soon as the engine starts. My interpretation is that the booster has lost its vacuum. Is this normal or does the system have a leak?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    That's normal behavior for any vacuum boosted brake system.
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    Had the same problem with my 09 335xi...there is a service bulletin on this but they did it and it didn't help. Much worse in the winter when the car is very cold in the am. Got so bad my wife couldn;t put enough pressure on the brake to get the car started. Finally traded the car- new (2011) 328i convertible (and also got a 2010 X3)...netiher has the problem.
    There should be enough vacuum reserve for some extra pumps without the engine running.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    took my '09 328i x in for the above.

Oil and filter change

Check fluids

Adjusted wiper blade

Scope inspection? They put a camera in the engine looking for abnormal wear?

I still have 5-6 mm left on the tires before the wear bars.

how much would this service normally run, this was under warranty?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    They did a borescope on a car with only 15,000 miles? Hmmm, I wonder why.
    how much would this service normally run, this was under warranty?

You had an Oil Service performed- but BMW does not call for a boroscope inspection at an Oil Service, an Inspection I, or an Inspection II. Like shipo, I don't understand why it was done.
    In any event, my BMW charges @$80 for an Oil Service on my 2004 X3 2.5; the cost for an E90 would be about the same.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    There should be enough vacuum reserve for some extra pumps without the engine running.

Well, I haven't tried shutting it down and pumping the brakes, but the reserve canisters in my other cars don't lose vacuum that fast. I wondered if it was a BMW thing or if I had a problem that could potentially escalate. So far it sounds like no one has had a catastrophic failure that was foreshadowed by this symptom. Thanks, all.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• saf2010saf2010 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know about the exclusions for the BMW Maintenance program? I recently purchased a 2007 328i and the service department informed me my fuel system would need cleaned soon. He quoted me $160. Is this type of service not included in the original maintenance period? I only have 42,000 miles. Thanks.
    99.99% of the time a "professional" fuel system cleaning does nothing more than increase the profit margin of the dealership. BMW does not recommend any sort of cleaning unless there is an actual problem with the system. Ask your service writer how he knows that your fuel system needs cleaning- then ask him how he verifies that the system was cleaned after the service is performed. Pour a bottle of Techron in your tank every 5000-10,000 miles if it makes you feel better.
    I have a 1995 3 Series with 121,000 miles and a 2004 X3 with 99,000 miles- both are running fine and neither car has ever had a "professional" fuel system cleaning.

Yeah... .if you want to drop an extra $160 on your car, do a mid-term oil change...

Otherwise, just say no to their extras.....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I did a bit more digging and discovered that there is a BMW approved fuel system service. Note that BMW does not recommend the service unless the car is exhibiting the listed symptoms. BMW also states that using a Top Tier fuel or using their BMW labeled Techron every 3,000 miles should prevent any problems. This information is also contained in a flyer BMW has begun distributing to dealers.
    So...
    I would amend my prior advice by stating that BMW proprietary fuel system cleaning procedure wouldn't hurt anything- but it is still totally unnecessary unless the car is exhibiting the symptoms listed in the flyer.

• saf2010saf2010 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help! I was back the other day and passed on the cleaning!