Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Very interesting. I have never ever seen an engine oil-lock. I never thought it possible. That would require a substantial amount of oil injected in a very very short time. What a ghastly experience.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Would it take all that much oil (or any other fluid, for that matter), to hydro lock an engine? You would only need a bit more than the volume at the top of the cylinder when the piston is near TDC, wouldn't you?
    edited February 2012
    Yes true, it would have to be enough to bend a connecting rod---but still, the engine is spinning really fast and burning lots of oil, so the volume of oil that would have to be injected must be enormous.

When a car hydro-locks from hitting a puddle or creek, that's gallons of water all at once going into the air intake.

I'm wondering if they aren't mistaking oil starvation for hydro-locking. Unless all the connecting rods were bent, I'd tend to doubt it.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    My car has 66K and I have extended warranty and extended free maintenance.
    I was driving on a highway. I gave the car a little bit more gas but it couldn't pass 4000rpm. It didn't shift either. I tried that again the next day. I felt vibration from the whole car and then the "Service Engine Soon" came on.

I took the car to the dealer and they told me they needed to replace a bad ignition coil spring (warranty). They told me they need to clean each cylinder for excessive carbon deposit. The job would take 4-5 hours and they wanted more than $500! (not included in the warranty or free maintenance program).

They told me it was the design of the direct injection system and it's unavoidable. My Audi has Direct Injection but it doesn't have this problem! I always put Mobil & Shell Premium gas into my cars....

I think I have no choice but pay them....
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    of course you have a choice. At minimum, get a 2nd opinion. Especially if it was not having symptoms before.

So, why not get the coil issue fixed, and see what that does? 66K is awfully early to have carbon issues, when you always use tier 1 gas.

Can also try a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner.

also, I am not a mechanic, but what the heck are they going to do to clean each cylinder? Certainly not taking the heads off. As far as I know any cleaning they do would involve cleaners, not dismantling

You can also ask for exactly what they are going to do for 5 hours.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

They told me something was misfired. They told me they would replace the bad ignition coil spring.
    They highly recommended to do the cleaning. They told me they would take each cylinder out for cleaning. That's why they need 4-5 hours. They said the fuel injection cleaner might help but not that much.
    I asked for the worse case scenario. They said the performance would be reduced and the the car might not moved, just liked somebody who cannot breath. BTW, mine is a 335i.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Have them fix the coil.. This problem came on suddenly, right? That points to a part that has failed (the coil?), not the build-up of a problem over time..

Then, if it turns out the cylinders need cleaning, find someone to do it cheaper...

It sucks that they are trying to upsell you on a warranty repair..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited February 2012
    My Audi has Direct Injection but it doesn't have this problem!

Want to bet? Google "Audi FSI intake valve deposits" and you'll get over 5,000 hits. Virtually EVERY DI car has a problem with deposits on the intake valves and ports because the fuel is sprayed into the cylinder- there is no fuel spray to assist in keeping the intake valves and ports clean. I have a Mazdaspeed 3 with DI, and it too has deposits. BG has an intake cleaning system that claims to be able to remove the deposits, but I haven't heard from anyone who has used it.
    In any case, I'm virtually certain that my next car won't have a DI engine.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited February 2012
    roadburner is right in that this is inherent with a DI engine. And Audi absolutely has it because my GTI had it.

He is potentially wrong, however, that his next car won't have it (unless buying used). The use of DI will be widespread very shortly thanks to its increased fuel efficiency.

If they are cleaning it properly, they are removing the head. Although I doubt they are doing that for $500. Also as RB said, there are cleaners out there you can try. It is more of a preventive thing, however, as I've read several reports indicating that the cleaners don't do much after too much buildup has occured.

So, yes, it is a maintenance item with a DI engine. Personally, I'll be cleaning mine myself. And I have nothing against DI engines for it. I accept the maintenance in exchange for the increased power and efficiency.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited February 2012
    Thanks all. I saw that Audi RS4 Carbon Deposit issue article. That's why I expected my Audi would have this problem soon than the Bimmer.
    I heard we cannot "baby" cars with DI. From time to time, we need to drive them hard. Not sure if it is true.
    I probably write a letter to BMW with copies of various complaints from BMW owners. They should include the service as warranty or free maintenance work. They may ignore me...Let's see.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I would support the idea to get the coil replaced under warranty. Then use techron for two tanks of gas driving the car hard. If that still doesn't cure the problem, find an indie and get that taken care of. It is certainly worthwhile to spend 20 bucks to see if Techron works for you.
    techron? As in the stuff that goes in the gas tank? If that's what you mean, it won't do anything. Fuel never touches the intake ports, which is where the carbon buildup happens, so no fuel additive is going to help.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mylesrmylesr Member Posts: 9
    80K on my '04 325i. Dealer quoted $545 to repair...is this something that I can research pricing thru a indie or just a good suspension/alignment provider? And how can I locate a good indie in my area?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Fuel never touches the intake ports

OK

...which is where the carbon buildup happens

So then, where does the carbon come from? I thought carbon was a byproduct of the combustion process that, over time, could build up on the seating surfaces of the valves?
    Dealer quoted $545 to repair

I'd say that's high considering that Lemforder LCABs go for $89.95/pr. and BMW LCABS are 149.95/pr.

is this something that I can research pricing thru a indie or just a good suspension/alignment provider?

A good BMW indie shop would be my choice.

And how can I locate a good indie in my area?

Easy- go to bimrs.org">link title

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Dealer quoted $545 to repair

I'd say that's high considering that Lemforder LCABs go for $89.95/pr. and BMW LCABS are 149.95/pr.

is this something that I can research pricing thru a indie or just a good suspension/alignment provider?

A good BMW indie shop would be my choice.

And how can I locate a good indie in my area?

Easy- go to bimrs.org

So then, where does the carbon come from?

It's the oily mist/gunk coming from the PCV system.

• markiemark1markiemark1 Member Posts: 7
    OK guys - sorry I went silent... the car's been in an experienced shop for the last week and a half... Runs like the beast that is now... just pure power.

Her's what happened. My original ambitious yet young and inexperienced mechanic seems to have been in over his head. The car has an aftermarket supercharger kit from Active Autowerke. The vacuum fittings for this were incorrectly replaced after he had chased down an oil leak for me. The new shop, Steve's European in Waterford, MI were experienced with the supercharger kit and called Active to help the diagnosis and get the routing correct. The vacuum lines were essentially messed up enough that oil was being pumped into the intake and when enough was available and boost was just right, it pumped it into the cyliders. Eventially, there was a continuous strean of oil being pumped into the chambers that I was going through 1 quart / 50 miles... and then the plugs fouled.

The plugs used by my first mechanic were stock plugs and Active has different plugs spec'd for the supercharger kit.

The new mechanic re-plumbed all vacuum lines (a real snake-pit) and smoke tested the intake system. The vacuum issue also cause dthe head gasket to blow-through the rear corner due to back pressure generated so they replaced this.

So - out the door at the new shop $2,600 + $300 for a rental car and the car runs great. I consider this an investment into a long a healthy relationship... I hope my wife agrees! Now my only dilemma is how to explain to the first mechanic that in large part, his inexperienced ambition cost me some real cash. Fortunately I still owe him for the majority of the work he did that caused the problem. I won't stick him with the whole bill, I'll cover any cash he layed out for parts but I'm hoping he'll see the error of his ways and negotiate down the original bill to help cover the cost of getting the car back on the road.

All in all - I feel fortunate to have found the new mechanic, not have it be the head or anything of significant mechanical damage to the engine. All cylinders measure 180 psi on compression testing and the new mechanic says it is one sweet ride.

Thank to the several of you, Mr. Shiftright, Roadburner, busiris, and the others who helped along the way. I know you enjoy being part of the forum and I want you to know that for non-mechanics, you are a tremendous resource. I appreciated your hlep on this situation and hope I can return the favor sometime.

Thanks Guys! Mark
    Who knows...we might have done even better with an actual car in front of us! :P
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for posting the outcome. Good to hear how these things turn out. Also sounds like you're willing to cut the moron inexperienced person who screwed it up in the first place a decent deal -- you're a reasonable guy.

Good luck with your car and your newly-found shop!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • 2thelimit2thelimit Member Posts: 8
    After much research and reading decided to step into a 2011 335i sedan M sport package, Harman Kardon, Navigation, Heated front seats, Premium Package, Sirius satellite radio, etc, etc, etc....MSRP $54,500

I've only owned Japanese cars and trucks because I beleive in reliability and these vehicles never rank well.

The 335i runs fantastic and blows away most sedans gives most sports cars a run for the money. Options drive the price up quickly and the fact that you have to purchase the leather interior is just plain tacky in this price range.

The vehicle just had an engine malfunction light turn on while on the freeway with the family! The car has 11,112 miles on it. Any other owner comments or similar experiences?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    You're well within the warranty period. Take it to the dealership and see what they say.

It could be anything. The dealer has the equipment to read the codes for the fault.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited February 2012
    as I believe we projected (collectively, anyway). oil AND a blown head gasket. definitely explains it all.

edited February 2012
    what is an engine malfunction light? If you mean the check engine light, it actually has nothing to do with the engine these days. If you look in your owner's manual, and it is the light I think it is, it will tell you it is not urgent and just to take it in when you can. It may even go out on its own before then. It is simply an emissions-related malfunction that may or may not have been a temporary glitch, such as the gas cap not being completely tightened.

Most of the time that my car tells me there is a problem.... it's a bad sensor, and there actually is no problem...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

every BMW should have an engine light reset button on the dash, for all the false warnings they give. My MINI (BMW born and built) gives me stored codes at every oil change and there's simply nothing wrong.
    Now my only dilemma is how to explain to the first mechanic that in large part, his inexperienced ambition cost me some real cash. Fortunately I still owe him for the majority of the work he did that caused the problem. I won't stick him with the whole bill, I'll cover any cash he layed out for parts but I'm hoping he'll see the error of his ways and negotiate down the original bill to help cover the cost of getting the car back on the road.

He'd better; you essentially paid him to learn how NOT to work on BMWs. I'm glad you were able to finally get the problem resolved.

I've only owned Japanese cars and trucks because I beleive in reliability

You mean like my Japanese SUV that required a new head gasket at 60,000 miles?
    Or perhaps you were referring to my Japanese daily driver, which set more fault codes in 60,000 miles than my last three BMWs(which have/had a combined mileage of 380,000 miles).

The vehicle just had an engine malfunction light turn on while on the freeway with the family! The car has 11,112 miles on it. Any other owner comments or similar experiences?

As gbrozen pointed out, all you are dealing with is a CEL(Check Engine Light). It could be something as simple as a loose fuel filler cap. You have a warranty(and you should also have access to a BMW loaner), so just take it to the dealer.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Or my Japanese sports coupe that required a $2000.00 clutch replacement @ 52,000 miles?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• skinhealerskinhealer Member Posts: 33
    I am sort of new at this. Can you tell me what is the function of a micro filter and where is it located in a BMW 328 xi 2008. The dealership is charging me 200 to replace it. My car is out of warranty and needs oil, and brake fluid change.

Can someone tell me if I can change the microfilter myself.
    The engine malfunction light displayed on the Navigation screen with a long note that read the engine can run at reduced performance. Contact the BMW dealer immediately. The car basically "shutdown". I tried to give it gas and the car shook. I was going fast enough to coast to the next off ramp, but the engine shut off and the car lost all power. It wa not a very safe feeling. It was not just an egine light on the dash that went on. The car shutdown. Nothing was functioning. I had to call the dealer to get the phone number to BMW Assist and they sent a flatbed Tow truck. It was a pretty serious engine problem. Not just a dashboard light that illuminated.
    The problem was that the car basically "shutdown" and stated on the Navigation screen "engine malfunction" vehicle can run at reduced output. Contact your BMW dealer immediately. The car actually shutdown. I had to coast it to the next offramp. There were no working functions on the car. At first the engine was still running so I gave it a little gas, however the whole car started shaking and then the engine shutoff completely. I could not even get the Menu to operate. I had to call the Dealer to get the BMW Assist phone number. I have never in my 35 years of driving had a car's engine shutoff on the freeway while driving at 65 mph?!
    You are absolutely right that it is well within the warranty period, however it just really bugs me that a new car in that price range had a malfunction that caused the engine to shutdown...... and I mean literally turn off. If you live in Southern California you know how dangerous a situation that would be, or in any state for that matter.
    Don't get too worried, yet...

That doesn't necessarily mean that there is a serious problem. Just that a sensor detected a potentially serious problem. See above for my thoughts on sensors.

In 2003, I flew to Chicago to pick up a nearly-new 3-series for my wife.. on a Saturday.. She drove it to work on Monday. Called me at lunchtime and told me she was stranded. ("I told you it wouldn't be like a Honda" lol).

Flatbedded to the dealer... turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor.. no engine issues..

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• onemtonemt Member Posts: 2
    Hey skinhealer,

I also have a 2008 328 xi. You can locate the microfilter(used to clean air going into the car) underneath the hood directly under the wiper arms. Its a long, plastic piece with about 6 small screws. I ordered my filter from Mann for about $30, model HU 816x. Get a small wrench and you can replace it yourself in about 3 minutes.

I bought my own synthetic oil and filter for about $56.00. If you can get your car on a lift you can change it yourself. I took my car to a mechanic friend and he charged me $20, so it was a total of $106 for oil change and filter change. Also got rid of contipro run flats for winter Dunlops, huge improvement in comfort, but it is a little less sporty ride.
    That does suck.

But, these things happen, and they happen to every model from every manufacturer. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth. Hopefully its a one-and-done issue and you won't continue to have problems.

Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

edited February 2012
    But, these things happen, and they happen to every model from every manufacturer.

Exactly. At 26,000 miles my Mazda began emitting huge billows of white smoke at idle- to the extent that you could not see the car behind you. One new turbo coming up! And right after that the LF strut blew out.
    Fortunately it was Japanese, so at least it was reliable...

Lol!!!
  • skinhealerskinhealer Member Posts: 33
    Thank you for your help.

I did find it and will change it on my own. The dealership wants $170. Can you believe that!!!

The part is $52.00 so that means $120 for opening the screws and changing the filter. That is such a rip off. I can understand if they take $100 or so.(still think that is high).

The HU 816x is an oil filter isn't it?

Was thinking of getting it from the dealer and install it at home.
    Where do you buy the micro filter from? Was also thinking of replacing he air filter
    as well.

Thank you for your help.
    Try places like Bavauto.com or Ecstuning.com for online parts.

You can enter your car info and then search for the correct part for your model.

Frankly, I can buy an oil filter and oil cheaper from my dealer than I can find it elsewhere, but others my not have such luck.
    If you are a BMW Car Club member some dealers give up to a 20% discount on parts.

It turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump. They had it back to me in 3 days and gave me a loaner in the meantime..... that was 2 days ago...... Yesterday, the orange "service engine soon" light just came on..... You are absolutely right when you told your wife it would not be like driving a Honda!...LMAO....

The car performs great and I was seriously considering making a purchase after the lease, however, I will really think about it now....even if I get the extended warranty plan....
    Never had any of the issues mentioned with my Toyota 4X4's. I ran them all well over 100,000 miles.....

As for the 335i, it was not an "engine check" or "service engine soon" light. The "Navigation screen" displayed "engine malfunction" can run at reduced output. This was not the orange service light on the dash. It came on through the Navigation screen.

It turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump..... I still am disappointed in a part failure at 11,300 miles. I am not BMW bashing, just really disappointed in the lack of reliability in that price range.
    They had it 3 days and diagnosed the High Pressure Fuel Pump. That is the reason it died on the freeway. They replaced the fuel pump, the spark plugs, the fuel injectors, the micorn filter, bled the brakes and a few other things. Just got it back to days ago and it runs great, but the "service engine soon" light on the dash just went on?!?!??!?

What is the deal ?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Oddly enough, I had my 4runner flat bedded and nearly lemoned at 11k. But I am a fan of naturally aspirated BMW engines. Don't know what I am going to do when the lease is up now that BMW NA engines are a thing of the past.
    Never had any of the issues mentioned with my Toyota 4X4's. I ran them all well over 100,000 miles.....

Never had a CEL in either of my current BMWs either, both of which have @130,000 miles on them(one of which is my HPDE instructor car, by the way).
    Sorry for your luck, but now it's beginning to sound like a dealer issue. The HPFP problem is not just a BMW issue, Mazda has had problems with the pump on their DISI MZR L3-VDT four (Google CDFP). Unfortunately, the quest for low emissions and increased fuel economy will make DI turbo motors almost ubiquitous- which is why my next BMW will have an S54 motor in it(either an E46 M3 or a Z4 M Coupe).

• steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Hi 2thelimit,

I wonder if you can share with us the production date of your 2011 335i BMW.
    I am asking because the HPFP part has been a notorious issue for several years but was supposedly fixed after rotating several variations of the HPFP and assumedly had been resolved with use of the remanufactured 1351 7 613 933 HPFP in May 2010. So it would be very helpful to understand if your vehicle was produced before that time and still equipped with one of the previous HPFP for which failure rates were high and led to general recall and replacement with part #13517616170.
    At any rate you should not be having any issue related to that part. If my experience can be of any assistance I am about to finish my 4th year of satisfying driving with a 2008 335xi and the only issue I have had was a small leak in the transmission picked up 2 weeks ago (still under warranty so no cost to me).
    Best of luck!
  • markiemark1markiemark1 Member Posts: 7
    What is the name of the elbow that is at the top of the coolant resevoir? It seems to have a pressure relief vent pointing straight upward and for some reason I'm getting coolant spray out of this relief port.

Any thoughts? Seems easy enough to replace this fitting, it attaches to the top of the resevoir and then to a coolant hose, I believe this hose goes to the thermostat.

Could there be any underlying reason why this pressure relief blew? Car has 129k miles and yes, it does have that aftermarket supercharger on it...

No overheating at all, it seems to lose about 1 liter of coolant when I drive it.