Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Any of you 02-03 owners replaced your stock bose/clarion head unit?
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    thanks, I did just that but in the end it was a clogged up EGR tube. As soon as they cleaned it up the problem is gone. Manifold needed to be removed to get to it though so I didn't attempt it myself. Costed me a couple hundred but on the way I got some gaskets replaced and throttle body cleaned as well. Thanks for replying.
  • nissantech8yrnissantech8yr Member Posts: 18
    the water pump runs off the timing chain they got the chain off by a tooth making the ign. timing off that will give you the low rev and no power
    under the glove box on the right a green box
    the knock sensor will not make your check engine light come on it does not read the grade of gas in the tank.it is under the intake manifold it adjusts the ign. timing when the motor starts to spark knock.you have another problem if your c/e light is coming on
    no
    there is no vacuum suction they are just stuck in the intake they are a [non-permissible content removed] to get out.and no one can tell you how to work on cars.you just get it or you don't
  • gengen Member Posts: 5
    appreciate the reply. Per the Haynes manual and a Nissan mechanic, the injectors should easily twist right out. I thought I must be doing something wrong since they were stuck in there so tightly, but it's good to know this is normal.
  • gnl2gnl2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Maxima with a little under 12,000 miles. When I turn the heater on when I start the car in the winter, there is a rotten egg smell coming from the vents in the car.

Has anyone found a SURE CURE for this terrible odor?
  • steve5986steve5986 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Maxima with almost 98k on it. About a year and a half ago I noticed the steering wheel shook when driving about 72-75 mph. I had a '95 maxima before and I knew that the steering wheel should not shake while driving on the highway. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed new struts, I got my tires balanced and re-aligned. $700 later and a year and a half later I still have the same problem but worse. Now the wheel shakes at about 68 mph and above and I also feel like the accelerator has movement as well. I took it to Discount Tire Co. where I got my tires and had it rebalanced about 3 to 4 times but it did not help. Does anyone know what my problem could be? Help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    Could be many things, but check that one of your wheels is not bent. You may or may not be able to see it visually. There are some tire places with the Hunter machine that can detect all kinds of irregularities with the wheel/tire combo.

http://www.gsp9700.com/
  • aromeroaromero Member Posts: 1
    I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF THIS IS THE ALTERNATOR NEEDING TO BE REPLACED MY WIFE WAS DRIVING HER VEHICLE AND HER LIGHTS TURNED REALLY DIM AND THE CRUISE CONTROL KICKED OFF AND I HAD REPLACED THE BATTERY AND IT STILL DID THE SAME THING IT HAS A NEW MOTOR AND ALL THE SENSORS ARE REPLACED THE STARTER NEW I AM THINKING THAT IT IS THE ALTERNATOR ALL THE POWER JUST SHUT OFF I HAD THE ALTERNATOR TESTED AND IT WAS MENTIONED THAT THE ALTERNATOR WAS A LITTLE SLOW BUT, MANAGEABLE. WHAT DO U THINK? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.....
  • jgtmiljgtmil Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering if anyone knew what the factory code would be for the keypads on a 94 Maxima GXE, or how would i go about getting this code...thanks
    Sounds like an alternator but it can be oxidized battery terminals or a circuit break somewhere. Clean your battery terminals and then have any shop connect a voltage tester to a battery and check voltage when the car is off and on. If you are in the green section on the tester then you are fine.
    Here is a TSB by Nissan on programming the remote for many Nissan vehicles but your model year is not on the list. Try it or look for similar documents for your model year... However, obviously the on board ECMs were not as safisticated in 94 model so I have doubts that this procedure will work...

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB99-036a.pdf
  • max87max87 Member Posts: 1
    Well, last night somebody break into my 87maxima through the driverdside window. Just try to understand if I can buy the glass from jankyard and install it my self. Can't afford to pay $150 for the glass. Any advise or tip will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you ---San Sha :cry:
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Any of you 02-03 owners replaced your stock bose/clarion head unit?

I drive an 03 and replaced my head unit, although it was the standard radio, not the premium unit. The only difficulty I had was that the screws for the mounting brackets would not come out of the old radio, I had to order a new pair of brackets from Nissan. They were very cheap, only a few bucks if memory serves.
  • kselzerkselzer Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Maxima SE and it smells all the time like rotten eggs whether I accelerate hard or not. It is driving me crazy--I'm embarrased to stop and talk to someone with my car running because it smells so bad. I've tried different grades and kinds of gas--doesn't matter whether it's BP, Citgo, Sunoco or premium or unleaded or winter or summer. It smells! I'm beginning to wonder if that is why the original owner sold the car. Help, I need a cure too!!
    My local Nissan dealer offers a pressurized fuel injector cleaning service for $60 with a coupon. What is it exactly and does it do any good or can it cause problems such as leaks? I am sure I have carbon build-up on my 76K Maxima but would want to hear some opinions on this. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Your question has been answered in the idle/stall topic. Try not to "cross-post" in more than one topic if you can avoid it. Thanks!

Host
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    I tried to find "idle/stall" topic and cannot. Could you please tell how to find it. It would have been nice if it was a hyperlink in your message.

Thanks,
    -haro
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    Change the cabin filter
    The forum is called "Idle and Stalling Problems - All Vehicles".
    here you go:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef13c30/283

You should "bookmark" any topic you post in so you don't get lost. We have so many topics it's not hard to forget where you were!

best

Host
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    thanks
  • kselzerkselzer Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tip--I just ordered one since the manual says to change every 15000 miles and I now have 16000 on my Maxima. Hope it helps!
  • dkbegaydkbegay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Maxima SL with a little over 12000 miles. I have a similar problem and have changed grades of gas and where I fill up. Nothing seems to work. I even smell the stink when I stop my car, the cabin of my car always smells too.
  • ioannisnioannisn Member Posts: 1
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Fifth mechanic today in a matter of fact and still can not diagnose the problem. I changed the starter fuel filter and this close to change the crank sensor. But I am a little bit hesitant because I have no check engine light. Any luck with you car, I'll keep you posted with what my mechanic finds out.

John...
  • 96maximase196maximase1 Member Posts: 3
    my maxima is 96 se and i have the same problem when its cold it dosent work (in the morning) it takes like 3 to 4 times to turn the engin on, and later i mean in the same day it works fine like nothing wrong with it but when its hot it turns on from the first time... so people told me the problem connected to cold start senser, this senser give more gas to the injectores when its cold... but i could not find where is this senser. and there is hot start senser tooo. note O2 senser works when the car is hot only.. . please let me know if u find something..
    I have Maxima 96, it doesnt work in cold morning only, but the rest of the day it turn from the first hit even if its cold...on hot weather it works perfect... and no engine light. i use supreme gas, new egr valve and i clean the intake, what would be the problem..thank you people...
    New EGR valve? what about the tubes and passages coming from it? I had this on my 2000 Max, look in the idling and starting problems forum for all messages. Sensor will produce a service engine soon light. I looked into coolant temp sensor, maf, air leaks in intake, idle air control valve, computer itself... In the end it tuned out to be a clogged egr valve tube, the one that goes from intake manifold to egr valve. Manifold needs to be removed to get to it. After I had it fixed I found a lot of articles online saying that clogged egr valve passages are the leading cause for idling issues. I would suggest removing your manifold, check that tube, replace manifold gaskets since it's already off, clean throttle body as it should come off with the manifold, inspect idle air control valve since it will be easily accessible then and see if you can clean it. Any way, you have do some exploratory surgery there, once you remove the manifold then you will have access to potential problem areas. But it's not the sensors, they may be old but a non-working sesnor will display a ses light and most likely misbehave in any weather too. Oh ye, if you hear intermittent pinging then it is definitely the clogged up egr tube.b
    thanks for reply, yes i change the EGR and cleaned all the system connected to it. I changed the coolant temp. senser and the knock senser, new air and fuel filters, they checked the spark plugs and all good i did all these at Nissaan dealer.. but after i changed the egr and cleaned the system the engin light goes on and i checked it and it is the O2 senser they told me it might be dirt or something so i used fuel inj. cleaner and it turned off by itself and its been off so far 3 months.but why only this problem happen on first start in the morning before the sun hit the car on cold morning like 35 to 50? i go to work at 6 am but on weekend i wake up at 10 or 11 so when i turn the engin on from the first hit it works normal... some people told me one of the senser get effected by the dew !! so i think thats interesting.. any ideas
    not sure then, the only thing is that when you do service at the dealer you don't really see the car and what exactly they are doing. They may have said that they cleaned all pessages to egr valve but in reality may be they didn't. I had experience with dealers and I learned that they only change the part but often have no idea or don't want to waste time doing anything else. It's hard to tell but in my experience if you have a problem only in the cold morning then it's got to be something clogged up or cracked/old gasket, which shrinks in the cold and expands back to normal when engine warms up. I heard one guy had a cracked manifold gasket, which was causing it. I would go to reputable mechanic and ask him to remove the intake manifold and inspect everything real good, all gaskets, tubes, hoses, once the manifold is off then you get a nice view. Should cost you a couple hundred but that's how you find the problem. Good luck
  • jennytalleyjennytalley Member Posts: 2
    is that what you think it is???/
  • jennytalleyjennytalley Member Posts: 2
    is there a reason my car will not idle right???? it acts like it is starving for gas..but will not idle..i dont understand
  • sumo05sumo05 Member Posts: 2
    I own a nissan maxima 01 GLE -Meridian edition. Since I purchased the car, i seem to have problems with the heated seats. I talked to the dealer and as usual their answer has been "there is no problem with the car". well it takes 5 minutes for the seats to get heated :surprise: . I was driving my friends VW the other day and it takes just 30 seconds. I live just 5 minutes from work, and now the heated seats in the winter seem useless to me. can anyone help? is there a way to turn up the heat on the seats? thanks
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I also have an '01 GLE. There are two settings, low and high. On high mine take about 2 minutes to warm up, a little longer than the ones on my Mazda6. How cold is it where you live?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sumo05sumo05 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your reply
    its gets to about -5F some days. But on an average we are at freezing temperatures for 4 months a year. And yes my maxima has the High and Low settings as well.
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    My Maxima SL 2005 AT, It usually takes 2 - 3 times to get it started if I use Shell 93 gasoline . That is something not seen if I use ESSO (EXXON), TEXACO or GULF brands.

Any idea ?????
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    Your experience with the seat heaters is typical of mine (1995 model). Around 5 minutes to generate significant warmth. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your car... it's just that in my experience most other manufacturers' heaters (Audi, VW, MB, BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura) work considerably faster.
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    My brother-in-law's keyless remote for his Maxima is broken and he just bought a new remote. I would appreciate if anyone here can provide me with the programming instruction for the remote. Thanks.
  • bobm10bobm10 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I appreciate the input!
    Bob
  • larj10larj10 Member Posts: 1
    can you e mail the website with the cheap coils for my 2000 maxima
  • davidcwdavidcw Member Posts: 11
    The nav system on my '02 Maxima displays only "disc error." I've tried cleaning the CD lens to no avail. A local car audio store won't service it and the dealer wants $4,000 (excluding labor) to replace the whole system. (Uh, no!)

Can I buy and install a nav system from a salvage yard? Any other experiences or expertise? Please help!
  • zhekazheka Member Posts: 18
    My starting problems are solved!!!
    I had starting issues, changed a lot of parts (alternator, crank sensor, ....) but the problem persisted. See more info on my prev posts (3077, 3078)
    I finally brought the car to a dealer shop - which has been recommended to me as having the most knowledgeable mechanics, and they found the problem!

When they called me, they told me "We found the problem, but do not think that we are crazy.." and stated that my car had a rare automotive issue(They said one in >1000 Maximas has it, and usually if car has lived in North East):
    The transmission housing rusted, and fused with the body of the car - creating a electric flux that fooled the ECU into getting wrong readings from the sensors at the start-up - when the current flowing through the car is the highest. Thus, about half of the time, the engine was trying to rotate backwards, hitting the starter (the knock I heard once in a while) and eventually destroying it.

I was skeptical, and contacted a friend who is an electrical eng., conveying him the story. To my surprise, he said that this can easily happen, and more often affects micro-electronics as they are more fragile. (If you drop your phone in water, it may still work, but usually would behave strangely).

Thus, I called the shop and told them to go ahead and do the repair, but only if they guaranteed the result. They agreed.

They lowered the transmission and sanded the housing of any surface rust ($600). The total bill was $980 as they insisted on changing the alternator again $280, saying that it was almost dead from the improper starting.

Even though I spent 1000 on the repair, and around 800 at prev. shops trying to diagnose the issue - I am happy. The car starts momentarily, anytime!!!

Hope this helps someone – I noticed lot’s of people posting starting issues with similar symptoms!!!

P.S. The mechanics at this shop also mentioned that they have had around 2-3 Maximas with this problem before me and one owner spent over $4000 in electrical components trying to fix the issue, before coming to them. Thus, for such problem, I would suggest going to the good dealer’s mechanic.
  • maxima05maxima05 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,
    I am owning 05 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL.
    I am not driving it too much as I am a road warrior and will be travelling very often. So miles on my odometer are very less.
    Questions -
    1) Nissan suggests servicing every 6 months e.g. 1st at 3750 miles or 6 months, 2nd at 7500 or 12 months. At 6 months I had only 2000 miles at 12 months I have only 6000 miles. Can you please suggest shall I still go ahead and service my vehicle at 12th month or I should wait for 7500 miles as service center may be doing tire rotation?

2)What is the normal oil changing time you guys do or suggest for new Maxima?

3) Is anyone using high quality oil which will go upto 10,000 miles or so?

thanks in advance,
    BSH
    Actually there must be more to the story, as what you were told makes no sense. The transmission housing can't fuse to the body of the car, as the resulting vibration and noise would have been horrendous. Also gas engines can't run backwards (but they can backfire and kick a little).

It's an interesting problem and it would be great to learn what really happened here. Maybe some info got lost in translation?
  • bobbydanleybobbydanley Member Posts: 1
    i seem to have 12 volts to everything but still no spark the security light is on and i have nothing to it off --i just bought the car and would like to disable the alarm all to gether -- hope someone has a idea what to do
  • kzakkzak Member Posts: 13
    does anyone know where i can get a 2000 maxi rim?? I blew out my tire and my rim may be bent... and the dealer quoted $445 - $575 and I would definitely like something cheaper!! PLease help!!!
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    try eBay or maxima.org classifieds section