Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pcneustadterpcneustadter Member Posts: 9
    THANK YOU ,NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT. IJUST FILLED UP
  • pnouranipnourani Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 maxima SE with 74,000 miles on it and I got a check engine light on. I took it to autozone and scanned it and it read that it was an 02 heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2). I bought the sensor at another store because i can get it wholesale, and gave it to a mechanic to replace it, and after everything, the mechanic said the light came on again and that problem is not the sensor itself. The next day he told me he spoke to a nissan dealer mechanic and they said it might have to do with the ignition coils? Is this true? Can anyone tell me what is going on with this sensor?
  • kposty007kposty007 Member Posts: 5
    I HAVE AN '02 MAXIMA AND HAVE RAN SOME 87 GRADE GAS AND A SERVICE MANAGER TOLD ME MY NOISE WAS COMING FROM RUNNING THE 87 GAS. SOME TYPE OF FIRING PROBLEM? ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR IS HE WRONG?
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    bad gas can cause pinging, when you step on the gas you hear a metallic ping ping ping as the car accelerates.
    Generally, ignition coils are bad if you get code P1320 with or without cylinder misfire codes P1301 through P1306. So, no, it's not your coils and you will spend less money if you listen less to Nissan mechanics. Replacing coils is the type of repair where it's "good" for your car and you can never prove that you didn't need it and just an FYI, each coil is $75 at the dealer and they usually insist that you "must" also replace the spark plugs and you end up spending $800. It looks like you got another code for oxygen sensor. Why don't you post the code you got and let people here share some opinions on your specific code.
  • pnouranipnourani Member Posts: 2
    The code that my 2000 maxima is giving is (P0141) 02 heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2. So now they told me that after they replaced that sensor, now it is giving an error for bank 1 sensor 1, and after they replaced that, it gives an error back to the first sensor again. So now they figured the problem is not the sensors and they want to take the car to a nissan dealer and have them erase everything from the computer memory and re-program everything again, and that might make the errors go away. Oh ya, they want to charge me $175 to do that and if that does not work, then I lose money!
  • wasa02wasa02 Member Posts: 3
    It could be the gas but more importanly you need to check the oil. My problem started exaclty like that but I always put 91 in my 02 Maxima. I took the car to the dealership over 10 months ago and they told me it didn't have any oil. The oil was changed on schedule. Long story short the "clinking noise" would occur every two months followed by the check engine light. As a female, the dealership fought me every step of the way but the engine was consuming to much oil. The ONLY way to fix is to replace the engine. After 10 months the new engine was ordered and covered under my warranty. I was getting it put in on Tuesday but the car was totalled :sick: (not my fault)on Saturday. Check to oil regularly and DEMAND a new engine if it is consuming to much! :mad:
  • wally9mmwally9mm Member Posts: 3
    I just brought my 2K SE Max to get it inspected.

They put it on the lift and told me that it needs front and rear struts for $1100 plus 4 wheel alignment and tax. Total around $1300.

I declined the service saying I'll have to bring it back when I have more time.

Should I think about replacing the struts? I think the car rides and handles just fine.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    And how, pray tell, did they determine this while the car was on a lift?
  • wally9mmwally9mm Member Posts: 3
    They lifted it, poked and proded. shook this grabbed that and determined it needed all new struts.

During past inspections, they would replace things like the wipers, highbeam or a fan belt. They make a lot of profit replacing small items that may be hard to dispute.

But over a grand is a bit much for me to swallow.

I always dread inspections because if business is slow, they can always find something to service.

Last year it was inspected by a tire distributor. Guess what...they sold me two new tires because they said one of the rear tire treads had a cut and would only pass it if I replaced both. Thats why I hate inspection time, whoever they are, their in the business to mo' money.
    No, I don't THINK so!

A strut can only be tested by either showing you where it is leaking badly, or by driving the car. If your struts are really bad, the car will POUND on hard bumps and feel very squirrely going around turns or while hard braking.

The symptoms of bad struts are not subtle.
  • tobinaztobinaz Member Posts: 4
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME LOCATE BLOWER RELAY THAT IS STUCK ON HIGH SPEED. I ALREADY FOUND ONE BELOW GLOBE COMPARTMENT BUT EVEN IF I DISCONECT IT BLOWER IS STILL RUNNING.

ALSO, ANY OTHER SITES WHERE I CAN FIND VALUABLE INFORMATION FOR MAX REPAIRS

THS.

:cry:
  • pcneustadterpcneustadter Member Posts: 9
    WENT TO AUTOZONE FOR DIAGNOSTIC.CAME UP WITH SPARK PLUGS AND KNOCK SENSOR.JUST MORE REGULAR MAINTENANCE.CHANGED PLUGS .THE KNOCKSENSOR WAS EXPENSIVE COST FOR PART $135 AND A LOT OF WORK .CAR BACK RUNNING IN TOP SHAPE . CHANGED OIL AND AIR FILTER AT SAME TIME AS LONG AS WAS DOING WORK
  • trey1013trey1013 Member Posts: 1
    Allright i know this seems crazy,but i've seen plenty of posts about about starting issues in the cold. i have the opposite problem. My 98 Max with 140,000 miles wont start in the warm weather, i can turn the key and all of my lights come on but i'll get nothing (doesn't even attempt to turn over or crank at all). It always eventually starts which may mean 2-3 tries later or as much as 20-30 tries later.I do nothing different to make it start, it just seems that all of a sudden a small miracle occurs and it cranks right up as though nothing is wrong.I do not have this problem at all i the winter. This car has been a dream for me with very few problems since i purchased it in 99 other than regular maintainence.however I'm getting a little tired of sitting in my car for 15 minutes soaked in sweat waiting for my daily miracle.Any suggestions???
  • coommcoomm Member Posts: 1
    There could be two reasons in addition to what others may have mentioned.

1) Mass Airflow Sensor (Approx $200)
    2) Engine Knock Sensor (Aprrox $500)
  • holmes12holmes12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1991 maxima Coming off the interstate it dieded,Batt good i try jumping it still on go. when i turn the key nothing not a sound. light,horn, radio and all other power work. please help!!!!
  • holmes12holmes12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1991 maxima Coming off the interstate it dieded,Batt good i try jumping it still on go. when i turn the key nothing not a sound. light,horn, radio and all other power work. please help!!!!
  • jason2005jason2005 Member Posts: 1
    99 MAxima GLE, 5 speed. 145K miles. have being running fine until yesterday. the car won't start in a hot day after I refilled at gas station (#89 gas). towed to a mechanic, the mechanic checked and told me: fuel, spark and air all looks fine. the car cranks like normal. the mechanics suspect and order a the remanufactured ECM ( engine control module or called ECU) for $800, however the car still won't start.
    and mechanics is out of idea what's the problems

so I'm going to have it towed a nissan dealer. what should I check
    the make sure the dealer do it right this time? what if dealer want to
    replace ECM again? thanks.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My son has a 99 maxima. He bought it used and has no book. Does anyone know if it has a timing chain or a belt and when does it need to be changed? He has 115K on his car.
  • davidvsgoliathdavidvsgoliath Member Posts: 3
    DAVID VS GOLIATH
    2002 NISSAN MAXIMA
    I’ve had my headlights stolen three times, the stolen headlights are only part of the problem the real problem is how easy it is to get into the Nissan Maxima. Due to the design of how the door handle is attached to the door, with a flat head screwdriver the thieves pop out the driver side door handle to get to the electronics which allows them to lower your windows, unlock your doors and disarm the factory alarm so they can get into your vehicle and pop open the hood to get to the headlights without damaging them and taking what ever else you may have in your vehicle. This is more then a headlight problem, it is a flaw in the design of this vehicle. And Nissan is unwilling to except responsibility. Shame on you Nissan, you have lost one more loyal customer.

I urge everyone that has or had this problem to call Nissan and file a complaint 1-800-647-7261 and just don’t stop there file a complaint with the Consumer Reports www.consumerreports.org and the Better Business Burrow www.bbb.com anyone you think that can help us little guys with this problem.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    Timing chain, actually 3 of them. Usually last for the life of the engine.
  • hdaohdao Member Posts: 20
    95-99 Maxima don't have timing belt. They have timing chain and should be last for the life of your car.
    Lori, I have the same problem with my 99 Maxima. Mine also has about 88k miles. The engine is stalling like misfire at low RPM every time I stop at traffic, especially with A/C on. Since the Service Engine Soon light is not on, I rule out the ignition coil and mass air flow (MAF) problem. Did you have your car fixed? How? Thanks
  • ambrosjbambrosjb Member Posts: 3
    Hi there, I have a 95 Max, 130,000 miles 5 spd with the same exact problem. So far I have changed the starter, battery and ignition relay (the one inside the car with the other fuses) and also switched around the relays inside the engine compartment to see if any of them were bad. I wish I had an exact solution to the problem. This may sound stupid, but for some reason if you rock the car pretty hard from inside while you hold the key in start and hold clutch down, you have a greater chance of it starting. That leads me to believe it's a loose connection somewhere. I read on a couple of other forums that it could be the ignition switch. I'm hoping it's something a little simpler, because the last thing I want to do is change my key on my locks and ignition. Please keep me posted if you find out anything and I will do the same.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    Well, if rocking the car makes it start, it's possible that the culprit is your starter solenoid. I've this problem on my '97 Max, and I also heard from other owners with the same symptoms and the same resolution. Next time it does it, try to tap the starter with something, like a tire wrench. The solenoid gets stuck, and if it doesn't engage, the starter won't turn. At that point, it might be better to replace the entire starter (with the solenoid). It's a fairly easy job for someone with basic skills. (Hey, I've done it :-))
  • ambrosjbambrosjb Member Posts: 3
    I actually discovered my problem as of this past Sunday. It was the ignition switch that was bad. However, my problem was unique. I had an aftermarket keyless entry done by BestBuy and they did an awful job wiring the thing into my car... I found two random wires twisted onto and electrical taped to two wires on my ignition switch. My theory is that in heat the tape would loosen and the twisted wires would lose their connection. Hence the no start. Shaking the car would cause the loose wires to connect and the car to turn over. Once I put the new ignition switch in, no problems whatsoever. Only problem now is that the keyless entry doesn't work because I didn't reconnect the rogue wires. I plan on giving BestBuy a call and giving them a piece of my mind about how their shoddy wiring cost my over $200 in a new starter, new battery, and new starter relay... In retrospect, I probably didn't need the new ignition switch either. Just needed to clean up their wiring. Hopefully this helps someone out there.
  • dixiegirljendixiegirljen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 180K mile nissan maxima. I have had trouble with it starting lately and when you give it some gas it starts fine. Other times after sitting in the parking lot for 4+ hours where it is unshaded and very hot, the car will shut off while going over speed bumps or coming to a stop. :sick:
    The dealer could not diagnose the problem b/c they could not replicate it. The battery connections are good and the engine seems to be running well. I am pretty sure that it is not the starter. Perhaps ignition switch or ignition relay??? Please help ... need to car to get me through grad school.
  • 95max295max2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks I will try this.
    It has a timing chain, and should be change a 200K
    Sometime my 95 Max takes about 10-15 minutes to restart when it gets warm, sometime it shuts off when pulling off. I changed my gas pump. No I am scared to go on long drives with the car, please help!!!!!
  • terraboiterraboi Member Posts: 2
    Can someone pls respond and help me, I'm in TX and it's hot!!!
  • tobinaztobinaz Member Posts: 4
    you may find answers at maxima.org good luck
  • acarbyacarby Member Posts: 2
    THIS IS TO ANYONE WHO IS HAVING THE PROBLEM WITH STARTING THEIR MAXIMA! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, AND I FOUND THAT IF YOU PUT SOME FORCE ON TURNING THE KEY TO YOUR IGNITION IT WILL START EVERYTIME. THERE IS A FAULY IN THE IGNITON UNIT IS MOST NISSAN MAXIMAS THAT HAS BEEN UNDISCOVERD. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SENSE I STARTED TURNING THE KEY WITH MORE FORCE!..TRY IT AND GET BACK TO ME!
    Did you have your Maxima stalling problem fixed? What caused the problem? Any advice will be appreciated since my 1999 Maxima having the same problem but the Service Engine Soon light does not come up.
  • juandafuljuandaful Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have had the same problem with my 2004 Max I bought it new in Mar04. It has 46,000 mile on it. I was unable to get a jump from another vehicle however, I was able to get a jump once the tow company came. They were able to jump the car however once I turned the car off it wouldn't start again. I attempt to get another jump from another person again it wouldn't jump it again. Therefore someone else assisted me with the jumper kit and it worked. However, once I got home and turned it off, I was unable to restart it. This is crazy!!! I have found other people that is having the same problem, did the start fix the problem? Please let me know. Thanks!
  • 04mxasl04mxasl Member Posts: 3
    I had a similiar problem and it turned out that I needed to repleace the starter but I think your issue might be the battery instead when you try to start the car can your headlights come on?? If your headlights and dashboard lights can come on then it will probably be a problem with the starter.
  • madmax01madmax01 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a how-to on changing spark plugs on my 01 Max. Any help will be greatly appreciated
    the front 3 are easy, you remove the plastic cover by the oil cap, which is held in place by 6 or 8 screws. You will then see the 3 iginition coils. There is one screw holding each ignition coil in place, take it out, carefully disconnect the coil from the harness and pull the coil out. The spark plug is in the ignition coil well, you will need a long extension for your spark plug socket to get it out. That's it for the front 3, the rear 3 are more difficult to get to but the concept is the same, locate the ignition coils, take out the screw holding them, disconnect the coils and carefully pull them out. You may need to to temporarily move some cables or disconnect some sensors to get to the rear ones, this really depends on the extensions you have for your spark plug socket. I worked with one long extension and it was difficult... Good luck.

Oh yes, advise, remove one coil and replace one plug at a time and start the car after each one is done to check for any shaking, this way you will know if you did something wrong and with which plug/coil.
  • dontnocarsdontnocars Member Posts: 2
    A couple of days ago my '95 Max started trying to stall when I would get up to about 30 mph. I thought maybe I just had trash in my line because it stopped until today. I was sitting in the drive thru at lunch and the car just died. :blush: It started again and as long as I kept my foot on the gas it was fine. It is also making some kind of noise while it is trying to stall. It jerks very hard, like I hit the breaks, even at 40-45 mph. I was told it could possibly be the fuel pump. Any suggestions? I will be happy to answer any questions, but as my name says... I don't know cars. :)
  • dontnocarsdontnocars Member Posts: 2
    My '95 Max gets stuck in park. The safety (shifter ??) button will not push in. It takes brute force to get it out of park. I am having to leave the car in neutral so I am unable to put the ignition in the lock position and can't lock the doors. Any suggestions? Besides buying a new car... Any help will be greatly appreciated. :-)
    MY '02 MAXIMA JUST STARTED MAKING NOISE UPON COLD STARTING! I IMAGINE ITS THE STARTER ANY IDEAS?
    wining sound may be a starter or belt
    Hi, got some buring smell (sulfur) from my Max 2K front undercarriage after driving 80 miles on a highway. I thought it was transmission or hot breaks but everything looked fine. Next day I got service engine soon light with code P0430. I also notice some power loss when going up hill. The code is for Left Bank(B2) three way catalyst function. The car is still under 80K emissions warranty and the cats are covered. I want to take it to a dealer to get the pre-cat replaced for free but I heard that they like to replace the cats along with both heated oxygen sensors. I am pretty sure it's the front pre-cat based on symptoms and code. Anyone has any idea how to pursuade the dealer to replace the cat only? The dealer wants to charge $100 for diagnostic and it will be refunded if it's just the cat but I am sure they will say that both O2 have to be done as well...
    Be careful here. Replacing the cat may only cure the symptom, not the cause. The cat could be freaking out from an over-rich fuel mixture and the smell is only a call for help. This car needs to go on the air/fuel meter or else the problem could recur IMO.
    Yes, but wouldn't I get a code or at least a pending code for mixture being rich if that was the case. I would expect to get something like P0175 for a rich mixture. The code I got, the P0430 does not list over-rich mixture as one of the possible causes, and not even oxygen sensors for that matter... I don't know, that's the reason I don't want to take it to a dealer, this is all open for debate and I don't trust the dealer to do proper diagnostic and tell me the truth. My personal opinion for the cause of catalytic error code - I had the infamous P1320 not long ago and had to replace all 6 coils, the cat may have gotten fouled at that time since I drove some few miles before replacing the coils.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    If it's a whining noise, does it also happen
    when you're turning the wheel or just from a
    cold start? I had this noise on my '02 Max
    and it would happen on a cold start and I
    noticed when I was turning the wheel to
    approach the upramps in my parking garage, I
    could hear it. I decided to check the level
    on my power steering fluid. Alas, it was
    pretty low. My neighbor filled it back up
    and the noise has stopped. I'm waiting to hear
    from my mechanic who said that the hose that
    goes to the power steering pump, or whatever,
    has a leak. He has to order the hose since he
    doesn't have one in stock. Other than
    replacing the "evil" rear 02 sensors, the car
    hasn't had any problems in four years, 60,000
    miles. Good luck and hope your problem gets
    solved and without too much expense!
    Well you could be right...the problem is that the computer doesn't tell you what to fix...no car computer identifies precisely the defective component...it only tells you the system or circuit affected.

Now cats do fail in normal use, but usually that takes quite a lot of mileage. If the failure is premature, one has to logically at least suspect an outside cause. 02 sensors do wear out.

but even a code for an 02 sensor doesn't mean your 02 sensor is bad. Lots of people waste money on that code.

ah, well, maybe I'm just being over-analytical and the simplest explanation might be the correct one. Just throwing ideas out. I'm just a little skeptical of early cat failures.
    ITS A METAL SOUND. I READ THAT THERE IS A LITTLE ARM THAT STARTS IT UP AND IF IT DOESN'T RETRACT IT MAKES THAT NOISE SO I ASSUME I'M GONNA HAVE TO REPLACE THE STARTER.?
  • mbrody1234mbrody1234 Member Posts: 1
    I have a low sounding grinding noise that come and goes-- I had new brakes front and rear- The tires are ok-- the noise seam more evident at low speeds-- I would think its the tires but the noise goes away
    96k miles
    any ideas?
  • sriramsasriramsa Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE - have not driven it much though, its just at 29,500 miles. For the last 2 days, suddenly its showing the "Service Engine soon" message - sometimes along with the "Slip" and "TCS Off" messages. Everything works well though and it drives perfectly fine - I am thinking that it shows this message to remind me of the upcoming 30,000 mile servicing ?!?! Can someone pls confirm this.

Anyway, I am planning to take it for 30K mile servicing this weekend - want to know if the problem could be something else which is serious and I need to take it to the dealer asap?

Thanks a lot for any tips. Very much appreciate the help.
    -Sriram