Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• asia2asia2 Member Posts: 5
    I own 2000 GXE with about 76000 miles on it.I'm the first owner and so far I did not have any major problems except O2 sensor which I replaced couple years ago. Recently my car would start and a second later die (regardless of the temperature, warm rather than cold) than restart again without a problem, ocassionaly hit a "flat spot" on a highway (an awful feeling, especially if you a in a middle of a quick manuver), etc. I took it to my trusted mechanic, who is pretty clueless since the computer doesn't show any codes, but has a few ideas including fuel injectors. The total cost would be around $2000. Recently I visited Nissan dealership just to take a pick at the new Rogue and of course asked for a quote on my possible trade - in. I would get $4000; that means that the repair would cost me a half of car's value. Does it make sense to keep it? Does anybody know something about the Rogue - during test drive it seemed sooo slow comparing to my old "Maxi"?
  • gotoyotagotoyota Member Posts: 280
    The dealer is never going to offer you full value for your trade. A 2000 Maxima for $4K would be a steal, assuming its condition is decent, and you should be able to get a much better price for it if you sell on your own. I bet I could get somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.5-3K for my old '97 with 200K on it. I don't know how your mechanic can quote a price when he doesn't know what to look for??? Take it to the dealer - it might cost $100 or so to have them do a diagnostic, but their scanner can read stored codes that don't trigger a check engine light. It could be a faulty knock sensor, bad fuel injectors, bad ignition coil(s)... the list goes on. Your car is surely worth more than $4k though, and I certainly wouldn't discard it just yet.
    Thank you, I checked Kelly Blue Book, and 2000 GXE goes for anywhere between $5900 and $7900. I still would be happy to get anything in $6K area... I considered dealers offer just to save me some hassle (all those car things don't come so natural to women and we are treated differently at dealerships or shops...) I love the car, it still gives me a shiver when it accelerates and I would like to keep it. The problem is, that the mechanic gave me a quote for everything he planned for my car so far, with hope that it would fix the problem. What if it doesn't? I have not seen my car since Wednesday (good thing he gave me a loaner - 14 year old Intrepid, still running!) Last time I heard from the shop was on Friday and they told me that during the test drive on the highway my car would stutter and shake . It was not happening before!!! And apparently they only replaced spark plugs so far! The guy worked on my previous 3 cars and was OK. I'm afraid I will end up towing my Maxima to the dealer, they shoulnd't charge much more than $99/hr (what the mechanic charges me)
    Wow, not to alarm you, but... The problem with a lot of independent shops is that they really are not very specialized. In my experience, if they don't specifically specialize in a foreign brand, they don't know foreign cars very well. I have known a few mechanics fairly well and have a friend who owns a shop. They have all said the same things, that the vast majority of their business comes from American makes (for whatever reason - that's beside the point ;) ) - they rarely see Nissan, Toyota or Honda. I doubt this is much different from everywhere else. They pay thousands of dollars for the types of scanners they use, not to mention the money they pay for training - if they actually go to school for it - and since foreign makes don't account for a large part of their business, few shops invest in the tools or training to work on them. Your mechanic should not have just started working on your car without having at least a 90% hunch what to work on. The problem now is he has your car and doesn't have a clue what he is doing, apparently, and you are paying him hourly for it. There is a list of known issues on the Maxima that could have caused the type of symptoms you are having and the dealer would be able to check those things without wasting your time and money like this mechanic appears to be doing. My advice is to cut your losses with your mechanic now and take your car to a reputable dealer before you lose any more money with this guy who probably should not be working on your car. Case in point - my old Maxima had a check engine light recently so I took it to the dealer. As old as my car is, you would expect it to cost a ton of money to fix. It certainly could have... but the dealer found the problem to be a dirty EGR valve. The computer said it was an EGR temp sensor that wasn't switching, but since the mechanic was experienced he knew the problem was due to the fact that the EGR system was clogged with soot, so they cleaned it out and now it's fixed. An independent shop would not have known what the P1404 code was for because their scanners won't tell them (it's Nissan specific) so they would have just started replacing stuff, most likely, in an effort to get the business. At best, they would have replaced the EGR temp sensor, which would not have fixed the problem. Then what? Well I can tell you, they would have found some other thing that needed to be replaced because it's an old car and you can find all kinds of things that could be replaced, and it would have cost me a fortune. I spent $260.00 for labor and now my car is fine. So, sorry for lengthy post, but this guy may very well find $2000.00 worth of things to do on your car, but still not fix the problem. Get it back and take it to a dealer!
    THANKS AGAIN, IRONICALLY THE GUY'S BUSINESS HAS "IMPORTS" IN THE NAME! I even saw a Porsche there - that would explain $99/hr charge!I think he works on foreign cars but still , it appears he has no clue what a problem with my car is. And now it jerks when it drivers!!! I will take it to the dealer (plenty to chose from, I live in one of Chicago suburbs), but I'm still afraid I will be taken advantage of. Did I mentioned that in addition to my gender, English is my second language?
    Well, I see why you're a little reluctant, but I think if you call around you will find a dealer who is trustworthy and there are folks that will treat you respectfully and not take advantage of you. Plus most dealer shops have better trained management and have the reputation of the dealer to uphold. It might be helpful to ask people you know if they can recommend a good dealer. I wish I had a list of qualifying questions to share, but I don't. I called around to the various dealers and described the problem I was having and found a dealer I liked. I chose the one I did because they listened and seemed confident they could fix it, and they understood that I didn't want to spend a fortune on an old car that I plan to retire in a year of so. Good luck, I'm sure you will be able to find a good Nissan shop that will treat you well and fix your problem without giving you the run around while they try to guess what the problem is. :shades:
    That was actually a great advise. I did not think of shopping around for best service from the dealer (I would shop around fro a new car though)I plan to keep my Maxima a little longer - it was my first brand new car and to make my money well spent I wanted to keep it for about 8-10 years. Just out of curiosity - does anyone know anything about new Rogue? To me it is a good looking car, the Altima engine has proved itself over the years, it offers a lot as standard equipment, the only downside - non existent acceleration...
    The November issue of Car and Driver has a full review of the Rogue. You can probably still find some issues at the news stands. It looks like a decent little sport ute, but only comes with the 2.5L 4 cyl. It has decent output for a 4 cyl, but still, a 4 cyl doesn't feel like a 6! The CVT doesn't help that feeling either. Since it's a new model you should be able to find lots of reviews.
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    If i were you, I would wait a year to have nissan fix all issues with that car. Its a new car so there will be some issues with it. BTW review in motor trend was average.
    Nah, I'm not planning to buy one. At the dealer last week when I had my Maxima in for some work, I decided to walk the lot and check out a few cars... of course a salesman was by my side in no time, trying to sell me a new Rogue. I wasn't even remotely interested - I just don't care for the styling that much. I was very tempted to spring for a new Altima 3.5 or a Maxima though - I could've gotten either for around $21-23K. Dealers are willing to DEAL right now... too bad I'm not ready to buy yet. I just bought the wife an 07 Toyota Sienna Limited and I need to pay that off first (hopefully by this summer), then I will be shopping for a replacement for my tired old 97 Maxi with 200k on it. Kinda leaning toward a G35 though - I can't see getting away from that VQ!
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    I have a 2000 Maxima GXE with 72000 miles on it. Over the last couple months it appears to be loosing a charge and stalls out. Replaced the battery. Brought to a nissan dealer and had the alternator checked and everything read fine on the computer. Also when it dies all the check lights come on. Wait a day or two and everything starts back up again. Anyone run into a problem like this before? Or any suggetions? :mad:
  • mrmacksimamrmacksima Member Posts: 6
    I dont know if i am luck or unlucky. I bought a 2003 Maxima GLE in july. Immediatley i noticed that the engine was not holding oil. There were no obvious leaks, but after about 1500 miles of each oil change, the engine would be almost bone dry. At first the dealer replaced the Gasket Seal, But this did not fix the problem. After taking it back to the dealer a second time, they ran some tests and took some compression readings and they informed me that there were some internal engine problems and that they would have to replace my entire engine. This isn't a problem for me because the car was certified and under warranty. But needless to say, I thought Nissans were pretty solid. I don't know if it was the dealership, previous owner or what. Has anyone had any similar problems? I guess I am really fortunate though, i am practically getting a new ride for free. I just hope there arent any other prblems lurking beneeth......
    check out glove box light or other light also make sure you have no ground issues
    your certified car was possibly a leased one in the past and most likely previous owner simply abused it. Its best to meet previous owner instead of trusting certified pre owned product.
    My '97 GXE 5 speed just turned 200K miles on the odo this week. Still uses NO oil, has no major leaks (needs new valve cover gasket seals, but nothing major) and returns an average of 29 mpg, 80% hwy driving. The VQ series V6's are known for their longevity, but it's possible yours was an abuse victim. I don't exactly baby mine, but I treat it with the respect I would hope for if I were buying from myself :shades: Just be glad you got the warranty and now you are getting a new VQ - what more could anyone ask for ;)
    Hmmmm, Point well taken. I have wanted a Maxima for a while and I was really starting to worry that I got a dud. I can't wait to get it back!!!
    Enjoy - you'll be hooked. I'm planning to replace mine next year with either a new Maxima, Altima 3.5 SE or G35. I was considering a Camry or Accord until recently...I'm just hooked on the VQ and the Nissan products are a little more exclusive (don't them coming and going like the other two) and I like the handling better. The new Camry SE is a very tempting ride, thanks to Toyota's wonderful new 3.5L, but the styling isn't exactly me. Leaning toward the G35 now. Anyway, it really is a great car, one of the best I've owned (it's my second Maxima)...and as my name suggests I'm somewhat biased toward Toyota's and have owned several of them, so my expecations are high when it comes to durability. My Maxima hasn't disappointed for the most part, just minor stuff. The sheetmetal could be a bit heavier, but then the car would be too ;) so... would I change it? I guess not. I just wish other people were a little more careful with their doors. :)
    I also have a 2000 Maxima GXE and I described my problems - I think somewhat similar to yours - in my previous posts. After a week of checking different things, my mechanic finally replaced an air flow meter. Car runs like new now and just a couple weeks ago I was thinking of trading it in. Hopefully I will get couple more years now, I just like this car too much...
    Let us know how it is when you do get it back!
    I will, if i ever get it back. The new engine was supposed to be in monday and it still has not arrived yet.... I getting a little anxious.
  • zhekazheka Member Posts: 18
    Newer Maximas, as all modern cars, are complex. Your mechanic, since he is working on lots of different cars, probably has a generic ODB II scanner. These scanners, even the pro grade, can only extract a portion of the data (error codes, warnings, e.t.c), stored in the car's memory - that is required by ODB II specification.

Most manufacturers, however, build their cars to report much more than ODB II requires. This extra data is proprietary (in other words - not easily accessible) and most of the time, can be read by the manufacturer built scanner.

As such, I would suggest taking your car to a dealer for the diagnostics, explaining in detail what you are experiencing. Do not give them any authorizations to go beyond diagnosing - tell them to tell you exactly what's wrong first. Once they tell you, ask them for a detailed explanation how their discovery relates to your experiences.

Once you got this explanation, you can usually forward the info to your trusted mechanic, who can perform the repairs for the fraction of the cost.

I had few electrical (engine, sensors) issues with my Maxima, and my mechanic could not figure out what they were. The dealer, for $70-100, did the diagnostics and gave detailed report of what they thought was wrong. Their estimate was very high though. My mechanic did the repairs for less than half of what the dealer wanted.

Another tip, search craigslist.org or local mechanics for someone with recent ASE "Master" mechanic certification - this usually means they have brains and experience.

I found a mechanic in Boston area, who has been certified Master Mechanic by ASE and Nissan, and opened his own shop. He's the best mechanic I've seen, and only charges $70/ hour.

Hope this helps.
    -Eugene
    '97 Maxima SE 5-speed. It's been 18 months since the repairs, and the issue is back. Car is again hard to start. Dealership wants another $700 to lower the transmission and sand it.

I still do not understand exactly what the problem is, but the dealer insists that the rust in the place, where the engine sits on the transmission, prevents the electrical signal from being read properly by some engine sensors, which results in hard starts and sometimes loud knocks during starts.

Based on the fact that I had trouble free starting after their last transmission sand-down for at least 9 months(it slowly started getting worse after this - 10 more months and I'm back where I started.), I think they are right about what the issue is - but do not do a good job at fixing it. They said that the problem should not re-appear for 5+ years, so I am disappointed.

Again, the dealer said that this is common with 95-99 Maximas, and they have seen many similar issues. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Thank you,
    Eugene
  • rossm1rossm1 Member Posts: 14
    Hi
    My Inlaws have 2004 Nisan Maxima with 40K miles on it
    They bought it new
    ABS system just broke (don't know details)
    To fix it dealer ask for 4K
    Is there anything they can do?
    Thanks

ROss
    Before agreeing to the dealer's price, take it to few reputable mechanics for a quote. Do not show the mechanics the quote from the dealer, but do describe the problem in detail.

You'll probably save ~50%

If you're in the Boston area - I can give you few numbers.

-Eugene
    Hmmm.... $700 every 18 mos to R&R the transmission without really fixing the problem? I don't know technically what they are doing, but it sounds like they don't know either. They should be able to fix the problem and prevent the return of the problem. If it's a known issue, ask what the correct procedure is as described in the TSB (technical service bulletin) and find out what they did, and if they did follow the procedure, ask them why the problem has returned so quickly. Put it back on them - they obviously didn't correct the problem, and it isn't fair that you should have to keep returning it to them to have the transmission sanded down, whatever the crap that means. :shades:
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Assuming the belt that he used was OEM or equal in quality, my best guess would be a loose tensioner that would need to be replaced. This is not uncommon. I would question any mechanic who "lubricates" belts as lubrication causes slippage something that you don't want. It is a quick fix to get rid of the problemsome customer.
    Based on my experience with my '97 Maxima SE 5 speed, it can be some of the 4 things below::

1. Ball joints are trashed. This would also make the car twitchy and unstable, and if not repaired on time, they start to rattle and eventually fall off, taking a wheel with them. A mechanic can check this in 5 minutes, once the car is lifted.

2. Sway bar links are worn out. This will result in a knocking sound on every bump. A mechanic can check this in 5 minutes, once the car is lifted.

3. Strut/Shock mounts. These, if broken, can allow the top of the shock/strut to have some horizontal movement - making a rattle on bumps. A mechanic can check this in 5 minutes, once the car is lifted by trying to move the top end of the strut, using a pry bar, from below the wheel.

4. One of the exhaust heat shields has rusted and got partially loose. This can introduce a general rattle while the car is shaking (going over a bump, starting). Again, a mechanic can check this in 5 minutes, once the car is lifted, by starting it and listening to the rattles.

Take it to a mechanic you trust and ask them to show you what they have found.

I had to change the ball joints and links a couple of years ago. Since your car is older, you’ll probably need to change some of the above.

If you end up changing the mounts, it makes sense to change the struts and strut boots at the same time. If it’s the ball joints, you’ll have to go with the aftermarket, as Nissan only sells them as part of the control arm.

Here are the replacement prices based on $65/hour labor rate.

Ball joints - front (replace in pairs): $58 part + $90 labor per wheel.
    Sway bar links- front (replace in pairs): $110/wheel for part and labor.
    Strut mount - front (replace in pairs): $35 part + $60 labor per wheel. + need alignment.

Hope this helps.
    -Eugene
    What are the symptoms when a ball joint is wearing out? My 97 GXE 5 speed has 201K on it now (I drive a lot) and the front end shakes on the freeway at speeds above ~ 75 mph. I also notice when I hit a bump at those speeds, there is some reverberation through the driveline for a moment. Accleration also produces vibrations through the steering wheel. I will probably replace it soon, but I'm wondering if my ball joints are worn out? I always said I'd drive it till the wheels fall off, but I really don't want to be in it if that happens :shades:
  • x6974xx6974x Member Posts: 1
    i had an aftermarket audio(JL audio) and alarm installed in my 1999 nissan maxima,my stock alarm is somehow stopping my car from starting, what do i do?
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    My SES light came on yesterday, about 50K miles, gas tank was down to about 1/2 so I doubt if it's a loose fuel cap.

Still I pulled over and tightened it again. I'm going to drive it a couple of days as the manual says it "may" go off by itself.

On my Lexus I can turn this light off by holding in the "odometer reset" button and turning the key ON. I didn't see a procedure in the Maxima's manual though.

I guess my regular mechanic can hook an ODB II analyzer to it, or I can go by the Nissan dealership (50 miles away) next time I'm in the "big city".

I'm guessing that most things that turn this on are "emissions" related so covered by the 80K miles mandated warranty, correct?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/hints.

windy6
  • tteschttesch Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 maxima se 5 speed i battery light has been coming on for like a month now but when you run the rpms above 3000 the light goes off. i hooked a voltmeter up to this to see if the alternator was kicking in but it wasn't. If i hit a back road and give it in 3rd gear get it going like 90 and push the clutch in it would work and finally kick in. Now that its cold out it never turns on there so my car dies. I don't know if i have a bad voltage regulator battery or what but i have tested all the voltages from the alternator to the battery and grounds good and the cables are good. i have also tightened the belt. if it was bad i wouldn't think that it would kick in everyonce in a while. if this keeps up im just going to put a new alternator in it and hope im not wasting money any help on what to do??
    Not sure if this is related or not, but there was a recall issued for Maxima's, including 97's, for the althernator. Seems a diode was installed incorrectly and can short out later in life. I'd look into it if your not certain the recall work has been done yet. Here's the link: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Recalls/Maxima/1997.htm

Good luck.
  • brorobert4xbrorobert4x Member Posts: 1
    I own an "04" max. that I purchased in March "04" and I only have 35k miles on it.My co-worker also brought one in May "04" and she has 80k miles.Now she has the extended warranty to 100k but I don't.She noticed that the tranny was slipping and she taken it to Nissan dealership in Roswell,Ga. and after charging her $95 they said she needed to get her tranny flushed and she told them that Gwinnett Nissan had did it 3000 miles ago.They told she need to go back to them and did not tell her that she needed a new tranny. Nissan dealership in Duluth,Ga told her that the tranny need to be replaced & it will take about 4 wks for them to get it. Now she was also told she should have had done at 30k but it is suppose to be good for up to 100k.They told her the fluid was dark now because of the parts in her tranny brakering down.
    Heres the kicker ; they told her that NISSAN is aware that the tranny has this problem with MAXIMAS but becasue it is not a safety issue they have not did a recall.Also they said that the mechanic that flushed it before should have done a half flush.The mechanic even said that he had to put a new tranny in his wife's "04"
    max.I'm not sure how many mile she had. My co-worker has taken her care to the dealership for the regular maintenance schdule also.I AM GETTING RID OF MY BETWEEN 40K & 50K and only having half flushes. They also told her that they are told if they notice a small leak of any kind of fluid they are told to not mention it unless the customer specficly ask for it.
    HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS TYPE OF PROBLEMS.I will provide the dealerships names upon request.THIS IS IMPORTANT.
    there is TSB for leaks in tranny and I do normal flushes every 30K.
    Ball joints are the pivot between the wheels and the suspension. They are rigid and prevent the wheel from folding sidewards.

To check the condition of a ball joint: Raise the car with the tires pointing straight ahead, grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Pull with the top hand and push with the bottom, then reverse. If tire moves at all, ball joint is on it’s way out. Movements of 1/4 inch mean that the ball joint is completely busted. Usually, if the tire has movement, it’ll be accompanied by a noticeable metal squeak.

There is another, more reliable, way to catch the ball joint failing before it’s completely busted, but for this, you’d have to insert a pry bar between the axle(I think...) and the ball joint, and see if you can get later to move. Do not push against any rubber parts(boots) – you’ll break them.

Nissan does not sell ball joints for this gen.(95-99) of Maxima's separately, but as a part of the control arm, which is more expensive.($160+ v.s. $60 for aftermarket ball joint) Unfortunately, most aftermarket ball joints have average lifespan of only about two years.
    A month ago I finally changed shocks on my '97 Maxima SE, w/ 5-speed at 106k miles. The old shocks did not fail, but with time got too soft - so the car was leaning too much in corners and was wobbly at speeds of 60+.

I first looked at the original equipment first, but decided to go with KYB AGX, since they were cheaper and have good reputation. These also have adjustable dumping, meaning you can adjust their firmness to your liking in 2 minutes. I changed the shocks, strut mounts, and boots at all four corners, and left the factory springs.

Now, 2000 miles after the change, I still find myself looking for excuses to take an extra ride, whenever I have time. I'm enjoying the car as if this was a new toy. I drive at 1/4 firmness setting, switching to 1/2 firmness for fun once in a while. My average gas mileage dropped from 27mpg to 23mpg, as I find myself having fun pushing the car harder.

I had the KYB front strut mount bearing squeaking at first, but my mechanic injected some lithium grease into it, and it was fine since then.

At 1/4 max firmness the ride feels like the stock replacement, with better handling, less leaning in corners and less wobbling at highway speeds. I guess the ride is equiv. to KYB GR-2, which are cheaper, but are not adjustable.

At 1/2 max firmness the ride is harder, but is still OK. I like this setting for drives on highway/back roads, but the road imperfections can get annoyingly noticeable during everyday commute. I have not tried firmer settings, as I feel they'd be way too hard for me.

Anyway, when the mechanic removed the old shocks, they found that while the fronts were the 10 year old factory installed shocks, the rears were ~3.5 year old Monroe Sensatrack, prev. owner must have changed the rears. As I mentioned before, I felt the both the front and the back gotten too soft - which means that Monroe's got worn in less than 4 years. Will see how KYB does on the reliability.

Expenses:
    $310 KYB AGX shocks set
    $140 Front(w/bearings) and rear KYB strut mounts, 4x boots.
    $450 Labor to replace + 4 wheel alignment.
    ------
    $900 Total
    Out of curiosity, do you or anyone reading this know if you can damage the ball joints or anything else in the process of replacing the CV axles? I let mine go instead of replacing the boots when I should have (brilliant, I know) and ended up replacing the axles. Ever since, there has been a slight wobble at certain speeds, which is why I wondered about ball joints. It seems related more to a range of RPM's than vehicle speed. I haven't paid particular attention, but it seems to be worse between about 3000-4000 rpms. I am going to be selling the car soon anyway, so I'm not big on putting a bunch of cash into it now - I've got over 200k on it. Other than this however, it has been a great car and still runs beautifully. Thanks for the advice.
    There is nothing complex about changing the CV axles. You'll get vibration if they are put in incorrectly, but this is rare and is usually discovered during the wheel alignment. Did you do the alignment after the change?

Could it be that what you feel, is torque steer? Not having the proper alignment could make the torque steer feel worse. If this is tied to the specific speed range - check whether the tires are properly balanced, and whether the wheels are still perfectly round.

I know I feel torque steer at 3.5-5k rpm, but it's not bad. Was much worse before I got the car aligned :)
  • cris23cris23 Member Posts: 2
    i have a problem my nissan 1999 SE is staling in the stop light i just did a tune up
    and changed the air filter gas filter and the coil in one it is still stalling alittle the engine light is not on i dont know what to do i am worried please help me
    Have you checked you Idle Air Controller? That sounds like your problem since your stalling while idling.
  • efflandtefflandt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 SE 5 spd (purchased May 94). Normally when you jack up the car and grab a tire top and bottom there should be no noticeable play in/out top or bottom.

Many years ago I had a rt front wheel bearing fail (warranty expired) and after I took it to my dealer 3 times and explaining that there was play in that tire, they wouldn't do anything (thought it was normal, since they also sold Buicks). I finally had an independent garage fix it, and by then the failed bearing had eaten into the axle, requiring a hub assembly.

At somewhere over 100,000 miles I had struts replaced (stut boots had disintegrated, and strut bearings were clunking when turning wheel at low speed). They also replaced front lower control arms because one of the bushings had migrated. I had them both replaced since I do competition driving (high speed autocross).

13 years old and still going strong. Never any internal engine, clutch, trans, or A/C problems at all (just injectors and O2 sensors).
  • cris23cris23 Member Posts: 2
    thankyou i will have it checked do you know how much the cost would be in your point of view
    Replacement IAC would run about $ 150 dealer retail with about another $100 in labor to install and test. If you have a service manual around you could try and clean and reinstall it as sometimes its due to dirt and carbon clogging it up rather than a part failure.
  • goalieherkgoalieherk Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Maxima just started giving me problems in the cold weather. It has a very low idle at cold starting, I have to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it running! Once warmed up, it's fine. Are we looking at a Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor issue?
  • konelkonel Member Posts: 3
    I have a 89 maxima and for some reason the heater and defroster stopped blowing hot air.I checked to make sure the valve is opening for the hot water supply to get to the heater core but it still does not get hot.Could it be the thermastat? Any suggestions as to what I should look for.Thanks :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Check your coolant level. If it's very low you won't get heat in the car.
  • minho78minho78 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same type of issue with my 2000 maxima. I noticed that the car after 3500 rpm was choking. I decided to change the MAF and it resolved the problem.
  • konelkonel Member Posts: 3
    I checked the coolant level as one of the first things and it was fine.I did notice that the heater hose going into the heater core gets fairly hot but the return line is cold to the touch.Is it possi :confuse: ble the heater core is clogged.I don't really know much about them but I was thinking it is similsr to a radiator or is this wrong?
    Thanks Konel
    Did you check the radiator or the overflow tank? Sometimes one is full while the other isn't.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How did you check the heater valve exactly? It's really rare for a heater core to be completely plugged up. It can happen but it's unusual.

If you have hot water going in but not coming out it's either a massive clog or a bad valve. That's about it.

You could take compressed air to one of the hoses and blast it through.

Let's see, what else. You could have a bad water pump but then the car would overheat pretty darn quick.