Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Sphinx99: What'd they give you at the dealership on your trade? Do you know what they're asking for it? Is it still on the lot? Just curious!

So as we all know, Prelude sightings are few and far between. On 2 consecutive nights, I spotted 2 Preludes driving my way. Friday night was a White Type SH with some sort of ground effects kit, exhaust, and what looked to be like some sort of hyper-white bulbs. I flashed and honked when he passed me. He flashed some sort of strobe lights back my way with an air horn honk. Last night I passed a Blue base model who gave me the thumbs up after I honked and waved.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    My post was nuked by the Righteous Hand of Shiftright. I guess we can't post links to other auto sites? (Yikes.)

Anyway -

I just want to try Zaino to see what the hype is about. I've been content with Meguires for a few years now... it's easily purchased at local auto stores.

I got 17k for the Prelude... it's being advertised for 18.5k now. (Not sure if linking to the dealership also violates the policy... I'll err toward the side of caution.)
    with Meguire's, then stick with it! I'm sure the Zaino turns out great, but how much better I really don't know.

17K from the dealership isn't too bad. You had over 30K miles on the car right?

What did you decide to do as far as winter wheels/tires on your S2000?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Aren't you even the slightest bit curious about Zaino after all the hype?! I know, I know, it's silly but I really want to try this allegedly amazing stuff.

Yes, 30k miles. Actually 31k-something. Trading it in actually spared me a $400-something 30k service bill too. The interval service is kind of pricy. The dealership does have the car and they're advertising $18.5k. Good luck to them, they're gonna need it!

I've been holding off on tires because I really want to find a set of OEM 16" rims, but it's difficult. New, they're over $300 each, far too expensive. Every now and then I see them used on eBay or elsewhere but have been reluctant to pull the trigger. I might just call Tirerack tomorrow and buy the cheapest 16" rims they have that'll fit the S2000.

The tires definitely will be Blizzak LM22s. A friend of mine has them in his daily driver 911 and they're phenomenal.
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    Sphinx99-

I have a silver '98 Prelude and I have used Zaino for it since purchase. For me, Zaino works great, keeps the sheen and water beading for 6-8 months per application--and the Prelude spent its first 5 years in rainy Portland Oregon. The dried wax was very easy to remove and made buffing a snap. Despite the fact it requires a 2-step application, it was still easier to apply and buff overall than standard waxes.

Ken
    So I went to the Jets vs. Patriots game last night with my Dad. Returned to the car after the game only to find that somebody was kind enough to borrow my Thule roof rack with bike attachments! I was beyond livid!

The good thing is that the person who stole it knew what they were doing because there are only a few scratches on my roof from where they removed the roof rack!

I'm still mad though!

Of all the things I'd imagine to pose a risk of getting stolen, that would not have been one of them. Wheels, maybe. Engine, sure. Seats, why not. But the bike rack?!

I guess they really needed it. Either that or the thief was, uh, intellectually challenged.

(In Baltimore when I was in college, a guy went into a convenience store, pulled out a gun, but before asking for money he accidentally shot dead the clerk. Then, in front of the customers present, he spent five minutes yelling at the clerk to open the register and give him money... which was about how long it took for the police to show up. Baltimore didn't have very smart crooks.)

Anyway... my deep consolences for your loss. Fortunately (and I know that's an odd word to use at a time like this) the person knew what they were doing. A bike rack is pretty cheap to replace versus, say, a paint job or worse.
    I appreciate your condolences:)

Well, at least my beautiful Type SH Wheels are in storage for the winter:)

For the life of me I can't figure out why they would steal the bike rack! Most people I know who bike or ski seem to have money. Maybe I'll check out ebay to see if the guy's selling it.

The total cost of everything that was stolen is about $500. Part of what made me mad is that it was a gift from my girlfriend (now my fiancee) last year for Hanukkah.

Now that I finally have someplace to host pictures I thought I'd post a pic of my dearly departed but fondly remembered Type SH. (Sorry about the blown out highlights.)

It is beautiful!

Yes, although the sex appeal of red is missing :)

I posted some pics of the S2000 on the S2000 discussion topic, check 'em out.

Saw something pretty bizarre the other day: a yellow 4th gen. I don't think I've ever seen one before, was it an available color? (I'm pretty sure the 3rd gens could be had in yellow.) The rear actually looked nice (those funky red taillamps against yellow paint) but the front was very modern-day-yellow-Cavalier in appearance.
    I was going to ask you to post some pics of your new Blue S2K, but you beat me to it:) I saw 'em last night! What a beautiful car! Best of luck with it! The Blue is definitely unique. The nw for '04 changes really make the car look better than it originally did:)-

Did you get your winter tires/rims yet?

When the 4th gen was introduced to the press (way back at the end of '91), the car on the cover of one of the magazines (Car & Driver I believe) was actually Yellow. It was never offered as a color choice here in the US. The car you saw must have been a custom paint job.

There's actually a Yellow 4th Gen buzzing around my neighborhood near work. I think it is a '95. The car is painted a faded yellow. It looks like the Dakar Yellow from the E36 M3 or the Yellow on the VW bugs. Not my taste. I prefer the yellow above you mentioned like that on the Cavalier, SLK, 911 & Boxster, Diablo.

I actually like the 4th gens a lot. The stock taillights look MUCH better than the Altezzas that most people seem to be putting on them.

I want to wish everybody out there in Preludeland here on TH (blacktalon, himiler, sphinx99, and anybody else I may have forgotten) a happy, healthy, and safe new year!

Absolutely - happy holidays to Prelude fans and owners everywhere! (Even owners of yellow 4th gens!)
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Happy New Year to all the Prelude owners out there in Edmunds-land!
    I remember himiler saying (before he dropped off the face of TH and into his RED WRX WAGON) that one of the reasons he wanted the subie's AWD with I believe some other electronic gizmos (EBD, Stability Control) was that he needed all the help he could get against some of the scary drivers out there. Luckily my Prelude is still up to the daunting task.

I got off an exit ramp that is a 10mph hairpin. There was some fellow in an Expedition (with only 1 functioning brake light on the left) who decided to stop in the middle of the apex to decide whether he made a wrong turn or not. The Preludes brakes were more than up to the challenge.

There's nothing more important on a car than progressive, linear brakes.
    So This afternoon I parked my car where there were those concrete parking blocks. Well the car was parked uphill and I was in the last spot. So instead of reversing, I decided to just pull forward. DOAH! I'll be buying myself a new Michelin PA2 Alpin tomorrow along with a new $25 steel wheel and a new set of front mud flaps. It could have been much worse, but I'm still mad at myself for not paying attention.

When you drive with the doughnut spare on, the ATTS light stays on. Once I get the correct sized tire it will be back to normal. Driving the Prelude with that Doughnut is like being Spider-Man without and web cartdriges.

Don't let Mary Jane find out.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Just thought I'd pop back in for a minute and see what was happening. Happy New Year, and such.

NYC -- Bummer of a curb-job.

How do you like those Alpins? I'm running four Dunlop Wintersport M2 tires with OE alloys on my WRX, and they get the job done quite nicely, although they're not as good on ice as the Alpins. For an H-rated snow, the M2s are very quiet and comfy.

My former Prelude is doing great under its new stewardship -- the guy calls once in a while with updates, and I helped him remove and clean his CAI filter before winter hit. He just put 4 new Alpins on it, and is really enjoying the power-on drifting entertainment that they provide.

Talk to you folks later!
    Glad to hear you're diggin' the WRX!

So far I've really only experienced the PA2 Alpins on dry and wet pavement (no icy or snowy conditions yet). They really don't give up much in drivability from the RE92s.

• newludeshnewludesh Member Posts: 2
    All,

I'm happy to say that I have joined the elite fraternity of Prelude owners worldwide! I recently bought a silver '01 sh. This car is a dream: classic lines, excellent handling, reasonable power, and a eager motor. Barring unfortunate accidents, I forsee a long future of toothy grins behind the wheel of this fantastic car.

That being said, I have question for all the Prelude gurus out there. I need to know which wire from the driver's side high beam harness is (+) and which one is (-). I see two wires a red w/orange stripe and a black one. I need this information so I can complete my first modification. I'm trying to wire my garage door opener to the high beam wire such that pulling the high beam stalk results in the garage door openeing. Thanks!
    Got my new steel wheel and new PA2 Alpin tire today, mounted and balanced. The car still tracks perfectly. We're expecting some snow in a day or 2. I can't wait to find out how they handle.

congrats on your car! How many miles are on the car? How much did you pay for it? Did you buy from a dealer or private party? Where do you live?

Fantastic car :) I love the color! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Yes, please do share the details.

We are currently getting six inches of snow dumped on us in Detroit. I borrowed my father's Accord to get to work. I nearly fell asleep driving it, but with winter tires it does tear through snow with no real problems.
  • newludeshnewludesh Member Posts: 2
    I bought the car about 6 months ago. At the time of purchase it had 12k on it. I bought it from a private seller (nice guy) for 17.5k. He had babied the car and ran into some financial difficulty and was forced to sell. I upgraded the stock cloth seats to Classic Soft Trim leather. I bought the car in TX. No snow here :)

Also if anyone has any information on the wire polarity question above your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    I don't know the answer but I know I've seen it on another Prelude web site. Edmunds TOS = can't post the name of the site here, but do a search and you might be able to find it. This is not exactly the strongest Prelude site on the net... it's basically nyccarguy holding down the fort and people like himiler, blacktalon and myself providing moral support :)
    I thought you bought Blizzaks for the '04 S2000?

You're probably better off in the accord anyway. You're probably better off in the accord.

Nope, I still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm set on the tires but for the life of me I can't settle on a set of winter rims. There aren't many choices available in the S2000's offsets, and I think I want a set of used '00-'03 16" rims when they go on sale locally.

There definitely is something to be said for the Accord, which was quiet, had bite, and has traction control. I was amazed at how quiet and solid a vehicle it is, and this is a previous-gen LX V6 too. I wonder how the new one would fare in the snow. Driving something like a S in inclement weather actually puts one in a position to be amazed by something as "boring" as an Accord. The first time it sort of rescues itself from a skid, your jaw just drops and you say, "wow... cooooool."
    SO we got a nice blanket of snow as well as some damn cold weather and I got to check out the traction characteristics of the Pilot PA2s. They really do a phenomenal job in the snow. I love driving stick in the snow too as you really have so much control over the car. I started from the tops of hills with the greatest of ease, rounded corners safely, tracked well on the highway, and never broke a sweat while climbing down a hill...Who needs a 5000lb 4WD truck? Give me my Prelude with the PA2s, a 5 speed, and ABS.

On a side note, my Dad ordered an X5 today. I can't wait to get my hands on it in this kind of weather:)

• mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    I have a 2001 Honda Prelude SH with about 29,000 miles on it that I bought in November. Now that it is cold out (below freezing) the rear suspension squeaks and creaks over bumps and rough roads. My dealer replaced some upper collars for the rear struts under warranty but this doesn't seem to have helped much. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe Honda issued a TSB for this condition. It is called shock-knock and is a common problem in 5th generation Preludes. The NHTSA# is: 243947

Well I closed on my condo today and am really excited! What does this have to do with the Prelude? Well, it means that I'm going to be driving further to and from work for one and it also means that I'm going to be driving the Prelude for a long, long while.

This past weekend I took a ski trip with a Youth Group (hey, it was a free 3 day skiing weekend in Vermont) with my friend who is a Rabbi, his wife, my fiancee, and 42 teenagers. At night a bunch of us were all talking and hangin out when the guys started talkin cars. I can't tell you how many of them told me how cool they thought my Prelude was and that they wish they would get the chance to own one.

That's great :)

I need to learn how to ski!
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    I always enjoyed my Prelude when the roads were greasy. The car's low center of gravity, wide track and "steer with your butt" handling made it quite the SnoCat when it was wearing the winter treads. Just a tap on the brakes was all it took to tuck in the nose and rotate the tail a bit.

Nowadays, I'm finding myself doing the Swedish Flick and going around most low-speed corners sideways (when traffic conditions permit, of course). The AWD/rear LSD thing is a real gas, and I haven't yet found a corner so deep that I can't claw my way out. (Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself.)

As much as I loved the Prelude, the WRX is easily the finest car I've ever owned, overall. It has genuine character, and aside from a desire for more brake feel (the Prelude's binders gave much better feedback and were a bit easier to modulate), I wouldn't change a thing about it. Come Springtime, I'll probably try some stainless brake lines and the stiffer STi master cylinder bracket to firm the pedal up.

NYC -- Congrats on your condo!

MWCARLSO -- The Prelude's rear suspension uses a whole bunch of links (4 on each side!), so it's only natural for things for rattle a bit when temperatures drop and bushings shrink a bit. From what you describe, you're not still hearing shock-knock, just normal cold suspension noise.

Keep in mind that G5 Preludes are infamous for minor rattles and buzzes when cold, mostly due the the super-stiff unibody and short-travel suspension.
  • chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    Just to agree with everyone- my 1999 Prelude(sold with 72,000 miles) did have some suspensin noises when cold, but no rattles or anything of the sort. They disappeared after a mile or so and were completely absent in warm weather. The shock knock is a slightly different noise that didnt always occur.

Although I had the stock tires on the Prelude, which pretty much sucked in the rain and snow, I managed to drive from NYC to Boston last Christmas (it snowed more than 2 feet). I left NYC when there was about 3-4", thinking i wouldnt be as bad since the storm came from the south. Halfway up the Merritt what little traffic was left had slowed to about 30mph, which i stayed at until Boston. 7 hours later, I can thank the low center of gravity, superb steering and feel, and great chassis and brake feel. I know i wouldnt have made it in my old Accord.
    I had a couple of minor rattles here and there, typically when the car was cold or had been driven repeatedly on bumpy roads for a few days.
    I passed the 20K mile mark today! Still putting smiles on my face:)

• shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Wow, time passed really quick. I still remember the day you talked about getting a Prelude and getting quotes from dealers and locate the car....

Glad to hear that you still enjoy the car. You will enjoy it more when the weather becomes better.
    even in the snow! We're getting some nasty white stuff dumped on us here in the city. The PA2s will definitely shine tomorrow morning:)

Yeah, time does fly when you're having fun! At the end of April, my Prelude will be 2!

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Hello All, just found this board. What a wealth of information! I have a 2001 Bl/Bl Prelude with 8,800 mi. It just turned two the other day :)
    with your Prelude! Welcome to the board. Is your car the base or Type SH model? Stick or Automatic? 8800 miles! WOW, how often do you drive it! We've actually got somebody on the board with less miles than me now!

LOOK, we've even got a sponsor now!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    welcome timothy!

MrShiftright
    the Host
    NYC-Its the Type SH stick, only way my man! Yeah 8800 miles I only drive it in nice weather, I have a 92 integra gs-r I drive when it snows and yucky weather. But I plan on driving it more, the handling is impressive, the best in a front wheel drive I'd have to say. So I'll be catching up with you, so watch out.

Shiftright-Thanks for the invite, you run a good board keep up the good work.
    Type SH too huh (Mine's a Milano Red '01 Type SH)? Sweet ride! Your winter beater '92 GSR is pretty nice too. You've got 2 very rare cars, I like your taste. What color is that?

I drive my Prelude year round. It is fitted with a set of Michelin Pilot PA2 tires mounted on steel wheels for winter duty!

Teal Green GS-R. Yes I like the fact that both cars kinda have that exclusivity factor. I test drove a Milano Red Prelude, thats a really nice color as well. Its a really deep, rich red very nice. I still have the OEM tires on their, and as I've read on this board they are VERY slick!
      I'll be replacing those as soon as possible. I was wondering is their a HID kit available for the Prelude?
    As far as I know, there is no true HID kit for the Prelude.

No I'm not selling mine (and it would be against TH regulations to solicit here anyway), but I was reading a newspaper on Long Island on Sunday and saw a dealer advertising a 2001 Prelude Type SH with 41K miles for $18,995! I love my car and I know Preludes have great resale value, but that seems a bit insane! I know it is a dealer's asking price which is negotiable, but let's say the dealer gave someone $16K for that car...not too shabby.

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I had a 1992 Prelude and loved it. I now have a nice Accord EX-L (2003). It handles well but heavier than the Prelude.

What are good cars to replace a Prelude? With 4 doors? TSX? WRX? TL? G35? Subaru Legacy GT?

I like Japanese sporty cars. My wife and I expect a child this year.
    Interesting dilemma you've got there:)

Well some of our fellow Prelude owners who participate on this board have sold their cars and moved on.

Sphinx99 sold his Silver '01 Type SH Prelude for an '04 S2000. This probably wouldn't be a viable option for you if you've got a child on the way.

himiler sold his '01 Silver Prelude for a Red WRX Wagon.

How much are you willing to spend on your next car? Is it going to be a stick or automatic?

If you're looking at the G35 & TSX, why not check out a BMW 3 series? A 325i with Manual Transmission and Sport Package should definitely match handling wits with the Prelude.