Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• argieargie Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know about the Engine Mount noise problems that some of the 2000-01 Maximas might experience?

For about a month, I had this Engine Mount squealing noise that would last about half to one second after turning the engine off. This particularly happens after an over 20 minute freeway drive. I know that Engine Mounts are to lift the engine to a position where maximun performance is possible during driving.

I went to the dealer for service, and they told me that this happens to some Maximas. It is not a problem if all mounts lift properly and uniformly. They checked my engine, and it seems that they all lift without a problem. However, the problem went away after just a month.

Any experiences?

Also, I was wondering about the Timing Chain that Maximas has been using for some time. I know that it last longer and is smoother. However, some say that it would wear down the bearing or parts supporting it. And eventually, it wouldn't be that good for the engine after all.

Regular Timing Belts needs replacing about every 60 to 75 thousand miles. From my experience, once the old Timing Belt is replaced, the car runs almost like new again (at least you can feel that it runs much better once replaced).

A good friend of mine has a '00 Lexus GS300, it does not have Timing Chain. For a luxury car, it has only Timing Belt. Kinda strange. They say that it is better for the car in the long run.

My friend said that until a few years ago, many of our American cars had Timing Chain. They experienced a lot of problems, and learn from the Japanese that Timing Belts are actually better. So many of our cars carry only Timing Belts now.

Any inputs?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The Check Engine light is on because the engine control computer has detected a problem with an emission-related system or component. A diagnostic trouble code is now stored in the computer, and any shop with a scan tool can access the DCT. The most common cause of the CEL is a gas cap not tightened properly or defective (releases hydrocarbons into the atmosphere).
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Argie,

I have 2 Maximas, '95 GLE purchased new in Sept 1994 and a '00 SE purchased new in Oct 1999.

At the time I purchased the 95 I specifically inquired about the chain the max uses because I had some of the same concerns you expressed.

Dealers book specifically describes the design of the VQ engine and how it is engineered for extremely long and reliable life. It states that the minimum acceptable life that the chain was designed for is 200,000 miles.

I have 185,000 on my '95 with no problems related to the timing chain but I do occasionally wonder about the possibility of having it changed sometime in the next year or two.

I also am up to 94,000 on the '00 SE with no issues related to the motor mounts or timing chain.
  • rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    Just purchased a 1984 Nissan Maxima station wagon from a retired school teacher that has 49K on the odometer. Car has been faithfully maintained at the dealership. Oil changes have been done every 3 months.

There is no rust on the outside of the vehicle and it looks as if the car has been under coated with Ziebart. Noticed the Ziebart sticker on the window. Also noted various holes where Ziebart has been applied on a yearly basis according to her records.

After checking all the records, I noticed that the car has had major tuneups at 18K, 30K and 42K. The last tuneup was done in 1999. Coolant has been changed every two years and belts every 3 years. Transmission fluid every 2 years. This woman was a stickler for service and maintained the car like it was off the showroom floor. She recently put Michelin X-Ones as tires on the car and even changed the spare underneath the car.

My question is, should I take the car in for another tune-up? Car seems to run like a charm. Also, I am wondering about the rear shocks and front struts. They seem to be original.

Any other areas that I should have checked out?
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Sounds like a gem to me. I'd be all over it if everything checks out and that's what you're in the market for. I heard those older Max's are great and that's what built their cult reputation for being an excellent car. Some of the older Max owners even say they like their old ones better than the new. Don't know myself, bought my 00 SE brand new in Oct 99. Had a couple squeak/rattle issues, but dealer fixed after multiple tries and she runs good now. Only thing I don't like is the Auto tranny, it doesn't "slip", but it gets confused easy when already moving and then punching it down. Besides that, she's solid.

Just my .02
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    Argie, I have a 2001 SE automatic. Since new, I've had a minor "thump" noise / sensation at moderate to hard acceleration or when goosing it while it's rolling. I asked service about it. They said I was not the only one and is inherant in these cars. I believe that the mounts in the SE are a little different than the other 2 models but not sure about that. I believe that they are electronically controled or something like that. Doesn't seem to affect performance at all. All in all, car drives so good but I don't get better than 23 MPG on avarage in mixed driving. Going to take a long trip in July and I should see good mileage then. Good luck.
  • socal_racefansocal_racefan Member Posts: 17
    Mike - I have a 96' SE 5spd. Years ago maybe back in 98 or 99, my check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer and under warranty they fixed a defective Oxygen (O2) sensor. Later I think I remember getting something in the mail direct from Nissan saying that my car had a recall on it. It was the O2 sensor and another sensor. These are for the emissions system. Did you ever have them replaced? If not that might be something to check into with your dealer.
    Also - I once had a quick-lube place not lock the air filter box down after they checked it. When I started the car to leave I noticed the check engine light was on. They found the problem w/ the air filter quick. But the light stayed on until it reset itself - which is like 50 or so starts. Check on the recall and I hope that's it and I would think Nissan would pay for it.
  • socal_racefansocal_racefan Member Posts: 17
    ccermak - I've been bad and have not be keeping up with the boards. Re: your smelly car. My only comment would be this. Do you get your oil changed by someone else or do you do it yourself? I have always had my 96 SE done by someone else (quick lube). Mine always smells after the oil is changed. I think oil from when the filter is taken off gets dripped on a part that gets hot. = smell. Just a thought.
  • weltonwweltonw Member Posts: 21
    vanbo57 - FYI, I also get the thumping you describe with my 02 SE 6-spd. It's only during acceleration, and only when I quickly give it a lot of gas. If I gradually increase the gas it doesn't happen.

Seeing that you (and others, as your mechanic mentioned) are also experiencing this, I personally don't worry about it. I notice it when it happens, but it's not anything which is really annoying.

argie - thanks for sharing the story with your ignition problem. It's good to know it was something as simple as a key reprogramming. About a week ago I had the same starting problem (first time): the engine would crank but not start. I first did what the manual said, which was to hold the gas down while cranking, but that didn't help. At this point I was getting concerned, but then I remembered postings similar to yours in which the key was the potential source of the problem. So I took the key out of the ignition, waited a couple seconds, put it back it - started right up.
  • bigmoneymikebigmoneymike Member Posts: 6
    Well, the check engine light did turn out to be the oxygen sensor. But yesterday, the car battery completely died on me and the car just stalled on the street. I had to have it towed to the local shop I go to. So they had to replace the battery & the O2 sensor, plus oil change and couple of other stuff. That's the last time I buy the cheaper battery from PepBoys - I think it barely lasted 2 years or so. Thanks to all for your help!
  • argieargie Member Posts: 22
    dklanecky - Thanks for the info on Timing Chains. So far, my car has been running great. As mentioned before, the Engine Mounts noise is gone. So that's even better.

vanbo57 - The dealer service guy told me about the same thing regarding the Engine Mount noise problems with some nissans. This noise would not affect any performance with the car.

Yes, it is electronically controlled by the computer. Thus, it cannot be lubricated or fixed. They have to be replaced, but that's only if it begans to affect your driving.

weltonw - Luckly it was just a key reprogramming thing. May be Nissan should find better electronic chips for the keys. This is a simple problem that could be solved if they used a better device.
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    argie, weltonw, thanks for the feedback on the mounts. With these past couple of notes, I feel better about it, not that it was much of an issue. The car has been flawless in all other respects but paint.
  • bkswardbksward Member Posts: 93
    I had an '84 5-speed sedan that I sold in '97 with 105k on it. The major problems that I encountered were 1. The AC compressor had a plate that would warp resulting in a freon leak. 2. The plastic mounts that surrounded the fuel injectors cracked with age and allowed a some gas to leak out around the fuel injectors.

The second of these, I would consider changing all the plastic surrounds if you ever remove the rail that feeds fuel to the injectors. The surrounds were about $4 each in '96, but it was about 2-3 hours labor to get to them.
  • rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the information bksward. I guess I am worried about the struts which are original as well as the rear shocks. My air conditioning works fantastic. I guess the only thing I will have to worry about down the line is converting it over.
  • jmeijmei Member Posts: 2
    Nissan has a Technical Service Bulletin on 1996 Maxima regarding CEL TSB96-021

code: P0440/P0443/P0446 (EVAP system)

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/41/96411757.html

• mymaxima1mymaxima1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Maxima GXE, and have been running great for about 31,000 miles. But today the light "Service Engine Soon" is on. Does someone know what has caused the light on? Thanks.
  • spider780spider780 Member Posts: 6
    Hello-
    I have a '91 maxima, and the seatbelt warning light and alarm comes on at random as I'm driving down the road. I always wear the shoulder and lap belts, and sometimes the warning will come on every five minutes as I'm driving - anyone know what is causing this or a a fix?
    thanks,
    Bill
  • bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    You're probably due for the 30,000 mile service. Take it in to a dealer right away to check, to make sure it's nothing more than that.
  • tsuoyingtsuoying Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking at a 96 GLE with 80k on it. Things seem to be fine except that the transmission was rebuilt. Owner said the 1st and 3rd gears seemed to be having problems. The job cost $2.6k, which was quite a surprise to me. My question is just in general how reliable one can expect a rebult transmission to be. Of course that depends on the job done on it but does anyone have any general comments on this? Thanks!

paul (pthuang@aol.com)
  • ahalinahalin Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else experienced the fuel gauge warning light coming on and the computer DTE mileage flashing when there is plenty of gas left in the tank? The warnings come on when the gauge needle touches the Empty line, but with 18.5 gallon capacity tank, I can only put in 15 gallons, even after the DTE is flashing '0'. Other vehicles I have owned, the warnings come on with about 30 miles left of fuel capacity, but I estimate I have 75-90 miles of fuel capacity left with the Maxima and I'm being told that the tank is empty. I find it very annoying.
  • djp2cdjp2c Member Posts: 39
    Nissan in Canada have agreed to correct the problem of Hood Bounce that earlier models of the 2002 Maxima have experienced.

My wife would not drive my Maxima on the highway because she was afraid the hood would come up.

It is expecially dangerous in windy conditions.

The service bulletin will be out in July.
  • spencer404spencer404 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1993 Maxima GXE automatic, and have been happy with everything, with the exception of the anti-theft system. I didn't even know it had a factory alarm until a policeman rang my bell at 2am and gave me a ticket for it being on for over 4 minutes. I pulled a fuse, but it turned out to be a relay fuse which the guy who installed my SECOND alarm told me needed to stay in. He also old me that as long as I didn't lock the doors with the key, the factory alarm would not sound. But now when I lock the doors with the remote for the SECOND alarm, it still goes off, and now they sometimes both go off. It happens every few days, sometimes days in a row. I have to either run down 3 flights and run to shut it off every time, or make sure I get a space right by the window so I can use the remote. I am desparate.

Somebody PLEASE help me, my neighbors are beginning to hate me, and I fear that someone may damage the car in retaliation for losing sleep. In the streets of Chicago, it may just happen.

I would appreciate any help whatsoever, I have looked in Chilton's, the owner's manual, but I can't figure it out. If anyone knows how to disarm the factory alarm, I would greatly appreciate it!

PLEASE HELP

Thanks!
  • brothjebrothje Member Posts: 3
    My 95 Maxima's air flow control knob recently stopped working when used on the 1,2, or 3 setting. Doesn't matter if you're using the air condition or just letting in the outside air. The weird thing is that it works fine if its on high, or the 4 setting.

Anyone have any suggestions or have had a similar experience?
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I think I remember reading about some Fan troubles. You may need to replace the fan, or the switch. Sorry I don't have more info. If Edmonds would get a search engine you could find what you were looking for.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    Do these things give trouble?
    My bose 6 cd changer died after a year.

The radio now at 4 years has the display gone away.

Anyone else having same problems?

Bose= hi end name but my old Toyota radio is better.
  • igork1igork1 Member Posts: 6
    I have received recall letter from NMAC and would like to sare this info. with everybody.I owe Max 2002 SE.
    Here it is:
    Nissan has determined that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2001 and 2002 models. One of the parts of front suspension in your vehicle which is called the transverse link may break where it is mounted to the frame.
    This may cause knocking sound or ubnormal steering. This may result in difficulty controlling the vehicle which, if ignored, could CAUSE A CRASH!!! Have your dealer replace those links on the left and right side with new ones.
    I have a 2000 SE, wonder if that applies to our car as well? I have not received anything from Nissan on it yet.

Dd
    My recall letter states that this applies to 2001/02 models only. But I would check with your dealer just in case. When, after 1 month since I bought the car, I complained to them about abnormal steering, they said, that it is a road crown and never did anything. Wonder what they gonna say now. But no matter what their excuse is, you don't ever trust them. I will go to my local mechanic after they fix it and have him look at it.
    Ever since new, our car has had a very slight "deadspot" in the steering and a very slight tendency to wander and need correction. On short trips you hardly notice it, but it is pretty noticable on longer trips. The dealer said it was in alignment and was normal.

Is that what is happening to your SE? Since they hardly changed the car at all from 2000-2002 I'd think the recall would also be for my car as well.

DD
    What was happening is the from very first day steering wheel was slightly tilted to the left. I did not feel any changes in ride nor hear any unususal noises. When I went to my dealer, mechanic who took it for test drive said that tilt is normal and toyota and infinity do the same thing. Tilt was more noticable in stop-n-go traffic. Every time, after stop, I had to adjust stering wheel some what close to 45 degrees in order to keep it straight. I picked up my car today after the replaced transverse link but I did not feel any difference in alignment. Steering wheel still kind of tilted. Any way I will see independent mechanic tomorrow and than post my message. Also they mentioned that this could happened because of low profile tires which SE 2002 is equiped with. Any way, probably the best way here is to go to independent mechanic.
  • bythelevelbythelevel Member Posts: 1
    Hey I'm going to buy a MAXima what whould i be looking for?
  • bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    Maybe a good dealer?
    There is no such a thing as a good dealer. Pal, what world you living in? And from my own experience: if looking for Max, you better of with Honda.Far more reliable.
  • prinziiprinzii Member Posts: 1
    I just had the issue resolved yesterday. Expect to have your Max tied up for almost 7 hrs because the glue used to reseal the liner takes about that long to cure.

To get mine corrected, I used this thread as a reference and printed out the TSB. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29351

• shayesky1shayesky1 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to buy a 91 Maxima, the car I am looking at has 171K on it. Is this too many miles? Owner has service records. What should I have a mechanic look for? I need a 5-6k per year second car. thank you. Car is an automatic.
    with that many miles, I'd look to see if the cam chain had been replaced. If not, it probably won't last too much longer. If it has a belt (Mine is 2000 I'm not familir with the old ones) also look for repair history. If the car is cheap, you could give it a shot and not loose much if you bet wrong.

check transmission fluid for burnt smell, correct level (typically running in park), and as clean looking as possible. If it hasn't been changed 2-3 times, it needs it.

At that mileage, everything needs looking at, I'd have a mechanic check it out unless its really cheap and you're willing to take a risk.

Might be a great beater for your needs.

DD
  • shayesky1shayesky1 Member Posts: 7
    I drove the car last night. it has been kept in excellent condition. the ownder provided a list of maintenance records since he hashad the car. Every 2-3K, something had to be replaced. He thinks it was also in an accident. I was thinking of offering him around 2600 (asking 3300). But, with the frequency of repairs, I am going to pass on this one.
    Sounds like the owner at least kept things up. Many many owners let things go and just jury rig stuff, won't fix dents, duct tape headliners, etc. Sounds like it was well cared for, but an car with that much milage will have recently need like fuel pump, fuel filter, shocks, transmission work (maybe), AC service, radiation, waterpump, periodic brake work, etc.

I sold a '88 shadow turbo that I had kept up, and while it looked like it required a lot of upkeep I had just stayed on top of what was needed.

For a bit over $2000 sounds like a deal. If it has trouble, you're not out much, you can always get $1000 for any car that runs, so for x months you get a car for $1000?

Beaters like that are fun.

DD
  • roadslave1roadslave1 Member Posts: 2
    My service engine soon light went on the other day. Nissan said computer error (sensor) and charged me $100 to reprogram the chip (off warranty).

A week later the light came on again and the switched off after a couple of days. Nissan think it's same problem.

Anyone else experience this?
    The most common cause of the oxygen and ehaust gas sensor tripping the service light is filling the car with gas while the engine is running.

Could this be the cause?

I have a 2000 Maxima SE with 96,xxx miles on it and haven't had any problems with the sensors yet.

I did have a streak of problems like this with my 95 Maxima GLE when my wife was driving it (found out she was leaving the engine run when she gassed up after the second sensor going bad in like 3 weeks.)
  • roadslave1roadslave1 Member Posts: 2
    No, I'm careful to replace cap(til it clicks) every time I gas up. Do people actually gas up with the engine running? Sounds like a Darwin award (no offence to the wife!).

Impressed with your 96k miles. I've got 79k on mine. What are your ownership plans? Are you going to drive it into the ground or trade in while you still have some value?
    I'm guessing I see at least 1 person a week filling with the engine running. Last week I saw one filling with the engine running and standing next to the pump talking on her cell phone at the same time!! (I left quickly and came back later!)

Yes I do tend to drive cars into the ground.

My garage has a 95 GLE that has 185,xxx on it and is showing no signs of slowing down. (Of course the wife only adds 3-4k per year.) I'll drive the 00 SE until it goes to about the same mileage then replace it. My wife will then move up to the 00 and my youngest son will get the 95 (when he's 18 or responsible, which ever comes first).

I drive about 30-35k per year, 90+% on the highway at speeds between 75-85 so the cars tend to last a long time. (That's actually why I started with Maximas, they're one of the cheapest cars to drive over the long haul if you do the regular maintenance.) I just replaced the tires on the 00Se at 92,000 (that's original mileage on the 17" BS potenza's. Put on Michlein Pilot Sport AS and they are at least twice, maybe three times better than the original BS. Expensive but incredible tires.

I've never had any loyalty towards tire manufacturers but I might be leaning towards Michelins.

I also have the original brakes on the 00SE and everytime I have the oil changed and the tires rotated I request they check the pads. I think I might be getting struts next, car seems to be riding a little harsher than usual. Could also be extra air in the tires with the run of 90+ degree days we've been having for the last two weeks.

The sensors do tend to go in series in my experience, 1st oxg, then exhaust, then cam shaft and or crank shaft position sensor.

Good news seems to be that once you replace them, that's it. Might have been a bad batch from the original factory build?
  • 1hosta1hosta Member Posts: 1
    When I take a short trip to the store and then start up the my car,it sounds like a diesl.
    The noise speeds up when you push the gas and slows down.This only happens on small trips.
    I do not think its a piston rod.maybe lifters or cam type of thing.
  • uc94587uc94587 Member Posts: 2
    I've a 96 Maxima, The Engine service light starts on several weeks ago. And I took my car the smoke check, it failed due to code p0510 and p0733, Dealer told me I need a TPS sensor replaced and would charge me about $400(check and replace). This this a fair rate? This this something I have to send to Nissan dealer? Anybody have this problem before?
  • axfalkaxfalk Member Posts: 13
    The outside molding came out on my 1999 Maxima. I thought it was just a matter of glueing it back in, however, I was told by a dealer that it involved a lot more than that. Has anybody ever fixed the outside molding back onto their car and is willing to share their experience?

Thanks.

_ Alex
  • shislr1shislr1 Member Posts: 2
    My Maxima has recently starting to idle at 1500 RPM when I come to a stop. Luckily I have a 5 speed so it isnt a huge deal. Anybody have an idea what might cause that. It happens at most stops now. I told the dealer when I got an oil change and he said it was normal and the computer was doing it for emission purposes. I know thats not true because the car never used to do that so why would it do it now?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I have had my 02 Maxima SE for about a year now (It has 15K on it) and I notice a slight rattle in the steering column when I go over rough bumps. Anyone else with 02 Maxima's notice this problem?
  • jeg72jeg72 Member Posts: 18
    Hello All!

I have a '96 Maxima GLE nearing 90K miles. I have had the car since 23K miles and it has been a great car. I am getting the struts and tires replaced next week and just wanted to fish for comments on the service.

The Tire shop recommends

Toyo Proxess TPT tires and they are going to install Monroe Struts front and back. This will be about 1200 - 1300 dollars so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance!
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    I drove my 1999, and an 02 last week - the 02 was a dealer loaner. On the same afternoon, and with my trusty dial thermometer I drove both of them on the same interstate at 55 and got center dash outlet air tempearture of about 41 degrees on a 90 degree day. These temps seem in line with the service manual.

My old 94 Camry - never had freon added on the same day puts out 36 degree air.

Are the Toyota A/C systems sttronger?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Your old Camry was probably an R-12 system. Your Nissan system (and all newer cars) is R-134A and they aren't quite as crisp. Expect about 38-42 F centre vent temp on Max.