Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    In general I like the looks of the Hyundai GT... in all it seems like a great comprimise for someone who wants all around utility but decidedly does not want a mini-van or SUV; the real question in my mind is how much cargo will it hold? And I don't just mean in terms of cubic feet. I mean what is the tallest item it can hold and the widest and the longest? These are all important questions to me. when I buy my next car it will almost certainly be a hatchback, the question for me is VW Golf/GTI, Ford Focus, Mazda 5 door, Subaru Impreza or Hyundai Elantra GT (Hey anyone notice there is actually getting to be a decent number of choices?) Oh yeah lets not forget the MB... : ).
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    We at our Hyundai dealership,just received our pricing from Hyundai this morning,April 3rd! Here goes:Base-$13,999.00,freight-$495.00,Automatic-$800.00,power sunroof$650.00(package6),power sunroof,ABS/traction control-$1175.00(package 7).Standard features include a/c,leather seating surfaces,leather wrapped steering wheel and gear shift knob,15" spoke alloy wheels/Michelin Tires,cd radio with 6 speakers,cruise,keyless entry with alarm,fog lamps,4 wheel disc brakes,European suspension.purple backlit VDO gauges,and a rear wiper. So,there you have it!!!Fully loaded for under $15,900 MSRP with a 5 speed!
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Very good news, bobcook54. When might we expect dealers to start stocking the GTs here on the east coast?

Sounds like a real winner. My wife will like the leather seating. I'm going to pay another visit to my Hyundai dealer soon!
  • uttutt Member Posts: 16
    I wrote the president of Hyundai Motor America about the release of the GT in my area (Pacific Northwest). Fast and courteous response! His letter stated that they would be in dealerships in late May/ early June. Thanks, Mr. O'Neill. I hope the local dealerships and service centers are as nice.
    I would say that late May/early June time frame should be accurate for the whole country. Bob
    If you are interested in a GT, I would visit your dealer soon because here in the Midwest,we have already been told that there will not be any huge quantities,at least not at first. The initial allocation,last I heard ,was for 300 units,but that has to be divided up among 125 dealers here in the Central Region.
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    Given that these cars are in production, does anyone know of any good pictures that show the car from the side and from the back? The only pictures I have seen are offset off of the front fender, which gives a distorted picture of the car and does not show how they handle the hatch back.

Also, does anyone know where to find the specs. for the car, in particular the interior room. The limited pics I have seen indicate that it is going to be more of sloping hatch like a Saab, which looks nice but will cut back on the storage and space behind the back seat.

I also have a question for the more technically oriented folks. Do the suspension and handling modifications (see post # 88 [bigger anti-roll bars, gas shocks, etc.]) seem like they will make a significant difference?

One final note, any current Elantra owners out there? Happy with your car? This looks like a great deal and just the type of car I am looking for, but I want to be sure.
    I'll be going to the NY International Auto Show next Friday (actually, as one of the Edmund's contest winners) and I will try to dig up as much info as I can about the Elantra GT. Even though the NYIAS is the last big event of its kind for the year there are still a significant number of new products shown. If Hyundai is serious about selling the GT then the NY auto show will be a perfect place to let the US know about it. I will post my findings here (or perhaps even write my "review" on the vehicle).

Note: if you check Hyundai's US web page, you will now see a pic of the Elantra GT with a message that says "launching soon".

With respect to the suspension tweaks in the GT model, my *guess* is they will make a difference but not the significant type favored by enthusiasts. Though the ride will probably be stiffer, it won't be so stiff as to turn Joe & Jane Consumer away from the car. After all, this is not a rally vehicle -- under the skin it's still a passenger car built on a modest platform. I think the real plum in those upgrades are the rear disc brakes. You don't have to be a race driver to appreciate those!

Happy motoring.
  • vellyvelly Member Posts: 8
    Will some cars be coming from over seas with both package 6 and 7 on them (fully loaded). From the Hyundai website the Elantra sedan only allowed me to pick either or when it came to a sunroof and abs. bobcook54, is it possible to get every option and automatic? That is what I want.
    So will it come with the Spoiler.
    And can you really configure a fully loaded one with ABS, sunroof, and automatic?
    Package 6 is just a power sunroof; package 7 is that same sunroof and ABS/traction control.Yes,you can get a totally loaded one with either auto or 5 speed. How easily it will be to get either remains the question. Bob
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, there's lots of Elantra owners out there--including me, and yes, I love my car. You can get lots of feedback from Elantra owners on their cars in the "Hyundai Elantra 2" forum, also in the "Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra" forum.
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    I'm an Elantra owner too (2000), and i personally think the elantra is better than the civic or anything in its class. I've beaten the piss out of all the cars in the elantra's class or even some with some more powerful engines(don't ask me how, i get lucky sometimes). My brother is a racer with a 85 t-bird with a 302 engine and his friends are all racers too with all their cars doin quarter miles faster than 15 sec. They call me the civic killer. I do all this with an AUTO and a stock engine. But this car is so much more than its engine, its roomy inside and everybody likes how it drives and rides. I can't wait for the GT, i'm gonna get that in stick and throw all sorts of nice stuff in their to show all the hyundai haters that hyundai makes the best cars in their class. One more thing, my gf has an Infiniti G20T, that car is nice and all but for the 26K her parents paid for it runs like a 97 elantra and has real bad pedal feel. Great car and refined buy hyundai has the best value when it comes down to it. If you ask any hyundai owner, i think they are pleased with their car.

One question:
    Will their be a limited supply for the GT, i'm going to my dealership this weekened to ask them too and will the price be reduced to like 10K like all the other hyundais where they pretty much take of 5K off the sticker value. I went to one hyundai dealer closer to me but i felt like i was talking to a monkey. I said do you have any information about the elantra gt and he was like "gls" and i was like no GT and he went "G-L-S?" I walked away from taht idiot very quickly. Am i gonna look like an idiot to my Hyundai dealership when i go in there saying "GT"?
    I had a similar Hyundai dealer experience. I was looking at the Elantra sedan at a large Northern NJ dealership and I inquired about the upcmoing Elantra GT. The salesman claimed to have no knowledge of the GT hatch . He claimed to be unaware that Hyundai even built a 5-door hatch; he though I meant the Accent hatchback.

This experience worried me that HMA is not passing the word around to its dealers about the new vehicle. Or did I just get stuck talking to a lunkhead? I also hope the Hyundai dealers are willing to bargain on the GT. For its features, it might be a deal at sticker and a total steal at invoice or less.
    Woops, sorry about that.
    But anyway, i really hope i don't make a fool out of myself taking to a chimp that can only say "gls". Do you think the aftermarket people are gonna finally recognize hyundais, i mean they are pretty quick cars, i pulled of 7 sec today, my brother was counting and we both couldn't believe it.Engine mods would be nice and with the nice suspension and manual transmission its gonna be a hot car.
    I was at the korean part of the hyundai site and i noticed that their 2 liter engine puts out 147 ponies of fun. and we get 140, i know 7 horses doesn't make a great diffrence but i would love to have the korean engine.
  • nkmnkm Member Posts: 1
    In Canada we are also watching with interest the launch of the GT and have had little "official" details yet. One good source is Canadian Driver and they have just posted some more details and pictures. It seems similiar to the US details with the exception of a "stripped" model being available.

Appears we will be getting two models of the GT, one without leather and the toys and another model with leather and a sunroof, etc. With any luck the local dealers will start to have some more information shortly. Still looks like a pretty good deal with the only car being even close to it being the Acura 1.7EL which is unfortunately not available in the US.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/010402-6.htm
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Have you noticed how the Canadian warranty is MUCH less generous than the US warranty?

Nomi
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    Thank you Hyundai owners for the feedback. I test drove a sedan a few days ago and had mixed feelings. The power was good, but the engine was very loud when accelerating. I also thought that the interior did not compare well with the Mazda Protoge ES that I also tested. The Mazda had one of the nicest interiors that I have seen on any car. The Elantra was nice, but not to the level of the Mazda, and had the worst pattern on the seats I have ever seen. The material was actually much nicer than it appeared. I also thought that Mazda handled better than the Elantra. Maybe the modifications made to the Elantra GT will even the score. I hope so, the Elantra GT is about $2k less than the Mazda Protege 5 - door.

On the issue of dealers, I have also found talking about new models to sales people at the dealership less than useful. I think that they are focused on moving the cars on the lot, or making a sale that day, and that they really are not all that interested in helping you on a purchase that may happen two or six months down the road. However, I have gotten good responses to e-mails sent to dealers. If you are looking for info. on new models, this is a good way to get it.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    may be due to the fact that U.S. versions need emmissions equipment to comply. Thus less hp...
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    I, too, have found that the salespeople at dealerships tend to lack any knowledge outside of the cars they've got on the lot. I actually knew more about the Elantra than my salesman did... and he knew nothing about any kind of "hatchback!" :) The thing is, for many of them working at the dealerships, they do it for a job and not necessarily because they're interested in Hyundais like some of us are. I don't blame 'em.

By the way, I really love the interior of the Elantra. I agree that the seat pattern is ugly, but I really like the quality of the dash and controls. At night, I think the greenish hue looks very classy. I'm sure the blue VDO gauges on the hatch will look even better! Keep in mind, by the way, that the U.S. seats will not have that ugly seat pattern. Most of the interior is black, I believe.

JK
    damn us emmissions =), oh wellz i guess intake and turbo will fix that little problem.
    NOw about the dealers, i'm having second thoughts on goin there on saturday. I don't want to drive 20 min. to get a "hatchback?,u mean gls?" i swear i will slap the guy in the back of the head if i hear gls in a questionable way. I live in LI and the only people that know their is gonna be a GT is my dad,my bro and my gf(who i made memorize the specs of the car and wat i'm gonna do to it after i get it). I'm planning to trade in my moms 97 elantra and then give my mom my 2000 elantra that i'm still paying for. Good idea or no?
    Thanks for the link, tocan. I noticed the alloy wheels on the Canadian model appear different than those slated for the US model. That's too bad, because I think the Canadian spec wheels look nicer.

Now is it just me or does the GT bear a more-than-passing resemblance to the forthcoming Kia Rio Wagon?? And with respect to the oddball interior fabrics noted by posters above, maybe Hyundai ought to change its tagline from "Driving is Believing" to "Funky Inside, Funky Outside".

Seriously though, I appreciate Hyundai's unique styling efforts. I wouldn't want my car to look like every other "CiviCorolla" on the road...

Have a nice weekend!
    i am slowly getting very angry at the hyundai site. When will they have the GT put there so i can check out the specs, colors, etc. The car is going to come out within 3 months right? Wats going on, and i can't go to the dealership since most hyundai salesman don't even know wat the Galloper is!! THose guys are real dumn
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    My experience with the 2001 websites for quite a number of manufacturers was that the cars were on the lots and being advertised in the newspapers before they updated the websites to show the new cars. I assume that will be true here too.

Nomi
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    because they were not within the guidelines of our Town Hall Terms of Use. A little controversy is okay..., and we (hosts) don't expect you to agree on everything. However, let's please keep the disagreements on a civil level. Thanks!

To those involved: for your convenience, I've sent you emails, so you will have the opportunity to re-edit your posts if you'd like. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons
    The 2001 New York International Auto Show began yesterday with several automaker press conferences. To see the new products or concept cars that were introduced, go the the auto show website at "www.autoshowny.com" and click the "whats new" tab. You'll be then be able to view photographs of new/concept cars and trucks (check out the Suzuki Sport Wagon!).

With any luck, the site will later today or tomorrow include sneak photos of the elusive Hyundai Elantra GT. I'm not certain when Hyundai's press conference is to be held, but my guess is sometime today (4/12).

I'll be attending the show tomorrow so I'll be sure to post whatever info I can obtain about the vehicle. Hopefully HMA will be forthcoming with details.

Happy motoring!
    I finally saw the Elantra GT coupe yesterday at the New York Auto Show. I have good news and bad news to report.

First, the good news...the car looks a sharp in person as it does in pictures. Many people on the show floor were gushing about it. It does not have the "satellite dish" alloys, but rather a cleaner 5-spoke design (like the Canadian version). A rear wiper appears to be standard. The cargo hold appears to be at least as large as the Kia Spectra.

Now, the bad news...according the to Hyundai marketing people I met at the show (who seemed very reluctant to give me information; they were fond of referring people to the catalogs), the GT will be released between October and December as a 2002 model. The rep I spoke to said "most likely Christmas". Also, the car I saw did NOT have a leather interior. Perhaps this was a prototype. Anyway, the fabric pattern was a muted grey which seemed classier than the "marble" pattern found in the Elantra GLS. Lastly, the GT does indeed have the 4 wheel discs and upgraded tires.

I was unable to climb inside the car since Hyundai elected to display it on a raised platform. All my observations are based on the closest possible looking I could do.

Lijonson, maybe you will have better luck. No one at Hyundai's booth seemed willing or able to discuss the GT, despite me prodding them. If you find out anything new, please post.

The fact that the GT may not be available until XMas will probably mean I won't buy one (my wife and I can't wait that long). However, I was impressed as hell with the other Hyundai vehicles so we will continue to shop that brand. I can say with confidence that the GLS stacks up very well against nearly every other compact car I saw yesterday. The GT should do just as well.
    Darn, ok i'll try my best to kiss butt to get some info on this. I hope it isn't coming out in OCT-DEC. that would make me sad =(. I'll try to get as much info on it aswell. my dad is coming along with me because he wants to see it bad too. Maybe if i bug them enough they'll just give me more info. I'll give u all the info i get from this. Did it have the cool euro gages or did it have the regular 2001 gages?
    Don't know about the gauges; couldn't see indside too well. You'll see what I mean when you get to the show. Show attendees are unable to climb inside the GT. Too bad.

Good luck and enjoy the show. Check out the HCD6 concept car. They ought to build that one. It'd sell like hotcakes. Rumored to contain a V-8 (although the show car doesn't even have a motor in it!).
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    It's too bad about the Hyundai Elantra GT's release date. I finally got tired of waiting, and on a Libertarian bent (no sales tax), I started looking for used 5-door hatchbacks from private buyers. I ended up purchasing a 1994 Saab 900S 5-door from a dealer (not tax free, but less taxes than I would have paid for the Elantra, and I beat the governor's tax increase by a couple of months :)).

The warranty would have been nice, but the extra $5,000 in my wallet is even nicer (not including the $1000 I saved in taxes and registration fees, or the money I save in insurance (the insurance on a 2001 Elantra is more than twice as much as my 1978 Porsche, the Saab is only 33% more)).

I will keep my Elantra GT site up because I like the car, but I am no longer eagerly anticipating its arrival.

Tom
    Tom,

Glad you got a car you wanted at a favorable price. Like you, I also don't want to wait until December for the GT. My wife and I will probably shop the Elantra GLS or Sonata. Funny that you bought a Saab since the GT so closely resembles one! Glad you are keeping your GT site up. You really beat Hyundai to the punch with all your info.

I forgot to include this tidbit in my ealier post, but I got it from one of the Hyundai reps at the NY Auto Show that HMA killed off the Elantra Wagon for 2001 so it wouldn't steal sales from the Santa Fe SUV. I can only guess that HMA keeps putting off the introduction of the GT for the same reason.

The longer HMA waits on the GT's arrival, the more competiton it will face. The Protege 5, Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, Kia Rio Wagon and Focus 5-door are all waiting in the wings.
    I'm gonna check out the auto show this saturday and bug those guys to get all i can out of them. But as for me buying the car, i don't think i'll be getting one either. i can afford the xg300 so might as well get that or the sonota. They really are messing up if they come out with the late arrival. you can already that people are not really paying attention to this car no more since its coming out with or even after the other hatchbacks. Not smart hyundai, but wat can you do, they still got other nice cars.
    And good job tmundar. The saab is my favorite car, i think thats why i liked the elantra gt too. oh well, but i will get all the info i can.
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    I like unique cars. My wife and I own three cars, and none of them have the ignition keyhole in the same place. One is on the left of the steering wheel, one is on the right of the steering wheel, and one is on the center console. :)

Tom
    yea the saab have the middle counsil ones right? that is my favorite thing about a cars interior. i wish hyundai did that, better that i wish every car company did that, then again i guess i wouldn't like it if everybody did do that.
    Release of the Elantra GT..... For those of you that don't know,I am a manager at a Hyundai dealership in Ohio. I posted earlier that the GT was due in late June,according to our regional distribution manager. As a matter of fact, when I talked to him in early March, he had just ordered the first batch of them. I will contact him again and see if something has changed,but as far as I know,the mid to late June time frame is still when the GT is to arrive . I will post here as soon as I hear back from him. Bob
  • dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    As someone who's been scouring the 'net for info on the GT, I've benefited from the interesting threads here. FYI, if you go to the Hyundaiusa.com site and click on "Build Your Own," you'll notice the GT is shown and listed as "Launching Soon." Currently, the link is not active, however.

Also, FYI, I live and work in the Harbor Area of LA and I pass by the Hyundai storage dock every day where the ships off load the cars from Korea. It's one of four or five such facilities in the US. If I/as soon as I see GTs on the lot, I'll post that info here. It's a big lot, but with the right location and equipment, I can see everything that's there.
    I was looking through the NY Auto Show press materials and I noticed Hyundai's own press release says the "...Elantra GT is expected to go on-sale (sic) this summer."

So let's review...

1. Hyundai's NY auto show press relase says Summer, 2001
    2. A decal on the window of the GT at the NY auto show said the car will be avaialble Fall, 2001
    3. The Hyundai reps at the NY auto show said Christmas, 2001

OK, I'm confused. What gives? Hyundai should think about setting a firm release date lest they lose sales to the Protege 5 and Focus ZX5.

If I can find out anything more I'll post details.
  • miked44miked44 Member Posts: 1
    I too have been very intrigued with the new hatch version, but am confused with their marketing ploy. I don't know how they could think that by delaying the Elantra hatch that I would then look at the Santa Fe. I'll have to give more serious consideration to other comparable hatches like the Mazda or new Civic Si, etc.
    thanks to the hyunai people, they confused the heck out of me so i'm just gonna admire this car and buy me a xg300 hehe.
    Just heard back from our regional distribution manager.... The Elantra GT IS in production in Korea right now!!!! It will be a 2001 model and ETA is still mid to late June. Be aware that quantities at first will be limited. Last I heard,the whole Central Region(midwest) will be getting only 300 units in the first batch. That has to be divided up among appox. 130 dealers. Bob
    Bob,

Do you know what the numbers look like for the Northeast?

velly
    velly-I don't have any contacts in the Eastern Region of Hyundai,but I'll try to find out and post here. Bob
  • krafter324krafter324 Member Posts: 7
    I live in Tampa Fl. Any ideas when it will hit the southeast? Thanks, Rick
    If the GT is like the other models,they should hit the whole country about the same time. Bob
    Just heard back from my contacts at Hyundai. Here are the breakdowns on the initial orders: Central-300.....Eastern-640.....Southern....335 and Western-300.So,as I've said,if you have to have one of the first ones, I would visit your favorite Hyundai dealer asap. Bob
  • nobuynissannobuynissan Member Posts: 8
    I checked it out with Brandon Hyundai yesterday- Expecting the dealership to receive them by June 6. I didn't put one on hold. I'd much rather deal with them when it arrives. Any idea of the cargo space? I have to see if I can fit the dog in the back w/the seat folded.

Now, if only they made a Sonata 5-door. That would be the ultimate hatchback.

David
    i just came back from the auto show and i trutly have to tell you if it comes out like it did in the auto show, there is no way i'm getting it, not great in real life to me, it didn't have everything like in the pics and nobody was at the hyundai area to help me.
    Lijonson - sounds like you had the same auto show experience that I did. Did it seem to you that Hyundai was willing to show the car but unwilling to talk about it? I can't figure out why...

Nobuynissan - June 6? That's encouraging. I'm in NJ (E.Coast) so I'll contact a dealer soon about availability. Maybe those Hyundai reps at the auto show didn't know what they were talking about. You should be able to fit your dog in with the seat folded (unless you're going to let him drive). It's my estimate that the GT will have at least as much cargo space as the Kia Spectra.

BTW, if the GT never materializes I think we might just go with the GLS. What the heck, it's a neat car -- I'll just buy a bike/ski rack for the roof!!

CJA
  • pheopheo Member Posts: 10
    Actually, the GT was the first hyundai I saw there. It was on a platform near the xg's and santa fe's. It was not with the other elantras. I assume the one they have is a base model since it doesn't have everything like the guy said a couple of posts ago. It didn't have leather seats and the spoiler, and the interior seemed just like a plain elantra. It did have the purple guages, though. I personally think that the elantra gt and mazda protege 5 will be killed by toyota matrix and pontiac vibe. Cjaccetta, the gt has already been materialized since it's been on sale in Europe and Korea for months.