Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    jim7heaven7's post was right on the money regarding the Matrix. That is what happens when accountants instead of car lovers design cars.

Put it this way, if someone dropped a 200 hp engine into a Toyota Echo, would it become a nice car?

'Nuff said.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    15,600 miles on my 2001.5 GT and no problems to report. Still getting 24.5-25.5 mpg in 95% city driving. Have started to notice a few minor squeaks and rattles as the car settles in. Seating surfaces and interior plastics holding up better than expected considering pretty heavy use.

Have also started to notice more and more GTs on the roads. These cars must be gaining popularity. Have also noticed increasing numbers of GLS models, too. Go Hyundai!

I like the new Matrix/Vibe, in fact the wife and I considered buying one but they weren't available last summer. I think that they will be a big hit (even for Pontiac - you can trust anything built at the Fremont plant). One thing bothers me, though: in all the reviews I've read for the Matrix/Vibe the same list of "hot" "crossover" vehicles keeps popping up - Pro5, Vibe, PT Cruiser and ZX5. What then, may I ask, is the Elantra GT considered to be? An ordinary sedan with a curiously shaped trunk? And what about our pal the Kia Spectra? That car was around before all but the PT cruiser.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    the doors on the matrix are very large looking . i checked one out the other day at a supermarket and talked with the owner . he let me sit in it and check it out . it was nice but i didn't really like it up close . the dash has very deep gauges . i mean way deep . u can't see them it seems like unless u are sitting in the driver seat they are so deep . also the chrome trim on the dash looks alittle tacky in my view .

i have see a few on the road . the funny thing is i have only seen 1 other gt on the road . and have seen a half a dozen matrix's . wierd the matrix hasn't been out half as long and i have seen more of them . and i drive a truck for a living so i am on the road all night , i work nights.

i am glad i got the gt it has been a very nice car . i am up to 30.5 on mpg with about a 60/40 freeway/city driving . i have had no real problems sofar other than the fuel door that was fixed when i had a scratch repaired on the door the day after i bought it . bought the car at night and didn't see the scratch till the day time . about to take it in for 3750 check and one thing i will have looked at is the am reception seems to really suck on mine and the cruise seems to interfer with the am . but other than that it has been a good car so far .
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    Right on the heels of last weeks full page review of the GT in AutoWeek, the GT is one of the four featured vehicles in their "Car Board" feature. This is the second time the GT's been in the Car Board. Maybe in an effort effort to redeem themselves after their (IMHO) somewhat condescending review last week, they almost gushed about it this week.

The Car Board always has a central theme to tie the four featured vehicles together and this time it was hybrids. There was the gas / electric Toyota Prius, the pickup truck / luxury car Lincoln Blackwood, the supercar / luxury car Audi S8 and lastly, our hero, the small car / utility vehicle Hyundai GT.

They talked about the re-emergence of hatchbacks, and how they think they come closer to the concept of a "do-everything" vehicle than sport utilities.

"We especially like the ultra-affordable, super-handy Hyundai Elantra GT. This little sub-$15,000 car more easily swallowed a stack of 10-foot boards - hatch shut - than most of the SUV's. And it was fun to drive. How many SUV's can claim that, 'zoom zoom' notwithstanding?"

That's more like it.
    I was just on the AutoWeek Online site and did not see this article under the Car Board link.

Is there some other way to see it? Their articles only go up to Feb.2?, 2002 ...
    "Hybrid can mean "anything of mixed origin," Webster goes on to say. That idea strikes awfully close to another trend in automobiledon: the emergence of the do-everything car. Sure, sport/utes can CLAIM they have the monopoly on this concept (Ford called it's Excursion "a vehicle capable of doing it all"). But we think the burgeoning small wagon/hatch segment strikes closer to the target, with its mixture of small-car fun and utility-vehicle practicality. We especially like the ultra-affordable, super-handy Hyundai Elantra GT. This little sub-$15,000 car more easily swallowed a stack of 10-foot boards - hatch shut - than most of the SUV's. And it was fun to drive. How many SUV's can claim that, 'zoom zoom' notwithstanding?"

The article was accompanied by a rear 3/4 view of a pewter GT cruising down the road.

It usually takes Autoweek a few days to post things from the dead-tree version onto the website. (Keeps us subscribers subscribing!)
  • meafordmeaford Member Posts: 9
    Could I fit a 90 lb Golden Retriever in the back? Why buy this over the Mazda Pro5?
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Dunno about the dog (though my big upright bass fits in very well - much better than in the
    P5). The GT has a longer area behind the seats, but the P5 has a taller area back there.
    Some off-the-cuff thoughts: a P5 equipped similarly to the GT is more
    expensive, the GT has a much longer warranty, the GT is more conservatively styled (a plus
    in my eyes).

Erik
  • andy632andy632 Member Posts: 5
    Believe it or not, my wife is leary of buying this car because of the standard leather seats. She says, with some validity, that they would be cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Also she worries that they would be hard to take care of and be prone to cracking. Are any current Elantra GT owners finding the above to be a problem?
    Meaford. my dog is much taller than a Golden, and he fits in back ok. See posts 1586-7.

The P5's base price is almost $2k more than the GT's. For your extra cash, you also have to give up the GT's leather seats, side-impact airbags, trip computer, great warranty and more powerful engine.

The P5 does have sharper handling and 16" wheels instead of the GT's 15"ers, but it pays for that with a stiffer, noisier ride. And when it comes time to replace the P5's low-profile tires, you'll pay a lot more.

Just my $.02 worth.

Erik, my Mom's been thinking about a replacement for her '91 Tracer sedan and needs something that can handle her bass. She's been loading her late 1700's vintage instrument in through the passenger door. (Amazing to watch!) How tough is it lifting your bass in through the hatch. Do you need to lower both rear seats, or just one?

...oops. I just checked your profile. Well, next time I'm up north, I'll have her try the bass in mine. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Yeah, I don't have a hatchback yet. I do most of my hauling in our Astro van, but sometimes
    I use my Mazda 323 sedan - you're right about the acrobatics required to fit a bass in thru
    the passenger door.

When I went trying out the new hatchbacks (GT, P5, ZX5, Impreza TS),
    the bass fit in all of them with only one side of the back seats down (yup, I took my bass along
    for the test drives :-)). The bass fit in the GT the best.

Erik
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Hi! I have a '99 Sonata with leather seats, and all I do is take a damp chamois and wipe off the leather occasionally! My car heats up so quickly that I never notice the cold seats, and vice-versa for the air-conditioning in the summer with hot seats. I have the 60-40 split rear seats, so I usually put them them down for my 2 dogs when I take them to the vet--plus I throw down a blanket over the part of the leather-seat that's still exposed. The car still smells like new. There's nothing like the smell of leather!

In case you're wondering why I'm monitoring this board, I'm thinking of either a 5-door hatch or a small suv/crossover that has a sun roof as an option. I've been very satisfied with Hyundai and would not hesitate to recommend it. I also like the traction control (for Midwest winters and also works on rain slick roads) and will insist on it unless I purchase an AWD vehicle.

For the GT's, I like both the silver and the bright red color. The black also looks sharp if I could keep it clean--a bold red pinstriping would look so cool on that car!

Has anyone on this board tried out a Vibe/Matrix? I know it's more expensive. I'd probably look at an AWD in those since there's no traction control in the FWD's--I can't drive a stick anyway. Too uncoordinated.
  • little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    Am saving my pennies to purchase the Elantra GT and am wondering about the dimensions of the sunroof. Is it as small as the Focus sunroof or as large as the Honda sunroof. Has anyone measured their sunroof? Have found reading these messages very informative and am pleased to have access to such a source. One last question: earlier postings wrote of highway MPG averaging 34-36. In your experience is this fairly accurate. I generally drive at 65-70 and am wondering what the "real world" figures have been. Thanks. PS: Please stop shouting from the roof tops what an excellent bargain this car is! When enough people know about the GT, the prices will go higher & higher and I'll have to wait even longer before I can afford to buy.
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Well, as a new Matrix owner, I can say that it is a great vehicle. I have a black one and I think that hides some of the unusual styling...like the always black "D" pillar. We also got the windows tinted and have received many favorable comments. The looks do grow on you. We had also looked at the Pro5. The GT is not a contender for us since the nearest dealer is 45 minutes away. It is optioned well though. I think Hyundai has come farther faster than any other car producer. I must say though that the looks of the GT 5 door kinda remind me of a car my sister used to own....a 1983 Nissan Stanza 5 door.

It's a common theme when you go from one discussion to another...."Yeah, I looked at the **** and I'm so glad and so much happier with the vehicle I bought". Human nature I guess.
    The outside dimension (glass) is 34" x 17" and the interior dimension (headliner) is 27" x 13.5".

It is a very nice size and in proportion to the size of the roof.

I alos drive at 65 - 70 mph and my average mileage is 28.8 mpg according to the trip computer. This is based on mostly 30 mile round trips to work on freeways and feeder roads.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Tup, you brought back memories bringing up the '83 Nissan Stanza. I had the sedan. Great engine - 4 cyl with 8 spark plugs - used 4 all the time, and the other 4 only when you floored it. It was probably too expensive to keep building the engine.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    is further proof of how far ahead of the curve most Japanese manufacturers were in the eighties. What happened? Maybe like the Japanese economy, the auto industry is suffering from old age.
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my previous questions. I think if I can afford it, this will be my primary choice for a new car. I have one other question, though. I know that the Elantra GT has a trip computer, but what info does it show? I've read that it shows miles until empty, trip distance, and trip time, but was wondering if it also gives you a miles per gallon reading like my Mom's Passat. Then, I could rub in the fact that you can buy a car with better gas mileage blue-lit dash, trip computer, and leather (some of her favorite features in the Passat) for alot less. In fact, you can buy two of them for the price she spent! Would it be wrong to gloat?
    Thanks.
    Rich
    rwr1708 asked --

"I know that the Elantra GT has a trip computer, but what info does it show?"

In addition to the stuff you mentioned, it does show avergae fuel consumption. So yes, you can gloat in favour of the GT over Passat, but I would not suggest doing so on the Passat / Volkswagen forum. :-)
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Does the trip computer really show elapsed trip time? If it does, how do I access it? The trip computer on my GT only shows miles per gallon, miles to empty, and has one trip mileage meter.

Am I missing something that others have?
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    If I fill it up and go for a nice long highway cruise at 65-70, I consistently get in the low to mid 30s for mpgs. I hit 37 a few times. With a mix of highway and some stop and go, it drops to around 28-29. Mostly stop and go will lower it to 22-24. These numbers are for the non winterized fuel. My mpgs have dropped about 3-4 when winterized fuel is used. I have an auto with the TCS/ABS and roof. 21,000 miles so far. I also keep 35 psi in my tires.

The trip computer measures mpg, trip mileage, and miles to empty.
    My thanks to WMoses (posting l615) for the information re: sunroof dimensions & MPG as well as the rapid reply. Had occasion to drive north to Suntrup Hyundai in south St. Louis County today and found no GTs on their lot. I did find the following price add-ons to their inventory: pinstripping (?spelling)$190, fabric guard $280, predelivery inspection fee $315, and the grand prize winner for Most Outrageous Price Jacking of Otherwise Reasonably Priced Vehicles: market adjustment fee $1000. By my calculations this adds a total of $1785 which this dealer uses in price haggling or, in my case, uses to cut his own throat when it comes to purchasing my car from his dealership. I had been thinking of buying via e-mail through their fleet manager but if this dealer is so brazen in his pricing then how can I expect reasonable negotiations through fleet sales? I guess he thinks he's the only Hyundai dealer in the St. Louis area or that pricing information is not available to consumers. I am very happy that Edmunds and this particular forum exists.
  • gromit3gromit3 Member Posts: 1
    After comparing the "03 Corolla, Protoge' and GT I went with the GT. Just placed my deposit on an '02 Pewter GT with ABS. Dealer stated he should have it next week.

Any tips for this new owner would be helpful. Looking forward to posting on this board in near future.
    I was treated very well by St. Charles Hyundai. I left their showroom on two occasions trying to get the price down to the last buck or two. Turns out most of my problems were misleading ads on the part of Suntrup, Dean and Ackerman.
    Thank you Csandste (posting #l624) for the name of St. Charles Hyundai. Are there any other St. Louis area Hyundai owners with helpful information? Just an addendum: although Suntrup had no GTs on the lot, I noted the GLS interior is nicely done and in leather would look smashing. Lord, I believe I am in the second stage of the "new car bug" a potentially lethal disease of the wallet...not to mention the ability to walk away from a dealer who smells blood in the water (no offense intended to sharks).
    Just painted my disc brake calipers, and now they look much better than the stock greyish-greenish colour they were before.

Text and photos on my Elantra GT website, Garage page:

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Feel free to copy/paste any of your Elantra pics into our Hatchbacks pictures and Elantra Owner's Photo Gallery discussions. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    My Elantra had a small paint mark on the hood at delivery (hairline scratch), also a small pock mark on roof from paintless hail repair. Thought they'd just buff it out. Instead St. Charles Hyundai gave me a loaner for a week and had their body shop repaint two panels. I didn't even know they were doing this until I picked up the car.

BTW-- I chose the car that had corrected hail damage because there were lots of posts last summer about unfixable (slight) wheel vibration problems. This car had almost none, a couple more on the lot were worse. I bought the $7.99 Wal-Mart rotation and balance package and they got all the wheel skip out the first time. Don't know if I was lucky or not. This particular Wallyworld tends to have a knowledgable tire guy.

Get the $11.99 SuperTech oil change, insisting on SuperTech oil filter instead of Fram. Four thousand mile change interval. Still haven't been back to dealer for any service, so can't vouch for them other than the buying experience which was pretty good, although their staff isn't as knowledgable as, say, a Saturn dealer.

All in all, I love my car but wish I could have waited until they had some 5 speed GT's on the lot. They were in short supply last summer.
  • centarforcentarfor Member Posts: 22
    Does anybody know the 0-60 times on the GT?
    MotorWeek lists the 0-60 time for the manual GT as 8.0 seconds flat.

See the MotorWeek review on the PBS website or link to it from my Elantra GT website under reviews.

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/

Revka --

I posted one of my photos on the Elantra Photo Gallery. Actually, I don't think that the photos of my car in the driveway of my house are nice enough. I will take some more photos in a more picturesque setting one of these days and replace the ones on the website.
    Nice job on the calipers, wmoses. They look great. I'm thinking of doing the same thing on my GT if I can find the time and decide that I can put up with the guff I'll get from my wife. (She thinks I'm already obsessed with my car!)

I don't have a real good eye when it comes to complementary colors. Anyone have any suggestions on what caliper color would look best on a carbon blue GT?

Regarding 0-60 times, Motorweek's 8.0 was the best I've seen published among all of the testing sources. I'm thinking they must be the real experts in wringing the best performance out of a vehicle.

In their most recent show on the Speed Channel, Motorweek used the same methodology to get a 7.6 second 0-60 time out of the new Honda Civic SI. The SI has often been regarded as the standard against which all high-performance compact cars are measured. For the GT to come so close to the SI's time under the same conditions says volumes about the effort that Hyundai put into this car.
    gt_fan, my wife and I both agree that silver would be the best for a Carbon Blue GT. :-)

Hope you have success convincing your wife that it is a good thing. Besides, it actually shows off the wheel a bit more, if you can believe that. By painting the calipers, the whole area inside the wheel arch is dressed.
  • larrystewlarrystew Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this discussion but I have two questions. I'm a graphic designer, so I'm not thoroughly satisfied with the very monochromatic gray interior of the GT. I really like everything else, but before I buy, I want to know two things:

Is there a tasteful aftermarket wood or metal or whatever interior trim panel for the dash? Something to break up all the gray? And...

I would replace the stock CD player with an aftermarket one with a blue and red display to match the instrument lighting. Any suggestions as to installation (what fits?) and also model of CD player?
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Larrystew

The dealers have a wood trim option package for the interior of the GT. It runs $199 to $299 depending where.
    larrystew,

Here's a site I found for aftermarket trim. They've got real or simulated wood and a decent selection of colors in the carbon fiber look. I've been thinking about doing this myself.

www.wooddash.com/item/HYUNDAI_Dash_Kits_ELANTRA_2001_UP
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I picked up some leather cleaner/conditioner for the leather interior. My question (of course without looking very hard) are the seat sides leather or just the seating area (tops). I figured the cleaner would be wasted on the sides! My last car with leather (Oldsmobile) was full leather, but I know most don't do that any more.... at least in this price range.
    Thanks
    The US-spec Elantra GT has leather on --

-- seating surfaces (seat cushion tops, seatback fronts)
    -- shift knob
    -- steering wheel
    -- door panel inserts

In other words, any surfact that the body touches. Any other leather-looking material is man-made (vinyl?).

You are right, jofficer -- many other manufacturers have adopted this approach in an effort to keep costs down. I believe that one of the first might have been the Mercedes Benz C-class.
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    Am I the only one questioning this? The dealer put to much in and he's not even sure if they put 4.2 or 4.5 quarts in. The second time I drained it my self and took out about 4.0 quarts, left the filter on and put in 3.0 quarts and checked it, the dipstick read full. The dealer did not understand my question but let me check my dipstick with others on the lot to compare and said no one else was asking this question. He said I could call the 800 number for customer service to see if others have reported this kind of question but when I did I was told they don't keep track and I should see the dealer. I guess I'm looking to see if there are any more do-it-your-self-ers out there experiencing this same thing.
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    to the list of publications that have clocked a sticked shift Elantra under 9 secs (8.4)

I am surprised that they see little difference between the rides of the GLS and the GT. Also, even though I do not have ABS brakes it is difficult to lock the brakes on my car. And there is almost no perceptible dive during hard stops.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20843.htm#ratings

Thanks for bringing the acceleration time to our attention, bri70. I am not surprised.

As for the rest of the review -- heheheh ... Consumer XXXXX have never been a lover of any Hyundai and it shows in the review. They had to strain themselves to give it 6, 7 for fuel economy, but in areas like acceleration the GT manual only got a 5. As you mentioned, they managed to not notice any difference in suspension between GLS and GT and also to lock up ABS and to give the seats 4's for comfort. I could go on and on. They are ridiculous, is all I can say.

Final point to note. The Elantra review lists Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Mazda Protege, and Nissan Sentra as alternatives ("Also Consider"). When you check the review of these cars, there is no similar mention of Hyundai. IOW, if looking at the Elantra, consider the alternatives. If looking at any of the alternatives, don't consider Hyundai. Biased you think?
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    bri70

I read the consumers guide review and also disagree with their findings on the brakes. I havent locked my brakes yet either (non-abs car) . I did see the Motorweek test of the GT (have it on tape) and at the end of their 60mph stop the fronts did lock for a second. That also was a non-abs car. Motorweek did say "this is the best stopping Hyundai weve tested".

" However, cars from this South Korean automaker haven't earned a reputation for long-term reliability, and their resale values are low."

Thats a Consumers Guide quote. It seems the media is determined to keep Hyundai in that low reliability category. I do agree with the resale value, but thats not why I buy cars.
  • mrmagoo55mrmagoo55 Member Posts: 16
    Changed the oil, poured old oil into containers and it came to approx
    3.5 quarts (just slightly more). Although not scientific, it
    seems to be the only way to see what's what.
    I don't put much stock in what the dealer service says.
    If anyone has further input, please post...this is probably more important
    than colors, 0-60 and Consumer's Report (no offense).
    Keep the info flowing..
    There was a flurry of discussion about the correct amount of oil to use a few weeks ago in this forum. What it eventually boiled down to is that the manual says 4.5 quarts, but the dipstick says full at 3.5. The dealers all seem to put in 4-4.5, resulting in the dipstick indicating an over filled condition. (This happened to me too.) So is the manual wrong, or do all of the Elantras come with defective dipsticks? I haven't heard a definitive answer on the issue, but when I do my first home oil change this weekend , I'm going with the dipstick.

Regarding the Consumer Guide review, IMHO they've got some very thick Honda-colored glasses on. The numbers all indicate that the Elantra is a bigger, more powerful car with more features for less money. If all of the cars logos were covered up so that they didn't know which car they were driving, I'd bet the Elantra would suddenly be one of their favorites.

I especially like the Competitors section in the Sentra review where they do list a Hyundai as an option - the Accent! It's like they managed to forget that the Elantra even exists.

I remember seeing an ad or review a while back where Hyundai got a bunch of people to drive the Elantra back-to-back with either the Corolla or Civic (can't remember which). All brands and logos were masked. The Elantra wiped the floor with the competion, something like 3 to 1. I'd sure like to see that test again. Anyone know where I could find it?
  • dharmasutradharmasutra Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me what I need to know before I go out and buy an aftermarket shift knob for my soon-to-be GT? I love nearly everything about the car, but I need a more rugged looking and feeling shift knob than the one it comes with. I found a great site with dozens to choose from (www.imotorgear.com), but I don't know if all shift knobs are interchangeable. Any advice?
  • yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    Right on! 3.5 quarts it is. Funny how everybody talks about all kinds of stuff regarding their GT, yet it would seem that the correct amount of oil in your engine would be critical! Finally it seems the word is getting out. Check the 3.5quart thread, I got it going ages ago(it seems). blackandblue, mrmagoo55, gt fan, wmoses ...y'all spread the word "if you don't know how much oil your GT uses,ya don't know shxt about your car!"
    I haven't had my car in for it first oil change yet, but I'm sure going to ask how much they put in (and check)!
    Everything I've read says 4.2-4.5 qts (even on hyundai's site). I would have to believe the people who built the engine would know even if the dipstick reads incorrect. One piece of strap metal could have been cut/marked wrong, but I doubt the oil pan was made to small. If after adding 4.2 qts there are no strange sounds or drops in performance I'd stay with the 4.2 and make a new mark on the stick. Running low on oil is much worse then having a little more!
    Here's an idea... If your oil level is reading to high/low try this. Go to a dealer and use a stick from another GT (and GLS) in your car. Make sure they read correctly in the donor car. Who knows maybe Hyundai made a bad batch of dip-sticks. Or maybe they used one from a Tiburion and it's different (slightly). 3.5 qts for a 2.0L dual overhead cam engine seems way to low....Just an idea.
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    I find it disgusting that this is even a question. The GT has been out in America for nearly 9 months and Hyundai USA can not give one a straight answer over the phone? This "check with your dealer" is BS.

What is more important to an engine's health than the correct amount of oil? We should not have to be guessing or checking with another cars dipstick etc. If the correct amount is 3.5 qts. then a letter should have been sent out to owners stating so.

Just my humble opinion.
  • yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    I agree. However,I trust my instincts.I've talked with several people in regards to oil amounts in a 2.0 liter engine and 3.5 quarts was reasonable.You're right though bri70, Hyundai should clear this up(you'd think). I've done 4 oil changes already with 3.5 quarts every 5,000 miles...BEFORE the change the dipstick oil level is right on the fill-line(so I've lost no oil)and very clean. The dipstick fill-line is mis-measured on the GT?? I won't even go there. Face it, Hyundai has stalled on this and most driver/owners have'nt a clue(THAT's what scares me).