Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• not40yetnot40yet Member Posts: 10
    Ummmm, here we go again with the power issue, performance adequacy and all that...

bill124: I'm happy that the MPV still meets your expectations after owning it for a while. Really. As to the representativeness of a given sample, that depends on what question you're trying to answer.

If the question is "How does the MPV compare to other vehicles in its class ?" then objective measures such as 0-60 times are going to be most informative. By these measures, the MPV is underpowered, period. The average 0-60 time for mini-vans is about 10 seconds give or take a half second or so - the MPV is therefore about 20-25% slower than the average for the class, which most people are going to find significant. Sorry. This is irrespective of whatever personal bias the auto reviewers may or may not have.

If the question is, "Does the MPV meet my needs?" - well, only you can be the judge of that. No need to get defensive. Ultimately day to day performance is what matters most, I wholeheartedly agree, but everyone is going to have a personal sense of what's adequate for them, and everyone's going to be "right" from their personal perspective. So let's not argue about it.

Finally, if the question is, "Will most people find the performance acceptable ?" the only representative sample capable of answering that question must include both people who find it acceptable and people who don't. I believe this is what kkcymru was referring to, and if so, he's right. Sorry.

gagp: I believe you've missed the point - there was no model year 1999. Quoting sales of my1998 vans made in calendar year 1999 (there are precious few of them for obvious reasons) compared to my2000 sales is, quite frankly, misleading, because the artificially low sales numbers for 1999 will inflate the growth figure for 2000. Sorry. You could compare my1998 figures with my2000 figures if you're so inclined. I haven't checked, but my guess is sales are up significantly on that basis.

The question that Mazda is probably asking itself is "What would sales have been if we'd gone with the 3.0 liter engine?" Based on all the negative feedback that customer service has been getting (I called and asked, the engine is a deal killer for many potential buyers), they're convinced that a change would be good for them, and it's in the works.

OK. So now that I've invited flaming responses, may I apologize for ruffling any feathers in advance and politely request that we get back to being nice to each other ?
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I've donned my Nomex racing suit, hood and long Nomex underwear now, after reading this recent exhanges on this thread.

I'll go back to my recent lurking, albet with beter flame-retardant now.

;-)

--Javadoc
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    My posting never said the MPV was suitable for the needs of everyone, it addresses every day needs. As to that point, the MPV owners/lessees are undeniably qualified to address that since they are only ones who drive it every day. I would probably include renters who rent for an extended period. It goes beyond "my needs". Yes, you and only you know "your" needs but if you don't own an MPV you are not in any position to tell anyone whether it is suitable for everyday driving, which is what I addressed.

My posting was not, and I don't think this is, at all about performance. No one that I know has bought a minivan, ANY MINIVAN, for performance. It is about a minivan that is functional, safe, pleasing to the eye and pleasant to drive.
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    I don't think anyone would question whether the daily drivers of the MPV are qualified to judge whether it meets their daily needs, but they obviously make up a skewed sample of potential buyers. It's a self selection process. Anyone who finds the engine totally unacceptable is not going to buy one.
    I also dispute the notion that no one buys any minivan for performance. Everyone expects performance, the only question is what level of performance. Would you buy a minivan with a top speed of 55 and took 20 seconds to get there, or one that only got 8 miles per gallon. Probably not unless it was very cheap. Many people pay extra money in some lines of minivans to get a bigger engine. They do that to get BETTER PERFORMANCE. The MPVs performance may be fine for many, but there are clearly others would like more for their everyday driving.
    The engine power is not the only consideration for me, or I could have bought a competing brand already. I like the size and handling of the MPV. I like the styling. I like the functioning windows in the door. I like the fold down third seat. I think I might even be satisfied with the low power if it came as a trade-off for good mileage. If my current car gives out before the MPV gets a better engine (a good possibility) I'll probably buy an MPV anyway. But if I do I'll be settling for the performance rather than being happy with the performance. When I spend $25,000 or so on a car, I'd prefer to be doing so enthusiastically.
  • hellboyhellboy Member Posts: 2
    The owners of the MPV can own any minivan. The price is comparable. We are not defensive but rather informative. I can live with the 2.5 DOHC, what I cant live with is side door windows that dont roll down and a back seat that has to be removed. Just where do you put the winstar or caravans back seat when you are out and find a large item you wish to take home with you? And what do you tell the passenger in the back seat when he ask if he can roll down a window? In regards to mpg my MPV gets 18mpg in town and 25mpg on the highway(a little prolong goes a long way). All I know is when I test drove the winstar I really like its specs on paper but it rode like a VAN and its engine noise was loud and it had the feeling of being on a ship with all of its mushing rocking while driving. I guess all minivans have some faults. That is why I picked the MPV it had the least of them. Check the boards on the caravan and the winstar. They have hundreds of posts with complaints, serious issues. Read the MPV boards and we love them or quibble that we would love it more with a little bigger engine. The honda odessy is also great if you can get one. Customer satisfaction is very important when considering a vehicle. Reviewers love the caravan and the winstar but neglect to mention the standard transmission and head gasket problems.
  • not40yetnot40yet Member Posts: 10
    kkcymru: well said...I'm in much the same position, and have arrived at many of the same conclusions, with the exception that my current vehicle is still pretty reliable.

In my particular case, we live at altitude, where engine output (on non-turbo cars) is reduced about 15%, and tend to "play" at altitudes where the loss is more like 25% or more. On top of that, I have hankering for a small pop-top tent trailer that I wish to tow into the mountains with an MPV.

I'm not looking to drag race my mini-van, but clearly I have needs that the current engine will NOT meet. And no, I'd really not rather have a truck...

So I'll wait until Mazda addresses the engine issue, because it is an issue for me.
  • edward22edward22 Member Posts: 11
    I would like to see more info on gas mileage, and also actual price paid. Not $ over or under invoice.
    Tha SC dealer advertises DX with dual air for 19,990.
    I think Atlanta dealers do also.
    Anyne bought one at that price? PLus SC sales tax of $300 of course.
  • gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    Since some of us could not take an info for what it is: INFO, I decided to add some precision regarding my last post just to make it clearer:

MPV sales, in 2000, have gone up by 321 % compared
    to 1999 (1998 model), despite the "bad press" regarding its engine...

Silver (Now, does that make it clear enough ?) Driver
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I've bought MPV in August this year after I had been on different boards studying all possible choices. I can say I was aware of all (or, at least, most) of cons and pros of the vehicle. When I finally decided to buy I didn't have a single doubt as to what I want to buy and was very very happy when I finally get into my MPV. It's my first car ever so I cannot really compare how it handles relatively to other makes/models but what I really feel is that I'm very pleased of what I have.

As to engine power... Many people have already commented on it. The HP is OK. But it needs some torque for sure. Passing a vehicle on a 2 lane country road at 80-100 km/h is a little nervous with approaching traffic. I try not to do this maneuvre at all but one I had to do (I had to crawl behind a truck on a road and had only one chance to pass with a good straight stretch of road - MPV had to downshift two gears and rev almost to 6000 rpm to take over and there was a momonent I though I couldn't make it...). But the van has no problem cruising at 150 km/h with 6 adults inside. It certainly could go faster but the speed limit is only 100 km/h, right? :-)

There's two thing missing in the interior design: a trash can or some sort of container to trow away little things such as fast food receipts, etc. The second one is a compartment to put a paper towel/facial tissue box. Glove box isn't a good alternative... Did you notice how many cars are there with tissue boxes hanging around the dashboards and foalling to the floor at each traffic light? Why don't automakers create some sort of paper tissue dispenser in a dashboard/door/seat/wherever?
  • tim104tim104 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a green LX with 4 season package, 3-in-1 audio, security package, luggage rack for 21801. That was invoice price in July.

Go to the Edmunds or Cars.com websites and brush up on invoice price for all the option packages. You should learn this. The reason is I was offered invoice price over the phone, but when I received an itemized quote via fax it included the delivery charge of $480. The salesman insisted destination charge is part of the invoice and I insisted it wasn't. He dropped the quote to the true invoice price. Since there was a $1000 rebate to the dealer at the time they sold it to me for $520 over their cost.

I hope this is helpful.
  • mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    For the person comparing '96 voyager and MPV.
    We had a 1995 (4 cyl) Caravan that we traded for the MPV and the MPV has more power than the Caravan did. It's MUCH more maneuverable. And so far, has not had expensive, extensive repairs, as our Caravan did with alarming regularity. We've not yet taken it on a long trip, but my sense is that packing will not be a problem. Because of the cargo well, it holds more behind the third seat than the Caravan did. We have 2 kids and the minivan is perfect for us. Occasionally one or both of them will bring a friend along and everyone is comfortable. We now have just under 7K miles and we get between 17.5 and 19 mpg in town. On the road, we've gotten up to 24. But we tend not to go way over the speed limit. Hope that is somewhat helpful.
  • lawson4lawson4 Member Posts: 2
    howdy all,
    First off, I love this forum, My wife and I have been following for a while. From my experiecne, I like the sienna, nice and smooth (read like a toyota). Honda (neighbor has), is great but is extra wait and price worth the price. Now for the MPV. I love this vehicle for these reasons, I'm in the military, so I move a lot. And I'm going to Bosnia this Spring to defend our countries beliefs and miss my baby's birth. Long story short, I feel the MPV has decent power (Although the 2001 up grade will nice), the space one might need for one to two kids is great, three a little cramped. It's all on your needs. I'm simply glad to be a able to partake in these sites while I fly security missions over Bosnia so that My wife and new born, and everyone else are a "okay"
  • dlncmaydlncmay Member Posts: 27
    Have been away for awhile. Have not really checked MPV conferences since the start of the Olympics, then work got busy, then went to Florida for a week, then work got busier, etc, etc. Seems like there has been a fair amount of "discussion" regarding engine power. We have owned our MPV LX since mid May and have put 10,000 miles on it. We (wife, 2 kids, and me)make lots of weekender trips (300 to 350 mile round trips) as well as making some biggie trips (1200 to 2400 mile round trips). Here are some comments:

1. We love the MPV, but it ain't perfect.
    2. Great features, styling, and build quality.
    3. Mediocre engine performance and transmission.
    4. City gas mileage is poor. No problems with 23 or 24 mpg on the highway, but I have gotten as low as 13 mpg in the city a time or two and several tanks at 15 to 17 mpg.
    5. Great interstate cruiser and city runabout in terms of handling.
    6. 2 lane highway passing under certain conditions can be little anxiety provoking.
    7. Did I mention, we loved our MPV, but I can see where some would want more power or room, but you can't beat the price.

OK, I'll shut up.

Take care,

DLNCMay
  • joseph2000joseph2000 Member Posts: 2
    Looked at the tribute and drove the Escape. I felt that the engine in these vehicles would be ideal for the MPV. Will Mazda upgrade the MPV 6 cyl anytime soon?
  • linairelinaire Member Posts: 1
    I like the MPV features, but I'm concerned about the horsepower. Will it take Monarch Pass in Colorado in snow and ice loaded down with 4 people and all their junk? How is it on long trips? Also, is it noisy because of the tumble under seat well?
    If I do decide to get one--the dealer has several leftover 2000s...any advice on features and price? I'm probably looking at an ES or LX.
    Thanks!
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    Seems like most contributors to this topic think
    the power is OK. I have driven quite a few and I would say the top end HP is perfectly adequate (ater all it is OHC and 4 valves per cylinder) but
    if any thing it may be a little lacking in torque.
    See the most recent Car & Driver comparo.

The 3.0 from the Tribute is supposed to available somewhere between April 2001 and September 2001. Personally, I am waiting patiently for the 3.0 because I am absolutely sold on the van but I want it all.
  • bharrellbharrell Member Posts: 21
    I have an MPV LX with 15" wheels. My Yokahoma tires are shot at 16,000 miles. Does anyone have any advice or suugestions as to the type of tire I should purchase to replace these? We have never owned a van before, and aren't really sure what type tire to look at.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have used Michelin LTX M/S tires in a Trooper and they were great. Very comfortable, quiet, great treadwear and trouble-free. When my MPV needs tires (I have the 16" Dunlops w/15,000 mi and they are still ok) I will definetely use Michelins. You may pay more, but they are worth it.
  • elvis_hooelvis_hoo Member Posts: 12
    I do not find the MPV to be noisy at all except under certain conditions (e.g. certain road surfaces or full-throttle acceleration). In the recent Car & Driver comparison, they commented the MPV is noisy, but I have not found that to be the case. It's easy to hold a conversation at 70 mph on a smooth road, so I don't know what more to ask for.

Interestingly, although the Odyssey has lower measured noise level than the MPV, I've read a number of reviews (notably Edmunds and C&D) that have complained about the nature of the noise in the Ody: lots of headache-inducing road rumble.

It's interesting that you are wondering whether or not the rear well would make the MPV noisier than otherwise. I remember reading several months ago that DaimlerChrysler was saying that they did not implement this feature for that specific reason. Personally, I think that DC simply missed the boat on this one and is just using a lame excuse for leaving out the folding rear seat. I use this feature a LOT, so I can't imagine having to put up with removing a heavy rear seat, and I would be surprised if DC didn't incorporate it soon. They'll probably say that they've "solved" the nonexistent noise problem.
  • elvis_hooelvis_hoo Member Posts: 12
    Since everybody else is weighing in with their opinions on the MPV's power, I thought I'd throw in my own $.02. In general, the power is fine. The only time I've found it to be slightly inadequate is while accelerating uphill (i.e. on-ramps) on a hot day with the A/C running. That constitutes less than 1% of our driving, so I can live with that, especially considering how many thousands of dollars I saved over the competition.

Interestingly, while the engine seems more powerful now that it's broken in, the mileage has not gotten any better. We've gotten as low as 15 mpg on a tank (all city driving in very hot weather), so it's disappointing the small engine isn't paying any dividends in fuel economy.

BTW, Those of you waiting for the 3.0 should not expect to pay quite the bargain rates that we 2.5 owners have, so keep that in mind while considering whether or not to wait.

In terms of roominess, I've found the MPV to be the perfect size for my family of four (wife, toddler, and baby). With the rear seat folded, you can put an enormous amount of stuff in it, and you can actually put a lot behind the rear seat because of the deep well. For comparison's sake, the space behind the rear seat is bigger than the trunks of a Taurus, Maxima, or Camry. For most of our road trips, we've left the rear seat up so that one of us can sit back there to tend to the periodic needs of our kids. We seat-belt the cooler on one side of the rear seat and there's still plenty of room in the rear well for all of our luggage.

The downside is that all of the seats behind the front row are fairly small and don't have much leg room, so you probably don't want to regularly haul around a bunch of teenagers or adults on any long trips. I recently had to ride in the third row on a short trip, and I would not recommend it for anyone over the age of 12. I'm only 5'10", and I had almost no leg room. Fortunately, since we only have two kids who are very young, we won't outgrow the MPV for a long time, but it's something to consider if you have more than two older kids.

The biggest benefit of the smallish interior (compared to other minivans) is the great maneuverability. I can easily parallel park the MPV, which I probably would not attempt in a full-sized minivan (hmm, that's an oxymoron). Also, we have a narrow driveway, but I can actually park the MPV next to my Sentra due to the narrowness of both vehicles.
  • 4fun4fun Member Posts: 9
    Because of the low resale, the MPV will likely costly more than the Odyssey if traded in between 3 to 5 years. Low initial cost only translates of low cost of ownership if the vehicle can maintain the interest of its owner for more than 10 years, especially with the 3.0L lurking about. Otherwise, we find the MPV quite decent compared to our Odyssey.
  • stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    Don't forget, cost of ownership also includes cost of post-warranty work. If you take a look at the amount of defects happening in the Ody Problems forum you can see that the Ody, in all liklihood, isn't going to get any cheaper to own.

But this is something best left to the Ody vs. MPV forum, which is the appropriate place to show how superior the MPV is and how much smarter we all were for buying one :)

BTW, after 6+ months, I still love my MPV, and find that it deals with the highway speeds up here just find (it loves 135 kph).

All in all, a great van with a good engine. Yes, it could be more powerful, but in styling, agile handling (for a minivan), quality of sound system, quality of finish, it has the Ody beat.
    Most Ody problems were fixed in by 2000 models. There on, we should expect similar reliability as the Accords. However, it seems that the Japan-built MPV might be more reliable than the Ody, with the exception of the overworked Ford engine. Again, both vehicles are fine enough for us. Therefore we are more concerned with cost, being our second vehicle. Only if the MPV can give us 25mpg in the city, it wouldn't be a tough choice. Hybrids are coming ...
    The Ford Duratec has a very good track record of being driven hard in the Contour/Mystique Fords. Keep the oil lcean and they won't give you a problem. BTW, My "new" second car is a '98 Mystique with the same engine as the MPV has - it flies.

High rev's don't kill a well built engine;1 drive any Euro sedan (non-diesel)to prove that.

The cost of gas may be a constraint to some people, but really it should be just an annoyance to those who can plunk down new van prices for Honda, Mazda or Toyota vehicles - none of them are cheap.
  • shelby12shelby12 Member Posts: 25
    and I thought of all the things being posted from adequate HP to convenience and comfort, and after much thought I bought a 2000 LX with 4 seasons, rear air, touring package (to get the rain...uh I mean moon roof I had to, and I also wanted the security package), for $500 over invoice(Edmunds, Autobytel posted), before the $1000 rebate. I realize that this seems high, but in the Portland, Oregon area we have to pay something (besides other taxes) to make up for the lack of sales tax. So all things considered I think that for $23,600 (two years of licensing included)off the lot, I did ok.
    I have been driving a 4.3L V-6 Chevy truck so "get up and go" means a lot to me. The MPV power was initially a concern to me, but since I have been driving it I have found that the power is fine. I agree that it sounds like a sewing machine under a heavy pedal but with the exceptional sound system the problem is solved. The shifting under strained acceleration is not smooth like my truck - a minor annoyance that I traded for the smooth ride. I have carried my sister, her husband, and two teenagers with no freeway or hill acceleration problem.
    Bottom line is, as stated before...you get what you pay for and you pay what you think is fair. My Chevy got knocked in the consumer reports, but at 225,000 miles and still going strong with relatively minor problems, I should be doing a commercial, like the old Toyota ones. I plan on owning my MPV as long as I have owned my truck. And I hope that with proper maintenance, it will perform just as well.
    Pay attention to these posts ... we are the people who are putting these vehicles to real tests. If you rely on Consumer Reports, as I also did, you will find that the 1999 issue listed the Sienna and Ho as "Best Buys", and the 2000 issue lists the MPV as "Promising". I think that the 5-6K I saved buying a comparably equipped MPV was worth it.

FOR "CINKA1" - I laughed going over the Freemont Bridge in Portland last week when a total stranger driving a new white MPV waved at me like we were old friends!!! Maybe we are all a little crazy??? After all......
    ( The best things in life, are not "things" )
  • julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    The difference between the price of the 2 vehicles will only get smaller as time goes on, and no you don't have to own it for 10 years or more to notice the difference. In my case the MPV cost $8000 less than the ODY and it came with more amenities. So, even if it depreciated much faster than the ODY, it will still have saved me money. In terms of reliability, we won't really know, but I bet they are about the same. As far as gas expenses, they have exactly the same gas mileage in the city, both 18, while ODY saves a little on the freeway (25 vs. 23), so unless you are on the freeway a lot, and choose to put regular gas in the ODY instead of the recommended 91 octane (for more power), the difference in gas expense is negligible. So, the only significant difference is depreciation. Lets say, just for kick that the MPV cost 25000 + tax + licensing and in my case free 3 year financing, roughly 27000. The ODY cost 27000 + tax + licensing + interest, rougly 35,000. 3 years from now, lets say the ODY depreciates 30% (I think this number is very close to reality based on residual values I have seen on leased cars), and lets say MPV dpreciates 50% (this is very high). So the MPV should be worth 12,500 in 3 years, while the ODY will be worth 15,900, a difference of 3,400 in 3 years for a saving of 8,000 today. I think those are good numbers for the MPV owner. Of course if you kept both vans for 10 years or more, there is probably 1,000 or less difference in the long term, so the math points to MPV (at least in my case with a good price and 0 interest financing).
    70% of $27000 is $18900. A difference of $6400 according to your calculation. Your saving is basically the loan interest. I have only seen either the $1000 rebate or zero-interest on 24-month finance on the MPV. It would be nice if one can get both. 3-year zero interest is even better.

I based my comparison on the MPV @ $1K below invoice(rebate) and my Ody @ $1K below MSRP. The initial difference in price is only about $2K, yet the resale difference can be greater than $5K. It is possible that the Ody EX cost of ownership will be less than that of the MPV LX.

A year from now, we should have the Edmund TMV of the MPV for a more accurate comparison.
    Well, if you can get the Ody for 1000 below MSRP, post over in the Honda Odyssey-Prices Paid VI forum. They do a little dance when someone (rarely) manages to get it for 500 below MSRP.

Sorry, but Julyar's numbers reflect real-world buying conditions. The MVP is less expensive both immediatly and over time than the Ody. But we all can understand why someone who bought an Ody would feel the need to dispute it.
    We have considered buying the MPV as our second minivan, but we can wait a year to see its resale value. I, myself actually prefer the MPV. If the MPV turns out a better deal, then y'all have made a brave choice, whereas the Ody seems to be the safe choice according to the sale volume.
    Well, that's great that you like the MPV.

Most of us who bought it did so because it's the best minivan for many reasons. Style, finish, convenience, features, etc all contributed to the final decision. As a plus, it has the best sound system out there for any minivan. Also, it's nice not to be driving the same vehicle as everyone else. We know that there are folks out there who like the Ody, and that's OK also, it just isn't for everyone.

The MPV engine is just fine for city and hiway driving. It does not have overwhelming power but that is what my car is for. The price was OK, but there were (much) cheaper vehicles out there. There were also more expensive ones. Personally, I wasn't that price concious that it was a factor. Most of us believe that the vehicle will hold it's value well. It certainly holds its fun factor; I love the sound system, the ride, and the comfort even after 6 months.

In general, if cost and market acceptance (sales volume) were the driving issues in a person's decision to buy a minivan, I would expect them to be driving a Caravan :)
  • dleung1dleung1 Member Posts: 10
    Any one here finding any good deals on
    leases ?
  • cinka1cinka1 Member Posts: 30
    Bought a 2000 ES with 4 season, 6 cd, moonroof for Invoice - 1,000 rebate - 400 grad rebate. Financed with OSU federal credit union for 8.75% for 72 months. Feel pretty good about the deal, but terrible about the trade. We had the much discussed (in warranty and trouble van topics)'95 Windstar that started having major transmission problems so rather than wait for the bigger engine (that we really wanted to wait on) we traded the thorn for a rose.

Shelby12 - our van is WHITE and we were visiting my brother in Portland over the weekend with the new van - it was me!!! what a crazy world.

Since I was one of those that insisted on waiting for the 3.0L, I will try to post our findings on the 2.5L engine as we drive more.
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    Congrats on your new purchase. Reading the posts fairly frequently, I know that you were holding out for the 3.0L. The 2.5L will not disappoint you, it seems to get smoother and accelerate better as it ages. My wife commented on yesterday while merging onto the freeway, "This van gets up pretty good, doesn't it?" Of course I responded with approval.

One thing I have noticed regarding acceleration from a standing start. It seems as if the engine control module sometimes takes longer to adjust the various engine parameters for maximum hp and torque. For example, when accelerating from a standing start, sometimes I get instantaneous power (no lag), othertimes there is a brief lag (less power) and then the power I expect. I'm still learning how to apply the throttle to get what I want (i.e. 3/4 throttle may provide faster acceleration than full throttle). Has anyone else noticed this?

The van is absolutely a joy to drive. Keep us posted on your experiences with the new van.

Regards,
    JB
  • sandysuesandysue Member Posts: 4
    Yes, Javadoc, it's the same console. I absolutely love it. I keep the sliding top closed but not locked to keep dirt from getting on CD's and stuff in the main compartment. Some people have complained it doesn't fit. I don't know why not. You have to slide the console in from the rear and it's tight, but that's good, because it doesn't slide when you don't want it to. Hope she likes it!
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Those of you discussing prices - you may not want to read this one......!
    My wife "won" a 2001 MPV two weeks ago in a radio/mall contest. Too long to explain here. We had just purchased a 2000 Sienna three weeks ago! I was driving a 10 year Honda Accord but purchasing another auto was out of financial reality so I was regulated to drive the Accord another 5 years until the Toyota got paid off. I think I should start going back to church after this.
    The DX, dual A/C, power windows,locks, alloy wheels, V6, DOHC, full floor mats, and classic red, is a blast to drive. I really can't tell the power difference between the MPV and the Sienna but then I drive freeways 90% of the time. The MPV gives you more road feel which is what I like - the Sienna feels like it's floating. I feel the Sienna is a little more of a "classy" type van but Mazda gets you there while having fun at the same time. The van itself seems to be put together nicely - no body gaps, fairly quiet, overhead compartments for gargage door opener, sunglass storage and, of course, the continuation of the cup holders war. The interior (beige) I think compares favorably to all the other vans I've been in.
    My wife asked if I wanted the Sienna yesterday - no way. I like "my" MPV. I'm going to have to keep an eye on her....
    Looks like your number was up, good for you! Wish we were all that lucky.

Good to read your back-to-back comparo for the Sienna and the MPV; owning both. For all of you power concerned folks... ;-P

Enjoy your MPV, and welcome.

--javadoc
    What gives? Who's hiding my responses? They're chuck full of MPV content...

--java
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    Check over in West Palm Beach. They just may have your missing posts somewhere.... :)
  • sabrina4sabrina4 Member Posts: 3
    My postings have also disappeared. The numbers of these postings were between 601 and 605 and they are gone. The response from another reader is missing too.

I also looked in the maintenance section under vibration and tires and the postings are not there either.

What gives?
    you got me ROFLMAFAO! Thx, needed a good chuckle on a dark day of coding. And I *wish* I were where you think the missing posts went, lol!

--javadoc
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    Hello All,
    Am wondering if the Mazda minivans still offer 4 wheel drive or all-wheel-drive, or if there are any plans to make such vans? Also, can anyone point to a website that talks about the proposed 3.0 liter engine upgrade, or any other known future changes/upgrades of any sort? Thanks.
  • crvelacrvela Member Posts: 2
    I have researched may minivans and have decided on the MPV. I will be purchasing one in the next few weeks due to the fact that my leased '96 Dodge Caravan piece of junk is due to be turned in. Yippee! I can't be rid of it fast enough. I would like to know what I should expect to pay for the LX model with rear air which I definately have to have living in the Dallas, TX area. I will be looking this weekend, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also any "secrets" in getting cooperation from a dealer. I have been "taken" more times than I care to remember. Has anyone had good luck with a particular dealer in my area? This time I plan to be smart with all of your help! Thanks a lot.
  • almasyalmasy Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone.
    Last weekend I test drove the new Tribute, and despite it having a little more low end torque, it just wasn't quite as much of a kick to drive as the new MPV. I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced this or was it just me.
    The Tribute with all it's publized "zoom-zoom"
    just didn't handle as well as the MPV.
    I appreciate your comments.
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    Many have found CarsDirect.com great for establishing prices. GreenLight.com is another source.

Knowledge is power. Good Luck
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    I have to strongly agree with dnamartel. Check the sites he mentioned (although one would probably do the trick) for a price on the exact type of van with amenities you want. This price will undoubtedly be the lowest price you will be able get as long as you have this "magic number". Without it, you won't really know if you're getting a good deal or not. Any dealer you go to SHOULD be able to duplicate this price. You notice I said should, and not will.

These sites will also give you incentive and rebate info, if there is any at this time. They also factor these into their price.

Knowledge IS power, and it will make a stressful situation less so.
    I test drove an LX level Tribute a few weeks ago, and walked away with basically the same impression you had. Yes, the power is better, but the whole rig felt, how should I put it nicely, cheap. Where is the Tribute made? I ask this because it feels like a Ford, if you know what I mean.

I didn't think it handled as well as the MPV, partially because it *is* an SUV after all. High center of gravity, tall tires, long-travel suspension and all that. The interior was noisy. Wind noise, tire noise, engine noise, oh my! In addition to that, when we did take the Trib off-road (despite the loud protests of the salesman "trapped" in the back seat), I found it much less capable than our old 1990 4x4 MPV was (used to take it hunting. Crossed creek, steep hills, you name it, it did it). I know, I know...the Trib's not really meant to go off road, but you just gotta try, right?

If I were comparing the Trib and the MPV, I'd get the MPV, if only because it feels better built and you seem to get much more for your yen, er, dollar.

--javadoc
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    I have driven several Tributes and was impressed with their performance/power (3.0 Liter engine/ auto). Several car mags have indicated 0 to 60mph times of about 8.7 secs. I believe the MPV is much slower. I have not driven this van, but am impressed with its styling and features (including tumble seat and side by slide seat).
    Am looking for a traveling rig that can go down some back roads, forest trails, etc. Do not need a "mom-mobile", but the van has some advantages over the Tribute--more cargo space, could sleep in it, etc.
    Do any MPV drivers use their van for camping, going off the beaten path, traveling on dirt or muddy or snowy roads? How has the van done in these circumstances? Anyone have the GFX package (which looks nice but could deter from road clearance for off-road use)? Anyone know if and when the 3.0 Liter MPV is coming? Has Mazda dropped the 4wd MPV?
    Thanks!
  • shelby12shelby12 Member Posts: 25
    Are you sure that was you??? This was a Thursday afternoon...taking my sisters kid's to the hospital where we watched the birth of another future MPV passenger. I thought you waved at everyone in an MPV, although I have yet to see another Sapphire Blue anywhere in the Portland area ???. Anyway congrats on the purchase, sounds like you did fine. Where did you end up buying? Also, just an FYI that the largest dog crates which are 42x28xht don't fit sideways (by 1")in the very rear of the van, nor will it fit from back to front if you plan on sitting in the second seats with any leg room...fits but seats need to be folded down if set in their tracks with max legroom (which is pointless). Anyway, Shelby is getting stuffed in to a 36X24 now...love not having her slobber on the windows, despite her being my baby. Still have to give her the thrill of a going everywhere but work with me, think she enjoys the rear heat too.
    For the Tribute comments... I test drove one also and found it had lots of power which is cool, but definetely a truck ride, and although I considered it, I agree that there is not sufficient space for those who like to camp etc. Also my mom (my second opinion) felt that the ride was uncomfortable for anyone after a period of time. We also felt that the interior was cheap feeling unless you load it with options which kind of defeats the price point.
    ...has anyone had a MPV roof rack installed after purchase? How do they do it? Is it worth it ($200 total installed)
    Lastly...the MPV mileage is not great....16 in town...only 800 miles on van, did I read that it will get a little better?
    Thanks for the feedback - especially you JAVADOC - MPV INFO KING......
    Shelby's "mom"
  • cinka1cinka1 Member Posts: 30
    No, no, no, it wasn't me... I was kidding earlier, I thought it came off that way - but re-reading it, I can see how you thought I was serious - we were up in the Janzen beach area, but I didn't see any MPVs anywhere. And I don't know the names of any bridges in Portland ;)
    The dogs haven't been in the new van. I take two 100# puppies to classes every tuesday and three to the parks on saturdays. I knew that two crates would never fit. I was thinking of creating a crate out of the x-pens custom fit for two with side opening. Either that or figure out how to secure a guard rail behind second row with a removable carpet type liner that will extend just beyond the guard. Anyone out there figure out a better way to travel with the K-9s? Until then, I use the pickup with canopy for dog travels.
    I just did my first mileage check and it came up with 19.5. I was very happy with that after hearing that 15 or 16 is not uncommon. We bought the van in Newport. I figure the repair trips will have to include a seafood dinner and a walk on the beach (I have a little brush to keep sand off the shoes before entering the van). I am already going back as the 6-cd player doesn't work and a latch on a third row head rest is missing. I think Shrimp will do fine.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    WHAT? Didn't you get my scathing spank-you email??? :-) :-)

The only reason I hid your note was because of the long URL link. Those skew the page terribly and we hosts can't stand that. (Yeah, I know. It doesn't take much to twist our britches.) Sorry, I forgot to post an explanation.

As for missing posts 600-605...uh...they're still there according to my browser. To see them, enter 601-605 into the "Jump" box at the top of the page.

KarenS
    Vans host