Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    Hooray! Yippeeee! Let us know when you drive it home!

Lsinc
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    My sales person told me today the trucker's strike won't effect the delivery of our van. It'll be delivered by rail. Still no delivery date however.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    at some point it is trucked from the rail-head to the dealer...beware.
    When is this trucker's strike looking like it's going to start? If it takes 4 weeks for the van to get here from the factory, that means it'll be the end of June before it even reaches the port facility. I've been told it takes another 2 weeks for the folks at the port facility to do their thing. How long can a trucker's strike last? What's the likelyhood of the strike directly effecting the delivery of our van? Like I said earlier, if the strike does effect the delivery time, I'll go to wherever it's at and pick it up myself if I have to. I'm sure I could get the dealership pay for a bus ticket. I'm not waitin' another friggin 2-3 months for this thing to get here. It's already within the time frame when I was told it would be here and it's just now leaving the factory.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Dare I suggest that a truckers' strike will be supported by railway workers, who, IIRC, are also union members. I hate to say that, but it's worth knowing. Hopefully, that won't happen.

I feel for you bottgers, but hang in there. You'll have your MPV, and love it, and forget the long wait it took to get it.
    Heck, why doesn't every mode of shipping just shut down in support of the trucker's strike. I suppose then it would have to be called a shipper's strike. I'm just wondering what's going to happen when July 23rd gets here and our MPV's still not here. That's the date the lease expires on our main source of transportation and we'll have to turn it in, which also means we'll be down to one vehicle. I'm wondering if the dealership will give us a loaner until our MPV comes in?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    MaltB is right....the train isnt stopping at the dealership to drop off the van. Also, the last time this happend, we could NOT go to the port and pick up the cars. The unions essentially locked down the port in support of brother union members....

but this too will pass...and eventually your van will arrive. you will love it.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    It's just part of life though. I used to work for a large west-coast food distributor. It was so frustrating, b/c it seemed like there was always some kind of strike keeping our product either on a dock, stuck on a ship, in a truck yard, on a train and I was always scrambling to try and figure out a way to get the product to the warehouse, while it could still be used... it's just what happens, and unfortunately it effects the customer ultimately.

As far as a loaner, I dunno... maybe the dealership can help you out with something? It sounds negotiable since you've been patient w/the process so far. :-)
    your a comedy writer arent you???? I know there is no way you buying an oddy....did you forget its MSRP and you get to wait some more?
    am going to sit here and be positive about this entire strike issue. It won't happen and if it does, it won't happen until after bottgers van is parked in the driveway. I will talk to my brother who is a trucker (use to haul for Honda) and see what he thinks.

I know you're frustrated bottgers but keep your chin up.

Lsinc
    My sales person just sent me another email reassuring me if a trucker's strike does happen, it won't effect the delivery of our van. He said all of their vehicles ship directly from the port facility to Denver (which is where their dealership is located). I guess we'll find out.
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    The Teamsters Car Haulers union reached a tenative agreement tonight.

5/31/2003 - Teamsters Reach Tentative Pacts with Carhaul Carriers
  • cw11cw11 Member Posts: 12
    Sent an e-mail on Friday to the internet manager of ADZAM Mazda in Bedford NY with an offer of invoice+ tax+ plate- $2000 dealer cash- $500 college graduate discount for the MPV LX. The sales calls back right away saying no problem, just come over. Went to the dealer the next day, the internet manager told us it would be $500 more if we want them to get us a MPV from elsewhere (with options we want). We said no, we will stick with whatever inventory they have. Picked a MPV LX in the lot, sat down with the sales, and he gave us a quote of $500 over our agreement, and explained that it's the profit the dealer has to make. We stood up and walk out. Before reaching the front door, he ran back and said $200 over, we just got into our car and left.

Isn't it the purpose of doing business over the internet to make everybody's life simpler? IF the dealer wants the profit, say it up front. Then we will just pick one who offers the most competitive price and close a deal with them. God I hate it when the dealer pull the dirty trick at the last minute of the deal. Good thing this experience was relatively short in terms of time and driving distance for us. I am posting our experience here and send a link to Adzam's internet sales manager. Mr. Manager, I hope you enjoy your profit more than your reputation, because the reputation is something you won't have on this discussion board.
    Lesson learn: Never hurt to double or triple check your deal, and get it in writing.
    It's good to know the trucker's strike has been avoided. That's one less brick wall standing in the way of the delivery of our van. We still have the other brick walls however. It was scheduled for shipment from the factory on 5/30/03. Does it really take 4 weeks to go from the factory to the port facility? Thems some slow ships! Then am I still looking at another 2 weeks at the port facility? They must operate like the government; they'll get to it when they get to it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    These aren't hydrofoil speedboats we're talking about here. Also, as was explained earlier, they don't just set sail when your MPV comes out of the factory. They wait for a few thousand more to join it. So if you were really unlucky and the last ship sailed off the day before your van was built, it might have to sit awhile waiting for its buddies. As they say in Star Wars, "Patience, my young Jedi." At this point there isn't a thing you can do to hasten your van's journey, and fretting about it will only make you feel worse, so my advice is, put it out of your mind and find something else to do while you are waiting--like go out and enjoy the spring weather. If you have to worry about it, do something constructive like come up with a contingency plan in case your van doesn't arrive before the lease is up on your old one.
    I already have a contingency plan, it's called asking the dealer for a loaner until our van arrives.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Then I guess there will be a big, embarrassing scene taking place smack in the middle of their showroom floor! They'd be much better off just giving me a loaner.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    On the MPV, if my rolldown windows in the sliding door are down (meaning: window is open), does the power sliding doors operate ??

There was an interesting observation on the 04 Sienna board. With an open window and a hand/head peeking out, if the power sliding door is operable (and accidently activated) we got a disaster in waiting !!!

In the 04 Sienna, it seems that the power slider will NOT operate when the windows are lowered. Anybody tried this on the MPV (with extreme caution, of course !!)
  • bctnjbctnj Member Posts: 5
    Since we were also getting tired of waiting for our van. So I got from the dealer a copy of their assignments/inventory report or you can look at the Mazda dealership online inventory. The van that we ordered is not built yet so I looked for a vehicle that is similarly optioned with the vehicle we ordered. Luckily, there is one vehicle that has all the options we ordered except for the DVD system and with a different color (which was our second choice) and already at the port. I called Mazda customer service if they can add the DVD system. The DVD system is a port installed option so they were able to accommodate my request.
    What exactly is "port-installed" options ? Is this same as "dealer-installed" ? If not, who does the installation ?
    Audia8q

Who pays for a loaner when a customer has to leave their vehicle at the dealership for warranty maintenance? I know it isn't the dealership's, or the salesman's fault our van isn't going to arrive when they said it would, but it isn't our fault either. And since my wife and I both work, having one vehicle isn't going to cut the mustard. I explained our lease vehicle situation with our salesman before we ordered the MPV, and he said it would arrive long before we would have to turn in my wifes car. Now it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

bctnj

How can I find out what MPV's are at the port facility right now? Maybe I could find one similar to the one I ordered already there and just have them install the DVD system. As far as I know, having the DVD installed is the only reason our MPV will need to stay at the PF once it arrives. Please give all your sources so I can make these contacts. Thanks.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I am planning to buy a new MPV LX minivan. I live in Northern Virginia.

I would appreciate feedback if you got a good deal from a dealer in Virginia/Maryland. I am willing to drive in a 50 mile radius from Faifax county. Thanks!
    I just contacted my salesman to ask if he could find out how the MPV's currently located at the port facility are equipped, and if they have one similarly equipped to the one we ordered, maybe we could just have them install a DVD system in that van and ship it to the dealership I'm going through. As a second option, I suggested that if it gets to be the 1st or 2nd week of July and it looks like our van isn't going to arrive in time, my salesman could do another dealer search (nationwide, if need be) to see if he could locate a similarly equipped MPV at another dealership. I'd be willing to hop on a plane, train, or bus to go get it. It's either one of these options, or a loaner, 'cause we can't live with one vehicle until our MPV comes in. It isn't like I'm not trying to work with these guys, I'm even making several suggestions.
  • bctnjbctnj Member Posts: 5
    The dealership where ordered should able to give this information, they have eta date of the vehicles that are arriving. Another option is to contact Mazda at their 1-800-222-5500 and explain your situation and ask them if they can locate a vehicle within your region (with or w/o the DVD). Their customer service people were very helpful.
    Yes, the door will still open if the window is down. Frankly, I don't see how it can be a danger. You should be able to keep a window opened when the car is off and still open the door. I would find the Toyota feature annoying. My kids are forever forgetting to roll up the windows and I have to turn turn the key in order for them to roll them up. With the Toyota feature, they can't even get out of the car if the window is down?? Yuck!

The door moves so slowly and once the button is pressed again, the door stops. I have actually gotten caught in the door and it stopped. Now if the van is out of Park, the doors won't open.

Now I'm gonna cause trouble. If a small child is out of his/her car seat or booster and has their head hanging out the window and presses the door button, isn't it more likely that the child is not being supervised? Again, the car would have to be in Park in order for this to happen. Once in drive, the doors don't operate. There are warnings plastered all over my MPV regarding young children and the auto sliders. You can also shut the auto slider option off and use the doors manually.

My kids are older so I don't really see the problem. I also never allow my children to play in a parked car. I think that's were the true problem could come in. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lsinc
    I have been in contact with my dealership and the folks at Mazda, neither can give me a delivery date yet. However, I'm thinking your idea of finding out how the MPV's at the port facility are equipped is a very good one. If you think about it, every MPV that comes into the US goes to the PF. There has got to be literally thousands of them there at any given time. You'd certainly think there'd be at least a few there with the options we want. Then it would just be a matter of them installing the DVD system and shipping it to my dealer. The only problem I can foresee with this process is that sounds tedious and time consuming, which makes me think I may run into a problem convincing my salesman to do it. If I can, we might be able to get an MPV yet this month.
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    VRM -

I bought mine a year ago from Brown's Fairfax Mazda. I went in with a firm price on an ES and stuck to it. After 5 give and take sessions, I got my price.

Pick a dealer that is closest to you and has has the best service department. It is a drag trying to get service at a place other than where you bought it. And when you need leverage with service, you can always go back to the salesman you worked with.

once you settle on a dealer, go to Mazdausa.com and search all the other dealers in the are for the one you want. If the dealer is good, they can trade another dealer for the one you want. I ended up having Brown's trade a dealer in Gaithersburg for my van. If you cannot find your "van" at Mazdusa, then change the search zip code to somewhere further up North in Maryland and you will see more dealers and choices.

Finally, be prepared - know all the invoice prices, taxes, etc. before you walk in the door.

RBB
  • vickie5vickie5 Member Posts: 12
    I've had my MPV ES for a little over a week and just love it. Took it to the window tint-er on Saturday because the factory tint on the driver/passenger windows weren't as as dark as I like. That CA sun really beats down on you in the summer.

I'm standing in the parking lot and what pulls in right behind me? A new 04 Sienna LE 8 psgr. Before I decided on my MPV I also considered the Sienna. They both ended in the shop garage at the same time. This really gave me and the shop owners a chance to look at them side by side. The guy told me he paid $28K with tax and license out the door. I paid $26.5K out the door. So who got the better deal?

My impressions of these vans.

The Mazda - sporty looking.
    The Sienna - The "family van" look.

I didn't like the look of the front or back end of the sienna. The Sienna's disappearing back window gives you those nasty parallel parking blind spots, HUGE problem in the CRV. I like the wider wheelbase on the Sienna. Sienna a much longer van and due to the wide wheelbase very roomy on the inside. For a large family maybe a Sienna. For me and my K9 the MPV is the perfect size.

Being a woman I LOVE to accessorize. The MPV has the Sienna beat HANDS DOWN in this catagory.

Mazda - 17" Alloy Wheels
    Sienna - 16" Cheap Plastic Wheels. When I say cheap I mean cheap!

Mazda - Sunroof
    Sienna - no sunroof

Mazda - Electric Seat
    Sienna - Manual

Mazda - Electric sliding door
    Sienna - Manual Sliders

MAzda - Side airbags
    Sienna - No side airbags

Mazda - No luggage rack
    Sienna - Luggage rack

Mazda - leather interior
    Sienna - Cloth interior

Mazda 7 psgr
    Toyota 8 psgr

Mazda - 4 Seasons package w/ rear air
    Sienna - Rear air

Mazda - leather steering wheel
    Sienna - no leather steering wheel

Mazda - factory tint
    Sienna - no factory tint

Mazda - no cassette player
    Sienna - Cassette player. The cassette I can live without.

Mazda - Traction control
    Toyota - Didn't look like it

I didn't see any extra buttons on the dash in the Sienna so I'm guessing there wasn't anything else with the exception of cruise, electric doors, locks yada yada.

My goodness after all that comparison an MPV owner would almost feel like they were ripped off!! Wanna guess as to who got more bang for their buck? Sienna WAY overpriced and skimpy on the goodies unless you want to spend $31K MSRP. Thanks but no thanks. I'm VERY happy I decided on the MPV.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Don't go to Brown's Fairfax Mazda, they treated me like crap.

Brown's Alexandria Mazda was the complete opposite. They drove all the way out to NJ to get the van we wanted. We paid S-Plan pricing, plus, they gave us a great deal on our trade.

I dealt with Mike Johnson.
    Only if the MPV had a split rear bench, I would jump at it in a heartbeat !!! That combined with the disappearing mode would be awesome :-)

Does anyone know if Mazda plans to change the rear seat design in the future ??
    bottgers.....service loaners are paid by mazda but they require the vin number of the car getting serviced and an authorized warranty claim to pay the dealership for the use of the loaner....the other concern I have about you switching to a locate vehicle....the dealership may not want to do it because you MPV is not exactly what a dealer would want on the lot...that is why they couldnt locate one before.

Email me your vin #
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Can someone with the factory installed hitch tell what what the ITOH (inside top of hitch) height is, please? I'd like to know whether I'm going to need yet another different height of ball-mount.

Thanks,
    Steve.
    Actually my salesman already said they would do a dealer search if I choose to go that route. However, right now I think the best method would be to find out what's at the port facility. There must be literally thousands of MPV's there at any given time. I'd say the chances of finding one, or even several equipped with the options we want have to be pretty good. Then it's just a matter of them installing the DVD system and shipping it to our dealership. Using this method we could have our MPV, equipped exactly the way we ordered it, within 2 weeks, and without the additional costs involved in getting one from another dealer. I emailed my VIN to you.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Scott,
    What is S-plan pricing? Will I be able to get this pricing?

Thanks!
    Please refer back a few pages and you will find more info. Basically, if you work for a company which provides services to Ford Motor Company, since Ford owns a stake in Mazda Corp, you will get special S-plan pricing. It is about 4.85% more than the price given to Mazda employees. I think it boils down to near invoice price and the dealer is required to show you a copy of how much the vehicle actually costs them. Basically, you get the dealer asking price down without haggling. Additionally, you will get any rebates/discounts in effect at the time.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    I have 16 inch tires. Hitch is 13.25 inches above the floor of garage...
    Measured to top edge of hitch... 12.75 inches measured to top of the plug in bar that holds the ball.. The receiver hole is 1.28 inches or 32.5 mm square.
    Tj
    What acedriver said is correct. Under the S-Plan you purchase the vehicle for under dealer invoice. Mine was $100 under dealer invoice plus I got $2,000.00 cash back.

Lsinc
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Thanks for the hitch height info. One of my collection of ball-mounts will fit nicely.

Steve.
    When I spoke to Natalie at the Mazda customer service center last week, she said my MPV was scheduled for shipment from the factory on 5/30/03. Audia8q did some research on my van today and said it hasn't even left the factory yet. I still haven't found out if my dealer is willing or able to see if we can get one from the port facility, and the chances of finding one at another dealer optioned the way we want it are slim, not to mention the additional transportation cost. Having a deadline makes this whole process very frustrating and nerve racking for me. If I had an unlimited amount of time to wait I wouldn't be concerned about any of this stuff. This is the second time I've ordered a new vehicle, and the second time I've had to wait far beyond the delivery timeframe I was initially given. Just once it would be nice if one of the vehicles I order arrived when I was told it would.
  • findingnemofindingnemo Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know anything about the LX-sv. I live in Honolulu and checked out the inventory for a Cutter Mazda dealership on the Mazdausa website. It listed several lx-sv(s). However they didn't have it on their lot and noone had heard of that model. Besides even if they did have it, as I was planning on purchasing on the s plan, the manager said they would probably not sell it to me(discretion of the dealer to sell at S plan). Went to another dealer later on(JN Mazda) and they also didn't have it though it was listed on their inventory on the mazda website. JN was a lot nicer to deal with though. Don't quite know what's going on here. Ideas?
    When you locate a vehicle on Mazadausa.com, the system will list vehicles that haven't even arrived at the dealership yet. My vehicle for instance, was just built on 5/15/03 and I'm told it hasn't even left the factory yet. But when I do a vehicle search on Mazda's, my van shows up on there listed by VIN, what dealership it's going to, and all its options. These vehicles must show up in the system to us as soon as they're built and have had they're info listed in the system. This system is great except for one thing, it needs to show a delivery date.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    20:54, June 3rd

8 pounds, 8 ounces, 20.5 inches

DW and Brogan are resting well. Big sister Brooke (2yo) is now a big sister, whether she likes it or not!

-Brian
  • dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    of information. I just wanted you to know that.

You trials and tribulations of getting your vehicle, though, has me concerned about going the Mazda route.

Otherwise, its sounds like a prime choice.

Does anyone have any experience with Long Island dealers regarding MPV's? Anyone buy one there? Where are the LI Mazda dealers?

If noone has any info on LI, how about the New York City area (queens, etc)?

Any and all info would be most appreciated.
    Dave_H2, Did you decide on the MPV ? I know that you were shopping for the 04 Sienna. Is the Sienna still on your cards ? Reason I ask is because I am in the same boat :-)
    I'm not even close to being a great source; Audia8q, now he's a great source.

For the first time, I don't think my sales person was being straight with me. I've been hounding him pretty hard about finding out what MPV's they have at the port. He's been talking around my messages and today he said "I've been told there aren't any vans matching yours at the port." I get the impression he didn't even check. I realize these guys don't make much profit on these S-Plan deals and I understand them not wanting to invest a lot of time and effort into this sale, but he should also realize I'm in a bind time wise, an also that I've been doing almost all the leg work trying to come up with altenate plans. If someone would just tell me how to get in touch with the port and/or how to search their inventory, I'd find a match at the port, then pass the info along to may sales person. He could then contact the port, give them the VIN and tell them to ship it to their dealership. It sounds so figgin easy, so why am I having such a hard time?
    Congratulations! Glad everyone is healthy!

Best of Luck!

Lsinc
  • dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    It's true I am leaning towards the MPV now.

Actually I was actively shopping the Odyssey far more than the Sienna. But the compact size of the MPV (as well the the more reasonable price) has me looking hard in it's direction.

However, bottgers horror stories on his delivery isn't helping any.

If I can't get one from existing stock, I will definitely *not* factory order.

I need the van now - now 3 months from now.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Wow Congrats!!!!!! Boys are fun to have around... Be good to him; you will really need him someday.. You change his diaper today, some distant tomorrow he will change yours...
    Girls on the other hand are a hand full but they will steal your heart away... Then when they become teenagers they will hand it back ripped to shreads. Then they grow up and steal it away again for keeps this time.... Kids, you gotta love 'em....
    Tj
  • dougseydougsey Member Posts: 20
    My OEM tire are 205/65-15 and I want to replace them with Yoko Avid Touring size 215/65-15. I want to go with the wider width to meet the minimum load rating of 94. Will the larger tire fit ok on my OEM 15" alloy rims?

The 215's have a rim width range of 6.5-8" but I don't know how wide my rims are.