Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    I don't feel so l337 anymore. I saw another pewter last Tuesday driving home from work, and then I saw 2 (cranberry,black) on Saturday.

I did feel special for a little while. We were all honking at each other cause we had that car, so that was cool. I'm going to take some pics along with my new CD player and I'll try to post them in the Picture Section by the weekend.
  • williadaywilliaday Member Posts: 10
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration give both Civic (4-Dr) and Elantra (4-Dr) similar (Civic got one star more in the front drivers while the Elantra got the extra nudge in front side impact) ratings.

I guess it all depends on who is running the tests.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Cmpt.html

• pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    You are incorrect when you say "I guess it all depends on who is running the tests." The tests by the NHTSA are full frontal at 35 mph, whereas the one by the IIHS is an offset test at 40 mph. Not at all the same thing.

I think the ball really is in Hyundai's court to fix these problems and move on with it. I know that I'm more than willing to wait a few months to see how things turn out.

If you look at the real alternatives to the Elantra GT (performance and equipment) you are talking about shelling out several thousands of dollars (Canadian!) more. A couple of examples I'm considering are the VW Golf GLS and the Subaru Outback Sport. These are great cars, but saving those extra $$$ would mean alot to me.

If Hyundai would only get its act together, I think a safer Elantra GT would certainly be worth waiting for.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Just got a letter from Hyundai apologizing that some GT Monroney stickers incorrectly listed a remote hatch release as standard equipment. Not even asking if mine was one of them, they are sending a check for $100 for the inconvenience. Give them a chance to make a decision regarding the crash testing. So far I am impressed.
  • cyanogelcyanogel Member Posts: 11
    What's the difference between full frontal and offset tests?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In a full frontal test, the car hits the barrier head-on (i.e. at a right angle). In an offset test, the car hits the barrier at a non-right angle, so one corner takes more of the impact.
    Just slam the seat back into position and PRESTO! the button pops back up!
  • billrubinbillrubin Member Posts: 10
    I picked up my new GT today (ABS/TC, automatic) and managed to jam the button all the way in during the pickup checkout. He had to drive it back into service to get them to fix it. What a pain it is -- first of all the button should never go down that far, second it should be easier to open the stupid seats without having to push so hard! But that, and maybe the fact that there does not seem to be a way to unlock the driver's door and not all of the others (has Hyundai never heard of the problem a while back where thieves would hide on the passenger side and climb in when the doors were unlocked?) I really like the car (not to mention that I paid $15,300 for the car, which was invoice).

Bill
    The button only needs to be depressed a little to release the seat back. It only jams when you are too aggressive with pressure. If you push it too far down and it sticks, just slam the seat back into place and it will pop back up. Works every time for me. As to the power doors, will the key just open the driver's side or does it act the same way as the remote? Haven't tried it yet. As to the carjacking, just walk around your car and look inside before getting in.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Good advice about the seatback release buttons and door unlocking.

By the way, knowing you drive a lot of miles (surprised to find someone who puts more miles on a car than I do), how many miles do you have on your GT now? Any new problems yet?
    Just went over 4,000 miles and had the oil changed. Pleased to report that the oil level was just below full. Had the fuel gauge fixed...it stopped reading "full" and only registered 7/8s or less with a full tank. If this happens to you, make sure to go to the dealer with as little fuel in the tank as possible in case they have to drop it. Other than that, nothing appeared wrong. No shimmies, no pulls, no squeaks, no defects. My right passenger shoulder belt buckle rattles against the door post sometimes, but I think I can remedy that by getting some felt stick on strips at Home Depot and just applying one where the contact is made. They even come in dark gray. Hope it stays this trouble free for a long time...the service shop (Fairfax, VA) was great....even acted happy to see me. Now the $100 dollar missing remote hatch release check is in the mail. What else could you want?
    That's encouraging news, mpgman.

I, too, have a slight rattle with the passenger-side front belt and had thought about putting some Velcro (fuzzy side) behind it. But, it only rattles a little, during bumps and such, so it's not a big concern to me (at least for now).

Fortunately, I haven't had any fuel gauge problems - it reads "full" when full and it only has about 2-3 gallons of gas left in the tank when the light comes on.

My only current problems are:

(1) slight pull to the left
    (2) some intermittent clicking from front left wheel well during some sharp turns
    (3) still can't get those darned mud flaps to align properly with the fender holes and dealer swears they are the proper part number. I might insist the dealer install them and let him have all the fun...

My biggest problem is that I work so darned much that it is hard for me to get to the dealer. Are they supposed to get me a free rental car for every time I bring it in until I hit 60,000 miles?

I feel pretty good overall about the quality of the GT, especially in light of the fact that I hear some other econo-owners have had some more serious troubles with cars such as the Focus and Golf.
    Not sure about the free rental car. When I bought mine, they offered me the 10/100 total blanket for $995 but I passed. That included the use of a free rental for covered repairs. A dealer in Tom's River, NJ allegedly has 40 loaner cars and you can check one out for service calls. Most other dealers don't want to hassle with the extra liability and insurance issues. Enterprise Car Rental often has real cheap one or two rates if you specify your car is the shop for repairs. They may ask for the repair shop address to verify. I got the flaps as part of the deal so the dealer installed them and they look OK. Beats the $289 many Honda dealers charge, doesn't it? Other than wishing the stereo also had a cassette player, this car has all I need. I think the driver seat adjustment range and the lumbar support are excellent.
    That's one or two day rental rates....

Look at the warranty information to check for rental cars....some times it calls for them having to keep the car overnight to complete the repairs.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Generally, the dealer will only offer a rental if your car has to stay overnight. It is not part of the Hyundai warranty, but a dealer offered service to make customers happy. If its just a routine visit that will only take a day at the most, the dealer will usually only offer a ride to work and back at best. I got a rental Chevy Cavalier from Enterprise when my 00 Accent had to stay overnight to replace the water pump. The dealer must have a special deal with Enterprise because there is a little office right next door that is attached to the collision repair center.
  • mirax2mirax2 Member Posts: 3
    got to test drive the GT. I live up here in Canada. I saw my first one last Saturday and I got to drive a 5-spd on Monday. I Love the way the GT looks like a baby SAAB! Here in CAN we have 2 packages one base w/o leather and the other one w/leather, ABS and moon roof.

Are there any Canadians out there who have purchased one yet? On top of the MSRP the dealer added a $125 Metallic paint fee, and a $395 Admin/Theft protection fee. Are these charges legit?
    Oh yeah....Also there was a $895 Freight and PDI charge.
    There was no Window sticker for any of the Hyundai Vehicles...so I just took his word for it that the MSRP of the vehicle was $20495 + FRT &fees for the 5-spd with the leather, ABS and Moonroof. Should the Hyundai vehicles here in CAN have window stickers?
    I currently have a Focus ZX3 and I am used to full disclosure and info on the company website etc...
    Any help would be great!
    Many Thanks

BTW this board has been very helpful and informative so far and I am happy to finally have something to say instead of just being a lurker :)

Mirax
  • azzi1azzi1 Member Posts: 3
    mpgman at post 655 mentioned a $100 refund from Hyundai. How did you go about getting it. I bought my GT 7-9 and love it. I thought I was nuts though when I was looking for the hatch release and could not find it. I had a 99 elantra before and it was right next to the fuel door release.
    Not that I need the hatch release, but I sure would love the $100 since no $500 rebate was offered. Do you have an address or email address?
    I love my GT. I have 1400 miles and alot of people looking at my saab like car.
  • pgh_elantra_gtpgh_elantra_gt Member Posts: 6
    Still having problems getting the rear mud flaps to fit? I bought mine from the Hyundai parts department and they fit perfectly. I finally found my paperwork that came with the flaps and it lists the GT (5 door) separate from the GLS (4 door). The part number for the GT's rear flaps is 08460-2D600. Hope this helps. I put mine on myself and found it easier to put the inner most bolt in first.
    Also, I got my letter about the remote hatch release today.
    Anybody else have a window sticker that states a change in the suspension? On the sticker under "High Value Features", it states Sport-Tuned Suspension, but over to the right under "Optional Features" it states Comfort Suspension N/C. I have a very low serial # GT and have noticed that the current dealer stock of GT's does not say Comfort Suspension anymore. Does that mean I basically have a GLS suspension?
    It doesn't matter because I think it handles great. Just curious to know if anybody else noticed this.
  • triumphtripletriumphtriple Member Posts: 10
    Just turned 400 miles on my GT, and I notice a bit of "wander" on the highway. At first I thought that it was the wind, but since then I've confirmed that it's not. Tire pressure from the dealer was set to 40lbs, but I fixed that the day I bought it. Is this something that would be covered under my warranty if I take it to a local dealer? It doesn't seem like it would be, although I just bought the car....
    Thanks to ElantraGTguy for info about the cargo net -- let me know how much the anchors are and how they install....
    I'm still on my first tank of gas, and so far my computer indicates that I'm getting around 26mpg. Heard that this will probably improve as I continue to break the car in....
    Also, regarding breakin -- the manual says not to exceed 4k RPM, or go over 55mph for 1200 miles. I can handle not exceeding 4k RPM, but 55mph??? Just can't do that...
    mirax2:

I don't know about Canada, but there should not be a metallic paint fee with US-sold models for sure. Admin-theft protection sounds very fishy to me, but, then again, things might be different in Canada. I would definitely check with Hyundai directly about this to be sure the dealer isn't trying to scam you. As far as the freight (destination) charge goes, it is $495 in the US, but could be more in Canada. Nonetheless, I would check the freight charges when pricing new cars here at Edmunds to be sure of the Canadian destination charge.

Congrats on getting your GT! It's a great car!

pgh_elantra_GT:

THANKS for that part number info! I went to check the part number on my rear mudflaps and it is not the same. The part they gave me is 08460-2D510. No wonder I couldn't get the rear ones to fit! I can't wait to call the dealer now after I was already told that I had the right part number!

My GT also had the "Comfort Suspension" listed at no charge on the window sticker. My serial number isn't real low, so maybe it changed after my car's production run or something.

mpgman and lingtonge18:

Thanks for the info. I called the dealer later for clarification on the "free rental car" issue and they told me that once a needed repair is inspected and deemed to be covered under the warranty that they will issue a free rental car. So, I guess I have a pretty good dealer, since this is supposedly not part of the warranty.
    I wouldn't worry as much about the top speed limit during the break-in period. Keeping the rpms under 4,000 is much more important.

Also, make sure you don't use the cruise to maintain a constant highway speed either during the break-in period. You need to vary your cruising speed every few minutes or so.

Congrats on your purchase!
  • alaskapbalaskapb Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,
    My wife and I bought a Pewter 5-speed with pkg 2 last weekend at Famous Ed's Hyundai in El Monte, CA.(I10 at Santa Anita) and received friendly service and a good price. As of last weekend they also had the following GTs:
    1 Pewter auto pkg 1
    1 Red auto pkg 1
    2 Blue auto pkg 1
    1 Blue auto pkg 2
    1 Blue manual pkg 1
    1 Black didn't see up close

We've only put a few miles on our new car so far but haven't experienced any problems...Nice car and a good value in our opinion to those of you who are still considering this car.
  • sergprofansergprofan Member Posts: 6
    What should the tire pressure be on this car?
    The mud flaps that were installed on my GT (as part of the deal) had shades of gray spots on them. After seeing two more sets, they were the same, so I told them to remove them. I got (7) free oil changes and my rotors are covered for 3 yrs/36k instead. Other than my radio needing to be replaced, I've had my GT since May 31st, have driven it 1600 miles, and I love this car!

There is a statement regarding free loaner cars on the Hyundai website.

Congrats to all the new GT buyers!!
  • dwangyahoodwangyahoo Member Posts: 12
    I thought it was impossible to get abs in SoCal. How much did you pay for your pkg 2?!
  • alaskapbalaskapb Member Posts: 4
    We paid 15156.00 with floor mats and the advertising fee and freight, not including sales tax and registration. That is 200.00 over invoice. The advertising fee as they explained it to me is charged to them by Hyundai on each car and adds to the overall dealer cost of the vehicle...So we paid the fee and took the car and ran so to speak. I also thought it was going to be next to impossible to find an Elantra GT with ABS and traction control because we originally wanted to buy an Elantra GLS with the same and couldn't find one in CA. Well, eventually we did find one but it was white(my wife doesn't like white) and an automatic(neither of us like automatics in small/sporty cars). So we held off purchasing a car and was still looking at other vehicles when the GT came out. The traction control is on by default by the way and the off button is by the emergency flashers.
    Ed Dominguez, the owner of Famous Ed's, said they don't have any say in what cars they get when. So I guess it turned out to be a serendipitous experience for us since we were leaning towards a Honda Accord EX 5-speed but hadn't been able to find the color my wife liked best yet.
    Finally, I got an air deflector that fits my GT. Hyundai said to install one for the Sonata. I did and it fits perfectly. Now all I need is a rear spoiler.
  • mattwamattwa Member Posts: 16
    The rear latch problem could lead to some other problems, as I found out last night. If the
    seat is upright and the seat belt receptacle is caught under the seat cushion *and* the rear seat doesn't release because of the latch problem, then you may face a situation where one of your rear seat passengers doesn't have a seatbelt. I was able to fish the seat belt piece out from between the seat cushions but it wasn't easy. I can see now why those plastic prongs are included to latch the receptacles before the seat is released. Just something to be aware of.
    If you are not a member, you will have to sign up to view it, but it's free. As a new GT owner, I particularly liked this piece: "It doesn't take a sharp pencil to realize that the GT is a bargain." And they even forgot to mention that it has traction control when you get the ABS option!

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/05/automobiles/05AUTO.html?searchpv=day01

Bill

alaskapb -- I am so jealous that you say you found a dealer with the car in blue with auto and package 2 (7)! No one here has them in blue, no less with ABS! I just bought one in red, and while it's nice in red, I would have preferred blue. Did you look at it? Does it look as nice in person as it does in the brochure?

BTW does anyone know why the stickers say package 2 but the brochures and other stuff say package 7 for the ABS/TC? It's rather confusing.

Bill
    You should be getting a letter in the mail from Hyundai with a form to sign. Then the check comes. If you don't, call the 1-800-826-CARS number and see what's up. Nice touch....although probably strongly recommended by their lawyers!
  • hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    Hi Everyone! Seem like most of you are interesting about the Elantra GT. I am currently the owner of the Hyundai Santa Fe. I will need to buy a 2nd hand car to drive to work and leave my Santa Fe for weekend, field trip, and for my wife when I go to play sport with 1 car. Anyway, I was planning to buy the 2002 Elantra GT with fully loaded options. The main thing I really car about the GT options which are hard to find is the Traction Control. I believe the 2002 model have the Rear Sway Bar, Upgrade Sport Suspension, Side Airbags. Does any of you have the Elantra GT with the Traction Control option?

For sport upgrade accessories you can visit
    hdkautosport.com. I bought lots of stuff for my Santa Fe at this site...If you want to see my Santa Fe then you can visit my site at www.y2kcatalogs.com/santafe.

Good Luck and have fun all of you. I can wait to get my hand on the Elantra GT by next year...
  • rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    Wife has weighed in and loves the hatchbacks. Don't want a big comparison here as I've already done most of the research. One big concern we have is trunk space with the seat up (as our young children are always with us)

We are looking at the GT (15ish), Pro5 (17.5 ish), Impreza Outback (18.5ish) and Jetta Wagon (18.5ish)

Definitely felt the Suburu trunk was minute with seats up. Mazda looked large. Haven't seen Jetta. Couldn't get into GT as dealership was closed. Can someone out there give me a comparison?

Edmunds lists sedan trunks as follows: Protege 12.9, Elantra 11.0, Impreza 11.1 and Jetta 13.0. The slope on the Impreza hatch seems to make it smaller...is the Elantra GT trunk space really that small?

I would need to fit two large suitcases, a portable crib and a couple of large bags (soft) on an average trip.

Thanks for your advice.

My 2 cents:

Wife loves that Subaru. I'm not thrilled with the styling or gas mileage.

Styling on GT and Jetta are great. Price big difference here...also, don't think Volkswagen reliability any better than Hyundai.

Pro5 looks a bit "new jersey shore"-ish - I know, I'm from there. But I really liked it anyway. Just not sure if the neighbors will expect me to be street racing.
  • coastroadcoastroad Member Posts: 8
    My Elantra GT is one month new, and has started idling between 2000-3000 when decelerating. My car is a 5-speed, and I can feel the engine trying to push the car while I am braking, almost like an automatic. When I push the clutch in, I can see the high idle speed. But as soon as I come to a complete stop, the idle returns to normal. This is the second time this has occurred. The first time, I had the car for only a few days. The dealer could find no error codes, but disconnected and re connected the battery. This solved the problem, but only temporarily. The dealer also said something about a "reflash" to reprogram the cpu. This elusive reflash is not yet available and I'm wondering if any of you out there have heard of this and may be experiencing the same problem.
  • mattwamattwa Member Posts: 16
    rgarbaccio - it probably depends on the dimensions of the portable crib. You won't have a problem with the large suitcases or the soft bags.

I checked the dimensions of the GT trunk and there is 4' 8" across at the tailgate end but only 3' across behind the seats between the wheel wells. (The trunk area is about 3' deep and about 1' 6" high). If you can fit the crib close to the tailgate, it could work. The other possibility is to drop one of the rear seats and run the crib lengthwise.

I found the hatch real convenient for loading. There is also a lot more interior room in the GT than some of the other cars you are considering.

Hope this helps.
    Where did you find the information about cargo space with rear seats up? Do these stats refer to cargo space UNDER the cargo cover or floor to ceiling?

The reason I ask is because it seemed to me that the GT had more cargo area under the cargo cover than the P5. Now, if you look at floor-to-ceiling cargo space, the P5 does visually appear to have slightly more space, due to GT "ceiling" (glass) being more sloped.

As far as cargo space in trunks (sedan models), you really can't beat the Protege sedan in my opinion. We have a 1999 ES sedan and its trunk space is pretty amazing for a car its size.
  • dstraudstrau Member Posts: 17
    Starting to look at the Elantra Gt w/auto, and option package 7.........Is 14 750 a good price for metro NY area?

Thanks
    It sure is, if option package 7 is the same as option package 2, which is moonroof, ABS and traction control. That price is below invoice....I doubt you can get a GT for that. The GLS is another story.
  • dplatnycdplatnyc Member Posts: 17
    I recently test drove both the Mazda Protege5 and the Hyundai GT. Both cars were automatics but did not have significant other accessory packages. While I had been leaning toward the GT, I
    anticipated preferring the Pro5. I found the Pro5 to have a good steering feel. It was responsive
    and tight, taking the curves well and keeping me in touch with the road. The wheel itself also felt good. I did not find the acceleration particularly good. The car complained
    when I floored it and move sluggishly. The front seats were comfortable and the rear seats adequate. This is not a five-seater. Nor was the luggage space anything but tiny with the
    rear seats up. Moreover, the dashboard is flimsy--pushing a button on the climate control moved and bent the entire panel. I also did not like the italicized gauges. Mazda has a good
    stereo--I have a 1992 626 LX, and I know the radio is strong and has good tuning programming. With respect to price, the Mazda dealer offered to beat the Edmunds TMV for a no-frills Pro5,
    explaining that he would want invoice plus $500.00 or less, because there is a $500.00 cash-back offer right now.

I ended up preferring the GT overall. Only the steering wheel let me down--it was thin, slippery plastic. I thought the car handled nearly as well and rode more quietly and evenly than the
    Pro5. Although I wouldn't be doing any racing, the acceleration was better than the Pro5. The dashboard and controls were more solid and I prefer the less contemporary dark gauges on the GT to the cheap-looking fake metal on the Mazda. Although in the bright sunshine I had trouble reading the trip computer. I found the seats to be firmer with less side support on the GT, but they were fine and I used the adjustment controls to contour them to my 5'6" frame. Strong smell of leather, though! The cargo space in the GT is much bigger with the seats up. Without seeing them side-by-side, it would be difficult to compare them with the seats down. The GT does, however, have a much cheaper mat in the cargo space than does the Pro5. The GT radio did not pick up stations my 9 year old 626 could get, but it sounded okay to me. A month ago, the dealer's manager, who was on vacation at the time of my test drive, had quoated me $13,800.00 (including the $495.00 destination fee) for a GT with only floormats. The guy who handed me the keys for the
    test drive, which I took alone, noted this offer, said that there weren't many GTs out there and that the 2002s would be in soon, but said that the manager would get back to me. I hope that the
    dealer will not say that they can only sell me the red automatic I test drove--I hate red and I hate automatics! From these boards and my own research, it seems like $13,800 is a decent price, since it's only about $300 over the TMV and less than $400 above the invoice, as reported by Edmunds. I am in the New York, New York area, and I have received higher quotes from others. I would be interested in other peoples' reactions to the price.

While I have some doubts about the GT's build, reliability and resale value, I think I will probably end up buying one. I really appreciate people's many comments. I cranked this one up
    to 60-70, to check the shimmy. I also pushed the buttons to lower the seats, thinking about mpgman while I did it. As advised on the boards, the buttons popped up when I firmly returned the seats to their upright positions. Further, from the Mazda boards and my own experience with Mazda, I am not convinced it's as well-crafted as some other Japanese brands, and my experience with the Mazda service people has been horrendous.
  • mykem1mykem1 Member Posts: 29
    Or, at least soon to be. I like the Pro5 and the GT. But the Pontiac Vibe will probably put both to shame. A Toyota/GM joint venture is producing a 180HP V4, coupled to a 6sp manual. 4dr hatchback with more room than the Pro5 and GT, it will still get mileage (when driven sensibly, of course) in the upper 20's. Price is said to be competitive with Pro5/Jetta.

Now I don't know what to do. You know they will sell well next year (spring debut), and there won't be much dealing. I am thinking of buying an Aztek now and trading my COlt Vista, then trading my new wagon from last year on the Vibe in the summer of next year.

Go to Pontiac's web site and check that little monster out!
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Bought a pewter GT base w/automatic for $14.5 (incl. destination) back in June from a dealer in Little Falls, NJ. At that time, it was the only GT in three counties equipped the way I wanted. It sounds like you're getting a favorable deal at $13,800 for the base model. Sad to hear you don't like the red -- that was my first choice. The pewter is nice, though.

We've put 3,000 miles on our GT and other than a minor wheel shimmy which disappeared after 400 miles, we haven't had any trouble whatsoever. My initial doubts about build quality are fading rapidly. The car feels sturdy, is very quiet, rides comfortably and routinely gets 25 mpg in hard city driving. I can easily fit two bicycles in the cargo area with the "60%" seat folded. And I just figured out last weekend how to use the seat belt clips. How cool are those?

We are still getting compliments about the car after two months. Oddly, I have yet to see another GT on the roads yet (I live in northern NJ - traffic capital of the Northeast). I like the exclusivity!

Good luck. As a first-time Huyundai owner I, too, had doubts. But the GT has been very satisfying.
    Hard to judge without sitting in one and driving it. They will have something of an aggressive look and be marketed to the younger set, so if that fits you, you may have your car. Not sure as to intro dates though...the Matrix is due out first sometime next year and the Vibe is supposed to be an 03 model. I think the length of the Matrix/Vibe will be equal to that of the GT so the space issue might be minimal. The 180 hp version has tentative mpg figures of 21/28. The smaller engine is 27/32. Automatic and stick figures should be the same give or take a mpg or two.
    Thanks for making a similar observation that I had made about the cargo space UNDER the cargo cover between the Pro5 and the E-GT. rgarbaccio gave stats that the P5 had more cargo space, but, as I suspect, this was probably measuring from floor to ceiling. Floor-to-ceiling measurements, to me, are not important, because I bought my GT to be used to carry the family on long trips, which means the rear seats will be up and the cargo cover will be in place.

The cargo space in the P5 under the cargo cover is not that impressive, probably among the smallest in class, by my observations.
  • rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    The numbers I posted were for the sedans (as written in my post) and not the hatchbacks. I was asking if the sedan numbers could be correlated to the hatchbacks.

Anyway - happy to hear GT has better space. I, on the other hand, thought that the Pro5 space looked quite decent. Better than the Outback Sport (I'm talking with the seats up of course)
  • xwebxweb Member Posts: 12
    I have a 23" Mountain Bike that I would like to be able to shove in the back of whatever car I pick up next...

Have any current GT owners had any luck getting a bike in the back without taking the front wheel or seat off?

Also, I'm 6'5" -- any other tall drivers fitting in these? Is there room behind the driver's seat for a small person if the seat is all the way back?

TIA -- x
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I'm also 6'5", and fit fine during a test drive - the car even had the sunroof. Most of my height is in my legs, so you'd be wise to try it out for yourself. I didn't look to see how much room remained for a rear seat passenger - sorry!
  • hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    This is what I have for the Elantra GT size information:
    Wheelbase = 102.7 in.
    Length = 177.1 in.
    Width = 67.1 in.
    Height = 56.1 in.
    Fuel (gal) = 14.5 in.
    EPA = 24/33 city/hiway
    Horses = 140 @ 6000 rpm
    Torque = 133 ft-lbs @ 4800 rpm
    Front Headroom = 39.6 in.
    Rear Headroom = 38.0 in.
    Front Shoulder Room = 54.7 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room = 53.5 in.
    Front Hip Room = 53.0 in.
    Rear Hip Room = 55.6 in.
    Front Leg Room = 43.2 in.
    Rear Leg Room = 35.0 in.
    Maximum Luggage compacity = 11 cu. ft.
    Car Weight = 2698 lbs
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I'm 6'4 (or was until I hit middle age and started shrinking). The Elantra (GLS) is the only car I've ever owned that I had to move the seat up in order to easily reach the pedals.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    xweb - I have put my 16.5" mountain bike AND my 53 cm road bike (I'm 5'9") in the GT at the same time. They both fit fine. If you lower your seat, take off the front wheel, and fold the big half of the seat down, your mountain bike should fit easily. Be sure to remove the cargo cover before you load your rig.

You might be able to get your bike in with the front wheel on, but you'd need to fold both seats. I haven't tried this yet. I didn't want to get crud all over the backs of the front seats or the rear doors.
  • txaggietxaggie Member Posts: 5
    Well, I'm still looking for a GT w/ option package 7 (2) in Texas. I finally heard of one in Houston, but its the "seabreaze blue", a color very low on my list.
    At this point, I'm thinking about holding off and getting a 2002 model since they should be out shortly. Does anyone know if the price will go up on them? Or if there will be any differences?