Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Well - looks like the 2003s have the same problem that a lot of you with 2002s have commented on regarding the vibration/droaning noise present at highway speeds.

When did you guys first start to notice this problem. Has it been since day 1 or did it start later? We haven't had this issue with our 2003 Envoy XL..... yet.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    fiscuss

The fuse is under the rear seat, #29 I think. Check the owners manual. The wipers function normally as far as I can tell. Intermittent works as expected.

GAM
  • garagesmokergaragesmoker Member Posts: 8
    SLT model with the SLT C&C package, Polished wheels, 6CD Changer, side bags, and running boards. Carbon metallic outside, dark pewter inside. Very sharp.

Went through the GMS program and with the BONUS CASH got it for a few bucks under invoice. Bonus cash is $250 or $500 depending on market. I got $250.

I have the original GM card so all $3085 balance was applied + the BONUS that they said expired 1/31. It has been quietly extended till 2/15. Add another $1250 credit.

Total off sticker = $11,100 with all these programs. Found it impossible to say no.

Go get one. It can't get better than this..can it?

GS

PS: Wife drove it home. I may never get to drive it. She loves it!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Thanks Gam2 for the info. I don't like the rain sense wipers for one reason. If you don't turn them off when you turn the car off, and you take the car through a wash or if there is snow or ice on the windshield in the morning, they will start up when the car is started and possibly ruin the wiper motor or wiper arms.

Frank
    If you don't turn them off when you turn the car off, and you take the car through a wash or if there is snow or ice on the windshield in the morning, they will start up when the car is started and possibly ruin the wiper motor or wiper arms.

Aaahhhh, it's nice to have a garage...
    Total off sticker = $11,100 with all these programs. Found it impossible to say no.

Awesome, tell me you got 0% financing too! Don't you think the dark pewter looks great? We got the XL with the dark pewter and magnetic red metallic exterior. I never get to drive it either, the wife is always in it!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you meant to say "Aaahhhh, it's nice to have a garage that still has room for the XL..." It's a losing battle around here trying to keep a path clear from the car to the door :-)

Steve, Host
    I think you meant to say "Aaahhhh, it's nice to have a garage that still has room for the XL..." It's a losing battle around here trying to keep a path clear from the car to the door :-)

I know what you mean, Steve. Our city recently went to the big 90 gallon trash cans, so it's tough fitting that, the Envoy XL, and the Intrigue in the garage. Luckily our garage is somewhat oversized.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I had the springs replaced, it doesn't help, its worse when its very cold outside, 0-25 degrees, the vibration is in the steering wheel slightly, with an over all THMMMMMMM THMMMMMM in the cabin, The problem started or at least I noticed it about a week after owning, on 12/28/02. When I purchased the vehicle it was snowing like mad out so I only had the vehicle in 4wd/AWD, I had test drove 3 others, it did not do this! I have no time to bring this to the dealer, its not an awful vibration like a weight fell off the wheel, but its there! Otherwise no problems! When I do let off the gas you can't feel it!
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Since the Ascender and Rainier are both rebadged versions of the original triplets, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included on this board. They share the same capabilities and issues as the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada. Interestingly, Isuzu has a "Mac Truck"-like reputation in the rest of the world, not the dorky reputation it has here in the U.S. From that standpoint, it's credible company for a truck to be in.

Actually, if any vehicles didn't belong on this board, it's the XLs. They aren't the same as the standard triplets. Different frame, body, driving characteristics (e.g., massive turning circle), and some with different engines. Not much in common there.
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    I noticed the vibration/noise about 2 weeks after I owned it. It was hardly noticable at first - now it seems like it is getting louder and louder. It does stop when I let up on the accelerator. It makes me sad to think that there might not be any fix to it and I will just have to live with it. I purchased it, not leased it, and there is no way I would be able to sell it for at least a couple of years. I wonder how bad it is going to be on road trips - we like to do those several times a year.
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    Its amazing what you can fit in a garage, when it snows every day and you really want to avoid scraping the car each morning. Somehow, my wife and I manage to fit my Tahoe, her XL, my John Deere riding mower, the 90 gallon garbage can, and all of the other stuff that seems to migrate to the garage. Glad we made it larger when we built the house. I agree with you all though, it seems like there should be some type of sensor that shuts off the auto rain sense wipers when the outside temperature is below a certain level, or when the windshield is frozen. Once the defroster heats the window up, the sensor could re-activiate the auto-wipers. Just a thought.
    redline65, yes it is nice having a garage, I do have a 2 car garage, but I have to make a daily decision as to which of the 3 cars will go into the 2 car garage. I consider the garage to be a benefit for the car. Whichever car treats me the best gets the garage. I decided to keep the (TB) outside. Reserving the garage for the Ford Van and the Mitsu. Diamonte. The birds are confused by the (TB'S) misdirected roof rack arrows. They don't know if the car is going forward or backward, as a result they can't hit it.

My point with the rain sense wipers still stands. The wiper system can be damaged by the wipers coming on at the wrong time. I doubt that GM will offer to make out of warranty repairs to wiper motors due to their (GM) short sighted design.

Frank
    Actually, if any vehicles didn't belong on this board, it's the XLs. They aren't the same as the standard triplets. Different frame, body, driving characteristics (e.g., massive turning circle), and some with different engines. Not much in common there.

Well, us XL/EXT owners would rather not rub elbows with you SWB owners anyways. ;-)

Don't forget the Ascender is an XL/EXT clone.
    The birds are confused by the (TB'S) misdirected roof rack arrows. They don't know if the car is going forward or backward, as a result they can't hit it.

I think they must have removed the roof rack arrows for the 2003 models, as mine doesn't have them. GM probably wanted to avoid confusion with them.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    cebteb, the Ascender is only available as a long wheelbase version like the XL's. So if you exclude the long versions it should be excluded too. Otherwise it belongs here.
    Also, I don't think Isuzu has a dorky reputation here - maybe just the Vehicross. Surely you've noticed that there's tons of Rodeos in the Denver area.
    No..didn't get zero % also, but he did find 4.13% for 60 months which beat my credit union rate of 4.99%.

I actually got to drive it for part of this mornings commute and it is a real nice driving machine. I hope the '03s have all the '02 bugs worked out and this vehicle gives us many trouble free miles.

GEICO will give us 7 yr/100,000 extended coverage ($250 deductable) for $88/yr. That's $616 for all 7 years. I had this coverage on my Transport (quite a bit cheaper) and used it 3 or 4 times with total satisfaction. GMO Outlet quoted my $2515 for 7/100,000 with $200 deductable. I guess I'll stay with GEICO's coverage.

GS
    I'll have to look into the Geico warranty. Is it an exclusionary policy, or does it only cover specific components?
    Here is a link to their FAQs on the coverage.

http://www.geico.com/insproducts/faq_insprmulti.html

GS
    We've added the Ascender and Rainier to the "What is this discussion about?" category, so people searching for those two models will find this discussion, in addition to the model specific ones.

Steve, Host
    Sounds good Steve, but you might want to add the Trailblazer EXT also, since you have the Envoy and Envoy XL. Wow, 7 SUVs. This family is getting big...
    Rats, we're out of room in the categories....

oh well :-)

Steve, Host
  • polarbear6polarbear6 Member Posts: 16
    They finally got the new switch in for our rear windshield washer wiper. It took closer to two weeks than the 3 to 5 days they originally said. It took about 20 minutes to put in. The washer had stopped working, no resistance in the button, so we figured it to be a switch. Our is a 2002 built 10/01. Does anyone's rear wiper control turn counter clockwise for a single wipe. My husband thought ours did to start with, but I was not sure. It does have a symbol for a single wipe.

I tried the GMLink but had errors. I wonder if everything has to be exactly as their records. Full names and street info. If so it is poor programming. Any thoughts??

I think our vibration ended with the balancing of the tires. Had not had a good stretch of weather to repeat the conditions. Too much snow, ice and WIND.

Polarbear6
  • rorodadrorodad Member Posts: 13
    right from the showroom! gas petal vibration.bulletin says to replace drive shaft.part being ordered. has anyone had this problem and had the vehicle serviced and fixed? what was the solution? please let me know.the vibration drives me crazy as i am constantly aware of it.
    gas petal vibration.bulletin says to replace drive shaft.part being ordered. has anyone had this problem and had the vehicle serviced and fixed?

I would have them re-balance and rotate your tires before going through something drastic like a new drive shaft or having your springs replaced. Remember, dealerships get a lot of profit from warranty work, so they are happy to do these big jobs that may not solve your problem.
    just a follow-up: the dealer did balance all the tires. also,it definitely is not the springs.driveshaft replacement is recommended in the bulletin.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    Hello all Well i just looked at the link and saw the difference between the old license plate holder with the chipping paint and the New fixed plate. Here is the thing i have a 2002 Lt EXT Trailblazer and it has the "FIX" and it is Peeling the rubber sealent is peeling . I will have to wait to have it fixed as the dealership had a fire and will not be fixing cars for at least two months. I am going to another dealership for a problem in the front end of the drivers side Can't really describe it but i am hopeful that they can fix it. I will be going to a dealership that was unreasonable to work with when i had my 2000 venture but it is the only other dealer that will be able to take it.It goes in on Thursday . I will post to tell everyone what the problem is. One more thing the windshield will be fixed on tuesday . they will do the repair at my house so I will let everyone know how it goes. I am having it fixed by safelite auto glasss it is a national chain and gaurentes the work.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    "Does anyone's rear wiper control turn counter clockwise for a single wipe. My husband thought ours did to start with, but I was not sure. It does have a symbol for a single wipe."

No, there is not a single wipe position. I think the icon to the left of the numbers just represents the rear window (and the one on the button, the washer).
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    This same problem is making me nuts. The gas pedal vibrates so much it makes my foot tickle. Do you know the number or the name of the bulletin spelling out the cause of the drive shaft problem so I can go back to the dealer? Thank you in advance.
    Sorry, don,t know the bulletin number. caught a glimpse of it. (i even asked for a copy,but they refused) the top of the bulletin says VIBRATIONS...... my dealer never heard of this problem. (so he says)I told him there was a specific bulletin on this and he found it. I'll keep you advised if i get any info. and I'll let you know if changing the driveshaft does the trick.(it better-i can't take it much longer)
    I'll let you know if changing the drive shaft does the trick.(it better-i can't take it much longer)

Please make sure you let me know if it works, I cant take it much longer either. Thanks
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    For those with the vibration problem, having worked through a vibration nightmare over the past year with our Chrysler 300M, I strongly suggest going to a Dealer or speed shop with a Hunter 9700 GSP wheel balancing plus machine. Balance is just one factor and the Hunter will get as close to perfect as technology currently allows.

It can then check radial forces, which can detect other problems such as wheels with excessive run-out (not an uncommon problem with cast aluminum wheels), tires with bad or moving belts, and tires that are out-of-round.

We had 2 out of 4 original Goodyear Eagles on our 300M w/ a pull and out-of-round and 1 of the 2 replacements. Bought 4 new Yoko YF420s and found 3 out of 4 with pull or out-of-roung problems. Some of these tires wouldn't have been a problem on many cars or SUVs, but w/ a tuned suspension and large cast aluminum wheels, the small defects create big vibration problems.

For a vibration problem I'd get this aspect checked first before I'd let them start ripping away at the drive-train and suspension on my brand new SUV. Just my two cents.
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    My trailer blazer is about to hit 18000 miles and I am thinking about to clean the air filter. It looks like a little bit difficult to remove the air filter box. Especially some of the screws are way way down there. Anyone has done this before?
    I want to remove the air filter so that I can clean it with a vacuum cleaner as regulator maintenance.

Thanks.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I ONLY FEEL THE VIBRATION WHEN MY FOOT IS IN THE GAS RPMS BETWEEN 1200-2000, WHEN I LET OFF THE GAS GOING 85MPH, NO VIBRATION! ALL THE WAY DOWN TO ZERO! TIRES? NOPE? SPRINGS? NOPE? TRANNY? YET TO FIND OUT!!!!!!! Every one keeps saying check this check that, its a tranny problem,torque convertor I think.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Apparently the vibration has affected more than your foot - it seems to have caused your caps lock key to stick! ;-)

Seriously, I have no idea what might be causing your vibration problem. Have you talked to a mechanic?

tidester, host
    Don't get me wrong cebteb, I do appreciate your two cents. I always appreciated well thought out arguments in whatever forum I am involved in. In this era of conservative talk radio where you get 24 hour, around the clock liberal bashing talking heads telling people what to think, it is refreshing to have a forum of competing idea's in a nonconfrontory respectful manner.

Having said that, I don't think your theory of wheel balance applies to us vibrating gas pedal people, and here's why. The steering wheel is dead and rock solid. If their was a hint of balance problem it would be felt here. Frankly I wish it was because it would be easier to get my dealer to take me more serious. He is now taking me more serious since I am the one pointing out the TSB's that address this problem. I agree the springs were a long shot, but for the record, it only takes a 1/2 hour to replace, so no major surgery there.

To your other point, what do I care if the undercarriage needs major surgery, if it fixes my problem, thats all I care about. My Envoy is driven 30,000 miles a year on the expressway and this vibrating gas pedal will make you capable of desperate measures like screaming at the service manager and the dealership owner which will be my last resort (no exaggeration here, this is always a viable option).
  • flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    I have had the Vibrations problem since day 1 of my car. Never felt it on the test drive (of course!), but on my way home from buying the car was the first time I felt it. It seems to be most prevalent in the colder months and usually happens right around 52-58 mph. It seems to be based more on speed not rpm. I have a 2002 TB.

I have had it looked at numerous times, including getting the tires balanced. Nothing. I am scheduled to get the coils replaced, but after hearing on this forum that it doesn't work, I am hesitant to do it.

rorodad: Please keep us up to date. This will make a lot of people happy if the fix really does work! And, it you can get your hands on the bulletin, you will receive forum member of the month award!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Signed,
    Driving me crazy, ready to tear out the gas peddle member!
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    My rear washer no longer squirts water. I have filled the washer liquid chamber under the hood, but I still get nothing from the back.

Any ideas?
    Is their no sacrifice he isn't willing to make for the good of this board?

by tidester HOST Feb 15, 2003 (1:06 am)
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "My rear washer no longer squirts water. I have filled the washer liquid chamber under the hood, but I still get nothing from the back.
    Any ideas?"

Check and make sure the nozzle on the rear wiper arm are did not slide and kink the hose. Others here have had this problem and it turned out to be the rear wiper control switch on the dash had gone bad.
    To everyone who is having the bad vibrations in their gas pedals: Try this, put the cruise control on at the speed at which you feel the vibration through the gas pedal. Take your foot off of the gas pedal and see if you still feel the vibration. Keep in mind now that everything is still the same except your foot is not on the gas. If you don't feel the vibration, it probably doesn't exist except at the point of contact between your foot and the pedal. If that is the case, it could just be the gas pedal vibrating very slightly. Remember, the gas pedal is not firmly connected to the engine with rods and linkages. There is nothing there to dampen any small movement or vibration of the pedal. Try this and let us know the results.

Frank
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    I perused through the list that John posted a week or so ago and ordered the mud flaps and the window visors. Installed both today. The flaps are an unqualified success. Look good with the Bravada logo and will definitely do the job. I'm not sure about the visors. They will allow the windows to be cracked when parked - a big advantage down here in the summer - but they are very noisy when driving with the windows down. I drive with the windows open this time of year, so I'll have to see.
    rorodad: Please keep us up to date. This will make a lot of people happy if the fix really does work! And, it you can get your hands on the bulletin, you will receive forum member of the month award!!

Besides the member of the month award for rorodad, we will carry you around in one of those chairs with two poles that a king is carried on. This will be held aloft by 4 honor guards in full regalia with 7 virgins throwing rose pedals to lead the procession. All this while eager throngs of triplet owners will be waving and cheering and holding their babies up to catch a glimpse of the hero who solved this mystery.

GET THAT TSB NUMBER for the rest of us to reference. Thanks.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Thanks for the pics! It looks like a pretty solid install... better than some of the other ones i've seen. I think I'm still going to hold off for now to see if a bull bar comes out for them.

I raised my headlights slightly and can confirm that the adjustment screw is vertical only. I noticed that mine were a tad low probably due to auto adjustments from the ecas suspension changing the aiming point..
  • polarbear6polarbear6 Member Posts: 16
    icojones: Do you have any resistance in the washer button? Ours did not and they replaced a part in the button, exactly what I don't know, no paper work yet, it was to be mailed. It took about 2 weeks to get the part and 20 minutes to install.

I am anxiously waiting for the weather to give us a break to see if the wheel balancing fixed the vibration problem. Here in Indiana, we have 6 inches of snow and 40 MPH gusts since Friday, which equals 4 to 5' drifts especially in our 300' driveway. Enough of this winter!!
    Here's something from the Associated Press.
    Another positive thing about Onstar.
    I'm sorry the man lost his life but atleast Onstar helped find the scum who did it.

"Three people accused of killing a man in Schenectady, taking his SUV, and then dumping his body in Manhattan were nabbed in Texas after the vehicle was located using an on board global positioning system.
    Daniel Jamison's Oldsmobile Bravada was outfitted with OnStar, which pinpointed the SUV in Eastland, Texas, on Monday. The trio found by police in the SUV were charged with second degree murder Friday.
    Schenectady police said Jamison, 52, was murdered by Stacy Adamson, 32; his Common-law wife, Taryn Blair Adamson, 19, and Chevena Polite, 16, at an apartment in Schenectady. Jaraison had arranged to have sex with one of the women at the house Feb. 1, police said.
    He was tied up and beaten to death over a period of time after refusing to provide the trio with money, according to police. AP"
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    I pulled my '02 Envoy XL SLT a little too far into the garage this week and pushed into the snowblower handle thereby breaking off a small piece of the black grille louver. A new front grille will cost me about $325 tax included. Supposedly that's about 20% less that msrp. Fortunately, the piece of the grille that broke off can be expoxied or glued back on very discreetly once the warm spring weather comes. In the meantime I found out that an after market Denali grille can be had for about $225 tax included. The dealer is ordering it for me so I can evaluate it. I will check it out and report back on what I think of it with the particulars if anyone is interested.
    Overall, I have always been concerned about parking in the street and having other drivers park around my rig by "feel" and I think there is a need for some protection up front and in the rear as well.
    Chris
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    PS. Don't know if anyone else checks out the GM accessory site often but I have long been waiting for the rear air deflector with incorporated brake light to become available for the XL. Looks like it is now available and I will call the dealer on Monday to confirm. I think the rear air deflector will improve the appearance of the vehicle from the rear and may keep the rear window cleaner.
    Chris
    "In the meantime I found out that an after market Denali grille can be had for about $225 tax included. The dealer is ordering it for me so I can evaluate it. I will check it out and report back on what I think of it with the particulars if anyone is interested.
    Overall, I have always been concerned about parking in the street and having other drivers park around my rig by "feel" and I think there is a need for some protection up front and in the rear as well."

Chris the aftermarket grille is probably just an insert that goes ontop of the factory grille to give the appearance of a Denali, but it will hide any defects in your grille. I've seen them and personally didn't like it. But you may. If this is the case and you
    do like it you can get them chepaer online one company that makes them is http://www.putco.com/designer/punchgrilles.shtml. Do a search
    I've seen them for around $120-140

There is protection for front and rear bumpers.
    Manik makes a full front brush guard as well as a Tube Style Nudge Rear Bar http://www.manik.com/bymake_detail.cfm?id=43&tname=GMC
    WAAG also makes what they call a Frontrunner as well as a rear bumper guard http://waag.com/showroom/104.php
  • jyu4444jyu4444 Member Posts: 11
    Why do you guys own these vehicles? Did you not do your homework when you bought these things?