Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• kendridkendrid Member Posts: 97
    "Why do you guys own these vehicles?"

- Thats right, I forgot that the Explorer and Durango message boards have NO problems listed at all... please leave troll.
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    While I'm a Ford guy, my BIL has a Trailblazer, and it's a nice vehicle, so leave these guys alone. Trolls not welcome here.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "Why do you guys own these vehicles?"

Because I just love to watch that Ford emblem get smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror.
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Nuyorkah,
    Thanks for the putco url. I hadn't heard of them before. Their prices are indeed lower probably by not going through the middle man. I had seen the non-logo cut out version on an Envoy last summer and I thought it looked good at that time. But as you said, its a matter of personal preference. I am still a long way from a firm grille purchase. I'll probably concentrate on the front and rear protection first.

I knew about the Waag accessories. I have my eye on the rear bumper guard and black rear tail light brush-guards. For front grille and bumper protection, my personal taste says to go with a solution that is visually low-impact, smallish, and black. My Envoy is Polo Green and appears almost black under low-light conditions so I think it'll end up looking pretty cool. I would have bought Black but was afraid it would be hard to keep clean but Polo Green shows all the dirt anyway.
    Chris
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    I was just about to buy a minivan (Sienna 2004) when my wife tells me that we should buy a bigger camping trailer. Thankfully, just on time. SUV or truck is now required. I look at the Canadian GM Site, and there is finally a decent offer on the Trailblazer LS, with the exact option package I want. This is a vehicle I always liked, but just outside my reach. I am talking to a dealer as we speak, but you guys scare the h... out of me! Should I buy???

What will a different axle ratio do the the vehicle? I know it allows a higher towing capability, but will it make a difference in gaz mileage, engine noise, ride, etc? Anyone with a Trailblazer with 4.10 axle ratio?
  • rpl13026rpl13026 Member Posts: 8
    cparise1 did you get the rear air deflector part #12497618? I checked the chevy site to see if one was available for my 2002 trailblazer but they don't have one listed yet. Any chance this part number listed for the Envoy would work on a trailblazer?
  • sostroublesostrouble Member Posts: 65
    My Envoy was carjacked from my driveway today with me being drug by it though the snow.

My daughter went out to clean the snow off my envoy and warm it up. She was outside for 15 minutes. She walked in the back door and I asked her if the key were still in it. She said yes so I went out the door, in less than 30 second. As I was walking down the steps, I saw someone in it and thought it was my son moving it so he could snowplow my spot. I opened the passenger door and was getting in to tell him I was leaving, not to worry about moving it. I have a very large and long driveway. I was half way in the car when the rear tires started spinning on the ice. I then realized it wasn't my son. With the tires smoking on the concrete I was drug half in half out of the suv to the end of our driveway over 80 feet, when the car hit the street the back end spun around and I rolled out the suv. I pulled myself up screaming to my daughter to call 911.

I called Onstar, and they told me that they couldn't tell me or the police where the car was because I hadn't paid the bill, but I have the cancelled check. They made me give them my credit card to tell the police where it was. They will be getting a call tomorrow for the way they treated me. I didn't have the time to argue it today.

The police were able to chase the envoy down, but it did a 360 and hit several cars in the process. The carjacker must not have known about the four wheel drive. The police took me to it to identify the carjacker and the envoy. They wouldn't let me near it, the closest I could get was about 150 feet away. The back bumper it ripped off and and the front end was up against another car. I didn't get to see the other side.

They then took me to the station where I identified the kid in a lineup. Because I identified him, he confessed and is locked up for robbery and assault and other things, I lost count.

Then I let them take me to the hospital. I have a bad back sprain, alot of pulled mussles. They gave me alot of drugs, so if there is spelling mistakes, I sorry, but I feel a little like I'm drunk right now. I'm still to hyper to go to sleep.

The kid was hiding behind the neighbor's pine trees. This all happened in a matter of seconds.

The police were impressed with the way onstar helped them locate the suv. But Onstar wasted atleast 20 minutes fighting over the bill.

Sorry this was so long, but I really needed to vent.

Debbie
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Wow! That's pretty scary!

I'm glad you weren't too seriously injured and that got the guy!

tidester, host
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Wow Debbie I sure am glad to hear that none of your family members were seriously hurt. I can only hope that the jerk that stole your Envoy didn't hurt anyone else with it on his rampage. You bring up a very interesting point about the Onstar though. So if you don't pay the bill they won't use it to track down your car if its stolen? Or am I mistaken? Again, I am glad that everyone is OK! I hope you can recover quickly. God Bless
  • demodog1demodog1 Member Posts: 8
    I think what Debbie is telling us is that Onstar will indeed track the car in an emergency, but your bill must be paid. As in her case, she paid it by credit card before they would reactivate and track her Envoy. It worked for her and the police AFTER the money was in Onstar's hand.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Okay! Thanks for the clarification! I think that is one of Onstars gleaming points. That is can detect a car if stolen or can open your car doors if your keys are locked in. Unfortunately, none of my cars have Onstar. Oh well maybe in the future?
  • rye78rye78 Member Posts: 16
    Well I am glad that you were not hurt and the thief was caught. I am really glad that onstar was able to track the vehicle too. I have had a lot of problems with onstar tracking stolen vehicles. I am a police officer and I know from experience that Onstar is VERY reluctant to give out any information to the police. what I have found is that Onstar only wants to deal with the owner of the vehicle. But the problem we (Officers) have is that a lot of times the owner is possible hurt and in the hospital so they can't be reached or the time delay between Onstar, the owner and the police is long. By the time we find out where the car is, it's gone and on the move somewhere else. But then again, obviously, it works well.
    I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in there.
  • jyu4444jyu4444 Member Posts: 11
    I have a chevy myself and what a horrible group of vehicles. Fords, well they are not to great either. The name of the game is peace of mind. None of the domestic vehicles give peace of mind.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    None of the domestic vehicles give peace of mind.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've owned an Oldsmobile for 3 1/2 years that has given me peace of mind. My wife had a Saturn for 6 1/2 years that never broke down. How is that for peace of mind?
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "For front grille and bumper protection, my personal taste says to go with a solution that is visually low-impact, smallish, and black. My Envoy is Polo Green and appears almost black under low-light conditions so I think it'll end up looking pretty cool. I would have bought Black but was afraid it would be hard to keep clean but Polo Green shows all the dirt anyway."

Chris good choice in color my Envoy is Polo Green as well. I plan on getting the WAAG Frontrunner and Manik tail light and rear bumber guards in black.
    The Polo Green is tough to keep clean especially with all the salt on the ground this winter here in NY. I am still amazed at how many compliments I get from strangers about how good the truck looks when its all clean. :)
    Here, I have owned 2 domestics. a plymouth reliant and a chevy camaro z28. plymouth was nothing but reliable and well the camaro, I still have it and it is a 93 and has 90000 miles. The biggest mistake I have ever made in a car. 60000 transmition, cap and rotor 3 times (1500$ to repair) brakes, coil, fog lights, and list goes on and on. So if you can name 2 cars that did well and one of them is only 3 and a half years old. Well, good for you but I can name you 2 that didn't. 50% chance of getting a good domestic, well I'amd not stupid enough to take that chance again.

P.S. My brother has a saturn with 40000 miles on it, well he has to fork over 400$ right now to fix some crap. I told him not to buy a domestic.
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Why doesn't everyone ignore this 5 grade English class dropout, and he will slither away. He's just not worth it, frankly.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    jason yu: Get over it, all autos foreign and domestic, have had and will continue to have some problems. Be careful when yu jump to the other side, their problems may not be as insignificant as yu would think.

Frank
    5 grade

I did not proof read my message but oviously you haven't either. 5 grade, what is that.

If you look at consumer reports, you realize what I have said hold true to facts. If you look at the first page of this forum, you'll see recalls upon recalls based messages. How sad.
    Be careful when yu jump to the other side, their problems may not be as insignificant as yu would think.

Yep, and their problems will most likely cost more to fix.
    rpl13026
    Yes, part # 12497618 is listed as the Envoy/Envoy XL part but I have not checked with the dealer to confirm, yet. I don't know if it would fit a TB that's probably a dealer question if the gm accessory site isn't helpful.
    Chris
    new yorker,
    Interesting that we both have green. I have to say that most of the '02 Triplet colors are easy on the eyes. I probably spent more time narrowing down my choice of colors than any other vehicle I've purchased.

I like the accessory combination you're talking about. Maybe I'll reconsider the low front bumper guards like you are getting. They will certainly provide protection in parking situations and still allow that good looking grille and front assembly to be shown off.
    Keep us all posted. I will do the same.

I am from Wisconsin. We have lots of salt here too. But we have had hardly any snow here in extreme southeast WI this winter. As a result, I've been keeping the truck nice and clean throughout most of the winter.
    Chris
    Richlavoie,
    Lots of us haven't had any problems with our vehicles and if you stay connected with this discussion group long enough you'll see people come and go with good and bad stories to tell. Mine is good and I am not alone. But, I would recommend buying the extended warranty, I did it for peace of mind and many folks here have done the same. I have friends with Chryslers and Fords who have had to have their transmissions replaced just after the standard warranty ran out and oh boy were they ticked. I should be covered for this or any other thing that comes along for a long time.

I have an '02 Envoy XL SLT with the 3.42 axle. Supposedly it's better on gas but has less torque--I probably won't ever tow a thing but I could if I wanted to.

My Envoy is the most satisfying vehicle that I've ever owned. Good luck and happy motoring whatever you decide to purchase. Lots of good vehicles to chose from but I like the triplets the best.
    Chris
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Out here in Arizona OnStar has many commercials on the radio with recorded conversations that happened during emergencies whre OnStar is VERY helpful to the police and the injured(where airbags have deployed).

I would think that being more "police friendly" even if the current bill is in question would only benifit OnStar.

But I am not very good at corporate politics and policys.
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    I've been 4 wheeling for the past two days. We have over 2 feet in NJ. WOOHOOOOO!!!

oh yeah, and it's still snowing!
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    While I wouldn't necessarily want the 4 feet of snow that some of the folks back east have been hit with, I'm jealous to hear about someone out playing the snow with their TB. I'd sure love to see a nice 2-footer come through here.

We haven't had 2 feet of snow *total* here in Kansas City, the last three years combined!!! I'm about ready to take a drive north or even south, just to find some powder to go playing in. :-(
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    I live in St Louis and we got a fair amt of snow the other day. Took my 2WD Envoy out into it and it did great! It has traction control & locking rear diff. and that did kick in a couple of times but I never felt the tires spinning or that I was not able to control the car. Good to know that traction control really works.

I did the cruise control test for the vibration noise that 'ficuss' suggested. On the hwy I was going about 60 mph and I turned cruise control on. The humming-vibration noise continued even though my foot was no longer on the accelerator. So what does that mean?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    It seems like the only other possible cause for the vibration people are complaining about, would be aerodynamic. I personally don't have this problem, so it's purely speculation. Here's what has been ruled out, according to earlier posts:
    -Engine RPM's
    -Springs
    -Wheel alignment
    -Driveshaft
    It seems to only occur at certain speeds and tends to vary with temperature. There's not much left to point the finger at except aerodynamic related vibration.
    Could there be a frequency that the engine produces at a specific RPM that could cause the vibration of the pedal?
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I have been driving in snow almost every day since DEC. 02, It sucks, salt all over my TB, IT SUCKS! Its not that the TB or snow is hard to handle, it makes it a lot easier. its all the other people driving! thats whats hazardous! People still don't know how to drive! They tailgate, speed, pull out in front of you! This is in the snow! I think we have had over 95" so far this year! Way over you 4 feet!
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    That's the beauty of a storm like this. We don't get much snow here in NJ any more so when we get a storm like this the roads are empty. At least they were, people are starting to venture outside today.

The last two days the back roads have been empty except for 4 wheelers. Fun,Fun,Fun!

We have 28 inches and I have been exclusively searching for and driving on unplowed roads. Me and the new TB haven't been stuck yet! Knock on wood.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I was not at all impressed by the handling of my '02 Bravada AWD. In our last snow storm here in Atlanta (1/02) we had a considerable amout of snow and ice on the roads. My Bravada was all over the place with the rear end actually spinning and (minor) fishtailing while trying to pull out of my subdivision (flat).

Mind you, I learned to drive in the snow and I'm very cautious with any type of wet/icy driving.

I actually only went about 2 miles down the road and then came back home and drove my '01 STS (Stabilitrak) to the office. It handled just fine.

Again, there was just one snow the whole time I had the vehicle so it wasn't a major deal but I was thinking "What is with this vehicle, It can't even drive well in 2 inches of snow?"
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    hillfla: I mentioned the cruise control test because many posters were saying they felt the vibration only through the gas pedal. Keep in mind there are many reasons for vibrations in cars. I was addressing one of the more frequently mentioned vibes. I still believe the vibration mentioned is of the harmonic resonance type which many cars have. It occurs only at a specific speed. Not slower than that speed and not much faster.

Frank
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    mfullmer - you must have had some issue with your AWD setup then, because my Bravada is every bit as good as some of the best "snow/sand" vehicles I've ever driven... including military HMMMV's and a 1973 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with locking front and rear diffs! The only time you should ever get any kind of fishtailing out of the Bravada's setup is at low speeds when all 4 wheels are on a slippery surface just prior to the rear locker kicking in. Even in those situations, the rear shouldn't move more than a few inches!

I live in NJ as well (26 inches here) and can happily report that I've had no trouble getting around!
  • djp2003djp2003 Member Posts: 3
    I am an owner of a 2003 TB with 9600 miles that also has a vibration condition. The vibration occurs at approx. 55 mph and 1800 rpms. Called the dealer and mentioned the problem and was told it was probably due to wheels out of balance. But since my vehicle has over 7500 miles, having the wheels rebalanced would not be covered under warranty. Is this true? The service tech got annoyed when I mentioned that there was a TSB covering the vibration condition and said he'd look into it. The TSB number I have is #03-07-30-001. Could someone confirm that this is correct. Are repairs covered under warranty? Thx
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    Mfullmer is right, the Bravada will definitely fishtail in the snow. However, I can assure you that it works perfectly fine in the tough stuff. I live in PA and we just got 30" this weekend.

I was also slightly disappointed by the initial fishtailing. That's because the Bravada uses AWD and it uses the rear wheels only until they start to slip. Because of the delay, the rear may kick out before the front tires take hold.

Overall, the Bravada's system works very well. It has standard locking rear differential for added RWD traction, and when the front wheels kick in it goes very well.

It's a compromise, some systems use all four wheels all the time, but they also wear additional components. The Bravada saves fuel and components by working in RWD until the rear tires spin.

--
    Doug
    Thanks Chris. I have decided to go for it. The dealer is asking $600 (Can) under MSRP. I intend to ask for $400 (Can) worth of accessories (mainly, trunk organizer, floor mats, splash guard, etc). It is a LS with 1SB (Remote keyless, side moulding, dark tinted windows, Cruise control).

One of my main show stopper was getting rid of my Grand Am early. This dealer tells me two new things: (1) GM would pay the last two payments if you buy or lease a new vehicle and (2) GM lets the vehicle go at a "dealer price" to the dealer if you return the vehicle early and the dealer is willing to buy it. This supposedly all happen only if you have 6 payments left. Anyone asare of this? What I don't get is why the other 2 dealers never mentionned it!!!

In any case, this is an almost done deal. My last decision is now the color. My familly is split between the Light Pewter Metallic, Sandalwood, dark Grey, or Black. At least, this is a fun decision to make. If anyone had pictures of the TB in these colours, I would appreciate it.

I have to wait until end of May to get it. Just on time for camping season in Canada.

I am now praying that I don't get the vibrating TB... Hope the find a fix for this problem.

Richard
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    My Envoy as I have mentioned before does it starting at 40 mph all the way up to 85 which is as fast as im willing to go. My dealer is looking into weather the drive shaft is the latest culprit. Everyone on the board is also waiting for rorodad to report back since he is having the drive shaft replaced. The one hope I do have is that GMC has recalled drive shafts on a different model so im hoping mine is guilty by association.

By the way we have had snow up to my eyeballs here in upstate New York and my Envoy handles like a dream. My only complaint is that it did not come equipped with a limited slip differential. It is a 300 dollar option that all the other manufacturers throw in for free like Jeep for example. Let me tell you this, I had an old Blazer with limited slip and it was awesome. It could climb the sides of trees. My next SUV will have it because I be ordering it. The AWD drive is nice, I use it under certain conditions. I love the feeling where im ready to fish tale and, poof, the front wheels kick in smoothly and stops it. Using awd isn't that bad on gas by Envoy standards either.

I will keep the board posted regarding my vibrating gas pedal saga and my stormy relationship with my dealer if this isn't fixed. Anyone else who gets it resolved please be kind and post.
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    I would think you should renegotiate that deal. $600 under MSRP is not really a good buy.
    I would think you should renegotiate that deal. $600 under MSRP is not really a good buy.

Does $600 Canadian dollars equal $6000 American? I hope so. Don't they have rebates up there, eh?
  • elliot69elliot69 Member Posts: 9
    $600 Cdn off, that's a joke, I got 10 points off, which according my my math is a heck of a lot more than $600. The other dealers were offering about 9 points off MSRP. Better look around. Where in Canada are you? 02 Envoy SLT, Pewter..........and loving it
    MSRP in Canada is $41,050. I get it at $37,115. So that is $3,935 (CA) under MSRP. I have it $600.00 under rebates (and no, $600 CA is not $6000 US, I only wish...).

I will see an other dealer this weekend and see if he can bring this down any.

The salesman was awesome though. He give me answers in minutes over the internet. I like good service and fast response. So I will check around and see if I can get better. But for close to the same price, I will buy from this guy.

I don't think pricing works the same in Canada as in the US. Generally speaking, prices here are much better to compensate for a very high tax rate. I don't think the dealers have as much to play with.

Eliot, please explain the point system??? I never heard of it before. Pls translate into $.

Rich
  • babyshoesbabyshoes Member Posts: 23
    I bought a Street Scene Speed Grille chrome plated. It really looks good. I too considered Putco but got little out of their staff for support. Street Scene is a more popular brand. My Grille slightly Bubbles out which I like. Install was very easy. I read somewhere where someone bought a putco grille and couldn't get it installed and got terrible post sale support from putco. my truck is pictured on tlauro's site. (timlauro.com)
    Jeff
    Stoughton, WI
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Well I've had a Explorer, Dodge, and now the TB, By far the TB handles the best in snow, so if you think AWD is bad? Its great, you can have it in AWD all the time in barely affects gas mileage, 4wd , for get it. AWD is nice if your rear wheels slip the front try to grip, so you might see a slight fish tail B4 she reacts. 4wd, this TB is like a tank! Its by far the best steering 4wd vehicle I have ever owned! The engine does not fade like in smaller foreign SUV's do!
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I know a bunch of folks will one-up the deal I describe here, but it was what I offered the dealer and thought fair. I bought my '03 Bravada 10/19/02. I had dealer invoice and advertising fee information from 2 reliable sources. The GM rebate for triplets in Colorado was $1,500 at that time.

After checking out the vehicle when the lot was closed (I'd already test driven a new Bravada months before), I phoned an offer to the dealer. I offered invoice less the GM rebate. They provisionally accepted pending our resolving some differences on the invoice price. They produced the right paper to substantiate their version of the invoice price (less than $200 different than my calculations) and I bought the truck for $3,400 under MSRP plus taxes and minus the $1,500 rebate.

I didn't qualify for any loyalty discounts or GM employee/server discounts, so I didn't have those chips to play. They gave in so easily, I think I probably could have made a lower offer and still pulled off the deal.

Note that I was dealing w/ Oldsmobile and I targeted a dealer w/ location problems for selling plus-$30K vehicles. I nixed the dealerships in the upscale areas and those with the biggest name in town. GMC dealers are less inclined to deal, but I think you can work Chevy for a decent deal.

Remember to start at or below invoice and let them try to push that up. Don't start at MSRP and try to work them down. Bottom line, $600 Canadian under MSRP isn't a deal, even w/ mats and nets and other goodies. Shop around. Look when they are closed and deal via phone or internet first. Once you are there, they know you love the vehicle and won't leave w/o it. Good luck!
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    In another forum someone asked about a fix for a spongy brake pedal on the triplets, so I'm curious. Not that this is the correct thing to do nor a permanent solution but, when I notice the brake pedal has more travel than I prefer, I pump the brake pedal the next time I'm parked, with the engine running. Usually after about three or four soft pumps of the pedal there's less travel. This effect does fade and doesn't last long, and I've had the issue on my Bravada along with my previous '98 Ford Explorer. Can doing this procedure mess anything up? I realize that after 13,000 miles there's less brake pad to work with and this will lengthen pedal travel, but it seems like a pressure issue more than a difference in pad material. Can someone enlighten me about the technical reasons behind this, and if there is a permanent solution?
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    I have 3 dummy lights that come on at the same time... They are the Emergency brake light, the ABS light, and the service 4wd light. They always come on in threes. Also, it doesn't happen all the time, maybe once every other day, and if I shut the car off and restart it, they go away. The dealer looked at this already and replaces some sensor, but it obviously didn't work. Anyone know a solution to this? BTW, its an 02 TB LS. Thanks!
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    The amount of material left on the brake pads doesn't affect the brake pedal travel. The friction side of the pad is always in (approximately) the same rest position relative to the rotor as it wears. In other words, when you release your brakes, the pads don't return to a set "zero position", which would give a longer stroke before they contact the rotor when worn; they simply stop gripping the rotor and stay right next to it.
    Jeff,
    You're practically in my next door neighbor up there in Stoughton.
    Thanks for your experiences with Putco. I am just about to take their price list into my dealer because the grille I requested is in and they want me to come and look at it to see if its what I like. I was planning on negotiating with them using the Putco price list. I'll keep everyone posted about what transpires.
    Chris..in Kenosha..
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    My dealership wants me to leave my TB overnight. I would like to avoid this, as I have a 5-month old daughter and don't want to have to bother with putting her car seat in a rental. I didn't think it was such a big deal.

Any advice?