Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    yeah your right...we make a killing on S-plan.

Since you know the all the answers, why did you bother to ask the question? Just go in and offer less.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I don't think I'm going to be able to do better than the S-Plan pricing I'm getting. The pricing for this plan is cut and dried. While it may not be the absolute best price out there, it's certainly a darn good one, and the best part is I get it without any haggling.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Not sure why, but we've lost TWO Mazda dealers in the past year in the Twin Cities area. Just lost another one in the Bloomington area near the MOA. That's where I purchased mine...now I need to go another 10 miles one way to get to a dealer! There is only ONE dealer in St. Paul and that is on the far north side. Anyone else notice a decrease in Mazda dealerships in their areas?
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I detect a hint of sarcasm there, don't I? :)
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    <Muse> Wow! You do bruise very easily :-) </Muse>

I am just asking because I do not know the amounts of the individual items which are included in the S-plan price. My ultimate goal is to figure out how much the vehicle has actually cost the dealer. And that's not invoice price.

You, as a dealer are privy to all the info which I am looking for ... Although, you can always say that you do not want to disclose things :-) Let's just leave it at that ...
    nah, no brusing... java got my sarcasm. Like I said. Go in and offer less than the S-plan and see how ugly you can make your transaction....also, its none of your business what a dealer pays for a car or what any retailer pays for any product..If you really want to know so badly, then pony up tens of millions of dollars it takes to get a dealership and you can find out.
    S-plan deals are not profitable for dealers, so lets try to get them to sell the car for even less...haha.

I told you what the dealer will make on the transaction. You want to believe that we are slaying it. BTW. We make more on an E-plan than an S-plan based upon the structure from mazda...they even charge us a $35 adminstrative fee per car when we sell an S-plan.
    We make more on an E-plan than an S-plan based upon the structure from mazda.

Can you elaborate on that a bit ? Because E-plan price almost 5% less than S-plan. So if you are making $400 profit on S-plan, how is E-plan profit more than that ? Now, I am confused ... :-)
    mazda pays the dealer more on an E-plan than S-plan.

just like with Ford the A-plan (ford employee price) pays a higher dealer commission than the X-plan (ford version of s-plan)
  • jeffatlmjeffatlm Member Posts: 8
    Just got a response from a dealer in Massachusetts saying that he would sell any in stock MPV for $300 over invoice and then take the $2,000 rebate off. I was surprised how up front he was. Anyone but recently in Mass? How does this price sound?

Jeff
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Are you talking about Motorwerks Mazda? They went out of business?? I was planning on getting my MPV there! I test drove an MPV there a few months ago and I was impressed by the salesman I worked with. Oh well... nature abhors a vacuum. Someone will come along to fill the void.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    That is right. Motorwerks Mazda went back under Burnsville Mazda. I thought that arrangement was rather strange when they both were under the Walser name, but had different staffs and same cars.
    I actually got a much better deal at Motorwerks than I could have in Burnsville Mazda for whatever reason. The Burnsville Mazda new car manager thought I was smokin' something when I had told her what I paid for my MPV back in February at Motorwerks.
    Now Motorwerks only handle Lincolns and Mercs at the 494 and Lyndale location. Although, I was told I CAN have my Mazda serviced there. They still have many of the same technicians in the shop...crazy deal. What's even more strange is that MY salesman is still at Motorwerks selling Lincolns now!

Seems that car dealers around here are becoming much more consolidated and owned by only 3 or 4 dealerships! Walser, Denny Hecker, Polar Chev and Mazda to name a few taking over dealerships.

We lost InverGrove Mazda last year and now this one. St. Paul has only 1 Mazda dealer now and "Mpls." has two that I know of.
    Are you in the Boston area or western mass?? Which dealership? Its a pretty good price...but with some bonus money on the line you might even do better...but you must take delivery by monday.

Rich
    Actually there's three dealers in the Minneapolis area if you count Morrie's, Luther, and Walser. Then Polar, in White Bear Lake. Plus there's one each in St. Cloud, Rochester, and Hutchinson (close enough for negotiation leverage if necessary). Walser in Burnsville is close enough to me for convenient service, but Motorwerks was closer.
    Have any of you bought car top carriers for your MPV's? I'd like to buy one that's made of ABS, and is aerodynamic in shape. What are some good ones, and where's the best place to buy them (who has the best prices)?
    Thule's Evo line of kid carriers.. I mean, car top carriers. (Did I say that outloud?)

That or Yakima's almost identical line.

Both are aerodynamic, and stylish.

You can compare them at any REI store, or at rei.com if you're letting your fingers do the clicking.
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    Hi--we're in the market for a small minivan--looking at redesigned Quest, but we always have a soft spot in our heart for Mazda after my husband's late lamented rotary engine wagon :)

I haven't found (haven't read all the posts on this list though) if MPV is going to be redesigned soon, maybe more hp, etc...any leads or insight? Thanks in advance.
    I haven't heard anything official, but with Mazda's normal product cycle being five years and with the redesign last year of the platform on which the MPV is based (626 -> Mazda6), I think it is safe to assume there will be a redesign coming for the 2005 model year--assuming Mazda decides to continue producing the model (and I hope they do). If there were a redesign for the 2004 model year, we'd have seen/heard something by now.
    Is the MPV really based on the 626 pan? ;)

I keep being told that there are no significant changes for 2004 aside from slight price increases. So, don't expect a 240hp motor, or awd, although the specs on the 2004 haven't been released yet.

I believe that the redesign is said to be for the 2006 model year, and hardly even sketches have found their way onto prying hard drives yet. One rumor that keeps surfacing however, is that the MPV won't be called the MPV at the next redesign. Of course everything is subject to change or deletion. :)
    Who makes a service manual for the '03 MPV? I usually buy Haynes manuals, but they're way behind the power curve on MPV manuals. Anyone know?
    Hey--one local dealer says he's got new 2002s left over (would they be test drive vehicles?-- haven't seen them yet, don't know if they're ES or LX).

a pet peeve already: seems you can't get the moonroof without the 4 seasons package? we don't need the 4-seasons. I don't like that at all.

Anyway--basic question: which is a better bet, in your all's opinion: getting an optioned-out LX (we'd want leather, moonroof (preferably without the rest of the stuff with it--although, how good are aftermarket moonroofs?), power adjust seats...can't think of much else...or an ES? I know, depends on the price. But does anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

And of course my other question is how to give it more oomph. I read (can't remember which board--they're all blending into one today!) that some folks were adding K&N filterchargers--although I changed out the air filter to a K&N on our Camry and it made no difference at all...

thanks in advance
    I was pricing some car top carriers from Yakima and Thule. I found the Thule Cascade 1500, and the Yakima 15s Space Cadet, both for around $300. I didn't think that was too bad until I found out the mounting hardware you need to mount the carrier to your roof rack is not included with the carrier. That's another $200-$300. Now it's getting expensive. I had no idea these things cost so much.
    ......at the port facility for a week, is it safe to assume that it's about a week away from the dealership? The closer it gets to arriving, the slower the days go by.
    How hilarious is it? Does it improve anything at highway speeds or is it just a laughing stock?

thanks again
    ...reduces rear end lift while you're traveling at 150mph... ;)

It's cosmetic... but some say it keeps the rear window cleaner. I like the way it looks, personally, especially when you have the GFX package.
  • reformersreformers Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, but the maintenance board has little on the topic of syn. oil. I have a 2002 ES, and want to run syn. oil in it. However, I cannot find 5W-20 in syn. anywhere. The dealer said it's fine to run 5w-30 syn, but I have to say I feel a bit uneasy doing that when even the oil cap (!!) reads, 5W-20. Any suggestions on a manufacturer that makes 5W-20 in synthetic?
    and now I know the spoiler is highly functional :)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    You can use 5w-30 per a tsb that came out last year. There are other MPV related sites out there that have this information available (just Google for it).

FWIW, I do use 5w-30 Mobil-1 in our '02 ES.

-Brian
    Is that what the MPV will become? I just saw it at mazda future vehicles...

Oh please let them reconsider the video arcade steering wheel...

Looks like an Aztek.
    0% for 60 months available on MPV's in the northeast region....other regions may follow.
    The Washu steering wheel ? Oh! Why not ??!! Everything about the Washu is futuristic, in that case why not introduce a radical new concept for steering wheel too ? Don't know how comfortable I would be instead of the usual circle :-)

AudiA8Q: The 0% APR for 60 months means that (obviously) we have to forego the $2000 rebate. Are there any cash-back offer along with it .. Like is it $500 cash-back AND 0% APR financing ?
    nope
    ....at the dealership on 7/14. Getting closer.
    My mind is set on a MPV on my dealer's lot. My vehicle is waiting but CU is processing the loan papers ...

I will try and beat you to it ... :-D
    I may beat you both. I did the (Last day of the month) thing and bought one last night. We picked out a blue LX w/ 4-seasons, rear air, roof rack, cargo net, traction control-side airbag. Edmunds had the invoice at $23,044 - we got $22,999. We are also going to take the $2k rebate and they even gave us edmunds private party sale amount for our trade. We pick it up on Saturday 5th.

Jeff
    .....before I get mine. I feel like the kid who gets picked last for a ball game :(
    I think I'll wait until July 31 to buy my car...what an *amazing* deal! Please give details...did you have to haggle at all? Did you start out lower on the price and higher on the trade and ended up there or did they just pony them both right up?

I'm so impressed. You aren't in Portland OR by any chance, are you? :)
    I know it's futuristic, but I always believe in form following function and I think with that wheel I'd have a lot of getting used to to do...not sure I like that it just stops in places. Hope they change it.

I wonder--if we get a 2003 or 2004 mpv will they look *really* obsolete when the redesign comes out?
    I believe that the Washu is a 4/5 passenger vehicle, and is actually smaller by some degree than the current generation MPV. However, I do like it.
    Sorry, I'm in Massachusetts just west of Boston.

I started the deal with e-mail. They were very willing to move the vehicles on the lot and I did not have to push real hard. The trade was a complete surprise - it was a Taurus which I expected to have a very soft resale. I'm sure they made money on me somewhere in the deal - but I still feel like I did pretty well. If my sale helped them reach another tier in their bonus program - good for them - they made the process fairly painless.

Jeff
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    We've finally joined the club ! Wrote a contract last night on a '03 LX with 4 seasons, moonroof, roof rack, traction/side air bags, rear air, fogs, cargo organizer, rear spoiler, rear step plate, trailer hitch, auto-dim mirror, mud guards and wheel locks. Paid 1700 under invoice before taxes/tags and financed 60 months at 4%.

Price worked out to $300 more than our loaded Forester S+ MT, which we bought 3 years ago. The features on these 2 vehicles are actually pretty close if you swap AWD for traction control/rear air/rear heat, so I think the value for our dollar is quite high. Looking at it that way, we got a 5-speed automatic, 7 passenger seating and a 6 cylinder for free.

Didn't want leather or 17" rims (replacement rubber to rich for me), so we didn't go with an ES.

Should take delivery in a week.

Cheers,

-brianV
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats to the new owners!

I hope we get to say that to Bottgers soon too :-)

Steve, Host
    It has been confirmed at the club that 0% APR for 60 months announced yesterday is available for ALL U.S. regions.

brianV, I think I replied to your post there too :-)
    Took the rebate instead of the 0% financing. As I understand it, you can't have both.

$ wise, it works out to the same money given our downpayment ($2000 in interest at 4% over 60 months). However, since we have the option to pay it down early, we have the opportunity to save money (reduce actual interest expense in dollars), which you can't do if you take the 0% (paying down early won't change you out of pocket). Also, we are in a better position regarding depreciation, since our purchase price is lower than it would have been.

Thanks for the tip, though.

-brianV
  • johnnyojohnnyo Member Posts: 1
    I have been visiting the board for two years and we finally bought our MPV a month ago. We waited until the dealer here in so. jersey had some inventory on LX's with power sliding doors and it was well worth the wait. This is an unbelieveable van, why anyone would shell out an additional $4,000 for a Sienna or Ody is beyond me. The dual power sliding doors are without a doubt the best feature followed closely by the mute button on the steering wheel. With a 2 and 6 year old, getting the kids in and out of the vehicle is a breeze. Going to the beach: five beach chairs, two bags and an umbrella fit perfectly behind the third seat.

I was happy with the price did all of the negotiating via e-mail: LX, rear a/c, roof rack, power sliding doors, step plate and mud guards in sage green. $21,475 + tax and tags, included any dealer cash or incentives.
  • zoompvzoompv Member Posts: 17
    It may be tough to sit by while these other guys pick up good deals from dealer-lot inventory. But on Bastille Day (July 14) your dealer will remove plastic covers from the seats and you'll know that no human has ever sat in your car's passenger seats but you and yours. And the odometer will be a single digit, rather than two or three. Maybe best of all, you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that your MPV's engine has never been raced during the break-in period by someone on a test-drive.

Hang on, man!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you really want to go nuts, tell the dealer not to remove the plastic and prep it yourself. That way you can put the first swirls in the paint on the hood yourself instead of some unknown lot technician with a dirty sponge :-)

Steve, Host
  • matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    Been about a month since I was last lurking & was amazed at the volume & quality of posts. Took too much time to go through them all, but there were some good discussions.

Congrats to all who purchased! wish you many trouble free miles. For those still waiting..hope for a 'speedy deleivery'.

For folks going through/by Duluth, the park with the sand is @ the end of Park Point..almost the entire point is sandy. To get there just cross the lift bridge and drive to the end.

If your already up to Duluth & really need a lighthouse to paint/draw drive up the North Shore to SplitRock Lighthouse. Added bonus..if it's November stop by on the 10th the anniversary of the Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald ***some folks may remember the Gordon Lightfoot song :-)***.

Mat
    Actually, I bought mine off the railhead, i.e. it's not even at the dealer yet, although it is in Denver.

So the only guy who gets to break in my engine is me. I stipulated less than 15 miles in the deal. That's why we won't take delivery until next week.

No way to steer the deal that way, just got lucky.

-brianV
  • zoompvzoompv Member Posts: 17
    bottgers, I forgot to add that you (and bsvoller, too, evidently) also have the opportunity to ask the dealer to leave off that little decal or plaque that advertises the dealership on the back of the car, if you're not too keen to provide free advertising for the next few years.

bsvoller, me too. I bought at the end of the month, and put the dealership over the limit for a bonus. Since I was willing to pay in May for a car delivered in June, the salesman found one with my specs at the port. I would've loved to drive one home off the lot, but as it turned out, it was also sweet to get one that's "all mine."
    Well, good on ya for that inspiring deal, especially the Taurus trade! I'll remember to start with e-mail at the dealership I focus in on. I bet the end of the month was the main thing--and possibly you did push them up a tier--like being the 100th customer or something...

Hope the folks on this coast are as cordial :)