Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I changed my oil last night and noticed the GM Battery has a black eye? Should be green as dark usually means a battery is low on water. Anyone else have issues with their triplet battery?

I've left it outside in some pretty cold temps the past few weeks as my garage has my basement furniture in there while it was being refinished. A couple more weeks until the carpet arrives and then back into the heat, but my concern is the vehicle only has 18k on the clock after about 1.5yrs and it's dark already.
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    I don't know the details of this TSB but there is one out there regarding the battery.

02-06-03-010 OCT 02 Battery - Parasitic Drain Information

If you have access to the TSBs or can ask your dealer you might want to find out what this TSB is in regards to.

Good luck
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    tjcishere1 wrote:

I have a 5/02 build Envoy XL SLT with no dead pedal, i never saw an SLT XL that had one. The truck in the car show didn't even have one. So don't feel bad. Maybe they put it in just the regular Envoy for 2002?
    -------------------------------

I have a 2002 Envoy XL SLT 4X4, build date 2/02, and it has the plastic dead pedal you are referring to. Guess I got lucky.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Speaking of Theft Lock, in my Intrigue I can set a 4 digit code that I have to enter whenever the battery has been disconnected. I could not find anything in my Envoy's manual about entering a code for the radio. How do you do this? I have the Bose single-CD radio, by the way. I would hate to have to pay the dealer to unlock it if I lost power.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    buy out someones lease?? Just wondering if anyone knew if there was such a place . I would love to sell out my lease. Or does anyone one want the Truck . According to one dealership I got a steal of a deal. i am paying $431.00 a month he says for the TB EXT 4AWD With DVD and running boards he is starting at close to$500.00 a month. Does anyone else buy this . I live in the NY /NJ metro area.
  • luxrideluxride Member Posts: 14
    you can try swaplease.com Never tried it myself so not sure of, if any, costs...
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Does anyone elese have the hesitating volt meter gauge. When it is started in cold weather, the needle goes 1/4 of the way up and stops for about 10 seconds and then it goes up to normal reading.
    This must be designed this way for some reason, maybe surge protection ?
    I have to admit I made a big mistake getting this truck but I don't really think anyone else is going to want it either.I jsut might have to wait out the 2.3 years and pray GM gets their act together.
  • luxrideluxride Member Posts: 14
    Well best of luck in whatever you decide to do...Maybe you should start to look into the lemon law or try a different dealer, I know it's a bit of a hike but you might want to try a dealer in the NJ area, I've dealt with Miller GMC in Woodbridge and they have been very helpful.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    The "green" eye in the battery floats in the electrolite solution. When the battery goes bad, it doesn't float up into the window. Try tapping the battery to see if the green eye returns. Sometimes it just gets knocked out of place.

As a side benefit of having the Vehicle Data Recorder attached to my '02 Envoy (to help diagnose my still-unresolved stalling problem), the VDR completely drained the battery after keeping all the computers awake overnight. I had it jumpstarted so I could drive down to the dealer, and everything still worked. The clock reset to 12:00, but no memory settings were lost, and the Bose worked fine.

I feel lucky I don't have the vibrating pedal issue (2WD 4.10 axle 16K miles), wandering mirrors, sluggish alternators, or stuck starters. My dealer attempted 6 times to fix the stalling issue, so now I'm pursuing a lemon law buyback. Otherwise it's been a great truck. When it doesn't die.</rant off>
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    On the tripletts, the Radio is linked to the BCM and looks for a programmed data signal that matches the VIN, so the radio will only work in a vehicle with matching VIN's from the BCM. If the radio is removed or the battery goes dead the radio communicates withe BCM if all matches, no lockout.
  • fladadfladad Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Bravada with 22,800 miles stalled on the highway at 65mph. It restarted and then wouldn't go above 1800 rpm and shifted late with grreat strain. The dealer work order said they did a "Reflash PCM, TAS states re-flash will fix line A&B Cam Phaser Performance Pcm had code 0116. I have no idea what this means and it seems to shift ok now..anyone out there with a similiar prob???
  • calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    Not sure whether my first post was read or not, but I really need help on this...

calucyk Mar 10, 2003 6:40pm
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    I doubt that this had anything to do with your transmission. If the engine could only manage to get to 1800 rpm then your shifts would be delayed.

The engine has variable valve timing (on the exhaust side only) which is what the cam phaser is related to. If you had a problem in that area and the valves weren't operating correctly then you could see a dramatic loss of power. That's just a guess; I would think the "fail-safe" mode of the cam would be some nominal setting and you would just lose the variable timing aspect. You never know, it could have been any of the various control modules losing their mind. This stalling at speed issue is being investigated by the NHTSA (sp?). I'm still suspicious that these shutdowns are "programmed", or at the least the software is extremely non-robust.
    The reason I am dealing with the dealership on Staten Island is because Lucas on rt.1 in Linden where I got the trailblazer had a fire . The service dept. there was really helpful when I went there but this guy over here H&L Chevy is a real jerk. I think they see a woman, think I am just some idiot that knows nothing and won't question them. This is the same dealer I got my 2000 venture from and it had a list a mile long with things that went bad on it ,too bad they never went bad all in one year. Thanks for the info though I will see where Miller is and maybe that is a better answer.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    fladad, did they even address the stalling problem, or did they just gloss over it. Yours is not the first to stall at hiway speeds. The fact that the tranny needed a software reload tells you something big happened. Stalling was just one of the symptoms. Don't let them off the hook without looking into the STALLING. Mention the experiences of those who have posted here prior to you, regarding stalling at hiway speeds. It sounds like they replaced a cars headlights when it slammed into a brick wall, without figuring out why it slammed into the wall.

Frank
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    I'm glad they now include a DRL off option.
    I have the head lamp washers in my '03. I wouldn't of ordered them but they came with the vehicle the dealer found for me. I've yet to use them.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    The DRL off option has always been there. The only difference is you don't have to push the dome light switch 4 times within 5 seconds to deactivate them. Does the DRL switch on the '03 also turn off the automatic headlights, or is there another option?
  • archie34archie34 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 02 TB LTZ and have been having the same situation anytime the vehicle sets for at least 6-8 hours at ~20 F or below. No apparent side effects so far.
  • woodchuckvtwoodchuckvt Member Posts: 2
    Having just purchased a new Trailblazer I'm trying to determine the best setup to carry 2 recreational (14-15') kayaks on the roof (which is pretty tall). Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on this? Thanks.

Dave
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Anyone else notice their engine 'miss' when stopped at a red light? I've only noticed it at idle; after stopped for about 30-60 seconds. Then every minute after that. You can feel the engine shutter, see the RPMs drop.

I have the Envoy at the dealer today and since it doesn't set any code they gave me the standard "we can't find anything wrong".

2003 Envoy SLT, 4.2 I6, 1800 miles, 2 months old
  • kevitrakevitra Member Posts: 20
    Our 2003 XL SLT is now 1.5 months old with 1500 miles. The only problem we have encountered is the vibration in the gas pedal. My wife drives the Envoy most of the time, and she has never noticed it. I won't tell her about it, because if I do she will probably notice it and it will annoy her.

Besides that it has been great (although it is still young).

To the people reading about all of the problems and getting worried: That is what these message boards are for. A year ago I was looking at rear projection TVs. Hometheaterspot.com was FULL of people complaining about problems they were having. I purchased one and have had no problems. Most people don't say anything unless something bad is happening.

Our 99 Grand Prix (74K) and 99 Olds Intrigue (74K) both have been in the shop 0 times. The message boards always had problems with both cars. We have had none. I think it is a matter of luck if you get a good vehicle or not. It shouldn't be that way, but there isn't much you can do (you can buy a Toyota, but they have problems also).
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    I have an '02 Bravada so I'll volunteer to check it out next time I go out, which I'll warn you may be a few days. I haven't had any problem with mine though whereas you have, so I may be missing any special service dept. tinkering around features :')
    Thanks for clarifying that, I was concerned about figuring out how to set the 4 digit code prior to your post.
  • uktruckeruktrucker Member Posts: 14
    and I think I paid the price. After 18 months my Envoy SLT 4x4 proved to be a great design let down by poor quality control and incomplete testing. So I've decided to cut my losses and traded it for a new 4runner. I think if GM has managed to iron out the kinks on the new Envoys I would recommend it - for the price it has a lot going for it. The inline 6 is smooth and powerful and gets reasonable mileage, the ride is cushy and quiet, the Bose Hi-fi is great, nice heated power seats with memory, Onstar and lots of other nice features. To approach these features in a 4runner I've had to pay close to 40K, albeit with a V8. And I still lose things the seat memory, rear seat power socket and Onstar. But for me it was worth it for peace of mind - I think I'm unlikely to get as many problems.

Just for the record, I had the following issues with my early build Envoy, so if any of you are maybe looking to pick one up used check these out:

The dash speakers picked up interference from the dashboard lighting.
    The FM radio seemed prone to "whistling".
    The tranny could be jerky going 1 - 2 when cold. I had the latest software update applied and it seemed worse...
    The engine could be very noisy when cold with a tapping noise evident on part throttle, but it was fine when warm.
    The engine fan still ran on cold startup sometimes despite several software updates.
    The rubber trim above the windscreen fell off.
    The light trim above the rear window warped.
    The driver's seat control module failed.
    The passenger seat belt would pinch.
    The door mirrors would still sometimes fail to return to their proper position despite being replaced in a TSB.
    The passenger door need re-alignment to cure a wind noise issue.
    The wipers would sometimes jerk at lower speed settings.
    The centre console squeaked until an attack of WD-40.
    The heater would sometimes refuse to blow hot air to the feet.
    The A/C sometimes just failed to work at all without restarting the engine.
    A rear door catch broke.
    Rustling noises eminate from the tachometer as the engine slows to idle.
    Rattle areas cured with bits of foam included the glove box catch, the trim on the bottom of the front doors and the top of the plastic trim between the doors.

I don't regard this list as terrible, but it is irritating on a 30+k vehicle and GM can certainly do better. I can accept that first year vehicles are going to have problems, but the fact is I have previously owned a then brand new design Honda CR-V and I never had any problems at all. I chose a 4runner based on generally good experiences in tough environments around the world with Toyotas.

I'll finish by just noting a few design issues I think they still need to address on the Envoy:

The mirrors are too small. The ones on the 4runner give a much wider vertical view.
    The truck rolls a lot in corners, and skid control should be offered.
    The front seats could do with more lateral support.
    The dashboard shape intrudes unnecessarily into the passenger knee space.
    The front cupholders are poorly designed.
    The front seat belt design is poor for tall people.
    Why does the control on the steering wheel change CD's rather than tracks with the Bose Hi-Fi?

With that I guess I'll migrate to the 4runner forum. Enjoy your Envoys, but hang on to that warranty...
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    That is EXACTLY my problem. I have an '02 Envoy 2WD SLT, 16K miles, and it's been doing it since last August. Sometimes the idle drops too low, the engine shudders, then recovers. Sometimes it completely dies and the DIC says "Low oil pressure, stop engine", sometimes I get the SES light, and sometimes no indication whatsoever of a stall except seeing 0 rpm.

On my truck, there is a specific point halfway between warmed up and normal on the temp gauge, where the engine will die if I'm stopped at a light (or rolling from a stop). It seems to happen most often when the engine is cold, but it has also died when fully warmed up. Seems like a software problem since that is fairly consistent, but I have all the updates. Once fully warmed up and stopped, the idle dips about 100 rpm then goes back up, then dips a while later, then goes back up, etc.

It's been at the dealer 6 times for this problem. The throttle body, PCM, ignition, and lift gate modules were all replaced. The Vehicle Data Recorder couldn't capture any info because it drained the battery overnight (it kept waking up all the computers), so be careful if they want to install that in your truck.

My lemon law attorney is now handling this case. I'm hoping to have it resolved soon before I get rear-ended. It was an awesome truck for the first year, and it sounds like there are still quite a few happy triplet owners out there.

Let me know what your dealer says. I only know of one other person on a different board that has this problem.
  • kevitrakevitra Member Posts: 20
    I was curious about the 4runner so I stopped by their forum. I noticed the following threads:

"I have a 2002 SR5 V8 4x4 that that has the same vibration in two wheel drive mode that ricsch reported in discussion #1583!! "

"I have noticed in the morning when the engine is very cold right after starting it seems like their is a slight clanking noise coming from the engine."

Familiar? :)
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for your posting macman246. I hope my truck's issue doesn't turn into a stalling nightmare like yours. Yikes.

I told the dealer to keep the truck the rest of the day and take it out for some more drives. It would falter for me ALL the time. I can't believe it isn't doing it for them. I think I'll take the service advisor for a drive when I pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for your info - this message board provides some good information exchange.

And I think there may be more postings about Envoy issues here because Envoy owners are more intelligent than other SUV owners and know how to use a PC... :-)
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Hi Woodchuckvt. I use a Yakima setup with hully rollers on the rear and cradles in the front. With the hully rollers its pretty easy to get the boats on the roof single handed. With the hully rollers you just lean one end of the boat between the rollers, pick up the other side and slide it onto the front cradle. I would stay away from regular cradles on both front and back however. You would need two people to get the kayak on the roof in that case. These cars are pretty tall so if your paddling partner is an average height female, then she might have difficulty lifting it onto the cradle which will be several inches higher than the roof.

They're not cheap however. They'll probably cost you roughly $300 for all the various pieces to carry two kayaks. A good investment though to avoid scratches and other accidents. You can see what they look like at:
     http://www.yakima.com/products/dynamic/8004028_3.html
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    And I think there may be more postings about Envoy issues here because Envoy owners are more intelligent than other SUV owners and know how to use a PC... :-)

I AM OFFENDID BY THIS STATEMINT I DONE OWN A TRAILBLAZER AND I IS REEL GOOD AT USIN KOMPUTERS AND STUFF. YOUS GMC PEEPLE THINK YER BETTER THAN US JUST CUZ YOU OWN A ENVOY AND IT HAS A FAKE WOOD INTERIER. YOU GUYS IS DUMB.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Our 99 Grand Prix (74K) and 99 Olds Intrigue (74K) both have been in the shop 0 times. The message boards always had problems with both cars. We have had none.

Hey, we've got something in common! I have a '99 Intrigue GL and an '03 Envoy XL SLT. Anyways, it sounds like your Intrigue has been less problematic than mine. I'm already on my third battery! I'm very happy with it though, great car.

YOUS GMC PEEPLE THINK YER BETTER THAN US JUST CUZ YOU OWN A ENVOY AND IT HAS A FAKE WOOD INTERIER. YOU GUYS IS DUMB.

I resemble that!
  • hassmeisterhassmeister Member Posts: 7
    This is the first American vehicle I've owned since'77. The Envoy has great power from the 4.2 liter. The transmisssion/engine tend to drone on the highway. The HVAC system sucks in Auto, never works right. The windshield rain sensor is worthless (give me a stalk and make it manual). The HVAC/Radio blue light display is HOT to the touch if you are on a long drive. HID headlights should be offered. A friend put aftermarket bulbs in the stock assemblies and cooked the wire leads and they were only 70 watts as compared to the 51watt stock. The wood grain trim inside is cheap at best. What's professional grade? Where is it?! Obviously true passionate driver's or car enthusiats did not develope this vehicle. I had to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with the service manager to get good service after my first visit where I was treated rudely and they tried passing the buck on sales dept. I guess I'm spoiled... having owned German vehicles for years now and getting great service. This might be the last American vehicle I buy. Detriot should go to Germany or Europe and get some pointers what near perfection is. Maybe I should have bought the Ford Explorer intsead?!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Did you hear about the Envoy owner who ran an air hose from the load leveling compressor to the bottom of the drivers seat so they could inflate their egos while driving?

Relax, it's just a joke.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I understand your venting, however there are some things to consider with the points you've made.

"The transmisssion/engine tend to drone on the highway."

Tough to understand what you mean as it's relative. I hear no drone from either when on the highway. Only when I depress the gas and hear my intake do I hear any roar and that's a good roar :)

"The HVAC system sucks in Auto, never works right."

This I can relate to as I had my share of issues with the HVAC. Seems there have been a number of software upgrades and my guess is you need one. I've had my LTZ since June of 2001 and have gone through 3 so far. These are improvements to something that we all hope would work perfectly, but come on...I average a new car every 2 years and worked in the business. This is a first that a manufacturer has offered so many easy fixes like GM has for the HVAC system in the triplets. Seriously.

"The windshield rain sensor is worthless (give me a stalk and make it manual)"

My wife had a Benz with Rainsense and my LTZ works every bit as good. Not sure what you could be having issues with, but again, mine has been flawless.

"The HVAC/Radio blue light display is HOT to the touch if you are on a long drive."

Nothing new...my GTP is the same way. Right or wrong, I've never burned myself..but then I don't find myself touching them either.

"HID headlights should be offered."

Perhaps, but you can't really slam GM for that as you new it prior to your purchase. Besides, HID's do add quite a bit to the costs upfront and repairs. There are trade-offs.

"A friend put aftermarket bulbs in the stock assemblies and cooked the wire leads and they were only 70 watts as compared to the 51watt stock."

Again, not a GM thing...he was pretty lame for doing so. It's a common upgrade. Better warn him about his ceiling fixtures as his house too. Same thing or worse will happen there too.

"The wood grain trim inside is cheap at best"
    Outside Benz and some high end imports...most aren't real wood. The Envoy actually looks pretty good. Cheap is what Toyota puts in the Corolla.

"What's professional grade? Where is it?!"
    I'll let everyone else fill this in. There are tons of heavy duty upgrades. Especially when comparing GMC's to the imports that are more road worthy vs ours that can go offroad. Even if not used....there are features that make the Envoy/TB's pretty darn tough.

"Obviously true passionate driver's or car enthusiats did not develope this vehicle."

Interesting comment. Not sure what clues tip you off to this? What characteristics are tell tale signs of development by such folks? From what you've described, the Camery and Accord would fall into that group too. I disagree with that being applied to any of the three.

"I had to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with the service manager to get good service after my first visit where I was treated rudely and they tried passing the buck on sales dept. I guess I'm spoiled... having owned German vehicles for years now and getting great service."

That's a dealer/People issue, not just a manufacturer issue. Our dealerships went through ups and downs depending on the employees and what not. The dealership(s) my vehicles go to are awesome.

"This might be the last American vehicle I buy. Detriot should go to Germany or Europe and get some pointers what near perfection is. Maybe I should have bought the Ford Explorer intsead?!"

All of the Big Three are associated with the imports in some way. Just ask BMW where they get a lot of their tranny's. Saab? Daimler who? Jaguar/Volvo? hmmm...I could on. Not sure what you meant by the Ford Comment either. That's definitely not a move towards the import qualities you're in seach of.

Good luck with your vehicle. We all need to vent now and then.

Regards.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I have to object to calling German vehicles near perfection.

Audis and Volkswagons are some of the most problematic vehicles out there. Worse yet, the repair costs are astronomical.

Also, it isn't fair to compare the dealership experience of GMC to a luxury brand. When you pay 50 grand for an X5, of course you'll be treated well. Maybe you're right about being spoiled.
  • kurth1kurth1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 TB, 2WD. I have the same issue with hesitation. If the truck is in park or idling for 30 - 60 seconds and I gently press the gas, the truck will bog down, lights dim...etc.. then pick back up to around 800 Rpm and drop to the normal 600. If I stomp on the gas, it really isn't noticable (I'm thinking this is what a service technician would do so I haven't taken it in). I wonder if the hesitation would explain the sluggishness when hitting the gas on the highway.....
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Okay I know this is shocking but my Envoy XL SLT has been trouble free and I still love it. The ride, handling, comfort, climate control, traction, have all been superb. Original engine is intact-- again this may shock some readers:)

Happy motoring.

Chris
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Nice post and rebuttal to hassmeister. Very well thought out and very articulate. Both of you actually had interesting things to say, but tlauro, that is some mighty fine prose you have.
    O.K. Tony, I tested my park assist mirrors and I could find no flaw with their return position. Just to be critical I made little movie files on my camera to check the starting position of movie one and the finishing position of movie two by opening them in separate windows. If there's a discrepancy I'm hard pressed to see it. If your interested in seeing them here's the links, park assist movie 1 and park assist movie 2. One useful purpose I thought of for the movies is if anyone's getting some bull from their service department about that's how the park assist function is supposed to work and yours is messed up like Tony's, you could show them how it's supposed to work.
  • garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    Didn't bother renewing my OnStar (mostly becaues I forgot) and let it expire. Tonight I got a call from OnStar and they offered me either 100 minutes of phone time or 3 months free for the same price I would have paid for a renewal. With the 100 minutes, it's <almost> a good deal, so I renewed. If you're on the fence about renewing or not, don't renew and wait till they offer you a better deal.......YMMV
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    No offense, but those Husky floor mats with the Checkered Steel Plate (CSP) design just don't look compatible with the semi-luxary interior of the Bravada. The WeatherTech carpeted mats are a much more attractive after-market floor mat. I don't mind CSP. I spec'd a lot of it as a young refinery engineer many many moons ago. IMHO it just doesn't go with leather bucket seats.

However, if Husky wanted to make some quick sales, I'll be a lot of us triplet owners w/o the dead pedal cover would be willing to buy the dead pedal piece of the Husky liner for about $20 to $25. I'd just Velcro it in place. Now that would be a real target market solution. I hope some of these after-market firms scan these forums for ideas. There is money to be made here.
    The real beauty of the deep dish rubber mats versus the carpeted mats is sand and mud, which there's plenty of to share down here in the gulf coast. Then there's the rain soaked, to the point that the carpet won't absorb any more water so it runs off into the floor board carpet. Snow would be just as bad I suppose, I just never get any. Nothing beats pull out, hose off, and dry, but most of the time if all the debris is dry vacuuming is all that's needed. I've done the beat the sand out of the carpet dance after going to the beach more than I ever care to, not to mention Tim Allen's shop vac isn't powerful enough to really get all of the sand out. Then there's gum, grease and __________.* IMHO stained carpet mats just doesn't go with leather bucket seats :')

*This area has been left blank intentionally for you to fill in with anything that ever took you longer than 15 seconds to remove from carpet :')
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    When a TSB is issued for a car, does the fix get incorporated into future production cars as soon as the TSB is released?
  • woodchuckvtwoodchuckvt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot. The Yakima setup with the Hully rollers and Mako saddles is exactly what I was looking at. It looks like I'll also need the Railrider 1 and 58" crossbar (for two kayaks). Thanks again.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    I'll have to try that; mine is up for renewal now. Unfortunately, I'm in one of the few places in the country where the personal calling option is unavailable. That makes for even less of a reason to renew.
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    I purchased a new Envoy last week and I just read about a $1000 rebate for GM loyalty. The dealer never told me about this rebate.. Is there something that can be done after the sale? Thanks!
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    I too am in Colorado and about to pull trigger on SR5 V6.Noticed V8 posts using 85 octane.Anyone using 85 octane in the V6?
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    Sorry for the 4Runner question. Thought I was in the Toyota room.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Those front-end crash reports are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to repair costs...
    I had the displeasure of being involved in a minor multi-car non-injury accident on Monday afternoon. We were just starting to move after being stopped at a light, and the driver of a minivan decided to hit their brakes for no apparent reason (light was green and nobody in front of them), leaving the vehicle behind them (a Nissan Pathfinder) nowhere to go but into the minivan's liftgate. In turn, I skidded into the rear-mounted spare on the Pathfinder.

The mounted tire proceeded to eat my front grill, bug shield, hood, and part of the front bumper cover. The headlight assemblies and PIAA bulbs were spared. The driver side front fender was also pushed back into the driver side door. The spare took most of the impact, as we never kissed bumpers and the airbags did not deploy. Things under the hood were shifted somewhat and unpleasant noises could be heard, although there were no visible fluid leaks. Police showed up relatively quickly and we managed to make the afternoon traffic report as we kept things down to one lane for about an hour. (most of it was spent waiting for tow truck to arrive)

Damage to the older Dodge minivan: a broken tail light, a dented liftgate/rear bumper. Damage to the Pathfinder: minor damage to front bumper, a tear in his spare tire cover and a dented tailgate from the impact. Both of the other cars were able to just drive away. The Envoy was not drivable and was towed away on a flatbed to the nearest GM Bodyshop. My insurance company (GEICO) was outstanding. I had them on the phone while waiting for the tow to arrange for repairs. The adjuster called the next morning and had approved repairs by noon. (current repair estimate is about $4,000 pending them finding any additional damage) The dealership body shop (Team Chevrolet) is expediting the repairs to minimize the time I'll spend in a rental car. Will hopefully have the Envoy back on the road by the first or 2nd week in April.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have Yak racks too, but I was able to get a deal on mine. The other "main" rack competitor is Thule.com so you may want to check them out too. Still pricy.

Steve, Host