Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Installed it and drove it for three weeks. "Seemed" to make a difference. Had to take it in for recall (2002 Envoy), so I removed it for that. They updated the PCM to 2003 specs, and it ran totally different. Put the chip back in, "seemed" to make a difference again. In reality, the chip makes the engine seem like it's pulling harder from 4-6000 rpm, but its not. I ran 0-60 times with and without the chip. NO DIFFERENCE ! Btw, about 400 miles after installing the chip three separate times, the feeling of pulling harder in the upper rpm range goes away, which could support the theory of the PCM trying to reset the chip mods back to factory specs. My advise...spend the coin elsewhere.
    Tom
  • marspecmarspec Member Posts: 6
    johntr -- My tires are Michelins - blackwalls all around.
  • gokayakgokayak Member Posts: 5
    Hello Seiford

Did you perform #10826 fix for wind noise - if so, did it work?

Thanks

Also, thank you to GAM for giving me some direction with my very annoying problem. Eack time I hear the noise, I feel very taken from GM. I failed to mention that when I test drove the vehicle my salesman immediately asked me what was my favorite radio station and proceeded to put it on - I am probably reading into this too much but feel as if he knew of the wind noise problem. I also did not exceed 40 miles per hour in the test driver, which I so sorry I did not.

Thanks though for your help.
  • dse1dse1 Member Posts: 22
    JUST got back in the house from replacing the fuel filter. Quick and easy, but even after depressurizing the fuel lines, the filter is still FULL of gas, and still a trickle from the in/out pipes. cost: ~$32 (for two filters) + $5 shipping from parts direct... didn't even need the fire extinguisher!
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Yep I expected the reaction, just wanted a 2nd opinion, There was a nice WAAG front bumper guard on EBAY!!!!! Already got the tail-light guards!!!
  • penny14penny14 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone experienced this problem? My 02 Bravada has about 45k on it. When I parked it last night all was well. When I started it up this morning, all was well with the exception of the clock which was re-set to 12:00. Wondering if I should call the dealer or not. Great vehicle - love it now that the bugs have been worked out.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Either the radio momentarily lost the constant 12.8 Volt source that keeps the clock running, you have a failing battery, a failing radio unit or a loose connector somewhere. If in warranty (I think the Bravadas came with a 5 yr-60K warranty) take it to the dealer and let them sort out the problem. That'd be my suggestion.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    I usually check my tire pressure once a month on my 2003 Envoy SLT XL. Well, now that the weather is starting to change here in Ohio (and I hadn't checked my tire pressure since the middle of August), I decided to check all four tires today. Also, I noticed that the handling felt a little sloppy lately along with a LOT of tire squeal and burning rubber when turning the corners.

Surprisingly enough, I usually run 35 lbs of pressure in each tire. I checked them all today and the lowest had 26 lbs of pressure! I was shocked! The pressure varied per tire, but were very close to 26 lbs. Does the change in temperature change your tire pressure that much? Well, I took a gamble and filled each tire to 37.5 PSI and now she rolls good as new again! No tire squeal when cornering, etc. Also, it seems a tad bit more responsive and accelerates quicker than it had earlier. The ride is a little stiffer, but not punishing at all.

Just a suggestion that if you notice a deterioration in handling (sloppiness and squealing), be sure to check your tire pressure!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I've read that air pressure in tires can drop up to 1 lb. per month and 1 lb. for every 10 dg. drop in outside air temp. It is time to start checking tire pressure. Keep in mind, tire pressure may still drop 4 to 5 lbs. between now and the dead of winter, at least in the northern snow belt. This is one area where tblazed has an advantage over the rest of us.

Frank
  • discofeverdiscofever Member Posts: 34
    Inflate Tires with NITROGEN instead of air! For smoother ride and longer life... Up to 25% longer tire life. Tire maintains cooler temperature and is less resistant to dropping pressure. There is a noticeable difference in the ride seems as if the vehicle floats.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Put enough in the the vehicle will be nearly weightless, improving performance and economy.
    Fill up a hog and pigs will fly!

GAM
    nitrogen, make sure you park on the grass. That way, if they leak the grass will get greener and you'll be aware of the leak sooner.
    Thanks for the suggestion discofever, but I think that I would feel safer using just regular air in my tires. That way, I can have the pleasure of utilzing my digital tire pressure guage each month just to ensure that I am getting my moneys worth!

;-)

Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • lovemytblazerlovemytblazer Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to post a positive post.
    I LOVE IT! I have had it a month and have now put over 3000 miles on it. I was terrified buying it after reading the negative posts on here, but went ahead and traded in my Grand Prix Gt on this. It is wonderful for long trips, and if you dont like Mini vans, (me) This is great, it seats 7 easily and we are comfy. I highly recommend a Extended now avaliable in 2003's.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Put enough in the the vehicle will be nearly weightless...

LoL! Actually, you are thinking of Helium. Obviously Nitrogen isn't lighter than air because it essentially IS air! (about 79% of it!)

tidester, host
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Air is already 78% nitrogen.

It won't make grass greener.
    That would require certain nitrates.

Nitrogen is best used bubbled through a pint of Guinness.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Ummmmmmmmm, yeah, air is mostly nitrogen. I think we're all just messin' around with putting it in tires. BTW, helium makes my voice sound squeaky,
    would that do the same for my Envoy if I used it in the tires? I bet GM has a TSR out for just that problem....................

GAM
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I live in Northeast Ohio and check my tires regularly ( every other fill up ). This time of year there is normally a drop in tire pressure. The service stations in my area charge .50 to use there air compressors. Not a lot but it used to be free and now comes to about a buck a month in the fall & winter to fill up my tires. If the tire really maintains a cooler temperature and is less resistant to dropping pressure I would be interested in finding out what the cost of the nitrogen would be and where I could purchase it.

~Ken
  • kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    Ficuss
    "I've read that air pressure in tires can drop up to 1 lb. per month and 1 lb. for every 10 dg. drop in outside air temp"
    I checked last night. I filled up exactly 6 weeks ago to 35 psi(air temp that day was 82.4). Last night all tires were at 28 psi (temp 42.8) So that was 7lbs over 40 degrees or 1.75 per 10 degrees. I guess they would expand at the same rate if it warms up as well or maybe slightly at higher elevations.

lovemytblazer...I would appear that you've made your first post at one of the boards most brilliant moments lol
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I found a GM OEM XM "ready" radio with 6 cd changer for sale. Delphi build date is 3/03. I don't know what it came out of. Do all GM trucks/SUV's use the same radios? Looks exaclty like the '04 GM XM radios. Will this fit/wire directly to an 02 LS trailblazer? Do I need to also get an separate XM reciever box that is not in the radio? I know I would need to get the antenna. Is this radio like a HDTV where you still need a decoder settop box for the HD? I know I would have to pay the $10.00/month subscription.
    You need to check with your dealer first and find out about getting the radio and its theft lock feature programmed for your truck. Otherwise if you just put it in, it will see a different VIN than what it was originally programmed with and go into "lock" mode. They don't make it easy.

Read up on it here:
    What Happens when a Radio is Swapped? 9-01 Techlink
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    over 10,000' in elevation and it would drop to -33 degrees farenheit, my tires would sometimes look extremely low in the mornings before heading out, but I never checked the exact pressures for fear that my fingers might freeze and fall off. Gotta have priorities. Kenym, at those air prices it might behoove you to buy a walmart rechargable air compressor. I have one and use it for everything from boat inflatables to car tires. It's a little slow on a large volume thing like car tires, but has a nice guage and does get the job done eventually. I need to re-ask a question I posted here before...can anyone speculate as to when meaningful incentives might start to show up for the 2004 models? I think there are some smallish ones right now ($500-$750 - Oh, and I'm talking about an Isuzu Ascender, by the way), but I'm talking more about the ones where you can go in and talk about 5-10k off sticker.

Jim
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    A Word of Advice for Ken: Put your money into an air compressor instead of nitrogen. What a great tool to own, and it opens up a whole new world of additional tools to purchase. Air Tools!!!

I got to buy myself a compressor for father's day this year. Now I check the tires in our three vehicles every weekend. Up a little when going on long road trips. Down a little when puttering around town. Up a little when hauling a ton of cargo. Etc, etc.

Granted, It will take me the rest of my life to offset the cost of the compressor and all of the tools versus what I would've spent at $.50 a pop at the gas station, but at least I'm happy and it's another excuse to play in the garage, which keeps my wife happy.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the reply. I think I've seen your white LS on another site. Looks like you have a little lighted rectangular box below your HVAC controls. Is this XM radio? Has anyone else hooked up an aftermarket XM radio to the triplets, and were there any problems?

I will be traveling more in the TB and I enjoy the digital music stations (commercial free) that I get through my cable company at home (can't find a cable line long enough for the TB). The XM radio seem like a better idea that trying to download and burn cd's for .99 cents per song (legally).
    don't forget the 6 weeks, that's 1.5 lbs. lost due to time. Now you are looking at 5.5 lbs. lost due to temp. change. The book wasn't off by too much. Besides, is the standard unit of measurement in Canada PSI?
    Kenym:

I live in Columbus and trust me, I have found several service stations that offer FREE AIR! Maybe it might be worth a trip to search out nearby service stations in your area that may offer a free air filling station?

Personally, I would love to own a compressor too, but at the same time, it's like an automatic reminder whenever I hit the service station to fill up with gas. Although, I quite often will skip "checking the oil" but, this usually allows me a chance to walk around the vehicle and inspect for scrapes, scratches, windshield wiper blades, etc.

Just my .02 cents!

XM Radio: To those out there with XM radio, how do you like it? I've toyed with the idea of purchasing the Delphi in home boom box system with receiver, but at the same time I would rather have a more permanent OEM type solution installed into my Envoy if I were to go that route? Also, what about the SIRUS radio systems? I've been browsing a couple other auto manufacturer websites in hopes of selecting my first sports car for summer 2004 and I have noticed that Infiniti (G35 coupe) and Nissan (350Z Roadster) all offer the luxury of choosing between XM Radio or SIRUS? Is one better than the other?

Thanks!

IExplore2000
    You might have seen a pic of my TB with my dual-band amateur radio transceiver install. That's what the display is below the A/C controls - the control head.

Seems like Delphi has an aftermarket XM radio that "might" interface with these radios we have in our dashes. Surely someone here has done this. Anyway good luck, let us know what you get!
  • discofeverdiscofever Member Posts: 34
    My envoy has an air compressor that came with it, I love it... especially for those hard to fill kid toys that just take your breath away...

But in all fairness, my Envoy XL rides on standard air in the tires. My other vehicle does have Nitrogen(N2)filled tires that use to be filled with standard air. I did notice a ride difference from the moment I switched. The tires are always cooler after any drive. The ride is smoother too! it was much bum pier prior. My Envoy is fine with air for the moment.
  • ross1962_99ross1962_99 Member Posts: 48
    " seems as if the vehicle floats. "

Mine floats better when I use helium.
    ..ficuss "Besides, is the standard unit of measurement in Canada PSI?"
    No it isn't, kilopascals is the standard but the
    air pumps (free) have both units, gas is in
    liters and the weather man is also metric. Millimeters of rain, K pa atmospheric pressure etc. I set all read outs on my Envoy metric but switch to understand where you guys are at (see host i'm on topic). As a matter of fact grocerys are sold in both units. Standard? What standard. Yes we are very metric 99% but that would depend on who is asking and what is being sold. I work in commercial construction. The drawings i'm looking at today are imperial...yesterday metric and I sell in sq/ft. Not only are things sold in both units, labels on products are in French and English? Didn't you guys shoot a rocket at something (Mars?) that ran out of gas because some idiot mixed his units up? When posting here I always would try to respect your system.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Didn't you guys shoot a rocket at something (Mars?) that ran out of gas because some idiot mixed his units up?

Actually the problem wasn't running out of fuel - it was too much thrust being applied due to mixing English and metric units of force. The probe went down in a blaze of ... well it wasn't exactly glory!

tidester, host
    There was also a plane that had to make an emergency landing after running out of fuel. The reason was the fueler used pounds of fuel instead of kilograms. I believe the plane landed safely in Canada.By the way, I heard about this incident while riding in my 2002 Chevy TB which has no mud flaps or running boards or lift kits. (so as to keep on topic)
  • tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    i have a 02 Envoy XL ordered a Waag brush guard everything was going fine installing it today, then i took the grill off and they give ya brackets that connect under the grill between the bumper and the grill, looks to me like the bracket i have comes up about 2" and now the grill wont come all the way down and line up with the original holes to mount it. any one else have this happen to them thanks for ur help
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here and I would like to add that with 75,000 miles on the TB -LT I've been basically pleased with the overall vehicle. I have to admit that I'm a little worried the closed that I get to the magic 100,000 as then the engine comes out of warrenty but I believe that I'll get rid of this and buy again.

The last service stop about 2,000 miles ago, the dealer perfromed warranty work and reprogrammed the instrument cluster as per the TSB or recall. Now the blasted climate control has it's own mind--turns on when it wants and off also! Any ideas out there? Dealer claims that they want to investigate ---at about $85 and hour! Can it be reprogrammed to what it was before? I had no problems with the instrument panel of this prior.

Also the muffler went in the TB at about 45,000 and it keeps eating baffels out of the Mineke replacement at a rate of about 1 every 3 months. The poor Mineke guy keeps replacing it for free but I think that it's going to stop soon. The dealer wants $600. $466 for the part and about a buck fifty to install--way too much in my book.

Has anyone had to change 1 yet--aftermarket hopefully?

All have a great day!!!
    If you were going to keep the vehicle for a few more years I would highly recommend the Borla all-Stainless Steel system - 1,000,000 mile/ Lifetime warranty. Nice mellow sound. Or you might look at the JBA cat-back in Stainless, about the same price as the OEM factory muffler you quoted, but it appears to use a straight through main muffler and no resonator. Might be too noisy.

If you were local I could probably be talked into making you a deal on my factory muffler I took off with less than 10K miles on it. It sits in the attic out in the garage collecting dust. Doesn't Mineke sell a stainless steel muffler?

Interesting comment about the instrument panel reprogram recall and the after effects. A friend took his in back when they first sent out the recall letter, and they somehow "crashed" the programming on his, had to take out the instrument cluster and send it out for repair! 3 days without his TB for a 10 min reprogramming. Mine is still original, and I have never had a problem with the instruments not working. I am sure they will insist on doing it if I need to take it in for any other problem, since it is supposedly a safety related issue.
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    and they are great. Should have bought them a year ago when my '02 Envoy XL SLT was new. I now rest my left foot with peace of mind.

Great to see the boards active again and I have to chime in that I love my Envoy. Almost 29K on it and it drives and looks good as the day I drove it out of the dealer in May '02.

I have the license plate gasket thing going on and will take it in to get fixed soon. That's about it.

An earlier post recommended Chrysler mini vans. A friend and his wife won't buy another Chrysler mini van--had to shell out about $2K for a new transmission just after going out of warranty. His wife is convinced going Japanese will cure it all. Been to the Toyota discussion group lately? They were talking LEMON LAW over there the last time I looked (has been a couple months.).

Chris
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    tblazed, where are u located? May be worthwhile getting it UPS'ed. I'm in Jersey. Mineke has given me everything that the local Mineke has. Seems that the 3" just id too much for the muffler. Actually, I had gone to another auto supply store and the same dealer that I use is asking them for replacement mufflers. Walker has none to date and it appears that either the TB is too new or no aftermarket manufactures makes them yet. This really sucks as I have never had a muffler go at that low of mileage and the dealers want your next born to replace it!!!

Yeah, seems like I'm the pilot program sometimes--interesting--. Nuyorker it appears has alot of very good answers to a lot of good questions. Would really like to hear his viewpiont on the climate control.

Thanks tblazed!
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Hello Gokayak:

I worked on the wind noise issue a couple days ago. I gave the driver's door the GAM2 treatment (foam and RTV).

I gave it a road test today and while there seems to be less wind noise, it's still there. And annoying. I'll keep experimenting.
  • snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    i ordered an 04 envoy sle the other day through my dads work. my question is if i get the 1sb package, does that come with onstar? some places i read say it does and all the envoys with 1sb as the local dealer have onstar. however some places DO list it as a seperate option. with 1sb you get the auto dimming mirror and on that are controls for onstar. so yeah im confused bout this. can someone let me knwo?
    Before doing that, (probably cost at least $35-40 just to ship it from Dallas, plus packing the beast- it's big and heavy) I would suggest looking for one locally in a salvage yard. A good "vehicle recycler" should be able to do a search and find you a used one. With 700,000 triplets sold there should be a few good used ones around.

Borla might have a stainless muffler that would fit. The one on my system has a full 3" inlet and two outlets for the duals, but it is possible they could make the same size muffler with a single outlet.
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    The standard Envoy is the SLE and I beleive that you can get OnStar as a stand alone option for $695. It also is part of a package.
  • ees1996ees1996 Member Posts: 31
    I took the truck to a different dealer and they are replacing the engine no questions asked. They just stated that the previous dealer did not put the engine back together correctly. The number two bearing was spun. They will have it done in a week. Thanks Fellow Triplet owners once again for the advice.
  • bobl8bobl8 Member Posts: 6
    When the wipers went dead on my '03 TB, the service advisor said "You mean we haven't fixed them for you yet?" Nuff said? They may be running out of wiper motors because they are rusting out at a rapid rate-but if the part is in stock, it's a one day fix.
  • medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    I've heard about this problem a few times and I'm wondering if it applies to all the triplets or is it just the TB? Doesn't seem likely that GM would use different motors for the different versions, but maybe there is something different. Have any Enoys had the problem?
    red927- Right you are. I glanced at the GMC-Envoy web site and interpreted it wrong. The SLE with 1SA pkg does not come with OnStar, to get it with the 1SA pkg, has to be ordered as the UE1 option, the SLE with 1SB does include OnStar.
    Good deal! What they should have done in the first place. That's an advantage I appreciate with these- there are (almost) always several choices available for service and warranty repairs with these vehicles. There are at 4 Chevy dealers for me to choose from for service within 5 miles of my house.
  • ees1996ees1996 Member Posts: 31
    I am happy with the truck. Did not want to trade it in for an 04. So many little things are not available in my trim level (leather steering wheel and side air bags) Hopefully this will allow me to keep it till the wheels fall off. Just like with anything shop around for good service. Any one can do an oil change but warranty work brings out the real gremlins.
    Definitely. At last count I think I was up to about 10 items no longer available or extra-cost options now, that were included on the '02s.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Yes, the Envoy has the same issue. This is the only problem my Envoy has had in almost 2 years of ownership. I'll probably be due again next fall. :)
    Thats exactly why I like my 2002 slt Envoy(32,312 miles). Its easier to say the options I don't have. That would be the air pump (had one on my
    Montana...excellent option)and the Bose..I could kick myself for that. Oh yes, I have no tv but I use the factory sunroof all the time. I also have three wiper motors (two of them won't operate full of water though). Does any one find the drivers heated seat will fry your butt twice as fast as the passenger side or have you ever sat over there? How cold does it get in Texas? On occasion the mirrors tell each other to piss off but thats nothing a few hits on the mem button won't cure. Actually with all the many options that could go wrong it's held up pretty good. I'm 497 miles (800 km) away from the end of the warranty. I'm going to go through this site and make a list of anything I can find that would remotely go wrong. I hate to make you all sick but my dealer will most likely fix everything (must be a local condition). This truck is good, it will be dashing through the snow soon. I'm not whining!