Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• ajacat1ajacat1 Posts: 87
    I agree with Javadoc--no real changes for the 2004, not worth waiting for--right now, you're basically playing chicken with the dealers, seeing who's going to run out of inventory/patience first--we *still* haven't bought--got cold feet last weekend, and the navy/grey combination that Steve so correctly identified as associated with the War of Northern Aggression still bugs me...but we really should fish or cut bait in the next two weeks, I think...or of course wait for what happens in August. I've seen several hundred dollars under invoice (which is only fair, it represents a small portion of the depreciation on a car that's almost a year old)before the $2K, so that's decent.

Good luck!

And Steve, how sweet to start a prices paid page for the MPV LOL--sorry if I was any part cause of that...
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    Thanks for all your insight on trailer hitches :(
  • bsvollerbsvoller Posts: 528
    Don't take it personally, man. You'll find plenty of insight on trailer hitches on that "other" site, which you and I both frequent...:)

Basically it boils down to this:

1) Yes they bolt to the frame rails, located on either side of the rear seat well (not the fuel tank, which is located forward, underneath the driver's side 2nd row seat).

2) Available hitches that I know of include Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and the OEM unit. Reese prolly makes one too. You'll need to specify either GFX or sans-GFX when ordering.

3) The OEM unit is class II, the aftermarket units are available in class II or class III.

4) You'll want class III for hauling bigger, heavier trailers with a weight-distributing hitch (puts load back on front drive wheels) or for a 2" receiver (bigger bike racks), otherwise, a class II is just fine.

5) Having bought a Draw-Tite and seen pictures of the Hidden Hitch, I'd definately go with the Hidden Hitch. Price is about the same, quality comparable, and the aesthetics are far superior. The Draw-Tite and OEM units are not pretty to look at, just functional.

6) We paid $250 installed through the dealer, which is a steal. Included wiring harness and brake controller (not needed if you just want to put a bike rack back there, of course). Hitches run $130 plus shipping over the web by themselves, but wiring harnesses are surprisingly expensive. Brake controllers run about $50 plus installation.

7) The MPV requires a special wiring harness, be careful not to mess up the vehicle's electronics.

8) If the dealer price hadn't been so aggressive, I'd have done it myself. The hitch is downright easy, and the the wiring harness is manageable so far as I know.

9) Unbraked trailer weight limit is 1000#, which pretty much eliminates everything short of the smallest U-Haul. If a trailer is in your future, plan on trailer brakes (but a boat would use surge brakes, which don't require a controller).

Hope this helps,

-brianV
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    I have a few ESs that I located in the PNW for you. Here's a shortlist (and it's a short list):

Sage Green in Beaverton - They have only one
    Sage Green in Edmund(sp), WA - They have two

Midnight Blue in Hillsboro - I think you saw that one?

Black - None in OR or WA, but in N.Cali there are a couple.

I should have a comprehensive list of these in about 30mins. Here's where I'll step carefully (Steve), b/c I'm not promoting self or anyone else.. ;) Email me and I can give you the complete listing, so that you can check the models out yourself.
    check your e-mail :) -- we would definitely drive to CA for a black ES outfitted with power doors--I think almost everything else is negotiable if it's black :)
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    That's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.
    Hauling a... fish, of course!

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,272
    Maybe the big ones will start biting once the rain stops?

;-->

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

That's one big chum... chum...

The rain keeps the tourists away. ;)

<content> Uhhh, 150qt cooler fit in the van like a charm.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Posts: 431
    I can now place a face on the one and only. What a beautiful part of the country.

Mark. : )
    Well, Mark... my <devilishly handsome> face does appear, ummm, on the internet. ;)
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    javadoc, great catch. Where were they caught? I have gone to the Pulaski river in N.Y. State salmon fishing during the annual run, lots of fun,lots of people, but very hard to catch. What's your secret?
  • tbonertboner Posts: 402
    that Scott is only 3'4" tall, right? That would make the fish about 18-20" long...

LOL

TB
    It was the fisheye lens that did it.

Steve, Host

If i had feelings, they'd be hurt, you two. Steve, my family invaders left last night... I sent them back to Iderho. Funny, it's sunny again here... go figure.. coincidence?

3'4"... I got yer 3'4"... ;) When's the f.i. conversion on your van happening? I'd be right behind you in line for that deal.

<content> I need to wash my MPV after the rainy weather of late.
  • rdworski1rdworski1 Posts: 19
    Thanks javadoc, I took your suggestion and offered invoice today to Russel Mazda in Ellicott City MD. The offer was accepted with no hassles.

I got an LX with

AC8 Rear AC CFC Free
    CDP CD Player
    FCP Floor And Cargo MAT Package
    FOG Fog Lights
    FOL Portfolio
    RBS Rear Bumper Step Plate
    RCK Roof Rack

for $19,561 including freight. Tax and title were of course extra. Still cannot believe I got a nice minivan for under 20k!
    Java, are they bringing fish? Maybe I'll hijack them at the airport since my very last pack of home caught Alaska salmon is thawing in the fridge today :-( Btw, I think Rutger3 is trying to snag a visit; better tell him where you caught those.

I looked for MPV news but there's nothing much out there. Anyone with topical questions, please feel free to jump in and holler.

Oh, f.i. conversion. Something's getting swapped out with the fuel injectors?

Steve, Host

Not fuel injectors...a different f.i.

Oh, Rutger, that was a place called Bird Creek, AK, south of my house by a few minutes. Not my normal place, but it was all good, except you have to watch for bears, and the tide... man the tide comes in fast there. I didn't know that they had a steam-powered sawmill there at the turn of the (last) century, but read about it on a placard. I think you can maybe see the boiler stacks laying on the ground wayyyy back in the background.

Steve, yes, they're bringing (lots and lots of) fish back, but you'll have to intecept the FedEx guy, b/c they shipped it that way.

I'm sure <content> that there will be 2004 MPV specs out sometime soon... hopefully... I've got my fingers crossed...
    Btw Java (and Leslie if you check in from VT), I mentioned that y'all were looking forward to the August 20 trivia chat and the whole chat got dedicated to Vans. I'll twist Kirstie's arm to toss some questions into the mix.

Steve, Host

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    didn't you say those fish were bigger than that??? haha
    and I'll make no comments about the size of the fish or anything else :)

If you don't mind my asking, what was the temperature there? How warm does it get in summer where you are? We're thinking of doing the Inner Passage cruise sometime in the next couple summers, unless there's a better way of doing that same trip...

and yes, to keep on topic, wonderful how that huge cooler fit in the back of the MPV :)

best, and edging slowly toward being able to live with midnight blue,
    Carolyn
    If I may make a suggestion, put the MPV on the Alaska Marine Ferry and cruise the Inside Passage that way with real Alaskans instead of other tourists.

Plus you'll have a van at the northern terminus and you can hop over the 800 miles to Anchorage to have a cuppa with Java.

Steve, Host

That's the idea, Steve, being an ex-patriot and all. That's the proper way to travel! ;) Ajacat... it's all snow here, year round. Yeah, that's the ticket. We had a number of days in the 80s in early July, actually.

Rich, fish stories always grow. ;) By next week, I'm sure there will be an additional 20lbs added <w>
    Steve that is the coolest website. My husband and I are reading it and just imagining going there with our daughter. Java, thanks for your kind welcoming weather forecast...:)

I'm definitely bookmarking that site. Thanks so much.
  • Hi MPV owners:

This is my first post. My local dealer has a 2000 MPV ES with 27,396 miles, with a sale price of $10,900. The price is good, ext./int. condition is very clean and miles are low. Althoguh, I have not driven it yet.

We want to make it a sibling of Honda Odyssey in our garage and replace the current car/Geo Prizm (Not big enough for day care trips and hassle to keep kids toys in the trunk).

My one concern is the 2.5 liter, V6 and 4 speed combo. How slow or underpowered this is? and what are other issues with 2000 MPV like smell etc. posted earlier on this board.

Thanks a lot.
    The "problem" with the 2.5L is that people are afraid to rev it. If you have a Geo Prizm, you probably won't have that problem.

The only problem I've had with my 00 MPV is I've gotten my past two speeding tickets in the darn thing. One of them climbing and then cresting Mont Eagle (IIRC) north of Chatanooga, TN. Of course I was going over 100MPH with a car full of family, luggage and a car top carrier. Fortunately for me, once I proved once again to myself that the 2000 MPV was not underpowered by my uphill triple digit sprint, I slowed to 80.

Sadly for me, the limit was like 55, so I had to pay the man.

The tranny does seem to get confused from time to time, but usually that is when I am accellerating hard and then suddenly have to brake. There is a harsh upshift on those rare occassions.

I've recently posted my used oil analysis for both my 00 MPV and my 94 Geo Prizm and both seem normal, neither vehicle gets babied either. They do get good quality fluids, however.

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Oil_Analysis/2000-MPV-Oil-Analysis-200- 3-07-28.jpg

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Oil_Analysis/1994-Prizm-Oil-Analysis-2- 003-07-28.jpg

TB
  • Thanks for replying. We are not aggressive drivers. Our Geo Prizm is the one with 3 gear AT.

I read that MPV 2000's 2.5L is made by Ford. Is this a reliable engine? How is your experience with your MPV as far as reliablility ? Any recalls? The high repair $s for 5 MPH hits are a concern.

Thanks a lot agian.
    you will find plenty here about the Duratec. (I own two, one is turbocharged now!!) It is a great engine, multi year winner of the Wards Automotive 10 best engines award.

Designed by Porsche for Ford using the Cosworth casting process, it's a pretty decent engine.

The waterpump is the weak link, and probably shoudl be changed pro-actively at 50K miles. It has a plastic impeller, and it may come apart or simply seperate from the metal shaft.

Napa makes a pump with a metal impeller and I've replaced the pump on my SVT Contour with the NAPA pump.

I believe a few vehicles were affected by some fuel rail and/or fuel pressure regulator problems. But at the dealer you can check to see that all recalls for the vehicle have been addressed.

TB
  • bsvollerbsvoller Posts: 528
    Do you know if the 3.0 also has a water pump "issue" ?

Thanks in advance,

-brianV
    But if it does, it's really easy to change since it is on the back (drivers side) of the engine. It'll take you about an hour to do the job.

Supposedly Ford respec'ed the plastic for the impeller, but it is still plastic.

TB