Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    bugabooxbugaboox Member Posts: 23
    tboner1965: My wife had the same comment as your reaction #1. Does seem understandable - The Contour has had disappointing sales here.

On the news, just now, I heard that the IIHS is releasing 40 MPH "High Speed" Crash Test Results. One of the vehicles singled out as being the best: Mazda MPV.

So go figure. Just when Mazda has pissed me off with changing stories on the engine, they go and build what is appearing to be a very sturdy van.
  • Options
    blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    In a few of our many, many posts talking about the installation of the anchors, most people had them installed by the dealer for no charge. A couple were quoted outrageous prices like you were, but after getting info here went back and ended up getting them in for free. Most dealers look at this issue as a public relations thing, showing concern for the safety of the little future Mazda buyers, and since the anchors probably should have been included from the beginning.
  • Options
    cimccabecimccabe Member Posts: 9
    blondemom1 - You are right! After giving the salesman my ultimatum, he called me back and said the dealer would install the tether anchors free of charge. I had earlier called Mazda customer service and asked why Mazda doesn't pay for installation of the anchors, as the law requires at least 90% of cars built after September 1, 1999 to have them installed. They said they are considering just that.
  • Options
    skorolskorol Member Posts: 11
    As boogaboox correctly pointed out, there was an IIHS crash test performed on MPV, and it did reasonably well. Here are the results:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/vans/mpv_00.htm

Actually, MPV was not singled out to be one of the best as boogaboox suggested. It scored acceptable. However, I was glad to see that result since previous generation of MPV did much worse by scoring marginal. So, I am not worried about safety anymore.
  • Options
    skorolskorol Member Posts: 11
    "Seems odd that some dealers would be able to give the $1000 incentive and 6.90% financing."

Actually, ALL dealers should be able to give you low financing AND money rebate on this car, because in this case the rebate is dealer incentive, and financing is buyer incentive, and therefore if you finance the car, Mazda will still issue $1000 for that car, and therefore you can and should get both.
  • Options
    marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    hi bugabboox. just got back from a day off. yes, any tip to make my wifes driving safer/better would be greatly appreciated.

got "forced" into getting a replacement for our 10 year old nissan axxess. it suddenly developed some fearsome rattling from the exhaust manifold and remembered all those thousand other tiny rattly things that needed fixing.

decided we wanted a replacement quick. since there are no dc van with the extendable pedals yet that happily left us with the mpv. would have bought used but its the first year model. so just this once we get to choose the color...i let my wife have the honor :-)

wife haven't driven until the pedal extenders we ordered are in. currently looking for some exterior mirror i could bolt face down on the trailing edge of the roof so she can see objects on the path she is backing into (she could barely see above the seat tops... which suddenly reminds me why!!! she is actually 4'8" but always claim 4'10" on paper - took me years to discover that and always think 4'10").

again, many thanks to you and your wife and give her my best regards.
  • Options
    metrostlouismetrostlouis Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the affirmation concerning the ability of a dealer to provide both the $1,000 rebate and the 6.9% financing incentive.

If anyone has info/6th sense about what Mazda's MPV incentives/rebates in July, I'd love to hear about it!
  • Options
    kady999kady999 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please give me some info on the engine in the MPV. My initial understanding was that it is a Ford engine, but when I asked my local dealer he said that it is a Mazda engine based on the Ford DOHC engine. Which one is it ?
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Get a price on the vehicle from the salesman.

Put condition on deal that if engine is from USA Ford the deal is for $1000 less than originally stated. Make sure this is in writing.

Then look at things such as the oil filter or even better yet, the dipstick has the Ford logo at the end of it. Look at the content sticker that comes with the MPV van and you will see then engine is from the USA.

Buy the van at the $1000 lower price than originally offered by dealer.

I am that confident.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    Negotiate a price you like, then put the condition on the deal since the dealer stated the engine is a Mazda engine.

I guess you need to be careful, Ford owns 34% of Mazda, so make sure that you are clear that you are talking about the source of the engine, not who owns it.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    billshoe1billshoe1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to purchase a 2000 MPV ES that is currently a demo with 2000 miles. Looking for help to price this. In particular, does a holdback still apply here as well as the $1000 dealer incentive I have seen mentioned on this site? I note the Invoice with the options is $26,931. Has the entertainment system and assume the $500 coupon would also factor into the offer.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Okay, Tboner will concur with me here, as we both have (I don't have the contour anymore tho Tboner) two vehicles with the 2.5l Duratech engine.

The engine in the MPV is the exact same piece that you will find in all v6 Contour/Mistique/Cougars, as well as Mazda 626 and Millenia models. It is made by Ford. The only difference between the Ford and Mazda models is the badging. Of course, the SVT engine is slightly transformed, but basically the same. The block is stamped "Ford" and the heads are stamped "Ford."

So, when the Mazda guy tells you that the MPV engine is "based on" the Ford Duratech, he is right, sort of. It' 99.9% Ford, just not the emblems,or the intake runners, which say "Mazda," or have the Mazda emblem. Even the Oil filter says "Ford Motorcraft" on it.

The 2.5 is a good engine with it's own specific problems, which are few and you shouldn't worry. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet the 3.0 is just a punched out 2.5 with the same block and heads, since this is a Modular engine by Ford.

The tranny, I do believe, is a Ford unit (correct me Tboner?). It should be different from the 4 cyl automatic tranny for many reasons, so not prone (hopefully) to the same problems that are seen in the 4cyl 626 models.

Maybe this helps?

--Cheers!
  • Options
    cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    Re: "The engine in the MPV is the exact same piece that you will find in all v6 Contour/Mistique/Cougars, as well as Mazda 626 and Millenia models."

The MPV engine IS the same Ford design as the Contour/Mystique/Cougar, but not the same as the 626 and Millenia. Those engines are a pure Mazda engine. There is a photo on the page linked below, and it doesn't look anything like the MPV engine. The reviewer even noted the similarity... "While we'd swear that these were the same powerplant, that isn't the case. Similar as it might seem from the driver's aspect, it's pure Mazda design and build from the engine block to the intake runners. "

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/mead/00.Mazda.626.ES.rt.html
  • Options
    While the Duratec 2.5 and 3.0L are probably the same block with a bigger bore, I don't think the heads are the same due to the waterpump differences. Same chamber volume, but I don't think they are the same.

I believe the tranny is a mazda unit. I've not been under there, so that could go either way.

Mazda does have its own 2.5L V6 that is a pretty nice engine, and is of course, it's own design.

javadoc, if you still have your sticker, you will see that the only US made part is the engine. The tranny is from Mazda in Japan. If I recall, the Contour ATX is an American piece and the MTX-75 is from Germany.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    bugabooxbugaboox Member Posts: 23
    I ran across the results of the test as I was walking across the living room while the news was on last night. The anchor actually mentioned the Mazda MPV by name. That will teach me to pay attention to local news!
  • Options
    scrapplescrapple Member Posts: 3
    We just got our MPV LX - love it of course. We wanted the 3 in 1 audio system and the dealer put it in. However, our van was made in 8/99 and the owner's manual makes no mention of the 3 in 1. We figured out all the controls except one The lower left button reads: RDM/BS. We figured out RDM but not "BS". Of course we know what BS is in normal conversation but not as it pertains to a cassette player. Anybody know? Any ideas on how I could get an updated owner's manual? Many thanks!!! Scrapple
  • Options
    auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    Has anyone leased an MPV? Wondering what might be a good deal, what to expect, etc.
    Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    We are very much interested in MPV. I live in whiteplains, NY. I want to know any good dealers nerby who can give good price. I got a quote from carsdirect.com for MPX LX with touring package, 4 seasons package, Power moon roof, Fog lights, roof rack and rear step plate for $23,645. Will any dealer match that price? Has any body purchased MPV from carsdirect.com and how is that experience?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    kady999kady999 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Thanks (to everyone who replied) for the info on the engine. I'm now clear that it is a FORD engine in the vehicle.
    My next question is how does that affect the reliability of the vehicle - I have a long commute - 100 miles/day. How long will the vehicle last ?
    Any comments will be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Does anyone heard anything concerning what is going to happen to the MPV's rebates/incentives as of July 1 ?? I'm trying to decide whether to wait until July to purchase, and like everyone else in that position, I don't want to wait and be a fool or to purchase now and be a fool.

Any advice is welcome, welcome, welcome!
  • Options
    Just in case anyone pays attention/cares, I type
    slower than my brain and it shows. Please accept
    the phrase "does anyone heard" as poetic license.
  • Options
    julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    They usually do not announce incentives in advance, so don't expect any info on it until after 7/1. You may get lucky and have someone at the Mazda 800 number tell you, but I think even they don't know until the time arrives. So, it is a crapshoot on waiting, but for what my opinion is worth, as you get later in the year and closer to the 2001 models coming out, incentive should get better, but please don't hold me responsible if July incentives are not as good as June!! If you can wait 2 or 3 more months, then you might wait until 2001s are out for 2 reasons. First, if the 3.0 does come out, then you can get it if you like, and second, whether or not the 3.0 comes out, but especially if it does, then you should be able to get a REALLY good deal on the 2000 models.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Sorry for my error. I was going by what my Mazda mechanic was spouting about the engines and trannys. Shame on me! ;-)

--Java
  • Options
    mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    I admire all the time and research you guys have put into getting your MPVs. We bought one last week after some whirlwind shopping and research. My 1995 Dodge Caravan (just back from shop with a radiator problem I did fix and an oil leak I did not) started having electrical problems and that was it for us. It had 104,000 miles on it. We needed a reliable kid-hauler car.
    We first test-drove Siennas, which seemed nice, and dealer offered what I thought was a pretty good deal on one. It was light-years better than Caravan, of course, but I wanted to check out other Japanese-engineered products. So, we looked at used Odysseys (new ones are bigger than I'd like) and finally at Mazdas, which we bought within 2 hours of actually seeing/driving. So far, so good. I read some of the complaints about mileage and quickly calculated ours. We won't be able to complain... We have a light teal LX with touring package and dual air. Kids LOVE it. I find the magic seat much roomier than behind seat for putting groceries in and everything is light enough for me to easily move (NOT the case when seats have to come out). Plus, we really like the captain's chair/bench option. And kids swear they have more room and are more comfortable. I don't know how Mazda did it.
    We were somewhat worried about buying a model in its first year, and we bought an extended warranty, which we don't usually do. One thing I liked about Mazda over Sienna was the longer warranty and roadside assistance.
    Thanks so much for these forums. You have no idea how much they help when you're shopping FAST. We bought fast, but now that the deed is done, as we look at other minivans going down the road, ours is the one we like best...
    B
  • Options
    nick73nick73 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy Mazda MPV and want to know if anyone has had any good dealings with dealship
    around Framingham.

Thanks
  • Options
    steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    I bought at Mazda Gallery in Norwood....I saw Tamara. Gary is a good salesman. Tell them I sent you and I want something in return! :) Wouldn't go less than $300 over invoice. I spoke to Lowell Feingold at Gallo in Worcester, a nice guy...they wouldn't go less than $500 over invoice. None of the three dealers I tried to deal with in Ct.(where I now live) would go less than $500 overinvoice even if they had a van I wanted. All of these included the 1k incentive and NONE of them would tumble for that PLUS the 6.9%...(I settled for 7.9%) Regardless of what you read here...I couldn't get both. I walked out the door three times. I cut my eye teeth dealing with Ernie Boch so I know what I'm doing. Maybe you'll have better luck.
  • Options
    john407john407 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000MPV LX. (suppose to pick it up tomorrow) I agreed to 3% over invoice. The van has several extras in which the sales person agreed to the price listed by Edmunds. The invoice is $20,210 with the extras, the total comes to $21,709. Can someone please break down the math for me in showing the price I should play? I have a feeling the sales person is playing with the numbers. The following are the numbers I am working with:
    INVOICE $20,210
    W/EXTRAS $21,709
    3% OVER INVOICE ( I AGREED TO PAY)
    6% SALES TAX IN FLORIDA
    $35.00 TAG TRANSFER
    $1,000.00 DEALER REBATE THEY ARE GIVING ME.(WHICH THE DEALER SAID HAD TO BE TAXED BEFORE THE REBATE)
    $2,000.00 TRADE IN

Anyone who can show me a break down in the final cost will be doing me a big favor. Thanks in advanced for the help.
    JW
  • Options
    jgrant6jgrant6 Member Posts: 1
    Two local Tampa, FL dealers say they'll match Cars Direct prices but will need a fully refundable $500.oo "dealer transfer fee" to get the car from another dealer within 24/48 hrs. Is this standard practice?
  • Options
    canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone have information regarding the MPV entertainment system "coupon?" I'd very much appreciate any information about this. Thanks.
  • Options
    steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    Anybody know what happened to the Cruiser's Club?
  • Options
    gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    Look at topic #1388...

Silver Driver
  • Options
    John407 - the dealer invoice cost (with options) from Edmunds should be your starting point. From this amount, you must subtract the $1,000 dealer rebate. (Don't let them subtract tax from that amount!!) That gives you the dealer's true cost for the vehicle.

With your numbers, $21,709 is the dealer cost without dealer rebate. With dealer rebate, the true dealer cost is $20,709. To this amount, add the 3% markup to get your final price.

Your breakdown should be as follows:

$20,709
    + 3% markup
    + 6% sales tax
    + $ 35 tag transfer
    = total gross cost for vehicle
    - $2,000
    = amount you should owe for vehicle

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bigdipperbigdipper Member Posts: 8
    sr_srikanth:
    I got this deal at Middletown Mazda. Unfortunately this may be a little over an hour drive for you.

metrostlouis:
    Your deal sounds very good.
    Below is a breakdown of what I paid.

LX Invoice - $20,151
    dest.chrg. - 480
    NLEV - 129
    Sec.Pkg - 946
    4-seas. - 344
    rear a/c - 512
    fogs - 215
    3-in-1 audio - 129
    rear step plate - 43
    roof rack - 172
    -------
    Total Invoice - $23,121
    Less Dealer Incentive - 1,000
    -------
    Dealer's Final Cost $22,121
    Plus Profit + 500
    -------
    Purch px before TT&R $22,621
    =======
    This included the Mazda financing of 60mos./6.9%.
    Compare this with your breakdown LESS fog lights and maybe NLEV. The total dealer cost after rebate should be $21,777. This would mean that you would be paying between $23 - $423 over Dealer's Final Cost.
    IMHO, I would go with who ever is giving you both $1,000 Rebate and 6.9% financing. Even if you pay $423 over cost, you still are getting a great deal.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    3% over invoice sounds a bit steep to me. You should be able to get $200 over invoice - rebate, while 3% is more like $650 over. This is what I would do: Go to Edmunds or carsdirect.com, or any other site with invoice information. Start with the invoice price, add your options, subtract the 1K rebate, add $200, and there is your price. If you can get less than that, great! I would not pay much more than that. Remember the dealer still gets 2% dealer hold back, so even if they sell it to you at invoice, they are making about 450-500. Good luck!
  • Options
    sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I don't mind driving to that dealer to get a good price. Appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    Julyar is right. Tell the dealer you will pay his cost (the Edmunds cost, less the $1000 incentive).

I just bought an MPV LX at dealer cost (including the $1000 incentive). The dealer kept the holdback of $442.50 as its profit. That was our deal.

So in your case, you should offer $20,709, and maybe a $100 or $200 more. But no more than that. Good luck.
  • Options
    mpvownermpvowner Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a MPV DX yesterday. the deal was
    18218 w/o any option. is that a good deal?
  • Options
    bweinerbweiner Member Posts: 5
    #78 of 97: Good Dealers near whiteplains, NY (sr_srikanth) Fri 23 Jun '00 (09:13 AM)

I bought my LX 12/99 at Adzam Mazda in Mt. Kisco, about 14 miles north of White Plains, for $200 under wholesale. Mazda was offering a $1000 dealer rebate at the time. I was extremely happy with my salesperson (forget his name, I can look it up if you want). His first offer was very high, but after I let him know, that I knew about holdbacks and dealer rebate he went to his manager and came back with the final numbers. He was totally straight ahead with me, never rushed, answered all questions.

The after sales person however tried to rip us off on a car loan and warranty. Eventually got warranty for $1130 and forced him to drop 48 month loan rate from 9.5 to 6.99% , after we applied and got approved from three different sources online.

Good Luck
  • Options
    ndesmithndesmith Member Posts: 5
    I am interesting in an LX with GFX. I was told by one dealer that you can only get an ES with GFX. Another dealer said GFX is an option with the LX. Can anyone shed some light on this discrepency?
    Appreciate your help.
  • Options
    njcheneynjcheney Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I absolutely love this can and I'm very interested in a buying an MPV; however my husband is very concerned about the engine. Although the performance seemed fine on the level ground, he read that it was not geared well for any climbing. If there is anyone out there familiar with the San Jose CA area could you please reply. We want to use the car to take 2 kids over hill on highway 17 to the beach and through the pass from the Bay Area to Disneyland/LA etc. We took a test drive without the salesperson (he was off and we had missed him before) in the Almaden foothills off Harry Rd. Its performance was very disappointing. When we brought it back the sales manager said it would have performed great if we had known to press the overdrive button. Does this really work? I really want to buy this car. I like it so much better than the Sienna or that "phantom" van the Odyssey.

Thanks. Sorry to be so long.
  • Options
    The GFX is an option with the LX, not just the ES, but you have to also get the LX2 Touring Option if you want the GFX option.

Good luck.
  • Options
    When I picked up our new LX the salesperson said that pushing the overdrive button (i.e., taking it off of auto overdrive) helps with shifting and climbing on hills. I haven't tried it yet. But you might want to check the Mazda MPV owners' forums to post your question for Mazda MPV owners.

BTW, we love our new MPV!
  • Options
    Whether you got a "good" deal all depends. Edmunds lists the dealer invoice for an MPV DX (w/o options) at $18,397. From this you must subtract the $1,000 dealer incentive in effect to get the dealer cost of $17,397. To this add $480 for destination to get the final dealer cost of $17,877.

To this amount add about $100 or $200 for dealer profit. That should be your final price, before tax and tags.

You say you paid $18,218. Does that include tax or tags? If not, then you paid about $341 over true dealer cost, which is not a bad deal, if you do not factor in the holdback of about $400.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mpvownermpvowner Member Posts: 2
    thanks. that helps a lot.
  • Options
    We went down to Monterey in the MPV with 4 people in the car and had no problems. We live in Walnut Creek. The MPV is not the best of climbers, but what happens is it down shifts out of overdrive, so you may be going 65 up a steep hill, and be reving around 4000-4500 range which is just fine, but if you are not used to engines reving high, it may be strange or a little noisy to you. We have a couple of hills around here on Kirkerpass, highway 4, and 24, and it needs to downshift to maintain speed at times, but it manages just fine. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I previously gave info concerning the deal I had negotiated with Bommarito Mazda in St. Louis (Ellisville). However, things changed a bit due to confusion on the dealer's end concerning the lack of a roof rack on the vehicle. Thus, I don't have a roof rack.

Here's the deal summary. (I pick up the car this evening.)

MPV LX - Sand Mica
    Security Pkg
    4 Season's Pkg
    Rear A/C
    3-in-1 Audio
    Rear Bumper Step Plate
    Cargo Mat

Total Invoice Price of $22,168
    Drive off the lot Price of $21,989.
    Figuring in holdback & $1000 incentive, the dealer made a 4% profit of $827.

I believe it ended up a fair deal for all. Though, I wish I had a roof rack!

Note that Cimccabe seems to have worked a better deal on her MPV. I should have had her negotiate the deal and split the margin with her! That might not be a bad idea for any soon-t0-be-purchasers out there! Give Cimccabe a call!
  • Options
    The Illinois dealers were giving me both the $1000 manufacturer-to-dealer rebate and the 6.9% financing incentive. The Missouri dealers were not. I have no idea why there is a discrepancy between the two.

Nevertheless, please note the following:

I received 7.25% interest on a 60 month loan from a local Illinois credit union. In turn, if I had worked or lived in St. Louis, I could have received 6.9% financing for 60 months from 1st Community Credit Union.

Accordingly, Mazda's "incentive" is not that helpful. My 7.25% will only cost me about $200 more over the 5 year life of the loan.

Something to think about during negotiations, etc.
  • Options
    cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    Re: "I wish I had a roof rack!"

Congrats on your new LX. I love mine. I actually turned down the first MPV the dealer found for me because it had a roof rack. A roof rack falls into the category of something I would rarely if ever use. For my needs the van is spacious enough to keep stuff inside, though I fully realize this isn't everyone's situation.

Racks make washing the roof of the van more difficult, and can add wind noise and drag. The factory rack is only rated for 100 lbs, and carrying a load on the roof increases the center of gravity of an already tall vehicle, which can subtly affect handling.

Also, it's totally subjective, but I prefer the lower, sleeker look without a rack.
  • Options
    Thanks for your roof rack opinions! You made me feel a little better for settling for a vehicle without one! In all likelihood, I won't have a need for one very often. 1 or 2 uses per year may not be a sufficient justification for paying the additional cost. If I ever "REALLY" need one, I can always get one put on for lower cost than the dealership was quoting.

Thanks again!