Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    By the way... where can I get some of this "ethafoam"?
    I could tell you where to get it but it could be a bit of a drive for you. Try at Home Depot, in the weather stripping area in rolls with adhesive backs (black) from 3/16th to ½” thick or in plumbing as a pipe wrap or better yet go to a Masonry retailer or a Custom window shop and tell them you wish fill the cavity between the brick and window frame. Should come in a role / rope / cord with thickness from ¼ ‘ to 1” inch. On my truck the rubber gasket on the front pillar was vibrating much like you create noise by blowing on a leaf between your thumbs. Would really sing at 85mph! Add a strong cross wind and the door would get sucked out (yeah the doors suck). The factory gaskets around the door can be loose and possibly not even make contact. See where you have the most dirt coming in, that’s where its failing. Tuck the ethafoam behind it (you don’t need much) to make it stand out more to the door. I didn’t even glue it or anything, the closed door holds it in place. I managed to fish a ¼” piece inside the hollow tube gaskets without having to take them off.
     Ethafoam has a higher compressive strength than sponge rubber, much stiffer and will also retain its shape after being crushed. Its similar to sponge but its closed cell structure gives it a low rate of water absorbtion . Hey host, can we exchange gardening tips as well?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hey host, can we exchange gardening tips as well?

Perhaps - but only if you're doing a comparison of gardening IN your TB, Bravada or Envoy! E.g. which will hold more humus and mulch and provide your garden with more sunlight? :-)

tidester, host
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    see message 14170
  • steves69steves69 Member Posts: 1
    Well... I took a little road trip this past W/E to Puerto Pinasco MX for some R&R. Only trouble was it was hardly relaxing. On the road down, in my '02 Envoy SLT, I started hearing a loud high pitched howel from the rear end each time I let off the gas. It would happen just as the gears should start slowing the car down (at highway speed.) Call OnStar and they have no error codes. I pull into a gas station as I arrive and crawl under to check things out, but there is nothing visibly wrong (big suprise) no leaking etc... So I climb back in, toss it in reverse and all be damn, more howling and no reversie!!! I'm thinking to myself, "Self... your locking rear diff has managed to eat itself appart. This is going to be a long trip back." So, I do what I did when I left my Jeep drive line in the middle of the road and put it in 4WD, and sure 'nuf we have "backwards" again and I'm able to pull out of my parking spot without having to put my shoulder into it. Also, no more noise when I let off the gas.

Take it to the dealer when I get home, they take it out of 4WD, check for error codes, run diagnostic, test drive and there is nothing wrong with my rear end!!! No more noise, reverse works fine. What gives!!! I hadn't even started on the Tequila, so I know I didn't imagine the whole thing. Anybody heard of this? Could my clutch pack be worn out after only 27K, or could it be a fluid thing possibly? I'm sure this thing is a touch more complicated than the Dana 60 I rebuilt in my Jeep, but I would think the basic principles are the same. Anybody?
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    AZ bound. I like in the Sierra Nevadas (house at 4600 ft, regularly tow higher), own an 02 TB with the 4.2 6 cyl. and it tows happily up to about 9000 ft (Sonora Pass). If you keep the engine in a gear much lower than you're used to, it'l pull anything (even had to tow a 4-runner once). The engine design just likes the higher RPMs. I have 65K on the vehicle. Best car I've ever owned. I work it hard, run it in the Snow regularly, run it to the SF Bay area regularly (high gear, low RPM, mileage 20+), and would buy another.

The Calif. Valley heat (100+) doesn't really bother it much - but I changed out the Dex-Cool coolant for another, more standard type when the warranty expired. A lot of radiator guys recommend this - but if you do it during the warranty, you could void it.

- WPK
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have several hunks of ethafoam around my house from my canoeing/kayaking days. One piece goes into my pants when I go snowboarding for those heel side falls :-) Handy stuff!

You can mail order it from whitewater shops if you can't find a local source in your area.

Steve, Host
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely try to fix the wind noise with all the suggestions here. It sounds like with enough trial and error it can be fixed.
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    As an '02 Envoy XL SLT owner I am not doubting the wind noise compliant. But, I find it hard to believe that someone wishes they would never have bought the vehicle because of it.

Or put another way, for all positive reasons that a purchase was made, does wind noise trump them all? Sounds like there were insufficient good reasons to buy in this case, otherwise the positive would outweigh the negative.

There has been excellent response to the problem through this board and I hope ann1 finds a satisfactory fix.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    what mfgr are those VentVisors that you have..

we usually get the stick 'em on Ventshades...

thanx much
    The in-channel visors are made by Weathertech and EGR and one other brand. A much nicer looking option than the stick on kind.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=4
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    As an '02 Envoy XL SLT owner I am not doubting the wind noise compliant. But, I find it hard to believe that someone wishes they would never have bought the vehicle because of it.

I agree. I don't have a noise problem except during a crosswind and it's very loud. It's normally not a big deal except I drove across Wyoming once and the crosswind was continuous. It absolutely drove me insane. Some engineer needs to be horsewhipped over this. One of these days I'll fix it, though.
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    I'm bringing my '02 TB LTZ in to have a brake light replaced and the dealer told me I was due for a 30k mile checkup. Can I assume that this is pretty much an overpriced version of what I get at the local oil change shop when they give me their "40-item service inspection." I own the car and don't want to neglect it, but I want to be ripped off by the dealer even less. Thanks!
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
  • elvis23elvis23 Member Posts: 12
    I put Weathertech InChannel Vent Visors on my 03 Envoy, and they are great. I got the "light smoke" ones, and they have a slight tint. You can get darker tint if you want. They installed in about 5 minutes. The only hiccup was having to put a clip on the weatherstripping. Not a big issue though.

After 14 months of use, I scratched up the driver's side one by accident. I cleaned it with an SOS pad. Unbelievable. They replaced it for me free of charge.

I know this is overly positive, but I do not work for the company, I assure you.
    appreciate the info on the Weathertech Visors.. and the mini review...

we've always used the 'other sticky brand' Ventshades... they have gotten thinner over the years but still held up well.. got used to the Ventshades installed on our two trucks ...

I watched that installation video on the Weathertech site... saw the clips...

right now my wife still has her '01 Suburban..she's about to order a an '04 Trailblazer LT 4x4 and turn in her 'burban at the end of the lease in about a month.. I just turned in my '01 Z71 Suburban the other day on an early GMAC lease turn in on their 'pull-ahead' program.... my new '04 'burban LT 4x4 is due in today... I did the same with my old '99 Subn .. 10 month early lease turn in..

here's a few pics on the Gallery site post # 3 of our two 'burbans the day after I picked up my white '01 Z71 .. my wife's has the Ventshades already on.. mine are w/o them.. I put them on a few days later
    KarenS "Suburban/Tahoe Owners: Photo Gallery" Jun 28, 2001 12:12pm

thanx again for the help.. appreciate it... :)
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Curious as to the difference in ride and handling of the Z71 vs. the LT. TIA
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    I've lived in AZ since 1966 and you need to know you can't move in until 2 others move out!!
    When we went shopping for an Envoy, most of the Phoenix area dealer stock was the 3.73 axle. Not a bad compromise. We pull a Coleman tent trailer and the Envoy does fine however it does have a "drinking" problem on long grades. Many of AZ's "back roads" are reasonably well developed and ground clearance isn't an issue but it isn't a jeep!
    What area are you moving to?
  • suv_fansuv_fan Member Posts: 24
    came on a month or so ago. Brought it to a dealer; cost me $108 to find out nothing is wrong.

Just came on again last night.

Anyone experience this? I don't want to pay more labor (no warranty) to find out "nothing is wrong" but I'm trying to find a new car right now!

Thanks.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "I've lived in AZ since 1966 and you need to know you can't move in until 2 others move out!!"

OK, I live in San Diego and I have a similar deal for you "zonies". You can't visit San Diego in the summer until 2 San Diegans visit Phoenix in the summer. Deal? :-)
    This the wrong forum. This one is for 2002+ models. (Totally different vehicle).
    However, the error code should be stored on the computer, so it's hard to believe they couldn't get a code, unless you had unplugged your battery.
    '99 talk is fine in here - especially since the old Bravada board is in the archives and there's no Problems board.

You may want to try an auto parts store. Lots of them will read the codes for free, but usually OBDII codes; don't know about reading codes related to AWD.

Steve, Host
    comparing my Z71..now my turned in-Z71.. to my wife's LT both 4x4's '01's...

the Z71 is a bit stiffer ride... the LT with the standard stock suspension is a lot nicer riding vehicle.. the Z71 with the on-off road stock 17" tires is noisier.. with a lot of road noise coming thru.. LT much quieter...

as far as handling.. both act the same to me.. big is big.. although you might tend to feel the Z71 with the stiffer suspension handles better.. in reality big is still big..

my Z71 got turned in on the Chevy/GM pull ahead early lease termination program.. I'm picking up an '04 Subn LT 4x4 tomorrow afternoon... after having th Z71 for three years on a lease.. tired of the noise.. if the Z71 had the better heavy duty tranny( like the 2500 series) and the 6.0 V8 might have gone with it again.. but it doesn't..

this time I loaded the new LT up with a DVD, Sunroof, Stabilitrak.. got the two package discounts -$2K.. here's the same vehicle with all the same options.. a twin to mine at the same dealership... mine is White/tan interior .. this one is Silver /tan.. here's the sticker
    My '04 Suburban LT 4x4

used to be that the Z71 was based on the LS .. now it's based on the LT with a higher price compared to back in '01... it was worth the value in '01 .. not to me now.. so I went with the LT
  • boyboyboyboy Member Posts: 5
    i was preapproved for 25000 dollars on the gmc website and i have a downpayment of 10000. Does anyone know what a preapproval is good for? does it lock in a set APR? what power does it give me when I walk into a dealership? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. I'm trying to buy either a 2003 envoy or envoy xl if i can afford it
    p.p.s. i don't have great credit, so can i use this preapproval for a lease?
    thanks!!!!
  • brian136brian136 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 Envoy. I've done some reading on oil filters. I'll be using Mobil 1 synthetic. I'd like to use a filter of very high qualities, any thoughts?
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Why not ask the parts counter folks at the dealer? They have a lot of experience and contact with the mechanics, and they know what's best for your vehicle. My dealer sells synthetic oil so they must have some recommendations.
    Chris
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    believe what consumer reports said about the envoy, trailblazer, etc as far as reliability goes. let me know anyone who owns a tblazer
    & envoy. thanks. they said the 03 are bad so anyone with 03s thanks.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    If you get a good one, they are really good. But if you get a bad one, they can be really, really bad. I've had a '02 Bravada repurchased by GM and a girl at work just had her '03 Trailblazer repurchased by GM. If you look at total numbers out there, a lot of them are good. But I think they've had an above average amount of problems.

GAM
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Check them out on my site. they are great and in-channel and no clips. In almost 2 years and no problem. They look 100% better than the cleap stick-ons, IMO.
    http://www.trailblazer.homestead.com/
    also some info on how to stop wind noise.
  • efogmefogm Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Last week the #1 piston (exact part yet unknown) in my 02 failed. GM and dealer have yet to admit anything is their fault. I'm 18k miles out of warranty. I saw that there was an early TSB for an engine replacement program in 2001. My truck was delivered on 31 Dec 01. Has anyone had a problem like this? I saw some posts about cylinder lining failure. Thank for you any help,

Bob
  • ltz2003ltz2003 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 03 tb 13000 miles great tk 1 ac switch 1 license plate gasket thats it best vehicle i ever had
    There was a problem with cylinder sleeves cracking in the 2002's. They admitted this and extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. I don't know if it's all 02's or just the early ones. You should have received a letter from them if your warranty has been extended.
    The extended engine warranty applies to all triplets built during calender year 2001. You should have received the letter last june if your mailing address hasn't changed since you bought your envoy. I have the letter saved as a jpeg file if you would like a copy emailed to you.
  • envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this noise. When I cranked the engine yesterday, I heard what sounded like a piece of paper being hit by a medium speed fan blade. Sounded like it was coming from in front of the console, and it was pretty loud. Noise was intermittent, and has not occurred again. Didn't seem to be affected by adjusting the AC.

I have an '02 SLT 4WD. Any ideas?
    Did you check under the hood for cats, rats, or other dismembered critters?
  • envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    That I could find...
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Is bulb replacement for headlights, tail lamps, blinkers, etc. covered under warranty? Thanks.
    My right side mirror now remembers everything…….amazing new feature ive reclaimed. I previously would hit the mem button several times before it found its original position at best. Its now worked for a whole week, since washing the truck. I had pushed the mirror to its limits left, right , up and down several times (makes a heck of a ratcheting noise) to dry the puddle that forms inside it so that it doesn’t splatter down the doors. I do that all the time but this time in four directions (not electrically) and the truck was running. Ever since then it works / remembers !! Someone with failing mirrors try this and we will see if it works twice or am I just lucky? Why would it start working properly?
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    My guess is that it relates to the rear heat/ac system in the console. Every once in a while I get the same noise when the system shifts from one set of vents to another. Very rare but that is my best guess. If you pin it down let us know!
    "Is bulb replacement for headlights, tail lamps, blinkers, etc. covered under warranty?"

I don't know what the official word is, but I had two brake lights replaced under warranty. Note that there is a defect where the brake lights burn out prematurely. There is a service bulletin on this and they will replace a circuit board to remedy it. Mine is fine after the fix.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Steve - I read in one of the other boards that you have a Yakima Rack.
    Do you have it on your triplet and if yes, what length crossbars did you use?
    I plan to install the rack and carry 3 Kayaks on top. My tendancy would be to install the longest bars available (78") for the versatility.
    Longest recommended however are 58"
    My Yak rack goes on my Quest minivan. I used to carry two canoes side by side a lot when I was boating more, so I went with the long bars (78").

Having a higher vehicle helps prevent the knock-out syndrome when you get out of the rig and forget the racks are up there (ouch!). But if you are tall, go for the narrower racks, especially if you are just hauling river kayaks. Those you can stack on edge and you don't really need the extra width as much.

Mine are the tower kind btw, and usually live in the garage.

Steve, Host
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Bulbs are covered under the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. They are not covered under any of the extended warranties offered by GM.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    About 4500 miles ago (39500 mi currently on the truck), I had my 02 TB EXT in for a repair of the front end clunking/rattling. They replaced one of the sway bar links at that time. It seemed to lessen the noise, but not totally eliminate it. I was OK with it at the time.

Today I brought it back in because the noise was gradually getting worse. The service consultant had me drive around the block down some yucked up roads to see if I could generate the noise - no problem. They ended up replacing both of the links this time and now I'm amazed at the difference in the steering feel and the beautiful silence!

On my way home, I took the worst roads that I could find and didn't hear a single clunk or rattle and I keep marvelling at the nice steering feel. I didn't realize how bad it had become over time.

If you have any of the front end noise, make sure they replace BOTH of the links.

Dean
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Thats interesting about warranty on 02s. I just purchased a 02 LTZ Trailblazer, 23000 mi. How would I find out if mine would be covered?
    Anyone tell me where to get a good looking splash garde for the trailblazer.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Do you by any chance have the part #'s for the items replaced in your TB? TIA
    "...make sure they replace both of the links"

Thanks for the advise. I'm actually going in soon to get this done. Do you know if the links have been re-designed, or if it's the same problematic design?
    Check the build date - it's on tag on the inside of the driver's door.
    If it was built in 2001, it's covered by the extended warranty.

I'm not sure which is better, to have the extended warranty because of a possible problem, or not have the warranty because the problem was fixed.

I think I'd rather have a build date in 2002 and not have the warranty.
    At 63000 miles, I hope I've gone far enough that my cylinder sleeves are fine.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    They didn't write the part numbers on the sheet they gave me. I asked the service manager if they were redesigned or the same old thing. He said they're the same as the old ones.

Dean
    Heres what my work order said for the same problem:
    "Replace front sway bar link rods (loose rods causing noise)" R&R front stabilizer shaft at control arm. Link kit 12479231 and 12479233.
  • ann1ann1 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone hear any clicking noise every time they press their brake while in park on their Envoy's. You can hear it coming from your gear shift. The dealer tells me it's normal.