Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    bob2bob2 Member Posts: 10
    We just purchased a 2002 olds bravada. It's still under factory warranty with about 26000 miles. My problem is this. When making hard turns (right or left...doesn't matter) going around sharp corners, backing out of driveway, etc. the engine begins to run real rough and almost dies. When the steering wheel is straightened back up the roughness goes away. The vehicle has no problems going straight down the road. We took it to the dealer and he proceeded to tell us that all gm vehicles with 4wd or awd do this. It is normal for the vehicle. This sounds somewhat fishy to me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience or has been told the the same thing from their dealer. Thanks.
  • Options
    mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    this problem with a 03 tblazer; with mine i start it up in the morning after like 3 min or 4 min or so it starts vibrating, boom, sound. after i take off it gets louder when im at a light thats when it gets louder also when im in park. now i took it to a dealer also i found a tsb on it nbr 091903 now when i was at the dealer as usual they tried to jerk me which they did. i called chevy and some jerk was just like the dealer no help. but they said they talked to engineering and they said it was normal. they started up a 04 and it had the same problem mine was after 3to 4 min it starts to vibrate the 04 i was in was not even hot. i was at gm's site techlink 4-03 they clearly states how to fix this problem. now im at 29000 miles so i do not understand how they have a tsb about this and info how to fix this and you leave the dealership with the same problem? the doggone serv mgr tells me NORMAL!! now dont get me wrong if it is then i will be very dissappointed by chevy. i guess i probably will be looking at toyota since i cannot fit in a 4 runner. i was looking at it before i bought the t blazer sequoia perhaps? but im going to another dealer tommorrow and i will keep it running so they can hear it and bring the papers with me so they see whats the deal. i see the other dealership did not give a rats a... about my concern he did not buy it from us heck. i called the place where i bought it from and they are non comptent so as you see in northeast oh this folks are $$$$$$$$ hungry .in warranty do not mean a thing so what should i do folks. can someone find out some info so i can deal with this. lastly i want keep this tblazer so i will not have a car note now do you all think i should put a borla exhaust on it? i do like the sound. but i do want to hook it up know what i mean it but i do not want a lemon but anyway so help me please thanks.
  • Options
    envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    It's normal. It is part of the mechanism that controls the transmission/brake pedal interlock. It is how the truck knows that your foot is on the brake pedal, to allow you to shift the truck out of park. It keeps you from shifting the car out of gear without your foot on the brake pedal.
  • Options
    lost now when i start it up from it sitting over night and it warms up the vibration kicks in. like i said in the post before if they can lower the sound like they said could do at service.gm.com/gmtechlink engine boom vibration 4-03 why have they not fixed the problem? if its the brake clicking noise i havent heard it. so im wondering what do you think? does yours do same identical thing mine does the same as mine yr mke exactly. let me know i would really appreciate big time you just dont know how much i would thanks.ps um what do you mean interlock all i do is start it up and in 4 min its sounding sick im at 29800 miles i have not heard this before. so i guess if you explain this in detail i will understand it as usual i would appreciate it ill wait for your post .
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    I would not want my vehicle to operate like you described. This does not sound "normal" to me. Can your dealer show you this occuring in any of his other vehicles? My '03 Envoy 4X4 does not do this. I believe the dealer is jerking you around.
  • Options
    now let me ask this i have a rwd not 4x4 now i am taking it to another dealer today or i have whenever you read this post. i do know the dealership i went to has a history of jerking folks around so i will stay away from them period. but what i am curious is about is well lets see what this other dealer says thats a very big thing. im still curious about is anyone having the same vehicle as mine 4.2 engine rwd ls 29000 miles or more and have the same problem as i am having. im made a complaint at the nhtsa so will see where that goes. anyone let me know you all are having the same problem as i am having thanks as again i will greatly appreciate it thanks again.
  • Options
    bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    I am about to purchase an EGR rear window dust guard for my '02 Bravada. Has anyone had experience with a rear dust guard. Do they work? My window collects dust big time. Thankx
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    The Smartrack AWD has had some problems. Does it feel like the front wheels are binding-up when turning, it might even feel like you are slowing down! If you make a tight enough turn the front wheels might even start to skid. If that the case it's the Smartrack is staying in 4WD.

There is one or two TBS that will fix the problem. I know because it happened to my 02 Bravada. I'll see if I can find the TSB info.

Allen
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Found it :

02-04-21-008 Shudder, Rocking Motion, Binding, Feels Like Vehicle is Stuck in 4WD (Crow Hop) When Turning at Low Speeds.

Allen
  • Options
    tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    Pretty good news on a couple of things. First, bought and tried the Mr. Clean Auto Dry system on my Carbon Metallic Envoy last weekend. Call me a nut but I stood in the driveway for nearly an hour looking for a spot, a streak, something to find a reason to take them up on their money back guarantee. I couldn't believe it (still can't) but the thing came out flawless! I didn't have to dry it or touch it up anywhere. The glass, paint and chrome were totally spot-free. Paid $18 for it at Wal-Mart but given my hand wash hassle factor went from 2 hours down to 45 minutes, I'd gladly have paid $118.

Also, Bilstein just released heavy duty shocks/struts for the Envoys and TBs about a week ago. A fellow Envoy owner from CA sent me a note with the part#s:

Front / BE5-A333-HO Rear / BE5-A335-HO

They have stiffer valving for apps with lower, stiffer springs. Should nicely round out my Eibach, Hotchkis and BFG Comp TA package.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are a few posts about it over in M&R.

Here's one:

bretfraz "Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts)" Nov 5, 2003 10:49am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Jeez twinrotts, you'd complain if your ice cream was cold! Just razzing you bud.

You do make a couple of good points about the unit being a little awkward and looking for a bucket to put the mitt back in. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get past all that though given the results are fantastic and there's NO NEED to DRY the THING. Re: needing more soap or the unit not producing enough soap, I used the Auto Dry system to wash the Envoy after a road trip back and forth to D.C. from Columbus, Ohio. It was filthy and I had no trouble cutting through the road grime and getting a great result.

On the other hand, a buddy of mine who admits he is a car detailing snob refuses to use it. He's worried that the "soap" has something in it that will hurt or "dry out" the paint or make other finishes or surfaces prematurely age or "weather". Never mind him though. He's still huffed that I told him my $2.99 bottle of Simple Green cleans alloys as well (or better) than his $15.95 bottle of P51S from Germany!
  • Options
    kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    This stuff sounds great, especially when you consider the acreage involved in drying these things by hand.

For those of you who've used it, does it appear to have any effect on the wax you might've just applied the previous weekend? I can just see me washing 4 hours-worth of waxing down the driveway.
  • Options
    twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Gee Mark... How did you know my ice cream was too cold???
    You are right if you summized that I am rather demanding of the products I buy. I'll admit it, I am difficult to please, but imagine this, I do love my 02 TB EXT.
    Anyway... When using you MR C, do you simply plow along with your mitt never stopping to refresh it? Mine stats to turn black rather quickly and I begin to imagining all the micro razors that are building up inside there just itching to scar my finish. It just seems like I need to do something. Last time, I started using the unit to saturate my sponge afer each panel and squeeze out the water. I then wet it again on the soap setting. By the time I do all this, I'm better off using my two buckets!!
    I think I'd be happier if they made a detergent that I apply with my sponge and just have the unit do the final deionized rinse
  • Options
    My dealer just did my 24K service for $40.
    They really seem reasonably priced considering this included oil/lubrication, tire rotation top off fluids, and the assorted check this and that.
    I do sort of chuckle however at some of the things they do.
    IE adjust tire pressure on wheels that just rolled for 25 miles and the consistent failure to reset the Oil Minder, telling my my original wiper blades are good, etc
  • Options
    Starting to shop extended warrantees.
    Anyone hear of a company named Interstate? My dealer quoted me $2200 for a diamond plan (bumper to bumper type) with a $100 disappearing deductible, 6 yr/100K.
    This deductible gets waved if I have my selling dealer do the repairs. Anywhere else I pay $100 per invoice irregardless of issue count.
    Anyway, he also quoted me a GM plan at $5300 that tops out at 72K. I was amazed. The $5300 btw was directly out of his Dealer Cost book that he gave me to hold.
    He also told me that if I purchased the GM W when I bought the truck cost was $2200. Theory being that now that I have driven 24000 miles and think I need the W, I must know something about needing it.
    You could have picked me off the floor
  • Options
    trust dealerships serv depts I probably am not telling nothing that you all do not know.got help from another dealership for my problem vibration problem that is. they calibrated my auto tuned it computer tuned it up that is. they ordered engine mounts, tranny mounts, so i got good service. I will not go back of course who go back to a place that jerked you around so thats it thanks.
  • Options
    boyboyboyboy Member Posts: 5
    IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THE SUPPLIER VEHICLE PURCHASE PROGRAM, WILL THEY COMBINE THAT WITH THE CURRENT REBATE FOR GMC ENVOYS OR IS IT AN "EITHER OR" KIND OF SITUATION?
    I'M ALSO PREAPPROVED FOR GMAC FINANCING FOR UP TO 25K, SO IF I PUT DOWN ANOTHER 10K (PLUS TAGS & STUFF), I SHOULD COME OUT A REALLY HAPPY BUYER.............RIGHT?
    THANKS
  • Options
    brian136brian136 Member Posts: 8
    The rear door seals (over the wheel well) seem a bit exposed. If I recall correctly, GM recommends silicone(dielectric) grease. Has anyone got any experience with 303 aerospace protectant?
  • Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Generally rebates can be coupled with the GM Supplier discount. I've had a couple friends use the supplier discount and they got the rebates too. Would assume that's still the case however to be sure suggest calling the dealership with the question.
  • Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Twinrotts check out this link to get a comparison on GM MajorGuard extended warranty. If you inquire via email it's a near instantaneous automated response. I don't know anything about the one you mentioned but I'd do a google groups search to see if it's one of those in financial trouble but using a different name.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/mgn_menu.htm
  • Options
    You're visualizing "all the micro razors that are building up inside there just itching to scar my finish" and I'm standing in the driveway for almost an hour watching my Envoy dry. I think we're both nuts!

Point made, point taken on freshening the sponge or mitt as you wash. Next time I use the Mr. Clean unit I'm going to have a bucket of hot water handy. After using the mitt, I'll toss it in the bucket to soak. When I'm ready for it again, I'll hit it with the soap setting on the unit (as the instructions state) and go from there. Easy on the clear coat and I still don't have to dry the Envoy!
  • Options
    dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    I received my work order in the mail yesterday for the sway link replacement....part numbers: link kit 12479231 and 12479233.

I don't know if these are a new version or simply more of the same...

Dean
  • Options
    dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    I purchased the 4/72000 GM Protection Plan last year for around $2000. The GMPP Major Guard is nearly bumper to bumper and can be pulled up on any GM service department's computer. I purchased it through a dealership in Pennsylvania that I found on the internet.

Dean
  • Options
    Hey Mark
    I know where a new traffic light was installed. Want to go watch it change a few hundred times!!
    Errr sorry host... We will need to drive the triplets there and let them watch too!!
  • Options
    When I purchased my truck, I did it using Supplier Pricing which was totally unrelated to any additional rebates being offered by the General.
    In my case, it was a "legitimate" Supplier price arrangement, not associated with some of the recent advertisement I have been hearing from local dealers. Not sure if the latest Supplier Pricing being offered is the exact same program.
  • Options
    cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    The dealer washed it accidentally before servicing and noticed the wipers didn't work. Covered under my GM extended warranty and cost $100 for my deductible. Motor cost $300. I filed a complaint with Nhtsa and searched for the defect. GM is planning a recall you can reference action # EA04002 for more details. Keep your receipts and GM should reimburse you. Build date was 5/02.
    Chris
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Make sure the warranty is transferable should you decide to sell the car before the warranty expires. This may make it easier to sell the car. G.M. has both plans available. The difference in cost is small, making the transferable warranty IMO a better buy. Again IMO, owning a Triplett without an extended warranty is like turning the crank of a Jack in the Box. You know he's going to pop out, you just don't know when. There are so many possible failures, it's just a matter of time.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Brian:
    Yes, I'm using 303 Aerospace on my rubber seals/weatherstripping, as well as some of the colored plastic such as the black plastic in the wipers area, the plastic of the outside rearview mirrors, door handles, etc, as well as the colored portions of the dash, armrests, etc. I had emailed 303 and they responded that it is supposed to be good for the kind of rubber in weatherstripping. However, my Envoy is only 2 years old, so it's unknown how the rubber will hold up over time. However, on clear plastic like headlights and instrument gauges something like Plexus is supposed to be better without clouding.
  • Options
    brian136brian136 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your response (I think that your the first one I've gotten from 4 questions that I've asked over the last month , or so). I fully agree that you need to be very careful with the headlights (polycarbonate, I believe). I'll try some of the 303. Thanks.
  • Options
    cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    That's what I've been using. I can check but I think that's what the manual says to use. Is 303 a better thing to use?

Chris
  • Options
    Better? Maybe less "greasy."

I've used 303 for years, mostly for dry suit gaskets, but also on the dash and hot tub cover. Recently I tried Vinylx by Lexol on the dash and vinyl tub cover and first impressions are favorable.

For fun, read the product FAQs at both 303 and Lexol.

Neither product is very easy to find around here although the whitewater shops carry 303. I had to mail order Vinylx to try it.

Silicone shouldn't be a problem unless there's added petroleum distillate in the product (link).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    envoyleeenvoylee Member Posts: 6
    Question: I am looking for information from anyone who has towed a travel trailer with their Envoy. I know what the manual says about payload, but would like some real life advice. I have the 3.73 axle, and a 2003 Envoy SLT. I would welcome some comments about size of trailers and pros and cons pulling with the vehicle. By the way, I have about 10500 miles now and still like the Envoy, no problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    My TB has a slight moan or vibration sometimes when I am accelerating up the highway or in stop and go traffic. It is not always consistant but it is there. I had the Tranny rebuilt at 2k and now have 12k on it. I wonder if the rebuild caused it or if there is a bad mount. Anybody have any info that might help me out. The dealer could not reproduce but now it is starting to bug me.
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    does the vibration occur between 50 and 60 mph when in overdrive? This is common to the tripletts. Others have had the drive shafts replaced to cure the vibes. Do a search for resonance and vibration on this forum to find out more.
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I have towed a 5000lb+ travel trailer with my 3.73 geared 4x4 trailblazer, no problems, just keep the rpms up and you won't have any problems as far as power. If you let the engine speed slow down you'll loose the edge on hills, the vortec 4200 engine likes to rev and that's where the power is, don't depend on low end torque for power. Don't tow in overdrive(4th gear). You'll need a good brake controller, tekonsha prodigy is probably the best but I have a voyager, works well, way less $$. A good weight distribution hitch is also a must have. It's not mandatory but I changed the transmission fluid to synthetic Redline D4(synthetic dexron III) and added an external cooler in front of the radiator. A 20 degree increase in transmission temperature will decrease the life of the transmission by half so the cooler is good insurance for little $$. Happy towing!
    http://www.oil-tech.com/atf3.htm
  • Options
    adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    I have been doing some study of the TB's front area relating to wind noise and think I have found where a problem area could be. The area just behind the corners of the hood is a rubber flap attached to the base of the windshield gasket/cowl. There is a large opening big enough to fit my hand down behind the fender and grab the foam insert seen when you open the doors. I think that air gets down in this gap at highway speed and creates the turbulence around the A pillar and that can suck open the doors a tiny bit at high speed. Maybe if somehow this "hole" could be covered that could be a potential fix for the wind noise. I have also added some rubber strips inside the door seals to help maintain contact with the doors at the door top and openings. Anyone else have any luck or tips on this?
    Thanks again to all here.
  • Options
    Brian wrote:
    I think that your (answer)the first one I've gotten from 4 questions that I've asked over the last month , or so

Brian, if you don't get an answer at first, ask your question again. The person with the answer may only occasionally sign on. I see you once asked about which oil filter to use with Mobil 1 synth oil. Most people I've talked to using Mobil 1 also use the Mobil 1 filter. I personally have not made the switch to synth oil. YOu also asked about caring for leather seats, but I have cloth. There are many brands of leather cleaners and conditioners out there. You can read descriptions of many of these leather products at a place like: Leather Care.
    Also here on Edmund's you can search on leather care, and there is a forum category here on Edmunds called "Aftermarket and Accessories" and a subcategory called "Interiors". You can find discussion about cleaning and care there or ask your own question. But if you do a search, I bet people there have discussed leather products from time to time. Good luck.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the discussion you're looking for: Best leather conditioner / cleaner in the Maintenance & Repair area.

tidester, host
  • Options
    ann1ann1 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone experienced their headlights flickering while driving at night in their Envoy's. The dealer just changed my gasket around my license plate and I'm not quiet ready to go back yet and wait for hours. It also looks like this gasket will be a continuing problem. The glue is starting to seep out again. I've looked at the other TB and Envoys in parking lots, and thier gaskets do not look good.
  • Options
    ann1ann1 Member Posts: 12
    Do the rubber strips you added help out with the wind noise at all? I've also noticed that when I looked over my Envoy up and down to see where the wind noise is coming from. I just can't believe how you can move around that cheap foam like material around the wheel well. This vehicle lacks a lot of quality for the price that they are getting.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I have a 2002 Envoy SLT 4WD with the 4200 and a 4.10 rear axle. It tows my 5000# boat/trailer just fine. I have surge brakes on the trailer so didn't even need to add a brake controller. The air suspension is really nice to keep the back end level when towing. I could probably use some kind of side mirror extension, but I have not seen a side mirror extender that is specific to the Envoy or other triplets.(Or should I say Quads now that Buick is in the picture?)
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7012&sid=18- 1&n=157

I like it better than my wife's Bravada. Bet it has a nicer interior also!
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    Forget to mention mirrors. The only extended mirrors I've found that work are the metal kind that mount on the fender above the front wheel wells. They are tubular and use a turnbuckle to adjust the fit. FYI, boat towing is different than towing a travel trailer because of the difference in frontal mass. I tow a 3000lb boat/trlr regularly and it tows MUCH easier than my 1963 13' hunting trailer which is only 1500lbs. By easier I mean that you tell it's behind you less and it affects control less.
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    No problem with flickering headlights or license plate gasket on my '03 Envoy SLT. In fact I don't have any problems with my Envoy.

Does your Envoy sit outside in hot sun during the day? Maybe this is why some have gasket problems?
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have the Ascender (GM TB/Envoy clone). Good vehicle, although sprung a bit to soft for highway driving (IMHO). Two questions. One is my radio/cd player went bad and they replaced it. The new one now gets a cal error code and the light controls do not illuminate at night. Dealer is unsure how to fix this as Isuzu/GM has no program fix for this error code.

My second question is regarding the heater floor vents. I took the vehicle in complaining that even when the fan was turned up high, the airflow to the floor vent was weak at best. This is despite the loud noise the fan makes when turn up to 4 or 5 and for floor vents. Dealer of course found no problem. Is a weak floor vent air flow common? Thanks.

Rick
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    WAKE UP GM! This is the vehicle Buick should have built instead of a Bravada with a new front end.
    Yeah it's still a Triplet, but it's really looks (and probably drives) different. If Buick had this they would fly off the lots and they wouldn't have to give 0% financing a month after introduction.
  • Options
    kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2002 black Envoy, and when I was driving on the freeway yesterday, the vehicle slightly in front of me in the next lane ran over a paint can. I swerved and avoided the can, but my Envoy's front end is now two-toned (black and light gray).

Today I was able to clean the paint (it appears to be latex based) off of the windshield with WD40 and a Brillo pad, followed with a strong ammonia/water wash. The windshield appears to have no more paint and is clean. I was a bit worried about the WD40 streaking the windshield, but it came out fine.

Now for the obvious question. How do I get the paint splatters off of the clear coat? I did wheel the finish two years ago with 3M swirl remover, but I don't want to over do it. Should I clay-bar the finish, will WD40 hurt the finish, or is there anything else that I can use.

I do have Zaino on the truck, but the last time I Z'd the truck was last autumn.

Any suggestions from the experts??

I also am posting this in the Zaino forum just to get a good cross reference of replies.
  • Options
    A clay bar was my first thought.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Depending on how bad the damage is, I might consider getting my insurance company involved and letting an auto detailer or professional bodyshop remove the paint splatters. I guess it depends on what your deductible is and how much they would charge. Can't hurt to get estimates from an auto detailer or bodyshop. Or they may even tell you on the phone what they usually use to remove similar splatters. Let us know what you find out is best. That might be useful to know sometime.