Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• ericevansericevans Member Posts: 33
    How much room is left in the hole after installing a standard head unit? Enough for another device about the same size?
  • kram18kram18 Member Posts: 45
    If my memory serves me the space left below the new headunit is a tad smaller than the new headunit its self. I'll check it out after work and let you know for sure.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    No, I don't have a "Jerry" complex. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I thought of people driving while watching TV.
    Hey Eric, I looked closely at the space beneath my head unit and it looks like it's about 2/3rds the height of the actual head unit, meaning you def. couldn't fit 2 head unit's un there...

Mark
  • tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone experienced a very slight stumble or surge at mid-range (1500 to 2500 RPMs at 35 to 50 MPH) with the A/C on? It's hardly noticable but annoying and stops when I turn off the A/C. It has always done it but seems to be getting worse. Almost as though the compressor is seizing up(?).
  • deadwooddeadwood Member Posts: 8
    Look for it spring 2005.
    Well that sucks. The layout in my Blazer was so much better. But noooo...they now like the shifter and brake in the center to make things sportier. That looks nice and all but it sure take away a lot of room.

Hey, you know that little slanted foot rest on the left below where a pedal parking brake would go? Why didn't they have the floormat extend over it? I don't see why they didn't put in a floormat hook either. Oh well.
    I sent an email to PAC Audio about their AUX adatper.

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS with the factory Class II RDS radio
    without an external changer installed. Would the AAI-GM24 work with my unit?

Reply:
    As long as you don't have any of the factory add-ons like XM radio, factory changer or entertainment system, etc.
    I forgot to mention that the adapter is available at Logjam for $100.
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    I would guess it is the compressor cycling on and off and is normal, although I have not noticed this. If it is under warranty I would call the dealer, if not then I would not worry about too much unless a/c performance suffers.
    I installed a K&N filter into my TB and saw a few extra horses put not much in fuel savings. Has anyone here experienced the advantage of a complete K&N intake?
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    just went today and called GMAC I am paying off the lease early as I ordered a Toyota Sienna XLE LTD today . the TB just not good as a family car and after two years I have just had enough of the front end bounce as I call it. the van should be her in a few weeks so if anything else is wrong with the TB I will let you all know. GMAC will take the truck back as long as I pay off the balance and they are taking 2 months off of the payments . This move also lowers my insurance and it will save my back from picking up my 2 and 1/2 year old son. thanks for all your help guys see you on the sienna boards.
  • pete2002pete2002 Member Posts: 36
    An update on my 2002 TB. This will be my second fan clutch replacement. The first time it was replaced at 20K plus because of the nuisance early morning roar that lasted several miles in the morning. Even after getting the PCM updates to correct this, they eventually figured out the fan clutch was defective. They also replaced the A/C low pressure switch because of my complaints about the hot A/C air after being parked outdoors for a while. Everything worked fine until I reached 28K. I noticed the A/C was not cooling down sufficiently after the vehicle was left outdoors under the sun for a while. It would take a few miles of driving for the A/C to cool. I started to experience the infamous warm air phenomena that many of you have written about for the second time in my ownership of this vehicle. I noticed that the compressor would cycle in and out alot before it would eventually stabilize and cool down. I too suffered from hesitation because the compressor would engage in/out several times. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the low pressure switch for the second time. I did not notice any significant improvement but since I read so much about this stuff here I figured that this would be one of those things you have to live with if you want this vehicle. On Friday the fan clutch stayed completely engaged at start up and has been running like this for the past day now. The service engine soon light is on and it sounds like a jet turbine under the hood. Although mechanically the truck feels sluggish because of the 100% clutch engagement, the A/C is cooling better than ever. Even after leaving the vehicle parked outdoors on several occasions and it is hot out there, the A/C starts to cool down immediately at start up. Monday I am taking it back to the dealer for repairs, but the point here is that when the fan clutch is fully engaged, the A/C problem is gone, and the A/C cools down nicely even in hot weather. This sort of supports an earlier post from an ASE mechanic that mentioned the problem/issue between the PCM program and the fan clutch engagement and how this contributes to the poor A/C performance of this vehicle at start up. I am posting this to see if anyone else has come to the same conclusion. Also beware if your A/C is not cooling down sufficiently at start up, even after all the PCM upgrades and low pressure switch replacements, your fan clutch may be acting up. I think many of you will sooner rather than later experience a failure with this component...this will be my second replacement under warranty. Dealer cost to replace this is estimated at $600.
    Pete, thanks for the info. As I read this forum and the various problems (mostly electrical) of the TB's I can only be thankful that my 2003 LS 4x4 has had only one a/c switch replaced early on and thats it. No electrical gremlins, no front end issues, etc... Since I plan to keep her a while, I have been thinking about an extended warranty just in case. What are the best options out there for extended warranties?

Thanks in advance for replies.
  • bruser1bruser1 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 02 Tb with 31000 miles, the vehicle would't start this morning so I tried to jump it with a portable jump starter called Everstart. That didn't work so I took the bat to Advanced and their equipment showed it had 460cca's remaining. The truck lights up but not the slightest indication of turning over. I thought starter or alternator but no telltale signs there. Anyone run across this condition, I'll have to have it towed to the dealer if I can't figure out whats wrong. TIA...
    Bruce
    I do not know if we are allowed to provide a specific company but I did enroll in an extended warranty. I got cold feet when I saw the cost on the warranty repairs so far on this truck. Over two thousand and counting. I cannot afford to re-purchase this truck over time since I already paid for it once. I also looked at trading up for a newer model since I figured all the new model woes would be worked out but they would only give me a $16K trade allowance. In any case, if you plan on keeping it to 100K, I would recommend it, especially if you experience the failures I have thus far. I do not know how the 2003 are performing. If it is ok to discuss warranty companies by specific name, I will tell you who I bought from.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    Ignition switch maybe??

Good Luck
    Wxman
  • aschroederaschroeder Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT with 28,000 miles. I do normal driving (no trailers or heavy hauling). My brakes started making a squeaking and then grinding noise.

I replaced the front pads and rotors. Upon looking at the front brakes the inside pads on both wheels were gone (metal on metal) and the outside pads had almost zero wear on them. I looked at the back brakes and the same wear pattern was obvious. All the inside pads are almost gone on all four tires and the outside pads seem to not wear at all.

I replaced the front pads and rotors, greased up the slides, etc. I performed the work myself, but brought the pads to the dealership to show my concern.

The dealership gave me the run around saying I might be riding the brake when I drive, etc or that I have a bad caliper (4 bad calipers? Yeah, right). I ended up leaving disgusted because they never even offered to take a look at it. I was talking with the Service Manager.

What could be causing this? I don't have many miles and don't want to be replacing brakes every 20k miles. I feel as though I should write to Chevy, but I don't know where to start.
    I would like to get this taken care of before the warranty runs out.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

-Adam
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Company names are fine - we also have a Extended Warranties discussion here with lots of company names named.

Steve, Host
    I do not know if we are allowed to provide a specific company but I did enroll in an extended warranty. I got cold feet when I saw the cost on the warranty repairs so far on this truck. Over two thousand and counting. I cannot afford to re-purchase this truck over time since I already paid for it once. I also looked at trading up for a newer model since I figured all the new model woes would be worked out but they would only give me a $16K trade allowance. In any case, if you plan on keeping it to 100K, I would recommend it, especially if you experience the failures I have thus far. I do not know how the 2003 are performing. If it is ok to discuss warranty companies by specific name, I will tell you who I bought from.
    I purchased Warranty Direct, zero deductible, 100K miles, 6 yrs for their Max plus policy. The price was spread over 10 mths. I figured with the repairs experienced thus far, one major repair in the next couple of years will pay for itself and then still have some coverage left for the unforeseen. What really concerns me the most is the electronics on board this truck. It could get expensive really fast and I would not trust an after market service shop because of the sophistication of the electrical design.
    Im not sure how long brake components are under warranty for but I thought it was 12,000 miles. I would let the dealer look at the calipers and make sure it is covered by warranty. Also bring the pads back in to the service manager as backup.
    It appears I can purchase a GMPP warranty today that will cover bumper-to bumper 0 deductible until 5/3/08 or 94,000 (the 4/72 plan) for about $1,500. I average about 20,000 miles per year and have 22,000 miles now. This seems to be very reasonable and would provide a lot of peace of mind for a not so reliable truck. Thanks for the replies and link to the extended warranties forum.
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    This is my first time posting on this forum. I bought a '04 TB in Dec 03. No problems so far whatsoever unless this is one. My wife and I both notice a "growl"-type noise right at 60 mph, which remains until we either speed up or slow down 3-4 mph. We don't know if we should be concerned or not. No other symptoms. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Zonk
    check your information before you buy. The 4 in 4/72 is the number of years from date of purchase of the truck, not the purchase of the warranty.The 72 in 4/72 is the mileage on the odometer x 1000. Your extended warranty will expire at 72,000 miles, or 4 years from the date of purchase of the truck, whichever comes first. What you are getting is basically 1 extra year and 36,000 extra miles. This is not much for $1500.00. Make sure the warranty is transferrable in case you decide to sell the truck. It will make the sale easier.
  • bertman48bertman48 Member Posts: 15
    Zonk...do a search in this Town Hall for "humming" or "vibration" and you will see a lot of discussion regarding this problem. My 2003 TrailBlazer has a humming/growling and vibration (felt through the accelerator pedal) whenever it is in Overdrive (4th gear), going 58 - 60 mph, with a load on the motor (i.e. accelerating to go up an incline). The dealer replaced the rear springs which didn't solve the problem. Others on this message board indicate they solved the problem by having the drive shaft replaced or re-balanced. I had my drive shaft re-balanced. It definitely changed the sound of the humming/growling, but it still has the problem at 58 mph...just a different sound. To the best of my knowledge, GM does not know what the problem is. I am having a difficult time getting my dealer to do anything to solve the problem. They keep saying there is no TSR to address the problem, so their hands are tied. I hope it is not something wrong with the transmission or torque converter, but I can't get anyone to investigate that possibility. Be sure to post a follow-up if you are able to resolve the problem.

Thanks,
    Bert Mandeville
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    FWIW, mine used to do that but hasn't now for ~10k miles, got 30k now. Nothing changed or replaced that I can attribute the "improvement" to!
    Thanks for the info. I wull continue to shop for a better deal on extended warranties.
  • tamtedtamted Member Posts: 3
    just bought 2004 envoy,paid $1400 for extended warranty from dealership, 0 deductable and 72 months or 72,000 miles. check 4 dealerships ,prices vary from $1400 to $1900. i still think you can bargain a liitle lower. Good Luck
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    check with the dealer when actual expiration is for the 4/72 service contract. GM sells both ways. This one could expire 4 years from purchase or from inservice date, your salesman will be able to tell you.
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    02-TB

Does anybody know what those black dots are for by the mirror. Are they just a decal? I need to paste a tranponder on the windshield for auto pay on the Bay Bridge - but don't want to interfere with anything electronic.

(ps where is the GPS antenna? Is it the cell phone antenna?)
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    I was putting techron in my 02 TB and the little metallic looking piece of paper that seals the bottle, about the size of my thumbnail, went into the Gas Tank. Is this a problem? Is there a screen or filter I can go clean so that it does not cause me any problems?
    The fuel pump has a screen on it so it should not be a problem lest it disolves and plugs up the screen and or the fuel filter. If you haven't changed the fuel filter, it is recommended by most dealers to replace it every 15k instead of the owners manual recommended 30k. You should also change your oil after running the tank of techron gas through. Techron leaves some nasty stuff in the oil, chemicals that are hard on seals and gaskets.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I don't know who you spoke to but extended waranties don't add on to existing mileage.
    The 4/72000 plan is from the day of purchase of the vehicle, not the waranty. So it is really a 1 yr/ 36,000 mile waranty added to your 3/36000 factory waranty.

It appears I can purchase a GMPP warranty today that will cover bumper-to bumper 0 deductible until 5/3/08 or 94,000 (the 4/72 plan) for about $1,500. I average about 20,000 miles per year and have 22,000 miles now. This seems to be very reasonable and would provide a lot of peace of mind for a not so reliable truck. Thanks for the replies and link to the extended warranties forum
    I have the in-channel EGR's and was looking for my mothers car and found this site.
     http://www.4vehicleaccessories.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=2_98- &stryear=2002&strModel=Trailblazer&strMake=Chevy&- catd=1&PHPSESSID=24be0c9dbfaf4bc40a5e2f6ed3ce1de9

they were only $59 and $10 cheaper than JC Witney and offer free shipping
  • elsteveelsteve Member Posts: 1
    Whether or not a service contract adds onto existing miles or goes from 0 on the odometer is up to each contract company to decide. GMPP does add onto existing miles. It also times the package from the date you buy the service contract.

A 4/72 on a 22k vehicle will get you 4 years from the day you pay and 72,000 miles to drive (94K on the odo)

I'm a manager at a GMC dealer, own an Envoy and a GMPP service contract.
    Thanks for all the replies. I will call the dealer I received the quote from and specifically ask all these questions before purchasing. One can only hope for the best. By the way, nice find on the EGR price.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    my new 2004 toyota sienna is in . I am sad to see the truck go but not that sad as i will now have the room and my kids will finally be separated . And i will not have that bumpy sound coming from the front end. It is still there after all the work they did. Well any way just to let you all know that this board was very helpful and I hope the toyota boards are just as helpful but I hope i don't need to use them that much.
    My 5/75 GM major guard plan was purchased from GM on Dec. 2001 with about 4k miles on the odo. I bought the TB in July 2001. GM says it expires on July of 2006 or 75 k miles. Who is being lied to? Why would they extend the mileage and time indefinitely, based on the time of warranty purchase. It doesn't make sense. Would they give coverage out to 8 years or 111 k miles if I bought the warranty after 3 years and 36 K miles? Can someone who realy knows please answer this question.

P.S. I deleted my previous post on this subject due to uncertainty of my source. The people at the GM plan didn't seem sure of the answer.
    got this info from
    http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmppfaq.html
    Adamjeeps was correct, read below.
    My 1st quote fell under (A) but it seems it is better to wait, see (B)

WHEN WILL THE PLAN EXPIRE?

A.) Brand New Vehicles "INCLUDING" vehicles less than 12 months old "AND" 12,000 miles on odometer. All plans expire when the odometer reaches the miles designated in the plan or when the months designated in the plan is reached. The months are the total months the car has been in service.

Example: A vehicle purchased new on Jan. 1, 2004. You purchase a 72 months 75,000 mile plan. The plan will expire Jan. 1, 2010 or when the odometer reaches 75,000 miles regardless of when the plan is purchased.

B.) For Vehicles over 12 months "OR" over 12,000 miles on odometer. The plan length and miles starts at the date of the GMPP purchase and at the odometer reading at time of purchase.

Example: On Jan. 1, 2004 you purchase a GMPP on your two year old vehicle with 23,507 miles on the odometer. You purchase a 24 month / 36,000 mile GMPP Major Guard. Your GMPP plan would expire on Jan 1, 2006 or 59,507 miles.
  • theforce2723theforce2723 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I have a 2002 Trailblazer LTZ 4WD with 25,000 miles. I had a rear end grinding sound accompanied by a vibration. It happened mostly after driving for extended periods on the highway and only after taking off. I took it to my dealer. They suggested a rear differential service. I agreed and they told me they found a very small amount of metal pieces when they changed the fluid. They flushed it and replaced fluid. Now, 7 months later, while taking off I get a deep sound (sounding like a deep aftermarket exhaust or a leak) Only happens under minor load while taking off. The dealer checked the exhaust and found nothing. They acknowledge a sound but say they don't know what it is. I don't accept this answer. What should be my next step? I only have 5K miles left before the factory warranty is up. Should I (can I) demand that they take apart the rear end to find the problem. My brother (ex-mechanic) says that there are a number of bearings, or shims that could have been chewed up in the gears. Does anyone have any ideas? I need to get this fixed before vacation and the warranty runs out. Thanks in advance. Brad
  • theforce2723theforce2723 Member Posts: 2
    Mark,

Your TB looks good. What coils did you use? Is there an aftermarket kit? How many inches of lift did you get? Also what bar do you have on the front? I'm thinking of lifting mine but I didn't know they could be lifted yet.

Thanks,
    Brad
    theforce2723@yahoo.com
    Thats the japanese 2" up coil lift. Mark bought it through a middleman who he will have to provide. Cost was $750 or so including shipping then, may be more now since the dollar has dropped in japan.
    There's more on it over at mct.truckmoxie.com

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/4wd-tuhan/
    People riding shotgun contantly complain of the seatbelt locking on them. Is it supposed to be so sensitive or do I need to chill out my driving?
    Hi Brad,
    The coils are from Japan, they gave me 2" of lift it is a set of 4 new coils that replace the OEM ones. Then I put a set of 265x75x16 goodyear MT/R's on which gave me an additional inch of ground clearence. The front brush guard is a WAAG 1 piece brush guard and the driving lights are Hella Black Magic's. If you want to get in contact with the person who sells the Japanese coils (the Japanese company has an agent in California who will place the order with them as their english isn't too good over there) send me an email @ mark (at) kerchoff (dot) com. I tried posting the info in this board once as per another member's request and got in trouble with the moderators as they considered it advertising.

Mark
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I had the same problem. Dealer replaced under warranty and no more problems. Dealer did say they replaced a few of these for same issue. I don't remember if there is a TSB on this. I do know there is recall coming for 2002 triplets front seatbelts.
    I would go back and demand that the rear end be thoroughly inspected. I don't think you should have any metal shavings in your rear end oil, so they should have analyzed the situation further then. Since they acknowledge the fact that there is a noise you have the upper hand. The factory warranty expires at 36,000 miles or 3 years from purchase date. Keep us posted.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Where did you get the info for the 2002 front seat belt recall? When can we expect to be notified?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    might not help your locking problem. NHTSA says the belts don't hold passenger in tight enough!

The front passenger belt is designed to tighten up if pulled out all the way when you go to put it on. This is for installation of a child seat, but people often pull the belt out far enough to engage this feature without realizing it.