Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Looks good - I'm not sure if it's a 5 or 7 seater, but I like 5 seaters like the old Nissan Axxess. Mazda had the Premacy in Europe in this configuration:

Looks like a mini minivan (it's NOT a typo)
    High seating position
    Seats 5
    Available in MT

Another comment: I believe the MPV is available in Europe in 5spd MT. Can anybody confirm that?

Dinu
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Dinu,

In the UK the MPV has a 5M. Don't actually see any mention of an auto option!

Steve.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    We don't know that the '04 MPV coming to Europe is the same one we'll get. There could be trim changes. For sure we won't get the 5-speed stick shown the Euro MPV :-( and I don't recall seeing an in-dash NAV system on the options list for North America. But if we do get this van as pictured, I was wondering... does anyone else think the front end is reminiscent of the last-generation 626? I too prefer the edgier styling of the '03 MPV, and a faux titanium dash doesn't do anything for me.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I agree - I was expecting more of a Mazda6-ish front ent, but the '04 has more of a Millenia or 626 look to it. Not necessarily a bad thing, and I'm looking forward to seeing one in Winning Blue or Pearl White.

<back to lurking>

-Jason
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I also don't see any sign of a GFX option package in the 04 pricing on the Mazda site.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Maybe that's why the new design looks a bit old...
    it's similar to the old 626/Millenia. I was expecting a sportier, "Mazda6" look as well.
    dinu02.....the Mazda4 apparently will be a 7 seater (probably truly comfortable for 6...4 adults & 2 kids). Even though it's based on the Ford CMAX (strictly a 5 seater), I guess Mazda wanted to differentiate it from it's corporate sibling.....hence the sliders and the 7 seats.
    It's dinu01 not dinu02! :) No worries though.

I was expecting that too - a little more edgy and the Mazda6/Mazda3/Mazda2 front end instead of the rounded one.

Now about the M4 - if they make it a 6/7 seater, doesn't that compete with the MPV? Unless they want to take the MPV out of Europe. Hmm...

Dinu
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    (slip of the finger, i guess!)
    I'm wondering if the next gen. MPV (which will be built off the Mazda6 platform) will grow in size to match the Odyssey/Sienna/Quest etc. I know that may disappoint those of us who like the current MPV BECAUSE of it's size, but it would open the door for the Mazda3-based Mazda4 and then, at least, we'd have a choice:
    Sporty, compact Mazda4 or full-size MPV.
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    ... maybe the VW will bring the Touran in NA.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    A bit sketchy at this point with only one exterior pic and only the names of some colors, including "Tsunami Blue Mica" !!

BTW, can anyone estimate for me the interior distance (length) from behind the front seats all the way to the rear? I live aways from the nearest dealer or I'd measure it myself.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    is correct. Here's what is being shown at the Frankfurt show as the 2004 MPV...

Compared to Edmund's alleged 2004 MPV, which looks to me like a 2003...

Then, compare it w/ the 2002 MPV (looks the same to me)

The 2004 will have different fenders hood, grill, front bumper, rear bumper, different tail lights and side sill extensions. It'll look distincly different than the 2003 model. Steve... some QC?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm confused - I don't see the MPV listed anywhere from our Frankfurt Auto Show link on the main Edmunds.com page. I don't see it under the Future Vehicles link either. Got a link?

And remember, I'm not the only one around here with access to the Feedback Form :-)

Stay tuned....

Steve, Host
    bugging you!

I don't think that the MPV is being represented on the Frankfurt site, actually. I'd link you, but you'd have to delete the post, Steve.

Or... if you have access to their Euro press site, you can see the photos there as well.
    Yeah, but where is our 2004 pic posted?

I must be missing something obvious... need donuts...

Steve, Host
    Is found right HERE*. Wheelz4 posted a link to some 2004 photos in post 6471, as well.

Incidentally, on Mazda's US press site, the photo that Edmunds is using for the 2004 (which I posted last night) is labled '2003 Mazda MPV.' :-)

Donuts? Oh thx... is the KK open there yet? I'm going to Boston soon and I know I'm going to try and find a KK there!
    The KK opens here on Oct. 7 I think. I figure the lines won't go away until the tenth at the earliest, so I'm going to avoid the rush. Maybe get some at the Albertsons and microwave them instead.

Thanks for the link; sure didn't see it anywhere since I went to Most Researched on the New Car pages and didn't page down. Feedback submitted - stay tuned.

Steve, Host
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The MPV is scheduled for a total redesign for the 2006 model year....but this may swing a year in either direction....it will be built on the MZ6 platform.

There is also a type of sport wagon with AWD in the works for the same time period. not exactly a minivan, not exactly a car and not exactly a SUV....sorta in the middle.
    A Washu-type of vehicle, maybe? Sport Wagon... I like the sound of that!
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    I love Edmunds discussion groups but I am sorry to say that Edmunds information is full of errors and in my opinion at this point Edmunds has no credibility whatsoever.

The best example is information about new MPV 2004. When you check standard futures for ES model Edmunds claims that ES comes with manual sliding doors and there is no option for power sliding door.

This information is false and according to mazdausa.com and kbb.com power door is available for both LX and for ES models.

This is once again Edmunds error. I wonder what editors are doing to improve the situation. In the meantime I would never quote Edmunds as my source of information. Maybe with the exception of this group where javadoc will never let slip to the public and bull.

mazda guy
    I'll let slip to the public. ;-) I just have to be careful how I do it, so that I don't get my posts deleted by posting info about competing websites (which might have better info...) LOL.

Yes, I'm jabbing, but gently.
    Unfortunately I'm in Boise and editorial and the data people are in Santa Monica, so I can't walk down the hall and administer dope slaps. Oh wait, that's a different car site too - never mind.

I didn't get the usual automated response to my earlier feedback so I'll try again. I'm beginning to wonder if we have the '04 links pointed to the '03 stuff.

Steve, Host
    Hey, we're miles apart...

Gimme a Krispy Kreme!!!
    hmmm, your halibut for my donuts. Has possibilities!

For something else completely off-topic (since there's no MPV news out there, at least no accurate news <g>), Full Test: 2003 Harley-Davidson V-Rod

Steve, Host
  • ltswinltswin Member Posts: 10
    I saw a post a couple of pages back about how many "problem" posts are on the MPV problem board, but many of them are just chit-chat posts and someone asked if anyone every sifted through them all. Well, call me a nerd, b/c I did...LOL I sifted through each and every one of them trying to make my decision on buying a van. And I was so impressed with the MPV vs some of the others, that I now own one.

Just had to admit that....I was really into researching so I did my homework.

Laura
    There's a twelve-step program for MPV-Addicts... ;)

Welcome!

Steve... I didn't even get out halibut fishing once this year. Such is the way of my new job. I did slay alot of reds and silvers though.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Hey Steve--
    The review on the '03 V-Rod has images labeled as '04 models. Same problem, only backwards.

And can someone PhotoShop some roof racks onto the MPV pics in Java's post #6487?
    :)
    lol, is this week not over yet?

Steve, Host
    We're really bustin' some Edmunds chops today. <evil laugh...>

I don't think I've seen a pic of the '04 w/a roof rack, but I do have 30 pix on my server of it. <tease, tease> We're gonna drive you to drink Steve... Starbucks, that is.
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    my thought is that Steve should have this entire mess resolved by 5:00 p.m. today (Friday). The reputation of the entire MPV fan club rests on your shoulders Steve! Now get hopping!

Krispe Kreme's are on the way!

No Pressure! ;)

Leslie
    If you go to Edmunds new car section and check 2004 models for Honda you will learn that there is no Coupe listed there.

Looks like Edmunds is going throgh downsizing stage. I rather stick to this group only which is probably the best part of Edmunds.

mazda guy
    Downsizing?

Not me... must be all those KK's. Maybe all the data people are all out test driving Harleys these days? They aren't returning my letters either <g>

Steve, Host
    "I rather stick to this group only which is probably the best part of Edmunds."

Nonesense!

Try the Mazda6 and Mazda3 forums too! Other Mazda freaks :)

Dinu
    I agree, and one more great group - Mazda RX8. That's the one I am aiming for. Hoping to replace my wife's 2001 Acura TL.

mazda guy
    The flagship is an impressive engineering feat IMO.

Dinu
  • sebr0d1esebr0d1e Member Posts: 17
    I hope Mazda makes the next generation MPV in both short wheelbase and extended...that oughta stick it right to Honda's Odyssey. And several others for that matter.
  • adeeladeel Member Posts: 9
    Hello, I am planning to buy a front end mask for our 2003 LX to help prevent so many bugs sticking during long drives. The ones that Iam finding are for the 2001 model year, nothing more recent. Will those fit on the 2003 or has there been some change in the hood design since. Thanks
    I think 2001 is different than 2003. I am not sure, however, if the bra is really a good idea.

I live in South Florida, where we have plenty of bugs, and what I found out that if you use a bra then you need to clean the bra afterwards which is a pain in a butt.

Secondly, if you keep the bra long enough and you remove it you may find out that the hood paint faded a little from the sun while the part of the hood under the bra did not.

Finally, the bra is not cheap and can be as much as $200. For this price I can repaint the hood and have it like new.

Just my 2c

mazda guy
    The film sounds nice, but it's pricy.

Car front end protective bras & film

Steve, Host
  • jpspenojpspeno Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to buy a new MPV before Feb 2004. I see there are currently incentives. I also have access to S-plan pricing.

With the incentives, is 0% APR really that? No fees, no interest? Is a down payment required? (Assuming I qualified)

And are there usually incentives for new models? I.e. do you expect incentives on the 2004 MPVs?

Thanks!
    Don't expect any incentives right away on the 2004 MPV vans. The current incentive is good (right now anyway) till the end of September on all remaining 2003 models. I'd expect it to continue until all remaining 2003s are gone, actually, but of course you can't quote me on that. ;-)

Perhaps, by next Feb there will be incentives on the 2004s but no promises. It all depends on if you're the gambling type, and if you like the 2003's styling over the 2004's styling.

However, yes, 0% does mean 0%, no hidden anything. I'm not sure about the downpayment, but if you're getting S-Plan, your LTV should be low enough to nullify any downpayment requirement, IMHO.
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    My only down payment when I got 0% was the $500 deposit from when I originally ordered the van. I paid $200 over invoice.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I didn't even put down a dime.....financed the taxes, licence, etc.
  • jpspenojpspeno Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the answers. Very helpful. Now we just need to test drive one. :-)

And if I can't get the features I want now, I guess I'll be forced to wait for the 2004 models and hope for for incentives on them in my timeframe.

Another question. Does the MPV normally have a roof mounted console of some sort that the moonroof deletes? Or is that console thing only there with a DVD player?
    If you get the moon roof you will not have the console for storing sunglasses and the garage door remote opener. Without the sun roof, there are two flip-out compartments in the ceiling.
    is designed for your garage door opener. You put it inside and then pop off a plastic piece... great place for it.

Too bad they don't offer Homelink... yet.
    when you can make inexpensive mod for it. :-)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/167987/garage_door_opener_m- od.jpg

No really, the HomeLink is a nice thing (have it on my 300M), but I use only the one button anyway.

BTW, someone will have HomeLink galore "soon", isn't that right? LOL
    I just use a Clapper, but my neighbors are getting tired of hearing me toot my horn twice every time I open or close the garage door.

Steve, Host
    I'm going to completely avoid, as best that I can, responding to that last post about you having the Clapper...

I've seen some homelink modifications on MPVs before.
  • jwtotojwtoto Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 MPV with factory installed fog lights. Today I just realized that when I have the fog lights on and switch to my high beams, the fog lights cut out. Once I switch back to low beams the fog lights come on again. Does anyone else here have factory installed headlight/foglight equipment that operates this way?