Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• lttbndclttbndc Member Posts: 1
    excuse me, what is a triplet? I have an 03 Trailblazer EXT LT.. and I am having heating problems, ie. the longer I drive the more likely I am not to have heat on my driver side. Has anyone else had that problem?
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Sometime back in 2001, someone suggested referring to the Chev. Trailblazer, GMC Envoy and Olds Bravada vehicles as the "triplets" because they shared so many components. Since then, the name has stuck. Your cars' heating problems have been mentioned before. Do a search of "heat problems" at the top of this screen at the search this discussion box for mentions of the problem.
  • aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    A quick comment on the filter change, I use mobil 1 oil and a higher quality fram filter change oil every 5k, with the oil filter I have never spilled anything? The trick, un-screw it very very slowly , the oil hits the black plastic lip on the frame into your catch pan? I have never had an issue, I could see it would be a problem if you did not let it drain slowly, because it holds almost a half qt.

2005 model, I had some collision work done and was given a 2005 TB, I own a 2003. All I have to say is it drives and handles better, its a tighter vehicle around corners, and has less road noise. I couple of white gages some plastic chrome pieces, thats about it. I did like the 05 better, but with all vehicles anything brand new is better. I own an 03 TB 4x4 with 32k<---I love it, very few minor issues.
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    If it works, a picture of the truck with the Wind-Jammer installed should be below:

http://www.chevytruckworld.com/gallery/ylab/164705.jpg

If the picture doesn't show up, just click on the hyperlink to go to the gallery I've setup.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Juice over in the Subaru forums uses the plastic bag trick. I tried it the last time I changed my Outback's oil and it was still messy. The latest trick I've heard is to use a quart plastic milk jug around the filter after you break it loose. Maybe I'll try that next time, but I'll still keep the kitty litter and rags handy.

Steve, Host
  • paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    I purchased an auto-dimming mirror from a 2004 Silverado to put into my 2005 Trailblazer. I wanted the auto-dimming function as on my 2002 Envoy.

Checking the wiring diagrams, both pin-out the same. I put the mirror on and it works well except for the temperature read-out.

My Trailblazer is an LT, it has the auto dual HVAC controls that display the exterior temp there. This temp readout still works ok but the one in the mirror displays "OC"

I thought maybe it was stuck on 0 degrees C but that isn't it, it just doesn't display the temp. maybe the problem is the double display is throwing the circuit a curve. But the lower control display works fine.

Has anyone else tried this mod? any ideas on how to fix it.

(My older mirror did not display the temp, only the compass)

Thanks

Paul P

ps: a couple years ago, there was a guy nicknamed "gmdrone" who answered many questions like this. Is he still around?
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    How can you tell if a dealership will treat you like a customer?? And if one will jerk you around.In the service dept.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    How can you tell if a dealership will treat you like a customer?? And if one will jerk you around.In the service dept.

Easy; they're the ones that I go back to a second time. There are many Chevy dealers where I live, so they can play nice, or I can pay elsewhere.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Any chance to get a rear view?

Is that your red Z06 parked next to you.
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    I'd be a poor one to ask, for sure. Last three dealers we've dealt with, super sales experience, real modern competent looking service department, horrible service. I'm beginning to think it's a corporate requirement to botch oil changes and routine service, and do the absolute cheapest warranty repair possible, get you out of the garage any way possible. Those Japanese brands are starting to look pretty good to us right now and we've never driven anything but a GM product.
  • allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    I still can't believe they removed the auto dimming mirrors. Have it in my Bravada and Regal and wouldn't buy a new car with out it.

How much cheaper can they make a $ 30,000.00 or more truck and get away with it?

Allen
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    Aren't you wasteing a lot of $$, changeing Mobil 1 at 5k. The Envoy manual states 7k, or when the light comes on. I have 4k on the dealer service and plan on changeing @ 7k, or when the light comes on. I have in the past changed M 1 @ 20k with no problems,93 Aerostar with over 100k, Mobil tech said I was throwing away good oil.Have a 96 Ranger w/66k, same schedule,no probs...
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Quality service department in my opinion is a management and personnel challenge. I've used both GM, Ford, and Toyota service depts, and the good ones are well managed with top notch personnel. I've had bad experiences at all above, along with good experiences at other service depts representing the above. It sometimes is trial and error to find a good service department. A big feature of a good service department is personnel that listen to the customer's problems. Good luck.
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    I just bought a 2002 envoy with the same diesel sound at startup. I left the truck overnight so the mechanic could listen and, of course, said there is nothing wrong with the engine. I had a 1990 lumina with a similar sound and GM later had a silent recall and extended the warranty on the 3.1 engine and replaced the bottom end no charge. Maybe take it to the dealer and document it if there is a recall in the future.
    Hey, 25K-27K truck 26 bucks at Walmart is not going to break my bank. Its like people who cut coupons and drive around to buy milk @ .30 cents below the other store, Yeah but your gas costs $10 bucks to drive around? OH WELL! to each in own, every 5k gives me something to do other than sit in the house, better yet work!
    The noise is common, when its like 30F or below, I would recommend a good synthetic oil, since it flows better, I use mobil 1 seems like it helps!
  • ally1ally1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My husband and I also have a lemon Trailblazer that we'd like to have Chevy buy back. We've had this truck in the shop at least a few times per month since we've owned it. They've replaced the main computer (three times!!), the gauge cluster, the ignition twice. They told us that the transmission was damaged because the main computer was signaling incorrectly (?) but they wouldn't fix it until it truly breaks. The car will randomly choose to not switch gears and rev and then act like it's going to stall, and last week the window on the rear driver's side door just fell inside the door. The car also idles rough, which nobody seems to be able to fix. Sometimes it acts like it is just going to stall. I drove my kids around for three days without a window while we waited for parts.

We could use any advice that any of you have to offer, especially those who have been through the process.

So far Chevy has been very reasonable. They extended our bumper to bumper warranty to 100,000 miles. The problem is that I need my vehicle for work, and can't be taking it back and forth to the shop every week as we've been doing. Usually they provide a rental car for us (which is so hokey, I'm a Realtor and it is embarrassing to have to show property in a rental....) Last week we had it in twice, picked it up yesterday, and today the check engine light is on again. We would like to own the dependable vehicle we thought we purchased to begin with-- in fact, the reason why we bought a Chevy to start with is because we believed in their quality. I've spoken to many people, and I really believe that the majority of the trailblazers are good quality, we just got a lemon.

BTW, the dealership gave us a really good deal on it, saying they had to move it off the lot to get new inventory in. At the time I trusted what they said, but now I wonder.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I'm new to this forum, so it would be easier to have you email me directly, my addy is invisible_sun12 at yahoo dot com. (I don't know if they blank out email addresses here or not, so...)

Thanks so much!

Ally
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm new to this forum, so it would be easier to have you email me directly...

That tends to defeat the purpose of a message board - which is to share information and experiences. Stick around and enjoy the boards - and welcome!

tidester, host
  • denthodentho Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem for quite a while. Just gently pry-off the metal around the lower part of the wiper arm where it swivel around the rivet on both side, then apply a lubricant or grease, ensure the full motion (fwd and aft) of the wiper arm, it should move very easily and voilà.

Note: Prior of doing that I also change the blade and the spring without luck. Now it works like a champ.
    Has anyone had to replace shocks yet? At what milage?
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the tip. I currently use 5W30 valvoline full synthetic. I haven't had the truck during warm weather. I can live with the noise as long as there's nothing wrong. The truck is awesome and I can hardly here it running when it's warm.
  • trailblazertrailblazer Member Posts: 1
    You have got hello, in the meantime, the ball old level if it was great whom you to me gebn could thanks. ah@stegpc.com thanks.
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Does anyone have any info on how the new Equinox is holding up? I owned an 03 TB and am now in the market for a new SUV. I like the TB but am shocked at how much the sticker price has risen on these since I bought mine 2 years ago. Yeah, GM gives big rebates, but it doesn't mean much when they are inflating the price as much as the rebate is. Anyways, I'd like to hear info on the Equinox. It is a little smaller and has less power then the TB, and I don't think it sits on a frame, but it looks interesting anyways. I'd like to hear about interior room, handling, power and mileage from anyone here that knows. I don't do any towing so I may not need, nor can really affoard, a TB equipped as I would like.

Thanks
  • ally1ally1 Member Posts: 2
    Tidester,

Thanks for the reminder. I'm still here. I just wasn't sure I would be able to wade through the net to find my way back. I agree, it's definitely beneficial for us all to share what we've learned.

Ally
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Hey man i got a 03 tblazer now its alot of stuff bear with me now. I do not know you might be in oh i am also. Now we have alot of chevy dealers and would not you belive it i have been to just about all of them. And they are not good service wise for example there is a tsb for a steering wheel problem the wheel has a rubbing sound when you turn it to the left mine is i think is getting bad. But you know what it pains me to take my auto in and it comes back to me with the same mess before i took it in. And some of these clowns will give you the runaround about how they won't fix the problem they do not come out and say it but say something of the avail like its not loud enough or its normal i mean wow man it becomes a real dissappointment to buy a warranty and you get this mess. Lastly um when will you change your plugs will you use bosch or delco will you do yours?? or will you take it in and have someone do it.Is it safe to say to tell a dealership that do not call me until the problem i have given you has been fixed correctly can you do that??? Besides all of this man its more like tachometer etc. thanks. mook
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you haven't already discovered it there is a "Bookmark" link at the top of the messages section of this page. If you click on it you'll be able to get back at any time by clicking on the "Message Center" link near the top of the left column on any page. It's quite handy!

tidester, host
    I removed the rear wiper arm and I took a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the wire shaped like a "C" that connects the spring to the wiper arm. I squeezed the "C" in the middle and twisted as I held tight into the shape of a "V". This simply stretches the spring to place more spring pressure on the arm and it works 100% better.
    Why not just apply some WD40 to the joint, it works very well.
  • jaybird50jaybird50 Member Posts: 9
    We have a 2003 Trailblazer (32,000 miles) and noticed that in snowy conditions, even though we switched to 4X4 High, front wheels were not turning while rear wheels were skidding. After three visits to the dealer, who obviously did not check to see if front wheels were turning after first two visits and repair work performed, 4X4 now appears to work--lights blink and very subtle sound of actuator engaging gear. They replaced encoder motor and added new kind of transfer case fluid. Also installed a new actuator and reprogramed the transfer case module. If you are skidding and think you are in 4X4, think again and check those front wheels! Check on this BEFORE your warranty ends because these repairs are big $$$$$$$$$! Time to buy a Toyota?
    I first tried WD-40 and that helped and then used some PB penetrating oil and that worked better but it still missed a 6" strip in the middle of the window. Now it just misses about 1" on the top.
    Mine had the same problem, 2002 with 14k, back in October. The same parts were changed but my 4x4 switch did not light up.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I just read an article in Automotive News that Saturn is going to sheet metal for many body panels because the plastic panels have a 3 millimeter panel gap, and while this isn't much, customers are aware of it and consider it a quality issue. Most of the gaps on my envoy are in the 5-6 millimeter range, some closer to 7. I won't even go there with the hand sized gap in the front bumper. If 3 mm is too much for a Saturn, how can 6 mm be OK on a $40K SUV? Or could the body on my Envoy be plastic?????

Greg
    Ford is better than Chevy
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    No way a #$%^ is better than a *&^$#! No one can debate that! But nothing compares to a !@$. My 2 cents.

Greg
  • gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    I'm looking to install one of these bars on my Envoy and was wondering where I should try looking.
    I got my Hotchkis kit for my Envoy from http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/

You can also buy directly from Hotchkis, if I remember correctly they have free or low cost shipping.
    You'll be glad you did it.
  • tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    gmcman,

Search this site under Hotchkis, Eibach, Bilstein and BFG Comp T/A HR4s.

I did all of the above on my '03 2WD Envoy. The biggest improvement came from the tires and the Eibach springs. The Hotchkis is definitely worth the price and nicely rounded out my other upgrades. I didn't get as much of a bang-for-the-buck from the Bilsteins but got them at a great price and don't regret putting them on.

You're on the right track and believe me, you can make your Envoy MUCH better than the way GMC made it!

tmarkb2
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    I'm at 102K - and Big "O" told me time to replace front struts and rear shocks. They use "Monroe Reflex". Quote, w/alignment, $750.24.

Anybody know about this - and whether it makes sense?

- WPK
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    tmarkb2 - I don't have an Envoy (yet) but have tested a couple and have wondered about the shocks. What is standard equipment? The smooth ride in even an SLE would suggest that Bilsteins might be std. What is in the Trailblazer vs the Envoy??

Thanks

Ken
    tpken,

Bilsteins are the standard shocks and struts, however, they re-valved them for the lower, stiffer springs (Eibach) a lot of us were going with. The strut and shock tubes are actually a little larger too. They are definitely an improvement but I expected more.

If you want to see how crappy these things are straight off the assembly line, follow one around town or on the highway and watch how many jounces you can count after it hits a bump in the road. Pretty scary considering the significant weight that'll move around on a high roll axis if you make any sudden transitions with the steering wheel.

You mentioned that you don't have an Envoy (yet). I spent approximately $1,500 on the suspension and tires on mine between 500 and 1,000 miles. I now have 29,000 on it and can't image driving it all this time without these upgrades. I love it.
    Thanks Steve.

IdahoDoug is welcome to his opinion but given the way my Envoy is now set up, I wouldn't drive his Land Cruiser around the block!
    "General Motors said Friday it is ending production of the GMC Envoy XUV, a five-passenger version of its midsize Envoy sport-utility vehicle with a power-sliding rear roof that is intended to convert the vehicle into a pickup."

Inside Line

Steve, Host
    R.I.P. Envoy XUV.
    How does this price compare with OEM parts at the GM dealership? Does your suspension feel weak or is Big "O" just hunting for $$$$.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I'd like to see GM make available as an option on stantard TBs & Envoys the XUV-style two way drop or swing tailgate with the power roll down back window. The liftgate rear window that opens seperately, to me, is useless.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Just to let the web masters know with this Inside Line Beta there are a few odd text overruns and overlaps with Firefox. 100% successful on other sites.
    A few other bugs have been reported this weekend (mostly login and font issues). Check in Inside Line Feedback and Questions or Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... if you have interest.

Steve, Host
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Whoa!. I'm getting giant type on Internet Explorer, and small type on Firefox. What gives? (I'm no computer geek as you may have surmised.)