Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Huh? You need to cool off before you post, I had to read it 3 times to understand it.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    You know those 4.10 gears, AWD, and 400 hp combined with 4 speed auto = 12mpg I would guess.

If they had utilized a beefed up 5L50E 5-speed automatic from the Caddy SRX rather than a "new" 4L70E 4-speed tranny, they could have gone with 3.55:1 gears, had almost equal low-end torque multiplication to the wheels from the higher numerical ratio 1st and 2nd gears in the 5-speed, and get good highway MPG in OD.

Then there's that weird box-looking single exhaust tip. You'd think they would have learned that lesson from the flop 2004 GTO. What happened to dual exhausts exiting out through the rear bumper fascia on the Trailblazer SS concept that's been shown for the past 3 years?
  • cmugradcmugrad Member Posts: 2
    Hey there!

I have a 2002 Bravada with 54000 miles on it and it's in the shop again having the same repair done on it that was done at 40,000 miles. There is something going on with the transfer case...so I am told.

Symptons - When I turn to park the vehicle it feels as if the drive shaft is binding up and the vehicle stops rolling forward without me putting the brakes on. The same thing happens when I put it in reverse. It also makes a howling noise (similar to a low fluid in the power steering noise...I don't know how else to describe it) when I turn it and feels like it wants to lurch.

The first repair involved tearing apart the transfer case and replacing internal parts as well as the rear pinion bearings.

The second repair has involved (so far) the replacement of the transfer case encoder, replacement of a u-joint and resealing of the transfer case.

I am at my wits end because after this second "repair" it's much worse than it was before I took it in.

The mechanic is giving me some story about calibration of the module, and shims blah,blah,blah. But I have a feeling it's more than that.

Any input would be great!

PS. Um...to wade in on the extended warranty topic...I would highly recommend buying it. So far these repairs have cost me $200 when they could have cost me $4000.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Thanks for these bar link numbers,tblazed. Did you put these on your vehicle and, if so, how do they work?

Question: Would you or anyone else out there happen to know the diameter of the front sway bar on the '04 Envoy and the size of the mounts? I tried crawling under mine to measure them, but it's not the best way to get accurate measurements. The following retailer has urethane mounts for the Envoy, but you need to know exactly what size to order.

http://www.truckaddons.com
    Not installed yet- I have them here "in stock" ready to go someday when my originals start getting loose and noisy.
  • gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    I had the same problem on my '02 Envoy at 10,000 miles and told the dealership something was loose in the front suspension, they could find no problems. Then at 15k, 20k, 30k, the same diagnosis. When I went back at 40K they miraculously found it and replaced only the right side and the left one had the most play, right after my 36K warranty went into my extended warranty with a $100 ded. Get this, after 4 comebacks at 2 dealers they wanted me to pay for the sway link, man was I mad as a hornet! I went in for my taillight recall at the same time with a 2 week notice for the appointment and when I went to pick up the truck the receipt stated they had to order the circuit board for the taillight which the recall was for in the first place. Where has the customer service gone?? As for the link my words of wisdom to my service writer got me out of the bill but it really got my blood pressure up. So before your initial 36K expires get every little squeak, rattle, or problem on paper because murphy's law is for real.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    This is why I have been encouraging others to go along with the service writer on the test drive. Make sure they go over the same bumps you do when you hear the clunking. I think GM has good and honest dealers, they just have to be prodded to see the problems.
    And I agree, Murphy's Law was written with the triplets in mind.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    "Question: Would you or anyone else out there happen to know the diameter of the front sway bar on the '04 Envoy and the size of the mounts?"

The dia. on my '03 Envoy is 44mm. Many of the mounts have elongated holes thus will fit a range of sizes. You should be able to get close with a ruler and eyeball.
  • slipkidslipkid Member Posts: 10
    you are talking about the ride being on 4HI?

this happens to me also, it's annoying but other triplet owners here at work have the same issue.
    Still works like a champ on the roads but a biatch to park. Was told it's not a major problem so no one was bothering to have it fixed.
  • bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    I think the 04 Envoy front sway bar was changed so it is different from eairlier Envoy's.
  • rounder911rounder911 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 Olds Bravada has the air ride suspension in the rear. One side does not inflate as high as the other side. It does't seem to go down during driving but does not go to the same level as the other side. Is there a sensor that may be bad that can be replaced? Is there a way to get them to level out by adding air manualy or do I need to go to the dealer?
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Each side has its own sensor. Sounds like a trip to the dealer, as no way to manually add air.

Has it always done this or is this a recent notice?
  • rounder911rounder911 Member Posts: 2
    I have just noticed this recently, but just purchased the car used so it could have been that way when I bought it and just didn't notice it. I hate to go to the dealer and spent $95.00 an hour for something I could fix myself. I suppose sensors aren't to friendly to replace!!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    With gas prices going up everyday, I decided to change the air filter in my '03 TB with 19,000 miles. Went to Auto Zone and picked up 2 Purlator air filters for TB's (my wife drives an '04), and an air filter for our '04 Corvette.
    The guy rings it up and says the total is $53.68. I asked how much were the air filters??? $9.99 for the Corvette and $19.99 each for the TB's. I asked are you sure???? He looks in the Fram book and says yep, same price listed for both. Is that what everyone is paying for an air filter???
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Sounds kinda steep! But I wouldn't know how much they are, as I have a K&N filter. They last about 50,000 miles, but you have to clean and re-oil them as frequently as you would ordinarily change a conventional filter. You can get one for as low as $50. It will eventually pay for itself and give you better performance.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    I know about K&N's, used them in my Mustangs. Just remember to remove them if you go in for service. They have been known to mess up the MAS. As for the "better performance" I'm not so sure. I never noticed any better performance. But you are right, they are cheaper in the long run.
    Today I went to Pep Boys and NAPA and they were all the some price--$19.99 for a standard TBair filter.
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    If you go back to message 15029, there are several messages regarding this problem, including what I did to correct mine on message 15071.
  • cmugradcmugrad Member Posts: 2
    Whoever told you that it's not a major problem needs their head examined!

The first go around with this a year ago ended up with having major parts of the transfer case and rear pinion bearings replaced....

This second go around ended up having the transfer case encoder replaced (which GM knows is failing!), the U-joint replaced, and the transfer case encoder motor (which AGAIN...GM knows is failing!) replaced.

I picked it up today after the dealer having it for a week trying to find the problem (up to and including trying to tell me that it was the tires causing the problem!).

How I got it fixed properly was I ended up asking the mechanic to find another vehicle on the lot that was comparable to my Bravada. Boy did I luck out! They had the same exact year, make and model (right down to the same color!) that I took the mechanic in for a spin around their parking lot. Making the same sharp turns as I did with mine. What do you know! NO BINDING UP! It finally dawned on them what exactly was the problem and that I wasn't some crazy woman complaining about "normal binding". (I'm sorry...binding in a vehicle is NOT NORMAL! No matter what your mechanic is telling you....something is wrong!)

Well they finally figured it was the transfer case encoder motor, which they replaced and presto! No more binding, turns tight corners smoothly without grinding to a halt 1/4 of the turn, and there is no laboring on the straight way.

So moral of the story.....binding ain't normal. Driving a vehicle in 4HI all the time ain't necessarily good for it either.
  • paulschneiderpaulschneider Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever identify the problem with the clicking in the dashboard. My dealer says it can be fixed for about $700. Dashobard has to come out to fix. Can GM be responsible??? I sure hope so.
    Thanks
  • 02envoyowner02envoyowner Member Posts: 24
    After a heavy rain yesterday, I found water drops on the rear seat, driver's side. Looked up: water stain (still dripey) on the inside roof liner. It's about 6 inches over from the middle of the window; approx 6 inches in diameter. There has been no prior problem (known). The car has a sunroof. A leak issue makes me sick to think about. I also have the "pleasure" of having the "surge/clunk" issue -- there is no fix from GM.
    Not looking forward to going to the dealer, particularly unarmed. Anyone experience this (actually, I hope not); would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Sun roof leaks are a common problem, inherent any time you cut a hole in the roof. Most often, the problem is either your drain holes are plugged (try blowing them out with compressed air), or the roof was not completely closed.
  • fife2001fife2001 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my Envoy to the dealer and they said this is totally a lie. Could you please send me the jpeg file to fife2001@alltel.net
    Thanks for the info.
    The roof was completely closed, so I'll check the drains. Where are they? :)
  • chineseliketbchineseliketb Member Posts: 1
    Dear Sir:

I'm in Beijing China. I found the blazer this Sunday & decided to buy it. But I found the news today that the blazer is not safety & ranked the highest death rate in U.S.

I know the 2002 design (trailblazer) is much safety than 1996 ones(blazer). I don't know if the blazer here is 2002 trailblazer or 1996 blazer, I could not get answer here in China.
    I've some photos here.

Could you help me? My email adr is : sonny@castings.cn

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check the 10th digit of the vehicle identification number (VIN). If it is "T" then the model year is 1996. If it is "Z" then the model year is 2002.

tidester, host
    I had to bring my TB in for a second time for a squealing sound coming from the right front wheel area. This time they had to replace the axle seal. This also cost $100 on my GMPP deductible. When I left the dealer, the car died out while idling at a stop light. I re started it and drove to a Mitsubishi dealer who gave me a check for my TB and wrote a very nice lease on a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor Limited AWD. I guess there really was a straw that broke the camels back. I'll see you at the Mitsubishi Endeavor forum.
    Repairs made in 3 years:
    replace engine
    replace wiper motor
    replace instrument cluster
    replace both outside mirrors
    replace both brake light sockets
    add gasket to rear license plate area.
    replace 3 of 4 brake rotors due to rust
    engine cooling fan roaring
    mushy brake pedal
    gas smell upon cold startup
    sway bar links replaced because of clunking
    replaced ignition switch
    drivers side auto dimming rearview mirror stays dark
    all recalls done
    replace right front axle seal

Enough is Enough

Frank
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Frank:

Best of luck to you with the new ride. Have enjoyed having you on this forum over the years.

Dennis
    As for the "better performance" I'm not so sure. I never noticed any better performance.

It depends on the application - the air box, how much air it's getting, is the air cold, or warm. But yeah, on these vehicles, most have noticed an increase.
    hardhawk and others, come on over to the other forum to see what others have to say about their rides. The past 3.5 years have been very interesting here. I never felt it was about the people. It was always about the triplets. But I finally reached the end of my patience with this car, and it was time to either fish or cut bait. I hope the Endeavor is nothing like the Trailblazer if you know what I mean.

Frank
    Highest death rate? No. And at any rate, it has to be better than whatever they're making in China!
    ... let's steer clear of politics.

tidester, host
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Frank,

I feel your pain! GM took back my Bravada and gave me a new Envoy. Almost as many problems, including 4 recalls, but none that have kept the vehicle out of service for 30 days like the Bravada. It's too bad GM didn't do better. I'm afraid to even look at other vehicles because of the huge depreciation hit these thing take. Good luck with your Mitsu.......

GAM
    So if 50 people post on here that their Japanese cars are superior to my Chevy, it's not political, but if I say Chinese cars are inferior (which is well known),
    that's "political"?
    Thanks for clarifying for me.
    Thanks for clarifying for me.

But there was neither mention of nor comparisons made with Chinese cars. A specific question was asked about a specific American made vehicle by a member with a Chinese email address. In that context your comment was either political or a personal attack. I chose to interpret it as a mild political digression.

If you want further clarification then take it to email. Meanwhile, let's get back on topic.

tidester, host
    :-) I think my thread got hijacked for a different topic. np -- but it looks like rain again so I'm very interested in responses.....where are the drain holes? I did some poking around and the sunroof seals look in good shape and secure; perhaps the drains are the culprits. Thanks for the help!
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    My Bravada is hanging out at the dealer again today with the typical recurring issues, one of which is the front stabilizer bar link issue and related clunk felt/heard when going over light bumps.
    A prior post showed 2 TSB's but the dealer is not finding them.
    Can anyone help with providing the correct TSB's? I still have tomorrow to throw evidence at them - Thanks
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    There should be two drain holes, one at the back of the tracks on each side of the sunroof slide track. You probably cannot see them from the opening. The drain tubes should go down each side of the car (hidden) and come out at the bottom of the car on each side. Some cars have them in front of the rear wheels and some have them in back. Once you locate the bottom end of the tubes, you can blow some compressed air into them. If the air goes in easily, then they are clear. If not, then they may be fully or partially obstructed and then you use more air pressure to blow them out from the bottom.
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    The clicking sound was from behind the temperature controlls. It happened to be the A/C Actuator. Since I have the extended warrenty, it didn't cost me a thing. My suggestion, as so many others have made, is to get the extended warrenty if you are going to buy a TB or an Envoy. The money spent for the warrenty is well worth it.
    I haven't looked for the drain holes on the Envoy, but most cars have 2 in front -- a hole at each front corner of the sunroof cutout -- and often, 2 more in the rear where you may not be able to see them. The 2 in front are easy to spot and usually exit just behind the front tires. Try blowing compressed air down those holes. If that doesn't work, or you don't have access to compressed air, try threading a stiff wire down the holes. A coat hanger frequently works on my Alfa.
  • archie1934archie1934 Member Posts: 4
    In the last month or so I have noticed water leaking into my 02 TB LTZ. When it rains out for any period of time, water starts to drip from under the dash next to the driver's side door pillar. Since initially observing this after a rain rain storm, I also noticed a very small amount leaking after going through a car wash. I tried flooding the door seal area but no leaks.

After giving it some thought, this is the first rain the car has seen here on the Mass/New Hampshire border since the windshield wiper motor recall was performed on Nov. 9, 2004. Snow doesn't leak. I don't know if it is related.

Does any one have any thoughts on this or any idea as to where to look for this leak?

Thanks
    Archie
    Your problem sounds like what should have been taken by the Wiper Motor Recall. From what my service advisor told me, they should have sealed all along the edge under the wiper cowling. I would take it back and see if they did it properly. If not, have them do it again.
  • archie1934archie1934 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. It sort of confirms my suspicion. You don't happen to know if this accessed from under the dash or externally? I believe it is accessed from outside since the allowed labor on the recall was only 0.5 hours.

I want to stay away from the servicing dealer since they seemed to have had a large personnel turnover and have screwed up two other items in the last recall cleanup (broke the tail lamp module, tore the shifter boot). I can't even get the oil changed without getting a residual oil puddle after I get home.
    Only thing mentioned in the actual Wiper Recall bulletin (Document ID# 1538294) is gluing a breathable patch over the the wiper module vent to keep water out, that is IF there is no evidence of water ever getting inside the wiper module after they inspect it. If there is any trace of water ever getting inside, replacement of the wiper module is required. Nothing there about leaks into the cabin or sealing anything else.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    "I can't even get the oil changed without getting a residual oil puddle after I get home." archie1934

Yeah, it's a shame that this simplest of services can't even be done correctly sometimes. I have been changing my own oil since I got my first car. When I purchased a new Ford a few years ago, the dealership included the first 4 oil changes for free. I took it in one morning on my way to work and after waiting longer than it takes me to pick up the oil and filter at the store and change it myself, they brought the car out. I got in and went to work. When I got there I decided to pop the hood and check the oil level, just to be sure. Well, they had failed to put the oil fill cap back on and there was oil sprayed all over the engine and soaked into the hood insulation blanket. Needless to say, I threw away the remaining 3 change coupons.
    You may be right since you have access to the document. All I know is that the dealership where I live, the Service Rep. told me that is was to seal the vent to help prevent damage to the module and also possible leaks into the cabin. I can only go by how he explained the recall to me. This rep has been with this dealership for many many years. In fact, he is the most requested rep for when customers bring in their vehicles. He really knows his stuff, so I do trust him on his statements.
    If you want the document send me an email and I will send it to you - 14 pages, PDF format.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Almost 24 hours has gone by and nobody has posted a complaint about their triplett! Has the Earth fallen through a black hole or something overnight? Did I miss it?!
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    GM issued commands thru OnStar. All vehicles fixed ;)
  • gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    Try calling 1-800-gmcares, and let them know what is going on. It has helped me a couple of times.