Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• littlegiant99littlegiant99 Member Posts: 4
    We own a 2001 Denali and a 2000 Envoy. My 5'0" wife drives the Envoy.

We'd like to buy a 2002 Envoy but during the test drive (~75 miles) she noticed that with the seat up (vertically) and almost all the way forward (where she has to have it to reach the pedals), the center console does not reach far enough forward to provide any sort of arm rest. The left side arm rest built into the door is just fine. The 2000 Envoy armrest estends further forward than the 2002 and she finally figured out what was different after driving it for a few miles.

My Denali has fold down arm rests on the inside of the seat but the 2002 Envoy doesn't.

Any ideas on how to cope with this as everything else is just fine. Are the such items (folding arm rests) available as aftermarket items?

LG99
  • jeff237jeff237 Member Posts: 38
    My daddy is bigger than yours. And he is going to beat you both up.

nah, nah, na, na, nah
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Watching Ford tell the world in a news conference last year about how they had been telling Firestone for six years that their tires failed to meet specifications is enough to take Ford off my shopping list - they were admitting to knowingley selling Explorers with unsafe substandard tires ...
  • alanialani Member Posts: 39
    I have a better one, the mechanic did not know how to reset the "engine oil life" meter using the handheld scanner. Eventually, we did it together, it is simple and I should have thought of it on my own, just like any thing else in the DIC, push the button with the gas pump icon till it shows the meter, then press and hold the "enter" button for few seconds, it will reset to 100%.
    It is going to be a while till they learn how to fix things on those cars - yes cars, it drives almost like a car (I had a Blazer & a Tahoe before)

-Alan
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Are there any incentives out there on the Envoy? The incentives all changed on 7/2/01. Some regions had incentives before that, but I cannot find any out there now. My new Envoy is set to arrive any day so am just doing some last minute checking.
  • 9t9wu89t9wu8 Member Posts: 36
    Save your typing fingers. Like we've found in the Mustang vs. F-body discussion; "we won't change their mind, and they won't change ours" ...

or ....

"Don't argue with a fool or a liar" .... I won't elaborate :o)
  • doc35doc35 Member Posts: 23
    Um...enjoy your new explorer.

And...I really don't give a crap what you think

Have a slap happy day and try not to go postal.

hugs and kisses,

Kirk
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    To paraphrase a Seinfield episode, "civility now, civility now".

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• imototoimototo Member Posts: 22
    65panhead...see message # 1550. By reading this board, I've come to the conclusion that there are other ways to get running boards but I've already ordered mine and haven't any idea how you get the "real Bravada running boards".
  • zecgeotzzecgeotz Member Posts: 22
    To: 65panhead

Go to gmpartsdirect.com and enter 12497681 and 12497680. They are the Bravada running boards in black and clear (unpainted, I think) versions. They are different from the TB and the Envoy's. They will fit but won't look as nice. You can get the Bravada boards for $354.35 delivered at that web site. You can then take them to your favorite mechanic or body shop and have them installed for about $50.
  • labrador4labrador4 Member Posts: 5
    Good Morning All -
    I've learned alot by following the chatter here - thanks everyone. I'm very close to purchasing an Envoy or Trailblazer. I'd welcome any opinions why I should choose one over the other, is there a significant difference between a 3.42 and a 3.73 axle ratio, and if I'm getting 4WD and NOT going SERIOUSLY off road, do I need the limmited slip differential? Thanks again.
  • joe_macjoe_mac Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any experience with the 4.10 enhanced towing axle? Does it make a diffence and how does it affect the gas mileage? Thanks.
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    Hi all!

I just test drove a TrailBlazer with a 3.42 axel ratio. What a waist of power! That Trailblazer drove like it had a inline 4 instead of 6. If buying this vehicle, don't get anything other than the 3.73 or 4.10 ratio. Holy cow!
  • rdh559rdh559 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone added this feature at dealer or aftermarket? My LS does not have it installed but was sold to me with it. Dealer was unable to get current GM system installed, seems factory wiring is not compatible.

Dealer will do what ever to correct for me. Are there acceptable aftermarket solutions that anyone has experienced? Suggestions?
  • lyndellwlyndellw Member Posts: 31
    I have the 4:10 gears. Moves out with ease, lots of pull in the 35 to 40 MPH range and right on up. Have 6000 miles and the mileage on the road is 19-21 at 65-75 MPH. In town 14-16 MPG. Also, oil level stays on the full mark.
  • racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    What is the recommendated rear axle ratio for primarily highway driving and occasional camper towing?
  • bradhughsouthbradhughsouth Member Posts: 2
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    This may be a redundant question being as these vehicles are brand new and seem to be selling well, but any incentives or lease deals available? Also, what kind of price are folks paying for these? Is it full MSRP, MSRP plus some, or sligtly below MSRP. I'm not going to even mention invoice or anything close to that as I know better. I'm seriously considering one of these three SUVs and am very impressed with how they drive. Just wanted to get any info I could before I sit down with the dealer. Seems to me deals might be available more so on the Bravada since Oldsmobile is being phased out in a few years and this may affect image and resale down the road.
  • candlbuffcandlbuff Member Posts: 11
    Mosaix:

I been following the pricing for awhile. In today's Houston Chronicle the dealers are offering between $2500 and $4000 off MSRP. I'm guessing that this approaches invoice, or perhaps even slightly below invoice. This pricing may be situation specific, as Houston suffered from tremendous flooding in June, and I would imagine the insurance checks for people who lost cars to flooding are starting to arrive.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen any ads showing $$$ discounts off MSRP for either the Envoy, or the Bravada. I believe that I read somewhere, it could have been here, that Olds is offering 5/60 warranty as a standard item. This compares to the 3/36 for Trailblazer and Envoy. Good luck!

Chris
  • gt01gt01 Member Posts: 6
    I am paying invoice price for my Bravada that is to be delivered first of August.
  • suv18suv18 Member Posts: 11
    I paid $200 under invoice for an Envoy SLT 4WD in Los Angeles through a fleet sales manager last month. You should be able to at least get at invoice if not a bit below like I did. Good luck!
    My new Envoy was shipped last week and should arrive this week. Paid $300 over invoice. Could have gotten for invoice at another dealer, but that dealer was further away (NE OK) and my dealer let me sell my old truck myself and run the sale through the dealership so I could treat the private sale price as a trade in. That saved me $1500 in sales tax, so I consider that I got the Envoy at $1200 below invoice. No one in SE KS or NE OK has any Envoys in stock as they are selling as fast as they arrive. Did see four Bravadas on a lot in NE OK yesterday, but the same dealer sells GMC and had 0 Envoys and about 40 Yukons. I can't wait to get the Envoy later this week. It was ordered on May 16th. The KC Star Auto page on Saturday had a very favorable review of the Envoy by Tom Strongman. Will give a report on the Envoy after I actually have it in my hands.
  • immoeimmoe Member Posts: 15
    Hardhawk, How many weeks to get your Envoy? My has been on order for six weeks and GMC said to call back in two weeks for an update.

Good luck with your Envoy!
  • mikeelmendorfmikeelmendorf Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if you can have the dealer program the Driver Information Center to read the driver's name instead of Driver 1 and Driver 2 (like you can on the Cadillacs--my name comes up instead of Driver 1. Silly, but cool)

Thanks.

ME
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Went to 2 Chevy dealers yesterday and tested the Trailblazer. Most I could get off MSRP at one was $2000 and I didn't really try to deal at the other dealer although he did say $2000 and that he could probably get me a bit more. What really got me was the lease price. I had the first dealer run a 36 month lease with $3000 down and 15,000 miles a year and the price was $602 a month! Needless to say I walked. I could come out better financing it for 60 months with just a little more down. I thought the beauty of leasing was a lower monthly payment and less down up front. I'd still really like to have one of these trucks, but dealers just seem to be wanting to deal too much. And they aren't in short supply. Both dealers had about a dozen in stock and the second guy I spoke with admitted they were not selling as well as originally hoped. This sounds like incentives and better deals are probably down the road. Problem is, I need a car now!
    I'm learning so much from this board! Thank you, one and all. My question, this time, is has anyone gotten (I've been told--by non-official sources---that they probably haven't even been printed yet)a service manual for the 2002 Bravada? Not the manual that comes with the car.....I'm talking about those very expensive manuals on how to fix the engines, how things work...like Chilton's, I guess. Obviously, I'm not a car person. Sorry! The sort-of car person asking said he can't find any on the Internet. Thanks for any help.
  • lyndellwlyndellw Member Posts: 31
    Manuals are available from Helm,Inc. Order blank,toll free number listed in back of owners manual. 1-800-551-4123 ( 2002 Service Manual) $120.00. www.helminc.com
    "The Trailblazer should, and probably will, become a huge success based upon its own merits"

Steve
    Host

• dale532dale532 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I bought a Trailblazer last month and have been happy with it. A couple of fit and finish problems I have had was with the front bumper being loose I was able pick up on it slightly. I went down the line of Trailblazers at the Dealer and about half were loose where you could pick up on the front bumper. The dealer was able to tighten this up.
    Another problem I had was with the left headlamp reflector being loose when I hit a bump in the road the headlight beam will shake. My dealer ordered a whole new head lamp assembly which hasn't come in yet. Other then those two problems the truck runs great also I've found out that women love the way it looks. I've gotten ALOT of comments from women on the way it looks. they love it! Iv'e gotten more comments on the truck then on my camaro when that was new.

As for the shop/service manual according to the e-mail I got from helms It hasn't been made yet and they have a contact list started when it becomes available. anyone intrested in the shop/service manual might want to e-mail helms. The service manager at the dealership told me all he has is a CD-ROM manual on the trailblazer.

Dale
    Immoe, my order was placed on May 16th, so if I get my Envoy this week as scheduled, it will have taken approx. 8 weeks from order to delivery.
    Yet another Trailblazer review.

Steve
    Host

• domino9domino9 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry if this gets posted twice... the first one didn't seem to show up.

I read that the DVD player won't be available until fall, anyone heard anything different?

From the brochure, it likes like you might lose the sunroof when you opt for the DVD player, but it's kind-of hard to tell. Does anyone know?
    -- thx
  • aleasealease Member Posts: 22
    I have heard the DVD will be available in the fall and it uses the same space as a sunroof so you can't get both. I have had my Envoy 3 weeks now and I love it. I feel like I'm 16 again and looking for any excuse to drive somewhere. It took 8 1/2 weeks from order to delivery. Defiantly worth the wait.
  • jbossertjbossert Member Posts: 38
    I have test driven both of these gear configurations and I did not feel a difference. NARG - It sounds like you experienced a pretty dramatic difference. Something doesn't sound right.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Check this baby out....7 passenger seating an available 5.3L V8 power...shall we say bye, bye Explorer??

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3751&n=156,178&sid=178
  • childs57childs57 Member Posts: 15
    The DVD system is available for order now. After talking by phone to the Bravada brand manager in Detroit (concerning availability of Polo Green paint and DVD player), I ordered a Polo Green Bravada with the DVD system on June 28...the first day these items were available for order on my dealer's computer.
    The first production run of Polo Green is scheduled for the week of August 6, so mine should be one of the first green Bravadas on the road. There has been a test production run of 100 vehicles with DVD player, so someone out there should already have one. DVD system production, again, should begin in earnest in August.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Wow... that's one long truck!
  • pbshannpbshann Member Posts: 20
    When you ordered the DVD entertainment system did they give you a price?
  • childs57childs57 Member Posts: 15
    When I ordered the DVD system, it was a last minute switch from the sunroof to the DVD system (you cannot have both, as has been explained previously). The sunroof was $800.00 (MSRP), and Olds told me the DVD system was around $900.00, so I just swapped one for the other and considered it a wash. I did not ask the dealer what the MSRP of the DVD was when I changed the order over the phone (I told the salesman what Olds told me, that it was around $900.00, and he did not seem to indicate any different). So, I'm assuming that the DVD system is $900.00, MSRP.
  • blefflerbleffler Member Posts: 22
    Being a new SUV owner, I'm struggling with the best method to secure the spare tire?

Any advice?
    I learned today that GMAC is offering 3.9% financing on the 2002 Envoy in the North Central region. Of course, I don't qualify as I live in KS, and my new Envoy is due in any day. Does anyone else get irritated at GMAC's "regional" approach to these incentives? It sure frosts me to think that if I lived in Iowa instead of Kansas I could be saving money on the exact same vehicle. GMAC will probably expand the program to my region the week after I close my transaction. Makes me think I will skip GMAC all together as I am not going to be screwed by them because of where I live. If I have to pay more in interest, it will be to someone else!
  • flyguy5flyguy5 Member Posts: 35
    FYI I got 6.99 at the dealer through Banc One. You may want to check them out.
  • akajoeakajoe Member Posts: 69
    Wow, saw 3 trailblazers in one day. They look very cool - refined sporty styling. It's a winner. Maybe GM is finally getting units out to the dealerships. In the past, I have seen one Trailblazer on occasional days, but never 3 within hours on the same day. Also have seen Envoys here and there. Chevy seems to be hitting it's stride right now with the Trailblazer. Still haven't seen any Bravada's except for my own.
  • candlbuffcandlbuff Member Posts: 11
    Hardhawk:

Things could be worse, you could be living in Texas where you would have to deal with Gulf States Toyota. This is the regional Toyota authority that adds all sorts of needless windowdressing to Toyotas that few people want (i.e.VIN window etching?). The catch is that you CANNOT give the Toyotas without the "add ons". You're forced to take them this way. How this is not in violation of antitrust laws is beyond me!

Anyway, good luck to you.
    Thank you, lyndellw and dale! I'd better start saving my pennies......
  • edtassedtass Member Posts: 4
    going to test drive an LTZ, already drove the Envoy SLT (?).

Just read a mag article which overall praised the TB, but criticized the front seating as allowing side to side motion. In the Envoy, I found no bolstering in the front seats, and thought I was rolling left and right depending on the road curve. I am not sure if this is the exact same problem in the TB, but the writer of the article said the Envoy seating did not have the side to side motion problem the TB seating has.

If anyone might kindly post their observations on TB vs Envoy seating, it would be a big help in our purchase decision.
  • jhtjht Member Posts: 24
    I don't know about the TB and Envoy, but my Bravada is reasonably grippy and supportive for an SUV seat.

I'd put it this way: compared to my old S-Blazer and a Dodge Intrepid I used to have, it's pretty solid and holds me down well. Compared to an old Saab I had (a 9000s) about 10 years ago, it's mush. The way I drive, the seat is more than solid enough for my tastes.
  • flyguy5flyguy5 Member Posts: 35
    In an earlier post I mentioned that the TB running boards were on Back Order til 31 Jul. Mine just came in. I got them from GMpartsdirect. The install instructions also say that they are for Envoys. the Part # is 12497885 and cost $240.00 with shipping. Good luck. I'll post how the install goes later.
  • jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    the best way I have found to secure the spare is to go to Home Depot or something like that and get a chain and a lock. I got a chain that was long enough so that I could secure the tire and place the lock so that it would be easy to get too (on the frame where there is a hole closes to the bumper) without crawling under the truck. Hope this helps