Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 02envoyowner02envoyowner Member Posts: 24
    So, I called my dealer and emailed all of your info to fix this same problem. Now, he's asking for more details (is there a recall, TSB?) They always put me through this. So, would it be possible for me to receive (privately) the name of the dealership or other contact info so that I can pass along and hopefully, receive the same repair?
    Thanks again!
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    An update on my stuck seat belt...
    a) I called GMC and their customer service rep researched it and a few days later offered to pay 50% of the total cost for repair.
    b) It took several days to get an appointment at the dealer - then they ordered the wrong size belt.
    c) Finally got if fixed on Monday. Net cost to me was $120 -though it took them nearly an hour (I am not making this up!) to get the bill right with the 50-50 split and the wrong seat belt.

Throughout all this the GMC rep followed up with me with 4 or 5 calls. Also it was the same person following up so they knew the case. I am totally impressed with their level of customer service and follow-up!
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    I ordered the heavy duty Bilstein shocks to improve the handling of my '03 Bravada AWD. So I go to my dealership to have them installed, and the service managers says that it's going to cost me about $450 to put them on (!). I only paid about $230 for the set of shocks. He told me that the rears are easy, but the fronts are "struts" that require removal of part of the front suspension and thereafter a realignment of the front end.

Wonder if anyone else has had the Bilsteins installed & how much you pd.

JR
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Well, I have had my front springs replaced to lower two different Envoys. Yes they do have to remove a portion of the front suspension, etc. Takes about 1 1/2 hours on the front and maybe 1/2 hour on the rear for shocks. Independent shop could do it in 2 hours and should only charge you $150 to $200 in labor (unless you are in a very high cost of living area. You will also need a front end alignment.
  • gardengalgardengal Member Posts: 4
    My radio did the same thing happen to me. I had the dealer reset the codes and the problem is solved.

I have not had the problem with the wipers, however.
  • gardengalgardengal Member Posts: 4
    I have seen a few comments on replacing the fan clutch. Could someone tell me if this may be what needs to be on on my '02 Envoy....

It idles fine, but when the RPMs increase the noise the fan makes is quite noticeable. This would sometimes happen if I ran the car cold, but eventually the noise would go away. Just today I started the engine after sitting for about 15 minutes and the loud sound will not go away and the "Service Engine" light came on and has stayed on.

The fan seems as though it is spinning much faster than is needed.
  • sherman002sherman002 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? Envoy XL won't start, purchased new battery but still no start. Lights, radio, air and everything works but car will not turn over(no clicks). When I try to start the truck an air like sound comes from behind the steering coloumn plus the RPM and odometer gauges goes haywire. It looks like I will have to get it towed to a GM dealership but I was hoping for another solution. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Possibly a defective ignition switch in the steering column?
    I have the same problem the sensor is stuck at 50 F(though, weirdly, when we went up to Tahoe in March, it seemed to be showing accurate cold temperatures at night (6-40 degrees F), then during the day it got warm and it's was stuck at 49 for a while, and 50 degrees ever since).

I took off the grille and couldn't really figure out which screws to undo. I look behind the top sheet metal and I couldn't see any obvious sensor or wires. I'm attaching a few pictures, any suggestions? (see next post)">
    BTW I should add that this is a 2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT with the automatic climate control option. Any suggestions which screws to remove (see pics below):

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

Pic 3:
    Not sure why those images won't display but the URLs are:
    link title

link title

link title
    Sounds like the fan clutch needs replacing. GM has a newer fan clutch that should be used. If DYI, the PCM will need a flash to ensure new clutch works as designed. If no warranty an independent shop should charge less than dealership. Get estimates.
    Also suspect bad ignition switch. Read on another forum owner was actually able to disassemble the existing switch, clean and reassemble. Switch worked fine after cleaning.
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    Try this easy fix.

Bang the starter motor a couple of times with a tire iron. I'm serious. I own an 02 TB and an 02 Envoy - and have had this problem from time to time. If it reoccurs, sooner or later you have to replace the starter moter because the solenoid is integral.

Give it a try and let me know.

- WPK
    Bought a set of Bilstein HDs from eshocks.com a month ago. Cost approx $240 for set of four. Took them to Big O Tires (Sonora, California). Cost $149 to install (No alignment or anything else, just install).

- WPK
    If you had the front shocks (struts) replaced, then you really should have the alignment checked.
  • chootschoots Member Posts: 21
    My 02 Envoy's air conditioner will be working fine until I stop for some reason and let it sit for a few minutes. When I re start, and go on my way the a/c will not be cooling. I have found that if I stop again and just turn the ignition off and then back on the a/c will start working. Anyone else had this problem? Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Carl
    Yup. Good point. These tires are already pretty trashed though - so I was going to wait until I replace them in the fall....

- WPK
    Sorry nothing to do with Bilsteins, but hoping that wpkelleysr will see this...WPK, can you please help me with the outside air temp sensor since you replaced yours (per post #17253). I just can't figure out where the sensor is (see posts #17796 & 17799).

THANKS!
  • aerogirlaerogirl Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Envoy, and when you get in the car and go to pull on the seat belt to put it on, the seat belt is sometimes stuck and will not pull. Anyone have a similar problem and know how to fix? This happens on both the driver and front passenger seatbelts.
    On my '02 Envoy XL SLT I never had this problem with the driver's side, just the front passenger side. In some sense this is a feature, the seat belt locks with acceleration and has to be fully retracted before the passenger can put it on again.

However, I had a related problem where the front passenger side belt was stuck in a halfway position and just got it fixed last week. GM was kind enough to pay for 50% of the repair.

Search for "passenger seat belt" or "passenger seatbelt" in this forum and you should see several posts about this. Get it fixed ASAP while you still have it under warranty.
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    There a TSB on this. Pull out hard and then feed a little slack into the unit to release it. Allowing the belt to run in fast when getting out causes it to lock. SNOKING
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    Hi, this is from the tsb for this problem:

This condition generally does not require replacement of any parts. This condition is the result of allowing the belt to enter the retractor at a high rate of speed. If the belt is allowed to go all the way back into the retractor very quickly, it is possible that the force of the belt stopping suddenly against the seat back will vibrate the retractor. This vibration "fools" the retractor into thinking that the vehicle is changing velocity. The normal function of the retractor under this condition is to lock the belt.

How to Correct or Eliminate the Condition

The only way to completely eliminate the condition is not to allow the belt to retract back all the way into the retractor quickly. The fast retraction usually occurs when the customer holds the latch while unbuckling and guides the webbing into the retractor quickly until it's fully stowed. As long as the customer guides the belt at a slower rate of speed, the retractor will work consistently without locking. Also, if the customer unbuckles the belt and lets the webbing retract on its own (without guiding it), there is generally enough friction from the belt against clothing to slow down the belt so it won't lock when it fully stows.

If the customer does allow the belt and latch plate to retract quickly, the retractor can easily be restored to normal operation. Simply pull on the belt to create some slack in the webbing and pay back some of the webbing into the retractor. Slack can also be created by pushing on the foam at the top of the seat back. After a maximum of 10 mm (0.39 in) of webbing is introduced into the retractor, it will unlock and function again. Please demonstrate this action to your customer. After an explanation and demonstration, most customers should be able to unlock the retractor without a problem. You may give a copy of this bulletin to your customer for further reference.

If this does not work or is difficult, then you should take it back to dealer and have them replace the unit, as there are no adjustments that I am aware of.
    Hope this helps.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    It looks like this:
    http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/.59a452a0!v=

It is behind the grill (valance). It snaps in and is found by following the two wire conduit that it is connected to from the wire harness. Not hard to change, but work to get to! Good luck.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    The ride is very much improved. That along with the Hotchkiss kit has really made a difference. Now why couldn't it have come like this out of the box? There is no harshness at all, just a nice stable ride.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    My dealership quoted me $350. I went to my other mechanic and they quoted me $255. Still high, but hey, $95 difference? Anyway, it's the coil-over-shock design that does it. 3 hours labor for both front and back.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Can someone tell me how they got rid of the clunking in the front end it does this on the Tblazer when i go over something simple like a bump. I will be replecing my oem shocks with bilstein hd so i hope that will do it i hope so let me know someone thatnks.
  • psobkiewiczpsobkiewicz Member Posts: 20
    What model # are the Bilstein HD shocks for the Envoy? Thanks!
    Replace the front stabilizer bar end links with MOOG links and allso replace the front sway bar bushings.
    No prob.

I looked at your photos. You're close, but it's actually off to the side more, between some metal and the front of the radiator.

I'll try and post a diagram that I have on my gallery.

- WPK
    Can't seem to find my gallery

Here's a link.

http://users3.ev1.net/~epadget/tempsens.jpg
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Anyone know if CV joints and boots are covered under GM's extended warranty. Mine are starting to leak at 39,000 miles! Doh!

Also, anyone look under their trucks recently. my '03 is really rusty all over. I thought these frame had special paint applied to them??

Greg
  • carpro3carpro3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi here is the update on my 03 Envoy stalling. They had the data recorder on it all it way tell them that it was stalling 3 min 45 second to 4 min into the first drive after setting and the fuel was going very rich before it stalled. It was at the dealer for a week dealer and the gm tech could not figure it out and it would not stall for them they call be and ask me to come in and road tested with their tech so I did 3 min 45 sec in to the drive it stalled and the tech hit the data recorder again. So it was at the dealer for a couple more days and the call me they turned the information from the data recorder over to a different GM tech and he can up with the purge value for the charcoal canister system was stay open the fumes was making it very rich and the computer was try to over come the rich my lean it out and it would stalling. So it has been two week and know stalling but ever seens we pickup the Envoy it want to vibrate at low rpm wearse if you have the A/C on like when we back up out of our driveway with the wheels turn a little it vibrate the hole time also some time when you are try to take off from a stop it want to hesitates when you give it gas. Took it back to the dealer they say they feel the vibration that it is normal and I tell them that it never done it before and the said they don't feel the hesitation.
    I am still work with the lawyer on mine.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I have noticed my 2002 TB almost stalling quite a few times. If I catch a certain light red which is about 3.5 min from startup in the morning, while I am sitting waiting for the light to change, I will feel it stumble a little at that time if I am stopped, and sometimes the RPM will drop down to 200-300 and catch itself. If I make it through that light on green I would never know that anything is happening. A month ago with its first tank of this new gas with ethanol we have here now, it DID indeed stall out, actually quit running for the first time, while I was sitting stopped, exactly 3:50 after startup into the drive.

I keep a CarChip EX plugged into the OBD2 port and two of the parameters it records are Fuel Trim and RPM. At the exact point the RPM drops, the Fuel Trim goes way lean trying to compensate for the canister being purged. I figured this out a couple of years ago, got it reprogrammed once, it ran better but did not fix the almost stall situation. Since it had never died before I did not pursue it further, and now that it's well out of warranty it has stalled for the first time.

As to the vibration at idle, sounds like they reprogrammed it to lower the idle RPM a little. My idle speed will vary a little bit and when it's on the high side around 630 I can barely feel the engine running. 10-20 RPM slower and it vibrates excessively, to the point the steering wheel will resonate with it and will be visibly vibrating vertically!

Another thing to try is to clean the throttle body. I've not had to, but have read of several that cleaning helped idle problems. Apparently the throttle body can get oil and dirt build up around where the butterfly rests at idle. Result can disturb the air flow, and cause the throttle movement to get sticky when it has to make small corrections to keep idle speed constant.
  • carpro3carpro3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi thank for the info the stall sound the same it stall more after filling the Envoy some time after fueling it would take two to three time cracking to get it to start or if it start the first time it would run very rough and then clear up. Know more problem with fuel or stalling in two week sense the replace the purge solenoid only the vibration I will ask them about the idle. They clean my throttle body, injector and top end two different time when they were try to find the stall.
    Thanks for the help will let you know after I ask them about the idle.
    Pete
    Anyone use I-Pass (or similar) on their Envoy for auotmatic tolls? Does the compass interfere with the
    operation? I'm tired of getting raped on the Illinois Tollway.

Greg
    I use something called "Fasttrack" to go over the Bay Bridge (San Francisco). It's a transponder. Didn't want to put in by the mirror - so I keep it in the side pocket and hold it up to the sunroof when I go through. I used to think that the GPS antenna was in the mirror - but later figured out that it was located in the A Pillar - so my concerns are probably unfounded. It shouldn't mess up the compass - because a transponder doesn't do anything until interrogated. Likewise, the compass is a passive device and shouldn't effect the transponder...

- WPK
    Thanks wpkelleysr for the link that picture is fantastic. I was looking much lower and to the left and I couldn't see it.

I can't get my hand in there to replace the sensor. I suppose I have to unscrew the front panel (the smaller bolt "northwest" of the sensor in the picture).
    Thanks should also go out to N7DON who supplied that picture. (I am the one hosting the picture - "epadget" = tblazed.) Glad to know wpkelleysr remembered it! When that link got posted the other day, I realized that old picture out of the GM manual was in error so I uploaded the actual picture of the sensor connector on N7DON's Envoy. Should eliminate any question about where that pesky sensor is located!
    Tblazed - the new picture's great. Thanks for the original some time ago - I never would have found that $@#*& thing without it.

rj123456: Once I had the grill off, I didn't really have to remove anything else. I wiggled the sensor housing out of the frame, then removed the smaller sensor, replaced it with the new sensor, then stuffed the housing back like it was. Works great now.

- WPK
    Ok thanks everyone!

Waiting on my package (including the sensor) from gmpartsdirect. It says "Shipped DHL" but the tracking # shows Fedex picked it up on 5/22 (and no status after that, weird?).
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    What? You don't like paying double for tolls? :D

I had I-Pass in my Envoy. Didn't interfere with anything. Haven't gotten up the nerve to glue it to the window of my TB SS yet. I'm not on the tollway very often.
  • glags11glags11 Member Posts: 8
    Just leased a brand new 06 envoy..after driving for 2 days i've noticed the brakes squeaking very loudly right before the truck stops and then again right after I press the gas. This happens for about 5 or so seconds each time i break and press the gas, then it stops. Sometimes this squeaking continues when i am driving as well. Any one have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you.
    Since it was new when you took delivery, maybe it had been sitting in inventory a few months and had rust on the rotors, then driving it a couple of days loaded up the pads with the rust and now they squeal. That'd be my guess. Might need to take it back have them clean up the rotors and replace the pads.
    Yeah, isn't it great when you have to pay double tolls if you use the "Official" currency of the USA? HA! I-Pass worked good though. No problems.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I changed my '03 Tblzr transmission fluid at 60k miles. I am currently at 83k and expect to drive about 1300 miles before a one-way trip down south (totalling about 960 miles) within the next 3 weeks. The dealer is recommending that we change the transmission filter in addition with the flush. Should we change the filter along with the flush or should we just get the flush? I need your opinion.
    THANK YOU
  • limey01limey01 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how to open a jammed 2003 Envoy hood. Hood opened fine yesterday, now it's jammed stuck after a 200 mile drive. The release cable appears to be intact and this is the fist time it's happened since new. I tried pushing down on the hood (gently) tapping it, but it's really stuck. No obvious way to release it at the catch...
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    I would not get a power flush of any auto tranny. You stand a chance of flush junk into your valve body. SNOKING
    Why are you going to flush it again after only 23K miles?
    It should be fine for a short trip like that. You not towing anything are you?
    Seems a little premature. You should be fine....

- WPK