Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    In fact i am towing about 800 lbs boxes etc. I went on and did it i did not get response back from you guys so i did it.Another thing on my right wheel when i turn to the left i hear clinging or rubbing or sounds like the wheel is rolling onto something like metal on metal can you guys help me with this. I just went to pick up my auto and they said they fixed it BUT!!!!! the sound i described i HEARD!!! it again. Lastly if it is rust do i have to pay for this??? even though i have gmpp???? thanks guys i will wait for you posts. Ps. The tranny fluid by the way was looking brown so.....
  • kev33kev33 Member Posts: 1
    I own a used a 2002 envoy sle. No real problems (aside from wear and tear). Until I noticed by winter that my rear defrost doesn't work. It was not covered by extended warrenty because all glass is not covered. Told me it would be over 1000$us to replace window because filiments aren't working. Anyone one else have the same problem or advice.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Is there electric going to the glass? Put a meter on both wires to see if it has 12 volts. If it does than start looking for broken filiments. If you find them there should be some kind of repair to them. In the first few years they were out you could buy a little bottle of liquid repair stuff, don't know what it is called. You can also put a meter to each line and see if each one works. I use a tail light bulb and socket with about a foot of the wire from the socket sticking out and a steak on crimped to the wire and a small nail sharpened crimped to the other end of the steak on. Poor mans meter. :shades:
  • poleslivpolesliv Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    My son backed into a pole last week and broke the passenger side tail light. i bought a new tail light but the housing for the the turn signal is broke. Does anyone know where i can buy just the housing? The brake light still works but neither of the reverse lights work. any help would appreciated. Thank You
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Try Ebay.
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    Or your friendly auto recycler (junkyard).
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    I had just upgraded my analog to digital but do not know if this is related to digital only. Six weeks ago I locked myself out of my truck. I called Onstar and they tried 4 times to unlock the doors with no success. I then called roadside assistance and they unlocked my doors by sending someone to my house. The next day it was clear and sunny so I called Onstar again and the door unlock failed. So this time I touched the Blue button and said hello and hung up. After doing that Onstar could remotely unlock my doors many times over and over. I waited another six weeks and the same thing happened again. OnStar could not unlock my doors until I pressed the Blue button, making a connection to OnStar. I called OnStar and let them know this. Their response was that they know this and it is my responsiblity to call them once a month by using the Blue button. If I do not use the Blue button or make a call using OnStar cellular then they can not Unlock you doors remotely or use Horn/Lights locating. Personally I think it sucks. I always counted on Onstar to remotely be able to unlock my doors without having to do any routines. PS. I also found out that if you do not use your cellular once a month then people who try to call your truck number will get a busy signal no matter if your car is on or off. This bad if you forward your calls from you cell phone on long trips. OnStar told me it is because of the Cellular usage. I think they have a costing issue and will not fix it. My wife's TeleAid system on her car does not require this procedure, I can call TeleAid anytime and remotely unlock her doors.
  • trailblazerlstrailblazerls Member Posts: 5
    Hello room

My 2002 Trailblazer has 100,000 trouble free miles :blush: The dealership wants to charge me $500 to replace spark plugs and wires...I think that absurd. Is that something I can do myself? If so can someone tell me how its done and what part numbers I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe :P
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    My 05 Rainier came with one year of free OnStar and I hardly ever used it. After your story I'm glad I didn't renew my subscription. Requiring people to remember to use the system every month so they can provide service is absolutely ridiculous. Just when you need it most it does not work. Doubt that little tidbit will be in the OnStar ads.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    $500? And that was all they were going to do? I would drive away from that dealer as fast as I can! Plugs (ACDelco 41-965) are about $6-7 a piece and you need 6, there are no spark plug "wires" to replace since there is a coil for each plug. Took me less than an 1 hr to replace mine, all accessible from the top when you take off the air intake resonator. Very easy to do - as long as no plugs are seized in the head.
    As Tblazed said, no plug wires. I'm wondering if they were going to replace the 6 coil packs and the plugs for $500.00.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    OK, my first question is why are you locking yourself out so much? Maybe they're tired of unlocking your doors, so they made up an excuse. Second is, where did you get the upgrade? I never heard they were doing that, but then again, I really didn't care. I never used OnStar in my old Envoy. Tried to make a call once, but it was a lousy connection. My TB SS has the digital system and the phone actually works pretty good. But, for the price they get I'll just keep using my cell phone.
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    I do not lock myself out alot just one time. Onstar will not work if you do not contact them once a month, whether you have cellular or not. Just imagine that you have not used the blue button or your truck cellular for 6 weeks and your TB is stolen or you get an in accident. Surprise.... they can't help, your screwed....

I had my system upgraded through Onstar at the Chevy Dealership, I thought about buying a new TB SS to get the digital OnStar system but I was not as stupid or as foolish as you to spend that much money on a truck.

PS- If someone spends 40K plus on a truck, why are they to cheap to spend a $100.00/yr to maintain the OnStar?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Hmmm...You sound bitter. If it was possible to get the SS W/O Onstar, I wouldn't have it. Totally useless if you asked me. You must really like Onstar if that was your only purpose for looking at an SS. Why am I stupid for wanting a 395HP SUV? It gets almost the same fuel economy as my ole Envoy, and is a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

PS - As much as I don't care for them, you DON'T have to call them once a month in order to have them unlock your doors. Like I said, they probably just gave you that line to get you off the phone. :)
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I've got the analog (digital upgradable) On-Star in a 2004 Envoy XL. If you renew your subscription past Dec 31, 2007 you might get a free upgrade to Digital... They will not support the analog system after that date. Found that out last year after I had renewed for 2 years...if you renewed for 3 years they would upgrade for free.

About the only use I see for the cell phone is that if you are a Verizon Wireless customer and have a family share plan, you can add the vehicle phone to that plan for $10 per month and share the minutes (you have to have the digital On-Star to do that.)

BTW, I've only had to use the unlock feature one time...car wash somehow locked the keys in while running it through. On-Star was able to unlock it...analog system. Wonder if the digital system is what is causing the problem with having to use the blue button every month?
    Thanks tblazed...maybe they were going to replace the coils who knows..they said after 4 yrs that the wires could be brittle...weird. So how do I remove the sparkplugs without risking that one is seized? Does it require much force? Also, did you have to gap the plugs or were they ready? Thanks for your help.

J
    I cannot imagine what they were quoting you for $500. I hope there was more to it than that.

Anyway you take off the air resonator on top, and each coil has a bolt that secures it down onto the plug. Loosen the coil bolt, lift out coil. The only one I had trouble with was #1 on front had to unclip and take loose the wire harness holder and move it out of the way a little to get the coil out. The plugs resisted unscrewing all the way out but I didn't have any seized. If they were installed properly from the factory shouldn't be a problem. Also the plugs are plated to resist seizing in the aluminum. Buy some anti-seize compound to use on the threads of the new plugs. Tighten plugs with a torque wrench to 15 ft/lb as I recall. I checked the gaps they were all OK.
  • glubashglubash Member Posts: 19
    PS- If someone spends 40K plus on a truck, why are they to cheap to spend a $100.00/yr to maintain the OnStar?

I'm one of the ones that is too cheap to pay for OnStar, but, if I did, I think that I would call them up a few times a week..."Betty, it's me again, I'm walking out to the parking lot. Hit the unlock for me okay!" Better yet, if they could do a remote start, I'd pay the $100 for that (and call them every day during the winter after work).

Cheers!
    Glubash
    Thanks tblazed. I will let you know how it turns out...I found them for $6 each at CarQuest :) Doing it this weekend! :blush: :P
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national internet news Web site is looking to interview recent (within the past year) used SUV car buyers. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, June 22, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the year, make and model of the SUV you own.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Sunday I had the back hatch on our 2003 Envoy DROP when I went to close it. It hit my hand, but I was able to pull it out before getting it totally smashed in there.

The cause was that the left (driver) side shock on the hatch came off the top mounting ball. As I looked at it closer, I could see that the mounting ball was very loose.

I was able to fix it tonight by removing the plastic side trim on the hatch (on the sides of the window) and then tightening the nut that is on the backside of the mounting ball.

So next time you have the hatch open, take a peek at the shock mounts and make sure they are tight. I'll be keeping a close eye on mine from now on.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Personally I don't care for those shock type supports. You never really know when they have become weak and are only barely supporting the weight of the hatch/hood they are holding up. Add some wind to the mix and you can have a real bad situation. Suffice it to say that I recommend you take care when standing under the hatch when it's propped open. It doesn't hurt to pull down on it a little after opening it to verify that it has some force holding it open.
    I had an incident many years ago with a Taurus I once owned where the hood closed while I was leaning over the engine changing the plugs on the rear bank. I must have looked pretty funny with the hood laying on my back and only my legs sticking out the front. Fortunately nobody had a camera at the ready so there's no lasting record of it, and it didn't whack me on the head so I survived.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • ktliu777ktliu777 Member Posts: 1
    Wow. Are you saying they couldn't fix it and gave you your money back ? I have a 2004 with low miles where the ABS and brake lights stay on, and the air conditioning doesn't work. Did the AC go out on your LS as well ?

Too bad it is out of warranty. Sounds expensive.
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    This has nothing to do with the vehicle. My wife had the same problem with her Verizon cell phone when she hardly used it. It drops out of their system if not used very often. So push Onstar once and a while, and stay great you guys are still there, and I am here, thanks l8r. SNOKING
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who own a car which has cylinder deactivation technology and is happy/unhappy with the fuel mileage it receives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 3, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and what car you own.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati

Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com
    Does anyone know if changing those rear swaybar bushings is expensive /difficult to do? I have been told that they are worn and I wont pay dealership prices for service. Tblazed you have done many repairs on TBs..is this easy? :D

• 02envoyowner02envoyowner Member Posts: 24
    :( Wow, you would think my dealership would be glad to have the resolution to my 2 year old "we don't know how to fix the" issue. Can you believe, they will not do this (even though the issue is verbatim the same) because "you have an envoy, this is a ranier" I called and updated my GM open case w/ this information and, after dealing w/ the initial snootiness :cry: the customer service rep called my dealer but amazingly, the manager was not there.

Essentially, I have no advocate. My dealership mgr did offer that I could always buy a new car. He got quite an answer.

So, I'm left w/ the open case w/ GM, no resolution (even though I have researched and supplied the fix)and zero promise of any correction. Any advice? I guess the idea of "triplets" isn't really true....... :sick:

Thanks!
    What a shame that your dealer is such a ____head (fill in your own adjective). Now I see why that guy drove his car right through the front window of his dealer's showroom back in '03 and said "oops, the breaks don't always seem to work right." He had been to the dealer 9 times for the same brake problem and they told him there was no problem even though he demonstrated the intermittent lack of brake boost to a tech there (excessive pedal pressure to stop the car). His wife and he had both rear-ended cars because of it. The story did not indicate the final resolution but I'm sure he was satisfied, regardless. I believe there was over $35,000 damage to the place - about equal to the price of the new car he bought there.

I fail to understand why some dealers are so unsupportive after a sale is made. I thank my lucky stars I have a top-notch Buick dealer in Seattle for all my work. They go above and beyond on everything. They sell Envoys too!
    Yes pretty much a straight forward job with simple tools if you don't mind getting under it. Are you sure they meant the bushings only, and not the links too? The links are usually what wear out first, and start rattling over minor bumps.
    What a shame that your dealer is such a ____head (fill in your own adjective).

I know, it is very disappointing. And when he said "all cars have problems (ie, it's not just GMCs)" he's totally missing the point. I don't disagree. I have had all maintenance work done by this dealer, worked diligently w/ him, following proper "chain of command", on this issue, and here I find the solution and he says, "we can't, but you can pay for it and then try to get reimbursed by GM." So much for service. So I suppose I will escalate at the dealership, and pursue my open case. But it's very disappointing. Sad thing that he was missing, I enjoy the car and just want it fixed. Will keep you posted.
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Try calling GMC. They paid for half of my seat belt repair even though it was out of warranty. There had been several problems reported on the seat belt and even some TSBs on it so perhaps that why they were good about it.
    I did call GMC and "reopened" my 2-year old case, asking that the "fix" details be forwarded to engineering. Really, my confidence that this will happen is non-existent. The customer service rep called me today and said "we talked w/ your service manager. while we understand the car is broken and you have identified the fix, we cannot authorize repair since GMC has not identified a fix". Have you ever heard anything like that?!

My dealer claims "useless" and suggests that I pay for the repair and then file w/ GM. When I said this to the rep, she said "oh no, we would never pay for that when it's not been identified as a fix".

So she assured me that I had done all that is necessary to document the issue. HELLO, this document has been going on for 2 years; and GM is not even willing to take the research that I/we have provided and fix my car. Just make the repair or send an engineer or let me call them!

I'm currently spent; trying not to get annoyed. My service rep offers nothing except "when I hear, I'll call you". Yes, oh that's right, I'm confident that will happen. Sorry for the sarcasm, but that's reality.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get GM to implement GM's solution, please let me know. It's a frustrating circle, which I try to forget; then I come to a stop and the car clunks and surges (now doing that 3 or 4 times at once). :cry: Thanks!!
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Kinda like saying "This fix worked on a blue truck, but yours is red" ! Gotta love it. Is there another dealer you can try?
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I finally went to a high volume dealership here in Atlanta, test drove an 06 LT short wheel base with the 5.3 and fell for it dark grey with black leather. I got the 0% finance deal and traded in my 02 TB. I am going to miss the 02 since it was a good vehicle. The only thing I notice on my new vehicle is a little wind noise on the passenger rear window like the window is not all the way up and a rumbling when braking in the 10-20 mph range when coming to a stop. Funny thing about the rumbling is it does not do it when stopping in neutral. Sure hope my drivetrain is working correctly.
    -gmfan
    Kinda like saying "This fix worked on a blue truck, but yours is red" !

I know. It's so sad it has me temporarily.....stymied. :confuse:
  • kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone had to replace their ECAS air pump? I ran over a baseball sized boulder at a construction site that bounced off of the undercarriage of my 02 Envoy a couple of weeks ago and the ECAS hasn't worked since. If anyone has any pictures/diagrams that would be appreciated. Any ideas of the price and how difficult the replacement is.
    There was an Envoy owner on another forum that replaced his ECAS compressor. He bought a used one on Ebay, put it in and was good to go. This is an expensive repair at dealership.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hmmm good questions......if its the links...that is more difficult isnt it?
  • vanessamichelevanessamichele Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes it starts and other times it doesnt. It does not turn over, does not click, makes no soound. I wait a few minutes and then it will start. Any suggestions? I have had it at two Chevy dealers and they can find no codes or anything wrong.
  • nailnetnailnet Member Posts: 3
    Could you help me with the link to the Ambient Temperature Sensor Pic link I need to change my 2002 Envoy sensor
  • gardengalgardengal Member Posts: 4
    I lost all power to the back gate including the wiper and remote locking capabilities. I want to say they had to replace a switch and reset all the codes. My loss of power happened gradually so make sure you check all electrical elements on the back gate before you pay $1000 to replace the window.

I have a 2002 Envoy.
  • sarkelsarkel Member Posts: 2
    I need to change my DRIVERS SIDE low beam headlight on my 02 trailblazer. I found info in the archives on the passenger side ( and it doesnt look like fun) But I've been unable to figure out how to change the drivers side.

thank you for any assistance you may have.
    Yes, what is your email address?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please don't post an email address in a message - it invites spammers! You can find a member's email address by clicking on the name in the "by line" if they have chosen to make it visible to other members.

tidester, host
    I used to have a 2000 Blazer that would do this and it was because of the security system. It thought the key was not the right one becasuse it didn't read the chip inside the key correctly. Did either of your dealers look at that possibility? My dealer ended up replacing the sensor in the column to fix it.
    Trying to help but his email address isn't visible.
  • mikelumikelu Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your A/C fixed? I have the identical problem with an '03 Trailblazer LTZ.

-Mike
  • kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    Can anyone supply a picture/diagram? I crawled under the truck the other day but I really don't know which bolts are for the ECAS pump and/or the shield.

I really would like a diagram so I know what I am doing.
  • chootschoots Member Posts: 21
    Mike
    My A/C has never stopped cooling after the first two times that it acted up. The old "cant fix it if it aint broke" rule. Meanwhile, I am driving around with my fingers crossed in 117 degree weather. Let me know if you ever find the cure. Carl